NJ
Infrastructure Delivery Manager at a energy/utilities company with 501-1,000 employees
Backs up every application we own, scales quite well, and has excellent stability

• "The feature that is most useful for us is that it backs up every application that we own."
  • "Within their product lineup, they need to consolidate down to one product. Veritas doesn't have one product that does everything. So, Veritas can do everything, but you basically need to run two products. I would like them to combine all the capabilities into one release."

What is our primary use case?

I'm using it in our company. We're a government-owned entity.

In terms of version, it would be N minus two. We are probably two versions off the latest one.

What is most valuable?

What needs improvement?

Within their product lineup, they need to consolidate down to one product. Veritas doesn't have one product that does everything. So, Veritas can do everything, but you basically need to run two products. I would like them to combine all the capabilities into one release.

I have been using this solution for at least seven years.

The stability of the product has been excellent over the years. In the last three years, the product has been very stable.

Its scalability is fine. It is an enterprise solution. It is for large data centers or large deployments. So, it scales quite well.

We have six people in the infrastructure team who work with this product.

Their technical support is very good.

I have worked with Commvault and Arcserve, and when compared to these products, Veritas is better.

Its initial setup was straightforward.

It is slightly more expensive than Commvault, but it is pretty much the same. It is an enterprise solution, so it scales quite well. It has a lot of features. So, you pay for what you get. It is not cheap, but it is fit for the purpose.

What other advice do I have?

If you are a pure cloud place or if you are running a pure cloud enterprise where you have no on-premise solutions, I would advise other products. If you are running hybrid, like many of the data centers are still running hybrid, and you have a lot of on-premise workloads or very large Oracle workloads like we do, you can run Veritas. You will have no issue. If you're a new green site or you're a startup or a green site, I would run Veeam or Rubrik because it is all-new.

I would rate Veritas NetBackup an eight out of 10.

KK
Executive Vice President - Operations at a insurance company with 10,001+ employees
Reasonably priced, with various licensing models, and is reliable

• "It was especially useful with the appliances we use on a daily basis."
  • "I would like to have support enabled for cloud backups."

What is our primary use case?

We use Veritas NetBackup for our backups.

What is most valuable?

Most of our requirements have been met. It was especially useful with the appliances we use on a daily basis.

What needs improvement?

They are discontinuing the support for IBM AIX operating system in the latest version. I would like to see them continue with this service.

I would like to have support enabled for cloud backups.

There are several services that are not available that would make it more compatible with cloud technologies.

The majority of the features you require are deduplication, compression, and there is a dependency on the geo-clusters from a DRN standpoint. They should concentrate more on removing the dependency because preparing your DRN architecture for backup is very complex.

I have been working with Veritas NetBackup for the last 13 years.

We are using version 9.

It can be deployed both on-premises and on our cloud.

So far Veritas NetBackup has been stable.

Scalability is a challenge because it is only available in a fixed capacity of, at least 48 terabytes, which makes it difficult to manage.

Previously, we used IBM Tivoli.

While I was not a part of the initial setup, I understand that it is fairly simple.

I was involved in the product version upgrade. We were able to finish it and begin using the built-in appliance.

We completed the implementation in three weeks and have been using the appliances on a daily basis since then.

It is currently managed by a team of three people.

The price is reasonable.

We purchased a perpetual license and perform SMS renewals.

What other advice do I have?

Before you decide, I would advise going for the right model because there are different types of licensing available. It is available on a Platform-based which is a capacity-based model, by the number of clients who are using it, and a Tradition model.

Managing the server becomes very complex, and you should do the software compliance.

Also, once the backup for the databases is configured, enable data compression at the source to reduce the amount of data that travels across the network.

I would rate Veritas NetBackup a nine out of ten.

Learn what your peers think about Veritas NetBackup. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: October 2021.
542,823 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Giap Seng  Tay
Senior Manager, IT at Westports Malaysia Sdn Bhd
Robust with excellent features and good scalability

• "They are among the top in the world for backup and recovery."
  • "The solution costs too much."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution for backup and recovery.

What is most valuable?

Overall the solution is very good. It's a lovely appliance.

They are among the top in the world for backup and recovery.

The solution is very robust. It covers most of the features that I need and it's able to back up legacy items efficiently.

Technically, it's quite good.

We've found the scalability to be very good.

The stability and performance are excellent.

What needs improvement?

The solution costs too much. They should work to make it less.

The licensing needs to be improved.

I've been using the solution for ten or 12 years or so. It's been about a decade. We've used it for a long time.

The stability of the solution is very good. There are no bugs or glitches. It doesn't crash or freeze. It's reliable and the performance has been excellent.

The scalability is okay. It covers a lot of areas that other backup solutions are not covering - such as Unix.

We're using the appliance. It's based on size and not on users.

Support wise, we have local support and it is quite strong. We've very satisfied with them overall. They are helpful and responsive.

The initial setup is pretty straightforward. It's not overly complex. We have a PC. We are familiar with everything as we have 10 years of experience using it. It's not an issue. A company shouldn't have too much trouble with the process either.

The solution is quite expensive. It's like buying a normal car for the price of a Rolls Royce.

What other advice do I have?

I'm a customer and an end-user. I don't have a business relationship with Veritas.

If you have money to spend, I would recommend the solution. If you have a unique environment, it's the best option.

I'd rate the solution at a nine out of ten. Aside from the high cost, it's an excellent solution.

SO
Senior Technical Lead at a comms service provider with 1,001-5,000 employees
Offers disaster recovery, but scales poorly because of the price, the support needs improvement, and it is underdeveloped

• "The most valuable feature is the disaster recovery functionality."
  • "The support for new technologies is limited."

What is our primary use case?

The primary use case of this solution is for DR backups.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is the disaster recovery functionality.

What needs improvement?

The cost aspect is one of the largest reasons we will be moving to Commvaut, along with the product has deteriorated in the last few years, mainly due to underdevelopment.

The support for new technologies is limited. Time to market is always a problem with them. New services, new technologies, and new versions of operating systems come out and we are always suffering for six to twelve months. Overall, they are quite slow to respond to new technologies coming into the market.

Technical support needs to be improved.

I have been using this solution for twenty years.

They had removed a lot of the support on the role-based access without any announcement. Later, they decided to add it back into a different release.

Scalability comes down to prices. It doesn't scale well because of the cost.

The technical support is bad. They have poor response time and they never met any of the SLAs in terms of time to deliver or pick up on calls.

The support engineers are less trained than ours.

It's been changing over the years. I would say that the initial setup is complex, depending on your environment.

It's expensive when comparing to other solutions on the market.

We have decided that this will be the last year that we are using Veritas. We used to like their support, but not these days. We will be migrating to Commvault, primarily because of the cost.

What other advice do I have?

There are plenty of new generation backup solutions on the market that are designed for today, for private or public clouds. I would recommend a hybrid of cloud and on-premises. Look for a solution that can provide a hybrid.

I would rate this solution a four out of ten.

AN
Senior IT Infrastructure Analyst at a energy/utilities company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Easy to use, reasonably priced, and scales well

• "It is very easy to back up and recover files compared to other products."
  • "Technical support is somewhat slow and is in need of improvement."

What is our primary use case?

We are using NetBackup for our file server. It is not being employed by end-users for their backups. Rather, it is being used for infrastructure.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is the ease of use. It is very easy to back up and recover files compared to other products.

What needs improvement?

Technical support is somewhat slow and is in need of improvement.

We have been using Veritas NetBackup for the past ten years.

I can say that NetBackup is 95% stable. There are positives and negatives, with 5% here or there.

From a scalability point of view, it is fantastic. It is even possible to scale up in the newest version of this technology.

The technical support has had a major impact on us. Sometimes, they do not support us properly. Support is available, but it is not immediate.

Our last problem was approximately one year ago. They were slow to respond so I continued to research the problem, found the solution, and implemented it myself.

Since my last contact with them was about a year ago, I don't know if things have improved or not. These days, I am more familiar with the product and don't need any support.

We are also using Veeam, although it is for a different scenario. Veeam is what we are using for virtual server backup, whereas we are using NetBackup for physical servers.

The initial setup is straightforward.

Price-wise, most of the backup products are similarly priced, and NetBackup is the same. There is perhaps a 10% difference in price between solutions.

What other advice do I have?

I received the most recent version one week ago, and it seems that they have covered all of the loopholes. This is a very competitive product because all of the latest features and technology is in there.

Product-wise, this is a good one and I recommend it.

Private Cloud
Bhaskar Venkat Kota
Sr. System Architect at a tech services company with 201-500 employees
Easy to navigate, Heterogeneous platform support, works well for Oracle

• "It supports multiple, heterogeneous platforms."
  • "The deployment time is longer than it is with other products."

What is our primary use case?

We are a solution provider and Veritas NetBackup is one of the backup and recovery solutions that we implement for our customers.

What is most valuable?

This is a product that I recommend for enterprise environments with mixed servers.

It supports Unix, Linux, Solaris, and AIX servers very well. It supports multiple, heterogeneous platforms.

This is a good product for backing up Oracle databases.

The interface is very easy to navigate. I could step away from the product and not use it for two years, then return and find that I can easily navigate all of the features.

What needs improvement?

The deployment time is longer than it is with other products.

I have been using Veritas NetBackup since 1998.

This is a very stable product.

This is a scalable product and it is the one that I recommend for large environments. I like the combination of Veritas and Data Domain.

In my new company, where I am now, I have three or four customers who are using this product.

The technical support from Veritas is good.

I have experience with several backup and recovery solutions, including products by Veritas, Commvault, and Veeam.

Installing Veritas is okay and I find it easy. It can be deployed by one engineer.

Deploying Veritas will take longer than other products, such as Veeam. The length of time it takes depends on how big the environment is, and how many servers there are.

The licensing fees are expensive. It is a capacity-based license that is billed on a yearly basis. I renew it every year.

What other advice do I have?

I know this product well and it is very good. I definitely recommend it for others if they have a very heterogeneous environment. This is not a product for smaller customers. I have other recommendations, such as Backup Exec, which is very cheap and good for SMB-level customers.

MK
Senior DBA Sql Server, Oracle at a aerospace/defense firm with 10,001+ employees
Trouble-free backup and restore, but the pricing and performance should be improved

• "The most valuable feature is the trouble-free operation, as we have not had many problems with it."
  • "The speed of restoring data could be improved."

What is our primary use case?

This is our default backup solution for our data and storage.

What is most valuable?

What needs improvement?

We are not able to back up our attached drives, which is something that should be improved.

The speed of restoring data could be improved.

The pricing is an area that can be improved.

I have been in touch with technical support and I would say that they are okay. I wouldn't rate them "very bad" or "very good" because I haven't been dissatisfied, yet I haven't seen anything impressive either.

The area for improvement that I can see with support is that they have to have better internal coordination. Multiple people or teams work on the same problem and the coordination on their end could be better.

The team who was working on the initial setup was well aware of what they needed to do, so it was straightforward.

We have two people who do the maintenance.

We had third-party assistance with the deployment and we are satisfied with the experience.

I find the cost of this solution to be high. The licensing is done based on the size of the source. If you have a source size of one terabyte then they will charge for a one terabyte license, although what is actually being stored is much less. This is something that they can improve on.

We have been exploring other options that are available in the market. Products like Veeam have similar features, so we will continue our evaluation and consider cost as one of the main factors.

What other advice do I have?

My advice to anybody who is considering Veritas NetBackup is that it's not a bad product and it's good to be prepared. I suggest reviewing the price in advance.

I find it to be not a bad product, but it would be much better with improvements to pricing and performance.

I would rate this solution a six out of ten.

PK
Desktop Support Engineer at a computer software company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Scalable, easy to use, and stable

• "There's a very nice central console for the administration of all of the instances."
  • "The pricing is a bit of a concern. If could be lower."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution for various workloads, including the SQL workload.

What is most valuable?

The solution is very easy to use and easy to navigate.

There's a very nice central console for the administration of all of the instances.

The solution is stable.

We find the product scales well.

Customer support is very quick to respond.

The initial setup is pretty straightforward.

What needs improvement?

The pricing is a bit of a concern. If could be lower.

We find the solution needs better integration capabilities when it comes to mid-range and enterprise-level environments.

I've been using the solution for seven to eight years at this point. It's been a while.

The stability is very good. there are no bugs or glitches and it doesn't crash or freeze. It's reliable and the performance is great.

The scalability is good. If a company needs to expand its usage, it can do so.

We have 3,000 people on the product currently.

Technical support is great. they are fast and very helpful. We are satisfied with their level of service.

The initial setup is pretty straightforward.

The deployment is fats. It took us about three to four hours to do a basic installation with our client.

We have 25 to 30 admins that can handle maintenance and deployment within our organization.

We help out clients install the product.

I personally can handle the implementation myself and don't need a consultant or integrator.

The pricing is high. They need to work to make it lower or more competitive.

Our customers directly purchase the license.

What other advice do I have?

Per the customer requirement, we are providing consultancy services and providing the licenses, as well as implementation services to clients.

We're currently using the latest version of the solution.

I'd rate the solution at a nine out of ten. We're quite satisfied with its capabilities.

I'd recommend the product to other users and companies.

Download our free Veritas NetBackup Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.