VMware NSX Overview

VMware NSX is the #1 ranked solution in our list of top Network Virtualization tools. It is most often compared to Cisco ACI: VMware NSX vs Cisco ACI

What is VMware NSX?
VMware NSX is the network virtualization platform for the Software-Defined Data Center (SDDC). By bringing the operational model of a virtual machine to your data center network, you can transform the economics of network and security operations. NSX lets you treat your physical network as a pool of transport capacity, with network and security services attached to VMs with a policy-driven approach.

VMware NSX is also known as VMware Nicira.

VMware NSX Buyer's Guide

Download the VMware NSX Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: July 2021

VMware NSX Customers
City of Avondale, Lumeta, Kroll Ontrack, Heartland Payment Systems, Baystate Heallth, Exostar, Tribune Media, iGATE, NTT Communications, Synergent, California Natural Resources Agency, Bloomington Public Schools, Columbia Sportswear, Join Experience S.A, Schuberg Philis
VMware NSX Video

Pricing Advice

What users are saying about VMware NSX pricing:
  • "I was not involved in the purchase of the solution but I hear it is on the expensive side."
  • "The licensing fees are expensive and we pay on a yearly basis."
  • "The price is based on the virtual desktop infrastructure(VDI) side and also is dependant on the size of the environment. The price is expensive and it could attract more purchasers in smaller organisations if it was reduced."

Roger Nurse
VMware NSX T/V Consulting Engineer /Solutions Architect at Plan IT Virtual, LLC
Allows for seamless micro-segmentation and the support is exceptional

What is our primary use case?

The Environment was an active-active Tier-0 multi-site deployment (primary/secondary). It contained compute and management clusters, and a small number of transport ESXi nodes (between five and six) v6.7u2, vCenter 6.7u2, AD. The primary use case was to implement micro-segmentation and route production workloads through NSX-T via BGP. Our customer needed assurances that BGP routing within NSX-T would be efficient. We implemented a very simple architecture and setup site with one NSX Manager as the primary source. This was a financial customer, thus security was the main item. We had to explain… more »

• "From a security standpoint, the customer was able to better secure critical workloads while routing L2/L3 worked normally, giving them more confidence that they would be ready for any potential security incident mitigation or outage (DR)."
  • "Traffic flow introspection topology visibility is definitely needed because at the moment, NSX-T lacks in this area."

What other advice do I have?

An NSX-T solution requires a solid understanding of routing/switching, IP pools, local egress, and solution design to be successful. It takes a team of both VMware and Cisco folks to collaborate to get it done right the first time. As a customer, make sure you are hiring the best resources.
SB
Senior Infrastructure Engineer at a retailer with 10,001+ employees
Feature rich, distributing routing useful, but expensive

What is our primary use case?

Have used this solution to implement PAS (PCF) and have also used it for Native Datacenter networking as part of DC refresh.

• "This is a good firewall and overall it is rich in features."
  • "There are sometimes mismatch in the control, the details and what you actually see on the transport note."

What other advice do I have?

If you are wanting to implement this solution I would advise if your project supports it then definitely. You should have a solid use case, the solution is rich in feature sets and you should use all of them. Then only is it worth the money, if you are just buying it for your logical switching and routing, then it is not worth it. I rate VMware NSX a seven out of ten.
Learn what your peers think about VMware NSX. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: July 2021.
522,693 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Roger Nurse
VMware NSX T/V Consulting Engineer /Solutions Architect at Plan IT Virtual, LLC
It has allowed our customers to scale/extend their existing IP subnets and spin up new subnets on-demand for new app/web/DB tiers.

What is our primary use case?

Primary use case is to implement network virtualization for L2/L3 traffic in customers environment and at a minimum implement baseline micro segmentation. each customer has a different business requirement depending on how their existing network is setup --what physical L3 devices are in place and how NSX will need to be configured to function properly. Most customer using NSX V that we have worked with are running UCS servers or HP with vsphere 6.7 /7 mid level transport node counts respectively etc.

What other advice do I have?

Typically CCIE's are the ones tasked with implementing NSX due to their solid network background. Organizations for the most part do not have resources that know VMware as well as they know Cisco. The skills required to be well versed in deploying this technology is rare.
WJ
Senior Cloud Consultant with 201-500 employees
Reseller
Good security with improved scalability and allows for the creation of virtual access networks

What is our primary use case?

I work with two different companies with different large cloud environments. This product is a software-defined network, and that allows you to create virtual access networks and managing security to allow for different workloads.

• "One of the big improvements between the NSX-V and NSX-T is that in NSX-T you are no longer dependent on V-Center anymore."
  • "Some configuration maximums are limiting to the user, especially when it comes to the deployment of very, very large environments."

What other advice do I have?

We are consultants and integrators. We have a business relationship with VMware. I am working with both NSX-V and NSX-T. The latest one is actually NSX-T. On a scale from one to ten, I would rate it at an eight.
GG
Senior Solution Architect at a financial services firm with 10,001+ employees
Scalable, problem-free and very stable

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution in order to build a private cloud.

• "Overall, I would say the solution has been quite stable."
  • "Our technical team is always looking for the solutions that they work with to offer more convenient integrations."

What other advice do I have?

We are just a customer and end-user. We don't have a business relationship with VMware. We use a few different VMware products, not just NSX. We aren't necessarily using the latest version of the solution. We usually use the latest minus one or two versions. In general, I would rate the solution at an eight out of ten. We've been mostly quite please with it.
Senior Consultant at a consultancy with 10,001+ employees
Easy to set up, with good features for automation and software-defined networking

What is our primary use case?

We use this product for micro-segmentation and network function virtualization.

• "This is the most scalable product of its type."
  • "The training costs a minimum of $3,000, which is expensive and should be reduced."

What other advice do I have?

This is a good product and one that I recommend for anybody who does not want to change their existing infrastructure. The problem is that they have to compete with the likes of AWS and cloud providers. I would rate this solution an eight out of ten.
Frederic LAPLAGNE
President at AKAWAN
Intuitive system, highly scalable, and reliable

What is our primary use case?

We use the solution mainly for micro-segmentation and to permit security on flat networks without a V-LAN.

• "I have found the system to be very intuitive, functional, and they have great technology."
  • "In the future, the solution should be compliant with internet NIC."

What other advice do I have?

I would definitely recommend this solution to others. I have deployed it in many different types of environments and it operates well. I rate VMware NSX an eight out of ten.
AS
Network Practice Lead at a tech services company with 11-50 employees
Good integration with Active Directory and VMware products, but it lacks a network to connect to

What is our primary use case?

We are a professional services company and we have been evaluating VMware NSX for our clients.

• "The most valuable features for us at this early stage are the interface and the integration with existing VMware solutions."
  • "Everybody needs a network to connect to, and VMware doesn't readily provide one."

What other advice do I have?

My advice for anybody who is considering this product is to definitely start with a proof of concept. Be sure to understand your business requirements, networking, and security requirements as well. I am currently evaluating different scenarios on scalability, integration with other products, and the underlay of the solution. While it may be a good product, I think that VMware should buy a network provider that offers the entire end-to-end networking solution. I would rate this solution a five out of ten.
See 13 more VMware NSX Reviews