SJ
Backup & Storage Architect at a pharma/biotech company with 10,001+ employees
Stable with good features, but support needs improvement and they need to include automation

• "The features are good."
  • "It is not very user-friendly."

What is our primary use case?

We are using this solution for data protection.

What is most valuable?

The features are good.

What needs improvement?

It is not very user-friendly.

There are delays in Veritas that can be done in automation.

In the next release, I would like to see automation and better support.

I have been using Veritas NetBackup for more than seven years.

We are using the latest version.

Veritas NetBackup is stable.

It's a scalable solution that is enterprise-level software and is used for the organization. It's not user-based, it's infrastructure-based.

Technical support is not good.

They are not quick, it could be faster. You don't get any support quickly. You have to wait for 30 minutes or one hour. You will get better support if you get business-critical services, which will be provided at an additional cost.

The initial setup is simple, it doesn't take a lot of time. It's less than 30 minutes to set up if you have the cloud.

In terms of cost, it's not very good. I would rate it a five or six out of ten. They want everything to be sales and money.

What other advice do I have?

I would not recommend this solution to others because of the cost, but as an option, I would say yes. Rather than NetBackup, I would go with Veeam or Commvault.

I would rate Veritas NetBackup a six out of ten.

Hybrid Cloud
Mhd Wail
Network Security Specialist at a government with 51-200 employees
Great deduplication feature and the recently implemented ability to connect remotely

• "Great deduplication feature."
  • "The solution is quite expensive."

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case of this solution is to back up everything including VMs, email, our databases, Oracle, SQL. I'm a network security specialist and we are customers of Veritas.

What is most valuable?

The solution has many great features, particularly the feature they provide for deduplication. They have also recently included a new feature on the interface, where you can connect remotely and get any report, rather than having to check the solution through the server. They have different solutions for different things, so if you need to back up, for example, they have a solution for backing up on cloud or on-premise.

What needs improvement?

The cost of the license could be improved, it's quite expensive.

I've been using this solution for 10 years.

The scalability of the product is very good. We have three to four admins dealing with the solution directly, but we do the backup for the whole organization.

We receive very good support through our partner. We've been with them for over 10 years.

The initial setup was very straightforward and quick. We used a consultant for the initial implementation and for minor upgrades or minor changes, our internal team is responsible. If it's something major, our partner deals with it.

What other advice do I have?

The new updates in this solution have really made a difference and added to the value.

I would rate this solution an eight out of 10.

Learn what your peers think about Veritas NetBackup. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: October 2021.
542,721 professionals have used our research since 2012.
AG
Engineer consultant at a legal firm with 51-200 employees
A complete backup solution but very expensive

• "It has a very good user interface."
  • "It is a very expensive solution. They should have a different scheme for selling it. They should also make it easy for us to switch from Solaris to Linux. We are having some trouble in migrating our actual catalog from Solaris to Linux."

What is our primary use case?

We use it for the daily backup.

What is most valuable?

It has a very good user interface.

What needs improvement?

It is a very expensive solution. They should have a different scheme for selling it.

They should also make it easy for us to switch from Solaris to Linux. We are having some trouble in migrating our actual catalog from Solaris to Linux.

I have been using this solution for 13 years.

It has very good stability.

Its scalability is very good so far.

I never used their technical support. It has good documentation and information.

We switched because of the price and support.

The initial setup is easy. Deployment is quick, but some systems can have issues.

I used integrators. They were very good. I have two people for its maintenance.

It is very expensive. The licensing cost for this solution is on a yearly basis. It is approximately 50k. We will continue using it at least for the next year, but we are currently doing an analysis to switch to some other solution.

What other advice do I have?

It is a mature and complete solution for backup. I would rate Veritas NetBackup a seven out of ten.

Jose Ortega
Solution Architect at Sites
Stable and scalable product with new free resiliency feature

• "Veritas released a new feature in version 8 of NetBackup called VRP. It's kind of like replication management from VMware. The great thing about this feature is that Veritas gave it to us for free."
  • "I also think they could improve the reporting. They use a web-based software application OpsCenter for the reporting and I see that they haven't made any changes in years."

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case for NetBackup is to protect all the servers and applications that we have in our company.

What is most valuable?

Veritas released a new feature in version 8 of NetBackup called VRP. It's kind of like replication management from VMware.

The great thing about this feature is that Veritas gave it to us for free.

What needs improvement?

Sometimes we have problems with the support team. They always end up solving and fixing everything, but sometimes they are slow to respond. Maybe they can increase the number of personnel they have for the Spanish language.

I also think they could improve the reporting. They use a web-based software application OpsCenter for the reporting and I see that they haven't made any changes in years.

My company has been using this solution for eight years.

This solution is stable.

Veritas NetBackup is very scalable.

I personally have a lot of experience with this product, but someone without a whole lot of knowledge about it would have to partner up with a vendor. I would say overall deployment is at a medium level of difficulty.

It takes about a week to deploy the solution. This is a backend solution, a master server. Sometimes, it can be difficult to set up the window changes, configure the Oracle database, etc.

Ahmed Sabry
Team Leader at a financial services firm with 10,001+ employees
Simplest on the market, scalable and stable

What is our primary use case?

We are using the solution as a storage unit.

What is most valuable?

I have found it to be the simplest solution on the market. It gives us a complete end to end solution. We are using this solution, Veritas Appliance and another one for access archiving. It is convenient to have all the support from one vendor.

I have been using the solution for more than ten years.

The solution is stable.

In my experience it is scalable. We have five administrators involved in using the solution.

Support for the solution needs improvement. When we contacted…

What is our primary use case?

We are using the solution as a storage unit.

What is most valuable?

I have been using the solution for more than ten years.

The solution is stable.

Support for the solution needs improvement. When we contacted support with issues, we had to be passed on to the higher level of the support team, going from level one through to three. We only managed to get a solution for our issues once we spoke to the level three support team. The lower level support is not familiar with the complexity and did not have any answers. When we frequently dealt with the support they were not able to pass us on directly to level three. This was tiresome having to deal with the lower levels not being qualified for a solution until we managed to get to level three.

What other advice do I have?

I rate Veritas NetBackup an eight out of ten.

AK
Senior Infrastructure Consultant at FORUM INTERNATIONAL
Simplistic user interface, good compatibility, and detailed documentation

What is our primary use case?

We use Veritas NetBackup to backup any system or database.

What is most valuable?

The main features of this solution are deduplication, compression, ease of use, simplistic user interface, and compatibility with all the backup service systems.

I have been using Veritas NetBackup for more than 10 years.

The solution is not that stable because it has to be monitored and administered every day. The stability could be improved.

We have approximately 10 customers using this solution.

We were satisfied with the technical support.

How was the initial

What is our primary use case?

We use Veritas NetBackup to backup any system or database.

What is most valuable?

I have been using Veritas NetBackup for more than 10 years.

We have approximately 10 customers using this solution.

We were satisfied with the technical support.

The installation requires some knowledge, but the procedure is easy and there is a lot of clear detailed documentation you can follow available.

The installation time can vary depending on the size of the environment. On average it can take between five to seven days.

We did the implementation of the solution and we used one engineer.

There is a license required for this solution and it is priced based upon the data used.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this solution.

I rate Veritas NetBackup a nine out of ten.

VM
Head of IS at a financial services firm with 10,001+ employees
An enterprise-level backup and recovery solution with useful cross-platform features

What is our primary use case?

We use Veritas NetBackup for backup and archive protocols.

What is most valuable?

I like the cross-platform features.

What needs improvement?

I think reporting can always be improved. Their pricing can also be improved.

I have been using Veritas NetBackup for about 20 years.

Veritas NetBackup is a stable solution.

Veritas NetBackup is a scalable solution.

Veritas NetBackup technical support is good and responsive.

We run into issues now and again, but essentially the initial setup is pretty straightforward. …

What is our primary use case?

We use Veritas NetBackup for backup and archive protocols.

What is most valuable?

I like the cross-platform features.

What needs improvement?

I think reporting can always be improved. Their pricing can also be improved.

I have been using Veritas NetBackup for about 20 years.

Veritas NetBackup is a stable solution.

Veritas NetBackup is a scalable solution.

Veritas NetBackup technical support is good and responsive.

I think we used a reseller to implement Veritas NetBackup.

We pay on an annual basis. There are some additional costs to the standard licensing fees, but they're all optional. The pricing, of course, can always be better.

What other advice do I have?

For anyone thinking of using Veritas NetBackup, I'll tell them that they'll need a certain level of expertise to run the product successfully.

On a scale from one to ten, I would give Veritas NetBackup an eight.

AA
Engineer at a financial services firm with 201-500 employees
A stable solution for full and incremental backup of databases, but there are compatibility issues and the setup is complex

• "The solution is stable."
  • "We have an issue with the last version on the latest backup of the solution as it is not compatible with Sybase 16.5."

What is our primary use case?

We use the solution for the full and incremental backup of databases such as Sybase.

What needs improvement?

We have an issue with the last version on the latest backup of the solution. It's not compatible with Sybase 16.5.

Two days ago the solution worked fine and we were able to use it for all our Unix and Sybase servers, as well as the back-end database. But, now there is a need for us to change the lag about a report in respect of the media on Facebook.

We primarily use Unix servers, not those of Windows.

I have been using Veritas NetBackup for ten years, since 2010.

The solution is stable.

In the past we worked with Veeam and Avamar, at which point we made a determination of which solution would best serve our projects.

The initial setup was complex.

The price is okay.

What other advice do I have?

I rate Veritas NetBackup as a seven out of ten.

Download our free Veritas NetBackup Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.