Veritas NetBackup OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Veritas NetBackup is the #10 ranked solution in our list of best Backup and Recovery Software. It is most often compared to Veeam Backup & Replication: Veritas NetBackup vs Veeam Backup & Replication

What is Veritas NetBackup?

NetBackup reduces the staggering complexity of enterprise data protection, outpaces the relentless growth of the data center, and increases the agility IT needs to transform from traditional cost center to service-oriented business enabler. Enterprises trust Symantec.

Veritas NetBackup Buyer's Guide

Download the Veritas NetBackup Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: October 2021

Veritas NetBackup Customers

Beta Offshore

Veritas NetBackup Video

Pricing Advice

What users are saying about Veritas NetBackup pricing:
  • "When you compare NetBackup's software licensing system with Veeam's, which is simpler and based on instances (or how many physical machines or virtual machines you want to protect), NetBackup isn't that competitive for smaller scale companies. However, if you're running many large workloads, then NetBackup may be the better option."
  • "It was on a yearly basis. During the annual review, when we asked them about our licensing, they couldn't explain it. For example, we had reduced by a factor of 40%, but our license only dropped by 5%. We would then ask Veritas people if we've reduced this much and shut down these servers, why has our license changed so less? They were never able to give us a straight answer. They weren't able to say, "Well, you're using this, and this is more expensive." In many cases, as we reduced our capacity and what we were using with Veritas NetBackup, our licensing actually went up, and they were often unable to explain why."
  • "Veritas NetBackup is very expensive, and I think price is the main reason which some customers don't want to use this solution."
  • "The price is fair."

Veritas NetBackup Reviews

RN
System Engineer with 1-10 employees
Short-term recovery options help our clients easily get lost data back into production

• "We are quite satisfied with the performance and reliability of the NetBackup product. When it comes to specific features, the most valuable is the Instant Recovery feature, which we call "short-term IR". Instant Recovery allows users to spin up backup images and bring back any VM instantly."
  • "Veritas NetBackup has been in the backup and recovery market for quite a long time, but somehow, from my own observations and from feedback from end users, its user interface is lagging behind other comparable solutions such as Veeam."

What is our primary use case?

We are an IT company that provides solutions to end users. Most of our end users come from the banking sector, the government sector, and other government-linked companies. When I say that we use Veritas NetBackup, I don't mean to say that we use it internally, but rather that we propose it and use it in solutions that we offer to clients.

Most of our clients use Veritas NetBackup to protect their highly critical workloads, which are often situated in virtual machines with Hyper-V or VMware. The primary workloads are databases ranging from Exchange, Oracle, MS SQL, and IBM Db2. And then it goes on to the application sites such as with SharePoint, NFS data, and all those things. Our users require this type of workload data protection on a full-time basis.

For backups, we use Veritas NetBackup and Veeam, and for virtualization we mostly use VMware. This covers our environment for all disaster recovery and replication scenarios. At times, we also rely on the default replication tools from either Veeam or VMware.

About 70% of our customers come from government agencies, and there are regulations from the Malaysian government that don't allow any data to be transferred to the public cloud. However, that doesn't stop the cloud backup initiatives in Malaysia because the regulation only states that it's not allowed when it goes to a cloud of which they don't know the location. Thus, many of the backup vendors work with local cloud providers to enable cloud backups.

What is most valuable?

It is called a short-term recovery option because once the backup image has been spun up, the end user can extract whatever data is needed from the image and bring it back into production. This is definitely the most-valued feature for our customers.

What needs improvement?

Our end users are more accustomed to better user interfaces and NetBackup still has a way to go in this regard. The features are great, but the user interface needs improvement, especially when you're looking at the web-based user interface. Most of the operations in NetBackup must be done using their base client user interface, and the feedback from our end users is that it isn't the most user-friendly interface.

Another area where we hope to see improvements is on the integration side. Nowadays, people aren't just looking at strictly backups and recovery features alone. They're now expecting more integration features along the lines of enhanced visibility, dashboard integrations, AI integrations, and so on. The users desire these integrations so that they can make the whole process of backup and recovery less complex, without having to perform any level of scripting.

We've been using Veritas NetBackup for almost 12 years.

I believe NetBackup is very stable. The only drawback is the subpar operation of the user interface, but apart from that we are very happy with the stability and reliability of the product.

It's quite easy to scale. For every additional workload that you want to protect, you just add it on top of your server as needed. So it's easy to understand how to scale it, and it's easy to actually do so.

I think their technical support is very good. Everything from their level 1 support up to their engineering support is on point.

The complexity of the initial setup largely depends on the client's infrastructure. If they want to protect VMware workloads, then it's quite straightforward because we just integrate it directly with their workloads. In this case, the implementation is simple.

However, if we are required to protect SAP HANA or some Oracle cluster, for instance, that requires a lot more work. It's much more complicated because it's not based on a user interface, and we need to have a high level of perspective and understanding. So, ultimately, it depends on what needs to be protected.

At our company we normally provide end-to-end solutions in terms of the product, for better product absorption. So we'll start early by going to the customer, preaching the positives about the product and the technology, talking about how it will solve their problems, and how it will protect their data. And then from there, our team provides installation and configuration services, as well as after-sales service comprising support and warranties.

What other advice do I have?

About seven or eight years back, Veritas and Commvault were considered the de facto leaders in the backup landscape. During that time, there were no major alternatives such as Veeam, and many customers relied solely on Veritas and were loyal to the product.

But nowadays, new customers have options, especially when it comes to smaller scale backup solutions for the small-medium type of companies. With us, we now see a multitude of different clients, from small companies to the enterprise.

The average company that is using multiple virtualization platforms, or physical platforms running Unix systems, will typically go with Veritas NetBackup rather than Veeam because Veeam is still in its infancy period when it comes to supporting these kinds of platforms. However, it does depend on the environment. Some of the smaller clients that we see will only have 4-5 VMs, and in that situation NetBackup typically won't be a good match because it's oriented towards a more sophisticated environment, especially concerning licensing.

When we do pre-sales with our customers, we tell them that they need to have back-to-back support from their executives, and we always teach them to allocate their reports to the OPEX budget, because they will need to have at least the latest supported version at all times running alongside their production servers. Unfortunately, somehow, there are always one or two customers who are still using unsupported machines.

I would rate Veritas NetBackup an eight out of ten.

TN
Senior Backup Engineer at a logistics company with 10,001+ employees
A very complicated and hard-to-manage solution that has outlived its usefulness and has extremely complicated licensing

• "It has been around for so long, and it is very in-depth. It has a solution for everything that you can cover."
  • "It was very complicated, and it required a lot of work in terms of management. We have moved to Rubrik. One of the reasons for getting rid of Veritas NetBackup was the fact that at one point, we had the support staff with 12 to 15 people to manage Veritas NetBackup, whereas, with Rubrik, I'm the only one managing Rubrik. There is one more person who works with me mostly due to the fact that in case I'm not around, someone else knows what to do, but I'm the only one who is a full-time manager of Rubrik. The complexity of Veritas required a large staff to manage it. We had daily issues that had to be looked into and resolved. A lot of these issues revolved around Veritas' handling of VMware, which is why first we moved VMware off Veritas. After we did that, we were also able to reduce our staff count. Their licensing is a disaster. It is extremely complicated. In most cases, Veritas themselves can't understand their own licensing."

What is our primary use case?

We are currently phasing it out, and we've gone to Rubrik. At one point, we were backing up everything with it, which included physical and virtual NAS. We moved the virtual first and then we started packing the physicals to move them.

How has it helped my organization?

I used to have a lot of respect for Veritas NetBackup, but over the years, they've lost their focus, and they're just not doing much to improve the product.

What is most valuable?

It has been around for so long, and it is very in-depth. It has a solution for everything that you can cover.

What needs improvement?

It was very complicated, and it required a lot of work in terms of management. We have moved to Rubrik. One of the reasons for getting rid of Veritas NetBackup was the fact that at one point, we had the support staff with 12 to 15 people to manage Veritas NetBackup, whereas, with Rubrik, I'm the only one managing Rubrik. There is one more person who works with me mostly due to the fact that in case I'm not around, someone else knows what to do, but I'm the only one who is a full-time manager of Rubrik. The complexity of Veritas required a large staff to manage it.

We had daily issues that had to be looked into and resolved. A lot of these issues revolved around Veritas' handling of VMware, which is why first we moved VMware off Veritas. After we did that, we were also able to reduce our staff count.

Their licensing is a disaster. It is extremely complicated. In most cases, Veritas themselves can't understand their own licensing.

I have personally used Veritas NetBackup for 15 to 20 years. In my current organization, it has been ingrained for quite some time. They have been using it for quite some time, but I have been here for only three years.

Dependability was lacking quite often because we were not getting the support for the support cases.

It has scalability.

We were not getting proper support for the support cases that we were opening. Some of that came down to the fact that they knew we were leaving. It was more like, "Yeah, you're already on your way out the door. So, we'll look at that when we look at it." It wasn't like, "You're a happy customer, and you're going to be staying around. We need to make sure we keep you happy." Typically, you need to escalate before you get to anyone helpful.

It had been installed long before I joined.

At some point, it did provide ROI, but over the years, Veritas has not continued to put enough effort into research and development. As a company, they're focusing on other products and really not managing the backup software very well.

It was on a yearly basis. During the annual review, when we asked them about our licensing, they couldn't explain it. For example, we had reduced by a factor of 40%, but our license only dropped by 5%. We would then ask Veritas people if we've reduced this much and shut down these servers, why has our license changed so less? They were never able to give us a straight answer. They weren't able to say, "Well, you're using this, and this is more expensive." In many cases, as we reduced our capacity and what we were using with Veritas NetBackup, our licensing actually went up, and they were often unable to explain why.

We also looked at Cohesity and decided to go with Rubrik. Rubrik was just simpler and easier to manage. As a result, we went from 12 to 15 members staff to 1 member.

What other advice do I have?

I honestly don't feel that Veritas NetBackup is forward-thinking. There are a lot better options to implement at this point. I would not suggest Veritas NetBackup to anyone at this point. It is not being managed properly.

Veritas needs to come out with a completely new product and break away from the old. They've basically been continuing to update the same product since the eighties. It is time for them to more or less move to a more forward-thinking. They need to be more in-line with how the environments work today. It has outlived its usefulness in all honesty. They would honestly be better off by re-inventing Veritas NetBackup than trying to fix what's broken.

I would rate Veritas NetBackup a three out of ten.

Learn what your peers think about Veritas NetBackup. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: October 2021.
543,089 professionals have used our research since 2012.
MahdiBahmani
Solution Architect, IT Consultant at Merdasco - Rayan Merdas Data Prosseccing
The good integration in a heterogeneous environment and protection against malware

• "Our customers who have faced ransomware attacks were able to recover their data in less than one day without any stress. Veritas is ransomware resilient and because of its implementation, it is not dependent on the operating system to work."
  • "Like the other enterprise solutions, Veritas NetBackup isn't easy to implement. It's a little bit hard compared to other solutions like Data Protector for HPE. You have to struggle to learn a lot of features that Veritas NetBackup offers to customers."

What is our primary use case?

We are a solution provider company and we have several support contracts with our customers. We try to select the best solution for each. In smaller environments, we prefer using Veeam Backup. For our larger enterprise customers, we use Veritas NetBackup. This solution is very stable and flexible for experts who wants a feature full backup solution.

Veritas NetBackup is implemented as a primary tool in the organization for making backup a huge landscape of Aix, Unix, Virtualization, and Windows machines. This includes Oracle, DB2, and SQL Database, and etc.
We mainly looked at a trusted long-timer in the market to be able to invest to ensure the solution is proven to be trusted.

How has it helped my organization?

In my view, it's been a reliable backup solution for all of our enterprise customers. Our maintenance cost has been reduced and we were able to have more time to service more customers.

As one of the best data backup and recovery solution worldwide, NetBackup gives enterprise IT a flexible and powerful way to ensure the integrity and availability of their data from the edge to the core to the cloud.

The main feature Includes:

Flexible Deployment: Support for any workload, any cloud, any architecture at any scale.

Operational Simplicity: Orchestrate and automate discovery, protection, and recovery.

Enterprise-Grade Resiliency: Ensure recovery of business-critical data with near-zero RPO and RTO.

What is most valuable?

Veritas integrates well with the cloud, all databases, all operating systems, all hardware, and all software. Veritas also has solid malware and ransomware protection features. From time to time, we face a new kind of attack, and Veritas has always proven to be the best protection solution for some of my customers. Our customers who have faced ransomware attacks were able to recover their data in less than one day without any stress. Veritas is ransomware resilient and because of its implementation, it is not dependent on the operating system to work. Most of the functions of the Veritas software are isolated from the operating system and it's not dependent on the operating systems involved. This is very important. When some of our operating systems are infected by a virus, Veritas still works perfectly and protects our data. This feature is very well implemented in Veritas NetBackup.

Main features of Veritas NetBackup are:
Log management and truncation.
Third-party integrations.
Hypervisor aware.
Physical and virtual protection.
Cloud system security.
API integration.
Database consistency preservation.
Integrated appliance.

What needs improvement?

Like the other enterprise solutions, Veritas NetBackup isn't easy to implement. It's a little bit hard compared to other solutions like Data Protector for HPE. You have to struggle to learn a lot of features that Veritas NetBackup offers to customers. I don't think it's impossible to simplify this solution. Some solutions like backup solutions are mandatory solutions and they are inherently complicated because you have to integrate them with other services. We have a lot of services and each service has its own conditions. After several years, every engineer can learn most features of this solution and in some companies, they could use support from the source company. As such, I think it's not challenging for all customers.

I have been using this Backup solution for more than 15 years.

In Veritas, I'm hoping for a better price. Veritas NetBackup is very expensive, and I think price is the main reason which some customers don't want to use this solution.

When evaluating and choosing a solution, it depends on the situation. We choose the best solution for our customers, so it's hard to say if I would recommend Veritas over Veeam. In many ways, Veritas is a unique product. It has advantages when you want to transfer your data over SAN. SAN backup solutions are very important in some environments. Where window time is very limited for them and a huge amount of data needs to be transferred in less than five or six hours a day, we have to use a SAN backup feature. In this area, Veeam is not good compared to Veritas NetBackup. When you want to use this feature, you have to share the mainline of your storage with Veeam Backup, and many customers refuse to adopt this method of SAN backup. Many customers don't want to compromise their source of data, so they prefer Veritas' SAN backup in this area. I think it's one of the best, like IBM TSM.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate Veritas NetBackup nine out of 10. I can't find any problems. I think it is the best. I think it's perfect.

Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: Implementor
AR
Information Technology Infrastructure Team Lead at a tech services company with 5,001-10,000 employees
Good functionalities with virtual environments, fairly-priced, but the support needs improvement

• "The most valuable feature is flexibility."
  • "In regards to protecting the physical servers with parameters, it's a long and difficult process."

What is our primary use case?

We are service providers. We provide services to our clients.

We use it to protect the workloads on the customer's site. We also use it to protect our site.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is flexibility. The flexibility to deploy according to the customer's needs. It allows you to add one server and the flexibility to add more servers, in case you want to increase your workloads.

It has good documentation and support. It has good online communication with support.

It has the flexibility to get the experience required to manage and solve any issue related to the product.

The product itself has good functionalities with virtual environments, such as Hyper-V and VMware.

It can protect almost all databases, such as Cyber databases, and Oracle.

It also has the flexibility to install and configure backups for physical and virtual servers at once.

What needs improvement?

They started deploying with web interfaces, new web interfaces, but it doesn't have all of the functionalities as the Java consoles have.

They are now adding more functionalities to the web interfaces that we need. In one or two years, you will have the full functionality using the web interface.

They need to improve the interface.

I have tested this in Veeam and it was much easier to implement. With NetBackup, you have to configure the server and many other requirements in the process. You could have issues with restoring if the parameter is installed to different hardware.

There are also a lot of requirements with the integration of SharePoint and Exchange. This is an area that customers complain about. They don't like that you have all of the requirements before you can configure the backup.

Veeam is much easier to integrate with Exchange. With NetBackups there are many prerequisites that make it difficult for the customer.

I have been working with this solution for more than seven years.

It's a stable solution.

It's very scalable. You can start with one server and you can scale your workload and cases.

You can add different functionality with the servers. You can scale it to different sites if you need to implement the different sites and then configure replications between sites.

You can also migrate from one server to another server. If your hardware is not sufficient or if you need to refresh your hardware.

It gives you the flexibility to migrate all of the data to new hardware and to change from a single server to a cluster. You can also change from one server to an appliance.

You have all of the flexibility and scalability.

I would rate technical support a seven out of ten. At times, you will receive helpful and fast support, and other times they struggle with some issues and take time to get back to the client and log the ticket to see what the issue and they analyze the logs.

You have to have experience. They are dedicated to solving the issue but sometimes there are delays.

The price is fair.

What other advice do I have?

I have a lot of experience with it and I have a lot of experience with Veeam. I think that the only weakness with Veritas is the user interface. It's not friendly and it's not easy to understand.

For functionality in protecting the data, it has all of the requirements to protect any workload on the virtual machines.

It's the best solution in the market right now.

If you are considering Veritas, you should have a qualified team that is trained in using NetBackup. If the team does not have the required experience, they will find it difficult and they will think that it an issue with the product.

It is a good product as long as you have a good team to manage it at each stage.

I would rate Veritas NetBackup a seven out of ten.

SK
Service Delivery Director at a tech services company with 1-10 employees
Reseller
Very stable with good compression but needs a lot of pre-planning before deployment

• "The solution has been very good over the years at fine-tuning various aspects of the product so that it is continuously made better."
  • "Planning for the implementation takes a lot of time."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use this solution in order to backup virtual machines and our databases as well as the mainstream applications such as Exchange, etc.

What is most valuable?

The most useful aspect of this solution is the MSDP, the Media Server Deduplication Pool. I like how they do the compression that they do, and how it helps move it to a safe space.

The initial setup is pretty straightforward.

What needs improvement?

The user interface of the product needs to be improved. It's been the same for so many years. Likely, they haven't changed it in more than 10 years. That is definitely something that needs to be changed and updated. The interface and console both need a bit of a facelift, so to speak.

They have come out with a web application, however, the web application is not fully developed yet.

Planning for the implementation takes a lot of time.

I've been dealing with the solution for quite a long time at this point. It's been ten years. It's at least a decade.

After ten years of using this product, I can say definitively that it is extremely stable. We don't have issues with it. It's reliable. There aren't bugs or glitches. It doesn't crash or freeze.

I wouldn't describe the scalability as bad. I'd say it's pretty good. We haven't had issues with the appliance when it comes to scaling.

In terms of technical support, it's been so far so good. I would say the only improvement needed is the callback time. They would say they will call back in two hours, however, many times we didn't get called back in that time. That said, the technical knowledge of the support engineers is very good.

We also use Quorum. Which is a better option depends on the use case and also the company size. Usually, I would recommend Quorum for a smaller business that actually wants not only a backup but also a DR or HA solution. However, for bigger enterprises, I definitely recommend Veritas, due to the fact that for a bigger environment they will have a pre-setup DR environment and all they need is point-in-time response. On top of that, a larger organization typically has a lot of applications.

While the initial setup is not complex, and, in fact, pretty straightforward, the planning is not that easy. The planning needs a lot of time. It often takes days just for that one part.

Veritas should come up with some sort of a standardized checklist that everyone can use to simplify the implementation process.

Typically, for a deployment, you need one or two people. That's the maximum to do the deployment, in theory, however, it depends on the environment. If it's a very large or complex one, we will need more. Most of the time it's one to two persons for deployment and maintenance.

The solution is pretty expensive, which is why it's important to do proper sizing and capacity planning, so that you aren't buying more than you need.

What other advice do I have?

We are resellers. We resell both Veritas and Quorum products.

In Malaysia, solutions like this are typically installed on-premises.

Overall, I would rate the solution at a seven out of ten.

Veritas is a very good solution. I'd recommend other organizations to try it, however, to always do proper capacity planning before going with Veritas, as they may not be happy with the price later if they just assume the prices. They should do a thorough assessment before purchasing NetBackup.

VC
Customer Solution Architect, IT Outsourcing & Cloud Computing Services at a comms service provider with 10,001+ employees
Very good VM portal and the CloudCatalyst but needs disaster recovery capabilities

• "The VM portal and the CloudCatalyst are two of the solution's most valuable features."
  • "It would be helpful, in future releases, if the solution could add WORM (Write Once Read Many) support right within the product."

What is our primary use case?

I primarily use the solution to back up my customer's CMs or servers inside all of their data centers.

What is most valuable?

The VM portal and the CloudCatalyst are two of the solution's most valuable features.

What needs improvement?

The interaction of NetBackup with the cloud is not an easy process. You can't choose, for example, data optimization with the cloud. We would like to use CloudCatalyst with AWS and we can't. I don't know how to explain it, but the data file optimization is not usable everywhere. It's not a seamless solution in all instances. We'd like it to be multi-cloud and it's not there yet.

It would be helpful, in future releases, if the solution could add WORM (Write Once Read Many) support right within the product.

The solution would benefit from the addition of disaster recovery.

I've been using the solution for five years now.

The stability is quite good. We haven't had issues with the product crashing. There aren't bugs or glitches that affect our work. It's reliable.

We're quite a sizable company. We've got maybe a 1000 operations and maybe 200 people working on projects. The solution is extensively used on a daily basis by our teams.

The solution is very scalable. We've scaled it ourselves within our organization and didn't have any issues. Other companies should feel confident that they can scale as well if they need to.

I personally have never contacted technical support, however, our operations teams have. I haven't heard anyone in our organization complain about their service which leads me to believe they've quite good. I would say overall our teams are satisfied with their level of service provided.

We previously used Dell EMC's Avamar solution. We decided to switch to Veritas after running into problems on Dell's platform and dealing with large overhead costs to have the solution.

The initial setup is not straightforward. it's quite complex. The process required a lot of engineering and had lots of components that needed to be addressed.

I don't recall the amount of time it took to deploy the solution.

The solution does require maintenance, however, I don't know too much about the process. We're a quite large company. I don't know how many people are working on this solution in total.

The implementation was handled by us. We are a service provider for our clients. We didn't need an outside consultant or integrator to assist us. We have our own in-house team of engineers that can handle everything.

Compared to other solutions, such as Dell EMC's Avamar, the solution is reasonably priced.

We've got a simple payment scheme set up where most of the features and the product itself are included in one single cost. It's quite straight forward in terms of pricing.

What other advice do I have?

Since we are a service provider, we have a close relationship with Veritas. We offer services based on their technology and on their product.

I'd advise others considering implementing the solution to first evaluate against use cases. Depending on the use cases, the cost can change quite a lot. Overall, I'd recommend the solution, however. It's quite good and very reliable.

I'd rate the solution seven out of ten.

RM
Senior Systems Support Analyst at a financial services firm with 11-50 employees
All-inclusive with everything under one console

• "This is a complete solution, everything is under one console."
  • "Licensing costs are quite high."

What is our primary use case?

Our use case really depends on what we need at a particular time so we use the solution for online productives and we also do incrementals. We are customers of Veritas and I'm a senior systems support analyst.

What is most valuable?

The value of this solution is that it's a complete solution and the fact that we can do almost every standard process including backups, is interesting and better than the competition. Everything is under one console as opposed to some of the other solutions whereby you can use them to do key backups but when it comes to the client you can't monitor everything on the console. This product is already compatible with most of our servers, it's already doing backup on disc, on tapes, on other peer servers.

What needs improvement?

Off the top of my head, I can't think of anything that can be added to the solution. Our real issue is the pricing and it's a recurring cost, so it's not something that will go away any time soon.

I've been using this solution for 10 years.

This is a stable solution.

The solution is scalable. The only time we need to do anything is when we're upgrading to the next version and there may be major components that need to be looked at.

The current solution is stable and we haven't needed to contact the support.

I have previously tried a couple of different solutions. But for the time being, it's really one of the most complete solutions. We were using another solution from Symantec for backup purposes. Prior to that, we had also tried another vendor solution, which was for an IBM solution. For a time, we also used Veeam and we have been looking into either implementing Infrascale or Commvault. For the time being, it looks like Commvault would be the replacement for Veritas. It's a cheaper solution.

The initial setup was very straightforward and took about 15 minutes. We had help from the vendor. There isn't much maintenance required, only if there's an issue with something. We are  small company, so it's not a problem - we do backups of the servers and almost everything that we have on our infrastructure. When we carry out the backup for the exchange server, we do backups for everyone in the company, so it's not just one specific user or a couple of users. There are three admins in the company.

I don't know the licensing costs off the top of my head, but it's pretty high compared to other solutions out there. There are also additional costs for things like support.

What other advice do I have?

As a technical solution, this product is right up there. I would recommend the solution but it would depend on the use cases and the load. Depending on the load, there might be other, more cost-effective solutions.

I would rate this solution a nine out of 10.

Dalai B
Senior DBA at a comms service provider with 1,001-5,000 employees
Stable, with good scalability potential, but needs a better user interface

• "The backup and restore functions are very valuable aspects of the product."
  • "It's a little bit complex to manage."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution for backup purposes.

What is most valuable?

The backup and restore functions are very valuable aspects of the product. We use those features the most.

The solution is very stable.

The scalability is very good.

What needs improvement?

I'm not fully satisfied with the product.

It's a little bit complex to manage.

The user interface is not user-friendly. It's a bit complex, and it's dated in appearance. It needs a much simpler, cleaner update.

The reporting is too complex. There needs to be a way to customize it in a simple and straightforward manner.

The solution has extra features, however, you need to pay for them.

Occasionally, technical support cannot find the root cause of issues.

We've been using the solution for about four years at this point. It's been a while.

The solution is very stable. There are no bugs or glitches. It doesn't crash or freeze. it's reliable.

The scalability of the product is very good. A company can scale it with relative ease if it needs to.

While technical support is responsive, we have found that sometimes they just seem can't find the actual root cause of the issues we present. Sometimes they can't fix our issues. That's why we aren't 100% satisfied with the level of support they provide. They need to be more knowledgeable and dig deeper to resolve issues.

I can't speak too much about the installation process.

My understanding is that the installation is simple as it has an appliance that's installed. The usage is a bit complex and there needs to be extra licensing to customize the reporting - however, that's a different issue.

It is not an all-in-one solution. Some features come at an extra cost and need extra hardware or software.

I can't speak to the actual pricing of the product, however.

We are casually looking into alternative solutions. We are looking at Commvault, Rubrik, Cohesity, and Dell. Mostly, we are interested in enterprise-level products.

What other advice do I have?

We are not using the latest version of the product. The NetBackup version we are using is 8.0. We use a NetBackup Appliance. The NetBackup version is a bit older as it's integrated with the backup appliance. That's why we cannot upgrade to the latest version. The latest version is 9.0.

I would warn other potential users that, in my experience, it's a bit complex and may be difficult to achieve some requirements compared to other products. Rubrik or Cohesity may be a bit easier, for example. It's a little bit traditional in terms of architecture. However, the features compared to others are really quite amazing.

In general, I would rate the product at a seven out of ten.

Download our free Veritas NetBackup Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.