Veritas Backup Exec OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Veritas Backup Exec is the #16 ranked solution in our list of best Backup and Recovery Software. It is most often compared to Veeam Backup & Replication: Veritas Backup Exec vs Veeam Backup & Replication

What is Veritas Backup Exec?

Backup Exec delivers powerful, flexible, and easy-to-use backup and recovery to protect your entire infrastructure whether built upon virtual, physical, or a combination of both. Backup Exec is licensed per media server, agent and option.

Veritas Backup Exec is also known as Backup Exec, Symantec Backup Exec.

Veritas Backup Exec Buyer's Guide

Download the Veritas Backup Exec Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: October 2021

Veritas Backup Exec Customers

Beta Offshore

Veritas Backup Exec Video

Archived Veritas Backup Exec Reviews (more than two years old)

Syed Anas Quadri
Technical Services Manager at a tech services company with 11-50 employees
Reseller
Offers a more predictable backup and recovery process and has many features

• "The beauty of the solution is that you can rely on it. It offers a quick recovery time when it's backing up items. The way it recovers data is excellent."
  • "The licensing packet is confusing. If Veritas could do a better job of clarifying it, that would be helpful."

What is our primary use case?

Primarily we use the solution for our ERP, databases, and applications.

How has it helped my organization?

The most important part of any organization is the data. When you do a backup, you want the data to be available whenever it is required. Veritas offers a more predictable backup and recovery process.

What is most valuable?

The beauty of the solution is that you can rely on it. It offers a quick recovery time when it's backing up items. The way it recovers data is excellent. Sometimes with other software, a complete backup doesn't happen.

With Veritas, the SLAs are pretty predictable and you can achieve complete backups easily. It offers duplication and compression and the safe sorting of information.

What needs improvement?

The licensing packet is confusing. If Veritas could do a better job of clarifying it, that would be helpful. For example, if you have a mixed environment of Linux and Windows, you end up buying too many licenses. If you compare it to Veeam, for example, it allows you to buy one simple license that you can use on all of your operating systems. They've made it very simple.

The industry trend is moving towards hyper-converged and a regular pay-as-you-go model with more simplified resources. Users are looking for a plug-and-play kind of solution. Veritas should move towards this as well.

I've been using the solution for five years.

The stability of the solution is good.

Our organization doesn't grow much. For our customers, however, it has been very valuable. The licensing structure is a bit difficult. You have to keep buying the licenses even if you have the capacity. It's not simple.

Technical support is pretty good. They are available 24/7.

The initial setup was pretty simple because we have expertise. We are partners with Veritas and we do installations on a regular basis.

In reality, the installation time is even shorter for the Veritas portion. Integration, of course, takes a bit of time. You need approvals for the different application owners, for example. It takes time, but installation is a maximum of one day.

We are a reseller, so we handle the implementation of the solution for clients.

We have licenses that run on a yearly basis. We are paying somewhere around $10-15,000 on licensing a month. We don't have too big of an environment.

What other advice do I have?

We're a reseller of this solution. We also use an on-premises version in our offices.

It is the most preferred backup solution for data protection for our customers.

We use it ourselves for our production environment backup. Whoever is accessing our server, whoever is accessing the sources, is using it. It's mandatory for our organization to understand the product. Everyone including the sales team, the pre-sales, the technical guys,  etc., everybody knows the product.

If you are looking for a safe and reliable solution, I would recommend it. If you're looking for something new, or something sleeker or more simplified which will give you more flexibility, I would recommend a Google product.

In this solution, you have a lot of features. You can use it as secondary storage. You can use it for a backup that's more granular. Like Veeam, you can recover items from the database.

It would be good to add more features, like APIs.

I would rate this solution eight out of ten.

AA
Senior Solutions Architect at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
Good Replication and compression features from a simple dashboard

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use for this solution is replication.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is the compressor. The compression options are very good. This solution has a simple dashboard.

What needs improvement?

The price of this solution is a bit high. Expanding is difficult because if I want to add, for example, a terabyte of data, then I have to buy a disk shelf and it will cost me a lot.

We have been using this solution for two years.

This is a strong, stable product.

Scalability is good but also limited in that I have to buy a full disk shelf in order to upgrade.

How are customer

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use for this solution is replication.

What is most valuable?

This solution has a simple dashboard.

What needs improvement?

The price of this solution is a bit high.

We have been using this solution for two years.

This is a strong, stable product.

This solution has a very good technical support department that is very responsive.

The initial setup of this solution is complex. On the other hand, the deployment itself was straightforward.

What other advice do I have?

This is a product that I strongly recommend, and I plan on using it for the long term.

Learn what your peers think about Veritas Backup Exec. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: October 2021.
542,721 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Algimantas Slabada
IT Architect at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
Simple, easy to deploy, and has good presentation and UI

• "Veritas is simple and easy to deploy. In terms of the presentation and UI, they do their job well."
  • "Maybe they could improve reporting capabilities and predictions."

What is our primary use case?

We're using the on-premise version.

What is most valuable?

Veritas is simple and easy to deploy. In terms of the presentation and UI, they do their job well.

What needs improvement?

I cannot tell right now. I have probably eight years of influence and experience with this product, so it's difficult for me to be accurate here.

Maybe they could improve reporting capabilities and predictions.

I would also advise them to shift more towards open source. They should think about changing their server from Windows to open source. It's not an easy job, but I feel that their next step should involve shifting to that direction.

We have been using this solution for about five years.

Their stability is fine. We have had no problem.

It's not so scalable. If you need flexibility and scalability, you probably need different products. You need to go with a more advanced product, NetBackup for example.

If you have to go with scale, you should choose an enterprise product. This product, from my point of view, is more of a simple product.

Their technical support is very good. We have not had many issues, but it's okay.

The initial setup was definitely straightforward.

It's a good price for the product.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this product.

I would rate this solution as eight out of ten.

Ash Dib
Virtualization Specialist at dk
Easy to install and learn with extensive forums for support

• "I have not seen another backup solution as scalable as this one."
  • "The user interface needs to be improved."

What is our primary use case?

We have an on-premise deployment with a master server and five media servers. There is also Tape Libraries included and the maturity of the solution let us backup everything with assurance.

How has it helped my organization?

Veritas is the main backup solution in our company. We have hundreds of virtual machines that we back up. They are VMware, Windows, and physical servers. It makes our backup process so stable and robust. Everybody with every kind of OS and service depend on our backup structure.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is the SLP, and using it has been very beneficial.

What needs improvement?

The user interface needs improvement. When comparing the user interface to other backup and replication products, it is greatly lacks in UI. In some cases when I have an error, I need to use the command line. I prefer to have access to the logs of different services through UI and even to the services itself.

I have been using this solution for about two years.

About the stability, It has occurred to me sometimes that I have crash on the master server. Sometimes in Device monitor you lose a device but after recovery the state doesn't change and you need to restart the application. But about the Backup processes, it is stable like 99.99. I suggest this solution to those who would like to run backup up solutions.

This is a very scalable solution. If you want to scale outside of our building then it can be done easily. It just requires installation of a new media server that is then joined to the master server. I have not seen another backup solution as scalable as this one.

I have been able to learn how to use this solution on my own, without training. Where I am, in Iran, we do not have an official Veritas branch. Therefore, most of the teachers are self-taught and have not used official technical support.

When I encounter an error, the first thing I do is visit the Veritas forum. Usually, I find a solution to the problem based on the type of error. In fact, the backup forum seems to be full and complete because there is no error that I have not been able to solve.

The installation of this solution was easy. Before the installation begins, you have to know the structure of your company and what scenario fits. For example, we are a company with master media, and we install it on our servers. We have about five full-size media centers and a master server. The installation is straightforward for an IT person.

I and one other person made up the team responsible for implementing this solution.

What other advice do I have?

I have suggested this solution to four of five people. For big companies, with more than fifty people, I recommend this product completely. However, for companies with less than fifty people, I don't suggest it.

For the installation, you need at least two servers and a tape librarian. This is a good enterprise-level solution.

Maged Elgamal
System Engineer at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
Gives us a good view of what's happening on the network and it's now easier for us to correct and to troubleshoot network issues

• "The solution is very scalable. Whenever we grew, it was just a matter of adding new licenses, so it's easy to grow."
  • "In terms of improvements, I think the pricing model could be improved. They charge you by port, for every port that you have even if you're not using all of them."

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case is for authentication, we check for authentication issues. The app allows users to only access the network according to the policy that the organization provides.

What is most valuable?

It gives us a very good view of what's happening on the network. The security feature is very good as well. The network isn't open to everyone. It's open only to those who work on it.

One improvement we've seen is the visualization of issues. If people are having issues on the network, we have to see what's happening right away. On the graphical side, we can see exactly where the issue is, and what port is affected. It's a lot easier for us to correct and to troubleshoot network issues now.

The interface continues to be very convenient and very straightforward.

What needs improvement?

We occasionally have false positives, but the solution certainly has a good configuration.

In terms of improvements, I think the pricing model could be improved. They charge you by port, for every port that you have even if you're not using all of them.

The solution could integrate better with the firewall so that we could block ports that are under attack or compromised. I know that Portnox has this, but I don't think it's something that's really built-in. There are scripts that you have to perform. But if it was more integrated, it would be easier.

I've been using the solution for six or seven years.

The solution is very stable. We haven't had any issues.

The solution is very scalable. Whenever we grow, it's just a matter of adding new licenses, so it's easy. Right now, we are at about 800 ports. 800 devices are currently connected to the solution. It is a system that we use daily. It's always running in the background. We get reports and alerts, and we deal with them as needed. As the company grows, we plan on increasing usage.

We haven't had to contact technical support for a long time. Generally, when we've needed to in the past, we've received good support.

I tested the solution about six years ago. We checked other solutions too, but we decided that this one was the one that would work best. Since then we've been very happy with it.

The initial setup was straightforward. Deployment takes a day or two, and then you have to run the system. To maintain the solution we don't need any resources. It works on its own and we get alerts and work according to those alerts. There's not a dedicated team, just a system team.

We had an integrator that helped with the installation.

Licensing is based on the number of ports you have. Even if you aren't using all the ports, you will be charged for them. The license is renewed on a yearly basis and we do pay for support on top of that.

We evaluated Forescout at the time. The system was more complicated and more complex. I don't know how it is today, however. It took a lot more time to integrate it into the company. It also had false-positive issues, so we decided against it.

What other advice do I have?

We use the on-premises version of the solution.

For what we need, for how we're using the solution, it does what it's supposed to do.

If I were to give advice about the product to others, I would say that it's a very simple solution and it does pretty much what it's supposed to do. We haven't had any problems with it for the past six or seven years.

I would rate the solution at nine out of ten. It's helped us tremendously over the years in locating all kinds of issues that we had on the network. It also finds any issues very quickly. I would recommend it.

Alex Ntow
Chief Technology Officer at EITBS Ltd
An SMB solution that is good for virtual machine disaster recovery

• "The interface, dashboard, and pricing are all perfect."
  • "Better integration with non-Microsoft products would be an improvement."

What is our primary use case?

I sell this solution to my customers, based on their needs.

The deployment model for my customers is more commonly on-premise.

What is most valuable?

The most important feature is the ability to automatically backup and restore databases. In particular, with the advent of virtual machines running multiple versions of Database, being able to back them up and restore them from one single Dashboard is very important for disaster recovery and business efficiency.

What needs improvement?

This product is very geared toward a Microsoft environment, but there are many applications apart from Microsoft. Better integration with non-Microsoft products would be an improvement.

I would also like to see more support for Hyper-V environments and NoSQL databases.

In terms of stability, this solution is very good.

This solution is very scalable, it can be implemented a two tier System spanning multiple locations.

The initial setup of this solution is very straightforward, and it can be installed with an in-house team.

I think setup and management to should be easy for a backup applications, because skill personnel for IT Jobs are scarce these days leaving admins with more work. So Automation and simplicity is the way to go to be able to complete your work.

I think cost much be seen in relation to the value of what is being backed up.

If you purchased a brand new Mercedes, would you purchase low cost insurance for it?

What other advice do I have?

Veritas Backup Exec is an SMB solution, so for an SMB customer that does not have a Unix environment, I would recommend this product. However, for larger enterprise customers, I would recommend another product such as Veritas NetBackup.

All of the features that I can wish for are already in there. The interface, dashboard, and pricing are all perfect.

Samuel Calys-Tagoe
IT Specialist at a energy/utilities company with 51-200 employees
A solution with a good maintenance interface and excellent backup features

• "The dashboard was good. I loved to see the maintenance dashboard every time I logged on. That was my first screen because it always gave me a reminder of how many days before my next renewal."
  • "The cost is quite high. Along with the general costs, the supposed agents that you have to buy for the various options that you want to use ends up driving the costs higher as well."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution as thumbprints for backups.

How has it helped my organization?

We did a number of restores using the application. Even though the earlier versions of Veritas would not allow us to restore single files, in later versions, maybe around the 2016 version and beyond, we were able to restore single files. You could restore a single file for a user if you needed to. You didn't have to restore the entire backup before you could select the user's file for him or her. For me, that was good.

What is most valuable?

The backup feature was the most valuable for us. We used it on the exchange and SQL for mass files and folders. When we did backups, we did full backups as opposed to incremental ones. We found that for exchange, SQL and even for single files we were able to restore the resource process as well.

What needs improvement?

The cost is quite high. Along with the general costs, the supposed agents that you have to buy for the various options that you want to use ends up driving the costs higher as well.

There was also one time when I tried to use the disaster recovery option, which didn't go very well. There needs to be an improvement in this feature. Originally, I used the trial version to see how well it will come out before I went in for the full license, and because it went so bad I did not continue with it.

It would be helpful if the solution had disaster recovery for cloud options.

I've been using the solution since 2005.

It is quite a stable application. We didn't have to run too many updates yet. I just had to run maybe one or two updates, and it was fine. With many other applications, you need to run several updates within a year, but with Veritas, this was not the case.

I don't think the solution has a lot of scalability.  There were a few areas that I tried out and I had challenges with them. I think that they have areas that they need to look at and make improvements. If I were to rate it out of ten, I would give it a seven.

The few times that I had to contact technical support had been a bit cumbersome. You had to keep calling and you just moved from one place to the other, and it wasn't that easy to get the support.

The online support, however, where you have to go into the portal to find the information, was much easier to deal with, compared to calling the help desk. There was enough information on the portal to be helpful if you ran into issues. Most of the time, my first option was the portal. I was able to find relevant information to help me, to get what I needed that way.

The solution is quite stable, so I've very rarely had to actually contact technical support.

The initial setup was straightforward. The deployment was easy. I didn't have any problems. I deployed it on the very first day myself and installed it into that was IBM built into Dell team backups. I didn't have to install any additional drivers. The application already had them, so it was able to recognize my team's loopholes easily. I didn't have a problem with that. And then having to set up my backup selection also wasn't a problem. I was able to do it easily.

I implemented the solution myself.

From the outset, we had heard a lot of feedback from colleagues, so we went directly to Veritas. We didn't do an evaluation of other solutions.

What other advice do I have?

We used the on-premise version of the solution.

The dashboard was good. I loved to see the maintenance dashboard every time I logged on. That was my first screen because it always gave me a reminder of how many days before my next renewal.

I have evaluated the solution against other applications, and it is quite stable, but if you want to compare it to what other applications are offering, then I would say that I would hesitate if I have to make that recommendation that others should use it.

I would rate this solution 8 out of 10.

JJ
Consultant at a non-tech company
A stable, user-friendly, and cost-effective disaster recovery solution

What is our primary use case?

We use this solution for backup and recovery. The deployment model for this solution is on-premise.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is the user-friendly interface.

What needs improvement?

The interface could use improvement.

I have been using this solution for almost nine years.

This product is fantastically stable.

The scalability of this solution is good.

Technical support for this solution is great.

We did not use another solution prior to this one.

How was

What is our primary use case?

We use this solution for backup and recovery.

The deployment model for this solution is on-premise.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is the user-friendly interface.

What needs improvement?

The interface could use improvement.

I have been using this solution for almost nine years.

This product is fantastically stable.

The scalability of this solution is good.

Technical support for this solution is great.

We did not use another solution prior to this one.

The deployment will take a maximum of two to three hours.

We performed the implementation ourselves, but we asked for help from the technical team at Veritas.

We are satisfied with the price of this solution.

What other advice do I have?

Everything that I need is available with Veritas.

RG
Pre-Sales Technical Engineer at Kolaly
A flexible product that can handle backup and recovery from virtual servers

• "The most valuable feature is the ability to back up IBM Power virtual servers."
  • "Compared to other vendors, there are features that you will find not included in Veritas."

What is our primary use case?

We implement digital solutions for our customers and this is one of the products that we help them with. It handles their backup and recovery.

In most cases, our customers use a private cloud deployment model.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is the ability to back up IBM Power virtual servers. The functionality does not even exist in Veeam.

What needs improvement?

I would like to see a more powerful and effective processor in the appliance.

I have used this solution for approximately twenty years.

This is a very stable solution.

The scalability of this solution is good. It is very flexible.

Technical support for this solution is good, and I haven't and any problems with them.

This was our first backup solution.

This initial setup of this solution is not complex, but once it is deployed you need to have somebody who can handle it.

There were no other vendors on our shortlist. We did evaluate a few other products, but our customers did not need the whole portfolio.

What other advice do I have?

This is a solution that I recommend.

MH
Service Engineer with 501-1,000 employees
Integrates well with other technologies and solutions

• "This solution works well and has good integration with technologies such as VMware and Hyper-V."
  • "This solution does not support image-level backup of a physical server."

What is our primary use case?

We use this solution for backing up our network servers. This includes our Oracle SQL databases, Windows backup, Direct Control, Active Directory, and our Exchange server.

We are using the on-premise deployment model.

How has it helped my organization?

Most companies are now implementing network servers, and we have done the same. This solution works well and has good integration with technologies such as VMware and Hyper-V.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is the backing up of our network servers.

What needs improvement?

This solution does not support image-level backup of a physical server.

The backup and restore process should be faster.

I have been using this solution for more than ten years.

This solution is very stable.

Scalability of this solution is good.

Technical support for this solution is very good.

I use multiple solutions for backup and recovery. I currently work with Commvault and Veeam. In the past, I have used also used CloudFare and Acronis.

The initial setup of this solution is straightforward. The deployment takes between one and two hours. One person is sufficient for the installation, although you may need help from other people for the integration with other solutions.

One administrator is enough to maintain this solution.

I work as a consultant for Veritas and I implement this solution for other companies.

The three most popular solutions are Veritas, Veeam, and Commvault.

What other advice do I have?

My advice to anybody who is implementing this product is to read the admin guide. It is important to look at the prerequisites, such as the operating system version. Find out whether you satisfy the minimum requirements for compatibility.

MS Alam
System Administrator at Abdullah Al-Othaim Markets
The disk image can be destroyed very easily in the case of a disaster

• "One nice feature with Backup Exec is mainly that disaster can happen to any server and the disk image can be destroyed very easily. It's also easy to fully email the backup image and restore the server."
  • "Veritas Backup Exec should be more user-friendly. The costs should also be much lower and it should be easier to go through the disaster recovery process."

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case for Veritas Backup Exec is to take the emails from all the servers and for backing up the files. We require administrative control of that process.

We use Veritas for incremental backups for all the servers. It is an automated process. Lately, we have taken advantage of the full backup facilities provided by the product.

How has it helped my organization?

Veritas Backup Exec has enabled us to save costs.

What is most valuable?

One nice feature with Backup Exec is mainly that disaster can happen to any server and the disk image can be destroyed very easily. It's also easy to fully email the backup image and restore the server.

What needs improvement?

A lot of backup solutions are coming out now and a lot of new disaster recovery software is coming. We should see an updated cycle in six months or one year. Veritas Backup Exec should be more user-friendly. The costs should also be much lower and it should be easier to go through the disaster recovery process.

This solution has been working perfectly for us for many years now. I did not encounter any major problems or issues with it during production.

We need some more added value to this software, i.e. better disaster recovery.

The stability of the solution is good. I cannot think of any issues that we've had with stability.

I would give the scalability an 8/10. We have more than 50 to 60 servers. We were declined to accomplish what the servers needed for images at that scale.

We can support 50 servers and after that, we use some higher angle or higher position user permissions for backups because of our infrastructure requirements.

For deployment and maintenance, we only require 4-5 people.

The technical support is very good. They give us very good support. We don't have any problems with support.

We were also using Symantec Enterprise Vault.

It's easy to set up, setting up it is no problem. The configuration is also very easy.

The setup time for Backup Exec was about one week. If the structure is very heavy, then it will take around one month to set up.

We had some help from what our integration company would provide for the setup. Then we go through our own internal configuration settings.

For Backup Exec usage, the client uses the software with us because we have a license for this product. The license availability we have is for ten years.

Licensing is somewhat expensive. They should decrease the price.

This solution we are using now is only for the data backups. The last data recovery we were on had different features and functionality.

Disaster recovery is only part of our backup solution for our internal operations. Other backup solutions were not as reliable, i.e. the previous solution crashed. After that, I knew that Backup Exec solution was what I was looking for because it has better features for recovery.

What other advice do I have?

For our internal purposes, Veritas Backup Exec is very good, but for disaster recovery, you should go with another product.

Nowadays, everything is going on the cloud and the backup solutions should also be also fast. A lot of things we are maintaining now require professional disaster recovery services. With Veritas, an internal alert problem is happening for all the windows which should be somewhat decreased. Then it would be better and more user-friendly.

I am giving Veritas Backup Exec an 8 out of 10. The Backup Exec software is very good but should be updated with new features.

SR
System Analyst at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Supports my backup and all of my applications

What is our primary use case?

I primarily use this solution as a backup service. I have used it for more then 10 years. It is a good backup tool.

What is most valuable?

It can support all of my backup, and all of my applications. It is able to backup everything.

What needs improvement?

I would like to see them improve on faster restoration. Currently, it takes a long time to restore my data.

More than five years.

The stability is very good.

It is very good.

The tech support is very good.

I was involved, it was not a complicated setup.  …

More than five years.

The stability is very good.

It is very good.

The tech support is very good.

I was involved, it was not a complicated setup.

What other advice do I have?

It is important for me for the solution to support all metadata, the entire database. It must support the entire platform.

Mohammad  Sajid
Analyst - Microsoft Technologies at a financial services firm with 51-200 employees

• "We are satisfied with the stability of the product."
  • "In the global business world, Veritas has a very good name. I think they have a good solid product, and they are always trying to improve it, and update it. ;They know what the client actually needs, and they are up to the challenge of satisfying those needs."
  • "It would be nice to improve the backup acceleration and the fast restoration required."

What is our primary use case?

When I joined my company, they had already purchased Backup Exec. We use it as a backup solution.

How has it helped my organization?

It's a nice alternate solution for backup.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features are that it is user-friendly. It also works nicely with Windows and Skype. In addition, there are nice backup features.

What needs improvement?

First, it would be nice to improve the cloud.

Second, it would be nice to improve the backup acceleration and the
fast restoration required. This solution just doesn't meet my business needs for backup plans.

Lastly, the reporting needs improvement. Backup Exec does not have the strong art of reporting tools, because we sometimes have to get more than six months or an
annual based report.

More than five years.

We are satisfied with the stability of the product.

There is nothing wrong with the scalability of the product.

We have had a lot of trouble with tech support.

It is very easy to install and implement. In addition, the upgrades are also easy to implement.

What other advice do I have?

In the global business world, Veritas has a very good name. I think they have a good solid product, and they are always trying to improve and update it. They know what the client actually needs, and they are up to the challenge of satisfying those needs.

DR
Network Administrator with 11-50 employees
Data recovery is a key feature for us, but I would like to see a better licensing model

What is our primary use case?

We use it for backing up all servers and user data.

How has it helped my organization?

I'm very familiar with it because I've been using it since we, as an organization, started using it. I'm very familiar with the software package itself and how to set alerts, how to know what's going on, how to recover stuff. So familiarity is probably the best thing for me right now.

How does it help our organization? It's the recovery of data and the assurance that we know it's there and it's safe.

What is most valuable?

• Automation
  • Restore

More than five years.

It does what it says it's going to do.

As I start getting into the newer releases - I'm not at the most current release - I'll start taking a look not only at backing up on-prem data, but also the stuff that's in the cloud, stuff that's in Office 365, that's in Azure. We need to start reaching out and grabbing our data that's out there and successfully backing it up.

I've used their technical support. If you can get somebody who knows what they're doing, it's good; and if you get somebody that you can easily understand.

The issues are the language barrier, as well as: You finally get somebody to call you back and you start talking with them. All of a sudden, they say, "Oh, this belongs to a different department." They shove me off and I have to wait again for somebody to call me back. It's not a very streamlined and not a very efficient way of providing support.

At first, because it was such a new product at that time, there was a huge learning curve. But once I understood how they back things up, all the versions that followed after that were pretty straightforward and there wasn't much of an additional learning curve.

I would like to see a better licensing model. They changed it and it's just horrendous.

What other advice do I have?

If you're seriously looking at Backup Exec, take a hard look at their licensing model and compare that. Also, experience their tech support before you jump in.

Right now, the two big hitters are Backup Exec and Veeam. But the document that I've downloaded now from IT Central Station has introduced me to other vendors that I also need to take a look at.

In looking for a vendor to go with, the important criteria for me are:

• cost
  • ease of use
  • options, especially trial-based options.

The current version that I'm at, and I have to base my rating on it because it's the only one that I've been using, I would give it a seven out of 10 because it doesn't have the cloud options, the licensing has gotten worse instead of better, and technical support is iffy at best. I'm using version 16.0.

DK
Pre-Post Sales Engineer at Exclusive Networks Asia
User
The backup solution comes in different versions to support different platforms

• "The backup solution comes in different versions to support different platforms."
  • "It is one of the most stable backup solutions."
  • "Enhanced support for cloud backup needs to be added."
  • "Initial setup is a bit complex and needs some expertise for troubleshooting when something goes wrong."
  • "It is not a recommended software when it comes to large environments where there has to be a minimal Recovery Time Objective (RTO) and/or Recover Point Objective (RPO)."

What is our primary use case?

Veritas Backup Exec is one of the most dominant software based backup solutions in the industry. It is a reputed and well known product.

This solution is suggested for small- to medium-sized enterprises.

How has it helped my organization?

What is most valuable?

• The backup solution comes in different versions to support different platforms.
  • Deployment is a pain, but once the setup is done, it works like a charm.
  • One of the most stable backup solutions.

What needs improvement?

Enhanced support for cloud backup needs to be added. However, offsite backup to the cloud can be done.

The recovery success rate is not very convincing.

What other advice do I have?

I was previously an ADV engineer at Veritas. I have witnessed different types of users utilizing the product.

it_user708483
System Analyst at a tech company with 10,001+ employees
It is a good product for the Windows file system and SQL backups

• "Backup Exec 2012 R2 is a very good product for the Windows file system and SQL backups. It is very user-friendly, but the next version Backup Exec 2014 that is released and the other next versions of Backup Exec product is not so friendly."
  • "Firstly, the GUI for 2014 is mostly confusing, i.e., if you need to add any additional technical features, then it doesn't require a change to the GUI."

How has it helped my organization?

As I mentioned earlier, if we have an environment which has only a file system and SQL backups, then it is a good product, i.e., only for small environments. However, for large environments such as Oracle, SAP HANA, Microsoft Exchange, DB2 and the VM backups, you can go for Veritas NetBackup, EMC Legato NetWorker, Simpana Commvault and Tivoli Store Manager (TSM).

What is most valuable?

Backup Exec 2012 R2 is a very good product for the Windows file system and SQL backups. It is very user-friendly, but the next version Backup Exec 2014 that is released and the other next versions of Backup Exec product is not so friendly. The entire GUI has been changed and has changed multiple options as compared to Backup Exec 2012.

What needs improvement?

Regarding its stability, Backup Exec 2012 R2 is the most stable product for the file system and SQL backups.

There were no scalability issues.

Technical support is good. I give it an eight out of 10 rating.

I have worked on multiple backup solutions as I have worked in the backup-shared domain.

It's a very simple configuration for the Backup Exec 2012 R2 solution.

It is cheap compared to the other backup technologies. It all depends on the requirements.

I have worked on this product, so I am just sharing my experience on this. I have worked on multiple backup products, such as Veritas NetBackup and EMC Legato NetWorker.

What other advice do I have?

Before implementing any backup solution, you need to understand your environment, as well as the requirements, and based on that you need to choose the product. If you are considering the Backup Exec, it is good for small environments.

RB
Data Protection and Risk IT Specialist at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employees
One of the valuable features is the instant recovery for VMs

• "One of the valuable features is the instant recovery for VMs. It reduces the RTO (Recovery Time Objective) drastically."
  • "There still a lot of room for improvement in synthetic technologies, especially when targeted to deduplication media."

How has it helped my organization?

One of the latest improvements is the Azure Cloud connector integration.

What needs improvement?

Backup Exec does not support any technology similar to Netbackup´s Accelerator feature, or even Arcserve Incremental Forever (at least for physical systems or virtualization platforms other than VMWare and Hyper-V). The Synthetic option that we have on Backup Exec does not allow us to target backups to a deduplication media.

Any technology that can synthesize previous succeeded backups will result in a drastic reduction of time to complete backup jobs, giving us subsequent Full Backups for the price (effort) of a incremental.

It is very stable.

This solution was designed for a middle-sized market. It scales properly for a small business.

I would give technical support a rating of a six and a half out of 10.

I have worked with many other vendors. They all have some strong and weak points.

The initial setup was extremely straightforward and it was full of wizards.

Make sure you verify the V-RAY Extension when licensing your virtual environment. Depending on the scenario, it can cost less than half of the price of other methods.

Our customers, who have chosen Backup Exec, normally evaluate Veeam or ArcServe.

What other advice do I have?

Try the cloud connectors. They can become a replacement for long retention tapes in some cases.

Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: We are a Veritas Partner. We are also partners with other data protection vendors, such as CommVault and ArcServe.
it_user424638
IT Manager at a media company with 1,001-5,000 employees
It gave us the ability to have valid backups. I would like to see a more stable environment in a WAN infrastructure.

How has it helped my organization?

It just gave us the ability to have valid backups most of the time.

What is most valuable?

The interface easy to use and it is compatible with most backup devices.

What needs improvement?

Ability to backup to cloud Virtualization backups availability More stable environment in a WAN infrastructure

There were issues with stability, such as big issues/error messages when trying to restore SQL instances, Exchange datastores, or single files

In terms of scalability, if you get rid of a server that belongs to the CASO, the catalogs won´t work. Restores get even more difficult. If you need to replace the CASO, it is very frustrating. …

How has it helped my organization?

It just gave us the ability to have valid backups most of the time.

What is most valuable?

The interface easy to use and it is compatible with most backup devices.

What needs improvement?

• Ability to backup to cloud
  • Virtualization backups availability
  • More stable environment in a WAN infrastructure

I would give technical support a rating of 5/10.

We were hoping to get scalability and a stable backup environment.

The initial setup is complex when you are replacing an existing server.

Pricing is similar, but they don´t offer the same options/technology.

We evaluated many other options back at that time.

What other advice do I have?

Check Veeam first.

Network Engineer at a manufacturing company
It provides our daily backups and restores

• "It gives us the ability to locate and restore critical files which users may have intentionally or unknowing deleted a while ago."
  • "They can work on the issue of the job timing out when it is unable to reach a selection item. It sometimes hangs up on the selection item, thus preventing the job from continuing."

How has it helped my organization?

It provides our daily backups and restores. It gives us the ability to locate and restore critical files which users may have intentionally or unknowing deleted a while ago. We also enjoy the feature which allow us to set up a backup job on one location, to be backed up to media on another Backup Exec server.

What is most valuable?

• Backup to Disk: It restore files very quickly.
  • vSphere infrastructure backup option: Useful to keeps VMs on disk and it is done fast.

What needs improvement?

There were issues with version 2010, but since our last upgrade, we are comfortable again.

There were no issues with scalability, because we had all the necessary licenses.

I would give technical support a rating of nine out of 10.

We did not use a different solution before this one.

The initial setup was straightforward.

If your company can afford it, go for it.

What other advice do I have?

It is simple to set up. Once the backup jobs are clearly defined, the rest is history.

Lead Technical Specialist at a tech services company
Two main purposes that we are using this application is for backup and restore.

• "For us, the main two features that we appreciate in this application are backup and restore. They are the main purposes for which we are using this application."
  • "It's not too stable for client-server architecture. Center Management is not so interactive, and then there are some issues regarding the complex licensing which needs improvement."

How has it helped my organization?

I can give examples in term of the databases: the Exchange databases, the email databases or the flag files. It has improved the working of our organization in such a way that you can even go to a block-level restore and can go to a demo-level file restore.

The the technology we have been using is much better than the other software providers in the region. The other companies are OK now but Veritas started out first with this technology.

We are using this application as a corporate standard and we feel it's a better application compared to the others.

What is most valuable?

The most important feature of this product is the backup of any data, i.e. it could be databases or Z files, or anything.

What needs improvement?

The stability, reliability of the product and the features that are available in this application are very good.

However, it's not too stable for client-server architecture. Center Management is not so interactive, and then there are some issues regarding the complex licensing which needs improvement.

There are small issues are going on. I am not sure if it is the product or the environment or the hardware that we use to support this application. So there are various potential factors. However, if you go back to the application, the support is really good. We get support in a timely fashion and are happy with it.

The product has limited scalability. It comes down to the hardware, i.e. what we are using, based on its limitations. It can support anything. If you're OK to scale in terms of your hardware, it's going to support you; that is not a problem. But, the licensing structure is quite complex and, as mentioned, this is where they could improve. Licensing is quite complex to understand, we have to go back to the vendor every time to get the right product.

Technical support depends upon the person who answers the call. If they are in your time region, then you get better support, but if they're not in your region then there is a delay in the support and you lose valuable business for backup and restore. Overall, it is much better than the others.

We are actually using two to three solutions at the moment. We are using the Arcserve Backup as they have also been a major player in the market for many years. We were using it and it was OK, but they have not advanced in terms of their technology for many years. for this reason we had to switch to Veritas.

Setup can be both straightforward and complex. If you're talking about just a single installation, it's straightforward. But if you come back to the client-server architecture, it's complex because it has to match the versions and it has a one-version backup compatibility. If you had to go back to a previous version, then you struggle. Thus, it's simple for standalone but is complex for the client-server architecture.

Definitely, we evaluated different options. We evaluated this product on different levels. We evaluated it for various backups such as the Linux backup, and we also used it for several other purposes and found that it's a better solution. That was why we chose this application.

The only challenge we are facing is that the Center Management is not as good as Arcserve, but it still works. The Center Management dashboard is not so user-friendly and that is the only thing we struggle with.

What other advice do I have?

It's an easy software to set up and also, to backup and restore your files.

It's user-friendly, it's not very complex and a person with limited IT/technical support knowledge can manage this application.

Manager of Infrastructure at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
The speed at which one can restore offers much faster recovery times for our clients.

What is most valuable?

The Exchange restore is the most valuable feature. The restore granularity that the product offers is great, right down to the individual emails.

It saves a ton of time and effort for the admins. There is far less frustration for the end user that equates to more time for admins for addressing more burning issues within their areas of expertise, thus, increasing the employee's productivity.

How has it helped my organization?

What needs improvement?

Make the product more user-friendly for users who aren't familiar with Veritas Backup Exec. The product is better utilized if you've used previous versions of the product.

The Veritas Backup Exec GUI is familiar to users who have used the product before. However for a new user the GUI could prove to be slightly challenging to get used to. Veritas should provide an update where the GUI layout is redesigned and provides a certain level of comfort for new/first-time users of the product.

I have used this solution for around six to ten years.

There were no stability issues.

There were no scalability issues.

Technical support is good. Veritas is good, overall, when it comes to the technical support.

I have used numerous backup products. My personal preference would be IBM Tivoli Store Manager (TSM). Cost is always a factor and Veritas Backup Exec is very competitively priced.

The setup was straightforward but Veritas assisted us with the implementation, which in turn ensured that the best practices were adhered to.

Engage with as many Veritas partners as possible, to try and get the best pricing based on the partner status.

We looked at NetBackup and IBM TSM.

What other advice do I have?

Consider all the backup requirements and budgets. Look at your IT department's long-term strategy.

it_user248904
Network specialist at a government with 1,001-5,000 employees
It's useful for backing up both physical and virtual servers of Windows and Linux machines, but I've had compatibility errors in 30% of cases.

What is most valuable?

It is very useful to be able to backup files and folders, for both Windows and Linux (physical and virtual servers), and put them into whatever kind of storage that you desire.

How has it helped my organization?

It supports most of our storage systems and backs up most of them.

What needs improvement?

It's still hard to use. A more user-friendly version would be great.

I had compatibility error with Symantec in 30% of cases, and I think Symantec needs to change the whole user interface and menu.

I was using image base/file and folder backup system from HP.

it_user5784
Senior Manager of IT at a real estate/law firm with 51-200 employees
Excellent backup tool with great support. But installing updates is time consuming.

Valuable Features:

Excellent backup tool for doing disk to disk to tape. Support is great, even though you get through to Pune or Bangalore, their support skills are great.

Room for Improvement:

Service packs releases mean you need to apply it to the media server and then manually update each agent. Can be time-consuming.

it_user1266
Network Manager at a local government with 51-200 employees
Great backup solution if you need support.

Valuable Features:

I use this on a few of my servers. This does a great job with scheduling full backups and incremental backups. Support is good due to it being an enterprise product.

Room for Improvement:

Sometimes permissions and deploying the agents can be tricky. I found that running as a local admin works better than domain admin. Some tape drives it has issues with, and doesn't like certain tape manufacturers.

Other Advice:

I have mostly moved away from this to Amanda backup, due to it being open source (free!!). A few years ago, this would be all that I trust to do backups, but now it is no longer needed.
it_user1143
Network Manager at a healthcare company with 51-200 employees
Symantec Backup Exec 2012 is feature rich tool which heavily depends on agents

Valuable Features:

Protection plans can now be created by performing fewer steps, as compared to version 2010.Software deployment is straight forward. The homepage has been redesigned, which provides detailed statistics about backup operations, media, and job statuses.Remote agent installation is also simple; when you go to the Backup and Restore options it displays all the systems that have agents running.Backups can be restored or converted into virtual machines running in VMware or Hyper-V environments.Multiple systems can be placed in groups to share the backup strategies

Room for Improvement:

Most features work when agents are installed on servers, but you have to pay extra for most of them. The product is totally redesigned and requires some patches and updates to become fully compatible with different types of environments.

Other Advice:

Symantec Backup Exec 2012 is a feature rich tool for data protection and recovery. It can protect both physical and virtual environments to avoid disasters and reduces down time.
Download our free Veritas Backup Exec Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.