Veritas NetBackup Appliance OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Veritas NetBackup Appliance is the #5 ranked solution in our list of top Deduplication Software. It is most often compared to Dell EMC Data Domain Boost: Veritas NetBackup Appliance vs Dell EMC Data Domain Boost

What is Veritas NetBackup Appliance?
The NetBackup Appliances feature the entire NetBackup Platform suite on performance a single turnkey solution for backup, storage, and deduplication. Deploying an appliance when refreshing media servers, consolidating point products, protecting remote offices, or modernizing protection in the data center reduces operating expenses and integration complexity.

Veritas NetBackup Appliance is also known as NetBackup Appliance.

Veritas NetBackup Appliance Buyer's Guide

Download the Veritas NetBackup Appliance Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: September 2021

Veritas NetBackup Appliance Customers
Beta Offshore
Veritas NetBackup Appliance Video

Archived Veritas NetBackup Appliance Reviews (more than two years old)

IT Architect at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
Good backup coverage, but the licensing is complex and it needs to better integrate with other solutions

• "We have good data backup coverage."
  • "This solution has to have better integration with the cloud, as well as with other solutions such as Business Intelligence products."

What is our primary use case?

Over the past seven years, we have been using this backup solution. However, over the past year, we have begun to integrate Commvault, and have stopped worrying about upgrades for Veritas.

We are using an on-premises deployment and it has been used for our data center. We have various operating systems including Solaris, Windows, and Linux. Our databases include Oracle, MySQL, MongoDB, and Informix. We also have virtualization. This solution is responsible for everything in the data center.

What is most valuable?

We have good data backup coverage.

What needs improvement?

This solution has to have better integration with the cloud, as well as with other solutions such as Business Intelligence products.

They need to simplify the backup licensing model, as it is really complex at the moment. We are having problems with them because of the licensing, and this is why we are changing solutions.

It is not easy to manage the environment, and you need the expertise to do it.

The backup catalog is very complex and takes a lot of space compared to other vendors. There is an important need for a better catalog management system.

We have been using this solution for approximately seven years.

We have 99.9% completion of the backups.

At one point during our migration, we experienced a loss of all of our backups. It took approximately one week to restore all of them.

This solution is able to scale within an environment without a problem.

We back up more than two thousand servers.

Technical support for this solution is good, as long as you are paying for the high-level support. Otherwise, you will be dealing with somebody responsible for supporting many different products.

We did not use another solution prior to this one. We have used different versions of this solution over the past seven years, and we are now moving everything over to Commvault because they have a simple licensing model.

The initial setup of this solution is not simple. It is complex, and you really need a professional technician to assist. In the end, however, you have a really stable solution.

The deployment took place over time, where we have been improving things over the years.

We have perhaps twenty administrators and operators who manage this solution. It is not used by the end-users.

The price of this solution is very high compared to other solutions.

What other advice do I have?

This is a really good technology, but they are missing some key, important features.

The biggest lesson that I have learned from using this solution is that there is always something that can be improved.

I would rate this solution a seven out of ten.

AS
Associate at a consultancy with 1,001-5,000 employees
Fast backup and restore, resilient and easy to manage

• "The most valuable feature is that the backup and restoring process is very fast."
  • "We had some problems with the backup of the physical server."

What is our primary use case?

The primary use case of this solution is to manage the backup of our very large infrastructure. We have five thousand servers on virtual machines used for several applications such as Oracle database, SAP, SharePoint, and other enterprise software.

Our experience is in the manufacturing industry. The workload includes lifecycle management, manufacture execution, and software to support the manufacturing processes.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is that the backup and restoring process is very fast. It is very resilient and it is quite easy to manage. I only have an architectural perspective, but another feature is the new multi-tenant feature available on the Flex system with the Veritas 5340 Appliance. This is a very appreciated feature, and we are required to maintain segregation between tenants.

What needs improvement?

We had some problems with the backup of the physical server. With the virtual machine field, the virtual server area was very strong. We had some difficulties with the physical server, the IBM Power, and the AIX operating system. The problems were with both the server-side and the storage-side. There were also issues in doing the back up for a physical server with others, like Windows server.

This is not a very complex problem in a Virtual environment, but we are facing a Legacy infrastructure, and we had some problems with Veritas and integrating with the Legacy hardware.

The interface is very poor. Currently, they are working on implementing a new web interface that enables the multi-tenancy directly on the user. The new features that they are implementing are faster and in terms of functionalities, they cover a lot of enterprise challenges.

I have been using this solution for six months.

This solution is stable, and we haven't had any problems. We have experience with other back up solutions such as IBM, DOT rep-storage manager, now known as the IBM Spectrum Scale. These are quite similar in terms of stability. It is also very reliable and it's not difficult to implement or to deliver an availability solution or a disaster recovery solution.

This solution is scalable. We can add a storage shelf to scale the storage capability. You can scale the master server to give you more computation of resources. The management of the infrastructure is scalable. We currently have a multi-tenancy limit where you can manage a maximum of eight tenants. If you require more than eight then you have to scale out. We have not yet been faced with this issue but there is quite a bit of mutation of this product.

We have ten users as backup administrators.

We have a relationship with backup support. Any engagement with technical support is very easy and quick. I have had good experiences when I have been faced with any problems. I have never had to call the help desk directly or the support team. I have always gone through the account manager for a solution.

The setup was not complex, it was straightforward. We had a delivery team very specialized in it, so it was not at all difficult.

The deployment took about two to three weeks from the shipment of the hardware to the release of the solution in the production system. We are currently phasing another project stream in September. We were supposed to plan two weeks of activity to set up and configure the solution. I am currently the project manager of the project.

What other advice do I have?

This is an available and reliable solution, which is very good to set up for enterprise systems. We had some issues with the management of delivery where we were only provided with a technician to implement the solution, which delayed the planning of installation. However, the technician was highly qualified.

Learn what your peers think about Veritas NetBackup Appliance. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: September 2021.
541,108 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Storage Engineer at a insurance company with 1,001-5,000 employees
A very stable product with easy integration

• "Compared to a homemade installation, this appliance is very stable."
  • "The scalability isn't great. Every time you want to add storage, you can't just add a little bit, you need to add a lot."

How has it helped my organization?

For example, in the past, we had to upgrade the operating system and then the software, but now we have everything bundled so that there is one upgrade for everything, which is a great improvement for us in management. It saves us time.

What is most valuable?

The features that are most valuable are the ease of integration in deployment and updates. Everything is packaged when you do the upgrade, so it's quite easy to manage.

What needs improvement?

The price could be improved.

Also, sometimes when you have multiple appliances, you have to physically manage them one by one. It's okay if you have a few, but when you have ten or more, it's a bit annoying and takes more people/time to handle the management.

In a future release, they should make it NetApp storage, that's something there on the roadmap that's not available now.

I've been using the solution for four years.

Compared to a homemade installation, this appliance is very stable.

The solution is not very scalable because when you want to add storage you need to add a lot of storage. You cannot just add a few discs. Every time you add storage, you must add a huge amount of storage. In the future, we do plan to add some appliances, so we will increase the usage and replace some old appliances with new ones.

For specific appliances, support is very good.

The past four years we have used dedicated appliances. Before that, we were using homemade servers.

The initial setup was straightforward. I found it very quick and easy. For maintenance, we just need two people.

What other advice do I have?

We're using the on-premises deployment model.

I would recommend others to consider the solution if they're using a lot of workloads. It's a really good product.  However, if you have only a small workload, it's a huge fixture for nothing.

I would rate this solution eight out of ten.

MH
Network Administrator at KING FAHD MILITARY MEDICAL COMPLEX
Backs up all of our servers and our in-house programs

What is our primary use case?

We use the on-premises model of this solution. Our primary use case of this solution is to get backups for all of our servers and backup for our in-house programs.

What needs improvement?

The recovery backup has been problematic.  They need to make the licensing more clear. They should give all of the licensing details for the portals and be more clear. I have accidentally purchased the incorrect license because it's not clear.

I have been using Veritas for the last eight years.

What is our primary use case?

What needs improvement?

The recovery backup has been problematic.

I have been using Veritas for the last eight years.

Stability is good. We haven't had any issues when restoring backups. If you do a regular backup I would give the process a nine out of ten. But for the recovery side of this process, I would rate a four out of ten. It needs improvement.

Scalability is good. Technical support helps us with this.

We rarely need their help. I would give their technical support an 8.5 out of ten. We are satisfied.

The initial setup was straightforward.

The licensing costs are approximately 150,00 Saudi Riyals. It's a costly enterprise.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate this solution a nine out of ten. I would recommend it to somebody considering it.

JG
Chief Scientist at a tech services company with 11-50 employees
A good DR solution for my on-premises and public-cloud customers

• "They are a large company with good best practices, and they give good support."
  • "I would like to see a product that requires less expertise to manage it."

What is our primary use case?

I am a consultant that provides DR backup solutions for cloud-based and hybrid environments. I assist my clients with choosing solutions, and this is one of the solutions that I recommend.

My experience with this solution is in both on-premises and public-cloud environments.

What needs improvement?

The interface is ok, but not the best. Newer solutions have more flexible interfaces. This interface provides more detail but is not as friendly for the non-technical user. I would like to see a product that requires less expertise to manage it. Companies are struggling with getting people who are experts, so a product with less knowledge-intensive requirements would be better.

Having more templates that help to accomplish things based on best practices for vertical solutions are needed. For example, more support for virtual environments.

I would like to see support for different cloud providers with specific features for each one. If I'm working with Amazon, I would expect it to support the specific features of Amazon. If I was to migrate my solution, my systems, or applications from cloud-to-cloud, I want to be able to do it easily and transparently. Similarly, if I want to migrate from on-premise to cloud, it should be easy. The same should be true for hybrid-cloud environments because there are intensive knowledge requirements.

I don't think that there is a problem with the scalability of this solution, but you need to deal with cloud intensiveness when you deal with Big Data. I don't think that Veritas is doing this with Big Data.

I don't deal with technical support myself, but from what I have heard from my current customers, they haven't had any trouble. This is a plus for a big company like Veritas.

I find that the mature products in this space are supporting the cloud only partially. The main products that really support the cloud are coming from startups, rather than from mature companies.

Choosing a solution depends on the usage and the environment. There are different solutions for different scenarios. You can do backups by copying disks, or you can do logical backups, such as of a database.

What other advice do I have?

I like Veritas. They are a large company with good best practices, and they give good support. They can invest in knowledge-intensive features to make their solution more user-friendly. They need to work more on their R&D, be more innovative, and take more risks in providing solutions for the hybrid cloud and for migrations.

VP
Backup and Database Administrator at a energy/utilities company with 201-500 employees
Reduces the workload and therefore reduces resources needed from the company

• "The intelligent policies feature is used in order to protect the VMware infrastructure. One of the things that makes a big difference for our company is the usage of these intelligence policies. The system automatically provides extra protection for any VMware server application or service. From a backup administrator's point of view, this is what we call peace of mind. It reduces the workload and therefore reduces resources needed from the company."
  • "The only drawback for NetBackup, and of course for Veritas, is that they have stuck to the same environment and to the same UI - User Interface. This needs to be improved in future releases. It needs to be more dynamic."

How has it helped my organization?

The intelligent policies feature is used in order to protect the VMware infrastructure. One of the things that makes a big difference for our company is the usage of these intelligent policies. The system automatically provides extra protection for any VMware server application or service. From a backup administrator's point of view, this is what we call peace of mind. It reduces the workload and therefore reduces resources needed from the company.

The backup administrator always tends to be combined with all other administrators and tries to find if there is any new application, service, or server. With intelligent policies, this has been resolved. I create one policy for VMware because it has a very good integration when we pair it up with the API. With this intelligent policy, anything that is changed into the VMware is automatically led back to NetBackup protection and NetBackup covers it.

The other great thing for the company is that this kind of application is fully encrypted so it gives us full compliance for issues. That's the greatest benefit.

What is most valuable?

One of the best features is the VMware integration with NetBackup.

The cloud-based backup is also an excellent feature.

The ability to establish many plans for long term retention, especially using some of their appliances is very helpful. We're not using paid backups for long term retention. It's our business procedure. Instead, we use new apps for storage. There is a type of storage they offer in which they give us member shared space and we can establish a parent point of the primary appliances in order to comply with the long term retention.

One of the other features of NetBackup is that it gives you Granular Recovery Technology for three major applications, or services: SQL, SharePoint, and Exchange. That means that you don't have to deploy an agent on Exchange servers or a DAG server. It also supports Office 365, and Cloud-based services. You don't have to deploy agents in a SharePoint environment, a SharePoint file, and you don't have to deploy an agent in SQL because when you create the VMware policy and you activate Granular Recovery Technology, the VMware technology that is used gives you the ability to restore with GRT, without the obligations which have an agent on the server. That is a great feature.

What needs improvement?

The only drawback for NetBackup, and of course for Veritas, is that they have stuck to the same environment and to the same user interface. This needs to be improved in future releases. It needs to be more dynamic.

I would like to see more prepared, pre-configured reports and higher integration with other leading-edge products. I'm not talking about backup solutions. I'm talking about other services like ticketing systems such as ServiceNow.

They need to offer more integrations because of the convergence of the demands on the system these days.

I've been using the solution for 1.5 years.

The solution is very stable when there is no major change that actually requires corresponding changes to the policies of the NetBackup protection environment. If there are no more major changes from protected areas, like the VMware infrastructure, like the application of services, the solution is stable.

It's even stable with the patches that Microsoft releases from time to time, that can cause so many problems.

Some jobs may fail, but it reports back to the Backup administrator. An extensive loss gives the opportunity to find out what was changed and what is going on and proceed and make all the necessary adjustments to get back on track.

It's very stable also as an environment. After one and a half years we've never had a failure in a hard disk startup and we've never had a failure of NetBackup services. We never had any kind of corruption or any kind of failure, generally speaking.

There are some small issues, as with any product. However, the backup administrator continues reporting daily and checking to see if everything is working fine.

The solution is very scalable.

There are different types of technical support. They offer Gold and 24/7 monitoring, for example. The also offer support where they take the responsibility of monitoring the appliances. Even in cases where the backup administrator is not aware of an imminent hard disk failure, they know about it and send the replacement.

We decided to go with the Essential Support because my knowledge is very good on this product, so we try to eliminate the costs of more premium offerings. Even with Essential Support, their response time is very, very satisfactory. There was no situation where I had to call them or open on the technical support portal and chase them to get answers. Usually, they respond within 4 hours. That's really good especially because it's merely Essential Support, not Platinum or Gold.

There was one case where we had a problem that needed escalation. The escalation happens after the second or the third action from their side. Usually, they request some logs to provide immediate feedback. They didn't spend too much time investigating the logs, and they responded immediately. They can escalate it as well if they need to.

We used to use Symantec, but it was a very smooth transition because Symantec and Veritas were part of the same company.

We looked at Veeam, which was very competitive in the process but was only software.

Veritas won out because it offered a solution that also had native hardware and we didn't want to use space from our core storage.

The initial setup was quite straightforward. We use a Linux based backup, and we chose the solution because we are using Veritas appliances as well; it was recommended by Veritas.

It's quite easy for someone who is experienced with backup administration. It might not be as easy for someone implementing for the first time, but for someone who is already experienced, it's very easy.

There is only one server you have to prepare. The configuration is very easy and the integration with VMware was a piece of cake. It's not a complex ATI that you need to strip down, connect, stream, send, etc. It's very, very easy.

Thre are initially only four or five policies that NetBackup uses with Microsoft Windows, SQL, Oracle, VMware and Check Point. That means that you don't have to deploy agents everywhere.

The correlation between the amount that the company spends to start with the infrastructure and the gain that it has seen in terms of work components has been good. For example, the deduplication ratio that NetBackup performs is highly competitive. It's a very, very good thing because we don't have to buy extra storage that creates an extra cost for the company.

What other advice do I have?

We use the on-premises deployment model.

We've been very happy with this solution. The correlation of NetBackup with a Veritas solution, which gave us the opportunity to dynamically capture the protected data in the two different styles, was helpful. Another Veritas webpage solution works perfectly with NetBackup and gives us a dynamic picture of protected data.

One other improvement we've seen since implementation, from a business' point of view, is that the usage of the new popular technology of Veritas, like the access storage, where the initial configuration is 700 terabytes, gives us long term retention. The company avoids paying for quite expensive robotic libraries. The access storage is outside the company but the backup and the reach hold times are working in tandem. The speed on daily operation, in terms of cataloging, restoring operations, and related things are very good.

The DR (Disaster Recovery) in RPO (Recovery Point Objective) and RTO (Recovery Time Objective) has also improved. Everybody is looking for the best solution that actually gives a balance RPO or RTO. And these two terms are highly related to the DR, the disaster recovery plans. From that point of view, they are a great improvement in contrast with the previous solution that we had. The previous solution was a backup exit. Again, it was the very best, before it was Symantec. We had it for more than five years but when we moved to NetBackup we discovered a whole new world of possibilities and capabilities.

I would advise anyone to use NetBackup. I know the solution well, and I know that they offer very good implication ratio. Of course, I have this opinion because we are also using their appliances, which are pre-configured specifically for this operation.

I don't know if these ratios will be sustained if a customer buys just the software, and uses a third-party storage option to keep the backup. In our case, I would suggest sharing the POC with NetBackup, and even if the POC is without an appliance, I think they can expect to see a big difference. It's very fast.

I would rate the solution ten out of ten. If you would ask me about the software alone I would give it 9, but with the appliance, it deserves a 10.

JR
Director of the Enterprise Department at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
A flexible solution that performs well in hybrid and mixed environments

• "The most valuable feature of this solution is that it can be used in many different kinds of systems."
  • "Technical support for this solution needs to be improved."

What is our primary use case?

We are a solution provider and we assist our customers with products from many vendors. This is a solution that we have provided to several customers who are currently using it.

All of our customers use an on-premises deployment model in a variety of environments made up of both Windows and Linux machines.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature of this solution is that it can be used in many different kinds of systems. Our customers sometimes have mixed environments with different operating systems and storage from different vendors, and it is easier for them to use only one tool.

What needs improvement?

The price of this solution could be improved.

Technical support for this solution needs to be improved. We have some critical problems that have not yet been resolved, and everyone is nervous.

Depending on the environment, some of the tools have problems.

In the next release of this solution, I would like to see more support for more virtual devices.

Our customers have been using this solution for several years.

I would say that the stability of this solution is good.

Our environment includes more than one thousand systems.

Technical support is something that needs improvement.

The initial setup of this solution is very difficult because we have a complex environment. With more than one thousand systems, the migration of the systems is not easy.

The licensing costs for this solution are very high.

AK
IT Team Leader at a financial services firm with 5,001-10,000 employees
Helps reduce hardware costs and offers good performance

• "If you use the NetBackup Appliance you do not need to have separate media servers and hardware. You can configure the same storage as a media server and master server as well as a storage port. This helps to reduce the hardware costs of the media server."
  • "With technical support, it feels like they aren't well trained and it takes forever to get answers out of them."

What is our primary use case?

We use the solution as a media server and for storing data.

What is most valuable?

For traditional setups, you need to have one separate media server plus you need maybe a data domain or some kind of storage. If you use the NetBackup Appliance you do not need to have separate media servers and hardware. You can configure the same storage as a media server and master server as well as a storage port. This helps to reduce the hardware costs of the media server.

What needs improvement?

We've only been using the solution for one year, and since we've installed it, it's been running fine, so I don't have any complaints about it so far. It could be improved if it was easier to run some command items on the GUI. If they could make it a bit more user-friendly then it would be helpful.

In future releases, it would be helpful if there was something to help make recovery easy and the process faster. They need some sort of restore related feature similar to what VMware offers, in which you can directly use the image of a backup. For example, they could offer to make it so you can create a backup that can sit in your storage that you can use to send an image map via email or somewhere convenient.

I've been using the solution for one year.

The stability of the solution is good.

We've just reached the point where we'll be able to see how flexible the scalability is. We haven't tested the scalability just yet, so I can't say exactly if it is scalable or how scalable it can be.

With technical support, it feels like they aren't well trained and it takes forever to get answers out of them. We've had many complaints about them. Usually, we end up fixing it in house, since it feels like technical support is just running out the clock.

I would rate technical support at six out of ten.

We previously used EMC Data Domain. We switched because we required an additional media server, and were using new hardware which was isolated for media server purposes. Since this solution could also work as a media server, I didn't need to buy another hardware license and support for another server, so we switched.

The initial setup was simple. It was straightforward and there weren't too many complications. In terms of maintenance, one person is always managing the backup infrastructure. It's the operation team data center operator who monitors the backup during the night shift.

We have a partner in Dubai that consulted with us on the implementation.

I don't know anything specific in regards to pricing, but I do have friends that say there's an IBM solution that's less expensive than NetBackup.

We only ever made an evaluation between EMC Data Domain, our previous solution, and NetBackup.

What other advice do I have?

If you are using NetBackup software on the same appliance you can expect good performance. In terms of the solution, you may need to log cases with different vendors if you have a different storage solution. However, if you have the NetBackup appliance and it doesn't need backup software you can create logs with the same technical support. It makes it easy for coordination. You can eliminate redundancies if you have a single vendor.

I would rate this solution eight out of ten.

RezaMoaveni
CEO at BhPart
A speedy backup solution for physical and virtual servers

• "Installing this solution is very simple and takes perhaps five or ten minutes."
  • "I would like the ability to recover a single folder within the backup of a virtual machine."

What is our primary use case?

This solution is for backup and recovery in physical and virtual environments, in data centers or server rooms. We are a solution provider company, and I recommend this product for clients and projects with these needs.

The majority of our deployments are either on-premise or private cloud.

How has it helped my organization?

Our clients are able to back up their physical and virtual machines, seated on one of many storage devices from Sun, EMC, HP, IBM, etc.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature of this solution is the backup speed. The traffic made up of backup data is not passed on the slow networks. Rather, it is delivered directly from the network storage solutions.

I offer another feature to my customers, called the Backup Aerial network (BAN). This separates the heavy backup traffic from the service traffic. I use a dedicated data switch or network port to separate the lighter traffic from services such as Exchange, Skype, Active Directory, DNS, etc.

What needs improvement?

I would like the ability to recover a single folder within the backup of a virtual machine. As it is now, if I want to retrieve a single folder then I need to first recover the entire VM and then copy that one folder. This takes longer than it should for this operation.

The price of this solution should be lowered by ten or fifteen percent. This would help to compete in an environment where people and companies share licenses, effectively lowering their price. I estimate that our sales would increase by fifty percent if the prices were lowered.

I have been using this solution for about ten years.

This solution is not as stable as Veeam. When it crashes and you want to cover, it is a complicated procedure.

This is a very scalable solution. We have deployed this product for very big solutions. The Central Administration Console helps to make Veritas more scalable than competitors such as Veeam.

Installing this solution is very simple and takes perhaps five or ten minutes. It takes a little longer to purchase the license and register the product.

MA
System Administrator at a manufacturing company with 10,001+ employees
A stable solution that provides simplicity, with a straightforward setup

• "The solution is very scalable."
  • "They could simplify the process of installing, and provide more space for data during the process."

What is our primary use case?

High available Backup Solution for about 200 Unix Servers (Linux, AIX, SunOS)

What is most valuable?

We like the simplicity of the solution. You can recover and browse backed up data via CLI (command-line interface). The platform independence of the bare metal restore feature is great.

What needs improvement?

They could improve the process of installing by not wasting so much local disk space during the process.

I've been using the solution for five years.

The solution's stability is perfect.

The solution is very scalable.

We did previously use a different solution. The change was a management decision because of the pricing.

The initial setup was easy. The only problem that we had occasionally was, when we installed the software, we had to store a big amount of data to disk, because the package included all the operating systems and sometimes the space on the filesystem was not enough. We needed about one and a half gigabyte to install the software.

What other advice do I have?

We use a local high-available backup server version of the solution.

With this solution, we've had perfect support and our use cases were perfectly served.

I would rate this solution nine out of ten.

Download our free Veritas NetBackup Appliance Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.