Veritas NetBackup OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Veritas NetBackup is the #10 ranked solution in our list of best Backup and Recovery Software. It is most often compared to Veeam Backup & Replication: Veritas NetBackup vs Veeam Backup & Replication

What is Veritas NetBackup?

NetBackup reduces the staggering complexity of enterprise data protection, outpaces the relentless growth of the data center, and increases the agility IT needs to transform from traditional cost center to service-oriented business enabler. Enterprises trust Symantec.

Veritas NetBackup Buyer's Guide

Download the Veritas NetBackup Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: October 2021

Veritas NetBackup Customers

Beta Offshore

Veritas NetBackup Video

Archived Veritas NetBackup Reviews (more than two years old)

Wesam Qashou
Senior Systems Engineer at a consultancy with 10,001+ employees
Good dashboard, reporting, and performance

• "The reporting is very good, with all of the details highlighted and very clear."
  • "This solution would benefit from a more friendly, web-based interface."

What is our primary use case?

We use this solution to back up old books and scriptures. We are working with an old archive that has more than sixty or seventy terabytes, and we put it on tapes.

We are using a tape library as the media, and our deployment is within our private cloud.

How has it helped my organization?

This has helped us manage our company backups. The reporting is very good, with all of the details highlighted and very clear. It has a very good dashboard.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features of this solution are performance and support.

What needs improvement?

This solution would benefit from a more friendly, web-based interface.

I would like to see better integration with more systems and appliances. Better integrity would also be an improvement.

We would like to have a unified solution that includes backup-over-disk, as opposed to only backup-over-tape. Currently, we are using more than one solution.

We have been using this solution for approximately ten years.

This is one of the most stable backup solutions.

The scalability of this solution is very good.

We have more than five thousand employees that are using the PC and connected to the network. However, this solution is limited to one department with more than one hundred employees.

We are satisfied with the technical support for this solution.

Prior to this solution, we had CA Backup.

We are currently using two backup solutions. In addition to Veritas NetBackup, we are using Quest, which in turn uses NetVault. Our plan is to unify our solutions.

The initial setup of this solution was straightforward, with no complexity.

We are very satisfied with the price of this solution.

What other advice do I have?

This is a solution that I recommend.

I would rate this solution a ten out of ten.

Tri Nguyen
Technical Specialist, Data Center and Cloud at HighVail Systems Inc.
Gives us confidence in the recoverability of our data in the event of disaster

What is our primary use case?

We are protecting our company's critical data using NetBackup Virtual Appliance at multiple sites. For DR purposes, we use the NetBackup AIR feature to replicate deduped images between sites.

How has it helped my organization?

With our critical data protected by Veritas NetBackup, we feel confident knowing that we can reliably recover the data in case of incidental data loss or disaster.

What is most valuable?

Veritas NetBackup Automatic Image Replication and CloudCatalyst features allow me to replicate deduped backup images from one site to a remote site, as well as duplicating deduped images to the Cloud (i.e. AWS S3, etc.)

What needs improvement?

This product would be improved with the inclusion of a Sandbox feature like Veeam Sandbox.

For

More than fifteen years.
Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: My company is a Veritas Partner.
Learn what your peers think about Veritas NetBackup. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: October 2021.
542,721 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Thamer Salah
Senior Presales Consultant at OFFTEC International
Cost-effective and has proactive support

• "We were evaluating other products and getting confused between Commvault and Veritas NetBackup. The one reason that we started with Veritas NetBackup is the pricing of the license. There's no other reason from a technical perspective or even operation or capability of the two software. The main reason we chose Veritas NetBackup was that in our use case it is more cost-effective."
  • "Improvements can be made to the service by providing better and more competitive ratios on data backups. The functionality for backups is there with Veritas, but I would like to see them optimize and enhance this feature more."

What is our primary use case?

We are a partner and a user of Veritas NetBackup. As a company, we are using Veritas for our internal data backup and recovery.

What needs improvement?

Improvements can be made to the service by providing better and more competitive ratios on data backups. The functionality for backups is there with Veritas, but I would like to see them optimize and enhance this feature more.

Technical support from the vendor's perspective has been very proactive. They are very active in responding to customer support requests. Their response times have been good and the people are great to deal with when it comes to troubleshooting and solving problems. Veritas knows what they are doing and they have excellent experience in their own product line.

We were previously using Veritas.

We implemented through a vendor. The vendor was very proactive. The response was great. They were knowledgable and experienced; the team got the job done.

Veritas Netbackup offers affordable licensing.

We were evaluating other products and getting confused between Commvault and Veritas NetBackup. The one reason that we started with Veritas NetBackup is the pricing of the license. There's no other reason from a technical perspective or even operation or capability of the two software. The main reason we chose Veritas NetBackup was that in our use case it is more cost-effective.

What other advice do I have?

My advice is that it is a perfect product. I would rate it an 8 out of 10 overall. I wouldn't give it a ten because it doesn't have the necessary full backup capabilities and because it is missing functionalities like the archiving feature which is not there.

Hitesh Chopra
IT Solutions Provider at WIZERTECH INFORMATICS PVT LTD
Easy to install, configure, and use

• "This is the best solution that I know of."
  • "Endpoint backup capability is needed."

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case is to backup the databases for our enterprise clients.

How has it helped my organization?

It is a very good backup solution that we provide to the majority of our clients as a service.

What is most valuable?

It is very easy to perform a backup, and then verify whether it has been properly completed or not.

What needs improvement?

Add endpoint backup capability for a particular appliance. Currently it is server level only.

More than five years.

We use this product daily, and my impression of the stability is very good.

It is scalable. Our clients include fifty to sixty IT managers that are responsible for backing up their company's data. We plan to increase this number as we add new clients.

I have not contacted the product's technical support. We have our own lab set up for testing the product.

I use a second solution, Commvault, in cases where there is no domain. I did not, and still do not use another solution for our primary use case.

The setup, installation, and configuration is not complex. Once the product is configured, it is very easy to use.

For this solution, we handle the system integration for our clients. It takes approximately ten to fifteen days to deploy the backup solution.

I think that the pricing and licensing for this solution is good. It is affordable.

What other advice do I have?

I have not had any issues or problems when using this solution. It has been working perfectly for our primary use case.

I would rate this solution eight out of ten.

CP
User at General Atomics
One of the valuable features is support of a large number of operating systems and applications

What is our primary use case?

I used the product to back up all of the major servers at my location, including operating systems: UNIX, Linux, and Windows.  There are a little more than 100 individual systems with around 1.2 PB of which at least 250 TB is continuously backed up with this product.

How has it helped my organization?

It has performed as advertised and I have used it for more than 18 years without any major loss of data or problems.

What is most valuable?

The support of a large number of different operating systems and applications.

What needs improvement?

Better ways of backing up larger filesystems with many, millions of small files.

How has it helped my organization?

What is most valuable?

The support of a large number of different operating systems and applications.

Abuzaid Saad
Head, IT Network, Security & Data Center at ARABSAT
Application awareness is very good, but the application needs more flexibility

What is our primary use case?

The application is used for backing up our complete infrastructure including Microsoft Exchange, Oracle EBS, local shared files and folders, and a couple of SQL servers.

How has it helped my organization?

The application is very complex and we failed at integration with most of the applications on Oracle Linux.

What is most valuable?

It has a long backup journey but fortunately, application awareness is very good starting from MS products, database, etc.

What needs improvement?

The application needs more flexibility and reliability should be the top priority of the enhancement.

VY
Chief ingeneer at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employees
It saves time for our backup needs

What is our primary use case?

It saves time for the backup needs of our organization.

What is most valuable?

It is less bulky.

What needs improvement?

The interface should be improved.

Three to five years.

It is fine.

I do not have experience with their tech support.

I have previous experience with Veeam and NetApp Backup.

We looked at Veeam and Veritas NetBackup.

What is our primary use case?

It saves time for the backup needs of our organization.

What is most valuable?

It is less bulky.

What needs improvement?

The interface should be improved.

Three to five years.

It is fine.

I do not have experience with their tech support.

I have previous experience with Veeam and NetApp Backup.

We looked at Veeam and Veritas NetBackup.

Reviewer23
IT Infrastructure Manager at Jonah Energy
The most valuable feature is that it is basically a replica of our SAND data. I think between the licensing issues and the older solution mentality it is not a great solution.

• "The most valuable feature is that it is basically a replica of our SAND data. We archive the SAND data for recovery, if there is an issue on the fence."
  • "I would advise not to use this tool. I think between the licensing issues and the older solution mentality it is not a great solution."

What is our primary use case?

The primary use case is for archiving.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is that it is basically a replica of our SAN data. We archive the SAN data for recovery, if there is an issue on the fence.

What needs improvement?

I think that the licensing model needs improvement.

The stability is fine.

As it scales, it becomes expensive.

Our experience with tech support is mostly positive. But, we had some repeat issues and tech support was not entirely responsive to our needs.

The licensing model is cost-prohibitive as you scale out.

No, we did not evaluate any other options. We only tried this solution in our environment.

What other advice do I have?

I would advise not to use this tool. I think between the licensing issues and the older solution mentality it is not a great solution. They really have not kept up with the times.

JB
Systems Analyst at a comms service provider with 1,001-5,000 employees
Its most valuable features are flexibility and reliability

What is our primary use case?

It is for backing up servers. It has performed well.

How has it helped my organization?

It is essential. We can't do without it.

What is most valuable?

Its most valuable features are flexibility and reliability.

What needs improvement?

It needs support for Kernel-based Virtual Machines (KVMs). Some of the hardware is out of support.  The product is not able to keep up with other competitors in the market.

Stability is very good.

Scalability is very good.

Their support is pretty good.

I have been involved in upgrades. They have not been…

What is our primary use case?

It is for backing up servers. It has performed well.

How has it helped my organization?

It is essential. We can't do without it.

What is most valuable?

Its most valuable features are flexibility and reliability.

What needs improvement?

• It needs support for Kernel-based Virtual Machines (KVMs).
  • Some of the hardware is out of support.
  • The product is not able to keep up with other competitors in the market.

Stability is very good.

Scalability is very good.

Their support is pretty good.

I have been involved in upgrades. They have not been straightforward. Some of them have required us to make changes to our architecture and production environment.

We are currently evaluating EMC Avamar and NetWorker.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend the product. It is a good product.

Most important criteria when selecting a vendor: The product does what it says it does and it supports all our needs.

Vuong Doan
Storage and Backup Engineer at a tech vendor with 5,001-10,000 employees
Logs are very easy to read, parse, and use for diagnostics

What is our primary use case?

Ease to use Friendly interface Logs are very easy to read, parse, and use for diagnostics.

How has it helped my organization?

Backup for over 10,000 jobs with a failure rate under 0.5%.

What is most valuable?

I am not interested in any features because I have worked with all of the backup solutions that are now available in the market.

What needs improvement?

The restore tool is not friendly to newcomers. It takes some of our storage and backup admin/support a long time to wrestle with it, but then they have enough knowledge to work even with NetBackup competitors.

We have encountered some issues when upgrading to 8.1 due to…

What is our primary use case?

• Ease to use
  • Friendly interface
  • Logs are very easy to read, parse, and use for diagnostics.

How has it helped my organization?

Backup for over 10,000 jobs with a failure rate under 0.5%.

What needs improvement?

We have encountered some issues when upgrading to 8.1 due to data which could not transfer in plain (non-encrypted over network). However, it has now been resolved.

Fully scalable.

Almost all issues can be resolved by experience admins, even though some really difficult problems have to be raise with vendors.

it_user722226
Linux, Backup and Storage Administrator with 10,001+ employees
Improves on data protection and recovery while reducing potentially huge costs

• "Ease of installing, configuring, upgrading, and troubleshooting."
  • "There have been issues with performance and some features."

How has it helped my organization?

I’ve seen organisations using NetBackup efficiently improving on data protection and recovery while reducing potentially huge costs due to the features I’ve mentioned above.

What is most valuable?

• Backup compatibility with most of the existing, legacy, and emerging softwares, filesystems, databases, and technologies.
  • User-friendliness.
  • Ease of installing, configuring, upgrading, and troubleshooting.
  • Support services.
  • Features like deduplication, FlashBackup, GRT, BMR, snapshot backups for virtual machines, cloud backup integration, duplication, and AIR (Auto Image Replication) feature.

What needs improvement?

Veritas is already consistently and proactively developing the backup software to make it more compatible and efficient with the latest and emerging technologies. I feel they should stick to this development and increase the pace of this development a bit more to cope up with the current need of data protection market.

There have been issues with performance and some features. However, the support is proactive and they resolve them in a timely fashion to the best of our knowledge.

Nothing so far.

10 out of 10.

We used TSM earlier. We switched to NetBackup primarily for its valuable features (as mentioned above).

Easy in terms of setting up the three tier NetBackup domain. Challenges were encountered though while setting up other aspects like network, resiliency, firewalls, etc.

I can’t comment much as there’s not much visibility on this aspect. However, I’d advise mostly to go for a capacity based license for mid to large scale organisations.

What other advice do I have?

Go for it! It’s the best available backup software in the market.

it_user720495
EMEA L3 Backup Integration/Build Team Leader / SME at a financial services firm with 10,001+ employees
Helped Improve Our Data Replication Among Critical DCs

• "AIR and duplication, overall management and troubleshooting."
  • "DDBoost."

How has it helped my organization?

Data replication among critical DCs across regions.

What is most valuable?

AIR and duplication, overall management and troubleshooting.

What needs improvement?

DDBoost.

Not since version 7 and higher.

The number of media servers is restricted and this should be pointed out by the vendor.

Quite good. Seven out of 10.

We switched due to better scalability and overall app management.

It's pretty straightforward for a simple configuration but much more complex for a large environment, with many features and tuning required.

Acceptable if you need to implement it for larger environments, e.g. over 1000 clients. For smaller setups it might be too expensive.

IBM TSM, EMC NetWorker.

What other advice do I have?

This is a mature product, one of the market leaders, so if you can afford to purchase and have significant infrastructure to be protected, then go ahead and speak to Veritas.

Support Engineer at a tech services company with 501-1,000 employees
Some of the valuable features are TAR importing and scriptable scheduling

• "DLO: Client for laptops."
  • "Setup implementation."

How has it helped my organization?

We are an SMB, but for our client, it is a life saver.

What is most valuable?

• TAR importing
  • Scriptable scheduling
  • Central catalog
  • Local and remote backup
  • DLO: Client for laptops

What needs improvement?

• Integration
  • Setup implementation

There were no issues with stability.

There were no issues with scalability yet. However, our largest customer barely has 100 NBU clients.

On Veritas, the response time is good.

Our customers have used a very wide variety of options. However, almost all of them switched due to better handling time, straight line backup, recover windows, integration with BD, and better archiving options.

The initial setup varies from customer to customer. Most setups are straightforward, but they tend to be complex over time, due to adding DR sites, alternative media, and tuning backup times.

Personally, I'd tell them to make an inventory of what they want to backup, how often, and the size of backup and recovery windows. After that, we talk about how their requirements weigh in on the pricing/licensing. After that, then the real thing starts.

We evaluated several solutions, including free/open source options and we ran some trials.

What other advice do I have?

Always leave room for more options.

Reda Hassan
Senior IT Infrastructure Engineer at a government with 501-1,000 employees
"Could be used for both of Physical and Virtual Environments."

• "Could be used for both of Physical and Virtual Environments."
  • "The ability to use different disk appliance brands as Pure Disk (not OST), such as EMC Data Domain ."

How has it helped my organization?

Restores individual emails simply for users when requested.
Catalog is user-friendly, and finds all important information about any media needed for a restore request.

What is most valuable?

• Wide systems could be backup/restored; multiple databases, Granular restore capabilities for individual MS-Exchange Emails and normal folders/files
  • NDMP backup capability for NAS storage
  • Virtual environment backup/restore capabilities
  • OST backup capabilities
  • Could be used for both of Physical and Virtual Environments.

No, it is so stable.

No, it scales efficiently.

8 out of 10.

EMC Networker (Legato).

Setup of FC (Fiber) backup is complex.

It is suitable for an enterprise solution.

IBM Tivoli, EMC Data Networker (Legato).

What other advice do I have?

Backup using Fiber Optical connections.
Use Veritas Disk Appliance for deduplication and other valuable benefits.

Service Delivery Manager - Storage & Backup at a pharma/biotech company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Automated the disk-based offsite to the other location as part of the disaster recovery plan.

• "The Replication Director, Auto Image Replication, Accelerator, Oracle Intelligent Policy, synthetic and VADP backups are the most valuable features."
  • "The virtual environment, cloud integration, copy data management features need improvement."

How has it helped my organization?

It helped us to:

• Improve the backup success and recovery rate.
  • Reduce the window to backup.
  • Automate database backups.
  • Automate the disk-based offsite to the other location as part of the disaster recovery plan.

What needs improvement?

There were no stability issues.

There were no scalability issues.

Technical support is excellent.

Initially, we were using IBM TSM and Legato Networker (now EMC NetWorker). However, due to the support and legacy of the product features, we switched over to this solution.

The setup was straightforward, it is easy to configure and user-friendly to administer.

Pricing is pretty costly as compared to the other products but worth investing for the long term and high ROI.

We looked at HPE Data Protector and Commvault.

What other advice do I have?

It is an excellent product, i.e., if you are looking for a stable and performance oriented backup infrastructure with improved RPO and RTO.

it_user135855
Systems Engineer at a comms service provider with 501-1,000 employees
Deduplication reduces the backup time. It provides backup of a single copy of data.

• "Deduplication is the most valuable feature as it reduces the backup time and provides backup of a single copy of data"
  • "GUI needs to be more user-friendly."

How has it helped my organization?

It enabled Telecom Fiji Ltd to backup the Unix-based OS. Backup Exec 12.0 was only able to backup the Windows platform.

What is most valuable?

Deduplication is the most valuable feature as it reduces the backup time and provides backup of a single copy of data as opposed to multiple versions of the same file.

What needs improvement?

GUI needs to be more user-friendly.

The product has been stable from day one. The only issue was on Telecom Fiji Ltd's side, i.e., when the tapes are not rotated per cycle and the data is not transferred to it for clearing the storage pool. This caused the pool to fill up and affect the backup jobs.

We did encounter some stability issues. We could not read the LT04 media on the LT05 drives. The majority of our old data was on LT04 and we could not transfer/read it. There should be interoperability on these drives.

Technical support is excellent.

Previously, we were using the Veritas Backup Exec 12.0. We changed to this solution because we needed a backup solution that could back-up the Unix-based OS.

The setup was complex, considering that we have never worked on an Unix-based OS before.

The software and license are very expensive.

We looked at CommVault and Veeam.

What other advice do I have?

This product is very robust. Be prepared for the cost.

Nikolay Gorbunov
Lead Engineer at a integrator with 201-500 employees
You can construct a comprehensive backup solution.

• "I can rely on this product if I need a restore."
  • "Netbackup can backup MySQL via Oracle policy, to be honest, this is not completely native support and this method has a few limitations. In fact, you can buy from Veritas (or Zmanda) clients for MySQL or PostgerSQL from Zmanda to backup MySQL or PostgreSQL on Linux."

How has it helped my organization?

Six months ago, I recovered several dozen TBs of production data after our storage failed. I recovered Enterprise Vault, Exchange, Oracle, and SQL DBs and VMs. We did not lose any production data and immediately after recovery, the business ran smoothly.

What is most valuable?

You can construct a comprehensive robust backup solution based on NetBackup. Management of such a solution will not be an ultimate challenge. I can rely on this product if I need a restore.

What needs improvement?

The last releases introduced a simplified backup of MS SQL and Oracle. I'd like to have a more user-friendly interface for recovering MS SQL. It would be nice to have native support for MySQL and PostgreSQL. Veritas should increase the number of supported storage options.

To be more specific, NetBackup has the user interface and if you need to restore DB instead of failed one - it's OK. But if you need to restore DB to different location or another server you need: find required backup copy via the user interface, create *.bch file with restore parameters, edit this file to adopt it for the new DB destination, open this file in the user interface. For beginners, these steps are not something obvious.

Netbackup can backup MySQL via Oracle policy, to be honest, this is not completely native support and this method has a few limitations. In fact, you can buy from Veritas (or Zmanda) clients for MySQL or PostgerSQL from Zmanda to backup MySQL or PostgreSQL on Linux. But sometimes this is not convenient.

Currently, as far as I know, for Replication Director has support snapshots and replication only for Netapp storage (ONTAP) and support of snapshots for EMC VNX and EMC Celerra. Despite the fact that for my environment this functionality was enough, I think that Veritas should develop Replication Director and add more storage devices. I believe that now, as data grows really fast, backup software should not only copy data in a classic way, but should be able to manage snapshots and replication between storage devices. In fact, this applies to any enterprise backup software.

Any large products have their issues. I cannot say that the stability issues were unacceptable in comparison with TSM, Commvault, or Veeam, for example.

I would give technical support a rating of 8/10. They are good.

In the organization where I was previously, NetBackup replaced Backup Exec because Backup Exec did not have enough flexibility/scalability for the current environment.

I've implemented several NetBackup installations and all of them run smoothly. However, if you are going to implement it for the first time, I really recommend you run some tests before doing so.

If you have a complex environment with dozens of different servers and apps, I recommend you look for TB licensing. We decided to convert our per server licenses to simplify the license management.

We did not evaluate other options.

What other advice do I have?

My recommendation is the same for any product. Decide what options you really need, and then test the required options. If the required options work fine, then implement the solution.

Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: I recently changed my employer. My previous employer was Veritas customer. My current employer is a Gold Veritas partner.
Jayson Martin
Data Storage Manager at a insurance company with 5,001-10,000 employees
By reducing the backup window the organization has more time to run batches.

How has it helped my organization?

By reducing the backup window the organization has more time to run batches.

What is most valuable?

The client side deduplication reduces the backup window.

What needs improvement?

So far I can only say that the license structure could be looked at to be aligned as either capacity-based or traditional.

We did not encounter any issues with stability.

We did not encounter any issues with scalability.

I would rate the technical support at 10/10.

We did not use a previous solution.

What other advice do I have?

Start on…

How has it helped my organization?

By reducing the backup window the organization has more time to run batches.

What is most valuable?

The client side deduplication reduces the backup window.

What needs improvement?

We did not encounter any issues with stability.

We did not encounter any issues with scalability.

I would rate the technical support at 10/10.

We did not use a previous solution.

What other advice do I have?

Start on a capacity model. You can't go wrong as it covers all the requirements for backup.

Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: I was a Veritas partner but now I am just a customer.
Backup Administration Engineer at a financial services firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
Valuable features include SLPs for replication, duplication control, and AIR.

• "Specific features that I could not do without are SLPs for replication and duplication control and AIR which makes DR easy."
  • "It gets a lot of new features, but improvements in basic functionality are often sacrificed for a shiny new bullet point to put on sales presentations."

How has it helped my organization?

Our only other frame of reference is switching from BE to NBU. We got more advanced control of backups and restores by switching to a full-fledged enterprise solution.

What is most valuable?

Its most valuable feature is probably the variety of features it has. You have the ability to perform a lot of actions with a single software solution. Specific features that I could not do without are SLPs for replication and duplication control and AIR which makes DR easy.

What needs improvement?

The code base in general could use an overhaul. The base of the product is very old. It gets a lot of new features, but improvements in basic functionality are often sacrificed for a shiny new bullet point to put on sales presentations. It is one of the best solutions available, but it certainly has its shortcomings.

The product itself is very stable. Most issues with stability come from running too many parallel operations and the hardware itself can’t handle it.

Price is a major issue with scalability. In big environments with lots of servers, this product is quite expensive. When a single backup environment gets large, the backup catalog gets large and then your catalog backups for DR production begin to take a very long time. The database performance begins to suffer. I find a 500-700GB catalog will give the highest performance, but I wouldn’t want to get much larger than 2TB.

Technical support runs the gamut depending on where your call lands. US based support out of MN or FL is generally the best I can find for frontline people. India is about what you would expect. They push off a lot of work and assign busy work when they don’t know the answers. US backline engineers are some of the best technical people in the business.

I previously used Backup Exec, NetBackup's little brother. We switched as our environment grew large enough to justify a more robust backup solution.

The initial setup was very easy. It has a lot of "next, next, next," and basic functions that just work. Setting up advanced features can be complex, but the documentation is readily available. If you read and follow the steps in the documentation, you will be fine.

Smaller virtualized environments will want to stick to a traditional licensing model if possible. It will likely be cheaper, but it is a pain to manage all the individual licenses for each client. Once you get to a thousand or so servers to backup, the capacity model starts to make more sense. Again, it is not what you would call cheap.

We did not evaluate other solutions before this product, but while this product was in a smaller environment, we evaluated EMC solutions, Rubrik, TSM, and HPE Data Protector. The solutions that offered robust feature sets like NBU were more expensive or more complex. They either lack features or they are too new, such as Rubrik. Some are very expensive for the same feature set with EMC's solutions.

What other advice do I have?

The top level solutions all have similar features, but find what you do most and choose the product that makes that the most efficient. Remember that in the end, you have to spend your days managing this. You want to make the day-to-day stuff you do as straightforward as possible. Build redundancies into your backups systems and split out backup traffic from the production network.

it_user197349
User
Managed to control all backups centrally across the environment and ensure correct and multiple retention periods were in place.

• "Management interface was simple to use once understood."
  • "Updates were not always consistent."

How has it helped my organization?

Managed to control all backups centrally across the environment and ensure correct and multiple retention periods were in place based on the business requirement.

What is most valuable?

Management interface was simple to use once understood.

What needs improvement?

Updates were not always consistent.

Early releases did seem to cause issues. Once a stable version was found then we generally stayed with it for an extended period, as it just worked.

Very scalable. Started with 20 machines, within two years, scaled to over 250 and management was just as easy.

Good. Logging of tickets was very difficult and complicated but once logged, very helpful.

Very good. All issues were resolved in a timely manner.

Yes, switch was prompted by IT Manager; due diligence report from external company concluded existing product was not suitable for needs.

Complex, as was unsure how the product worked at the beginning. But after several months of using, became very simple to use as everything is within the single agent install and understood what was required.

Initial implementation was via a vendor team. Upgrades were in-house, as had relevant experience.

Vendor did seem to know what they were doing on implementation but usage of the product seemed limited.

Licensing was very expensive and did not scale well if needed to move between license models. But you get for what you pay for.

What other advice do I have?

Very expensive product, learning curve is very high but once understood and working correctly, is a fantastic product.

it_user334560
CIO at a tech services company with 501-1,000 employees
it provides us with integration possibilities for different products, e.g. Informix, Oracle, MySQL, VMware, Linux, Unix, and Windows.

Valuable Features:

It offers everything I need from a backup system. I am completely sure that all my data is backed up.

Improvements to My Organization:

We now have a reliable backup system. Also, it provides us with great integration possibilities for different products, e.g. Informix, Oracle, MySQL, VMware, Linux, Unix, and Windows. It also helps with deduplication and the backing up of flash systems.

Room for Improvement:

Technical support needs to improve, especially with the appliances.

Other Advice:

It's the best and most reliable backup system I've used.

Valuable Features:

Improvements to My Organization:

Room for Improvement:

Technical support needs to improve, especially with the appliances.

Other Advice:

It's the best and most reliable backup system I've used.

Engineer with 51-200 employees
Powerfull backup solution, both on unix and windows worlds

What is most valuable?

Stability, easy troubleshooting

10 years (discontinuously)

No particular issue when deploying on Unix and windows master servers

Customer Service: 7/10 Technical Support: 7/10

I used alternatively networker, TSM and Netbackup

Straightforward, both on Solaris, Linux, and windows servers. Easy client installation (local or remote)

What is most valuable?

Stability, easy troubleshooting

10 years (discontinuously)

No particular issue when deploying on Unix and windows master servers

7/10

7/10

I used alternatively networker, TSM and Netbackup

On the various missions i was able to use netbackup, the solution was installed, I participated to different upgrades and migrations.

it_user159876
Sr. Tech Lead with 5,001-10,000 employees
Netbackup is useful for providing dedicated backup services but troubleshoot feature could be improved.

What is most valuable?

Easily integrated with Claude

How has it helped my organization?

Netbackup is useful for providing dedicated backup services.

What needs improvement?

From a technical point of view, all EMC products have to improve the troubleshoot feature like, log should be in human readable format.

Past 5 to 6 years.

Easy to deploy.

Wrong integration is always the

Not yet.

Customer Service: 4.5/5 Technical Support: 4/5

I used Sympana…

What is most valuable?

Easily integrated with Claude

How has it helped my organization?

Netbackup is useful for providing dedicated backup services.

Past 5 to 6 years.

Easy to deploy.

Wrong integration is always the

Not yet.

4.5/5

4/5

I used Sympana commvault and CA arc serve. Both the products are good for small organisations but not up to the mark for enterprise level.

Through vendor team; try to just know how to fix the hardware and plug the networker cable. Rest of the things we had to do remotely.

For enterprise level backup solution – No.

Download our free Veritas NetBackup Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.