Visual Paradigm OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Visual Paradigm is the #9 ranked solution in our list of Business Process Design tools. It is most often compared to Sparx Systems Enterprise Architect: Visual Paradigm vs Sparx Systems Enterprise Architect

What is Visual Paradigm?
Visual Paradigm is a UML tool. The tool is designed for a wide range of users including software engineers, system analysts, business analysts and system architects, or for anyone who is interested in reliably building large-scale software systems using an object-oriented approach. In addition, Visual Paradigm supports the latest standards of UML notation.

Download the Business Process Design Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: October 2021

Visual Paradigm Customers
Adobe, Apple, at&t, Caterpillar, Intel, NASA, Nokia, Toyota

Pricing Advice

What users are saying about Visual Paradigm pricing:
  • "You can use Paradigm on a subscription basis and you can choose from different tiers of subscription."
  • "You can move between the tiers from month to month so you are not restricted to one pricing model."

Visual Paradigm Reviews

DM
Data Architect at a financial services firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
Data modeling through an interface that makes it easy-to-use and understand

• "The pricing model is attractive."
  • "The initial setup is straightforward."
  • "It is easy-to-use and it helps understand its data modeling structure through the intuitive user interface."
  • "There are some connectivity issues that crop up rarely when used with SQL Server."
  • "The solution can be heavy on resource usage."

What is our primary use case?

I used the product because I needed to do data modeling for financial services, risk management, and investment activities.

What is most valuable?

I guess the most valuable feature is that I find it easy-to-use and understand its data modeling structure and user interface. It does database reverse engineering. It does database forward engineering. It tended to be quite good at all of those things.

What needs improvement?

I do not think I really used it enough to find a lot of things that I did not like. It really did what I expected it to do. I did have some connectivity issues between Visual Paradigm and SQL Server in one instance but that would be the only thing that I think might need to be addressed as an issue. It is hard to tell if it was the product or something else within SQL Server.

I used Visual Paradigm in a previous organization for some time. On and off for maybe five years. I would not say I made extensive use of it as in I did not work with it every day, but I first started using it about five years ago and had to be relatively proficient with it.

There was one particular bug that caused some instability issues. I can not remember what the cause of it was exactly, but Paradigm was having trouble with Microsoft SQL Server system versioning tables. It was only one of the tables that it had trouble with, and I do not know why. I actually never worked out why but I managed to work around the issue. It would just lock up in that one particular instance. That was the only problem with it that I had.

We did not really test out the scalability because it was just me using it. I did not roll it out to teams or anything like that. So it was just me. I also did the maintenance on my own.

In a previous organization, I had been using Visual Paradigm. I switched what I was using because I came to this organization and they are using ERwin. I did a little research into both the products for the sake of comparison and to see what the differences are and to gauge familiarity.

The initial installation was very easy and straightforward.

I did not use the help of any consultants or tech support and got it up and running on my own pretty easily.

You can use Paradigm on a subscription basis and you can choose from different tiers of subscription. If you do not use the product much, you can only pay as little as $6 US a month. If you want to use some of the very advanced features for it, you pay as much as $197 a month. One of the nice things is that you can move between the tiers from month to month so you are not restricted to one pricing model.

What other advice do I have?

The advice I would give to people looking into this product is that I would suggest for them to try it. It is priced really well with an attractive pricing model.

On a scale from one to ten (where one is the worst and ten is the best), I would rate Visual Paradigm by giving it eight-out-of-ten. It could not really be any higher because of the connectivity issues I experienced with SQL Server. Also, I had a pretty good machine at the time and I got the impression that Paradigm could be quite a heavy user of resources. It took a lot of memory when it ran.

JA
Senior Business Analyst at a tech services company with 11-50 employees
User friendly with lots of templates and is consistently updated with more features

• "The solution is very user-friendly. It's easy to just open it and start working."
  • "The solution could be more compatible with other products in the future."

What is most valuable?

The solution has a community edition, which makes it free of charge. I'm using the community edition myself within our organization. We are a small team and it's easier for us to find free options.

Visual Paradigm is great due to the fact that there are lots of templates in their product.

The solution seems to be constantly improving itself with regular updates and add-ons.

What needs improvement?

I'm not sure what is missing within the solution. We haven't used it long enough to really dive deep into its features and usability, as we've only worked on a few projects.

There might be a better solution on the market, however, this is the only solution I'm really familiar with at this point.

The solution could be more compatible with other products in the future.

I've been using the solution for more than a year. We've used it on one or two projects.

We have the July 22, 2020 release right now, and it is very stable. There aren't any issues with it at all. We haven't seen any bugs or glitches. It doesn't crash or freeze. It's been reliable for our organization.

The solution is a single modeling software. Therefore the scalability question isn't really applicable.

We're a small firm. We don't have a lot of users and don't need to add a lot of people on a regular basis. There are only three consultants on our team. In total in the company, there may only be 10-15 people. Therefore we don't need to scale per se.

We have a very simple community edition. We've never had to reach out to technical support. If we need assistance, we have another IT firm that can assist us. In terms of if we have any how-to questions, we typically just turn to Google and search for answers that way.

We are also using process design software. I can't recall the name. It's a market leader visualizing for software. It's similar to Microsoft Visio, however, it is called something else.

The initial implementation is not difficult or complex. It's quite easy and straightforward.

Deployment is also easy. You just take the tool and install it. We use it on Microsoft Windows and have never had any issues.

We use the community edition, which is free. There are no licensing costs and no other costs above this.

What other advice do I have?

I'm a consultant. We're just customers and we're simply using the free version of the product as we're a pretty small company.

Overall, I would rate the solution eight out of ten due to the fact that it's a great solution. That said, I have no real comparison. I've used only really used this solution.

Currently, I'm learning about this solution and process mining and solutions like UiPath as well. We're moving towards the RPA world.

Find out what your peers are saying about Visual Paradigm, Sparx Systems, Microsoft and others in Business Process Design. Updated: October 2021.
542,721 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Mehdi Alidoost
Head Of Research Department at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
Allows teams to model business information systems and manage the development process

• "I love Visual Paradigm because it has many different types of diagrams. For any field of engineering, we can find a diagram."
  • "From time to time, we experience some troubles when we work as teams."

What is our primary use case?

We use Visual Paradigm to create and manage development processes.

We have a license for 12 users, but in reality, there are more than 30 employees using this solution.

What is most valuable?

I love Visual Paradigm because it has many different types of diagrams. For any field of engineering, we can find a diagram. We've had a lot of great experiences with BPMN diagrams. We like that we can add extra layers of documentation and notes.

Also, the simulation feature is great. It allows us to analyze processes before really implementing them.

What needs improvement?

From time to time, we experience some troubles when we work as teams. When two users work on the same diagram, it can be difficult. Changes appear in the diagrams which can be difficult to resolve.

In the next edition, they mentioned that they will be including some new diagrams relating to infographics. If they can improve the infographics and they're backed by a database, it would be very useful.

Visual Paradigm is stable.

Visual Paradigm is very scalable. We can easily increase the number of servers and users.

Their support team is great. They are very responsive and are always quick to help us when needed.

Visual Paradigm was very easy to install on our servers. We have two types of software; I installed both of them. It was very easy.

What other advice do I have?

Overall, on a scale from one to ten, I would give this solution a rating of nine.

MahdiJalali
Founder at Rozhmaan
Scalable, stable, and affordable

• "The solution is stable. It hasn't crashed, stopped or caused any issues in any way."
  • "The solution is not user-friendly. It uses a lot of memory and CPU. You have to have a good computer to use it."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution for different kinds of analysis such as software analysis.

What is most valuable?

The solution allows for different models to be integrated together. For example, if you have a chart or more than four organization charts, then you can use the concepts in your BPM and model. Or your BPM and model can be linked to visual models or use cases.

What needs improvement?

The solution should allow for more integration between PowerDesigner and Visual Paradigm.

I've been using the solution for more than seven years.

The solution isn't as scalable as, for example, PowerDesigner.

I haven't been in contact with technical support.

The initial setup is straightforward. The implementation is similar to other software solutions. It's a fast routine process.

The pricing on these types of tools is really affordable.

What other advice do I have?

We use the public cloud deployment model.

I'd rate the solution eight out of ten.

Edgar Youssef
Software & Web Developer at a computer software company with 1-10 employees
Has good structure, works very well, and is easy to set up

What is most valuable?

I like the structure. I can see the diagrams and everything I created. It's the trial period of the Enterprise version and works very well. The trial version is also very easy to set up.

What needs improvement?

More flexibility when choosing the type of diagram would be nice.

I've used it for two days. I saw that they have a free trial period, so now I'm trying it.

It's very easy to set up the trial version.

What other advice do I have?

On a scale from one to ten, I would rate this solution at eight.

What is most valuable?

I like the structure. I can see the diagrams and everything I created.

It's the trial period of the Enterprise version and works very well.

The trial version is also very easy to set up.

What needs improvement?

More flexibility when choosing the type of diagram would be nice.

It's very easy to set up the trial version.

What other advice do I have?

On a scale from one to ten, I would rate this solution at eight.