VMware Identity Manager OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

VMware Identity Manager is #7 ranked solution in top Identity and Access Management as a Service providers. IT Central Station users give VMware Identity Manager an average rating of 8 out of 10. VMware Identity Manager is most commonly compared to CyberArk Privileged Access Manager:VMware Identity Manager vs CyberArk Privileged Access Manager. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a computer software company, accounting for 29% of all views.
What is VMware Identity Manager?
VMware Identity Manager is an Identity as a Service (IDaaS) offering, providing application provisioning, self-service catalog, conditional access controls and Single Sign-On (SSO) for SaaS, web, cloud and native mobile applications. It simplifies business mobility with one touch from any device, empowers employees with a self-service app store, optimizes user experience & security with AirWatch and was designed for the mobile cloud world for AirWatch enrolled devices providing a seamless consumer-grade user experience.

Download the Identity and Access Management as a Service (IDaaS) (IAMaaS) Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: November 2021

VMware Identity Manager Customers
Seventy Seven Energy, The Hut Group, SAIC
VMware Identity Manager Video

Pricing Advice

What users are saying about VMware Identity Manager pricing:
  • "We pay approximately $6.50 per user for the standard version. If you are paying for an enterprise license that includes VDI then it will cost approximately $25 per user on a monthly basis."
  • "Licensing fees are paid on a monthly basis."

VMware Identity Manager Reviews

RN
System Architect at a manufacturing company with 10,001+ employees
Great integration and end user experience

• "One of the features that I enjoyed most was the integration with Azure AD because I could use VMware Identity Manager to standardize the User Principal Name coming from Active Directory. You have Azure AD Connect to do that. In between, if you have vIDM handling it, you can easily get the synchronization of users into your VM and standardize the User Principal Name. If you require quality assurance for handling it, you can actually count on the vIDM to do so. That was one of the main things I enjoyed about the product."
  • "vIDM could be improved with the multi-tenant capabilities that VMware tends to offer—features like customization branding and the integration of the app catalog based on the branding. Since the integration has been at top-level OGs, you were not able to then do rebranding if you were required to use specific user groups to highlight specific applications. At the time, I was personally opening feature requests for these things. I haven't worked with the latest release, so I don't know if these features were already deployed or not."

What is our primary use case?

At the time, our primary use case was for the purpose of having single authentication around endpoints. Every single endpoint was managed by Workspace ONE: iOS, Android devices, and Windows standard devices. We were provisioning payloads. We had a trust relationship between Workspace ONE and the vIDM console, and we were handling certificates around those, to provide seamless certification. In the end, a user with specific applications wouldn't be required to type in any username, password, etc.

vIDM was a SaaS-based solution, at the time, where you had the vIDM connectors in case you were required to have LDAP Synchronization. It was completely on a dedicated cloud from VMware.

How has it helped my organization?

One of the main benefits was end user experience. Imagine that your business apps on your mobile device, for instance, no longer require you to type in your username, password, or second factor of authentication—as long as you're handling a managed and trustworthy device, you can seamlessly log in to applications. In the past, I personally integrated it with applications like SAT and Salesforce. As long as the application offered integration, we could easily do this.

What is most valuable?

One of the features that I enjoyed most was the integration with Azure AD because I could use VMware Identity Manager to standardize the User Principal Name coming from Active Directory. You have Azure AD Connect to do that. In between, if you have vIDM handling it, you can easily get the synchronization of users into your VM and standardize the User Principal Name. If you require quality assurance for handling it, you can actually count on the vIDM to do so. That was one of the main things I enjoyed about the product.

What needs improvement?

vIDM could be improved with the multi-tenant capabilities that VMware tends to offer—features like customization branding and the integration of the app catalog based on the branding. Since the integration has been at top-level OGs, you were not able to then do rebranding if you were required to use specific user groups to highlight specific applications. At the time, I was personally opening feature requests for these things. I haven't worked with the latest release, so I don't know if these features were already deployed or not.

I used vIDM for about four years, though the last time I worked with it was about a year ago.

I can't recall having any problems with stability or performance.

The maintenance, regarding the core system, was provided by VMware directly. For the connectors hosted on our on-prem infrastructure, maintenance was handled by the team responsible for the product.

It's easy to scale, since it's in the cloud. We never had to worry about scalability.

At the time, there were about 120,000 people in the company using this solution.

VMware has the standard support, and then they have enterprise support or special contracts for enterprise support with dedicated teams. We never had to deal with the default, but nonetheless, there will always be glitches around tech support. We were quite knowledgeable about the products, so if we actually raised a ticket, it was because something was definitely not working and there was a bug on the product itself. It was mostly the case that it would be dropped at the product management team directly.

The deployment was complex, considering the infrastructure. Our organization has more than 400,000 users, so the complexity of the in-house infrastructure is quite high, which implies some complexity during the deployment process as well. You need to interact with several teams regarding identity management or identity access management. On a small-sized company, it may be quite straightforward.

We first collected the requirements, which was straightforward. Then—this will depend on the size of the organization—we had five or six people around the required services. They came from Active Directory, the main identity provider, the application owners for service provider integration, and it took them a few days.

We implemented this solution through an in-house team.

What other advice do I have?

I rate vIDM a nine out of ten. During the time I worked with it, it was a really nice product, and it was straightforward and reliable.

Private Cloud

Other
GS
Senior system engineer at KBSL Information Technologies
Good cataloging features and the single sign on saves our clients time

• "The most valuable feature is single sign-on."
  • "We have a lot of problems when it comes to integrating with Active Directory."

What is our primary use case?

We are a solution provider and this is one of the products that we implement for our clients.

Our customers use it as a single catalog for all of the resources.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is single sign-on. It is a true SSO. For example, you can use fingerprint authorization from your Apple iPhone to unlock all of your desktops, corporate applications, and so on.

Our customers primarily use cataloging features.

VMware provides a good user experience in terms of the interface.

There is an application authorization process, where a user will request an application and it will go through a process. It follows a workflow and will request authorization from the user's superior, or perhaps the IT department. It makes it really easy when it comes to application management.

What needs improvement?

We have a lot of problems when it comes to integrating with Active Directory. Simply, it is not consistent when you configure it.

When I compare this with other solutions, the customization is really limited when it comes to cataloging.

Scaling this solution is difficult and it should be easier to do.

It would be really great if, in the future, endpoint management was integrated into the Identity Manager dashboard. It would mean that a single dashboard could be used to control all of the features in this space.

I have been working with VMware Identity Manager for three years.

VMware Identity Manager is really stable. It is smooth and works really nicely.

When it comes to scalability, VMware Identity Manager is more complicated than other solutions. You need to have a second connector to get high availability, for example. When you want to scale vertically or horizontally, it is going to take some effort.

All of my clients are enterprise-level organizations.

Our very first contact with technical support was really bad. After the engineering stuff had been completed, I had to implement it again from scratch.

Since that time, technical support has been fine and all of our subsequent cases went smoothly.

The initial setup is straight forward is the most recent version. In the past, in version 17 for example, we had a lot of problems during installation. Nowadays, there are just a few things to do. It is a virtual appliance and it is really easy to deploy.

If the prerequisites are done correctly, to deploy the product and complete the integration will take at most three hours.

It is usually two people who deploy this solution. Most of the time, I handle the implementation. I normally have one person involved from the client site, who will take care of the prerequisites.

There are two ways that you can license the Identity Manager and you can choose the one that works best for you. You can pay on a monthly basis, which is called VCPP (VMware Cloud Provider Program), or you can buy a perpetual license that you pay for only once.

When it comes to usage licensing, you can pay for concurrent usage, pay on a per-user basis, or pay on a per-device basis.

In addition to the standard licensing fees, you need some kind of database that you need a separate license for. Also, if you are using the cloud-based deployment then you will have to license a connector.

What other advice do I have?

The biggest lesson that I have learned when working with this product is that you can publish to a repository, rather than using a simple network share. Our customer was very happy with this.

Overall, this is a pretty good product that can do many things.

I would rate this solution a ten out of ten.

Find out what your peers are saying about VMware, OneLogin, SailPoint and others in Identity and Access Management as a Service (IDaaS) (IAMaaS). Updated: November 2021.
554,586 professionals have used our research since 2012.
TH
CEO at Aerion Solutions Oy
Can be tailor-made to suit your needs; Zero Trust is a key feature

• "Zero Trust implementation is a great feature."
  • "The mobile SSO doesn't work as well on Android."

What is our primary use case?

Our use case of this solution is for the Zero Trust feature; when anyone from the company logs in, the authentication goes through VMware Access and checks that only devices owned by our company can access all their source and on-premise applications. I'm CEO of the company.

What is most valuable?

We use the solution in conjunction with Okta and that is perfect because it enables us to set it up and get the best out of the Zero Trust implementation. Both the identity MSA as well as the device are checked at the same time.

What needs improvement?

Using the solution on Android requires a special setup, the mobile SSO doesn't work as well. It would be easier if it was integrated and we could do it similarly to the iOS SSO setup.

Our users access the solution every day and we haven't had a single stability issue in the past 12 months. It just works. We have one person working part-time on maintenance which is usually when we have changes to our applications, otherwise, it just runs in the background. Because it's a SaaS service all the upgrades are done automatically in the cloud.

We've done 10,000 implementations globally and we have 250 users in the company. The advantage of it being a SaaS application means that even small companies, say 10 or 20 people, can use it. There's no financial hindrance to doing that.

They have a very knowledgeable guy, who's worked on the development side and provides us with good service. With some of the bigger US software companies, getting through the first level of support can be tedious.

The initial setup is pretty simple. We deployed internally, we have really good senior consultants who carry out the installations for us and for our customers. Deployment takes a maximum of two days.

The solution is licensed per user. It's part of their advanced package, and it comes together with the MDM part. Depending on your needs, the license can be $40, $60, or $100 per year. It's an SaaS subscription.

VMware bought AirWatch mobile management and married Identity Manager with MDM. When VMware and Okta started working together for Adobe, they needed to make it work successfully. When we got the results, it was a no-brainer for us.

What other advice do I have?

It's important to look at the bigger picture to get the full benefit of the product. It can be tailor-made to suit your needs. Some countries might not be able to access it or they might find that there's an extra MFA. MDM or Identity Manager separately are not enough. You need both, as well as Okta to get the full story, so to speak. They work closely with VMware so that the pieces all work together with their product. It's perfect for our customers and our company. The important thing is that it's developing all the time and they are constantly working on it, so if it's good now, it will be good in two years as well.

I rate the solution nine out of 10.

CG
CEO at a computer software company with self employed
Good technical support, but better support for multi-cloud sessions is needed

• "The most valuable feature is the User Experience Designer, which has been very helpful for our project."
  • "I would like to have better support for multi-cloud sessions."

What is most valuable?

What needs improvement?

I would like to have better support for multi-cloud sessions.

The cost of this solution should be lower.

I have been using the VMware Identity Manager for five or six years.

This is a stable product.

VMware Identity Manager is scalable and we have approximately ten users.

Technical support from VMware is one of the best in the market.

I have also worked with Amazon AWS Directory Service and Google Cloud Identity. I find that there is no normalization in these solutions.

The initial setup is easy.

Licensing fees are paid on a monthly basis.

What other advice do I have?

My advice to anybody who is implementing this solution is to be close attention to the rights that are given to end-users. This is a critical aspect.

I would rate this solution a six out of ten.

Download our free Identity and Access Management as a Service (IDaaS) (IAMaaS) Report and find out what your peers are saying about VMware, OneLogin, SailPoint, and more!