Vertica OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Vertica is the #3 ranked solution in our list of top Data Warehouse tools. It is most often compared to Snowflake: Vertica vs Snowflake

What is Vertica?

Micro Focus Vertica is the most advanced SQL database analytics portfolio built from the very first line of code to address the most demanding Big Data analytics initiatives. Micro Focus Vertica delivers speed without compromise, scale without limits, and the broadest range of consumption models. Choose Vertica on premise, on demand, in the cloud, or on Hadoop. With support for all leading BI and visualization tools, open source technologies like Hadoop and R, and built-in analytical functions, Vertica helps you derive more value from your Enterprise Data Warehouse and data lakes and get to market faster with your analytics initiatives.

To learn more about Micro Focus Vertica Advanced Analytics, visit our website.

Vertica is also known as Micro Focus Vertica, HPE Vertica, HPE Vertica on Demand.

Vertica Buyer's Guide

Download the Vertica Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: October 2021

Vertica Customers

Cerner, Game Show Network Game, Guess by Marciano, Supercell, Etsy, Nascar, Empirix, adMarketplace, and Cardlytics.

Vertica Video

Pricing Advice

What users are saying about Vertica pricing:
  • "It's difficult today to compete with open-source solutions. In these areas, there is a lot of competition and the price of this solution is a bit pricy."
  • "From a cost perspective, the software is less than most of its competitors."
  • "The price is reasonable. We use a pay per license model. Firstly, you need to buy a license. After that, you mainly pay the annual support fee of around 20% or 25%. I think their prices are quite reasonable."
  • "The pricing could improve, it is a little expensive."
  • "The price could be cheaper and it is best to negotiate the price."

Vertica Reviews

SO
Senior Database Architect at a real estate/law firm with 501-1,000 employees
Superior performance in speed and resilience makes this a very good warehousing solution

• "Speed and resiliency are probably the best parts of this product."
  • "The geospatial functionality could be designed better."

What is our primary use case?

We are very happy to have a good warehouse solution that we can run on-premises. Next year we will start testing it on the cloud so we can progress to a hybrid solution. We would like to have Vertica in the cloud integrating with our data lake. We could go with another cloud solution but Vertica has been a good solution for us so far and we hope the cloud product is as good and flexible.

On-premises, Vertica would still be used as our data warehouse solution. That would keep us where we know that the cost for the hardware is relatively reasonable where we have customers running large number of reports. At the moment we have customers running many thousands of reports a day and having Vertica gives us real-time insight into our data. The ROI with Vertica on premises has been sunstantial.

How has it helped my organization?

Allow near realtime reports into vast amounts of data has given is insights into most areas of our business

What is most valuable?

I think the most valuable thing about the product is the speed and resilience. I would say the strong, well-featured SQL engine with many built-in features — including machine-learning — is also a strong point.

When testing alternative columnar or in-memory databases the queries their speed may quicker for one or two users, but their concurrency is not as good as Vertica. I would have to say Vertica returns the queries pretty much all the time reliably while other products can sometimes run for 10 minutes and still fail.

What needs improvement?

Every product has room for improvement and Vertica is no different in that way.

I think the geospatial is quick, but could be quicker.

Continue adding machine learning code to run directly on the database.

I also think the ability to perhaps directly link to other databases rather than just data sources and files would be another one.

For new functionality, I think the possibility of adding triggers or programmatic pieces of code might be helpful, depending on the data coming in. It is difficult to say if it would work or cause more issues than it solves.

W

Five-plus years in heavy use.

Vertica is extremely stable. In all our years of heavy use, we had one crash at this was more likely OS related.

If you have Vertica in the cloud in Eon mode, then you can have different clusters to isolate different types of data usage. So, if it is a situation where you have many small, quick, concurrent queries, you could have one cluster for that. I have one for doing Kafka and batch-loading. You can have one for machine-learning as well. But when you are on-premises, up until recently, you had only shared resources which had to to be managed using resource pools.

It is scalable. You just add extra nodes. But like all data solutions and all databases, you have to always consider how the data is stored, and how the data is queried. We have Elasticsearch and several other database. They will perform differently when used for different tasks. The right database for the right task.

Vertica is really quick, but with poor query design a report can take far too long.
Vertice EON mode allows for true user / query type scalability by firing up additional clusters as requirements change

I have contacted the technical support team fairly frequently. I find the support very good, but for more technical questions end up having to escalate past the first point of contact.

I have varied experience in this category of products and I have used a few different ones. We have a legacy Oracle data warehouse, which is just not performing quick enough - hence the move to Vertica. Since moving to Vertica all the manual maintenance and speed issues of the Oracle data warehouse are left behind.

We did look at ParAccel, Vertica  and Kognitio when deciding we needed a fast database that could handle large volumes of data. Vertica worked on-premises, in the cloud, and I did extremely in-depth, rigorous testing on it, concurrency, size, volume, and it outperformed all the other databases. The cost was reasonable as well. Some of our larger reports are running on 3.200 billion row tables and they are running in seconds.

Actually, the setup of the product itself was straightforward and really quick.

Once it was up and running and ingesting data we created our first customer facing reports very quickly. Replacing scheduled reports took us eight or nine hours on a Sunday and did not allow any real drill-down could be executed in milliseconds pm Vertica with a lot more flexibility. What takes time is building our dashboards, communication with the customers, introductions to the new products, document the reports.

I found it really straightforward to set up and run. I would say within two months of setting it up, I had all of my ingestion routines in place and everything was formalised. It ended up that it was one of the easiest database products I have ever had to set up.

We deployed without any external help except maybe a few tech support calls.

With something like Vertica it has had a really excellent ROI. To allow realtime reporting opens up possibilities. Democratisation of data and having a front end reporting tool allows insights into data that would not have been possible.

What differentiates Vertica from other competitors would probably be the ease of setup and ease of management. It can also ingest data from many sources, like Kafka, Parquet, and ORC (Apache Optimized Row Columnar). Vertica is quite flexible in how it handles its data. So mostly the flexibility and the ease of management separate it from most other products.

What other advice do I have?

Advice that I would give others who are considering this solution is what I always say for all products: you should heavily test your use cases and data with the product. There are different versions of software and there are always new software solutions. You always should do an exhaustive performance testing from the point of view of any database product. Better to let the product speak for itself. Test several vendor's products if possible.

To be honest, it is hard to see too many issues with Vertica as a solution. I find a few weaknesses in it, but I think that is the same with all databases. I think when you are doing very large fact table to very large fact table joins pretty much every database will experience problems. Joining two tables that are many multi-million rows is just a large volume to process.

Honestly, I think if you get a proof-of-concept up, you do your typical load and then keep multiplying concurrency and data volume — see how it works for concurrency, speed.

Vertica so far has proven to be relatively hassle-free. But, like all databases, you do have to keep an eye on how people use it, particularly when it comes to reporting.

On a scale from one to ten where one is the worst and ten is the best, I would rate Vertica as a nine.

JelsonGhigonetto
Creator and Manager of Intelligent Water Loss Management Models at Qintess
Enhanced capabilities, good customer service, large data scalability and stable

• "The solution has great capabilities. The tool that instructs the internal database forward is easy to use and is very powerful."
  • "They could improve on customer service."

What is our primary use case?

The solution is a BI solution that includes machine learning. Our company is involved in the distribution of water and we use it to capturing data for several points and to discover where there might have been a loss of drinkable water.

There is a problem with the water distribution because the company that I'm working for has an index of 32% of water loss during the process of the distribution. These losses can be from a different source. It can be from leakage, it can be an error or on the meter read which can have many issues, sometimes the problem occurs in different hours depending on the pressure of the water network.  We need to use artificial intelligence to collect millions of the data points to detect where the problem might be coming from.

What is most valuable?

The solution has great capabilities. The tool that instructs the internal database forward is easy to use and is very powerful.

What needs improvement?

The product could be less expensive and could benefit from a better marketing strategy.
In a future release, I would like to have one application to help create intelligent models.

We have been testing and developing the solution for two years.

We did not have any technical problem with the solution.

The solution has great scalability. We started with one terabyte of compressed data, this is a lot of data and we never had problems with the scalability. You can have hundreds of terabytes with the solution if you want, it all depends on your needs.

The customer service is very good. They could improve on their expertise and knowledge of bigger projects and their support for them. Some of their information about collecting data I was not satisfied with their help. They could improve on customer service a bit.

I rate the technical support an eight out of ten.

We currently use IDOL as well as Vertica.

The product is not easy to set up because you need a lot of training. It has less to do about the product itself, but the knowledge on how to use it. For example, the spreadsheet product Excel, If you don't know mathematics, you will have difficulty to make big Excel model and that's the same with the Vertica. It's just only a tool and depending on your capabilities to design what you need.

We are the developers of a solution and it is a very sophisticated project. It's something that we spent two years to develop. We already tested it and we are only waiting for the customer to try it and then purchase it. It has taken some time to implement the solution to the way we wanted for our company.

It's difficult today to compete with open-source solutions. In these areas, there is a lot of competition and the price of this solution is a bit pricy.

We use another product called IDOL and use them both together as our solution. Sometimes you use both or sometimes you use each one separately. The two products are machine learning products but with different uses. IDOL has a more developed application and is much bigger than in Vertica.

What other advice do I have?

This solution is used by several big companies such as Bank of America, Uber, and Facebook. Where you need a BI with intelligence. We use the solution because it is very good, you can make interconnections with anything to collect the data, any type of data. I have tried other products and they did not fit as well as this one did, I recommend Vertica.

I rate Vertica a nine out of ten.

Learn what your peers think about Vertica. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: October 2021.
542,608 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Mike Walker
Director - Big Data, IoT and Analytics at Benchmark Corp
Reseller
Low cost, high performance with large scale queries, and integrates well in an enterprise setting

• "For me, It's performance, scalability, low cost, and it's integrated into enterprise and big data environments."
  • "Some of our small to medium-sized customers would like to see containerization and flexibility from the deployment standpoint."

What is our primary use case?

We are resellers and we provide products for our customers.

Our clients are using this solution in two ways; one is for a data warehouse, and the second is for analytics in the database.

What is most valuable?

The data warehouse has exceedingly high performance and has the ability to do large scale queries very effectively. It fits well in large enterprises.

All features are valuable. It's a combination of capabilities that's all in one place, which is incredibly powerful.

For me, it's performance, scalability, low cost, and it's integrated into enterprise and big data environments.

What needs improvement?

Some of our small to medium-sized customers would like to see containerization and flexibility from the deployment standpoint. They don't currently offer this as a platform as a service. Snowflake is offering this capability.

They're available in the cloud. They're available on every cloud, but they're not available as a managed platform as a service offering.

We have been dealing with Vertica for two years.

We use both version 9.3 and version 10. Version 10 is the latest one.

Vertica is a stable solution, it's rock solid. Production workloads being run on it are super steady. It's high availability, massively parallel processing. Nodes go down and you don't even notice.

This is a scalable solution. For example, if we look at Uber drivers, they are able to monitor the position and availability of the drivers and match that against the number of customers for every customer and every driver worldwide globally.

They do a geospatial analysis and calculate their search pricing. They are defined by geographical boundaries, they are defined by where the people are and where the drivers are. This is done for every city in the world for every driver. That gives you an idea of the scale they are able to do in this particular use case.

This gives you the idea of the scale, the performance, and the ability to do analytics in the database. They do this so much more cost-effectively than they would on any other platform.

Technical support is extremely good. They know the product and they're very good.
I don't have any complaints regarding technical support.

Vertica is known for its ease of administration. I would say that the initial setup is easier than most.

The price varies completely. Cost information is available publically where you can compare with other solutions.

From a cost perspective, the software is less than most of its competitors.

Customers save money by a smaller hardware footprint, fewer nodes, less storage, lower-cost storage, and no appliances. So it is typically a lot less money than an Oracle, Teradata, or Snowflake.

Overall, they are highly competitive when it comes to pricing.

What other advice do I have?

The customers love them. They absolutely love them.

Before implementing this solution, make sure that it is on the list and that you evaluate it.

I would rate Vertica a ten out of ten.

YZ
Sr DBA/ DBA Tech Lead at a non-profit with 1,001-5,000 employees
A scalable unified analytics platform with good performance

• "The feature I like best is performance. We use Red Tool and Red Job for the data warehouse and reporting. It's perfect. Performance is good, and it can return ad hoc queries very quickly. Of course, it's a cluster, so it's easy to scale."
  • "It's hard to make it slow for a small data volume. For large volumes, it's hard to make it work. It's also hard to make it faster, and to make it scale."

What is our primary use case?

Our use case is a typical data warehouse. We just use the data warehouse for reporting and the storage of data. Our users are the staff team who do the reporting and data analysis.

What is most valuable?

The feature I like best is performance. We use Red Tool and Red Job for the data warehouse and reporting. It's perfect. Performance is good, and it can return ad hoc queries very quickly. Of course, it's a cluster, so it's easy to scale.

What needs improvement?

It's hard to make it slow for a small data volume. For large volumes, it's hard to make it work. It's also hard to make it faster, and to make it scale.

I have been using Vertica for about five years.

It's a stable solution.

Vertica is a scalable solution.

Technical support is good, and they react quickly.

The initial setup is okay. You will need some knowledge and some training. I'd say learning takes a couple of months. We use one person to maintain the database side. With the DevOps team, everyone has a different role. But for our database, it's just one person.

The price is reasonable. We use a pay per license model. Firstly, you need to buy a license. After that, you mainly pay the annual support fee of around 20% or 25%. I think their prices are quite reasonable.

What other advice do I have?

We tried to use data lake kind of stuff for machine learning, but for the key functionality of the data warehouse, it's great. Personally, I feel they are over-marketing the machine learning feature and for something like the semi-structured data. But for the data warehouse, it's truly a good solution. I want to recommend it highly.

I would tell potential users that it's hard to make it slow for small data volumes. For large volumes, it's hard to make it work, make it faster, and make it scale. Depending on your workload and your use case, you need to first purchase the Red Tool. After that, you need to follow the best practices to have an efficient design.

On a scale from one to ten, I would give Vertica a nine.

Teddy Elias
Senior Manager, Systems and Network Engineering at a computer software company with 11-50 employees
Improved my organization's functionality and performance

• "It has improved my organization's functionality and performance."
  • "We are looking for a cheaper deployment for the solution. Although we did a lot of benchmarks, like Redshift. We tried Redshift, it didn't work. It didn't work out for us as well."

How has it helped my organization?

It has improved my organization's functionality and performance.

What is most valuable?

You don't have any more dependency on the local store. In order to build the on-prem process for Vertica, you need to make a lot of changes and be picky about choosing your hardware for it. On Eon, you just put it on S3, so you're not paying a penny for the stores anymore. That's the good thing about Eon.

What needs improvement?

We are looking for a cheaper deployment for the solution. Although we did a lot of benchmarks, like Redshift. We tried Redshift, it didn't work. It didn't work out for us as well.

I have been using Vertica since 2009.

When you're on-prem, you're always worried about losing your nodes. It was hard to restore especially when you have big data.

Scalability has been amazing. We have seen a lot of improvement. We have developers and we have a production demo. We have hosted clusters for customers, we have deployed customer scope. I can scribe them by petabytes. I can scale them by the number of users. It depends on the customers. For one project we can have 15 to 20 consecutive users, but they deal with petabytes of storage.

Their support is really bad. Maybe Micro Focus has changed but they were not good before. They weren't really responsive. We've never had good support.

I would rate it a three out of ten. I met with them two months ago. They asked why we didn't renew our support. They wasted a lot of our money. We've had really bad experiences with Vertica.

We previously used Oracle and we decided to go for big data.

The initial setup was straightforward for me, it's not complex at all. You need to be at least a bit of a database administrator and really get certified on Vertica in order to use it.

What other advice do I have?

My advice to someone considering Vertica is to go for it.

Nothing is missing. I would rate it a ten out of ten.

The only issues are support and the price.

Santosh Kurakula
Group DWH and BI Senior Manager at Virgin Mobile Middle East and Africa
Extremely fast query performance, effective real-time API integrations, and highly qualified support

• "Vertica is a columnar database where the query performance is extremely fast and it can be used for real-time integrations for API and other applications. The solution requires zero maintenance which is helpful."
  • "They could improve the integration and some of the features in the cloud version."

What is our primary use case?

We are using Vertica for our data warehouse. We run all the ETL and then store the information for the reports which are given to the business team for use for analytical purposes.

What is most valuable?

Vertica is a columnar database where the query performance is extremely fast and it can be used for real-time integrations for API and other applications. The solution requires zero maintenance which is helpful.

What needs improvement?

They could improve the integration and some of the features in the cloud version.

I have been using Vertica for approximately six years.

The solution is highly stable.

We have approximately 15 users using this solution in my organization.

Vertica is scalable.

The support is extremely good, they respond immediately and are highly qualified. We interact with them once in a while to have new features explained, sessions understanding, and if we have an issue. We have a good relationship with them.

The installation is not simple, if you go through the documents that are provided you should manage to do it. However, having some technical knowledge would be recommended.

The time it took to do the implementation was approximately 45 minutes. There is additional software or features that we needed to deploy as part of the migration.

We did the implementation ourselves with a five-person technical team. However, the first time we did the implementation we had support from the Vertica team. They helped us by providing recommendations and best implementation practices.

The pricing could improve, it is a little expensive.

I have evaluated Postgres.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this solution to others if it fits their use case. If someone is looking for a data warehouse solution with a fast query process Vertica is a good choice. However, it is different than a relational database. If the choice was between Postgres and Vertica, I would recommend Vertica.

I rate Vertica nine out of ten.

Hybrid Cloud
Alberto Guisande
Director at Decision Science
Allows us to take volumes and process them at a very high speed

• "Vertica's most outstanding features are the compression rates achieved and the speed of access of high volume data."
  • "Allows us to take volumes and process them at a very high speed."
  • "Support is an area where it could get better."
  • "Promotion/marketing must be improved, even though it is a very useful product at very good price, it is not as "popular" as it should be."

What is our primary use case?

Primary use case is advanced analytics over huge amounts of data. Vertica provides high speed access to high volumes.

How has it helped my organization?

Previous to Vertica, some analysis could not be made because of the amount of data needed. Vertica allowed us to take those volumes and process them at a very high speed.

What is most valuable?

What needs improvement?

• Support is an area where it could get better.
  • Promotion/marketing must be improved, even though it is a very useful product at very good price, it is not as "popular" as it should be.

Just some issues with clustering, but they were not Vertica's issues.

None.

It could be improved.

I used Hadoop as the first approach. However, Vertica provided the best of both worlds (huge amounts of data and speed of access for analytics).

Once you got your cluster setup and nodes properly working, it is very simple to set up Vertica.

We did the implementation ourselves.

Huge. We are doing analytics that previously we could not.

We evaluated Exasol, but it came out to be too expensive for the use case.

What other advice do I have?

Do a good volumetric analysis to manage the storage needed.

Jo Chaiyut
Manager at Bizinfo Thailand
Reseller
Scalable, reliable, and good support

What is our primary use case?

We are using Vertica in our warehouse.

What needs improvement?

I have found that coding support could be simplified.

I have been using this solution for approximately five years.

The solution is stable.

I have found the solution to be scalable.

I have used the local support and I prefer them.

The price could be cheaper and it is best to negotiate the price.

What other advice do I have?

I rate Vertica an eight out of ten.

What is our primary use case?

We are using Vertica in our warehouse.

What needs improvement?

I have found that coding support could be simplified.

I have been using this solution for approximately five years.

The solution is stable.

I have found the solution to be scalable.

I have used the local support and I prefer them.

The price could be cheaper and it is best to negotiate the price.

What other advice do I have?

I rate Vertica an eight out of ten.