LI
Presales Engineer at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
Reseller
A flexible solution that works with both on-premises and cloud-based environments

• "This product is flexible enough to allow for backing up data from physical machines, as well as from your cloud environment."
  • "When the customer is using SaaS applications like Office 365, the integration falls short and needs to be improved."

What is our primary use case?

We are a solution reseller and Veritas Netbackup is one of the products that we provide to our customers. It is used for implementing a backup repository to the cloud.

What is most valuable?

This product is flexible enough to allow for backing up data from physical machines, as well as from your cloud environment.

There is support for a lot of applications.

What needs improvement?

It would be useful if they could maintain the information that is in the cloud.

When the customer is using SaaS applications like Office 365, the integration falls short and needs to be improved.

The price could be reduced.

We have been selling Veritas NetBackup for the past 14 years.

Stability-wise NetBackup is a good solution.

This is a scalable product. NetBackup is for larger organizations.

Not being an end-user, I have not had experience with technical support.

I also have experience with Veritas Backup Exec, which has the same use case. It is also a good product but NetBackup supports more applications and it is more of an enterprise-level solution than Backup Exec. I would say that NetBackup is for larger customers, whereas Backup Exec is for everyone.

I am familiar with the installation and it is simple.

A better price would make this product more competitive.

What other advice do I have?

In summary, this is a good product and I can recommend it.

I would rate this solution a ten out of ten.

Whitney Gray
Storage Architect at a healthcare company with 10,001+ employees
Mature, stable product that's enterprise-capable

• "I like that it's enterprise-capable. It can handle multiple operating systems. It can handle multiple database types. It can handle a lot of different backup use cases. It's flexible."
  • "The database integration could be better."

What is our primary use case?

We use it for pretty much all of our backups.

What is most valuable?

It allows us to back up our data. That's really the only feature we really use. I like that it's enterprise-capable. It can handle multiple operating systems. It can handle multiple database types. It can handle a lot of different backup use cases. It's flexible.

What needs improvement?

The database integration could be better. That would probably be a feature we look for the most.

I have been using Veritas NetBackup for at least 15 years.

NetBackup is very stable. It's a very mature product. It's probably been around for 25 years or more.

NetBackup is very scalable.

The initial setup is pretty straightforward, but it's just very, very detailed. There's a lot of different things you have to do to set it up. It's not difficult. It's just a lot of steps, but that's how it should be because NetBackup is so flexible. You do have to go in and select your different options based on your environment.

I think a complete license costs some $70,0000 a year. I wouldn't know the breakdown of what each feature costs.

We're currently looking at other solutions that could replace it. We have some additional needs that NetBackup can fill, but it may not be the cheapest option, so we're looking at other solutions.

We are looking at Dell and also at maybe build our own solution. If we chose the later route, we would keep what we have with NetBackup but our own addition to it.

Learn what your peers think about Veritas NetBackup. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: November 2021.
553,954 professionals have used our research since 2012.
SJ
Backup & Storage Architect at a pharma/biotech company with 10,001+ employees
Stable with good features, but support needs improvement and they need to include automation

• "The features are good."
  • "It is not very user-friendly."

What is our primary use case?

We are using this solution for data protection.

What is most valuable?

The features are good.

What needs improvement?

It is not very user-friendly.

There are delays in Veritas that can be done in automation.

In the next release, I would like to see automation and better support.

I have been using Veritas NetBackup for more than seven years.

We are using the latest version.

Veritas NetBackup is stable.

It's a scalable solution that is enterprise-level software and is used for the organization. It's not user-based, it's infrastructure-based.

Technical support is not good.

They are not quick, it could be faster. You don't get any support quickly. You have to wait for 30 minutes or one hour. You will get better support if you get business-critical services, which will be provided at an additional cost.

The initial setup is simple, it doesn't take a lot of time. It's less than 30 minutes to set up if you have the cloud.

In terms of cost, it's not very good. I would rate it a five or six out of ten. They want everything to be sales and money.

What other advice do I have?

I would not recommend this solution to others because of the cost, but as an option, I would say yes. Rather than NetBackup, I would go with Veeam or Commvault.

I would rate Veritas NetBackup a six out of ten.

Hybrid Cloud
Mhd Wail
Network Security Specialist at a government with 51-200 employees
Great deduplication feature and the recently implemented ability to connect remotely

• "Great deduplication feature."
  • "The solution is quite expensive."

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case of this solution is to back up everything including VMs, email, our databases, Oracle, SQL. I'm a network security specialist and we are customers of Veritas.

What is most valuable?

The solution has many great features, particularly the feature they provide for deduplication. They have also recently included a new feature on the interface, where you can connect remotely and get any report, rather than having to check the solution through the server. They have different solutions for different things, so if you need to back up, for example, they have a solution for backing up on cloud or on-premise.

What needs improvement?

The cost of the license could be improved, it's quite expensive.

I've been using this solution for 10 years.

The scalability of the product is very good. We have three to four admins dealing with the solution directly, but we do the backup for the whole organization.

We receive very good support through our partner. We've been with them for over 10 years.

The initial setup was very straightforward and quick. We used a consultant for the initial implementation and for minor upgrades or minor changes, our internal team is responsible. If it's something major, our partner deals with it.

What other advice do I have?

The new updates in this solution have really made a difference and added to the value.

I would rate this solution an eight out of 10.

AG
Engineer consultant at a legal firm with 51-200 employees
A complete backup solution but very expensive

• "It has a very good user interface."
  • "It is a very expensive solution. They should have a different scheme for selling it. They should also make it easy for us to switch from Solaris to Linux. We are having some trouble in migrating our actual catalog from Solaris to Linux."

What is our primary use case?

We use it for the daily backup.

What is most valuable?

It has a very good user interface.

What needs improvement?

It is a very expensive solution. They should have a different scheme for selling it.

They should also make it easy for us to switch from Solaris to Linux. We are having some trouble in migrating our actual catalog from Solaris to Linux.

I have been using this solution for 13 years.

It has very good stability.

Its scalability is very good so far.

I never used their technical support. It has good documentation and information.

We switched because of the price and support.

The initial setup is easy. Deployment is quick, but some systems can have issues.

I used integrators. They were very good. I have two people for its maintenance.

It is very expensive. The licensing cost for this solution is on a yearly basis. It is approximately 50k. We will continue using it at least for the next year, but we are currently doing an analysis to switch to some other solution.

What other advice do I have?

It is a mature and complete solution for backup. I would rate Veritas NetBackup a seven out of ten.

Jose Ortega
Solution Architect at Sites
Stable and scalable product with new free resiliency feature

• "Veritas released a new feature in version 8 of NetBackup called VRP. It's kind of like replication management from VMware. The great thing about this feature is that Veritas gave it to us for free."
  • "I also think they could improve the reporting. They use a web-based software application OpsCenter for the reporting and I see that they haven't made any changes in years."

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case for NetBackup is to protect all the servers and applications that we have in our company.

What is most valuable?

Veritas released a new feature in version 8 of NetBackup called VRP. It's kind of like replication management from VMware.

The great thing about this feature is that Veritas gave it to us for free.

What needs improvement?

Sometimes we have problems with the support team. They always end up solving and fixing everything, but sometimes they are slow to respond. Maybe they can increase the number of personnel they have for the Spanish language.

I also think they could improve the reporting. They use a web-based software application OpsCenter for the reporting and I see that they haven't made any changes in years.

My company has been using this solution for eight years.

This solution is stable.

Veritas NetBackup is very scalable.

I personally have a lot of experience with this product, but someone without a whole lot of knowledge about it would have to partner up with a vendor. I would say overall deployment is at a medium level of difficulty.

It takes about a week to deploy the solution. This is a backend solution, a master server. Sometimes, it can be difficult to set up the window changes, configure the Oracle database, etc.

Nicco Putra
Alliance Manager at Berca Hardaya Perkasa
Good platform compatibility and fast backup

• "Best feature is its three-tier backup."
  • "Main area that could be improved is the pricing, to make it more competitive"

What is our primary use case?

My primary use case of this solution is backup for the production server and then for the development. The platform is back up for Linux, Selaris, HP, Apex, IAAS, AIX, and then for the virtualization, VMware, backup to AWS, and the container route.

What is most valuable?

Veritas NetBackup's best feature is its three-tier backup, which makes the process a lot faster. I have also found their duplication feature to be valuable, as it allows duplication in the client side, a media server side, or in OST storage. The product also has a lot of compatibility with platforms.

What needs improvement?

I think the main area that could be improved is the pricing, to make it more competitive. In the next release, I would like to see the ability to back up Office 365 and Google Workspace.

I have been using this solution for around ten years.

This is a stable product.

The product is scalable.

The remote support and their support center are good. The knowledge base provided on their website is also very helpful.

The product is easy to set up in small environments, but it would be more complex in larger ones.

What other advice do I have?

I think Veritas NetBackup is the perfect product for a backup system. I would rate this product as nine out of ten.

Hybrid Cloud
Ahmed Sabry
Team Leader at a financial services firm with 10,001+ employees
Simplest on the market, scalable and stable

What is our primary use case?

We are using the solution as a storage unit.

What is most valuable?

I have found it to be the simplest solution on the market. It gives us a complete end to end solution. We are using this solution, Veritas Appliance and another one for access archiving. It is convenient to have all the support from one vendor.

I have been using the solution for more than ten years.

The solution is stable.

In my experience it is scalable. We have five administrators involved in using the solution.

Support for the solution needs improvement. When we contacted…

What is our primary use case?

We are using the solution as a storage unit.

What is most valuable?

I have been using the solution for more than ten years.

The solution is stable.

Support for the solution needs improvement. When we contacted support with issues, we had to be passed on to the higher level of the support team, going from level one through to three. We only managed to get a solution for our issues once we spoke to the level three support team. The lower level support is not familiar with the complexity and did not have any answers. When we frequently dealt with the support they were not able to pass us on directly to level three. This was tiresome having to deal with the lower levels not being qualified for a solution until we managed to get to level three.

What other advice do I have?

I rate Veritas NetBackup an eight out of ten.

Download our free Veritas NetBackup Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.