VMware Identity Manager OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

VMware Identity Manager is the #8 ranked solution in our list of top Identity and Access Management as a Service providers. It is most often compared to Cisco ISE (Identity Services Engine): VMware Identity Manager vs Cisco ISE (Identity Services Engine)

What is VMware Identity Manager?
VMware Identity Manager is an Identity as a Service (IDaaS) offering, providing application provisioning, self-service catalog, conditional access controls and Single Sign-On (SSO) for SaaS, web, cloud and native mobile applications. It simplifies business mobility with one touch from any device, empowers employees with a self-service app store, optimizes user experience & security with AirWatch and was designed for the mobile cloud world for AirWatch enrolled devices providing a seamless consumer-grade user experience.
VMware Identity Manager Buyer's Guide

Download the VMware Identity Manager Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: October 2021

VMware Identity Manager Customers
Seventy Seven Energy, The Hut Group, SAIC
VMware Identity Manager Video

Pricing Advice

What users are saying about VMware Identity Manager pricing:
  • "We pay approximately $6.50 per user for the standard version. If you are paying for an enterprise license that includes VDI then it will cost approximately $25 per user on a monthly basis."
  • "Licensing fees are paid on a monthly basis."

VMware Identity Manager Reviews

GS
Senior system engineer at KBSL Information Technologies
Good cataloging features and the single sign on saves our clients time

• "The most valuable feature is single sign-on."
  • "We have a lot of problems when it comes to integrating with Active Directory."

What is our primary use case?

We are a solution provider and this is one of the products that we implement for our clients.

Our customers use it as a single catalog for all of the resources.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is single sign-on. It is a true SSO. For example, you can use fingerprint authorization from your Apple iPhone to unlock all of your desktops, corporate applications, and so on.

Our customers primarily use cataloging features.

VMware provides a good user experience in terms of the interface.

There is an application authorization process, where a user will request an application and it will go through a process. It follows a workflow and will request authorization from the user's superior, or perhaps the IT department. It makes it really easy when it comes to application management.

What needs improvement?

We have a lot of problems when it comes to integrating with Active Directory. Simply, it is not consistent when you configure it.

When I compare this with other solutions, the customization is really limited when it comes to cataloging.

Scaling this solution is difficult and it should be easier to do.

It would be really great if, in the future, endpoint management was integrated into the Identity Manager dashboard. It would mean that a single dashboard could be used to control all of the features in this space.

I have been working with VMware Identity Manager for three years.

VMware Identity Manager is really stable. It is smooth and works really nicely.

When it comes to scalability, VMware Identity Manager is more complicated than other solutions. You need to have a second connector to get high availability, for example. When you want to scale vertically or horizontally, it is going to take some effort.

All of my clients are enterprise-level organizations.

Our very first contact with technical support was really bad. After the engineering stuff had been completed, I had to implement it again from scratch.

Since that time, technical support has been fine and all of our subsequent cases went smoothly.

The initial setup is straight forward is the most recent version. In the past, in version 17 for example, we had a lot of problems during installation. Nowadays, there are just a few things to do. It is a virtual appliance and it is really easy to deploy.

If the prerequisites are done correctly, to deploy the product and complete the integration will take at most three hours.

It is usually two people who deploy this solution. Most of the time, I handle the implementation. I normally have one person involved from the client site, who will take care of the prerequisites.

There are two ways that you can license the Identity Manager and you can choose the one that works best for you. You can pay on a monthly basis, which is called VCPP (VMware Cloud Provider Program), or you can buy a perpetual license that you pay for only once.

When it comes to usage licensing, you can pay for concurrent usage, pay on a per-user basis, or pay on a per-device basis.

In addition to the standard licensing fees, you need some kind of database that you need a separate license for. Also, if you are using the cloud-based deployment then you will have to license a connector.

What other advice do I have?

The biggest lesson that I have learned when working with this product is that you can publish to a repository, rather than using a simple network share. Our customer was very happy with this.

Overall, this is a pretty good product that can do many things.

I would rate this solution a ten out of ten.

TH
CEO at Aerion Solutions Oy
Can be tailor-made to suit your needs; Zero Trust is a key feature

• "Zero Trust implementation is a great feature."
  • "The mobile SSO doesn't work as well on Android."

What is our primary use case?

Our use case of this solution is for the Zero Trust feature; when anyone from the company logs in, the authentication goes through VMware Access and checks that only devices owned by our company can access all their source and on-premise applications. I'm CEO of the company.

What is most valuable?

We use the solution in conjunction with Okta and that is perfect because it enables us to set it up and get the best out of the Zero Trust implementation. Both the identity MSA as well as the device are checked at the same time.

What needs improvement?

Using the solution on Android requires a special setup, the mobile SSO doesn't work as well. It would be easier if it was integrated and we could do it similarly to the iOS SSO setup.

Our users access the solution every day and we haven't had a single stability issue in the past 12 months. It just works. We have one person working part-time on maintenance which is usually when we have changes to our applications, otherwise, it just runs in the background. Because it's a SaaS service all the upgrades are done automatically in the cloud.

We've done 10,000 implementations globally and we have 250 users in the company. The advantage of it being a SaaS application means that even small companies, say 10 or 20 people, can use it. There's no financial hindrance to doing that.

They have a very knowledgeable guy, who's worked on the development side and provides us with good service. With some of the bigger US software companies, getting through the first level of support can be tedious.

The initial setup is pretty simple. We deployed internally, we have really good senior consultants who carry out the installations for us and for our customers. Deployment takes a maximum of two days.

The solution is licensed per user. It's part of their advanced package, and it comes together with the MDM part. Depending on your needs, the license can be $40, $60, or $100 per year. It's an SaaS subscription.

VMware bought AirWatch mobile management and married Identity Manager with MDM. When VMware and Okta started working together for Adobe, they needed to make it work successfully. When we got the results, it was a no-brainer for us.

What other advice do I have?

It's important to look at the bigger picture to get the full benefit of the product. It can be tailor-made to suit your needs. Some countries might not be able to access it or they might find that there's an extra MFA. MDM or Identity Manager separately are not enough. You need both, as well as Okta to get the full story, so to speak. They work closely with VMware so that the pieces all work together with their product. It's perfect for our customers and our company. The important thing is that it's developing all the time and they are constantly working on it, so if it's good now, it will be good in two years as well.

I rate the solution nine out of 10.

Learn what your peers think about VMware Identity Manager. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: October 2021.
543,089 professionals have used our research since 2012.
TH
CEO at Aerion Solutions Oy
Offers access to different applications and has a good dashboard and interface

• "It helps the end users to work on the road without needing to set up all kinds of VPN connections"
  • "it's very dependent on an active directory"

What is our primary use case?

I am the CEO of our company and we implemented VMware to help our users when they go to different source applications. We wanted that to be easier for them.

What is most valuable?

I'm happy with the interface and dashboards but the most valuable feature comes from the name of the product - it's now called VMware Access, so it's the access to the different applications and so on that makes it a good product. It provides a single page where you can log in to all of your applications. It saves time and simplifies the work because it has to have the application for iOS, Android, Windows, and Mac OS web-based too. So basically all of our users can use all the applications from any platform. It helps the end-users to work on the road without needing to set up all kinds of VPN connections, etc. There's access to all the applications you want, whenever you want them.

What needs improvement?

I think the product could be improved by making it more independent. For now, it's very dependent on an active directory so that you could basically tie into us for A, B or some other IDP that they provide.

Another aspect that could be improved in the next release is to have local language support. It's not a big issue because you have their icon soft applications there, but it would be nice to have the Finnish language there as well.

Additional features they could include would be integration with Microsoft Windows desktop, which is the VDI for Microsoft. I have heard that they plan to do that so I'm looking forward to getting that in there.

I've been working with VMware Identity Manager for almost four years.

The product is very stable.

The product is very scalable. I think it would scale to tens of thousands if needed, but we don't need that much.

The cloud version is quite simple and straightforward. The initial setup and implementation took one day and of course then each application where you want to do the single sign-on. That requires planning because it needs to be done at a certain time. But then if you want to define integration there, you have to wait for the right time. Then a second application after one week, and then possibly once a week after that and so on. It takes some time, of course. You need to decide when you want to integrate the applications because it has to be done one at a time, not everything at once.

We checked a couple of other options before going with the product, but because we have VMware, MDM, it meant that Air Watch mobile device management is used so it was a natural step that led to using Identity Manager there as well.

What other advice do I have?

We deploy both on-premises and cloud. The auto-prem is easier but the cloud is much better. It's important when installing that the roadmap of the application integration is carried out correctly.

I would rate this product an eight out of 10.

Mohamed Zein
Datacenter Team Leader at a tech services company with 201-500 employees
Scalable with good technical support, but integration needs improvement

• "The most valuable feature is that it will use my credentials to access various parts of the infrastructure or other solutions, such as vRealize."
  • "Many of the features that exist in Active Directory do not exist in Identity Manager, which means that people depend on Active Directory."

What is our primary use case?

I use this solution as a single sign-on, and I can join other domains in my environment. You can also get permission from the users to access something from my desktop or portable.

What is most valuable?

If some kind of disaster happens then it is possible to restore the identity manager database from a backup.

What needs improvement?

I would like to integrate this solution with VRE and VDI. They can now be installed, but they operate as separate components.

I have been using this solution for approximately three years.

This is a scalable solution. We can have dual or multiple identity managers and replicate data between them.

The technical support is good and we have had no problem with them.

The initial setup of this solution is straightforward.

What other advice do I have?

This is a solution that I recommend.

For the purpose that this solution is designed for it works great, but it doesn't compare well with other solutions.

I would rate this solution a five out of ten.

CG
CEO at a computer software company with self employed
Good technical support, but better support for multi-cloud sessions is needed

• "The most valuable feature is the User Experience Designer, which has been very helpful for our project."
  • "I would like to have better support for multi-cloud sessions."

What is most valuable?

What needs improvement?

I would like to have better support for multi-cloud sessions.

The cost of this solution should be lower.

I have been using the VMware Identity Manager for five or six years.

This is a stable product.

VMware Identity Manager is scalable and we have approximately ten users.

Technical support from VMware is one of the best in the market.

I have also worked with Amazon AWS Directory Service and Google Cloud Identity. I find that there is no normalization in these solutions.

The initial setup is easy.

Licensing fees are paid on a monthly basis.

What other advice do I have?

My advice to anybody who is implementing this solution is to be close attention to the rights that are given to end-users. This is a critical aspect.

I would rate this solution a six out of ten.

Download our free VMware Identity Manager Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.