Vertica Overview

Vertica is the #4 ranked solution in our list of top Data Warehouse tools. It is most often compared to Snowflake: Vertica vs Snowflake

What is Vertica?

Micro Focus Vertica is the most advanced SQL database analytics portfolio built from the very first line of code to address the most demanding Big Data analytics initiatives. Micro Focus Vertica delivers speed without compromise, scale without limits, and the broadest range of consumption models. Choose Vertica on premise, on demand, in the cloud, or on Hadoop. With support for all leading BI and visualization tools, open source technologies like Hadoop and R, and built-in analytical functions, Vertica helps you derive more value from your Enterprise Data Warehouse and data lakes and get to market faster with your analytics initiatives.

To learn more about Micro Focus Vertica Advanced Analytics, visit our website.

Vertica is also known as Micro Focus Vertica, HPE Vertica, HPE Vertica on Demand.

Vertica Buyer's Guide

Download the Vertica Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: April 2021

Vertica Customers

Cerner, Game Show Network Game, Guess by Marciano, Supercell, Etsy, Nascar, Empirix, adMarketplace, and Cardlytics.

Vertica Video

Filter Archived Reviews (More than two years old)

Hewlett Packard Enterprise Solution Architect at a tech services company with 11-50 employees
It leverages machine learning and predictive analytic features to help preprocess data

What is our primary use case?

The primary use case is as an analytics database on EC2 instances.

• "It maximize cloud economics for mission-critical big data analytical initiatives."
  • "It maximizes cloud economics with Eon Mode by scaling cluster size to meet variable workload demands."
  • "It needs integration with multiple clouds."

What other advice do I have?

It is a complete solution and a also good solution for EC2 instances. I have not tried to integrate it with other products.
Architect at OpenSCG
User
Any novice user can tune vertical queries with minimal training

What is our primary use case?

We use the product for compressed data store, fast reporting, and self healing analytical data workloads. It also helps with big data ingestions, processing, and reporting.

How has it helped my organization?

Bulk loads, batch loads, and micro-batch loads have made it possible for our organization to process near real-time ingestions and faster analytics.

What is most valuable?

The tool for performance tuning and recommendations Any novice user can tune vertical queries with minimal training (or no training at all).

What needs improvement?

It should provide a GUI interface for data management and tuning. Monitoring tools need to be lightweight. They should not take up heavy resources of the main server.

Learn what your peers think about Vertica. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: April 2021.
479,323 professionals have used our research since 2012.
DW
Bi Group Manager at Intuit Inc.
Its projections and encoding are excellent tools for tuning large volumes

What is our primary use case?

We push both raw and modeled data into a Vertica cluster. It is used mainly for internal analysis and Tableau reports by data scientists and analysts.

• "Vertica gives knowledgeable users and DBAs excellent tools for tuning."
  • "Its projections and encoding are excellent tools for tuning large volumes."
  • "If you do not utilize the tuning tools like projections, encoding, partitions, and statistics, then performance and scalability will suffer."
  • "It would be great if this were a managed service in AWS."
Cloud Architect, Oracle ACE, Oracle DBA at Pythian
MSP
Its scalability has enabled Pythian's clients to manage data with agility and scale accordingly.

What is our primary use case?

It has performed well for the analytical and data warehousing performance. It has enabled scalability and has added value to the business.

• "Its analytics has enabled Pythian's clients to get the business insights as quick as they wanted. Its lower maintenance has also improved the ROI."
  • "One feature, which has really benefited us, is the scalability offered by Vertica as it has enabled Pythian's clients to manage data with agility."

What other advice do I have?

First, analyze your business requirements and if the analytics, scalability, and lower maintenance are your requirements then go for HPE Vertica.
Co-Founder at a tech services company
Its speed differentiates it from other columnars, and works on commodity hardware

What is our primary use case?

When I have a business need for a few pieces of information, and I need to process it quickly, that's when I use Vertica.

• "The feature of the product that is most important is the speed. I needed a columnar database, and its speed is what it's built to do, and so that's what really does differentiate Vertica from its competitors."
  • "I don't need any special hardware. I can use commodity hardware, which is nice to have in a commercial solution."

What other advice do I have?

The pros are, if you have columnar processing, then this is in your top three solutions. I think the con is the software pricing, and licensing needs to start getting more competitive with the open source solutions, or they need to market their stability a lot more. Test out the solution. Most people who test it buy it. So that's the biggest draw that it has, you can test in a day.
    Technical Leader / Business Intelligence Consultant with 11-50 employees
    Columnar database supports our advanced analytics and ETL process

• "Vertica is a columnar database, this support our developments in analytics, advanced analytics, and ETL process with large sets of data."
    • "I believe the installation process could be streamlined."

What other advice do I have?

The technical requirements for the product are really important. The design tool for vertica is the core of the database for performance. Never forget to use it to create projections to optimize the storage compression and response times. Better compression means the 1TB mark takes longer to be reached.
    HN
    Infrastructre Manager - Senior Maintenance Manager with 10,001+ employees
    Lack of Stored Procedures, packages, triggers make things difficult for developers

• "Partition and join back to node are easy and simple for DBAs."
    • "DBAs don’t need to add a partition every month/quarter like with other DBs."
    • "There are a lot of limitations within this product and it makes things extremely hard for developers. It lacks Stored Procedure, packages, and triggers like other RDBMs."
    • "Very bad support, I would rate it two out of 10."

What other advice do I have?

My advice regarding this product is a definite "no", due to bad support.
    JS
    Sr. SW Engineer - Databases with 201-500 employees
    Easy to implement, by tuning the model (projection design) you get great performance

• "Vertica enabled us to close large deals. Customers with large data sets had to be migrated from PostgreSQL to Vertica due to performance."
    • "Performance of management of metadata layer (database catalog) needs improvement. We still have to have smaller customers on PostgreSQL; Vertica cannot manage thousands of schemata."
    • "Suboptimal projection design causes queries to not scale linearly."
    • "Metadata for database files scale okay, but metadata related to tables/columns/sequences must be stored on all nodes."

What other advice do I have?

It is easy to implement this solution for one customer. By tuning the model (projection design) you get incredible performance. You won’t face issues with metadata (catalog) layer up to tens of thousands of tables. It can be a challenge to operate clusters for many customers with varied data pipelines. Consider using Database Designer. Don't hesitate to push Vertica (through support/product management) to improve it. Consider implementing your own tools to automate performance tuning tasks.
    Consultant at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees

What is most valuable?

I found the columnar storage, which increases performance of sequential record access, to be the most valuable feature.  I also like the projection feature, which increases query performance.

How has it helped my organization?

The workload on our ETL tools were reduced.  All joint operations were enhanced by creating identically segmented projections.

What needs improvement?

Limitations in group by projections is where I would like to see an improvement.

We have not had any issues with deployment.

We have not had any issues with stability.

We have been able to scale it for our…
    Managing Partner at Thorium Data Science
    The architecture means it can process/ingest data in parallel to reporting and analyzing because of in-memory Write-Optimized Storage alongside the analytics optimized Read-Optimized Storage.

• "The Vertica architecture means it can process/ingest data in parallel to reporting and analyzing because of its in-memory Write-Optimized Storage sitting alongside the analytics optimized Read-Optimized Storage."
    • "I would personally like to see extended developer tooling suited to Vertica – think published PowerDesigner SQL dialect support."

What other advice do I have?

The implementation itself is excellent with fantastic features, speed and scalability. They lose a point only for the development experience which relies on third party tooling like squirrel, and not having SQL based stored procedures. Go for it! Try the pre-installed VM which HP offers to have a play with it and get a feel for it. It can certainly scale better than any other RDBMS and pushes the envelope of SQL analysis so you can query/analyze/report “BIG-DATA” without having to resort to the complications associated with Hadoop & unstructured data analysis. If your data is structured and…
    Staff Dev Lead - Analytics Data Storage at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employees
    Our typical run time for a query is now measured in seconds not hours.

• "The extensibility and efficiency provided by their C++ SDK."
    • "Whatever's out, the core is not always as great as the engine, especially their first version."

What other advice do I have?

If you plan to use Vertica for different workloads (in term of IO patterns, query frequency, dataset structure) plan to split your clusters: the mother of all cluster patterns becomes quite difficult to manage at some point. We today have around 20 clusters for different usages.
    Architect at a comms service provider with 1,001-5,000 employees
    The engine analyses offline usage and sends customers alerts when they exceed certain limits.

What is most valuable?

Quick retrieval of data Fast upload of data

How has it helped my organization?

Vertica was a key component in a billing systems analytic engine. Among other functionalities, the engine is constantly analysing offline usage and sending customers alerts when they exceed certain limits.

What needs improvement?

It would be hugely beneficial if HP Vertica offered stored procedures.

I have used it for five years.

As a green field solution, the features of the application were not clear and the system integrator was not up to the mark.

We did not encounter hardly any stability issues.

What do I think

Vertica Support Engineer at a media company with 10,001+ employees
    Its column-oriented architecture makes it a database specialized for data warehouses.

What other advice do I have?

* Understand that its strengths depend on a good data warehouse design using a star schema. It was never intended for high volumes of small, randomly distributed inserts, updates and deletes that are typically found in transactional databases. * It uses column-oriented architecture. It is important to study aspects of this architecture and to implement them and modify them as the database grows in size and more users access the system. This is especially true for projections, run-length encoding, sorting and column ordering. It is important to understand these aspects in order to truly…
    Director of Software Development at a tech company with 501-1,000 employees
    It is scalable and worth the expense if you need the production capability that it can support.

What other advice do I have?

It is worth a try if you are looking to provide a high-performance, big data analytics database.
    Senior Vice President Data at Adform
    Ad-hoc data analysis improved the SLAs for our end clients.

What other advice do I have?

When we chose a solution, we were looking at scalability, maintenance, and ease of use. With Vertica, we can access big data using regular SQL queries.
    Member of Technical Staff at a tech company with 1,001-5,000 employees
    In a PoC, query performance outperformed other solutions.
    Database Administrator (DBA) at a computer software company with 501-1,000 employees
    I liked the auto-distribution to all nodes for fault tolerance and query performance.

What other advice do I have?

My advice is to clearly define your expectations, and benchmark performance in real-world-like environments. If you expect to be executing 100 queries per second and loading 10 million tuples per minute, then test that, and test several times that so you collect measurements about where the system is liable to break down.
    Software and Data Architect at a computer software company with 1,001-5,000 employees
    The concurrency got better in this version and we are able to run more queries and load concurrently.

What other advice do I have?

Don't plan a production usage on high-scale straight on Vertica, use caching or other buffers between the users and the DB. Get yourself familiar with the DB architecture before planing your model (specifically, make sure you know ROS/WOS and projections). Try to avoid LAP before your schema gets stabilized.
    Lead Data Scientist Machine Learning at a financial services firm with 51-200 employees
    Columnar storage makes 'hot data' available much faster than a traditional RDBMS solution.

What other advice do I have?

It's a solid product that keeps its promises. I do worry about HP Enterprise's sale of Vertica to Micro-Focus Rating: 8/10 - it works very well, but some customers worry about 'Vendor lock-in'.
    Senior business Intelligence consultant at Asociación SevillaUP
    ​Data Warehouse response times have decreased​. It doesn't support stored procedures in the way we are used to thinking of them.

What other advice do I have?

Do COMMIT, and enable/enforce constraints because by default they ARE NOT!!!!
    Development Operations/SRE at a computer software company with 501-1,000 employees
    We built a custom analytical tools on top of Vertica.

What is most valuable?

HA Clustering Speed / Performance

How has it helped my organization?

We're able to retrieve queries nearly instantaneous for our custom analytical tools we built on top of Vertica.

What needs improvement?

More frequent updates.

None.

None.

Very knowledgable team which has provided excellent documentation for every issue we've had to troubleshoot.

MonetDB -- unstable, frequent crashes.

Straightforward, was able to get the database up fairly quickly…
    Data Scientist at a media company with 501-1,000 employees
    The fact that it is a columnar database is valuable. Columnar storage has its own benefit with a large amount of data.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend using Vertica for those people/teams having large denormalized fact tables that need to be processed efficiently. I worked around optimizing the query performance dealing with projections, merge joins and groupby pipelines. It paid off at the end.
    Solution Engineering and Arcitect - Big Data, Data Science and Cloud Computing at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employees
    It delivers speed and performance in query response time. Complicated multi-table queries perform well.

What other advice do I have?

Make sure the data and table structures are compact. Vertica will create many versions of the same data as a projection and isolated tables will increase size, increasing licensing cost.
    Senior DBA at a local government with 1,001-5,000 employees
    We use it for marketing analytics. Documentation could be improved.

What other advice do I have?

It’s still not mainstream (especially in the UK) and I would say to some extent still ‘improving’ at each release, but it is enterprise ready and a hugely cheaper option than some. We did some like-for-like comparisons between HP Vertica and Oracle Exadata (work load / timings) and the two compared favourably, with Vertica being faster than Oracle in all but the biggest and most complex of queries.
    Associate at a tech services company with 501-1,000 employees
    I like the clustering aspect with the share-nothing mentality. I also value the ease of maintenance.

What other advice do I have?

If you are not Linux savvy, find a person that is. Make a cheat sheet with the commands and/or steps for your environment. If you are in the cloud, make sure to understand the networking aspect is completely different in AWS from it will be in your local data center. Failure to plan is planning to fail with Vertica implementation, and try not to mess up the spread as it's a pain to fix. If you read the documents, you will see what I am talking about.
    Vertica DBA at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
    It has helped us escalate, we need information almost real-time.

What is most valuable?

Analytical features are amazing, the integration is wonderful.

How has it helped my organization?

It has helped us escalate, we need information almost real-time.

What needs improvement?

Documentation, there are functions that are not documented. UDF SDK, I'd like to see a step by step simulator example in a manual. The read-me code is good, however, an example would be great for starters.

3 years

Yes, cluster migration takes time.

Yes, in data streaming ROS containers is a pain to work with.

Not yet.

How are customer service and technical

High FrequencyTrading Systems and Strategy Architect/Quant Trader at a financial services firm with 51-200 employees
    Fast inserts, queries way faster than in SQL Server.
    Management Consultant at a computer software company with 51-200 employees
    A SQL-based compute platform like Vertica enables far less human overhead in operations and analytics.

What other advice do I have?

See additional functionality above.
    Sr. DevOps Engineer, Adometry at a tech company with 10,001+ employees
    We can process vast amounts of data, fast.

What is most valuable?

Super-fast aggregated results from massive data.

How has it helped my organization?

We can process vast amounts of data, fast and with a high degree of reliability.

What needs improvement?

Better feedback from installation. I would like to see more meaningful errors returned and more graceful handling of those. Thankfully, we don't often hit error conditions.

4 years.

Depends on the environment. Generally pretty good. If you have a large catalog, you can get timeouts adding nodes. Large catalog issues have been dealt with it recent…
    Sr. Software Engineer (Database) at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employees
    I like the Query Performance.
    Database Admin at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employees
    Replication is the main feature for my use.

Valuable Features

Replication

Improvements to My Organization

Replication and Node recovery in 8.0.

Room for Improvement

vbr.py needs to be improve to support diff no of nodes source to target.

Use of Solution

5 years

Customer Service: 8 Technical Support: 8/10
    Senior Database Administrator; HP Vertica, MySQL, MSSQL, Cloud Ops at a tech vendor with 501-1,000 employees
    For me the most valuable aspect is the speed of columnar data.

What is most valuable?

Speed of columnar data.

What needs improvement?

Performance tuning; user community is needed.

1 year

Node recovery is very inconsistent and impacts performance.

Concurrency

Customer Service: Terrible Technical Support: Terrible

SQL Server and Oracle.

Simple
    DW Admin at a hospitality company with 1,001-5,000 employees
    It is the foundation of our new Data Warehouse platform because of the scalability and query speed.

What is most valuable?

Scalability, query speed.

How has it helped my organization?

It is the foundation of our new Data Warehouse platform.

What needs improvement?

Data velocity and manageability.

The utilization/launching project has lasted for a bit more than a year now.

There have been some issues with deleting and updating data from tables.

Customer Service: I have not been in contact with their customer service. Technical Support: I have not been in contact with their tech support.

Which solution

Principal Data Architect (BI) at a media company with 1,001-5,000 employees
    I like the fast analytical functions and ability to extend functionality.

What is most valuable?

Bulk loading data using copy Fast analytical functions Ability to extend functionality

How has it helped my organization?

Great reporting.

What needs improvement?

Faster deletes!

4 years

None

Sometimes users write bad queries that has brought down the cluster. Need a way to better manage resources.

Customer Service: Great Technical Support: Great

In house implementation.
    Senior Data Architect at a media company with 1,001-5,000 employees
    Having the ability invoke analytic functions without having write self join SQL statements is beneficial.

Valuable Features:

Analytic functions.

Improvements to My Organization:

We are trying to data mine customer event data. Having the ability invoke analytic functions without having write self join SQL statements ... just brilliant.

Room for Improvement:

Ability to use analytic functions in where clauses, being able to use aliases in the where and order by clauses will make query writing/reading a lot easier.

Use of Solution:

2 years.
    Owner at a tech vendor
    We switched from our previous solution because SQL Server did not scale.

What is most valuable?

Geospatial

What needs improvement?

Profiling, query optimize, management.

1 year

Some bugs, they were rapidly fixed.

Minute

Not yet

Customer Service: Excellent Technical Support: Very good

SQL Server did not scale.
    Infrastructure, Data Center and PMO Coordinator at a comms service provider with 501-1,000 employees
    We could use it to offer Analytics As A Service to our customers.

Valuable Features

Manage big data fast and easy.

Room for Improvement

The time that the mediation process takes and historical information that I can store.

Yes, there is a functionality in Vertica "Broadcast" that high the process level of our Network Switch Core. I had a serious problem with this because I interrupted the network service in the company. We have to change "Point to point".

Customer Service: Excellent! Technical Support: Excellent!

Other Solutions Considered

Yes, Netezza and SAP HANA.

Other Advice

I would like HP to help me to do more uses cases with Vertica. We are very interested in becoming a Business Partner in order to offer Analytics As A Service to our customers.
    Data Scientist at a tech vendor with 201-500 employees

Valuable Features

User Defined Extensions Analytic Functions

Improvements to My Organization

We were able to implement new algorithms without having to move data out of Vertica into a compute cluster. This allowed us to offer Analytics for Cybersecurity to our customers.

Room for Improvement

More Machine Learning algorithms--Random Forest for sure!

Customer Service: Very responsive Technical Support: Excellent

Implementation Team

In-house
    Data Scientist at a tech services company with 501-1,000 employees
    We're able to test more models and improve accuracy.

Valuable Features

Group by performance Analytic functions

Improvements to My Organization

We could run group by queries thousand of times faster, we are able to test more models and improve accuracy.

Room for Improvement

Debug custom functions in r.

Use of Solution

One year

None

Customer Service: Great! Email response is quickly and also within reported issues are resolved. Technical Support: Ggreat, they really understand what they are talking about.

Straightforward, very easy.

Implementation Team

In house
    Senior Database Administrator at a financial services firm with 51-200 employees
    I like Recovery by table. I would like messages to Vertica startup commands improved.

Valuable Features:

Recovery by table Copy cluster

Improvements to My Organization:

VBR backup used to take more than one week to back up 70 TB of data. After upgrading to latest version, it is taking about 48 hours.

Room for Improvement:

Improve Vertica logging and messages to Vertica startup commands.

Use of Solution:

4 years
    Sr. Developer, Big Data at a comms service provider with 51-200 employees
    The most valuable feature for me is the columnar data store.

Valuable Features:

Columnar data store

Room for Improvement:

Add geospatial indexes (sounds like they have done it in version 8.0)

Deployment Issues:

Stability Issues:

Scalability Issues:

Above average

Initial Setup:

Setup was very simple
    CIO with 1,001-5,000 employees
    Features valuable to me include: massive data ingestion performance and SQL standard query engine.

Valuable Features:

Massive data ingestion performance Performance SQL standard query engine

Improvements to My Organization:

DWH core platform is based on it

Room for Improvement:

Machine learning implementations Support for Cloud based environments like Google Compute Engine

Use of Solution:

3 years
    BD
    System Architect at a comms service provider with 10,001+ employees
    We can quickly identify with the root cause analysis where trends are.

What other advice do I have?

Make sure you understand how much data that you're going to be incorporating into the big data, so you can actually define the amount of storage and redundant storage appropriately.
    CIO at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employees
    It works well. When we ran into issues, there seemed to be a lot of different opinions for how to resolve them.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend that they highly evaluate all their options. If they're just going to run a small data warehouse, it's probably not a bad solution. If it's something they know is going to grow dramatically and unpredictably? I don't know. I would evaluate hard.
    Senior Data Warehouse Architect at a media company
    The Workload Analyzer helps you easily to analyze your database workloads and recommends tuning opportunities to maximize the database performance.

What other advice do I have?

From the beginning, work closely with HPE Vertica. There's a great Vertica community and a great network to many other companies in the world using this system. Vertica is the most flexible columnar storage with an outstanding performance for any kind of situation.
    PI
    Vertica Database Architect at a tech consulting company with 51-200 employees
    It's pretty straightforward to get the cluster up and running.

What other advice do I have?

How useful it is depends upon your use case. It’s not a be-all and end-all solution, and it’s great for data that doesn’t change. If you have massive fact and dimension tables, and you need to do analytics on them, this is the Cadillac. If you’re trying to replace your OLTP system, there are better suited solutions out there. These days, there are lots of alternative solutions in the big data space. Open source vs. Commercial. Every imaginable use case. Just like any project, there is the right tool for the job, but you don’t always know what tools are available. You end up using something…
    BI Manager, Vertica ASE Certified DBA at a marketing services firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
    The ability to view running queries and cancel problem ones from the Management Console is a very nice feature.

What is our primary use case?

Vertica is our sole data warehouse solution. It is our single point of access to all data loaded from disparate data sources across the organization, and is the single point of truth for all business rules encapsulated in our fact and dimension tables. All of our reporting to all business departments originates from Vertica. We are also using Vertica's inherent analytic functions, most notably geospatial, and are automating much of our analytics team's R libraries and functions into Vertica for faster processing.

• "The fast columnar store database structure allows our query times to be at least 10x faster than on any other database."
    • "We are able to integrate our Vertica data warehouse with Tableau to create numerous reports quickly and efficiently."
    • "We are also opening new areas of business and potential new revenue streams using Vertica's analytic functions, most notably geospatial, where we are able to run billions of comparisons of lat/long point locations against polygon and point/radius locations in seconds. ​"
    • "Integrated R and geospatial functions are helping us improve efficiency and explore new revenue streams. ​"
    • "Documentation has become much better, but can always use some improvement."

What other advice do I have?

My only advice is to seriously consider using Vertica for your data warehouse needs. I have normally just gone with the flow and learned whatever tools our company chose. When we switched from Aster Data to Vertica, I made the initial recommendation to do so. I am so happy with this product that I am now an HP ASE Certified Vertica Administrator, and moved to a new job that is also using Vertica. I would not have changed jobs if I were not able to continue using this product. I am also recommending to management that we purchase HPE IDOL for our upcoming audio and video analytics needs. HPE…
    Lead Software Engineer - Theatrical Global at a marketing services firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
    The biggest performance improvements are for queries that have to analyze a large amount of historical data.
    BI and Reporting Platform Teams and Tech leader at a computer software company with 1,001-5,000 employees
    It's enabled us to develop our new reporting system which is used as a SaaS by our users. Greater query concurrency is needed.

What other advice do I have?

If your product has lots of concurrent queries this solution is not suitable for you, or you need to implement a cache layer.
    Big Data DBA & DevOps at a tech vendor with 51-200 employees
    It's fast and built for complex analytics queries with a large amount of data.

What other advice do I have?

It's a great tool but to get the most out of it you will have to design your models to fit it.
    BI Architect / Software Engineer at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
    We thought the Management Console was a nice feature, but it turns out it gives us insight on what is happening behind the scenes.

What other advice do I have?

Do you want to stand up a data warehouse in a reasonable amount of time using the in-house skills accustomed to dealing with an RDBMS? If that is the case, nothing beats Vertica, hands down.
    Software Engineer at a marketing services firm with 51-200 employees
    Having projections as a parallel for indexes in a simple MySQL helped keep our data access fast and optimized. More insight into what the product is doing would help debugging.

What other advice do I have?

The product is great to use, but there is a steep learning curve initially. Also, we found limited resources for basic operations such as setup and deployment. Most tutorials and documentation were regarding how to run queries and use external tools such as Pentaho, which we weren’t using. We just wanted good explanations of how to optimize using projections, etc. I think it can be a great product if used correctly and implemented by a team who is familiar with the product.
    Technical Team Lead, Business Intelligence at a tech company with 501-1,000 employees
    The most valuable feature is the merge function, which is essentially the upsert function. We've had issues with query time taking longer than expected for our volume of data.

What other advice do I have?

Loading into HP Vertica is straightforward, similar to other data warehouse appliance databases such as Netezza. However, tuning it for querying requires a lot more thought. It uses projections that are similar to indexes. Knowing how to properly use projections does take time. One thing to be mindful of with columnar databases is that the fewer the columns in your query, the faster the performance. The number of rows impacts query time less. My advice would be to try out the database connecting to your ETL tools and perform time studies on the load and query times. It's a good database. It…
    Big Data, Analytics and Hadoop Expert, Vertica DBA (Technical Leader), Architecture Group at a tech vendor with 5,001-10,000 employees
    MSP
    Simple setup and responsive support.

What other advice do I have?

It is very easy to start using Vertica, however getting the maximum performance from it is a fine art.
    Architect with 501-1,000 employees
    You don’t have to worry about “load time slots” since you can load data into reporting tables at all times without worrying about their query load.

What other advice do I have?

Just go for it and try it out; you can download the free Community edition from the HP Vertica website.
    CTO at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
    A Good Option for Big Data

Valuable Features

Easy Installation, Easy to add and quit nodes...

Improvements to My Organization

SQLs querys 10 to 1 more fast that another commercial databases

Use of Solution

1 Year

Vertica support only SQL ANSI 99

Customer Service: 10/10Technical Support: 5/10

Easy

ROI

30%
    Chief Datamonger at a media company with 51-200 employees
    100,000x faster: gnarly queries reduced from 22 hours to 800 milliseconds
    Part I: The Pilot A/B testing is part of our company’s DNA; we test every change to our platform and games. When we were small, this was easy, but as we grew into the tens and hundreds of millions of users, query speed ground to a halt. (Familiar story, right?) So in 2011 we piloted Vertica for our A/B testing suite. Our nastiest query used to take up to 22 hours to run on [name of old vendor - but don't want to mention them and be mean]. On Vertica, it ran in… 800 ms. That’s right, a scan and aggregation of over 100 billion records could be done in under one second. We were hooked! Part II: The Rollout Yeah we rolled it out. Boring. No interesting story here. Part III: The Impact Not having to worry about speed or data volume changes you. Suddenly we began logging and reporting on…
    Architect at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
    Vertica allows for thousands of users to run an analysis at the same time. Great aggressive compression.
    At the tech company I work , we were looking for new ways to allow end users (a couple of thousand external users)  to crunch through their detailed data in real time as well as enabling internal users and data analysts to gain the information they needed to run and optimize their business processes.  Unfortunately our current system had  become slower and slower over time due to the tremendous increase in data to be managed so a new approach had to be taken to accomplish this goal.  Our existing data warehouse/data management infrastructure just could not handle big data. We evaluated a variety of different solutions such as Amazon Redshift, Infobright and Microsoft. Vertica won out above all these other solutions. Our dataset is several hundred million rows and our avg. response time…
    Chief Data Scientist at a tech vendor with 10,001+ employees
    We're using Vertica, just because of the performance benefits. On big queries, we're getting sub-10 second latencies.
    My company recognized early, near the inception of the product, that if we were able to collect enough operational data about how our products are performing in the field, get it back home and analyze it, we'd be able to dramatically reduce support costs. Also, we can create a feedback loop that allows engineering to improve the product very quickly, according to the demands that are being placed on the product in the field. Looking at it from that perspective, to get it right, you need to do it from the inception of the product. If you take a look at how much data we get back for every array we sell in the field, we could be receiving anywhere from 10,000 to 100,000 data points per minute from each array. Then, we bring those back home, we put them into a database, and we run…
    Senior Product Manager (Data Infrastructure) and Security Researcher at a tech company
    Great Platform
    If you are in the topic of Databases, you should know who is Dr. Michael Stonebraker, who is right now an adjunct professor in the Computer Science and Artificial Intelligence Laboratory at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology, considered like one of the world experts in this field. Why I began in that way? Because Dr. Stonebraker co-founded Vertica Systems, seeing the innovation behind this amazing product. But, What is Vertica? Vertica Analytic Database is a high performance MPP (Massive Parallel Processing) columnar engine optimized to deliver faster query results in the shortest time. I said optimized because this is a keyword inside the Vertica team: every piece of code in Vertica has a lot of research and innovation, which I will discuss later. I heard abut this database…
    Head of Databases at a retailer with 501-1,000 employees
    Great DW value for the money, but needs better workload management

What other advice do I have?

We are using Vertica because it is a fast and reliable data warehousing tool and provides us a very good data compression ratio. It is cheap in terms of overall cost per TB and also requires less human resource for maintenance and tuning. Vertica I have been told has improved cloud deployment capabilities on any infrastructure.
    Download our free Vertica Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.
    Quick Links