Veritas NetBackup Overview

Veritas NetBackup is the #11 ranked solution in our list of best Backup and Recovery Software. It is most often compared to Veritas Backup Exec: Veritas NetBackup vs Veritas Backup Exec

What is Veritas NetBackup?

NetBackup reduces the staggering complexity of enterprise data protection, outpaces the relentless growth of the data center, and increases the agility IT needs to transform from traditional cost center to service-oriented business enabler. Enterprises trust Symantec.

Veritas NetBackup Buyer's Guide

Download the Veritas NetBackup Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: January 2021

Veritas NetBackup Customers

Beta Offshore

Veritas NetBackup Video

Pricing Advice

What users are saying about Veritas NetBackup pricing:
  • "Licensing fees are charged based on the number of CPU cores."

Veritas NetBackup Reviews

reviewer1485276
Service Delivery Director at a tech services company with 1-10 employees
Reseller
Jan 24, 2021
Very stable with good compression but needs a lot of pre-planning before deployment

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use this solution in order to backup virtual machines and our databases as well as the mainstream applications such as Exchange, etc.

• "The solution has been very good over the years at fine-tuning various aspects of the product so that it is continuously made better."
  • "Planning for the implementation takes a lot of time."

What other advice do I have?

We are resellers. We resell both Veritas and Quorum products. In Malaysia, solutions like this are typically installed on-premises. Overall, I would rate the solution at a seven out of ten. Veritas is a very good solution. I'd recommend other organizations to try it, however, to always do proper capacity planning before going with Veritas, as they may not be happy with the price later if they just assume the prices. They should do a thorough assessment before purchasing NetBackup.
reviewer1333929
Customer Solution Architect, IT Outsourcing & Cloud Computing Services at a comms service provider with 10,001+ employees
Jun 29, 2020
Very good VM portal and the CloudCatalyst but needs disaster recovery capabilities

What is our primary use case?

I primarily use the solution to back up my customer's CMs or servers inside all of their data centers.

• "The VM portal and the CloudCatalyst are two of the solution's most valuable features."
  • "It would be helpful, in future releases, if the solution could add WORM (Write Once Read Many) support right within the product."

What other advice do I have?

Since we are a service provider, we have a close relationship with Veritas. We offer services based on their technology and on their product. I'd advise others considering implementing the solution to first evaluate against use cases. Depending on the use cases, the cost can change quite a lot. Overall, I'd recommend the solution, however. It's quite good and very reliable. I'd rate the solution seven out of ten.
Learn what your peers think about Veritas NetBackup. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: January 2021.
457,209 professionals have used our research since 2012.
RoopeshMohabeer
Senior Systems Support Analyst at a financial services firm with 11-50 employees
Sep 7, 2020
All-inclusive with everything under one console

What is our primary use case?

Our use case really depends on what we need at a particular time so we use the solution for online productives and we also do incrementals. We are customers of Veritas and I'm a senior systems support analyst.

• "This is a complete solution, everything is under one console."
  • "Licensing costs are quite high."

What other advice do I have?

As a technical solution, this product is right up there. I would recommend the solution but it would depend on the use cases and the load. Depending on the load, there might be other, more cost-effective solutions. I would rate this solution a nine out of 10.
reviewer1370448
Alliance Solution Architect at a consultancy with 10,001+ employees
Jul 5, 2020
Great security with excellent compression and deduplication

What is our primary use case?

The primary use cases for our clients are for data protection and for backups.

• "The solution offers very good storage efficiency, so there's excellent compression and deduplication within the product that our clients really appreciate."
  • "It would be extremely helpful if the solution offered near-zero recovery time for SQL."

What other advice do I have?

We're Veritas partners, however, we are independent and completely neutral towards our partners. I'm a consultant. I don't use the product. I evaluate the product for clients. The clients are the ones who use the product. I'd advise other organizations to look at both their on-prem and cloud together. It's good to manage everything from one place. I'd rate the solution eight out for ten.
reviewer1387569
Technical Specialist at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
Reseller
Aug 1, 2020
User-friendly, stable, and feature-rich

What is our primary use case?

We are a solution provider and Veritas NetBackup is one of the backup and recovery products that we resell to our clients.

• "NetBackup is very easy for end-users."
  • "The biggest problem with NetBackup is licensing."

What other advice do I have?

Overall, NetBackup is a good product and the only problem is the licensing module. We would really like to have socket-based licensing. I would rate this solution a nine out of ten.
reviewer1295913
Senior Infrastructure Consultant at a insurance company with 10,001+ employees
Jul 10, 2020
User friendly with great features, but very expensive

• "The solution offers a lot of really great features that organizations can utilize and take advantage of."
  • "The only pain point we have with this solution is the cost. It's very expensive. In fact, it's so expensive we are looking for other platforms. We want to move away from it in order to save our organization costs."

What other advice do I have?

We're a NetBackup customer and we have a close partnership with Veritas. We don't provide any services to clients. We just happen to use it. The product itself is great, however, the pricing is very high compared to the competition. Veritas has been quite well known in the market for some time now. They have a lot of features as well. However, at the end of the day, it's always the cost that we have to consider. I'd rate the solution seven out of ten.
reviewer1168686
Manager, Infrastructure & Support at a insurance company with 10,001+ employees
Jul 5, 2020
Friendly graphical user interface has made it easy for us to create policies and to do installs

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case is for our databases, servers and VM. We are resellers of this product and I am the manager of infrastructure and support.

• "Good graphical user interface. It's easy to create policies and to do installs."
  • "Lacks a reporting feature."

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this product because of the ease of use, the simple installation and that the solution is on cloud rather than on-prem. It's important to research options and to do fact finding before getting into it. You need to know that this is the solution you're looking for. Finally, no matter how well your environment is maintained, or well kept, or how well your disaster recovery plans are in place, at some point you will need a backup solution. I would rate this solution an eight out of 10.
Mac Wang
Project Manager at realnux
Jan 25, 2021
Supports multiple environments, easy to use, and stable

What is our primary use case?

We use Veritas to back up our database and our project's data, such as chart layouts, research and data files, to tape library or network-attached storage (NAS).

• "It is easy to use, and you can run it with all kinds of client software environments. It works well with the most popular software, file systems, and operating systems. It is very useful to us."
  • "We want a solution that can be scaled-out because our data is growing very quickly, and we aren't able to back it up quickly. It takes one or two days, which is a problem. It is very slow. We just use one backup server. We want another solution with maybe a backup server cluster to back up more data in one day. We want a solution that can be scaled-out to back up our data quickly and efficiently."

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this solution. We are a system integrator, and we have a lot of users who have been using this solution for ten years. The only problem that we are facing now is of speed. We will continue to use it, but we are also looking for a better solution to back up more quickly. Speed is our main requirement. We might continue to use Veritas if they can provide a parallel solution, a cluster solution, or a cloud solution to back up our data more quickly. Otherwise, we will switch to another vendor. I would rate Veritas NetBackup a nine out of ten.
See 19 more Veritas NetBackup Reviews
Download our free Veritas NetBackup Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.