Brian Ray
Systems Engineer at Perspecta
The system keeps track of each of its connections which has simplified the process for us

• "It keeps track of its connections as you move things around."
  • "System architecture could be improved."

What is our primary use case?

I use this solution as a graphic design tool for breaking down a flow or process. I'm a systems engineer and customer of Visio.

What is most valuable?

I like the fact that as you drag and move things around, everything keeps track of each of its connections. So you don't have to be bothered by mechanics of connecting things again in the right place. It just follows on. It's also a good diagramming tool.

What needs improvement?

I've had a variety of issues, usually related to the system architecture. It's almost like a general purpose tool but it's important to understand the interfaces and the components and how they're related to each other. It would be helpful if you could layer things easily for the diagrams so you can decompose a given object and see it both at the macro and at the breakout level and still have those kinds of connections would remain.

I've been using this solution for 10 years.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate this solution an eight out of 10.

OR
Management Consulting Director at a consultancy with 201-500 employees
Good interface and good tool configuration; layout configuration is sometimes difficult to use

• "Good interface and good tool configuration."
  • "Layout configuration is sometimes a little difficult to use."

What is our primary use case?

I'm a business management consultant.

What is most valuable?

The product has a good interface and tool configuration which comes with the Microsoft Office package. Another advantage is that you don't need to be an expert to use the tool. It's actually very easy and doesn't require a technical background so you can make any business process in a very easy way. Once you finish the layout business process, it can be sent to a client and visualized in a webpage without the need to download any other application. With other softwares, like ArchiMate, you need to download the application in order to view it. As a consultant when you finish the process, you need to send it in PDF format or something similar and your counterpart can view the file without any further configuration or further downloads.

What needs improvement?

For professional use layout configuration is sometimes a little difficult to use. I think that the applications could be improved, so that Microsoft Visio is linked in the modeling of applications and algorithms.

What other advice do I have?

I rate this solution a seven out of 10.

Learn what your peers think about Visio. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: November 2021.
554,676 professionals have used our research since 2012.
BG
Portfolio Architect at a insurance company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Uncomplicated installation, many templates available, but modern update needed

What is our primary use case?

We use Visio in my organization to create architecture diagrams.

What is most valuable?

Visio has allowed us to create good diagrams for our technical employees to consume. The solution provides templates, is straightforward, and has tools for the easy creation of diagrams.

What needs improvement?

The solution could improve by making it more modern.

I have used Visio for approximately 15 years.

Every group in my organization can use Visio and approximately 150 people use it. It is a tool that design engineers and architects teams use most. We have approximately 150 people that use it.

I have not needed…

What is our primary use case?

We use Visio in my organization to create architecture diagrams.

What is most valuable?

What needs improvement?

The solution could improve by making it more modern.

I have used Visio for approximately 15 years.

I have not needed technical support.

The installation is not complex.

The price of Visio is reasonable.

What other advice do I have?

I rate Visio a seven out of ten.

Dwayne McKie
Business Process Manager at a maritime company with 5,001-10,000 employees
Very good process modeling and very stable at a reasonable cost

• "Process modeling is a good feature."
  • "Lacks an interface with workflow capability."

What is our primary use case?

I'm the business process manager and we are customers of Visio.

What is most valuable?

The process modeling is a valuable feature for us.

What needs improvement?

The solution could include better modeling and an interface with workflow capability, better integration would make the Visio to Power Automate connection a lot better. I'd like to see a feature that would enable the creation of a library of process models that could be linked to roles within the organization.

I've been using this solution for ten years.

The solution is very stable.

I think licensing costs are reasonable.

What other advice do I have?

If you're looking for a business process modeling tool, there are other options out there designed with that in mind. Visio is a good general diagram tool, but not specifically for business process management.

I rate Visio eight out of 10.

NS
Storage Engineer at a tech services company with 201-500 employees
Easy to use, simple installation, and responsive support

What is most valuable?

Visio is easy to use.

What needs improvement?

The solution could improve by having more integration.

I have been using Visio for approximately one year.

Visio is stable.

I have found Visio to be scalable.

The support for Visio is very good. Microsoft always fixes bugs or problems quickly.

The installation is easy.

The solution could be less expensive.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this solution to others. I rate Visio a ten out of ten. …

What is most valuable?

Visio is easy to use.

What needs improvement?

The solution could improve by having more integration.

I have been using Visio for approximately one year.

Visio is stable.

I have found Visio to be scalable.

The installation is easy.

The solution could be less expensive.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this solution to others.

I rate Visio a ten out of ten.