SH
IT Strategy, Management Consulting, Training and Development at a comms service provider with 51-200 employees
A diagramming and vector graphics application that makes it easy to communicate ideas

• "Visio makes it easy to communicate your ideas from several areas of your imagination across several domains."
  • "The price could be better."

What is our primary use case?

I use Visio for all my network diagrams. For example, I think of certain concepts that I need to communicate with my clients. I use it for this purpose. I also am an adjunct professor at one of the universities in Bangalore. Suppose I want to create a big chart or a mindmap; that's when I use Visio.

What is most valuable?

Visio makes it easy to communicate your ideas from several areas of your imagination across several domains. People like to imagine it and describe things in document form, and I think Visio could really help with that.

If you have any questions, it will take you through the concepts step-by-step, so you can also educate yourself.

What needs improvement?

The costs could be better.

I've been using Visio for at least 10 years.

It's quite a stable solution.

As far as I know, it doesn't need technical support.

Installing Visio is very simple. It doesn't require much effort. You can install it even if you don't have a brain. I think it took me about ten minutes to implement it.

Visio is expensive. It would be better if Microsoft can provide this as an option with Office 365. Microsoft 365 users can include Visio as part of the subscription model.

If Visio were affordable, people would realize its value. It becomes another revenue generator for Microsoft. The investment will pay off.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend it to new users. Today, Visio can be used by many more people because it helps in many ways. For example, when you use Office Suite Spreadsheet or PowerPoint, the extent to which you can do diagramming is limited in terms of dimensions.

On a scale from one to ten, I would give Visio an eight.

Artur Kowalczyk
Managing Director at a computer software company with 1-10 employees
Customizable, and integrates well with SharePoint, but the database modelling has deteriorated

• "The most valuable features are that the user experience is simple, and it's customizable."
  • "The database modeling has deteriorated significantly in the more current versions."

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features are that the user experience is simple, and it's customizable. You can customize it and connect it to data.

It has also many features that allow it to integrate Visio with SharePoint, which might be very useful in many applications.

What needs improvement?

In earlier versions, there was better database modeling. The database modeling has deteriorated significantly in the more current versions.

In Version 2000, the database modeling was pretty decent. Since then, it has deteriorated and a lot of the functionality has disappeared from Visio.

I have been using Visio for five years.

I am working with the latest version.

Now it is stable. In the past, it wasn't perfectly stable. with richer functionality, at least for the databases, but right now it's pretty stable.

The scalability has limitations. It could not model large sets of entities. 200 is probably a reasonable limit.

The initial setup is easy. It took a maximum of 15 minutes to deploy but it can be less.

Yesterday when I installed it, it only took five minutes.

It's cheaper than other solutions.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this solution as a starting point and as a benchmark to evaluate other tools because it is much cheaper. Also for starting modeling, database modeling, other UML, as well as other templates for modeling and business process modeling.

It integrates well with SharePoint.

It's a good tool to start working with and to use it as a benchmark with some more expensive tools. If those tools don't provide more features than Visio then they are not worth investing in.

I would rate this solution a six out of ten.

Learn what your peers think about Visio. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: November 2021.
552,407 professionals have used our research since 2012.
OK
Project Manager at a financial services firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
Has a good interface but it needs better third-party integration

• "The interface is the most valuable aspect of this solution."
  • "When you use a BPA solution you can open an end-to-end process in one window, go down, or go up between layers to different places. You should be able to see descriptions of the steps of the process."

What is our primary use case?

We use Visio for process diagram.

What is most valuable?

The interface is the most valuable aspect of this solution.

What needs improvement?

My colleagues are not satisfied with this solution for many reasons. They don't see end-to-end processes or the layers of one process.

When you use a BPA solution you can open an end-to-end process in one window, go down, or go up between layers to different places. You should be able to see descriptions of the steps of the process.

Integration with third-party vendors is another aspect that needs improvement.

I have been using Visio for three to four years.

We don't have any stability problems.

We have local technical support. We have an IT department and the department solves all of our problems. They contact local support if need be.

The price will always be high. It depends on the organization size, how many processes there are, and what requirements you have for the solution. If you require additional features like analysis, it will be a different price. It's a balance between requirements and price.

What other advice do I have?

My recommendation would depend on a few factors like the size of the organization. If it's a small organization and it does not have so many processes, I think Visio is a good solution. For larger organization solutions like Segnavio and Orbus would be better. Those are more complex solutions.

I would rate Visio a six out of ten. We don't have a holistic vision of our processes so I can't open a process. If I open a process in Visio, I can't see how it's connected to other processes.

RS
Deputy Manager, Quality Assurance at a computer software company with 10,001+ employees
Great designation feature that assists us with our required flow symbols

• "A good designation feature."
  • "Inventory feature could be improved."

What is our primary use case?

Mostly, we're using the solution for working with objects and network diagrams and all the charts. I'm the deputy manager of quality assurance and we are customers of Visio.

What is most valuable?

Most of the time we're dealing with designation so that feature we find very easy and useful because we have a continuation for the required flow symbols. It also provides access for profile pics for the designation. Sometimes there are other options, such as timelines, that I also use but less often.

What needs improvement?

The inventory feature could be improved. On projects, there are sometimes inventory tasks that are lacking. Imagery could also be improved. I'd also like to see increased visibility.

I've been using this solution for 15 years.

The stability of the solution improves from version to version, although sometimes it doesn't feel very user friendly. Inserting visual formats creates issues with stability. That aside, it is stable.

Scalability is good. At the project level, we have supposedly 1,000 users that interact with Visio. It's used extensively.

I'm satisfied with the technical support. The documentation is reasonable.

The initial setup was not complex because we had support and Visio assisted us with the deployment although it was actually carried out by our own company.

The fee is per license and there are no additional costs.

What other advice do I have?

I'm comfortable using this solution and I would recommend it.

I would rate this solution an eight out of 10.

Naresh Rayakwar
Tech Mahindra Total Duration14 yrs TitleTech Lead for KPN Project at a computer software company with 10,001+ employees
Useful and easy to use

• "The most valuable feature is how easy it is to use."
  • "Visio could be improved by adding more features. If you look at draw.io, they have more features. Also, if you want to design something for the cloud, Microsoft Azure still isn't enabled, so you need to install the plugin. This prototype is easily available, though."

What is our primary use case?

My primary use case is for designing the architecture diagram and the network diagram.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is how easy it is to use.

What needs improvement?

I have been using this solution for almost ten years.

The stability is quite good. There is not much maintenance really required. If it's on your desktop and something goes wrong, it is usually available to repair again. You don't need anyone else to maintain it.

I previously used the Sparx System Enterprise Architect, but my experience with it was limited. It was discontinued because they stopped the licensing.

The installation was straightforward. It takes about five to ten minutes and you can do it yourself.

I implemented myself.

I pay for the license and it is very expensive. If you're only going to use this tool from time to time, you can save money by just using the available online tools. But if you plan on using it heavily, then it's worth it to invest.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate this product an eight out of ten. I recommend this product to others because it's a useful tool for designers and architects.

Santosh Kurakula
Group DWH and BI Senior Manager at Virgin Mobile Middle East and Africa
Easy to use, flexible, and responsive support

What is our primary use case?

Visio is mainly used for documentation purposes. For example, drawing flow charts or network diagrams. It can also be used for defining schemas or application development. In my organization, people from multiple departments use it, especially the IT team. They prepare documentation on the network architecture. Additionally, the data team uses it to create flow charts, sequence diagrams, and schemas.

What is most valuable?

The solution is easy to understand with some hands-on experience.

What needs improvement?

Microsoft should include Visio as part of their Office 365 offering.

I have used Visio for approximately 10 years.

The solution is stable. …

What is our primary use case?

What is most valuable?

The solution is easy to understand with some hands-on experience.

What needs improvement?

Microsoft should include Visio as part of their Office 365 offering.

I have used Visio for approximately 10 years.

The solution is stable.

The solution is scalable and flexible.

We have approximately 15 people using the solution.

Microsoft technical support is convenient. They have an online community for Visio and if we have created a ticket with the support they always respond promptly. We have not had any problems with the support.

The installation is easy, it only takes approximately five minutes. You only need to go to the vendor website and download an executable file and then it is straightforward.

We did the implementation ourselves. The solution does not require a technical team for implementation.

You can purchase a corporate license for more users to use the solution. We have purchased a stand-alone license and which could be cheaper.

What other advice do I have?

I rate Visio a nine out of ten.

SM
Asistent at a computer software company with 10,001+ employees
Basic process diagramming tool

• "The valuable feature about Visio is it has all the basic tools for creating processes."
  • "Visio's scalability could be improved. I had a license through my school and it would have been great to be able to collaborate with more people."

What is our primary use case?

My primary use case of Visio is diagramming. It's useful for diagramming any type of process you would want to describe.

What is most valuable?

What needs improvement?

Visio's scalability could be improved. I had a license through my school and it would have been great to be able to collaborate with more people.

As for additional features, all these tools differ and Visio has the basics. I don't think it needs to be something more because it's Visio, it's a Microsoft product.

I have been using Visio for two years.

The stability is okay.

The scalability could be improved. When I was in school, it wasn't possible to collaborate with others.

I have never contacted Microsoft's technical support.

The installation was straightforward and I had no problems. It's the same installation process as other Microsoft software: you pay for it, a few clicks, and you're there.

I implemented this solution myself.

Visio is the cheapest solution because it has the basics. Everyone starts with Visio for designing processes because doing it in PowerPoint is a mess. I'm still a student, so I don't pay for licensing.

What other advice do I have?

I rate Visio a five out of ten. When I need to do something simple, Visio is okay. I would recommend this solution to others.

MA
Systems Administrator at a government with 201-500 employees
It is stable and easy to set up

• "It is stable. I have never experienced any issues."
  • "It can be complex. If you don't know a little bit about it, it can get really confusing."

What is our primary use case?

I mostly use it for network diagrams. It is a standard solution for creating this kind of stuff.

What is most valuable?

It is stable. I have never experienced any issues.

What needs improvement?

It can be complex. If you don't know a little bit about it, it can get really confusing.

I have been using Visio off and on for around 15 years.

It is stable.

We have around ten users from IT, engineering, and HR. HR uses it for flow charts or organization charts.

I have never used their technical support.

It has always been Visio. The first one I used was in 2003.

The initial setup was straightforward.

I haven't looked at the prices lately. We have an older copy, and it was a couple of hundred dollars for this software. That's a huge expense.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate Visio an eight out of ten, and that's just because I don't know how to use it fully. I know it does a whole lot. It has plenty of training. I wish I had more time to actually get really good at it.