VMware Horizon View Overview

VMware Horizon View is the #3 ranked solution in our list of top Virtual Desktop tools. It is most often compared to Microsoft Remote Desktop Services: VMware Horizon View vs Microsoft Remote Desktop Services

What is VMware Horizon View?

VMware Horizon View, previously known as VMware View, is a virtual desktop infrastructure solution that provides users with virtual and mobile desktop management, flexible access, an optimal end-user experience and cloud computing. Horizon View also provides increased control and security of the desktop environment.

End-users get to be more productive and enjoy the flexibility of accessing their desktop environments from many locations and devices, while IT remains in control of policies and security.

VMware Horizon View is also known as Horizon View.

VMware Horizon View Buyer's Guide

Download the VMware Horizon View Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: May 2021

VMware Horizon View Customers

Amway, Hertz International, Metro Health, North Carolina State University, Ottawa International Airport, Revlon, and Whirlpool.

VMware Horizon View Video

Filter Archived Reviews (More than two years old)

Director of IT at BLDD ARCHITECTS INC
The ability to reliably virtualize desktops and support them. Simple to say, but complicated nonetheless.

What is our primary use case?

We were spread across several offices and with the main production software tool and the weak WAN infrastructure, it was impossible to share data reliably. It seemed the only solution was to centralize the data and make it so the people using the data - the workers - could be anywhere. With past experiences in server virtualization, I investigated VMware View. It was the missing key that made this all work.
IT Consultant with 51-200 employees
The most valuable features for us are the Horizon-linked clone desktops, App Volumes, and UEM.

What is most valuable?

Horizon-linked clone desktops App Volumes UEM

How has it helped my organization?

With Horizon view, it requires less administration from us and it provides much more flexibility for our users.

What needs improvement?

Integration of app volumes with Horizon View and integration of App Volumes with UEM would be nice additions.

I've used it for three years.

App volumes introduces longer login times, printer mapping issues (print spooler crashes), and short cut configuration timing issues.

We didn't encounter any issues with stability.

We didn't…
Learn what your peers think about VMware Horizon View. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: May 2021.
510,534 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Systems Administrator at a healthcare company with 1,001-5,000 employees
It allows us to spin up desktops and set multiple images quickly, although it lacks enough standardized instructions and rules.

Valuable Features:

The ability to spin up desktops as quickly as possible. You just build one image and then set multiple images and be ready quickly.

Improvements to My Organization:

If you have a training session, you can spin up more very quickly, which helps in the training ability for end-users.

Room for Improvement:

I wish there were more standardized instructions and rules. There are too many gotchas.

Stability Issues:

We're moving to 6.1 from 5.x, so far it's been good. An older version was unstable, but that was before I got there.

Scalability Issues:

There's some little gotchas with moving some up, and you can only have so many VMs, so it does have limitations.

Initial Setup:

It’s a little advanced because more gotchas (certificates, different…
Senior Systems Administrator at a university with 1,001-5,000 employees
Our students can now access our software remotely without VPN, though I'd like the option to use View Persona without paying more.

What other advice do I have?

It loses points becuase I can’t take advantage of enterprise stuff. You should do a POC to make sure it fits the use case, three to four month period, and make sure you involve your networking team.
IT Site Support IV at a healthcare company with 501-1,000 employees
Deploying desktops without needing access to the hardware is very helpful, but different client versions can be problematic.
IT Administrator at a government with 1,001-5,000 employees
Once a user finishes with a training computer, we can rebuild it again without worrying about security or viruses.
Data Processing Manager 2 at a government with 1,001-5,000 employees
It’s a more secure environment for desktops than a physical environment, although it lacks incorporation of VDI administration.

What other advice do I have?

We look at a products, the ability to respond quickly and completely are important. I would wait until the whole system matures a little more and comes together as far as where everything is under one vendor, so that it’s more stable and efficient. A few technical bugs need to be worked out, and we had some trouble with video display, and that could’ve been avoided.
Process Control Network Manager at Georgia-Pacific LLC
We now have full visibility across all our sites from one pane of glass, although I'd like I/O acceleration within VMware instead of having to use a third party.

What is most valuable?

Being able to centrally manage our environments from one pane of glass.

How has it helped my organization?

Before we virtualized it was stand alone systems, now I can see all ten sites we manage, and manage the systems. If we need to make changes, we can do it with a snapshot. It's much easier than before, plus we now have visibility into everything going on.

What needs improvement?

One thing is I'd like to be able to see I/O acceleration within VMware instead of having to use a third party, like VMTurbo.

We haven’t had any issues – its worked really well.

With virtual environments, we are highly scalable. Before, when we had a physical…
Tech Lab Engineer Analyst at AARP
It allows us to do a lot from the back end where we don’t have to impact the users at all, including spinning up a VM for solutions any end-user needs.

What other advice do I have?

We would have to be completely VMware, i.e every product we have from VMware to have it working perfectly. However, it is great for us right now though.
System Administrator at a university with 1,001-5,000 employees
We've been able to remove 70% of the desktops from our classrooms and onto VDI, but the VM management console should be improved.

What other advice do I have?

It is a good solution, it is stable.
System Administrator at a cloud provider with 51-200 employees
It provides employees using many devices with portability but not for Linux desktops which should be included.

What other advice do I have?

In my opinion, this product should be the first environment that an enterprise company must consider. This product is a potential first player providing a top enterprise solution to deliver VDI in large and very large environments. For this reason, my rating of is 10/10 when considering a solution for enterprise environment and 8/10 in a mid-size deployment. Pay attention to how many virtual desktops you should deliver and what is the real desktop utilization.A few desktops and too much customizations could cause an unjustified costs for three years.
Virtualization Counsultant at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
Powerful way to customize our app and desktop for users.
It is best way to provide our user with vmware horizon service because it minimum workload and give us powerful way to customize our app and desktop for users with minimum time to repair or prepare them.
Engineer at a insurance company with 1,001-5,000 employees
VMware Horizon View Feature Pack 1 Test Drive
VMware released the Feature Pack 1 for VMware Horizon View 5.2 a week or so after the standard release. The feature pack comes with the HTML5 Access (Blast Protocol) and Unity Touch. The new HTML5 client for VMware Horizon View 5.2 is something I was looking forward to trying out. Is it a pain to use a full client' No, but having the flexibility to roam around to different devices and not need to install an application is a nice mobility feature. Protocol WarsThe HTML5 client doesn’t use PCoIP, and instead uses VMware’s own Blast protocol. Using a different procol piques my interest because VMware does not own PCoIP, which is a Teradici product. Could VMware buy Teradici' They certainly could, but they haven’t in the past so it seems unlikely they ever will. The talking point response here…
Engineer with 501-1,000 employees
Allows for the creation of linked clone VM pools
View allows for the creation of linked clone VM pools and allows for easy administration of those pools. The automated tasks allow administrators to provision, refresh pools during off hours to keep the pools clean. View administrator is an easy tool to configure the servers in the environmnet. The ability to assign thin apps to a VM or pools of VMs in vmware view is an easy way to deploy applications to users.
Infrastructure Expert at a transportation company with 51-200 employees
Review of VMware View

Valuable Features:

• Central Management • VMware vShield Endpoint • PCOIP (PC Over IP) Protocol • Linked Clones & ThinApps • Local Mode • VMware Knowledge

Room for Improvement:

• Expensive / ROI • DR • 3D and graphics performance • Required some VMware skills

Other Advice:

Who can benefit from it? • Organizations who buy lots of desktops / laptops • Call Centers • Military • High Security Profile Organizations • Many more…
Tech Support Staff at a tech company with 1,001-5,000 employees
VMware’s view is one of the best virtual desktop software's that I have used so far

What other advice do I have?

View allows for remote desktop access on virtual infrastructure through a hardware device known as thin client and you can also keep your desktop offline and synchronize it again afterwards. View has many components that allow for these capabilities and includes Storage Accelerator, which ensures that virtualized shared storage capacities are optimized; USB connectivity that is upgraded improves support for USB devices, view manager, VMware vCentre Server, view client, VMware vSphere meant for desktops, view composer and a view administrator.
Product Categories
Virtual Desktop
Download our free VMware Horizon View Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.
Quick Links