PK
Desktop Support Engineer at a computer software company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Scalable, easy to use, and stable

• "There's a very nice central console for the administration of all of the instances."
  • "The pricing is a bit of a concern. If could be lower."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution for various workloads, including the SQL workload.

What is most valuable?

The solution is very easy to use and easy to navigate.

There's a very nice central console for the administration of all of the instances.

The solution is stable.

We find the product scales well.

Customer support is very quick to respond.

The initial setup is pretty straightforward.

What needs improvement?

The pricing is a bit of a concern. If could be lower.

We find the solution needs better integration capabilities when it comes to mid-range and enterprise-level environments.

I've been using the solution for seven to eight years at this point. It's been a while.

The stability is very good. there are no bugs or glitches and it doesn't crash or freeze. It's reliable and the performance is great.

The scalability is good. If a company needs to expand its usage, it can do so.

We have 3,000 people on the product currently.

Technical support is great. they are fast and very helpful. We are satisfied with their level of service.

The initial setup is pretty straightforward.

The deployment is fats. It took us about three to four hours to do a basic installation with our client.

We have 25 to 30 admins that can handle maintenance and deployment within our organization.

We help out clients install the product.

I personally can handle the implementation myself and don't need a consultant or integrator.

The pricing is high. They need to work to make it lower or more competitive.

Our customers directly purchase the license.

What other advice do I have?

Per the customer requirement, we are providing consultancy services and providing the licenses, as well as implementation services to clients.

We're currently using the latest version of the solution.

I'd rate the solution at a nine out of ten. We're quite satisfied with its capabilities.

I'd recommend the product to other users and companies.

KV
Vice President of Information Technology at a insurance company with 10,001+ employees
Efficient deduplication, reasonable price, easy installation, and good stability and scalability

• "Deduplication is quite efficient. It is not a complex product. It is quite simple."
  • "It should be able to integrate with the cloud. If we leverage a cloud in the future for backup, there should be very fast help and more options for customers to choose from."

What is our primary use case?

It is used to back up the hypervisor. In terms of its version, we keep it updated from time to time, but we are not using its latest version currently.

What is most valuable?

Deduplication is quite efficient. It is not a complex product. It is quite simple.

What needs improvement?

It should be able to integrate with the cloud. If we leverage a cloud in the future for backup, there should be very fast help and more options for customers to choose from.

We have been using this solution for many years.

It is quite stable.

It is scalable. We have less than ten users, and they are mostly the IT staff. We don't have many users because we use a tool to back up from the central file servers. Users don't directly use it to back up on their own, but when a user needs to restore something, they come to IT.

We have a local partner for support, and they contact Veritas. Our local partner is quite okay and experienced in the product.

We were using Backup Instant, which is a smaller version of the Veritas NetBackup solution. We didn't use any other solution.

Its installation is quite straightforward. The deployment can take a week if you have a clear backup requirement.

We have a consultant to help. If you are doing an installation that is related to the hypervisor, you need an engineer for support because of the connected drivers and equipment.

Its price is quite reasonable. The cost depends on the depreciation and the volume. It also depends on the infrastructure. If your infrastructure increases, you would need some more licenses.

What other advice do I have?

We plan to keep using this solution. I would rate Veritas NetBackup an eight out of ten.

Learn what your peers think about Veritas NetBackup. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: November 2021.
552,407 professionals have used our research since 2012.
JJ
Solutions Platform Architect at a retailer with 10,001+ employees
Feature-rich, but they need better attack protection

• "It's a good product, it does what we want it to do."
  • "In the next release, I would like to have a better way to protect against ransomware attacks and a better way of logging issues where you don't have to enable the verbose logging to capture the problems."

What is our primary use case?

We use this solution mainly for back up and to restore.

What is most valuable?

It's a good product, it does what we want it to do. It has a 99.8% backup success rate, and it runs 24,000 jobs per day.

We like all of the features.

What needs improvement?

The ransomware protection needs improvement.

The reporting tool that you get out of the box is not sufficient, so you have to purchase other tools or modules.

When it's out of the box, the visibility is a problem and it's not very clear. Overall, the visibility into the environment is lacking.

When you come across an issue to present to technical support, you have to enable the verbose logging, and when that happens you are generating huge amounts of log files. I have to wait for this problem to present itself again. I cannot leave it running on verbose logging, as it takes up the capacity from the logs. However, if I don't enable it then I won't be able to locate the issue.

I have been working with Veritas NetBackup for eight years.

Veritas NetBackup is stable. We have not experienced any issues.

It's a scalable solution.

We have a very strong team and haven't had to log many calls with technical support.

We are happy with the pricing that we have, but it's expensive.

What other advice do I have?

Overall, I think that Veritas is a very good product and I recommend it.

It's an expensive tool but it does its job very well. It has a 99.8 % success rate.

I would rate Veritas NetBackup a seven out of ten.

IH
System Administrator at a manufacturing company with 10,001+ employees
A stable backup solution suitable for virtually anything

• "It's durable — we achieve what we expect from it."
  • "It's not a user-friendly solution. It's a little bit complicated. The UI is not very friendly."

What is our primary use case?

We use Veritas NetBackup as a backup solution for virtually everything. Everything you can imagine can be backed up with this solution.

Within our organization, there are roughly 2,000 employees. We definitely plan to continue using this solution.

What is most valuable?

The virtual SAN is good. All backup products have the same features but it's all about your ability with the code when you are using them. It's durable — we achieve what we expect from it.

What needs improvement?

I have been using this solution for six or seven years.

Veritas is stable and flexible. When you're talking about virtualization backup, Veritas is great in a secure environment. It's totally virtualized. It's a good solution.

This solution is very scalable.

The support isn't that great. It could be improved. They should have a faster response time.

The initial installation is quite straightforward. Overall, installation takes roughly one hour.

I've installed this solution many times by myself. If you don't have experience with backup solutions, I think it may be challenging for a beginner.

Our technical team consists of four people, including myself, that handle the installation process.

I am currently evaluating NetBackup as it's required for use on the cloud.

What other advice do I have?

I trust Veritas. I would recommend this solution to a friend or to any company. But remember, what you'll get from it depends on your personal ability.

Overall, on a scale from one to ten, I would give this solution a rating of eight. If the support was faster and the solution was more user-friendly, I would give it a higher rating.

FP
Senior IT Presales Engineer at Entel Chile
Plenty documentation online, scalable, and stable

What is our primary use case?

Veritas NetBackup is used for backing up data.

What needs improvement?

The solution could improve by having a feature to backup iSeries workloads.

I used Veritas NetBackup within 12 months.

The solution is stable.

What is our primary use case?

Veritas NetBackup is used for backing up data.

What needs improvement?

The solution could improve by having a feature to backup iSeries workloads.

I used Veritas NetBackup within 12 months.

The solution is stable.

You have two agents, one on the server-side and the other on the client side. For the server-side, the product is licensed using Front-End Terabytes. You must buy more Front-End Terabytes licenses for the server to scale, allowing a higher quantity of backup data. On the client side, it is easy to scale, you can add all clients as you wish. Using Windows Server or Linux Server, if you want to back up databases, such as Oracle SQL Server, or if you want to back up applications, such as SAP or Exchange, it can be done.

Veritas NetBackup has a lot of documentation on the web, in the public domain, it is easy. If you like to read a lot of documents, there is a lot of information available. You have the documents, guides, manuals, that are detailed for all kinds of products, for all kinds of clients and agents. When you need to reach technical support, that means your issue is very hard and documentation has no solution.

In my experience, the Veritas NetBackup installation is hard. However, when it is running in operation, it works with no issues or problems. There are some challenges here in Chile and the whole implementation process can take 60 to 75 days.

What other advice do I have?

At the company where I currently work, Veritas NetBackup is our corporate solution an
when my customers ask for a backup solution, my first option is Veritas NetBackup.

I recommend this solution to others.

I rate Veritas NetBackup a ten out of ten.

SB
Systems Architect at a paper AND forest products with 1,001-5,000 employees
Impressive scalability, stable, and has good support

What is our primary use case?

I am an integrator and I provide solutions for our customers. This solution is used for the backup and recovery of our customer's data.

What is most valuable?

We like the use of the tasks. The documentation is good.

What needs improvement?

The implementation process could be simplified to make it quicker.

I was certified with NetBackup in 2008. There was a bit of a break in using backup solutions but I recently started using it again for our customer who is using it. I have approximately two years of experience. We are working with NetBackup 9.1.

Veritas NetBackup is stable. We have not experienced any bugs or glitches with this solution. At this…

What is our primary use case?

I am an integrator and I provide solutions for our customers.

This solution is used for the backup and recovery of our customer's data.

What is most valuable?

We like the use of the tasks.

The documentation is good.

What needs improvement?

The implementation process could be simplified to make it quicker.

We are working with NetBackup 9.1.

At this moment, we are satisfied with it.

The scalability is impressive. Our clients are mostly enterprise businesses.

At this time, we have no plans to increase our usage or move to another solution. We recently implemented this product and we are satisfied with the tasks it performs.

If we have any issues, we contact technical support in Russia. They provide us with a resolution.

We are very satisfied with the technical support.

The initial setup is not complex. We implement from the Veritas site and we use the knowledge base.

It can take several months to implement this solution. We had to prepare the architecture, the guides, and documentation for several data centers. It was not a fast implementation.

Our license is capacity-based.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate Veritas NetBackup a nine out of ten.

Hybrid Cloud

Amazon Web Services (AWS)
SS
System IT and Technologies Field Manager at a wellness & fitness company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Good technical support but the SQL Server backup features are not up-to-date

• "The most valuable feature is its stability."
  • "The SQL Server backup features are not up to date."

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is its stability.

What needs improvement?

Lots of features are in need of improvement.

The SQL Server backup features are not up to date. I would also like to see the Exchange server and Cloud backup handled better.

There are no features for cloud backup in my on-premises environment, which limits me when it comes to managing them.

The performance is poor on our system and it takes too long to complete a backup.

I have been working with Veritas NetBackup for more than ten years.

The stability is very good.

My environment is not growing very quickly, so I haven't had the opportunity to check scalability. My understanding is that it is expensive to scale.

We are typically in contact with technical support two or three times a year to deal with issues that arise. They're brilliant, fast, and professional.

The setup was completed before I joined the company.

My licensing model is based on capacity so as we grow, the price we pay increases and it becomes too expensive.

We are currently looking for another solution. One of the reasons is that we know that we can get more for less money.

What other advice do I have?

This backup and recovery product is good, although looking at my current environment, it is pretty old. My advice for anybody who is considering Veritas NetBackup is to assess the feasibility of it in their environment.

I would rate this solution a six out of ten.

Symantec Business Critical Engineer at a tech services company with 11-50 employees
Simple GUI but managing dependencies should be agentless

• "The main thing I like about NetBackup is CloudPoint. You can take a snapshot of the endpoint and back it up with CloudPoint. The data backups are the most important."
  • "Veritas could simplify the firmware recovery in terms of the deployed. The process shouldn't be dependent on the agents. It should be completely agentless."

What is our primary use case?

We use NetBackup to take a snapshot of our endpoint server.

What is most valuable?

The main thing I like about NetBackup is CloudPoint. You can take a snapshot of the endpoint and back it up with CloudPoint. The data backups are the most important. I also like how Veritas has simplified the GUIs. There are a lot of security features in place already around the connection as well as many intelligent policies and a pure understanding of the cloud policies, so it's direct compared to many others.

What needs improvement?

Veritas could simplify the firmware recovery in terms of the deployed. The process shouldn't be dependent on the agents. It should be completely agentless.

I have been using NetBackup for two years.

NetBackup is stable.

NetBackup is scalable.

NetBackup support isn't great, but it's not the worst, either.

Setting up NetBackup is easy, but the documentation is a bit complex. Veritas used to have consolidated documentation, so it was easy to navigate the documents. The implementation guidelines were contained in a single document, so you didn't need to switch between multiple documents. Configuration should be the clearest documentation.

The price of NetBackup is okay. I think it's a little bit expensive but manageable. It has a lot of features, and the backup is better than most applications, so I think the price is competitive.

What other advice do I have?

I rate NetBackup seven out of 10.

Amazon Web Services (AWS)
Download our free Veritas NetBackup Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.