Visio Overview

Visio is the #1 ranked solution in our list of top Mind Mapping Software. It is most often compared to Bizagi: Visio vs Bizagi

What is Visio?
Microsoft Visio is an advanced diagramming solution that helps IT professionals simplify, connect, and share information. Visio provides tools and resources for interpreting, acting upon, updating, and sharing complex information about IT processes, infrastructure, and applications - effectively and efficiently.

Visio is also known as Microsoft Visio.

Visio Buyer's Guide

Download the Visio Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: June 2021

Visio Customers
Thomas College, Hamburg Port Authority, Portigon AG, Conseil G_n_ral du d_partement des Hautes-Alpes, AAA Auto a. s., Commonwealth Financial Network, ICA, Abu Dhabi National Energy Company
Visio Video

Pricing Advice

What users are saying about Visio pricing:
  • "The licensing process is actually a breeze. Simply buy the license and download it from Microsoft, enter the license key in Visio to activate the software, and you're done."
  • "We're in a Visio plan that is like $15 a month per user. At the moment, it is just the standard licensing fees that I'm aware of."

Michael Barg
Principal Consultant at Lexington Consulting
Provides a quick way to spruce up client reports and proposals with rudimentary yet impactful visuals

What is our primary use case?

I use Visio when I'm writing a client report in Microsoft Word, and I want to put in a simple graphic to supplement the text or better explain something. Visio's graphics are not complicated. They're quick and easy to create, so I use them mainly for what I would call static graphics, like simple charts and diagrams.

• "Visio has improved my workflow by making it easy to create charts, diagrams, and basic illustrations that I can use in my client reports and proposals. It has saved me a lot of time I would otherwise spend creating visuals for clients by hand."
  • "There could be better integration between Visio and Word, especially when it comes to importing graphics from the one to the other."

What other advice do I have?

I like to call Visio a program for the graphically impaired. I use it because I hate spending lots of time preparing graphics. I would recommend skipping any fancier alternatives. Most people might benefit from adding quality visuals to their documents but don't have design skills. In that case, I recommend using Visio instead. As long as you don't have excessive expectations, it will do what you need it to do and do it for a reasonable cost. I would rate Visio an eight out of ten.
TH
Director of Mortgage Banking Projects at a writing and editing position with 1-10 employees
Easy to set up, simple to navigate, and offers good stability

What is our primary use case?

My use case could be anything. What I like to use Visio for is business process design work. Even when we're doing a systems implementation project, I'll use it. One of the things that I tell my clients is that "Before you implement a system, you really need to check your business processes that the system is automating, to make sure that you're not automating a bad process." Therefore, we have a whole methodology on how to do business process design sessions, facilitated sessions. The outcome of those sessions is documented largely in Vizio. Sometimes, for example, if I've got a good person… more »

• "It's a very meat and potatoes type of product and isn't overly designed. It's very easy to find your way through the solution, as it's not too complicated."
  • "Occasionally, the automation feature that helps you easily add the "next step" goes crazy and it will move a bunch of stuff."

What other advice do I have?

I'm a consultant. I tend to use the latest version of the solution. I try to keep everything up to date. That said, I'm unsure as to which version I'm on right now. We're a small consulting shop. Right now, there's three of us and the roles are generally around facilitating business process design sessions. That's what we usually do is. Typically, I will stand up and facilitate with the client. We'll have a room full of clients - maybe 10, and sometimes it has the vendor - and our team. I will facilitate, we'll capture all of the discussions. We'll put everything on sticky notes, on a wall…
Learn what your peers think about Visio. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: June 2021.
521,189 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Vaibhav-Kumar
Assistant Manager in Strategic Consulting at Metlife
Provides Key Collaboration With Other Microsoft Applications Like SharePoint and Excel

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case for Visio revolves around business process re-engineering, as-is process, to-be-processed, and then time and motion study, value stream mapping, and in collaboration with everything together.

• "Visio has improved our organization through an essential collaboration with the other Microsoft applications like SharePoint and Excel. So basically in the earlier days, what used to happen, a majority of the organization captured all the as-is process, the time and motion data in the form of Excel and then they used to create process diagrams using other freeware applications. Collaboration allows easy and convenient sharing with other stakeholders, that is really helpful with Visio."
  • "The one particular thing which I would like to see improved is in comparison to other products in the market, and is still lacking in Visio, is publishing on a web application. For example, there is a freeware application business process modeling tool, Bizagi."
  • "I would like to see included in the next release is the implementation of web publishing."

What other advice do I have?

The only additional advice I would give, Visio is one very powerful tool in the market. Not just the application, but also its effectiveness to collaborate with other applications. Everyone is using Microsoft applications; it's how you work across platforms, and this collaboration makes life easy. The individual applications have a lot of functions an features that's the reason why each of these applications is quite complex. You need to understand the functions before getting the full value of this tool. On a scale of 1 to 10, with ten being the best I would rate this product an eight-over…
MM
Solutions Architect at a financial services firm with 10,001+ employees
Easy to set up with good technical support and excellent stability

What is our primary use case?

I'm an architect; I primarily use Visio for drawing diagrams.

• "The initial setup is pretty easy."
  • "The application could be lighter or it could be faster with documents."

What other advice do I have?

I'm not sure what type of business relationship our company has with Visio. My role usually revolves around working with Visio and various website engines. I'm not sure which version of the solution we're using. One of the key things for a company considering Visio would be to establish some guidelines for how Visio should be used and how it's used to augment existing workflows for the customer company. For users, it would just be to gain comfort with the tool shortcuts and get to know the tools, strengths, and any weaknesses. That you may perceive and just understand them and the solution…
Stanislav Drastich
Mentor at Agricultural Paying Agency
Good stability, and scales well, but has a lot of patching that you need to keep up with

• "If you are a knowledgeable individual, the initial setup isn't too difficult."
  • "There are a lot of patches that sometimes change how one version will interact compared to another."

What other advice do I have?

I primarily use the solution myself for my own projects. I'm a customer and end-users. In general, I would rate the solution at a six out of ten. I would recommend this product, however, at the same time, I suggest to everybody to know and practically use several tools, so as to keep up their overall knowledge and skills. For some purposes, it is easier and more reliable to use one tool, and for other purposes, it is more reliable to use another. I do not recommend to anybody globally to work alone with one tool, separately from all the world.
Kerry Smith
Sr. Industrial Hygienist at a manufacturing company with 10,001+ employees
Helps with organization by facilitating diagramming of complex procedures

What is our primary use case?

I am a health and safety professional. I use it for flowcharting, but I also use it for drawing diagrams. I will do a technical assessment of a workplace scenario of equipment as well as noise measurements, and I will use Visio to draw out the scale. There are many images that you can put in there and data to create images of workplace exposures.

• "It works really well for flowcharting, it can label."
  • "It should be easier to transition into a new version without having to spend so much time in just one area."

What other advice do I have?

If you have a need for flowcharting, organizing, or creating diagrams, I think you should check it out. It's worthwhile. Based on my previous experience with the previous versions, I would rate Visio a nine out of ten.
Alberto Hidalgo
Project Development at INECO
Intuitive with an easy setup and a good interface

What is our primary use case?

I primarily use the solution to make new core designs. I connect the designs to the projects I'm involved with.

• "The solution makes it very easy to make exciting pictures and designs. Everything is very intuitive and simple to figure out."
  • "The user interface could be more robust."

What other advice do I have?

I'm using the latest version of the solution. I use Visio now, and I'll use it going forward. I imagine I'll always use it. I have used AutoCAD, however, I prefer Visio. It's my favorite as I'm so comfortable with all of the aspects of the solution after working with it for so long. Overall, I'd rate the solution nine out of ten.
Xavier-Rodriguez
Infrastructure Architect at CandX Consulting
Phenomenal built-in templates, very stable, and easy and quick to deploy

What is our primary use case?

Company-wide, it is used a lot for flow charts. From an IT perspective, we use it quite a bit for network diagrams and documentation. The Human Resources team uses it for organizational charts. In terms of deployment, we have a kind of mixed deployment. I tend to use an on-prem version that is loaded directly on my machine. We are all Office 365, so a bulk of our users use it as a cloud-based downloadable solution, which is a part of their Office 365 implementation.

• "A lot of built-in templates are really phenomenal. They cut down the time when you're trying to get something out. They reduce the complexity that technical folks like to put into things that have to be given to technical folks."
  • "Some of the improvements that have been made in Visio have not been beneficial, at least to me, personally. Too many things have been added to it, and it makes it kind of clunky sometimes. There is an overwhelming desire or competition to continue to improve it when the product is and has been pretty good, and some of what is done tends to clutter it. In some cases, the updates make it more difficult to use. It is already pretty feature-heavy and continuing to add stuff is not productive from my perspective."

What other advice do I have?

Be aware that it is easy to get lost in all the different things to do with it. I would rate Visio a nine out of ten.
See 34 more Visio Reviews