Visio Overview

Visio is the #1 ranked solution in our list of top Mind Mapping Software. It is most often compared to Bizagi: Visio vs Bizagi

What is Visio?
Microsoft Visio is an advanced diagramming solution that helps IT professionals simplify, connect, and share information. Visio provides tools and resources for interpreting, acting upon, updating, and sharing complex information about IT processes, infrastructure, and applications - effectively and efficiently.

Visio is also known as Microsoft Visio.

Visio Buyer's Guide

Download the Visio Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: May 2021

Visio Customers
Thomas College, Hamburg Port Authority, Portigon AG, Conseil G_n_ral du d_partement des Hautes-Alpes, AAA Auto a. s., Commonwealth Financial Network, ICA, Abu Dhabi National Energy Company
Visio Video

Filter Archived Reviews (More than two years old)

Kayle Oliver
Business App Analyst at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employees
A professional tool for business analysis process development with flowchart design

What is our primary use case?

Without this product, I would struggle to do my work. That is as a business analyst. I use it to develop all of my processes.

• "I enjoy the fact that I can go into detail with Visio. In shared communications, I can inspect for any fault in my processes."
  • "Transferring data was one of the issues that I expected Visio to have resolved. I use the older version."

What other advice do I have?

I would tell somebody considering this solution to understand why you want to use the product in the first place and have a clear understanding of what your goals are. What would you like to achieve with having that product? Ensure that the goals are measurable, then implement. I would rate Visio a seven or an eight.
Ahmed Hussien
Tally Operations Manager at a financial services firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
Intuitive and doesn't take much time to make a complete and sophisticated flow chat from end to end

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use Visio as a flow chart software solution.

• "It is easy to learn and implement."
  • "It does not integrate well with other solutions."

What other advice do I have?

I rate Visio as an eight out of ten on a very conservative scale. It is an 8 for ease of use, efficiency, and flexibility. It's not 9 of 10 because it lacks integration functions. If you have a team that is not sophisticated or oriented to flowcharts, or if you don't have a lot of time to train these people, I guess Visio comes in handy as a very easy solution. When I started to train people on Visio, it didn't take more than two or three days. Even people who use iGraphics for years don't know all the features or know that they exist.
Learn what your peers think about Visio. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: May 2021.
510,882 professionals have used our research since 2012.
FB
Delivery Manager at a transportation company with 51-200 employees
Good for developing proposals, but falls short on features for business process mapping

What is our primary use case?

This solution is primarily used for architecture diagramming, process flow, and process mapping. We work on engineering projects, including software development projects, and this solution is used to create proposals for customers.

• "Putting details into the process flow and being able to link other objects into the diagrams are very helpful features."
  • "I would like to be able to present diagrams in multiple ways, such as a Swimlane diagram."

What other advice do I have?

If you know how to use Visio and you know what you want to get as an output, then it's very helpful and easy. But, for beginners, or for anyone who wants to prepare a more informative diagram, I'm not sure if Visio is a very helpful tool. Once you have hands-on experience then it is easy to figure out. I would rate this solution a six out of ten.
MJ
Management Analysis and Control Advisor at VdM
Draws BPMN diagrams but lacks timing features

What is our primary use case?

Process modeling.

How has it helped my organization?

It's not easy to share and modify by colleagues.

What is most valuable?

Drawing BPMN diagrams.

What needs improvement?

Sharing, and add timing features.

More than five years.
CE
Enterprise Architect Analyst with 1-10 employees
Helps us to quickly visualize the architecture, but needs traceability

What is our primary use case?

Documenting the enterprise architecture.

How has it helped my organization?

Helps us to quickly visualize the architecture.

What is most valuable?

The ability to draw models quickly.

What needs improvement?

I would like to see traceability. It doesn't have it. You cannot find one object amongst several sheets of Visio diagrams.

Three to five years.

The stability is good. It's stable.

I find that it's very scalable from a small organization to a large organization.

What other advice do I have?

To determine what product or solution you're looking for, talk to many vendors and get their…
it_user850341
Manager, Front End Applications at Henry Schein animal health
User
Visualizes complex data and process flows

What is our primary use case?

We design architectural and business flows for web/eCommerce and ERP systems.  We design web architectures, UML, and ERD.

How has it helped my organization?

Its ability to visualize complex data and process flows. We can easily add templates to SharePoint for collaboration.

What is most valuable?

The diagramming and swimlane features allow for separating business functions. Also, the web page architecture helps.

What needs improvement?

It needs hyperlinked or narratives for page flows to make demos more effective. It could use easier custom icon sets.

More than five years.
John ONeill
Principle consultant at Active Data Consulting Services Pty Ltd
​Offers a wide range of diagramming tools to map a business process

What other advice do I have?

Does what it says on the tin, produces very nice standardized diagrams, and has some very powerful tools.
it_user710529
Sr. Developer Relations Engineer at a tech company with 201-500 employees
Valuable features include different chart options and the ease of building them up

What is most valuable?

Valuable features for me include the different chart options and the ease of building them up.

How has it helped my organization?

It was very useful for the high level and detailed design phases of my projects.

What needs improvement?

There are some performance issues on a different operating system which could be improved.

I have been using the product for three years. It is used, mostly, for design phases.

The product is very stable.

The product is highly scalable for the design.

Not applicable.

It is very easy to…
it_user708486
Multimedia Solutions Architect at a tech services company with 501-1,000 employees
I use it primarily to create functional drawings. I would like the ability to change quickly between tools.

What other advice do I have?

Whatever you use, it has to work for you. If the GUI is not intuitive from your point of view, you won't want to use it, and it won't be a good investment.
IT System Engineer at a recruiting/HR firm with 501-1,000 employees
we have been able to put on paper our network design, server room setup, and network connections

What other advice do I have?

When using this tool, research your current vendors and manufacturers to get their most up to date shapes and vectors, so you can always design or draft your Visio projects using the most accurate picture.
IT Business Analyst / Solution Designer at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
It eases the standardization of the Business Process Model within multi-disciplinary teams

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend anyone looking into purchasing this product to review thoroughly each version features as both are quite similar.
Information Technology Coord at a tech services company
I find the library of shapes very helpful. The layering feature is not easy to work with.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend first determining the needs of the company and what the expectations are for the software. I would then view basic training videos available, to truly see if their needs aligns with the features and outputs of the software program.
Business Consultant at a financial services firm
Templates provide a wide variety of the commonly used graphics

What other advice do I have?

It is fantastic, but avoid making flow charts a full-time job.
Wissam H
Change Management Consultant at a analyst firm with self employed
It is a robust tool for quick mapping. It is not user friendly when it comes to handling large number of processes.

What other advice do I have?

Microsoft Visio is a robust tool for quick mapping. However, it is not user friendly when it comes to handling large number of processes. The details that can be entered into the activities are limited. There is no option to create/define roles and functions as well as their hierarchy. Also, there is no option to enter control notes (other than the simple note tool). Also, there is no option to extract the process as a Word document. There is no option to convert the process flow into an SOP format. Creating custom templates within company’s brand specifications is difficult as well.
Download our free Visio Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.