Visio OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Visio is #1 ranked solution in top Mind Mapping Software and #4 ranked solution in Business Process Design tools. IT Central Station users give Visio an average rating of 8 out of 10. Visio is most commonly compared to Bizagi:Visio vs Bizagi. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a computer software company, accounting for 19% of all views.
What is Visio?
Microsoft Visio is an advanced diagramming solution that helps IT professionals simplify, connect, and share information. Visio provides tools and resources for interpreting, acting upon, updating, and sharing complex information about IT processes, infrastructure, and applications - effectively and efficiently.

Visio is also known as Microsoft Visio.

Visio Buyer's Guide

Download the Visio Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: November 2021

Visio Customers
Thomas College, Hamburg Port Authority, Portigon AG, Conseil G_n_ral du d_partement des Hautes-Alpes, AAA Auto a. s., Commonwealth Financial Network, ICA, Abu Dhabi National Energy Company
Visio Video

Archived Visio Reviews (more than two years old)

PL
Operations Manager at a tech services company with 501-1,000 employees
It is stable and scalable but the interface needs to improve interaction with other tools

What is our primary use case?

I like to use Visio because it gives me a quick view of the things I had to put in a model for a company. I don't use it as an interface, though.

What needs improvement?

Something that needs to improve is the interface interaction with other tools.

I have been using Visio for around ten years now.

The program is very stable. I've had no issues with it.

The solution is scalable.

I don't use technical support. I only use the documentations, the scheme and the use of the symbols.

When I work at companies, they've already…

What is our primary use case?

What needs improvement?

Something that needs to improve is the interface interaction with other tools.

I have been using Visio for around ten years now.

The program is very stable. I've had no issues with it.

The solution is scalable.

When I work at companies, they've already installed and prepared the program for me. So I never have to install it for myself.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this solution to others because it gives you a quick view. You can demonstrate in a short period what you want from the managers. Sometimes, however, the program is not compatible with some protocol standards, like ArchiMate. So I would like to see a better interface in the future. On a scale from one to 10, I rate Visio a seven.

Andrew-Lim
Managing Director at Andrew Lim Consulting
Easy-to-use features for creating BPMN diagrams

• "The Data Objects are hyperlinked to the Standard Operating Procedures, Letters, and Forms."
  • "The Auto-Align has improved significantly from the previous release; however, it still jumbles the model if your process diagram has a fair degree of complexity."

What is our primary use case?

I have used Visio Professional to model business process to BPMN 2.0 standard in the Logistic and Insurance Industry. Visio has been an easy-to-use modeling tool for Logistic processes, Complaints processes, Compensation Recoveries processes, Insurance processes, and Finance processes. The modeling of the As-Is process allows process analysis to design an efficient To-be process.

How has it helped my organization?

Visio is used to model and communicate the business process.

As with all process modeling software when used correctly, it has the following benefits:

• Swimlanes enable clear accountability and responsibility.
  • The Data Objects are hyperlinked to the Standard Operating Procedures, Letters, and Forms.
  • The Data Store is linked to the CRM/ERP system.
  • The task types assigned to the task enables the identification of improvement opportunities.

What is most valuable?

The ability to create BPMN Diagrams with the Visio Professional, the ability to import Rules from the BPMN 2.0 Rule Set, and Check the diagram according to the BPMN 2.0 rules are the most valuable features.

The Align features are easy to use and keep the diagram neat and tidy as you model the business process with the stakeholders in process discovery workshops. You need to be pretty competent to be able to map the process on the spot.

The access to commonly used features with the right click of the mouse and F8 (Align) are the best features.

What needs improvement?

For older version of Visio Professional, not all BPMN 2.0 Elements are available.

The Auto-Align has improved significantly from the previous release; however, you may still find the auto align features lacking if your process diagram has a fair degree of complexity. My suggestion is to keep your process model straight forward and use the intermediate Link Event or End Signal Event to break up, simplify or connect the the rest of the process map.

I have been using this solution for five years.

This is a stable solution. When working with a complex process model, ensure that your computer has sufficient RAM to support multiple software and multiple displays (three monitors) running concurrently.

Scalability is not applicable.

I have not required customer service or technical support in using Visio.

Visio is the first software that I used to start modeling business processes.

The initial setup of this solution was straight forward.

This solution was implemented in-house through the IT Support Team.

The ROI for this solution is hard to quantify.

The cost of the software is reasonably priced.

I did not evaluate other options before choosing this solution.

What other advice do I have?

If you are considering modeling business process to BPMN 2.0 standards, you must purchase the Visio Professional version as the Standard version does not include the BPMN functionality.

Learn what your peers think about Visio. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: November 2021.
552,407 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Vaibhav-Kumar
Assistant Manager in Strategic Consulting at Metlife
Provides Key Collaboration With Other Microsoft Applications Like SharePoint and Excel

• "Visio has improved our organization through an essential collaboration with the other Microsoft applications like SharePoint and Excel. So basically in the earlier days, what used to happen, a majority of the organization captured all the as-is process, the time and motion data in the form of Excel and then they used to create process diagrams using other freeware applications. Collaboration allows easy and convenient sharing with other stakeholders, that is really helpful with Visio."
  • "The one particular thing which I would like to see improved is in comparison to other products in the market, and is still lacking in Visio, is publishing on a web application. For example, there is a freeware application business process modeling tool, Bizagi."
  • "I would like to see included in the next release is the implementation of web publishing."

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case for Visio revolves around business process re-engineering, as-is process, to-be-processed, and then time and motion study, value stream mapping, and in collaboration with everything together.

How has it helped my organization?

Visio has improved our organization through an essential collaboration with the other Microsoft applications like SharePoint and Excel. In the earlier days, what used to happen was that a majority of the organization captured all the as-is processes, the time and motion data in the form of Excel and then they used to create process diagrams using other freeware applications. However, collaboration allows easy and convenient sharing with other stakeholders, that is really helpful with Visio.

What is most valuable?

The features I find most valuable are the integration with the other Microsoft applications, specifically Excel.

What needs improvement?

The one particular thing which I would like to see improved is in comparison to other products in the market, and is still lacking in Visio, is publishing on a web application. For example, there is a freeware application business process modeling tool, Bizagi. This tool has a very good interface. It also provides visibility allowing users to publish on SharePoint directly. Then the entire product gets converted into an HTML format which provides a one-click on all the attributes of every task, a detailed description, direct visibility, which I find is still lacking in Visio.

An additional feature I would like to see included in the next release is the implementation of web publishing. For example, for any task or any flowchart diagram that I create, example "talk to the customer." Now using "talk to the customer," return adding attribute like "this is a step-by-step document file that you should follow" or "these are the setup questions that you should follow while talking to a customer."

These documents can be attached to that specific task, and when I submit this on the web, users will get all the description, along with the attachment.

5 years

As far as the stability of the solution I think it still needs to grow up when it comes to the interface usage.

My impressions of the scalability of this solution on a scale of one to five I would rate the scalability a 3.5, with five being the highest.

I know of 50 users working with this tool. Some of them are engineers. For the people who are not technically sound, for them, they find Visio quite complicated so they try to avoid using it. That is still where Visio needs to grow. In terms of user interaction, UX, and user interface. There is some obstructive complexity.

I did use previous solutions, like as I mentioned one of them was Bizagi Modeler, which is growing in the market. Currently, I'm using IBM Blue.

The reason why there was a switch from Microsoft Visio was because of the user interface and easiness to UX. It's a complete BPMN solution, however, Visio can be used for multiple purposes. Now depending on the kind of audience, it was quite easy for them to use Bizagi Modeler. That's the reason why I introduced Bizagi Modeler in my organization.

After switching organizations, I've found that Microsoft Visio was quite challenging and a little too complicated for the users. Irrespective of understanding the complete utilization and the power of the tool, people are switching to different solutions, so we were using IBM Blueworks.

The initial setup was straightforward. It's quite easy. I worked on a couple of projects which took two or three months to complete because they required extensive organizational level detail, like from top to bottom. Using Visio, it's quite easy and I like it.

The IT team takes care of the installation and deployment of Visio.

Before choosing I did a market evaluation. I performed a needs evaluation as the first step in our market evaluation. We considered what kind of solution we wanted and if it was okay to go with a freeware solution or is it right to go with the licensed software. Initially, we were Microsoft Platinum Partners, so that's why we had Microsoft Visio well established in our organization. However, again, when it comes to the kind of usage and along with the maturity of the process that we had, it was a simple move from my end because you're paying for a license and if you do not use the overall potential of it, including the user interface, I think it's not worth to pay for those applications.

What other advice do I have?

The only additional advice I would give, Visio is one very powerful tool in the market. Not just the application, but also its effectiveness to collaborate with other applications. Everyone is using Microsoft applications; it's how you work across platforms, and this collaboration makes life easy.

The individual applications have a lot of functions an features that's the reason why each of these applications is quite complex. You need to understand the functions before getting the full value of this tool.

On a scale of 1 to 10, with ten being the best I would rate this product an eight-over ten because it's a tool what works in collaboration with other applications very well. I'm deducting two marks because it's still complicated for the very generic user. The solution should be developed with a variety of end users in mind. It needs to be user-friendly and easier to use for all different kinds of users and user experience levels.

Kayle Oliver
Business App Analyst at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employees
A professional tool for business analysis process development with flowchart design

• "I enjoy the fact that I can go into detail with Visio. In shared communications, I can inspect for any fault in my processes."
  • "Transferring data was one of the issues that I expected Visio to have resolved. I use the older version."

What is our primary use case?

Without this product, I would struggle to do my work. That is as a business analyst. I use it to develop all of my processes.

How has it helped my organization?

I have no issues with Visio from an end-user perspective. It is our environment. It's not utilized by too many users, about three or four end-users every week now.

What is most valuable?

I enjoy the fact that I can go into detail with Visio. In shared communications, I can inspect for any fault in my processes. That's what I enjoy the most.

What needs improvement?

Transferring data was one of the issues that I expected Visio to have resolved. I use the older version. I'm not sure if the later versions have already addressed some of the issues.

To improve Visio, make it easier to transfer into other Microsoft products. For example, if I copy a Visio diagram into Word. If I open it in the Word version, it doesn't work so well.

I have been using Visio for about six years.

Visio's stability is the best I've ever used. I compare it with other tools that are out there. There's some competing software that has a lot of features. I am very happy with the stability of this application.

I'm sure Visio is very scalable. From my personal use, I've had absolutely no issues with scalability. I'm able to go on and develop complex processes.

I haven't, fortunately, had to engage with Visio's technical support.

Some people prefer to use Flow. Some people prefer to use Draw.io. I also used Draw.io a little bit and found it tedious to use. It is not as user-friendly and I found my way back to using Visio.

The installation was straightforward.

It was a couple of in-house IT guys that came over to do the installation.

What other advice do I have?

I would tell somebody considering this solution to understand why you want to use the product in the first place and have a clear understanding of what your goals are. What would you like to achieve with having that product? Ensure that the goals are measurable, then implement.

I would rate Visio a seven or an eight.

Ahmed Hussien
Tally Operations Manager at a financial services firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
Intuitive and doesn't take much time to make a complete and sophisticated flow chat from end to end

• "It is easy to learn and implement."
  • "It does not integrate well with other solutions."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use Visio as a flow chart software solution.

What is most valuable?

The application makes plotting and flowcharting very easy and very user-friendly. It is intuitive and doesn't take any time to make a complete and sophisticated flow chat from end to end. We are considering shifting completely from iGraphics to Visio Pro for office 365. I'm good in Visio, but I'm not an expert in iGraphics, so more comparison is necessary to define which solution is better.

The main feature of Visio and Autodesk that makes it attractive is that using Visio for just a week or two, people found that it's easier and more user-friendly in terms of flowcharting. The shapes library is much easier, the integration between Visio and other Microsoft Office tools is instantaneous.

The concerns were that Visio did not have all the necessary features. In iGraphics, for example, you may add a command in the flow charts and add a note for a specific activity. When exporting it into a PDF, these notes get mentioned with the chart number so it's very easy to refer back to each note. It is a bit more efficient for reference without any extra effort. This was one of the features that they were missing in Visio.

iGraphics has a compulsory function which creates a complete reference and a complete library of all the processes related to my enterprise, my organization, in certain shapes or hierarchies. It's very handy and very easy to reference.

This is not as straightforward in Visio. Visio can compensate for this and have these processes in the same hierarchy. It is just related to collaboration. I can check the changes in the processes and models using the tracking feature.

What needs improvement?

There are not a lot of things that need to be improved in Visio from the user's perspective, but maybe some functions are missing. For example, migrating flow charts from iGraphics should be easier. When checking on some forums, some users mention data converters — so that may be a possibility. But it is not an official Microsoft solution for migrating the igx or the iGraphics flow charts to a Visio flow chart. It's a drawback, and it's a very big drawback. If we are not going to use Visio, the lack of integration would be for this reason. It's a show stopper for us right now.

The function that isn't integrated in Visio is having a share point. If I'm going share with somebody who's more knowledgeable about a particular aspect of a workflow, they have to know how to use the share point. This is a drawback. iGraphics doesn't need that. It's much easier.

More centralized integration would be desirable, but I believe that's not the direction Microsoft is taking with the product. If everybody moved to a cloud-based environment, a more centralized solution that catered to users to cut extra processes and functions, Visio would be perfect.

In short, integration and easier migration would be beneficial.

We have been using Visio for seven years.

It's very stable and has been since we implemented it.

It's easy to scale. We have not implemented permissions so that may be more complicated.

We didn't have to use it yet. We were considering a different support contact in order to find the solution to migration.

It's easy to set up. It's all straightforward, like any Microsoft installation.

I'm not involved in the financial decisions, so I can't calculate the actual value in return on investment. However, it saves time in training.

Pricing is related to the number of Microsoft licenses being served.

iGraphics was the solution which was in place, but the support contact with iGraphics ended. Because we needed to have a new contact and iGraphics is very expensive, we started to check other solutions for the flow charts. Many were also expensive. But Visio was the most cost-effective.

What other advice do I have?

I rate Visio as an eight out of ten on a very conservative scale. It is an 8 for ease of use, efficiency, and flexibility. It's not 9 of 10 because it lacks integration functions.

If you have a team that is not sophisticated or oriented to flowcharts, or if you don't have a lot of time to train these people, I guess Visio comes in handy as a very easy solution. When I started to train people on Visio, it didn't take more than two or three days.

Even people who use iGraphics for years don't know all the features or know that they exist.

FB
Delivery Manager at a transportation company with 51-200 employees
Good for developing proposals, but falls short on features for business process mapping

• "Putting details into the process flow and being able to link other objects into the diagrams are very helpful features."
  • "I would like to be able to present diagrams in multiple ways, such as a Swimlane diagram."

What is our primary use case?

This solution is primarily used for architecture diagramming, process flow, and process mapping. We work on engineering projects, including software development projects, and this solution is used to create proposals for customers.

How has it helped my organization?

Prior to using this solution, we would draw a proposed architecture in PowerPoint and submit it to the client. With Visio, I can explain it to them in a step by step manner. For example, I will take one block and go into detail about it. I can explain how the architecture works inside a block, which might include how each tier in a multitier architecture functions.

What is most valuable?

What needs improvement?

I would like to be able to present diagrams in multiple ways, such as a Swimlane diagram. Also, in other products such as TIBCO Nimbus, there are links that take you to a completely different diagram.

While I can use Visio for architectural diagrams and simple process mapping, there is room for improvement. The business process mapping capability would be really improved if we could link two completely different processes together. For example, in a company with multiple departments, I would like to have links between processes in the different departments.

I would also like to be able to embed objects into diagrams that can be opened by clicking on an icon. These are things like Excel or Word documents, or a PowerPoint presentation.

Eventually, the images or icons that we use in Visio will become obsolete, and we would like to have a way of suggesting new design options.

Between four and five years.

I have not worked with various versions of the solution, but from what I can see it is pretty stable.

Because I am the direct coordinator with the customer, I am the primary user of this software in my company.

This solution would be more scalable with this inclusion of additional features.

I don't normally use technical support. Rather, I check in Quora or in the forums.

We used to create PowerPoint presentations and submit them to the customer. They were not interactive, the way Visio is.

We used TIBCO Nimbus for our business consulting projects.

I was not involved in the installation because we do not have it installed on our company servers. Rather, the clients have it installed on their machines. I just access it remotely on the customers' servers.

We did not evaluate other solutions before implementing Visio.

What other advice do I have?

If you know how to use Visio and you know what you want to get as an output, then it's very helpful and easy. But, for beginners, or for anyone who wants to prepare a more informative diagram, I'm not sure if Visio is a very helpful tool. Once you have hands-on experience then it is easy to figure out.

I would rate this solution a six out of ten.

MJ
Management Analysis and Control Advisor at VdM
Draws BPMN diagrams but lacks timing features

What is our primary use case?

Process modeling.

How has it helped my organization?

It's not easy to share and modify by colleagues.

What is most valuable?

Drawing BPMN diagrams.

What needs improvement?

Sharing, and add timing features.

More than five years.

What is our primary use case?

Process modeling.

How has it helped my organization?

It's not easy to share and modify by colleagues.

What is most valuable?

Drawing BPMN diagrams.

What needs improvement?

Sharing, and add timing features.

CE
Enterprise Architect Analyst with 1-10 employees
Helps us to quickly visualize the architecture, but needs traceability

What is our primary use case?

Documenting the enterprise architecture.

How has it helped my organization?

Helps us to quickly visualize the architecture.

What is most valuable?

The ability to draw models quickly.

What needs improvement?

I would like to see traceability. It doesn't have it. You cannot find one object amongst several sheets of Visio diagrams.

Three to five years.

The stability is good. It's stable.

I find that it's very scalable from a small organization to a large organization.

What other advice do I have?

What is our primary use case?

Documenting the enterprise architecture.

How has it helped my organization?

Helps us to quickly visualize the architecture.

What is most valuable?

The ability to draw models quickly.

Three to five years.

The stability is good. It's stable.

What other advice do I have?

To determine what product or solution you're looking for, talk to many vendors and get their opinions.

The most important criterion, for me, when selecting a vendor, is customer service.

I would rate Visio at seven out of 10 but I would give it a 10 if it had traceability.

it_user850341
Manager, Front End Applications at Henry Schein animal health
User
Visualizes complex data and process flows

What is our primary use case?

We design architectural and business flows for web/eCommerce and ERP systems.  We design web architectures, UML, and ERD.

How has it helped my organization?

Its ability to visualize complex data and process flows. We can easily add templates to SharePoint for collaboration.

What is most valuable?

The diagramming and swimlane features allow for separating business functions. Also, the web page architecture helps.

What needs improvement?

It needs hyperlinked or narratives for page flows to make demos more effective. It could use easier custom icon sets.

More than five years.

What is our primary use case?

• We design architectural and business flows for web/eCommerce and ERP systems.
  • We design web architectures, UML, and ERD.

What is most valuable?

What needs improvement?

• It needs hyperlinked or narratives for page flows to make demos more effective.
  • It could use easier custom icon sets.

John ONeill
Principle consultant at Active Data Consulting Services Pty Ltd
​Offers a wide range of diagramming tools to map a business process

What is most valuable?

• Network diagrams tools
  • Flow charts

How has it helped my organization?

• Offers a wide range of diagramming tools.
  • Being able to visualize an architecture for a network solution.
  • Map a business process.
  • Document fitout of a rack solution for on-premise.
  • It allows the accurate recording and disseminating of information.

What needs improvement?

Importing templates can sometimes be a bit hit and miss.

More than five years

No, the product is quite straightforward to deploy.

Earlier versions would occasionally lock up, but recent editions have significantly improved performance.

I haven't pushed the limits of Visio. For what I have used it for, it has been able to handle everything I've thrown at it.

We've not had any need to raise a support issue in relation to Visio.

I can't comment on technical support for Visio. I haven't had to make any support tickets regarding it.

I used some basic open source drawing programs in the past, and came across Visio whilst looking to purchase Microsoft Office some years ago. I found it did everything I needed and never looked at anything else since.

Very straightforward.

In-house

Best way to express ROI for Visio would be the quick and consistent documentation that it helps create, provided that the product is used consistently for diagramming.

Just license alongside Office 365, the monthly fee is always up-to-date

What other advice do I have?

Does what it says on the tin, produces very nice standardized diagrams, and has some very powerful tools.

it_user710529
Sr. Developer Relations Engineer at a tech company with 201-500 employees
Valuable features include different chart options and the ease of building them up

What is most valuable?

Valuable features for me include the different chart options and the ease of building them up.

How has it helped my organization?

It was very useful for the high level and detailed design phases of my projects.

What needs improvement?

There are some performance issues on a different operating system which could be improved.

I have been using the product for three years. It is used, mostly, for design phases.

The product is very stable.

The product is highly scalable for the design.

Not applicable.

It is very easy to…

What needs improvement?

The product is very stable.

The product is highly scalable for the design.

Not applicable.

It is very easy to install. You just need to get the Microsoft license.

What other advice do I have?

This is great software for designing workflows for the HLD and DLD phases of the project.

it_user708486
Multimedia Solutions Architect at a tech services company with 501-1,000 employees
I use it primarily to create functional drawings. I would like the ability to change quickly between tools.

What is most valuable?

It is a good diagramming application. I am an AV systems design engineer. I use it primarily to create functional drawings. I also use it for the basic floor plan and wall elevation drawings.

How has it helped my organization?

I don't have to hand-sketch my engineering concepts. The work that I hand off to other departments is clear and easy to read.

What needs improvement?

The ability to change quickly between tools, such as pointer, connector, drawing, and text tools. Perhaps utilizing right-or-center clicking of the mouse could be an excellent addition. Also, the means of turning off Dynamic Grid by default would be a good thing.

Currently, it is on by default and has a habit of getting in the way of what I'm trying to do. A long-time Visio glitch involves the length of lines.

Sometimes, if I use the size and position window to enter a specific length of any type of line, including dimension lines, Visio simply takes it upon itself to make that line a different length of its choosing. This glitch has persisted in every version of Visio that I have used since Microsoft bought the product from its original developer.

I have been a Visio user since 1995.

In the sense that the product has been on the market for more than 25 years and is sold by Microsoft, it is very stable. In terms of its potential to destabilize my computer, it is not dangerous.

In companies where I have worked, its adoption rate among people in similar job functions to mine is often left to the individual. Some may be more comfortable using other solutions (Adobe Acrobat, AutoCAD). I have not seen the Visio product ever rolled out across an entire company's engineering staff. However, I suppose that this could happen.

Technical support is hit and miss. When glitches come up, it can be difficult to engage with a true expert on the Microsoft side. Some glitches in this product have persisted through the years, and versions, even when they are brought to the attention of the Microsoft Visio team.

Computers and OSs get old and need to be replaced. When they are replaced, the newest versions of any software are the ones that run best under the newest OSs.

I have the product on both my home and work PCs. My company's IT department handled the installation and setup of Visio 2013 on my work machine. At home, I installed and set up Visio 2017 with no problems.

We evaluated Microsoft and AutoDesk.

In my evaluation, my main criteria/question I asked was: "Do they have the best product to accomplish what I need to get done?"

What other advice do I have?

Whatever you use, it has to work for you. If the GUI is not intuitive from your point of view, you won't want to use it, and it won't be a good investment.

IT System Engineer at a recruiting/HR firm with 501-1,000 employees

What is most valuable?

The feature that I like the most, as simple as it may seem, is the addition of the vendor's vectors and shapes. I'm able to utilize the actual brands of our network appliances as devices to have a more accurate picture of our actual network and the server room setup.

How has it helped my organization?

By utilizing Visio, we have been able to put on paper our network design, server room setup, and network connections. It makes things a lot easier to troubleshoot and figure out where the issues, errors, or disconnects may be happening. This also helps when explaining to the upper management any questions in regards to our network environment.

What needs improvement?

At this point in time, it serves its purpose. I can't think of something that could be improved as of today. I'm sure there is something that can be improved, but nothing for my current needs.

I have been using Visio probably since 2008, so it has been almost 10 years now.

I, primarily, started using it in school to do basic network diagrams, but now I've used it to even draw out full floor plans for our network designs based on our building floor plan.

There were no stability issues experienced.

There were no scalability issues experienced.

I haven't requested any technical support for this tool. I'm sure it is great as I have used Microsoft Support in the past, and it has been great. So, I don't doubt that it would be the same for this product as well.

Previously, I was using PowerPoint. It was obvious why I switched over to this solution. It is the product that we needed back then when drafting the floor plans and networks.

The setup is just like any other Microsoft program, it is straightforward. Get the software, follow the prompts to install the products and it just works.

As most Microsoft products, the price is not the cheapest but you just cannot pass this tool. So when you buy it for you/your team, save money and buy only what you need. We installed it in our Techroom computer so that all the members can use and access it. Thus, one license serves the purpose of all three of us.

What other advice do I have?

When using this tool, research your current vendors and manufacturers to get their most up to date shapes and vectors, so you can always design or draft your Visio projects using the most accurate picture.

IT Business Analyst / Solution Designer at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
It eases the standardization of the Business Process Model within multi-disciplinary teams

What is most valuable?

I would highlight BPMN 2.0 validation, as it eases the standardization of the Business Process Model within multi-disciplinary teams. Visio integrates seamlessly with the rest of the Office suite as any other Microsoft product, which is also worth mentioning.

How has it helped my organization?

Compared to other products we used in the past, modelling with Visio is faster and the final result in terms of appearance is more professional. Making changes to a diagram is also easier as the items and lines get re-arranged properly with few tweaks required.

What needs improvement?

It would be nice to have the possibility of exporting and importing XPDL, also considering that the Surface series are the MS flagship, there is much room for improvement when it comes to inking or drawing diagrams using pen input (which behaves like a mouse pointer).

XPDL stands for XML Process Definition Language, it is used to interchange business process model definitions between different workflow modelling tools. (e.g. Oracle Fusion Middleware)

Currently, MS Visio does not support import or export of XPDL files. Although some tools like Oracle Fusion have built in support for Visio files, I personally think this capability would be nice to have as would help companies using workflow tools modelling with Visio. As an example, the project I am working for right now uses Vitria Businessware which supports XPDL import, however as Visio does not have XPDL export capability workflows have to be created manually increasing the time to market.

WRT inking and pen input support; Microsoft Surface series lovely integrate with the MS Office suit with a functionality that allows the user to write on top of documents as if it were a printed copy just by using the pen on the screen. This functionality supports ink to shapes which transforms handwritten squares or circles into perfectly drawn shapes. This is not the case in Visio where pen support is non-existent and using it on the screen just emulates the mouse. This is just disappointing as the functionality is there for programs like Word but it is completely missing on Visio.

I’ve been using this tool for three years.

The product is pretty stable. We stumbled upon some bugs during these years of intense usage, but nothing major that couldn’t be solved by restarting the application.

This product is a desktop application, but coupled with SharePoint, it allows for concurrent editing of files without any issues.

We’ve never had to use the technical support for this product.

We started using Dia (free open source drawing editor) but we required a more fast and collaborative tool with better MS Word integration and better appearance.

The initial setup was as simple as installing any other MS office product.

Pricing and licensing depends on your needs and the time you expect to use the product. If you plan to use it for an extended period of time, Visio has two versions Standard and Professional where the Professional costs almost twice as the Standard edition with few more stencils and functionalities, but on the other hand Microsoft also offers the 365 option with one year commitment where you can use Visio Professional for almost three years before hitting the single license price.

We explored Lucidchart and Sparx Enterprise Architect as alternatives.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend anyone looking into purchasing this product to review thoroughly each version features as both are quite similar.

Information Technology Coord at a tech services company
I find the library of shapes very helpful. The layering feature is not easy to work with.

What is most valuable?

I find the library of shapes very helpful. I do appreciate that shapes are tied to various templates because it makes it easier/quicker to complete a diagram when the type of diagram you choose automatically loads the shapes that are tied to it. I frequently load additional shapes into the program to keep my diagrams fresh and promote a certain type of individuality to my designs.

How has it helped my organization?

We have used this solution since 2009.

What needs improvement?

The first thing that comes to mind is the layering feature of the software. It is not easy to work with and definitely needs some revisions to help users modify/control the layers easier. Even after all the years I have used this software program, I still have issues with the layering aspect and features. The reason it’s not a 10, is because when I first began learning how to use this program, I found it very difficult and not very user-friendly. I have not used the newer versions of Visio, so I am not too sure if the newer versions are any more user-friendly than prior versions. Hopefully, they are.

There were issues with stability. When attempting to have more than three diagrams open at a time, the system frequently crashes; however, I have never experience a crash with only one diagram open.

There were some scalability issues. While new shapes can be added, there is still the issue with compatibility problems with other versions of the Visio software.

Not too sure. I have never contacted tech support for this product.

I did not use a different solution. I used Adobe Photoshop for other needs that are sometimes similar, but for diagramming MS Visio is the best.

Initially, the program looks very similar to other Microsoft Office products, however once you get into the program, it is difficult to understand where to start. I tried using the software without training, in the beginning, and only became frustrated at not understanding how to use the program. However, with a moderate amount of training, creating basic 1-layer diagrams becomes fun and easy.

I obtained this software when I was attending the University of Phoenix, so with the student discount I think I paid $10, back in 2009-2010. I still have and use the same version because the software is a bit pricey and the version I have works well for my needs. I would advise others to try to get discounted pricing through educational institutions, if possible.

I did not evaluate other options. The software was originally needed for completing my college assignments.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend first determining the needs of the company and what the expectations are for the software. I would then view basic training videos available, to truly see if their needs aligns with the features and outputs of the software program.

Business Consultant at a financial services firm
Templates provide a wide variety of the commonly used graphics

What is most valuable?

The templates are the most valuable feature as there is a wide variety of the commonly used graphics.

When you open a diagram, you have a number of templates such as Engineering, Network, Software, Maps, etc. that quickly organize the images you can use in Visio.

How has it helped my organization?

We can build the process workflows. It makes it easier to describe the process flows.

What needs improvement?

There is a need to keep updating the mobile icons.

I have used this solution for more than 10 years.

There were no stability issues.

There were no scalability issues.

The setup is simple; just load and go.

It is a great investment. Use the Visio Viewer, which is for people that really don’t need to just create a view.

What other advice do I have?

It is fantastic, but avoid making flow charts a full-time job.

Wissam H
Change Management Consultant at a analyst firm with self employed
Leaderboard
It is a robust tool for quick mapping. It is not user friendly when it comes to handling large number of processes.

What is most valuable?

Every aspect of it is highly valuable.

What needs improvement?

• Template creation
  • Process conversion to SOP
  • Ability to enter thorough details for each activity that can be expanded for reading
  • Ability to create/define roles and functions and re-use them in all processes
  • Ability to establish hierarchy for related processes

I have been using Visio for almost 10 years.

Surprisingly, I have not encountered any stability issues.

We did evaluate other products, but I don’t remember the names at this stage.

What other advice do I have?

Microsoft Visio is a robust tool for quick mapping. However, it is not user friendly when it comes to handling large number of processes. The details that can be entered into the activities are limited. There is no option to create/define roles and functions as well as their hierarchy. Also, there is no option to enter control notes (other than the simple note tool). Also, there is no option to extract the process as a Word document. There is no option to convert the process flow into an SOP format. Creating custom templates within company’s brand specifications is difficult as well.