Veritas NetBackup Overview

Veritas NetBackup is the #8 ranked solution in our list of best Backup and Recovery Software. It is most often compared to Veeam Backup & Replication: Veritas NetBackup vs Veeam Backup & Replication

What is Veritas NetBackup?

NetBackup reduces the staggering complexity of enterprise data protection, outpaces the relentless growth of the data center, and increases the agility IT needs to transform from traditional cost center to service-oriented business enabler. Enterprises trust Symantec.

Veritas NetBackup Buyer's Guide

Download the Veritas NetBackup Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: April 2021

Veritas NetBackup Customers

Beta Offshore

Veritas NetBackup Video

Filter Archived Reviews (More than two years old)

Senior Presales Consultant at OFFTEC International
Cost-effective and has proactive support

What is our primary use case?

We are a partner and a user of Veritas NetBackup. As a company, we are using Veritas for our internal data backup and recovery.

• "We were evaluating other products and getting confused between Commvault and Veritas NetBackup. The one reason that we started with Veritas NetBackup is the pricing of the license. There's no other reason from a technical perspective or even operation or capability of the two software. The main reason we chose Veritas NetBackup was that in our use case it is more cost-effective."
  • "Improvements can be made to the service by providing better and more competitive ratios on data backups. The functionality for backups is there with Veritas, but I would like to see them optimize and enhance this feature more."

What other advice do I have?

My advice is that it is a perfect product. I would rate it an 8 out of 10 overall. I wouldn't give it a ten because it doesn't have the necessary full backup capabilities and because it is missing functionalities like the archiving feature which is not there.
IT Solutions Provider at WIZERTECH INFORMATICS PVT LTD
Easy to install, configure, and use

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case is to backup the databases for our enterprise clients.

• "This is the best solution that I know of."
  • "Endpoint backup capability is needed."

What other advice do I have?

I have not had any issues or problems when using this solution. It has been working perfectly for our primary use case. I would rate this solution eight out of ten.
Learn what your peers think about Veritas NetBackup. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: April 2021.
501,151 professionals have used our research since 2012.
CP
User at General Atomics
One of the valuable features is support of a large number of operating systems and applications

What is our primary use case?

I used the product to back up all of the major servers at my location, including operating systems: UNIX, Linux, and Windows.  There are a little more than 100 individual systems with around 1.2 PB of which at least 250 TB is continuously backed up with this product.

How has it helped my organization?

It has performed as advertised and I have used it for more than 18 years without any major loss of data or problems.

What is most valuable?

The support of a large number of different operating systems and applications.

What needs improvement?

Better ways of backing up larger filesystems with many, millions of small files.
Head, IT Network, Security & Data Center at ARABSAT
Application awareness is very good, but the application needs more flexibility

What is our primary use case?

The application is used for backing up our complete infrastructure including Microsoft Exchange, Oracle EBS, local shared files and folders, and a couple of SQL servers.

How has it helped my organization?

The application is very complex and we failed at integration with most of the applications on Oracle Linux.

What is most valuable?

It has a long backup journey but fortunately, application awareness is very good starting from MS products, database, etc.

What needs improvement?

The application needs more flexibility and reliability should be the top priority of the enhancement.

More than five years.
VY
Chief ingeneer at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employees
It saves time for our backup needs

What is our primary use case?

It saves time for the backup needs of our organization.

What is most valuable?

It is less bulky.

What needs improvement?

The interface should be improved.

Three to five years.

It is fine.

I do not have experience with their tech support.

I have previous experience with Veeam and NetApp Backup.

We looked at Veeam and Veritas NetBackup.
IT Infrastructure Manager at Jonah Energy
The most valuable feature is that it is basically a replica of our SAND data. I think between the licensing issues and the older solution mentality it is not a great solution.

What is our primary use case?

The primary use case is for archiving.

• "The most valuable feature is that it is basically a replica of our SAND data. We archive the SAND data for recovery, if there is an issue on the fence."
  • "I would advise not to use this tool. I think between the licensing issues and the older solution mentality it is not a great solution."

What other advice do I have?

I would advise not to use this tool. I think between the licensing issues and the older solution mentality it is not a great solution. They really have not kept up with the times.
JB
Systems Analyst at a comms service provider with 1,001-5,000 employees
Its most valuable features are flexibility and reliability

What is our primary use case?

It is for backing up servers. It has performed well.

How has it helped my organization?

It is essential. We can't do without it.

What is most valuable?

Its most valuable features are flexibility and reliability.

What needs improvement?

It needs support for Kernel-based Virtual Machines (KVMs). Some of the hardware is out of support.  The product is not able to keep up with other competitors in the market.

Stability is very good.

Scalability is very good.

Their support is pretty good.

I have been involved in upgrades. They have not been…
Storage and Backup Engineer at a tech vendor with 5,001-10,000 employees
Logs are very easy to read, parse, and use for diagnostics

What is our primary use case?

Ease to use Friendly interface Logs are very easy to read, parse, and use for diagnostics.

How has it helped my organization?

Backup for over 10,000 jobs with a failure rate under 0.5%.

What is most valuable?

I am not interested in any features because I have worked with all of the backup solutions that are now available in the market.

What needs improvement?

The restore tool is not friendly to newcomers. It takes some of our storage and backup admin/support a long time to wrestle with it, but then they have enough knowledge to work even with NetBackup competitors.

We have encountered some issues when upgrading to 8.1 due to…
Linux, Backup and Storage Administrator with 10,001+ employees
Improves on data protection and recovery while reducing potentially huge costs

• "Ease of installing, configuring, upgrading, and troubleshooting."
  • "There have been issues with performance and some features."

What other advice do I have?

Go for it! It’s the best available backup software in the market.
EMEA L3 Backup Integration/Build Team Leader / SME at a financial services firm with 10,001+ employees
Helped Improve Our Data Replication Among Critical DCs

• "AIR and duplication, overall management and troubleshooting."
  • "DDBoost."

What other advice do I have?

This is a mature product, one of the market leaders, so if you can afford to purchase and have significant infrastructure to be protected, then go ahead and speak to Veritas.
Support Engineer at a tech services company with 501-1,000 employees
Some of the valuable features are TAR importing and scriptable scheduling

• "DLO: Client for laptops."
  • "Setup implementation."

What other advice do I have?

Always leave room for more options.
Senior IT Infrastructure Engineer at a government with 501-1,000 employees
"Could be used for both of Physical and Virtual Environments."

• "Could be used for both of Physical and Virtual Environments."
  • "The ability to use different disk appliance brands as Pure Disk (not OST), such as EMC Data Domain ."

What other advice do I have?

Backup using Fiber Optical connections. Use Veritas Disk Appliance for deduplication and other valuable benefits.
Service Delivery Manager - Storage & Backup at a pharma/biotech company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Automated the disk-based offsite to the other location as part of the disaster recovery plan.

• "The Replication Director, Auto Image Replication, Accelerator, Oracle Intelligent Policy, synthetic and VADP backups are the most valuable features."
  • "The virtual environment, cloud integration, copy data management features need improvement."

What other advice do I have?

It is an excellent product, i.e., if you are looking for a stable and performance oriented backup infrastructure with improved RPO and RTO.
Systems Engineer at a comms service provider with 501-1,000 employees
Deduplication reduces the backup time. It provides backup of a single copy of data.

• "Deduplication is the most valuable feature as it reduces the backup time and provides backup of a single copy of data"
  • "GUI needs to be more user-friendly."

What other advice do I have?

This product is very robust. Be prepared for the cost.
Lead Engineer at a integrator with 201-500 employees
You can construct a comprehensive backup solution.

• "I can rely on this product if I need a restore."
  • "Netbackup can backup MySQL via Oracle policy, to be honest, this is not completely native support and this method has a few limitations. In fact, you can buy from Veritas (or Zmanda) clients for MySQL or PostgerSQL from Zmanda to backup MySQL or PostgreSQL on Linux."

What other advice do I have?

My recommendation is the same for any product. Decide what options you really need, and then test the required options. If the required options work fine, then implement the solution.
Data Storage Manager at a insurance company with 5,001-10,000 employees
By reducing the backup window the organization has more time to run batches.

How has it helped my organization?

By reducing the backup window the organization has more time to run batches.

What is most valuable?

The client side deduplication reduces the backup window.

What needs improvement?

So far I can only say that the license structure could be looked at to be aligned as either capacity-based or traditional.

We did not encounter any issues with stability.

We did not encounter any issues with scalability.

I would rate the technical support at 10/10.

We did not use a previous solution.

What other advice do I have?

Start on…
Backup Administration Engineer at a financial services firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
Valuable features include SLPs for replication, duplication control, and AIR.

• "Specific features that I could not do without are SLPs for replication and duplication control and AIR which makes DR easy."
  • "It gets a lot of new features, but improvements in basic functionality are often sacrificed for a shiny new bullet point to put on sales presentations."

What other advice do I have?

The top level solutions all have similar features, but find what you do most and choose the product that makes that the most efficient. Remember that in the end, you have to spend your days managing this. You want to make the day-to-day stuff you do as straightforward as possible. Build redundancies into your backups systems and split out backup traffic from the production network.
User
Managed to control all backups centrally across the environment and ensure correct and multiple retention periods were in place.

• "Management interface was simple to use once understood."
  • "Updates were not always consistent."

What other advice do I have?

Very expensive product, learning curve is very high but once understood and working correctly, is a fantastic product.
CIO at a tech services company with 501-1,000 employees
it provides us with integration possibilities for different products, e.g. Informix, Oracle, MySQL, VMware, Linux, Unix, and Windows.

Valuable Features:

It offers everything I need from a backup system. I am completely sure that all my data is backed up.

Improvements to My Organization:

We now have a reliable backup system. Also, it provides us with great integration possibilities for different products, e.g. Informix, Oracle, MySQL, VMware, Linux, Unix, and Windows. It also helps with deduplication and the backing up of flash systems.

Room for Improvement:

Technical support needs to improve, especially with the appliances.

Other Advice:

It's the best and most reliable backup system I've used.
Engineer with 51-200 employees
Powerfull backup solution, both on unix and windows worlds

What is most valuable?

Stability, easy troubleshooting

10 years (discontinuously)

No particular issue when deploying on Unix and windows master servers

Customer Service: 7/10 Technical Support: 7/10

I used alternatively networker, TSM and Netbackup

Straightforward, both on Solaris, Linux, and windows servers. Easy client installation (local or remote)

On the various missions i was able to use netbackup, the solution was installed, I…
Sr. Tech Lead with 5,001-10,000 employees
Netbackup is useful for providing dedicated backup services but troubleshoot feature could be improved.

What is most valuable?

Easily integrated with Claude

How has it helped my organization?

Netbackup is useful for providing dedicated backup services.

What needs improvement?

From a technical point of view, all EMC products have to improve the troubleshoot feature like, log should be in human readable format.

Past 5 to 6 years.

Easy to deploy.

Wrong integration is always the

Not yet.

Customer Service: 4.5/5 Technical Support: 4/5

I used Sympana…
Download our free Veritas NetBackup Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.