VMware Identity Manager OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

VMware Identity Manager is #7 ranked solution in top Identity and Access Management as a Service providers. IT Central Station users give VMware Identity Manager an average rating of 8 out of 10. VMware Identity Manager is most commonly compared to CyberArk Privileged Access Manager:VMware Identity Manager vs CyberArk Privileged Access Manager. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a computer software company, accounting for 29% of all views.
What is VMware Identity Manager?
VMware Identity Manager is an Identity as a Service (IDaaS) offering, providing application provisioning, self-service catalog, conditional access controls and Single Sign-On (SSO) for SaaS, web, cloud and native mobile applications. It simplifies business mobility with one touch from any device, empowers employees with a self-service app store, optimizes user experience & security with AirWatch and was designed for the mobile cloud world for AirWatch enrolled devices providing a seamless consumer-grade user experience.

Download the Identity and Access Management as a Service (IDaaS) (IAMaaS) Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: November 2021

VMware Identity Manager Customers
Seventy Seven Energy, The Hut Group, SAIC
VMware Identity Manager Video

Archived VMware Identity Manager Reviews (more than two years old)

TH
CEO at Aerion Solutions Oy
Offers access to different applications and has a good dashboard and interface

• "It helps the end users to work on the road without needing to set up all kinds of VPN connections"
  • "it's very dependent on an active directory"

What is our primary use case?

I am the CEO of our company and we implemented VMware to help our users when they go to different source applications. We wanted that to be easier for them.

What is most valuable?

I'm happy with the interface and dashboards but the most valuable feature comes from the name of the product - it's now called VMware Access, so it's the access to the different applications and so on that makes it a good product. It provides a single page where you can log in to all of your applications. It saves time and simplifies the work because it has to have the application for iOS, Android, Windows, and Mac OS web-based too. So basically all of our users can use all the applications from any platform. It helps the end-users to work on the road without needing to set up all kinds of VPN connections, etc. There's access to all the applications you want, whenever you want them.

What needs improvement?

I think the product could be improved by making it more independent. For now, it's very dependent on an active directory so that you could basically tie into us for A, B or some other IDP that they provide.

Another aspect that could be improved in the next release is to have local language support. It's not a big issue because you have their icon soft applications there, but it would be nice to have the Finnish language there as well.

Additional features they could include would be integration with Microsoft Windows desktop, which is the VDI for Microsoft. I have heard that they plan to do that so I'm looking forward to getting that in there.

I've been working with VMware Identity Manager for almost four years.

The product is very stable.

The product is very scalable. I think it would scale to tens of thousands if needed, but we don't need that much.

The cloud version is quite simple and straightforward. The initial setup and implementation took one day and of course then each application where you want to do the single sign-on. That requires planning because it needs to be done at a certain time. But then if you want to define integration there, you have to wait for the right time. Then a second application after one week, and then possibly once a week after that and so on. It takes some time, of course. You need to decide when you want to integrate the applications because it has to be done one at a time, not everything at once.

We checked a couple of other options before going with the product, but because we have VMware, MDM, it meant that Air Watch mobile device management is used so it was a natural step that led to using Identity Manager there as well.

What other advice do I have?

We deploy both on-premises and cloud. The auto-prem is easier but the cloud is much better. It's important when installing that the roadmap of the application integration is carried out correctly.

I would rate this product an eight out of 10.

Mohamed Zein
Datacenter Team Leader at a tech services company with 201-500 employees
Scalable with good technical support, but integration needs improvement

• "The most valuable feature is that it will use my credentials to access various parts of the infrastructure or other solutions, such as vRealize."
  • "Many of the features that exist in Active Directory do not exist in Identity Manager, which means that people depend on Active Directory."

What is our primary use case?

I use this solution as a single sign-on, and I can join other domains in my environment. You can also get permission from the users to access something from my desktop or portable.

What is most valuable?

If some kind of disaster happens then it is possible to restore the identity manager database from a backup.

What needs improvement?

I would like to integrate this solution with VRE and VDI. They can now be installed, but they operate as separate components.

I have been using this solution for approximately three years.

This is a scalable solution. We can have dual or multiple identity managers and replicate data between them.

The technical support is good and we have had no problem with them.

The initial setup of this solution is straightforward.

What other advice do I have?

This is a solution that I recommend.

For the purpose that this solution is designed for it works great, but it doesn't compare well with other solutions.

I would rate this solution a five out of ten.

Find out what your peers are saying about VMware, OneLogin, SailPoint and others in Identity and Access Management as a Service (IDaaS) (IAMaaS). Updated: November 2021.
554,586 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Tony Ayabam
CEO at Infohob
Scalable, affordable, and easy to deploy

• "The solution was easy to deploy."
  • "The security features could always use improvement, although there has already been a huge improvement from years ago."

What is our primary use case?

We have used the solution to deploy for corporate organizations and also for complex networks.

What needs improvement?

I would say that VMware has actually met all of our requirements. I don't feel like we presently need to actually have any improvements. It's actually a good fit, especially for our market.

I've been using the solution for 11 months.

The solution is scalable.

The solution was easy to deploy.

I have an internal team for the deployment. Interestingly, I actually am the founder of a company, and one of the other founders of the company is a VMware partner.

The price is high. Also, the infrastructure requirements are huge. We're looking at three locations then I'm also looking at connectivity in between locations and then I'm also looking at the application.

What other advice do I have?

I'm currently in the process of testing the solution. In terms of cost, I'd probably go with HP or VMware. We have a number of VMware implementations, so VMware is the only solution that we have actually used.

Generally, I am satisfied with VMware because they have been quite responsive in terms of the kind of challenges that we have in the Central African region. We have solutions that are very scalable. It's also very flexible, especially with regard to multi-cloud infrastructure. In other areas, it's actually not more capable in terms of running the virtual machine. It's also more flexible in terms of the choice of hardware that you'd actually like to use.

We haven't actually used VMware outside of the test environment. Previously, one of our challenges was providing enough security in the virtual environment but VMware achieved that years ago. I don't quite see any urgent need for me, but maybe other organizations may require VMware for a more complex deployment. For us, VMware, pretty good.

It's also scalable, it's more affordable, and it's also easier to deploy. It's not restrictive to particular hardware. VMware meets practically all of our expectations at this point.

I would rate this solution nine out of 10.

Download our free Identity and Access Management as a Service (IDaaS) (IAMaaS) Report and find out what your peers are saying about VMware, OneLogin, SailPoint, and more!