Verizon EdgeCast OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Verizon EdgeCast is the #7 ranked solution in our list of top CDN tools. It is most often compared to Akamai: Verizon EdgeCast vs Akamai

What is Verizon EdgeCast?
EdgeCast is the world's fastest and most reliable content delivery network. EdgeCast helps companies dramatically accelerate delivery of static and dynamic web content, significantly improving the end user experience regardless of location.

Verizon EdgeCast is also known as EdgeCast.

Download the CDN Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: October 2021

Verizon EdgeCast Customers
Janet
Verizon EdgeCast Video

Pricing Advice

What users are saying about Verizon EdgeCast pricing:
  • "Be careful about the options because to have all the features can be very expensive."
  • "When I modeled it out, we are spending somewhere between $600 to $800 a month with Verizon EdgeCast."

Verizon EdgeCast Reviews

Etienne WEHRLE
CDN & Cybersecurity Engineer - Web performance & security at CDN Tech / Ecritel
Good rules engine, efficient and performs well, and provides a staging environment for testing

• "The Rules Engine V4 is the most valuable feature."
  • "The web interface of the Verizon Edgecast portal is very old. It's not user-friendly, slow, and it is missing some valuable features like the ability to make bulk changes."

What is our primary use case?

I manage CDN configurations for my customers.

We use this solution to ensure availability and performance for all of the websites we manage.

We are able to accelerate websites all around the world while they are hosted in a single location.

We are a partner of Verizon Edgecast and we resell Verizon Edgecast CDN to our customers. We plan the right configuration for their needs after we learn about their business, and we advise them of which features would be good for them to use. Following this, we do the complete CDN configuration, new releases, maintenance, etc.

How has it helped my organization?

Two years ago, Verizon Egdecast CDN introduced the last version of their Rules Engine (V4). It's a very powerful tool and it's a significant improvement from the previous system.

It allows you to write a complete ruleset in the XML language. You can export an entire caching ruleset, modify it using the tool you want, and after that, you can import the new ruleset into the system. It helps a lot for deploying many configurations quickly, and to adapt existing configurations from one customer to another with the same need.

The performance and stability of the Verizon Edgecast network are very appreciable for us because our customers don't experience issues frequently. For us as a partner, it's important.

What is most valuable?

The Rules Engine V4 is the most valuable feature. It's the system to write all of the rules that control the behavior of the website. You control the CDN caching configuration, but also rewrites, redirects, and all kinds of request transformations from the client to the origin server, as well as response transformation when the answer is sent from the origin server to the client.

The system allows you to deploy your ruleset in a "Staging" environment, so that you can test the behavior of the rules, using your real web resources. Essentially, you test your own website but without impacting production. Once your tests are done and OK, you can deploy the same ruleset in production.

What needs improvement?

The web interface of the Verizon Edgecast portal is very old. It's not user-friendly, slow, and it is missing some valuable features like the ability to make bulk changes. I really hope they are developing a new portal web interface.

A lot of reports are available but not always adapted to your needs.

Another thing is the number of options; a lot of features are available but most of them require users to subscribe to an option. So, it's powerful because you can address all kinds of needs, but it can be very expensive because of the options.

The deployment time of the rules is too long compared to other CDN providers. You need 45 minutes to have a new ruleset live-deployed in production, whereas it takes less than one minute for some other CDN providers. This is something that really needs to be improved.

We have been using Verizon EdgeCast for more than four years.

This product is very stable. In the last four years, we haven't experienced a lot of issues coming from Verizon CDN. There are less than 10 incident impacting us for more than 1,000 websites managed. We can observe fast and stable response times through our monitoring systems, with no degradation during the time, so for me, once correctly setup it's a very stable solution.

It's a cloud solution and it becomes bigger every day to absorb the increasing load, so scalability is not a problem for us.

The support is sometimes not very quick to answer, but generally, the answers are accurate. For me, the support is good.

We did not use another solution prior to this one.

The initial setup is complex, so you need to practice a lot to be able to do exactly what you want.

We are a partner of Verizon Edgecast CDN, so we install and deploy configurations for our customers.

Be careful about the options because to have all the features can be very expensive. Also, pay attention to the SSL cost because each SSL certificate deployed is billed individually.

We did not evaluate other options.

What other advice do I have?

I recommend this solution because, for me, it's one of the most efficient and performant CDN operators. The web interface is old but the delivered service is very good.

Private Cloud
Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: Verizon Edgecast partner
SW
Vice President Of Technology/CIO at a consultancy with 51-200 employees
Easy to use, integrates with and loads your websites in seconds, and the support is good

• "It's super easy to use and integrate with."
  • "In the next release, I would like to see more global endpoints for their CDN and a lower price."

What is our primary use case?

Our web servers are leveraging it. We park our assets with Verizon EdgeCast, but the actual dynamic feature is on our site. People are still calling back to our sites, but our assets are cashed with the CDN.

How has it helped my organization?

Without EdgeCast, our website was taking 10 to 15 seconds to load. With EdgeCast, it loads under five seconds. It's a good product.

What is most valuable?

Verizon does a good job of cashing our assets and it integrates with our current web offering.

It's super easy to use and integrate with.

What needs improvement?

Verizon EdgeCast is great in the US and they have good coverage. Globally they do have endpoints, but compared to CloudFront with AWA or Cloudflare, they have less of a reach.

The comparable features that we are looking at fits into Cloudflare's free version, as opposed to Verizon EdgeCast, which we are paying for.

In the next release, I would like to see more global endpoints for their CDN and a lower price.

We have been using Verizon EdgeCast for approximately ten years.

The stability is rock solid and we have not had any problems with it.

This solution is scalable. I would rate it an eight out of ten. In the US it's great in the network, but globally not as much. Overall, it's okay.

The entire company uses this solution. We have 100,000 users who pass through monthly, so we use it pretty heavily.

Technical support is great. The customer service is awesome.

EdgeCast is really easy to setup.

The most complex is CloudFront from AWS. Cloudflare is easy, as is EdgeCast.

The pricing needs to be reduced because it's expensive.

Cloudflare is super cheap; it's $300 a month for a website if you want all of its features.

AWS Cloudfront is paid per request.

When I modeled it out, we are spending somewhere between $600 to $800 a month with Verizon EdgeCast. If we go with AWS and have them do the exact same thing with Cloudfront, were looking at $30, and Cloudflare is free.

What other advice do I have?

It's a phenomenal product, but it comes down to price. Cloudflare is substantially cheaper, which is one of the reasons that people chose it.

I would rate this solution an eight out of ten.

Private Cloud