DB
Alliance Solution Architect at a consultancy with 10,001+ employees
Great security with excellent compression and deduplication

• "The solution offers very good storage efficiency, so there's excellent compression and deduplication within the product that our clients really appreciate."
  • "It would be extremely helpful if the solution offered near-zero recovery time for SQL."

What is our primary use case?

The primary use cases for our clients are for data protection and for backups.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable aspect of the solution for our clients, obviously, is security. It backs up Microsoft SQL Server very well.

The solution offers very good storage efficiency, so there's excellent compression and deduplication within the product that our clients really appreciate.

What needs improvement?

How the solution operates in the cloud could be improved. There's a feature called data immutability, and needs to be improved within the product.

I'm only familiar with the 8.2 version of the solution. It is my understanding that there are some new features that are being released in 8.3. However, more API integration is required in future releases, if that's not already in the works.

I've been using the solution for 20 years. It's been about two decades.

The solution is very stable. Our clients find it reliable. There aren't bugs or glitches that affect how it works. It doesn't crash or cause downtime.

The solution can scale. That's not a problem. I usually consult with organizations that are medium to large in size, and I know that if they need to expand or scale up, they can do so with this product.

I have not had any experience with technical support. That service is for my clients to work with. I simply help evaluate the product on their behalf. My understanding, however, is that they've got a support and managed service that they offer with service level agreements.

Unfortunately, I don't implement the solution. I just evaluate different products, including this one, for my clients. Since I'm not involved in the process, I wouldn't be able to evaluate how difficult or straightforward it is to accomplish.

I am aware of the list pricing. It can be quite high if your company has a lot of storage.

It's licensed on a per terabyte basis. Depending on how many terabytes you have, that will ultimately determine the cost. There aren't any additional costs beyond the per terabyte pricing.

What other advice do I have?

We're Veritas partners, however, we are independent and completely neutral towards our partners. I'm a consultant. I don't use the product. I evaluate the product for clients. The clients are the ones who use the product.

I'd advise other organizations to look at both their on-prem and cloud together. It's good to manage everything from one place.

I'd rate the solution eight out for ten.

Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: Consultant
NA
Technical Specialist at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
Reseller
User-friendly, stable, and feature-rich

• "NetBackup is very easy for end-users."
  • "The biggest problem with NetBackup is licensing."

What is our primary use case?

We are a solution provider and Veritas NetBackup is one of the backup and recovery products that we resell to our clients.

How has it helped my organization?

This product works well for all of our use cases.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is the ease of use. NetBackup is very easy for end-users.

We have never had a problem restoring data.

NetBackup has all of the features that you would expect. It includes differential and incremental backups, snapshots, virtual backup, backing up to the cloud, and backing up on-premises.

What needs improvement?

The biggest problem with NetBackup is licensing. With more customers working with virtual machines, they are now licensing based on the number of CPU cores. Some customers choose Veeam because if they have two servers with 100 terabytes then that is four CPU cores, and it will cost less than it would with NetBackup. This is a change from the past, where the licensing was on a per-socket basis.

I have been working with Veritas netBack for about two years. My company has been involved with backup solutions from different vendors for about 30 years.

This is a very stable product and better than IBM in this regard.

It is very easy to scale. There are two different solutions, where Backup Exec is for small to medium-sized businesses, and NetBackup is for medium to enterprise-sized organizations.n.

We are very satisfied with the technical support.

We also work with products from Veeam and IBM. I have about 10 years of experience with IBM Spectrum Protect but the support for it is very poor in Egypt. For this reason, we prefer to work with Veritas NetBackup and Veeam.

With IBM, there have been many times where we were unable to restore data.

IBM uses many agents for backup tasks, whereas Veritas uses only one agent for backing up files, databases, and applications. The IBM approach is more complex.

It is very easy and straightforward to set up. The length of time required for deployment depends on the implementation and the number of servers. I would say that the average is between three and four days.

We have two people to deploy this solution.

Licensing fees are charged based on the number of CPU cores.

What other advice do I have?

Overall, NetBackup is a good product and the only problem is the licensing module. We would really like to have socket-based licensing.

I would rate this solution a nine out of ten.

Learn what your peers think about Veritas NetBackup. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: October 2021.
543,424 professionals have used our research since 2012.
AM
Senior Infrastructure Consultant at a insurance company with 10,001+ employees
User friendly with great features, but very expensive

• "The solution offers a lot of really great features that organizations can utilize and take advantage of."
  • "The only pain point we have with this solution is the cost. It's very expensive. In fact, it's so expensive we are looking for other platforms. We want to move away from it in order to save our organization costs."

What is most valuable?

Overall, the solution is great. We have no complaints in terms of the quality it provides.

We have been using Veritas NetBackup in our environment for the past 10 years. Although the features don't change much, it's extremely user friendly for us. We have widely deployed the solution as our sole backup solution for the past few years.

What needs improvement?

We've been using the solution for ten years. It's been about a decade since we first started using the solution.

We are growing, and, at the same time, we are also doing some sort of consolidation in Singapore. Due to the fact that we are growing at a very rapid speed, we are looking at other products in the market that can deal with the big amount of data that we are going to back up and we're focusing on those that can do the work very efficiently.

I have contacted technical support in the past. Actually, in fact, I am very close to the account and product team operators in Singapore. They're great. They've been very supportive. We've quite satisfied with the level of service provided.

The initial setup is quite straightforward. The solution itself is very user friendly, so we didn't find the implementation very complex.

Deployment took about half a day of work.

Currently, we're evaluating Cohesity. It is a new solution that we are starting to assess. We're looking at whether it's the right solution to replace our existing NetBackup.

Right now, our entire organization is a NetBackup supporter. However, we also understand that the cost of the backup is actually extremely high. We are actually looking at some sort of alternative at this point.

What other advice do I have?

We're a NetBackup customer and we have a close partnership with Veritas. We don't provide any services to clients. We just happen to use it.

The product itself is great, however, the pricing is very high compared to the competition.

Veritas has been quite well known in the market for some time now. They have a lot of features as well. However, at the end of the day, it's always the cost that we have to consider.

I'd rate the solution seven out of ten.

PK
Advisor - Solution Architect at a computer software company with 10,001+ employees
A backup and recovery suite with a useful duplication feature, but it would be better if it had a cloud integration feature

• "The deduplication feature is useful. Deduplication and compression features are what I like about NetBackup."
  • "It would be better if it had a cloud integration feature. I would like to use a single product for the cloud instances and the on-premise instances. The price could also be better."

What is our primary use case?

We use NetBackup primarily for backup and recovery. When you have some data, you need to back up that data. If there is any disruption or deletion or if there's a disaster, you can have your data back and restore it and use it.

What is most valuable?

The deduplication feature is useful. Deduplication and compression features are what I like about NetBackup.

What needs improvement?

It would be better if it had a cloud integration feature. I would like to use a single product for the cloud instances and the on-premise instances. The price could also be better.

I would like to have a backup option for end-user devices. That means end-user devices like mobile devices, VDI solutions, desktops, laptops, etc. In this COVID time, most of us work from home, and end-user device backup is really important today.

I have been using Veritas NetBackup for almost 15 years.

No product is stable, but it hasn't been an issue. It's an old product and a mature product, and it hasn't been an issue. We have a customized offering created with the NetBackup and Pure Storage, and it's working well.

Scalability depends on the customer profile. Each product has its own unique selling points, and some customers prefer to use other software like Commvault. We have most of the virtual environment in Veeam because our customers prefer it. But NetBackup is equally good.

Technical support is good. If we find an issue, we get in touch with their support immediately.

The initial setup isn't complex; I would say that it's moderately easy to implement this solution. We need to have some machines. It's a resource-centric server. If we're using it for enterprises, we need some dedicated physical servers to install this, like master and media servers. It's not very simple, but it's not very complex. I found it in-between.

We provide full deployment services, managed services, support, and maintenance.

NetBackup is expensive. They need to work on the pricing side. I find it comparatively on the higher side when I compare the terabyte backup costs.

What other advice do I have?

Veritas NetBackup is suitable for medium to large enterprises. Backup Exec, a lighter version of NetBackup, is better suited for small businesses which are Windows-based or Linux-based,

On a scale from one to ten, I would give Veritas NetBackup a seven.

JG
Manager, Infrastructure & Support at a insurance company with 10,001+ employees
Friendly graphical user interface has made it easy for us to create policies and to do installs

• "Good graphical user interface. It's easy to create policies and to do installs."
  • "Lacks a reporting feature."

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case is for our databases, servers and VM. We are resellers of this product and I am the manager of infrastructure and support.

How has it helped my organization?

Backup brings us business continuity.

What is most valuable?

I like this solution, it's quite easy to use because of the friendly graphical user interface. It's easy to create policies and to do installs.

What needs improvement?

This product doesn't come with a reporting feature which means it has to be installed separately. The outcome is that you don't have good analytical tools or business intelligence reports that you can share with top management. Previously, we were unable to do regular restore of sites, especially with mailbox backup which made things cumbersome. That seems to have been sorted in recent versions. Finally, if you need to change the server, the solution requires retention of the initial domain name. I think this can possibly create security concerns. The solution is also quite costly.

I've been using this solution for 10 years.

The solution is stable. You can install one version and forget about it.

The solution is scalable. We have one person maintaining it and our users are the IT team, the manager for infrastructure and support and about six people involved in technolgical support.

The last time we used technical support was when we made a version change. They were fine.

Deployment was completed in less than a week. We used a third party and they were quite good. They took us through the installation, the configuration, and they trained me as well.

I don't have the actual figures at the moment, but this is a costly product. Additional expenses would come in when other devices are integrated to the backup solution in that tape library.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this product because of the ease of use, the simple installation and that the solution is on cloud rather than on-prem. It's important to research options and to do fact finding before getting into it. You need to know that this is the solution you're looking for.

Finally, no matter how well your environment is maintained, or well kept, or how well your disaster recovery plans are in place, at some point you will need a backup solution.

I would rate this solution an eight out of 10.

KC
Solutions Architect at AspireNXT
Reseller
Great integration with third party applications, instant access to VMs and SQL data

• "Unauthorized people cannot log in and execute commands."
  • "They currently have the Java concept and it should be less intensive and take less load."

What is our primary use case?

The primary use case of Veritas is generally for protecting data and storing it at a secondary site. Use of the solution is sometimes dependent on compliance requirements. Depending on the client, the solution can be deployed on-prem, on cloud, and sometimes using a hybrid option. I'm a solutions architect and a reseller of Veritas.

What is most valuable?

I like the NetBackup Appliance form factor, where your data is 99.9% safe because unauthorized people cannot log in and execute commands. It requires an admin password and includes IDS and IPS features. I also like the integration with third parties and third party applications, like instant recovery and instant access of the VMs and SQL data.

What needs improvement?

I'd like to see some simplification in the solution. They currently have the Java concept and it should be less intensive and take less load. The integration should be simple, not a script-based backup with minimum input and maximum output. The solution also needs more integration, even the infrastructure has become more complex. They currently have integrated containers and Kubernetes for backup but they could include backup of SQL or Oracle, or performance in the visualization process. All those things could be improved.

I've been using this solution for six years.

There are no issues with the stability. I haven't had any problems with it.

As a cloud structure, the solution is scalable. The only issue is that data size is more than 20 PBR and requires multiple media servers and an increase in LAN or CPU, to absorb the load on the master media servers.

The technical support has improved and is much better than it used to be.

I've also used CloudPoint which is integrated with NetBackup in the 9.1 version. With NetBackup, I can take a VM level backup and file level backups; in CloudPoint you can take  volume level backups. Currently there is no file level backups in the cloud whereas with NetBackup you can do that. In comparing NetBackup with a backup platform service controller, the PSC is great because it's simple to use, simple to install and the integration is very easy. NetBackup is for enterprise clients and therefore takes longer to learn.

The initial setup is very easy and there's no similar service.

NetBackup is a little costlier compared to other products and backup PSC.

What other advice do I have?

I rate the solution nine out of 10.

RM
Senior Systems Support Analyst at a financial services firm with 11-50 employees
Good multiplatform support and scales well, but it is expensive

• "This is a product that has been on the market for a while and they have mastered the backup process, especially when backing up to tape, for most environments."
  • "You cannot tell what your costs are going to be by using the dashboard, which is something that should be improved."

What is our primary use case?

Veritas is one of the leaders in terms of backing up any type of server. We have been using it for backing up our AIX servers, Windows servers, VMs running on VMware, and even our Linux servers. Everything is backed up using Veritas.

What is most valuable?

What needs improvement?

You cannot tell what your costs are going to be by using the dashboard, which is something that should be improved. If you overuse based on your FETB licensing, you run the risk of getting fined.

I have been using Veritas NetBackup for the past 10 years, starting prior to the company that I am working for now.

This is a scalable solution. We are using it to back up approximately 30 servers.

We have not needed to use technical support.

I have some experience with different backup systems including Commvault, as well. The installation of Commvault is somewhat easier to do.

The initial installation is more complex than that of Commvault.

We did not complete the installation in-house. Instead, it is was done by a company with which we work. The deployment was done by two people and there is one person to maintain it.

Our primary complaint about this product is that it is too expensive.

There are some issues with the product and the Front-End Terabyte (FETB) licensing model that have changed, and we are considering changing products in part because of this. Once the current license expires, we may be phasing it out.

The problem is that previously, we had licensing for our processes, whereas now it is only FETB. It means that we are now forcing our clients to go to the cloud.

We are using an older version of Veritas, so we have been looking at the market to see if there is a cheaper alternative.

What other advice do I have?

In summary, this is a good product but we do have a complaint about the price. They are very good at what they do but they are very expensive, and it can get even more expensive if you are fined for overuse.

I would rate this solution a seven out of ten.

MW
Project Manager at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
Supports multiple environments, easy to use, and stable

• "It is easy to use, and you can run it with all kinds of client software environments. It works well with the most popular software, file systems, and operating systems. It is very useful to us."
  • "We want a solution that can be scaled-out because our data is growing very quickly, and we aren't able to back it up quickly. It takes one or two days, which is a problem. It is very slow. We just use one backup server. We want another solution with maybe a backup server cluster to back up more data in one day. We want a solution that can be scaled-out to back up our data quickly and efficiently."

What is our primary use case?

We use Veritas to back up our database and our project's data, such as chart layouts, research and data files, to tape library or network-attached storage (NAS).

What is most valuable?

What needs improvement?

We want a solution that can be scaled-out because our data is growing very quickly, and we aren't able to back it up quickly. It takes one or two days, which is a problem. It is very slow. We just use one backup server. We want another solution with maybe a backup server cluster to back up more data in one day. We want a solution that can be scaled-out to back up our data quickly and efficiently.

I have been using this solution for more than eight years.

It is very stable.

We just use it on one backup server. Our data is growing, and it is taking more time to back up our complete data. It is very slow. We want a solution that can be scaled-out to back up our data quickly and efficiently.

In terms of the number of users, we have 20 to 30 users of this solution.

Technical support is not convenient in China these days because of the virus. It may be because the engineers from the vendor are working from home, so we cannot get telephone support. We can only use email support, which is not efficient.

Its initial setup is not very complex. It took us one or two months to deploy it. We have a team of five IT people for deployment.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this solution. We are a system integrator, and we have a lot of users who have been using this solution for ten years. The only problem that we are facing now is of speed. We will continue to use it, but we are also looking for a better solution to back up more quickly. Speed is our main requirement. We might continue to use Veritas if they can provide a parallel solution, a cluster solution, or a cloud solution to back up our data more quickly. Otherwise, we will switch to another vendor.

I would rate Veritas NetBackup a nine out of ten.

Download our free Veritas NetBackup Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.