Visual Studio Test Professional OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Visual Studio Test Professional is the #4 ranked solution in our list of top Quality Management Tools. It is most often compared to TFS: Visual Studio Test Professional vs TFS

What is Visual Studio Test Professional?
Visual Studio Professional Edition provides an IDE for all supported development languages. As of Visual Studio 2010, the Standard edition was dropped. MSDN support is available as MSDN Essentials or the full MSDN library depending on licensing. It supports XML and XSLT editing, and can create deployment packages that only use ClickOnce and MSI. It includes tools like Server Explorer and integration with Microsoft SQL Server also. Windows Mobile development support was included in Visual Studio 2005 Standard, however, with Visual Studio 2008, it is only available in Professional and higher editions. Windows Phone 7 development support was added to all editions in Visual Studio 2010. Development for Windows Mobile is no longer supported in Visual Studio 2010; it is superseded by Windows Phone 7.

Download the Functional Testing Tools Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: September 2021

Visual Studio Test Professional Customers
Transport for Greater Manchester, Ordina, Bluegarden A/S, CLEAResult, Jet.com, OSIsoft, Australian Taxation Office, BookedOut, Tracasa
Visual Studio Test Professional Video

Visual Studio Test Professional Reviews

Puja Lal
Development Manager at a computer software company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Offers lots of features, including memory analysis and code sharing

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution as a build environment.

• "The stability has always been very good."
  • "In Visual Studio we still don't have anything which can pinpoint memory leaks on a certain code line."

What other advice do I have?

We're into software development. We are developing products, enterprise-level products, for clients. Microsoft is a business partner. I'm into product management. My developers are the ones that are directly working with Visual Studio. I myself I'm not overly technical. Therefore, my insight is slightly limited. We are using versions from both 2017 and 2019. It might be Visual Studio version 6.0. We are not using a lot of it due to the fact that ours is a legacy code written back in the 1990s. It's a system library. We simply use it to build and compile and that's it. I'd rate the solution at…
GhamdanAl-Anesi
Member of the Board & Co-Founder, Executive Manager at Networld Systems
Improves code quality and development time, and technical support is good

What is our primary use case?

We do a lot of in-house custom software development. We develop these applications for our customers, and we do the integration with solutions from different vendors. We primarily use this solution for integrating different applications. We have an on-premises deployment, although we are in the process of migrating to the cloud both for us and our customers.

• "Code testing is the most valuable feature of this solution for developing software."
  • "Enhancing the support for web application testing and load performance would be an improvement."

What other advice do I have?

My advice to anybody researching this solution is that this tool is a must. It is very helpful for testing code. It will end up costing them less than what they are paying with third-party applications, partly because of the integration that is available. The developers have to be familiar with Visual Studio Test Professional because they will know how to organize the code such that the testing comes out with results that are meaningful to them. Overall, this is a very good product. I would rate this solution an eight out of ten.
Find out what your peers are saying about Microsoft, Micro Focus, Ranorex and others in Functional Testing Tools. Updated: September 2021.
536,244 professionals have used our research since 2012.
PE
SQA Engineer at a manufacturing company with 5,001-10,000 employees
A commonly-used and strong product with lots of support, but it needs more modern features and better integration for monitoring

What is our primary use case?

I use it just for coding our applications and features. We are using version 4.5, which is an old version. We haven't tried its latest version. It probably is deployed in a private cloud. It is a part of our firm architecture or infrastructure.

• "It is a very common and strong product. A lot of support is available for this product."
  • "It needs more integration with other tools for monitoring. Microsoft also needs to make it more modern to make it work with microservices and the cloud. It is a bit outdated currently."

What other advice do I have?

It is an old technology, and I would like to try using a new technology. However, it is necessary for us to stay with this technology because we have a legacy product, but we are thinking of updating to newer versions or migrating to another technology. We didn't do that in the past because of the fear of losing some of the features and having any kind of breakage because of incompatibility. We are looking for microservices for the database. I would advise not to keep a lot of gap between upgrades. The risks are more when you upgrade after a long gap, such as four years. It also takes more…
RS
Senior Developer at a non-profit with 10,001+ employees
It makes it easy to handle a lot of things and has good community support, but it needs better performance and error handling

What is our primary use case?

I use it for coding, debugging, and other usual things.

• "It is very easy to use. You can handle a lot of things together at once in one package, which is a good point for us."
  • "It is not good in terms of performance. When you open Visual Studio, you have to wait for a while to process your code. It uses a lot of resources and has a lot of features. If we could disable some of the features, it would be lighter and faster to use. Nowadays, for some of the projects, we use VS Code for JavaScript or Python. VS Code is very light and easy to use, whereas, in Visual Studio, we have to wait because it takes time to compile or run a project. It has a lot of competitors in terms of performance, such as Intelligent ID. Intelligent ID is very easy to use. It has many features, and it is lighter to use than Visual Studio. In terms of error handling, sometimes, it shows an error before you finish your code, which can be improved. It would be good if it has a version for Linux. I use VS Code on Linux, but I am not sure if Visual Studio has a version for Linux."

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this solution. I would rate Visual Studio Test Professional a seven out of ten.
Vaishali-Aggarwal
Counselor at a healthcare company with 10,001+ employees
Good reporting and integrates well with other Microsoft tools

What is our primary use case?

I use this solution to load data from Excel into a database and perform transformations on the data in between.

• "The most valuable features are the SSIS reports, the deployment models, and the ability to interact with other Microsoft tools."
  • "The documents on the Microsoft website are not very useful, and they ought to make it easier to find answers."

IZ
Assistance Engineer at a transportation company with 501-1,000 employees
Stable and user friendly with a straightforward setup

What is our primary use case?

I primarily write small applications for windows with it; we also use it for database administration.

• "The solution is very stable; there's nothing in relation to stability to complain about."
  • "The database administration could be better; you should be able to choose new tools with the development environment in Visual Studio. It could be easier to use."

What other advice do I have?

At the start, many years ago, it was not the best solution, but now it is the best in a technical development environment. The solution is installed directly onto PCs. We're using the 2017 version; the last few years the solution hasn't changed too much. I'd rate the solution ten out of ten. It's my favorite tool, I haven't used anything else which is better than Visual Studio. I feel that I'm not using all of the capabilities so I'm content with the level of features on offer. In the latest versions, you can also develop and rate applications with it so it's really quite a complete product…
RV
Programmer at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Built-in support for testing C# and .NET is helpful in our continuous integration development process

What is our primary use case?

I use Visual Studio Test Professional for C# and Java. Within our continuous integration environment, our testing using this solution includes running a script that takes about ten minutes. At work, I use the paid version but at home, I use the Community Edition.

• "The most valuable feature is the in-built support for C# and .NET projects."
  • "We would like to be able to easily integrate this solution with our continuous integration tools, such as Jenkins."

What other advice do I have?

We are only using test scripts, which involves a minimal number of the features that are provided. We have also recommended this solution to some of our clients. I would rate this solution a nine out of ten.
DM
Senior Business Intelligence Consultant at a computer software company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Easy to install and the userface is very user-friendly

What is our primary use case?

This program is client-based and it allows you to build codes. So it's not like a product that you deploy for your customers either on Cloud or on-premise. This product is for developers, not for businesses.

• "The setup is easy and straightforward."
  • "The data flow can be improved."

What other advice do I have?

It is a very good solution and on a scale from one to ten, I will rate it a nine. In the next release I would like to see better data flow.
See 5 more Visual Studio Test Professional Reviews
Download our free Functional Testing Tools Report and find out what your peers are saying about Microsoft, Micro Focus, Ranorex, and more!