Versa FlexVNF Overview

Versa FlexVNF is the #5 ranked solution in our list of SD-WAN tools. It is most often compared to Cisco SD-WAN: Versa FlexVNF vs Cisco SD-WAN

What is Versa FlexVNF?

Versa FlexVNF is a multi-service, multi-tenant software platform built from ground up on cloud principles to deliver scale, segmentation, programmability and automation. It provides both networking and security functions in a single software along with service chaining capabilities.

Versa FlexVNF is also known as FlexVNF.

Versa FlexVNF Buyer's Guide

Download the Versa FlexVNF Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: May 2021

Versa FlexVNF Customers

CenturyLink, RCN Business, Colt Technology Services

Pricing Advice

What users are saying about Versa FlexVNF pricing:
  • "The price is expensive but it makes sense for the market."
  • "It is not very expensive because of the white box support. Its hardware is much cheaper than other products. With the support for x86 and white box, it is one of the most cost-effective platforms that are currently available."

MM
Core Network Manager at a comms service provider with 11-50 employees
Excellent integration capabilities, good UI and offers great security features

What is our primary use case?

We mostly implement this product for our clients.

• "Overall, it's nice and very user friendly. That's what makes it so successful. They give you complicated features but with a very simple user interface, and that's been a big success for them."
  • "The support needs to be improved."

What other advice do I have?

We have a lifetime implementation. We're using the latest version of the solution. It's a good product for high-end and large enterprises, but smaller enterprises might not be a good fit. I'd just advise that especially surrounding the initial setup, a new company needs to ensure they have the right support in place. Companies need to make sure their SLA's are very clear so they can get the support they need from the outset and into the future. Compare companies and be clear about the requirements and you will have an easier time. I'd rate the solution eight out of ten. I'd give it full marks…
AB
Presales Solutions Consultant/Engineer at a comms service provider with 51-200 employees
Very user-friendly and nimble software platform solution

What is our primary use case?

We are using this product and also implementing it for our clients. We manage everything for the customer. We use it here on our platform and also manage the solution for our customers for whom we install it. Let's say a customer is on premises and he wants to move to the internet but wants to keep the interconnection between their sites. He doesn't want to remain embedded. We would propose Versa in this case. Also, if a client asks us for more reporting, more analytics and more monitoring and our embedded solution can't do this as a single solution because it would be very heavy and… more »

• "Their dashboard is also a good point for us and the customer. The solution is very clean and easy."
  • "Another thing that should be improved in Versa are their firewall features."

What other advice do I have?

We always propose only Versa solutions in our quotes for our customers when we have a new project. I only recommend Versa. VeloCloud was the first one to market and for customers that is very important. Customers ask me for a comparison between VeloCloud and Versa since VeloCloud was the first one on the market and he wants to be sure that if he goes with Versa it will not be a mistake. For me it's not enough just to be first on the market. I know Versa, but I know it's not enough. VeloCloud solutions are more public for companies and buyers than Versa is. These are the only two products that…
Learn what your peers think about Versa FlexVNF. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: May 2021.
511,307 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Corey Taub
Senior Network Administrator at RS&H
Straightforward with excellent next-generation firewall features and geo-blocking capabilities.

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution for multi-link aggregated circuits that are co-managed with our provider.

• "The most valuable aspects of the solution are the next-generation firewall features and geo-blocking capabilities."
  • "The smaller units lack a lot of functionality."

What other advice do I have?

We're just a customer. We aren't a consultant or reseller.We have a couple of different models. We have the smaller models and the medium-sized models, however, I'm unsure of the exact model numbers. New users should be aware of sizing. Making sure that the size is correct is important. There are small, medium, and large units, however, the smaller units only support certain functionality. In saying that, they seem to have some issues with some of the functionality on the small units not working. It's best to get a medium-sized unit to get some of the next-generation firewall stuff. I'd rate…
NL
Directior of product line at China Telecom Global
Can easily be scanned or installed in a virtual environment and has good stability

What is our primary use case?

It's a purely internet-based solution. That means the customer already has their Ownned up-link(s), which we call DIA(Direct Internet Access). That means the customer brings their own connections to set up the virtual SD-WAN network and just use our white-box solution. On top of it, we set out an SD-WAN appliance which can be controlled by the setup on the CTG side.

• "We are thinking about how to make customers consolidate the loads to an SD-WAN network so that the customers can have bigger chunk from the SD-WAN side so that customers can have critical data be transferred with NPS VPN and non-critical data or some labeled traffic can be transferred by the SD-WAN network. I think it's a very important direction for digital transformation."

What other advice do I have?

I would rate it an eight out of ten. There's no brand that can rank a 10. A ten from my perspective, means good enough to ramp-up. Eight is the highest that can be scored amongst the choices of SD-WAN brands. I think the SD-WAN products Versa has have great space to improve. For example, automation. We are saying it's an SD-WAN solution, but it's not fully automatic for the service provider side. It requires a skilled managed service team to handle service delivery, even senior technical team involved.Their expertise is very important in customer solutions deploy and operation. It takes a lot…
    Vishal Kale
    Deputy General Manager- Solutions Engineering at a comms service provider with 10,001+ employees
    Good security features, good GUI interface, and easy to deploy

What is our primary use case?

We are a service provider, and we provide WAN services to various enterprise clients. We were among the first three CSP's to launch SDWAN services in India with the help of Versa. Later on, we adopted Cisco and Fortinet platforms.

• "It is very easy to deploy. The GUI interface is really good, and the security features are also very good. It is also stable and scalable, and their support is also good."
    • "SASE is the next big thing that is coming up, and it needs to be developed in Versa. This is the only thing that needs to be adapted very quickly by Versa. With the pandemic going on, I would like to see more features for working from home. They have launched Versa Secure Access (VSA), but it is currently immature. They need to tighten it up for work from home and SD-WAN concept."

What other advice do I have?

I would advise others to just go through all the documentation for its implementation. Versa has a huge repository for documentation. It is not that tough. Just go step by step, and you will be able to do it. If you miss one or two steps, it can get quite difficult to troubleshoot and implement it. That's why I advise following Versa documentation step by step. I would rate Versa FlexVNF a nine out of ten.
    TJ
    Network Engineer at a tech services company with 201-500 employees
    Straightforward setup, good scalability features, and can be configured and managed from anywhere

What is our primary use case?

I am working as a network engineer, and I test the performance of virtual routers and other products. I work in a lab environment where we test the performance of these products. I have worked on Data Plane for Versa. We have a controller deployed, and we have different templates on it.

• "The division of Control Plane and Data Plane is most valuable. It can be deployed anywhere, and you can control it and configure it from anywhere. This is one of the good features of this solution."
    • "I heard about them for the first time just before I started working on Versa. They do have blogs for information, but they could publicize more about the documentation and architecture. It doesn't seem to have that much exposure, and they should work on their customer base more."

What other advice do I have?

If you are trying to implement Versa Flex, I would recommend understanding how all the components work and stick together. You should know this because this is a next-generation technology using which you could deploy an orchestrator in other environments. You can then deploy your nodes on various sites, such as a physical site or a cloud environment, and control them from there. You should have good knowledge of how this technology works, and then you should appropriately use its new features, which segregate it from legacy routers. It is a great product with good scalability features. It is…
    MP
    Expert IP Access Engineer at a comms service provider with 5,001-10,000 employees
    Excellent virtualization and routing features with good technical support

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution for connecting to other branches via SD-WAN tunnels. The solution is routing data via application area polices and deprecation tools. It's a mix of a firewall and prevention software.

• "Our organization finds the application routing features extremely useful."
    • "The UTM features can be improved. It should offer better functionality."

What other advice do I have?

We're telecom operators and customers. We don't have a special relationship with the company and we aren't partners. I would recommend the solution. I would also recommend that people have some specialists deploy and maintain it to make it easy to use. I'd rate the solution eight out of ten.
    VishalKale
    Deputy General Manager- Solutions Engineering at a comms service provider with 5,001-10,000 employees
    Good security and ops features without the need to have a separate box

• "There are great security and ops features without the need for having a different box for security."
    • "With the pandemic and changing work models, it would be ideal if the product more accessibility options or more diversity within the solution itself."

What other advice do I have?

Overall, I would rate the solution at a nine out of ten. We've been pretty happy with it so far.