VMware Horizon 7 OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

VMware Horizon 7 is #4 ranked solution in top Virtual Desktop Infrastructure (VDI) tools. IT Central Station users give VMware Horizon 7 an average rating of 8 out of 10. VMware Horizon 7 is most commonly compared to VMware Workspace ONE:VMware Horizon 7 vs VMware Workspace ONE. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a computer software company, accounting for 31% of all views.
What is VMware Horizon 7?

Horizon 7 allows IT to deliver virtual or RDSH published desktops and applications through a single platform to end users. These desktop and application services— including RDS hosted apps, packaged apps with VMware ThinApp, SaaS apps, and even virtualized apps from Citrix—can all be accessed from one unified workspace to provide end users with all of the resources they want, at the speed they expect, with the efficiency business demands.

VMware Horizon 7 Buyer's Guide

Download the VMware Horizon 7 Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: November 2021

VMware Horizon 7 Customers

LCMC Health

VMware Horizon 7 Video

Pricing Advice

What users are saying about VMware Horizon 7 pricing:
  • "It is hard to know for sure. It is definitely in the $20,000 to $30,000 range. It is quite expensive, but you do save money on desktop power, desktop upgrades, etc. You're able to extend the useful life of your previous desktops. Previously, we used to change desktops regularly, and now we just change them when they break."
  • "The license is very costly, as well as the renewal cost."
  • "Its cost is fair. You can go for a free trial, but for initializing a project, you need to purchase a license. There are different types of licenses."
  • "The VMware Horizon 7 license is for three months. We are in the testing stage, we are still evaluating the product. We are sure now that we need to buy a license for the production environment."

VMware Horizon 7 Reviews

MG
Network administrator at a government with 5,001-10,000 employees
Makes it simpler and faster to deploy new versions and updates and enables us to provide support with the remote control feature

• "One of the most interesting features in the enterprise version is the ability to do some support. There is a feature for remote control and debugging, which is something we didn't have before having Horizon 7 and the enterprise version."
  • "The most important feature that is missing is the ability to do some remote support on the client itself. For example, if somebody has a Horizon client installed on his machine, there should be a way to support his local machine as well. That's because most of the problems can't be solved very often due to the computer or the setup that someone is using on his personal machine. Because a Horizon client is already installed on the machine to access the environment, it would be nice if the client itself possessed some sort of remote control tool in it so that if needed, we could support both the virtual setup and the actual setup of the machine. It pretty much does everything well. It is mostly the support aspect that can be improved. You have perfect control over your in-house environment. You have a solution that can pretty much be used anywhere, but you have no control over the machine that's being used to access your environment. Definitely, that's where most of the features are lacking. There should be an option for remote control and maybe some options for conformity."

What is our primary use case?

We are using it to provide our users with a personalized desktop experience when they're working remotely, especially during the pandemic.

We are using its latest version. We usually deploy it on-prem, but I know that there is a possibility to put it on the cloud.

How has it helped my organization?

It is simpler and faster to deploy new versions and updates. It is also easier to make sure that everybody is using a standard image or a standard setup.

What is most valuable?

One of the most interesting features in the enterprise version is the ability to do some support. There is a feature for remote control and debugging, which is something we didn't have before having Horizon 7 and the enterprise version.

It is safer in terms of viruses and other types of attacks. If a machine ever becomes compromised, you can just destroy it immediately by logging off and having it recomposed.

What needs improvement?

The most important feature that is missing is the ability to do some remote support on the client itself. For example, if somebody has a Horizon client installed on his machine, there should be a way to support his local machine as well. That's because most of the problems can't be solved very often due to the computer or the setup that someone is using on his personal machine. Because a Horizon client is already installed on the machine to access the environment, it would be nice if the client itself possessed some sort of remote control tool in it so that if needed, we could support both the virtual setup and the actual setup of the machine. It pretty much does everything well. It is mostly the support aspect that can be improved. You have perfect control over your in-house environment. You have a solution that can pretty much be used anywhere, but you have no control over the machine that's being used to access your environment. Definitely, that's where most of the features are lacking. There should be an option for remote control and maybe some options for conformity. For example, if somebody installed the Horizon client on their shared computer, there could be some safety features or safety checks that were implemented in the client itself to make sure that the person using it is not using a compromised machine or something like that.

Its integration with third parties can be improved. Sometimes, there is a lack of integration with third parties. For example, we had issues at some point with Adobe products running in virtualization. I know they have a very hard time running in a virtualized environment and performing correctly. They work, but they're very slow, and they're hard to support.

I have been using this solution for probably close to two years.

The solution is very stable. It is very robust. The most fragile factor is the actual VM or the OS that you run on it. You might have a good virtual desktop solution, but if your VM that is running has an actual bug in it, such as a faulty patch or a problem that has to do more with software, then you're stuck with it anyway.

Its scalability is very good based on what I have seen so far. It is easy to scale it up or down, and I haven't seen any constraints of any kind.

Usually, at any given time, there are close to a hundred users who are using it. It is used by all departments. We use it everywhere, and it is used extensively. We don't really plan to extend it because it is already fulfilling all of our needs, so we don't need to upscale or downscale it. It is just perfect right now for our needs.

It often depends on who you end up with. I've seen some people who go the extra mile and solve your problems really easily and quickly. If they don't have a solution, they'll make sure that somebody is able to help you. I've also seen the complete opposite at times where you have trouble trying to get follow-ups. It really depends on who's handling your case, and the fact that their support center is in India doesn't always help. I don't know if it's a language barrier or a social barrier or something else, but it's not easy. They are on the better side than the worst, but there is definitely room for improvement.

We were using Horizon 5. Before that, I've used different technologies but not in this environment. I've used a Citrix Metaframe in a different environment and not at this job.

It was very straightforward. It was a lot simpler than previous versions.

It was an in-house job. We were using Horizon 5, so we already had some experience with the product.

For its maintenance, one or two people are enough.

We have definitely got an ROI.

What other advice do I have?

If you're currently looking for a solution that's in-house, it's a great solution. If you're looking into something that's more cloud-based, then you should definitely try a successor, which is a Horizon 8 or Horizon Air.

I would rate Horizon 7 an eight out of 10.

Manager at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
An easy initial setup with a good unified gateway and very good technical support

• "VMware is a hyper-converged infrastructure model. Therefore, for scaling it you just add more servers to it in the inputs. It's rather straightforward."
  • "I would love to see so they can actually allow the use of Linux, from a hosting environment as well as from a VDI client environment."

What is most valuable?

Horizon actually has been working well in the current pandemic situation. Originally, we had clients deployed in our infrastructure. Now, once working from home or remote working has been imposed, we deployed a Unified Gateway. It's simply one more component of Horizon, and it allows us to give access over the public IP so that those people at home get the same environment itself as they work from their home without causing any user experience problems. There were no additional licenses required for that job either, which was nice.

What needs improvement?

I would love to see so they can actually allow the use of Linux, from a hosting environment as well as from a VDI client environment. If I can actually host Linux instances as VDIs with the same features as what I get on Windows and have all the key components, like the Composer, database, or the connection services, that would be ideal. Often, ransomware and attacks usually target Windows, therefore, if I'm on Linux, at least I'll have some level of comfort or a buffer against danger.

VMware Horizon was deployed around one and a half years ago in my infrastructure.

We do not have any problems with the stability part of it. It doesn't crash or freeze. It's not buggy and it doesn't have any glitches. It's reliable.

VMware is a hyper-converged infrastructure model. Therefore, for scaling it you just add more servers to it in the inputs. It's rather straightforward.

We've had a couple of calls with technical support. They're very good, from what I have experienced. We are quite satisfied with their level of knowledge and responsiveness.

The initial setup is somewhat okay. They're not too complex. There are various components that have to be installed and configured, and therefore a little bit of expertise is required. It's not dead simple. You do need some background.

Ours was a smaller deployment and it's supposed to host around 800 different current virtual instances. Starting from the backend stack to going live, it took approximately two weeks overall.

It is more economical than purchasing each license individually. If you purchase vSphere Enterprise plus vSAN, then vROps, and then Horizon, it's going to be a large cost. If you do this logic, it will be very cheaper, because they did not charge us separately for the vSphere or vSAN or vROps with this. You buy the number of seats irrespective to how much hardware you run on, they will not charge you more. That's the benefit.

What other advice do I have?

We aren't on the latest version of the solution. We're at minus one right now. The final upgrade has not been done due to the pandemic situation.

In our kind of environment, it's just more of a media use case, so we used it and it made sense. If you have variable workloads, not a uniform workload, then it might not go under the licensing for just VDIs, asVDIs specifically cover your operating system instances as well as uniform with the VDI clients. If it is a uniform VDI client, such as all Windows 10 systems for users to log in, like on host environment, or it's all a server farm, etc., for those kinds of environments, Horizon is a no brainer.

A company should go for it. I'd recommend it. It is a good solution to work with.

Overall, I would rate the solution eight out of ten. For the most part, we've been quite satisfied with the results.

Learn what your peers think about VMware Horizon 7. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: November 2021.
554,529 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Shams K
Vmware Administrator at Intertech
Reliable and easy to deploy applications

• "The ease of deployment is one of the most valuable features. If I want to install something, I can have a test phase to see what sort of impact it will have and whether it will affect production. So I can install it on my lab, make sure it is okay, and if it is, I can deploy it directly to the users or to the staff."
  • "VMware Horizon could be improved with more integration. It is also very costly for Enterprise Plus, which is a drawback. The renewal costs for the license are very, very high."

What is our primary use case?

I have integrated this solution for educational institutions to help deploy applications to students and staff. I have also integrated this solution for a financial organization. This solution is deployed on-premises.

How has it helped my organization?

The students and staff have different requirements, knowledge, and applications they need to install, so we segregate the VDI. I have master images and then whichever application a student or staff member needs installed, I'll install it on the master image, then deploy that image to that particular staff member or group of students. In a matter of minutes, they will have their application ready to use.

What is most valuable?

Instant clone is one of the best features. Within seconds, we can create a new WEM based on the requirements. So whenever they log in, the system or VM will be able to use it.

What needs improvement?

VMware Horizon could be improved with more integration. It is also very costly for Enterprise Plus, which is a drawback. The renewal costs for the license are very, very high.

I have been integrating this solution for customers for years.

This solution is stable and reliable. I would say it's one of the best options.

VMware's support is tremendously good. I have never had any issues with their side, in terms of technical support. They have a very talented team and they'll fix your problem in no time.

The initial setup is not straightforward. You need to be very careful because it's based on end user experience, which is very important. You need to look at all the aspects of it—networking, cabling, storage, switching—and if performance is what most users need, there should be no compromise on this. You need to understand what your requirements are, what applications you may be running on the system, and then you need to design the storage. For example, if a customer has applications that demand more IOPS, then I would consider going for all-flash storage or an HTI solution, like Dell. Performance demands are very important and you need to consider all the levels and aspects I listed.

Planning is very important. Installation itself is not straightforward, and does take some time. It took me an hour and a half to two hours to complete the installation. I had a team of five to help me deploy VMware to cover the levels of storage, networking, computing, and cabling.

I implemented through an in-house team.

The license is very costly, as well as the renewal cost. We have the Enterprise Plus license. I recommend that my customers renew the support contract because they will inevitably have issues. VMware releases new features and if customers want to use these features, they definitely have to maintain their support contract.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate VMware Horizon an eight out of ten.

I have several customers—a few educational institutions and one financial organization—who use Horizon in their infrastructure. I definitely recommend this solution, especially for educational institutions, because it's really good for them to have VDI infrastructure. This is one of the best solutions they can implement.

SB
Datacenter Specialist at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
It is stable and easily scalable, but remote connection and load balancing should be better

• "It is stable and easily scalable."
  • "The remote connection, bandwidth usage, and error connection can be improved. Working with the load balancer sites should also be improved. For example, with Horizon, we can use two clients with a one megabit connection, but with Citrix, we can use four or five clients with the same bandwidth through ICA protocol. VMware must improve remote connection, connection stability, and load balancing."

What is our primary use case?

We use this solution for virtual desktop infrastructure and remote desktop connections on client sites with 18 clients or end-user devices.

What is most valuable?

It is stable and easily scalable.

What needs improvement?

The remote connection, bandwidth usage, and error connection can be improved. Working with the load balancer sites should also be improved. For example, with Horizon, we can use two clients with a one megabit connection, but with Citrix, we can use four or five clients with the same bandwidth through ICA protocol. VMware must improve remote connection, connection stability, and load balancing.

I have been using this solution for five or six years.

VMware is stable. We don't need to switch after installation, but for one area, the connection stability is currently lower than other solutions. We tested it, and one connection from the load balancer or the firewall needs to be improved.

It is easily and quickly scalable and expandable.

We are also Citrix Platinum partners. We are using Citrix solutions and desktop. When we create a project, we give our clients options and considerations between Citrix and VMWare. They choose after that.

For one building or two buildings that are nearby, or one local site, we prefer Horizon Seven. If end users are connected to VDI desktops or other Citrix services or if they are using a load balancer like NetScaler, for coming from outside to the inside of corporate, we are using Citrix VDI because of the ITA protocol.

The initial setup is quick and easy, but after that, you must configure user groups, machine groups, and delivery groups. It also requires some scripting and other tweaks, but the initial setup is easy for VMware Horizon.

The deployment duration depends on the number of users. For example, for 1,000 end users, you need redundancy servers for VMWare Horizon, and you need other servers for connecting to vCenter. Load balancing depends upon the client's sites. For example, for 10 users, I can make a connection locally in 45 minutes to one hour, but for 1,000 end users from different sites, it can take two to four days. If the complexity is high, it can take one month.

In terms of the staff required for deployment and maintenance, it depends on the end users and requirements on the customer site. I can complete installation myself, for example, of up to 100 users on one site. If more sites and more configurations are needs, it is a team job. It depends on the end users and customer expectations.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate VMware Horizon 7 a seven out of ten. If it becomes stronger like the Citrix ICA protocol, it would easily be a ten.

Omar Al-Qaysie
Senior Chief Engineer at ministry of electricity
Stable, fair cost, and supports multi-user environments and all kinds of virtual machines and operating systems

• "It is a stable solution. It is wonderful for multi-user environments, and it supports different virtual machines and operating systems. You can go for any kind of virtual machine. It has many features, especially for a call center. You don't have the issue of computers going down from time to time. You just need to copy the virtual machine to deploy it. You also don't need many people to maintain computers. With Horizon 7, you just need one or two people."
  • "It is a little bit complex. You need a little bit of experience with ESXi installation and VMware before using this solution. You cannot directly jump to this solution. It also requires training. After you get trained, you can do anything with Horizon 7. In terms of features, it has been sufficient for my needs, but it can always have more features. They can maybe merge the servers. They can give the Horizon 7 server in one package with ESXi."

What is our primary use case?

We used this solution for a complaint management and support system. The project was a combination of Horizon 7, VMware, Oracle Database, Apex, and GlassFish. Most of them were deployed on Linux or Windows, and we implemented a center to manage the VMware cluster.

The main software, based on Oracle Database, gave the operator a terminal and different kinds of forms for entering the data that they got from the customers. The virtual machines were based on Horizon 7. We completed this project in 2018, and it is still working.

What is most valuable?

It is a stable solution. It is wonderful for multi-user environments, and it supports different virtual machines and operating systems. You can go for any kind of virtual machine.

It has many features, especially for a call center. You don't have the issue of computers going down from time to time. You just need to copy the virtual machine to deploy it. You also don't need many people to maintain computers. With Horizon 7, you just need one or two people.

What needs improvement?

It is stable. We didn't have any issues.

If you are a small business, and you can easily grow from, let's say, 10 people to maybe 30 or 60 people. You can buy and scale based on your needs.

In terms of the number of users, we have four groups of operators who use this solution. Each group has six to seven users.

Their technical support is good. We faced an issue after deploying the product, and in less than 24 hours, we got a response from VMware. Everything was good.

You need to get trained and have a license to be able to deploy it.

We deployed it on our own. I take care of its maintenance.

Its cost is fair. You can go for a free trial, but for initializing a project, you need to purchase a license. There are different types of licenses.

What other advice do I have?

You should know why you need this solution. Before working with Horizon 7, you should have at least three to six months of experience with VMware and ESXi. You also need to get well trained in Horizon 7.

I would rate VMware Horizon 7 an eight out of ten. It is a stable and feature-rich solution at a fair price.

Cristiano Cumer
Systems Engineer at a university with 201-500 employees
Modern, integrates well, and highly stable

• "The benefits of this solution are that it is modern and it works perfectly well with the rest of the VMware environments we have. Having this vertical integration is what matters to us as an organization and this solution excels in this area. You deploy it and it works without much hassle."
  • "The multimedia playback is not very good and they could improve it by increasing the quality."

What is our primary use case?

We use this solution for delivering virtual desktops and applications.

Currently, we are using version 2006 which has an older model of provisioning and there are some compatibility issues that we are going to solve in the coming months. The latest version is 2103. However, there is not much difference between 2006 and 2103 it is almost the same.

The small differences are in adjunct functionality and regarding the transference relationship between domains.

What is most valuable?

The benefits of this solution are that it is modern and it works perfectly well with the rest of the VMware environments we have. Having this vertical integration is what matters to us as an organization and this solution excels in this area. You deploy it and it works without much hassle.

What needs improvement?

The multimedia playback is not very good and they could improve it by increasing the quality.

In an upcoming release, there could be more integration support for Linux and better Linux user profile management. This is a feature we use in the universities but most other normal businesses will not be interested in Linux.

I have been using this solution for approximately six years.

95% of the features work without any issues and 5% of them have issues that are normally difficult to pinpoint. However, since these small issues can normally be corrected by support, this solution's stability rating is high.

We have 5,000 users on the system but only 200 of them are using it together at the university. Scalability was not ever an issue.

We have contacted technical support and they have been responsive.

The initial setup is a moderate level of difficulty.

We did the implementation of the solution.

In my organization, we use a lot of VMware solutions for vertical integration and have evaluated other solutions, such as Citrix.

What other advice do I have?

I would have said this solution needs to improve in profile management a couple of years ago because VMware does not have profile management that works out of the box. However, this issue was solved by Microsoft by releasing a solution that works very well with VMware Horizon.

Those who are wanting to implement this solution should consider the Cloud offerings for VMware Horizon. There is a possibility it could cut the time for delivery and it is more scalable. You will not have scalability issues.

I rate VMware Horizon 7 an eight out of ten.

IG
Manager - Technical Services at a tech services company with 501-1,000 employees
Handles graphic-intensive applications well, and it's easy to scale

• "VMware Horizon 7 has its proprietary Elastic streaming protocol, which is very good for delivering VDI."
  • "I would like to see seamless integration with the cloud because right now, the dependency is on the cloud providers."

What is most valuable?

VMware Horizon 7 has its proprietary Elastic streaming protocol, which is very good for delivering VDI. It helps with graphic-intensive applications.

The experience is seamless for graphic-intensive applications using this particular protocol.

What needs improvement?

It's difficult to recall any areas that need improvement.

They are growing now, in particular with this VDI domain. VMware is now introducing new products and features, and they are onboarding new customers.

There are many competitors in the market. All of the Media in Apple products delivery is seamless.

They need to advertise the product well and focus on their core features.

They need to market accordingly and they will have a good future and a good experience for the end customers.

I would like to see seamless integration with the cloud because right now, the dependency is on the cloud providers. I would like to see them have their own cloud environment on any public cloud. Right now, it is split between the public cloud and the VMware cloud environment. If they could deliver a solution that integrated all of the components then it would be great. They would not have to manage two different consoles but rather, a single implementation and a single console.

I have been working with VMware Horizon 7 for more than one year.

It's a stable solution.

It's easy to scale. Once you have it in your environment it's can be easily scaled.

Technical support is good.

The initial setup is straightforward.

If the customer already has a VMware virtualized platform then it's a seamless deployment.

Even the ordering and packaging is simple because it can be combined with the server virtualizing platform. You just order a one-part code that includes everything in that solution, including the VDI platform.

It can take approximately one week to deploy if it is on-premises, and if on the cloud, depending not the workload, it can take a day or two.

What other advice do I have?

They have both options of deployment models. If it is on-premises, it's as per their proprietary prerequisite. With the cloud, they have AWS and Microsoft Azure.

I would recommend VMware Horizon 7 if the customer already has the VMware virtualized environment in place.

Hybrid Cloud
OM
IT Project Lead at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
Beneficial conductivity, stable, and online documentation available

• "The most important feature of this solution is the connectivity with every device, such as iPad, iPhone, and other terminals. The security of the solution is very good."
  • "My deployment is complex and I hope it will only take a month."

What is our primary use case?

Most of the colleges are using Chromebooks but what I'm trying to develop is some virtual machines that have a common operating system to deliver to the student. They would be a virtual machine, similar to a Chromebook. This is what I am trying to develop.

What is most valuable?

The most important feature of this solution is the connectivity with every device, such as iPad, iPhone, and other terminals. The security of the solution is very good.

I have been using VMware Horizon 7 for approximately one year.

VMware Horizon 7 is stable. I think it is the strongest because I'm doing a lot of tests and the stability it's great. I have been very happy.

I'm using 50 users in my lab and I have been testing the performance, it's about 20%. It has excellent stability.

I have not used technical support. I bought some books and there are internet videos that I have used.

My deployment is complex and I hope it will only take a month.

The VMware Horizon 7 license is for three months. We are in the testing stage, we are still evaluating the product. We are sure now that we need to buy a license for the production environment.

The evaluation license has all the features already that we need. We are installing exactly what features we want for the level of license.

What other advice do I have?

I rate VMware Horizon 7 a ten out of ten.

Hybrid Cloud