VMware NSX OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

VMware NSX is the #1 ranked solution in our list of top Network Virtualization tools. It is most often compared to Cisco ACI: VMware NSX vs Cisco ACI

What is VMware NSX?
VMware NSX is the network virtualization platform for the Software-Defined Data Center (SDDC). By bringing the operational model of a virtual machine to your data center network, you can transform the economics of network and security operations. NSX lets you treat your physical network as a pool of transport capacity, with network and security services attached to VMs with a policy-driven approach.

VMware NSX is also known as VMware Nicira.

VMware NSX Buyer's Guide

Download the VMware NSX Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: September 2021

VMware NSX Customers
City of Avondale, Lumeta, Kroll Ontrack, Heartland Payment Systems, Baystate Heallth, Exostar, Tribune Media, iGATE, NTT Communications, Synergent, California Natural Resources Agency, Bloomington Public Schools, Columbia Sportswear, Join Experience S.A, Schuberg Philis
VMware NSX Video

Archived VMware NSX Reviews (more than two years old)

DS
VMware NSX Specialist at Tivit
It provides visibility, because on our environment, it's impossible mapping end to end

What is our primary use case?

Deployment Planning and designing Troubleshooting sustain.

How has it helped my organization?

Faster delivery of VMs Providing NAT Firewall rules Balance Connectivity between physical and virtual environments.

What is most valuable?

Visibility, because on our environment, it's impossible mapping end to end, and we don't have any tools that provide this integration.

What needs improvement?

vRNI Improve integration with many third-party solutions, because only Palo Alto and Check Point, and VMware would be like improve this integration with other vendors.

What is our primary use case?

• Deployment
  • Planning and designing
  • Troubleshooting sustain.

How has it helped my organization?

• Faster delivery of VMs
  • Providing NAT
  • Firewall rules
  • Balance
  • Connectivity between physical and virtual environments.

What is most valuable?

What needs improvement?

• vRNI
  • Improve integration with many third-party solutions, because only Palo Alto and Check Point, and VMware would be like improve this integration with other vendors.
CK
Dept. Manager at a financial services firm with 10,001+ employees
Prolonged hardware refresh and cloud infrastructure gives us many advantages

• "Their technical support is very good. They help us figure out solutions when we have problems."
  • "The initial establishment can be complex."

What is our primary use case?

We use this solution in our private clouds networking environment. We have some subsidiaries that we service and are trying to isolate each of them in this network.

How has it helped my organization?

It has helped us prolong our hardware research. We haven't had to change hardware in five years.

What is most valuable?

Security and cloud readiness are the most valuable features for us. We're interested in looking into microsegmentation.

What needs improvement?

I would like to see some more add-ons on the security features.

It's very stable and robust. We haven't had any issues with it.

Scalability is a great feature.

The initial setup was straightforward.

We integrated in-house.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate this solution a nine because we maximize most of its features. We have many advantages with the cloud infrastructure. I would tell someone looking into this solution to go for it. At first, it may seem to be complex but using it will make it easier to manage jobs. Yes, its initial establishment can be complex but you will see its advantages later on.

Learn what your peers think about VMware NSX. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: September 2021.
541,708 professionals have used our research since 2012.
TS
Technology Manager
easy set up and enables us to build one fabric over an IP transport

• "The initial setup was straightforward. It follows a certain structure and you won't miss a step. It's all on the same level, step by step."
  • "I would like them to make integration with other vendors easier."

What is our primary use case?

Our customers had multiple data centers in different locations. Now, with NSX we built one fabric over an IP transport, like WAN internet. When we created the switches, it spread out over the data centers which are the configuration and the management of the underlying network for the VM workloads.

How has it helped my organization?

The reusability of the objects for the switches has improved our client's organization. For example, if I do some sort of vMotion, there is no need to recreate the portal groups on the other sides. We have one centralized NSX Manager which is managing those controllers on those sites.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features would be the easy management and the possibility of using our existing vSphere environment so that we don't need to purchase a new hardware.

Layers 4 and 7 load balancing are good. We like that it's integrated with the vSphere. This means that we can see its full capabilities because of the full visibility of the kernel on the NSX management.

Microsementation is really powerful. With the existing networks of the legacy networks, we need to build a firewall between the segments in order to do microsegmentation but now having, for example, one VLAN connected to multiple VLANs, I can do micro-segmentation between the workloads even with the ushering the same segments.

What needs improvement?

I would like them to make integration with other vendors easier.

It's pretty stable. Just deploy it and just forget about it. It's also robust, flexible, and scalable.

Scalability is really easy. We can scale within an hour. We can scale either new controllers or add new hosts to the fabric.

We haven't had to use their technical support yet, which is a good thing.

I'm involved in the decision making. My boss would say that it's time to advance the customer so we'll look into a solution.

We were already a VMware-based customer so our first option for an SDN solution was to go with NSX.

It has saved us CapEx. They should adjust the license for NSX so that we can invest in the infrastructure or purchasing of new hardware. This solution is reasonably priced compared to other vendors.

Our customers usually compare NSX to Cisco ACI. The main issue is the underlying network that VMware does not provide visibility to. They chose NSX because they were already VMware customers and they already had vSphere. The second reason they chose NSX is because of the powerful features like microsegmentation, as opposed to relying on other vendors to manage the microsegmentation feature.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate this solution an eight because of its ease of deployment. I'm a partner so this is what I mostly care about. Also because of the ease of scalability.

If you're looking into NSX or similar solutions I would recommend you to first learn about vSphere and other VMware products because it's essential in order to implement NSX. Without that knowledge, it would be hard for you to understand.

And to those who think NSX is complex I would say it's not. You need to try it and see.

PD
EMEA Infrastructure Manager at a manufacturing company with 1,001-5,000 employees
It's a complex solution but not as much for the key user

What is our primary use case?

We just introduced NSX in our headquarters. We have it running in some labs, but no real experiences. We've been using it for six months. Our objective is to know each features component and how it works. Depending on the business requirements, we would adapt the solution as needed. This is the reason why we work a lot from the maps and then anticipate when we need a new feature for our company.

What is most valuable?

We like that NSX is integrated with everything.  The load balancing is a real major opportunity for us. As a CIO, we have 99.9% network security. We would like to optimize this product.

Less than one year.

The feedback we're getting from the…

What is our primary use case?

What is most valuable?

We like that NSX is integrated with everything.

Less than one year.

The feedback we're getting from the labs is that the stability is rich and that we haven't had any trouble with it. The stability is really, really good.

We didn't use a service for implementation but we have a consultant to help us get a better understanding of NSX and to teach us the best practices.

What other advice do I have?

To those who say this solution is complex, I would say it is but not for the key user. You just need to learn the standards and mechanics for your specific product. That means that it's simple even if it's really complex beyond that.

AM
Solutions Architect at a retailer with 10,001+ employees
Allows us to create very specific segments for each part of the company and the microsegmentation feature is easy to use

• "You can easily integrate this with other VMware products. It is a robust solution."
  • "If you're worried that NSX is too complex, I would tell you to take another look. If you compare NSX to a similar solution you might find it to be a bit more complex. Usually, the guy that comes in to implement NSX isn't the network guy and will lack the knowledge for the program. He can lack the knowledge for this program and will therefore think it's complex. You need somebody with network experience."

What is our primary use case?

We use this solution for extended on-premise capabilities. We've been using it for five years.

How has it helped my organization?

I use the cloud now but in the past, we were able to create very specific segments for each part of the company.

What is most valuable?

We like that we can split networks. Layers 4 and 7 are nice. We like that load balancing is easy for the person running it and certain features like the web bouncers F5.

We like that the microsegmentation feature is easy to use. It is easy to segment the network.

What needs improvement?

At the moment it hasn't helped us prolong our hardware refresh.

Three to five years.

You can easily integrate this with other VMware products. It is a robust solution.

The scalability is good.

I never had to use their technical support.

We were trying to save money and trying to use a more flexible solution so we decided to go with NSX as opposed to another hardware or solution.

I found that it was easy to install. In fact, I installed it myself.

We saw ROI within the first year and a half.

It has helped us save CapEx but I'm not sure exactly how much.

What other advice do I have?

I rated this solution a nine because it's easy to use. It has a lot of capabilities, like microsegmentation, which is very good.

MW
Lead at Accenture
We can do a lot of things without waiting for the purchase of additional devices, such as setting up VRF on physical devices

• "The firewall is its most valuable feature."
  • "We would like tenant segmentation available in future releases."

What is our primary use case?

We support clients who use on-premise VMware NSX. We provide daily maintenance and support for this solution.

How has it helped my organization?

We are mostly using it for microsegmentation, which is very good. We now use it on a daily basis. Our clients are very satisfied that we can limit ourselves to NSX without the need to purchasing additional network systems and physical devices.

We can do a lot of things without waiting for the purchase of additional devices, such as setting up VRF on physical devices. We are able to implement a lot of things with the infrastructure code.

What is most valuable?

The firewall is its most valuable feature.

It is a mature solution that is available for enterprise companies.

What needs improvement?

We would like tenant segmentation available in future releases.

So far, so good.

We haven't face any problems yet with scalability. Hopefully, it will stay that way.

We were previously using the physical devices from Cisco.

The setup is not easy, but it is doable.

We did it ourselves.

We have been able to save CAPEX with this solution.

We chose NSX because we were looking for a product with network polarization, so VMware was the first choice for us.

What other advice do I have?

PoC the platform before you test it. It is not so bad.

We are using the VVD implementation. It is implemented together with the vRA, vROps, and other solutions.

SA
System Engineer at a tech services company with 501-1,000 employees
It is robust and easy to implement

• "It is easy to implement it."
  • "If there are other solutions already in place, it can be difficult to implement."

What is our primary use case?

We use it for microsegmentation, and it has performed well.

How has it helped my organization?

We use this in combination with VMware Horizon View. With Horizon, we have an isolated environment.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is to control application behavior.

It provides us with features that other products have not.

What needs improvement?

If you start with a new or greenfield environment, it is okay to implement. However, if there are other solutions already in place, it can be difficult to implement.

The stability is very good.

Because it is in the VMkernel, it is robust.

I have no contact at the moment with VMware support about NSX.

It is easy to implement it.

I am the partner. I work with the customer to do the deployment.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend it to another person.

We do not integrate it with vCloud Director.

I don't use load balancer at the moment.

AL
Information Security Manager at Anana LTD
We have saved man-hours and decreased our security exposure

• "The microsegmentation allows me to sleep at night. My job is reducing risk, plugging security holes, and working with the automated layer security. Even if somebody spins up a new server, it has to have a tag in NSX."
  • "I would like to have automating reporting built into common service management platforms, such as JIRA, Serviceaide, and ServiceNow."

What is our primary use case?

The primary use case is the microsegmentation of all our infrastructure, which is a huge bonus. It's performed well.

How has it helped my organization?

The microsegmentation allows me to sleep at night. My job is reducing risk, plugging security holes, and working with the automated layer security. Even if somebody spins up a new server, it has to have a tag in NSX. Therefore, all the security rules are already applied across the infrastructure or automatically applied to new machines. It doesn't generate any new security holes if people have new products. It gives peace of mind that project managers are not screwing up my entire security posture.

What is most valuable?

Automation, because we're constantly onboarding massive customers. We have our own management system, which integrates nicely with NSX. Therefore, we've built an automation layer so we can deploy and completely secure new customers in a hosted environment within a couple of minutes.

Microsegmentation is incredible. It's the only way to go for managing networks long-term.

The security benefit has been huge.

What needs improvement?

I would like to have automating reporting built into common service management platforms, such as JIRA, Serviceaide, and ServiceNow.

The stability has been great. I have had no problems with it. It is a robust solution.

We manage a huge infrastructure, and it has not been a problem for us. It has caused no issues.

We generally load balance with separate hardware. With the normal traffic that we see between virtual machines, they never leave the host. So, there are no real issues there. We will use separate, dedicated hardware, because we are at such a scale that our customers prefer to have separate load balances in the hardware.

We jumped onboard with NSX right when it started. VMware worked with us when we had issues or made suggestions to the point that we were invited as a partner to 2016 VM World, because we contributed so heavily into NSX. It has been nice to see the things our potential pain points that we were having with NSX at the time be implemented into the product. Now, it's just seamless, which is great.

We just bought it off the shelf and implement it ourselves.

We have saved man-hours and decreased our security exposure.

We haven't had to hire a dedicated network engineer because NSX handles 90 percent of it. The reduced overhead in terms of managing networks has been the biggest plus.

We haven't had to buy additional switching capacity.

What other advice do I have?

Get it in your environment as soon as possible.

Network segmentation is hard. A lot of businesses still use the traditional three-tier system, because it has been proven, but it isn't particularly robust or secure. Realistically, it's a natural step in terms of network management to move to micro-segmentation. It just makes sense.

If someone is worried that the solution is too complex, they should hire people with experience.

Andres Hurtado
Director with 51-200 employees
Enables us to identify problems before they manifest, but they should develop more advanced features

• "The stability is great. That's one of the things that we can quantify and leverage through NSX, because it's less complex. We have the availability to manage multiple things at the same time. You can identify problems before they manifest."
  • "The engineering team has room for improvement. They should have have more of a Knowledge Base about different case studies and should develop more advanced features. These kinds of improvements will change the way things get done."

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case is the integration with the platform, so we can use it to orchestrate everything from a single console. That's the magic of having everything in one single dashboard.

How has it helped my organization?

Our customers can see how much easier having multiple integrations on a single dashboard can be for them. The speed and agility of the implementations is another way it has helped improve our clients' organizations. It's easy to monitor exactly what is missing and the speed of implementation.

We can manage and interact with different network devices, not just the local environment but also in the remote environments. It's very effective in how easy it is to manage and orchestrate all the different devices with the different types of requirements we have. NSX is a great platform to have everything in one single pane of glass.

What is most valuable?

The easy integration and management are the two most valuable features.

In regards to Layer 4 and 7 load balancing with a solution, for us, it's about the continuity. We look for different ways to create something similar while making improvements. We like to include different services and make sure that we have high availability, not just in our closer environment but also around multiple environments.

Microsegmentation is important. We cap it depending on the compliance and regulations that are in the systems for every single company's requirements. It depends on the size of the customer, but I don't see a reason not to use it. We cap it based on industry, size of a company, and the compliance regulations that the company requires. Also, we consider the nature of the industry, although the reality is that security applies to everybody. Some industries take it more seriously than others because of their policies, rules, and regulations that they have to comply with. Ultimately, security is an issue that affects everybody and is important for all to have.

What needs improvement?

The engineering team has room for improvement. They should have more of a Knowledge Base about different case studies and should develop more advanced features. These kinds of improvements will change the way things get done.

The stability is great. That's one of the things that we can quantify and leverage through NSX, because it's less complex. We have the availability to manage multiple things at the same time. We can identify problems before they manifest.

Their technical support is great but I believe that it also has to do with the relationship that we've built with the technical support staff. We're not afraid to have conversations. Most people try to figure things out by themselves but we don't hesitate to reach out to technical support. They have an intelligent team.

We based our decision to switch solutions on an analysis we did. We based this analysis on what we are missing and what the impact is of not having it.

In the beginning, implementation was quite challenging. Once you know your way around it, it becomes a lot easier to navigate. Every master was once a disaster. The beginning stages are the most challenging but as you pass through the initial starting point, you begin to realize how easily it can be integrated with multiple devices.

I have been in technology for 23 years and I see the constant evolution of not just the portable technology but also the management. I believe that adapting to the multiple levels of security inside of the business management is a challenge for different vendors.

We look at different vendors for our customers. It depends on the compliance and regulations that are in the systems for every single company's requirements. Every company will have specific needs for certain features that other options do or don't have.

What other advice do I have?

This solution has helped our clients save CapEx. The agility and speed of the implementation offer CapEx savings.

It does and doesn't prolong software refresh. It does because there is better integration with the product. It doesn't because there are new features developing and people like to replace their hardware. They will have better chances of getting more value out of their software solutions because now they can reach more control of multiple functionalities. I would approximate that it saves the hardware for around two to three years.

I have rated this product a seven because this product still needs to evolve. It's a good product but it's not great.

If you are considering NSX or a similar solution I would advise that you have to adapt or die. Technology is emerging with different features. It is important to be in that conversation. You've got to move into the new trends. There are multiple solutions, and there will be different brands with different features but ultimately you have to find a solution that will meet your exact needs.

To those who say NSX is complex, I would say that every master was once a disaster. In the beginning, it's going to be challenging. When you start something new, it very might well be a disaster and you will probably find it hard to navigate. Once you overcome the complexity issue, it's just a matter of perception. It's not really complex, despite what you may think. The solution is evolving, getting better. This is a smarter way to do things. This solution is at another level.

MR
System Administrator
we can deploy many VMs faster but we have had recent issues with stability

• "We are happy with the scalability."
  • "It was stable for one year, there was no impact. In the last two months, we had two big incidents."
  • "We've have had good and bad experiences with them. We don't always find them to be so impactful. Sometimes the support guy isn't so on top of resolving the issue and it can take a while to sort out."

What is our primary use case?

My company's primary use case for this solution is the microsegmentation. It's futuristic.

How has it helped my organization?

VMware NSX has improved our organization in the way that we can now deploy many VMs faster than before and so we are scaling up much faster.

What is most valuable?

We like that NSX is faster. My colleagues manage their own firewalls so they can freely deploy their VMs. The ability to freely deploy is one of the most valuable features.

This solution is robust and agile. It was stable for one year, there was no impact. In the last two months, we had two big incidents.

We are happy with the scalability.

We have needed to use their technical support. We've have had good and bad experiences with them. We don't always find them to be so impactful. Sometimes the support guy isn't so on top of resolving the issue and it can take a while to sort out.

It was deployed by a VMware consultant.

What other advice do I have?

I would tell people who say that NSX is complex that it's not as complex as they think and they should definitely consider this solution.

I would have rated this solution a nine, but in the last two months, we have had two incidents with them.

ES
Engineer at DataLine - лучшая команда виртуализации VMware 2015
VPN, PCM, and L7 balancing are key for our customers

• "NSX can reduce costs and has good service. It is easy for you and your users to use."
  • "The scalability is not perfect."
  • "I would rate this product an eight because it's a good product but it needs more work. They should fix some of the bugs."

What is our primary use case?

Our customers need load balance and firewalls with advanced NSX. They are really happy to use NSX.

How has it helped my organization?

It's free for our customers. It benefits them in that way and it benefits us because it makes our customers happy.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features would be VPN and PCM.

I use L7 balancing. I can use it for two tethers and I can see the source IP. I can split for monitoring for me and my analyst.

What needs improvement?

I would like to see extended performance charts in other versions of NSX. For example, CPU usage, memory usage, and bandwidth usage on NSX.

NSX is very stable. I don't remember when I have ever had any trouble with NSX. It's been a great process.

The scalability is not perfect.

We use technical support but not for NSX. We don't have any trouble from NSX and we, therefore, don't need technical support.

I found the initial setup to be complex.

What other advice do I have?

We have integrated this solution with vCloud Director. Without NSX you can't deploy the cloud.

SL
Architect at Computacenter
NSX offers agility and provides mature microsegmentation

• "The initial setup was straightforward. You just have to click it and follow the manuals."
  • "The next release of NSX should try to make Kubernetes and container integration a little easier than it is now. It's quite a complicated process."

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use cases of this solution are hybrid, cloud, private cloud, and automation.

How has it helped my organization?

VMware NSX has improved our customers' organizations through its automation of security policies, delivery of policy by intent, rapid provisioning, and removing security as being a blocker.

What is most valuable?

Microsegmentation and automation are two features we have found to be the most valuable.
The microsegmentation feature is a mature feature used in NSX-V and NSX-T.

We are trialing Layer 4 and 7 load balancing with this solution, as it's very new.

What needs improvement?

I would rate this solution an eight because it doesn't have Kubernetes integrations yet, and it isn't multi-federated. Those are some of the things that need to be added to the product.

This solution is stable and robust. We've done failover testing and it kept working.

I have found this solution to be scalable, more so now with NSX-T than NSX-V.

Their technical support team is firm. It's mature, and they've got a good support team.

Business is demanding more agility and capability than ever before. NSX offers solutions to those business-level problems.

The initial setup was straightforward. You just have to click it and follow the manuals. Deploying the infrastructure code can be more complex.

We looked at Nuage and Cisco. We decided to go with NSX because they have a good understanding and a strong VMware stack.

What other advice do I have?

I would advise a colleague at another company who is researching NSX to know how the technology can answer their customer's business use cases. For those who say NSX is complex, I would agree that it can be complex but you can abstract that complexity through automation and Service Catalogs to make it easier for end-users to consume.

SR
Engineer at a comms service provider with 10,001+ employees
The Organization Of It Is Logical, Useful, And Intuitive

What is our primary use case?

The primary use case is microsegmentation for other VMs, which should provide us great value. We are quite early in our use case of it. As for now, the performance is looking good. The main reason for deploying the product was the possibility to isolate machines inside a VLAN from each other. It was also to have a local firewall with firewall profiles attached to the machines.

What is most valuable?

The organization of it is logical, useful, and intuitive. The security part of micro-segmentation is getting more important.

Less than one year.

We are early in our use of the product, but stability has been good so far.

What do I think about the

What is our primary use case?

What is most valuable?

The organization of it is logical, useful, and intuitive.

The security part of micro-segmentation is getting more important.

Less than one year.

We are early in our use of the product, but stability has been good so far.

It seems like it will scale.

We have not used technical support.

We had some complexities implementing into the other parts of a network. Otherwise, the NSX product was straightforward to setup.

We deployed it in-house

We were already using other VMware products, so this product seemed to be the best product for our purposes. The solution is less complex than other competitive products.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this VMware product.

We are not using vCloud Director.

PW
VMware Administrator at Ryanair
Microsegmentation makes our life easier as far as PCI and auditing are concerned

• "The microsegmentation is great, and the security team thinks it is great."
  • "The solution is robust as it covers everything we want to do and is stable, so we're happy enough with it. We have had no problems so far. Everything is great."
  • "The solution is quite complex. You need to keep your thinking cap on and know what you are doing: Go to the training and listen to the solution architects when they come in because they have a lot of knowledge."

What is our primary use case?

We use it for microsegmentation. We're still in the middle of the project. We have 70 or 80 apps to microsegment and have only done about ten so far. We have a long way to go.

How has it helped my organization?

It makes our life easier as far as PCI and auditing are concerned. We have been audited over the last few years, which has brought up concerns and issues. The easiest resolution for this was to put NSX into place and use microsegmentation. So, that's what we did.

What is most valuable?

The microsegmentation is great, and the security team thinks it is great.

What needs improvement?

There is a concern and some confusion around who owns NSX in the end, whether it's the network team or the VMware team. There is not much confusion about this anymore, but there was at the start. Would it be owned by the network team, who might never even have seen VMware before, but would understand firewall rules? Or would it be owned by your average VMware person? As far as someone else putting it in, make sure you know who is going to own it, and they have the staff and the capabilities to cover it.

Still implementing.

The solution is robust as it covers everything we want to do and is stable, so we're happy enough with it. We have had no problems so far. Everything is great.

We have not seen any problems, but we are only at 10 applications though. There is still a long way to go.

We haven't had any problems to contact tech support about yet.

We didn't have anything before. The solution was highlighted by audits, which is why we decided to put it in.

The initial setup was simple. We started probably in December of last year and did a lot of prep: A lot of VMware upgrades, licensing upgrades, etc. All this was done in advance with VMware's help. The project came in for install in June and it took about two weeks. It was great, and we did not have problems.

VMware came on site and did the install with us, then handed it over, not transferred. They did the first two apps, then we have done the next eight. So, we haven't had to contact them for support yet.

We deal directly with Dell EMC and VMware via Dell. This solution was the only thing on our radar. We didn't even look at anything else.

What other advice do I have?

If a colleague was to ask me if it was a good idea to go ahead and put it this solution in, I would say, "Straightaway." I wouldn't have any doubts.

MU
System Engineer at a tech services company with 5,001-10,000 employees
The microsegmentation is a good feature. The first time setting up the product was difficult.

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case is to change from Cisco.

What is most valuable?

It is scalable. The microsegmentation is a good feature. You can segment details, products, or hardware information.

It is stable.

It is scalable.

We haven't used technical support.

The first time setting it up was difficult. After a couple of installations, it should get easier.

We set it up with a partner.

What other advice do I have?

NSX is a good product.

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case is to change from Cisco.

What is most valuable?

• It is scalable.
  • The microsegmentation is a good feature. You can segment details, products, or hardware information.

It is stable.

It is scalable.

We haven't used technical support.

We set it up with a partner.

What other advice do I have?

NSX is a good product.

AC
Consultant with 51-200 employees
Any administrator with basic networking knowledge using it can be in full control of their networking in a couple of days

• "Any administrator with basic networking knowledge, in a couple of days, can be in full control of their networking without going through a networking engineer."
  • "It takes time to do the initial setup. It is a bit slow, which is surprising."

What is our primary use case?

Usually customers, from the beginning, want state-of-the-art, latest technologies. They would like to rid themselves of their struggle with networking. This drives them to the next step, bringing in VMware services for implementing NSX.

How has it helped my organization?

After working for about 10 years as a consultant and always waiting for networking engineers to either attend meetings, then do the changes or be willing to do the changes that we need. NSX has improved the process.

What is most valuable?

The microsegmentation feature is the reason why everybody wants to implement NSX. It's just awesome. I was impressed by it when I saw it for the first time. However, now that I see it everyday in production, it works perfectly.

What needs improvement?

We would like them to improve the deployment time.

The management console also needs a bit of improvement.

Less than one year.

In the beginning, the stability needed real improvements. Nowadays, it works like a charm.

I have found the solution to be robust. I haven't had major issues except for a simple connectivity one, probably because it is not integrated with cloud.

The scalability comes along when you implement it. Within a couple of clicks, it makes the process so easy. This is why companies go for it.

The initial setup was a bit lengthy in the beginning. Now, it is a bit smoother. While I like it, it still takes time to setup. It is a bit slow, which is surprising.

The solution has helped to prolong hardware refresh.

What other advice do I have?

The solution is not complex. Though, you need to have some experience in networking, but just the basics that come when you work in the industry. However, if you've never worked with networking, start at the beginning, then NSX will come along easily.

I recommend building your own lab and continue to keep breaking it. Break your own lab, because you'll find weird things.

We have not integrated with vCloud Director as our customers are not very eager to work with automation yet.

aucun at None
Micro-Segmentation helped us secure our organisation. The Distributed Firewall is simple to add and rules are easy to implement

What is our primary use case?

I was an intern at a relatively large company here in Morocco, and NSX is a great solution.

How has it helped my organization?

NSX has improved our organisation in many ways, by securing it with micro-segmentation, and by allowing us to implement logical equipment in a matter of seconds instead of waiting for the physical material to implement and configure.

What is most valuable?

The Distributed Firewall is simple to add to the network and rules are easy to implement on it.

What needs improvement?

It should be more adapted to the physical side of network topology in order to prevent unavailability.

Trial/evaluations only.

Trial/evaluations only.
it_user746712
EVS Engineer 3 at Cabela's
Video Review
We can add VDI desktops without having to create a new VM and recreate all the policies

• "To be able to do the DR and SRM migrations from datacenter to datacenter, we're able to do them with SRM with VXLAN, with the NSX product."
  • "Just being more knowledgeable about the different functions."

What is most valuable?

What needs improvement?

Just being more knowledgeable about the different functions. I think the product is fine. It's just learning more about the product, and how you can benefit from it, and what it's got to offer.

Very stable. We've had great success with it. It's a different mindset for the actual network folks that are used to building an old traditional way, but it's much faster to get things deployed with firewall rules.

It's definitely scalable, however large, however small. We can bring people in with VDI desktops, with a control set already around that, to be able to control what they get without having to create a new VM and recreate all the policies. It's already done upfront.

It's great, if we have any problems at all, we give them a call. If there's something that's new that we're trying to figure out, they're real good about helping us out.

At first, it was a little complex, but it's more internal, just learning a new product and what it can do for you. But once you get all that set up, and done with the collaboration, and the other groups, it's really not that bad.

What other advice do I have?

In terms of selecting a vendor, our end goal is to be able to accomplish a certain function that we need to for the business. But also, if we have any trouble, to be able to call and get some support, and work through those issues without, "You bought the product now, so you're on your own." They've been real good about support.

It's changed the way we do things. It's made things a lot more easy. Once everything's set up, and you have the collaboration from all the other different groups, it just works. It's going to help me be able to do a lot of the DR stuff that I'm working on with VXLAN, working through NSX and all those rule sets.

it_user746727
Cloud Engineer at IBM
MSP
We can deliver the network that customers need quickly and safely

What is most valuable?

We can deliver the network that customers need quickly and safely. That is most important.

What needs improvement?

There is one feature I'm finding with VMware which is special for us from IBM with JIRA routing protocols. This is in the future that they are planning, especially right now with our compatible AWS. AWS is good, understood, except for the software to improve, probably with Amazon right now doing this partnership. VMware and access are going to be improved for that.

What needs improvement?

It's totally stable, because right now it's running version 6.3. It's very mature. Even the versions with VMware 5.5, 6, and 6.5 are very stable right now. It's becoming more open to other environments, too. It's not only working with VMware, but also with Red Hat and Ubuntu. It's an amazing product.

Totally scalable. I almost can tell this is the first real multi-tenant product from VMware that will scale out and do real multitenancy.

Tech support is nice. It could be a little bit better. Simple, since this is a new product, you don't have too much specialists over the world. Because it is a mix between the virtual world with VMs, and now networks, it's networking virtualization. So, VMware with NSX is being a pioneer. They are improving their support every day.

MichaelGonzalez
VMware NSX Engineer at a tech services company with 201-500 employees
Video Review
Enables us to put our network onto any network there is, we just spin something up whenever we need to

• "NSX gives us the ability to put our network, NSX, onto any network there is, which allows us not to have to go to the network team to create networks our VLANs for networks."
  • "It still needs to grow. There are still some features that it doesn't do, like it doesn't do multicasting."

What is most valuable?

NSX gives us the ability to put our network, NSX, onto any network there is, which allows us not to have to go to the network team to create networks our VLANs for networks. We can just create all our networks right from the start. Whenever we want to spin something up, we just spin it up.

What needs improvement?

So far, what I've seen here at VMworld, it seems to be improving just the same line as everything else. It's going to expand, grow and grow and grow. It's going everywhere. It's not just going into "I'm using the V version of NSX," but it's going out to every environment. It's going out to all the clouds so that even if you have the V, you can also use the cloud part and put it into there, so it seems to be growing where it needs to go.

It still needs to grow. There are still some features that it doesn't do, like it doesn't do multicasting. It does do some multicasting, but it's within their own infrastructure, but multicasting in general, it doesn't do.

So far, it's been very stable. I've used it since the very beginning and it's been very stable in the beginning, and as they've added more and more features, it's become more and more stable in the environment; that is, better in the environment because we're able to use more and more features within it.

So far it's been very scalable, and with the new versions that are coming out, it's even more and more scalable. They've added more and more features of routing that they didn't have in the first versions, which allow it to be more scalable. It's become better than the actual infrastructure, the original network infrastructure that's there, because we can lay it on anything and it will scale to any part of the network that we want.

So far, I've had very good tech support. A lot of the guys we talk to are very knowledgeable, and if they don't know it, they're able to talk to others within their group that will know it. So I've gotten very good results from them.

The installation is very straightforward. The part that gets complex is how you do your routing, how you do your ESGs, how you set up the actual network itself within it. But once it's set up, you just create virtual switches and put any network you want on it. It becomes almost seamless.

What other advice do I have?

In terms of criteria for selecting a vendor, it's a little of everything. It's the reputation that they have, but it's also more of the tech support, as well as the documentation that they have, because not everybody in their environment, as well as your own environment, knows everything. So you have to be able to look up stuff and have that knowledge to be able to do it, as well as allow them to do it.

They have a lot of good KB articles on what's going on, so if you need a problem solved, you look at that first and you'll be able to find it pretty easily.

it_user746721
Solutions Architect at IronBow Technologies
Video Review
The distributed nature of it is really what our customers are interested in

• "It's very important for them to have small footprints and have as much services in their servers, as possible."
  • "Going through and getting more features sets from the routing protocols is definitely necessary for the future."

What is most valuable?

I sell to a lot of customers in the DoD. NSX has really become part of their ecosystem, especially for the tactical customers in the DoD. It's very important for them to have small footprints and have as much services in their servers, as possible. NSX has fit this role really well for them.

What needs improvement?

• Going through and getting more features sets from the routing protocols is definitely necessary for the future.
  • Being able to properly manipulate BGP
  • Getting multiprotocol BGP into the stack
  • A little bit better redistribution

As a CCIE, I like to have all my tool sets, and there are some things which NSX is missing right now.

It's missing some more advanced features. As an engineer, we need those tools. We need to be able to manipulate routes. We need to be able to set traffic the way that we need it to be. Especially as we interact with other vendors, sometimes it makes it difficult to have to do some workarounds. Once VMware flushes out the RFC for things like BGP and OSPF, it will be better.

We've tested it in our labs, and our customers are running it now. It is definitely stable, and it does what it's supposed to with no unnecessary crashes.

It's one of the major benefits of it. The distributed nature of NSX is really what the customers are interested in: spread into workloads across a lot of servers and not working out one host too hard.

All my customers seem to be very happy with the technical support. Anytime they call up, everything is very responsive and the engineers are intelligent. They know how to help them solve their problems.

NSX is one of the simplest network solutions that I've ever worked with.

I did a demo for our company's engineers about a year ago, and in 45 minutes, I stood up a cluster and had the VXLAN and some of the firewall policies, up and running in a 45-minute demo. It's really easy to use and everybody walked away from it knowing how to use NSX just from a 45-minute presentation.

What other advice do I have?

It's very important for us to have good relationships with VMware from a reseller standpoint, and especially in the DoD, we have great reps. VMware is probably a 90% of the DoD networks. It's definitely not just reputation-wise, but they've been there for seven to eight years now and everybody knows that VMware is the enterprise solution for virtualization in the DoD.

DS
Infrastructure Architect
Video Review

• "The we can actually extend Layer 2 networking across datacenters, and also Layer 3 networking, which comes along with it."
  • "They could branch out to the physical layer."

What is most valuable?

Some of NSX's most valuable features are:

• Its distributed firewall
  • The we can actually extend Layer 2 networking across datacenters, and also Layer 3 networking, which comes along with it.
  • The routing and switching.

What needs improvement?

They could branch out to the physical layer. Today, it's just the virtual layer, and they're starting to talk about the physical layer. We'd like to see the physical layer incorporated.

We've been using NSX now with Layer 2 stretching for approximately 10 months. We're getting ready to really ramp up the DFW, which is the distributed firewall piece, which we and our security team are very excited about.

NSX is a very stable product.

We've already scaled it across two data centers. We'll be incorporating two additional data centers, to give us that footprint, or IP address migration across four data centers. So, it's quite scalable.

The tech support for NSX is awesome. We are a premier production customer for VMware, therefore the tech support and the tech support representatives don't start a lower level. We start at the mid-level of the tech support engineers. Thus, we get answers very quickly. We also work with our technical account manager who knows what we're doing and what we've got coming up, so he's able to push things for us on the tech support side.

Our tech support's awesome.

The most important criteria when selecting a vendor (like VMware), it's important to us that they have the following:

• Their name recognition.
  • The support that they provide.
  • Their placement in the industry as a leader.
  • The things that they're doing with NSX, which are phenomenal.

We're a supporter of VMware, and likewise they're a supporter and a partner with us and what we're doing.

What other advice do I have?

It's really a great product. It fits all of our needs. Everything that we've asked it to do or asked VMware to help us get done with it, we've been able to do. Therefore, we're very excited about the product.

it_user746697
Network Engineer
Video Review
It's very scalable and automated

What is most valuable?

The most valuable part of NSX is it's very scalable and automated. Our change request time is really low.

For the most part, it's very stable.

The only hiccup is sometimes during an upgrade, there are hurdles that you can have during that time, but overall it's very stable.

Since we're almost 100% virtual, it's been very scalable for us.

Sometimes, it can be difficult to get to a higher level engineer if you need to, but it takes some work to make that case. Usually it happens, but it's a little difficult.

It seems to be very straightforward. Usually a lot of it's handled by the installer. Yeah, very straightforward. As long as you read the design guide, it's easy.

An important reason for selecting was VMware because they're the hypervisor we use and we see them to be a very valuable asset in purchasing something like NSX, and because they're the owner of the hypervisor and they have direct access into the hypervisor. That's very valuable for us. We foresee it being a very reliable product into the future.

What other advice do I have?

They developed the hypervisor, which is very valuable to us, because it has saved us a lot of money just on the micro-segmentation piece. That's basically all we use at this point, but the product has more than paid for itself just with that part of the product.

it_user746691
Senior Solutions Architect at SMP
Video Review
Facilitates setting security policies right at the interfacing virtual machine, which we couldn't do in the past

• "It does have capabilities of micro-segmenting a network, being able to create smaller segments of various types of applications separated by various tiers."
  • "I think that one of the more important things to see better integrated into the NSX product would be an IDS/IPS type solution."

What is most valuable?

NSX is extremely invaluable from the standpoint of security.

However, what it's mostly important for is being able to actually set security policies right at the interfacing virtual machine, which we haven't had the ability to do in the past.

What needs improvement?

So the third-party marketplace is growing and growing for this product and being able to redirect traffic to them, to the third-party products in order to take advantage of those additional features, is wonderful.

I think that one of the more important things to see better integrated into the NSX product would be an IDS/IPS type solution, which right now we're handing off to a third-party, which sometimes doubles the cost of the product. However, there are new products that we're learning about over the course of this week like AppDefense, that may actually help provide some additional capabilities in terms of that IDS/IPS type structure.

There are elements that have been added to it over the years, but its history goes way back with vShield, and has been included in products like vCloud Director, etc. To be honest with you, I've deployed it over the past five to six years and I've had nothing but great success with it.

From a tech support standpoint, as with most VMware text support, the people that we get a hold of on the phone are generally very knowledgeable of the product and have the ability to actually help us through whatever issue we have. We try not to spin our wheels too much. We do try to dig in as much as we can, but as soon as we understand we've gone beyond our limitations we get them on the phone and we've never had an issue trying to get the support we need.

It's a complex product so setup is essentially as easy as the person whose knowledge is being used to install it. There are various elements to it. It can be installed in modules - in a modular fashion. You don't have to install everything right away. And, unfortunately, with this particular product, when you read through all the marketing materials it sounds like it has to be installed completely when, in fact, you can start out with only the pieces you need and add what you need - the other pieces - later as needed.

What other advice do I have?

I always have a hard time giving a ten to anything. I think everything needs improvement. So that's why I would give it a solid eight out of 10.

it_user730311
IT Support Specialist at a mining and metals company with 10,001+ employees
Scalable; takes care of our whole environment

What is most valuable?

Security. Our Trend platform runs off NSX.

How has it helped my organization?

We use the solution strictly for security.

Roughly six months.

We didn't have this issue, but I would recommend to others looking at this solution to make sure that their hardware is compatible.

It seems to be taking care of our whole environment. It seems to be pretty scalable.

I have not used it, but my coworker has. Every time he talks to them, they're easy to get a hold of; very knowledgeable and they solve his issues right away.

If you put in a trouble ticket, they contact you very quickly (in response). If there is a problem, it usually isn't around very long. They jump on it, fix it, and it's done.

We were on McAfee, and we switched to Trend. We switched to Trend because Trend supports virtual environment a lot better than McAfee does.

Trend migrated in a way that it will only work with NSX. The older version of Trend that we were on worked without NSX. The newer version does not. Now, we use NSX in conjunction with Trend.

We upgraded Trend to keep up-to-date and all the security loopholes closed.

What other advice do I have?

Most important criteria when selecting a vendor:

• They have to be able to support the environment you're running.
  • The service and support is a big must. We work at an Enterprise level, so sometimes you can't go with the little new guy. You need that 24 hour service and support, seven days a week. It is very important for us.
it_user730320
IT Specialist at a tech services company
Very easy to use out-of-the-box and doesn't have a steep learning curve

• "The ability to scale from different clouds. At the moment, the scalability of the product is the number one thing that I saw."

What is most valuable?

The ability to scale from different clouds. At the moment, the scalability of the product is the number one thing that I saw.

Right now, we're doing a private cloud, since we're government. In the future, we may want to look at public, but probably not.

How has it helped my organization?

It has the potential to improve the way we function by having our different clouds be able to easily communicate back and forth. Right now, it takes a lot of work to do collaboration from our test lab, to our production, and to do anything in-between. It has the potential of giving us streamline migrations from the test lab to production.

What needs improvement?

Pricing and licensing could be improved as we are a government entity. Lower pricing could always help.

We just got it.

About five to 10 people set new products up and we kick them down the road all the time. As soon as we see something real good we call in some users and it gets big. They call their managers and it grows; it's like a wildfire.

But it will start off as a spark, and I'm the spark.

It is pretty good. It cuts down on duplication. Right now, I have tools in the lab, have tools in pre-prod, and have tools in production.

Right now and well in the future, if we implement it, we'll be able to have the same tool set be applied through all regions and transfer and not have duplication. It will outline and teach our users how to operate them. Therefore, we will have one set of tools, one set of instructions, and they can operate in all three environments.

Scalability definitely looks awesome. Again the three environments we'll be able to use one set of tools. Everybody would be familiar with it. It won't operate this region and a different way in another region because it's from another vendor, where one set of tools would be able to pass throughout all of our regions.

Our scale right now is about 60 users (the production and the customer).

We had multiple solutions.

We were making do with what we had, but again, going to different conferences and seeing what other people were using. We got curious and our vendor said, let's demo it. So, we made time for it, and after we made time for the demo, we realized we should have been doing this two years ago.

I was involved in the initial setup. It was straightforward. We did it with our government PFE.

We do have partners, who are knowledgeable, did offer to come in and set it up for us. We had access to our online lab from our vendor, so they had to set it up, connect it, demo it, and see how it runs. Though, we set ours up.

Dell EMC and Symantec.

What other advice do I have?

It's a solid product. Very easy to use out-of-the-box. It didn't have a steep learning curve, and we're still finding things that we can add-on.

I would encourage anyone looking to buy the solution to demo it in a lab, or come to a conference and see it. They should see how it would fit in their environment, and don't be overwhelmed or overworked by adding another solution because the results pays off.

Most important criteria when selecting a vendor:

• Price
    • Security
    • Meeting the application requirements.
    • Technical support.
    Edgar Parra
    Senior Technical Consultant at The Instillery
    Provides Microsegmentation And Good Security Features For North-South And East-West Traffic Across Your SDDC

What is most valuable?

The ease in which to install this product and make it work straight away without minimum changes in your physical network and is simply astonishing. The only thing you need to do when installing this product is change your MTU to 1600 (jumbo frames). It provides microsegmentation and good security features for north-south and east-west traffic across your SDDC. The performance you obtain at the virtual layer and traffic crossing for your VMs gets improved dramatically because the traffic doesn't leave the hypervisor. I'm not a network guy myself but NSX makes it really easy to understand how the virtual network pins together and how you can manage the traffic and security within your VMware deployment without the hassle of changing VLANs, adding unnecessary protocols for discovery, etc.

Encapsulating the traffic using VXLAN is a great addition. It extrapolates the number of VLANs that you can stretch to an almost infinite number of VXLAN (millions of VXLANs). In abstract, you are dealing with numerous VLANs every time you want to send traffic from one VM to another, basically VMs on different hosts within the same datacenter will be connected to the same logical switch and traffic is advertised via unicast traffic from the NSX controllers to let every body know in the environment "who is who" to minimize the amount of multicast traffic.

How has it helped my organization?

We haven't installed this in our environment yet. We have a major lab to provide our Ci-Dev team a sandpit to test apps and its security when deploying a three-tier application on our customers and test every single connection and performance before handing over the application to the customer.

What needs improvement?

The upgrade process is okay overall, but we have encountered issues every time when upgrading with the ESXi hosts VIB installation packages not being properly deployed, and after upgrading NSX manager, the ESXi hosts still uses the old version. This causes additional steps to manually remove those old VIBs from the ESXi, reinstall them, and try again. In some cases, we had to uninstall and install them from scratch NSX and restore from backup, which in a real world scenario won't be desirable to do. You would like to have an in-place a seamless upgrade from one version to another, especially if you are changing minor versions (e.g., 6.3.1 to 6.3.2).

Six months now.

A very stable product, it is more mature than it was four years ago when it first came out. The performance you get with this product is near-line rate.

If you have a large environment, the sprawl of Distributed Logical Routers or logical switches can be hard to manage, but you will have the same issues in a physical network.

We have a direct line with VMware support and with the specialized engineer who provides support on NSX. We haven't had to open a support call yet, but the engineer we've dealt with is very capable and knowledgeable on the product.

Excellent. VMware engineers are top of the line. I haven't met one engineer who doesn't know the product well that they support.

Nope, never used a network virtualisation product before.

It was straightforward. Just a couple of install media and .ovf files and you're done. The interesting part comes after installation when you need to define your virtual network architecture and how you're going to deploy rules and connectivity for your VMs.

In-house deployment. We're a large VMware shop and know VMware products well.

Not applicable for this product yet.

We got the licenses from VMware as part of the NFR agreement, but you will require a medium infrastructure to deploy this initially. Lot of memory and CPU are required to have the product run smoothly

No, there are no other products in the market that provide network virtualisation as far as I know.

What other advice do I have?

Download the installer, try it, and you will love it. Some hardcore network administrators will say it is not the same, and of course is not the same, but it is a new way to do things in the network space. It is the way of the future when deploying large networks in Software Defined Data Centres.

Senior Network Engineer at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employees

What is most valuable?

I have worked on NSX for the last couple of months and I Liked Distributed Logical Switching, Distributed Logical Router and Distributed Firewall the most.

How has it helped my organization?

We have deployed it in a virtual environment and it saved a lot of time and effort for us to configure.

What needs improvement?

Speed of the NSX Controllers while deploying sometimes gets a bit slower which can be improved, overall its a great product

Last few months.

Last few months.

Satisfied.

Satisfied.

We are a Partner and we have deployed it for our customer.

it_user234747
    Practice Manager - Cloud, Automation & DevOps at a tech services company with 501-1,000 employees
    NSX for vSphere vs. NSX Multi-Hypervisor
    Originally posted at vcdx133.com. This post provides a Tech101 breakdown of VMware NSX. If you have heard the buzz-word “NSX” or “Network Virtualisation” and want to learn more about it, this post is for you. VMware NSX has two distinct variants – NSX for vSphere (NSX-v) and NSX Multi-Hypervisor (NSX-MH). The most feature rich version is NSX-v (as you would expect) and the most flexible and vendor agnostic is NSX-MH (albeit with less features). Currently these are separate binaries that you download and deploy, however there is talk that in the future it will be a single binary set with a V/MH software setting during deployment. A little bit of history will also clarify things. VMware acquired Nicira in 2012 and integrated/developed the NSX product suite by combining VMware’s…

Originally posted at vcdx133.com.

VMware NSX has two distinct variantsNSX for vSphere (NSX-v) and NSX Multi-Hypervisor (NSX-MH). The most feature rich version is NSX-v (as you would expect) and the most flexible and vendor agnostic is NSX-MH (albeit with less features). Currently these are separate binaries that you download and deploy, however there is talk that in the future it will be a single binary set with a V/MH software setting during deployment.

A little bit of history will also clarify things. VMware acquired Nicira in 2012 and integrated/developed the NSX product suite by combining VMware’s vCNS (aka vShield Edge and App) with Nicira’s NVP. So if you understand vShield, it will give you a good start to mastering NSX.

The diagram below illustrates the NSX architecture, complete with physical infrastructure. Note, storage virtualisation has been deliberately left out of the diagram since it is not in-scope. The “P2V” lines denote the possible NSX overlay to physical network integrations.

NSX for vSphere (NSX-v)

NSX-v has the following components:

• vSphere ESXi – server hypervisor.
    • vSphere Distributed Switch – the advanced Layer 2 virtual Switch that VMware provides with the Enterprise Plus licence (you cannot use the vSphere Standard Switch with NSX).
    • NSX Manager – management interface of NSX, presented via the vSphere Web Client and has a northbound NSX API.
    • NSX Controller – the control plane of NSX which also has the northbound NSX API.
    • Logical Switch – VXLAN tunnels that run across disparate networks.
    • Edge Services Gateway (ESG) – provides L3-L7 network services to the outside world.
    • Distributed Logical Router (DLR) – provides L3-L7 network services to the physical and virtual infrastructure via a hypervisor service for the data plane and a virtual appliance for the control plane.
    • Distributed Firewall – this is a service that runs on ESXi and provides micro-segmentation of virtual infrastructure
    • Third Party integrations – advanced L3-L7 services provided by Third Parties via the NSX API. eg. Palo Alto Networks, McAfee, Trend Micro, F5, Citrix, Silver Peak, etc.
    • Physical Network – traditional core, aggregate, distribution, access or Clos-type Leaf & Spine architectures
    • Virtual overlay to Physical network gateways – the NSX virtual overlay integrates with the physical world via a gateway. eg. Routing, L2 Extension, VXLAN, etc.

What are L2 to L7 services? VLAN, VXLAN tunnels, Network Firewall, IPS, Application Firewall, NAT, Routing (OSPF, BGP, IS-IS), Load Balancing, SSL VPN, IPSec VPN, Route redistribution, etc.

NSX for Multi-Hypervisor (NSX-MH)

The NSX-MH has the same functional components, except it uses Open vSwitch (instead of vDS) with KVM, Hyper-V or XenServer and does not have a Distributed Firewall (no micro-segmentation).

Why do it this way?

You may have heard about the “Goldilocks zone” (not too hot, not too cold, just right – used to describe Earth’s placement in the solar system for sustaining life). The hypervisor is the “Goldilocks zone” of the Data Center, it is the natural meeting place for the Software Defined Data Center (SDDC) – Compute, Network and Storage.

If you understand the benefits of server virtualisation with vSphere (abstraction of the Operating System from the hardware, etc.), you can apply the same logic to network virtualisation. There is also the driving force of creating blueprints within the Service Catalogue of the Cloud Management Platform and linking polices (compute, network, storage and security) to the blueprint.

Weaknesses

• The biggest weakness of NSX – no associated hardware, since VMware is a software company, is also its greatest strength. You can run NSX across any physical network (as long as it meets the fundamental requirements of scalability, performance and reliability) and use it to connect disparate networks together.
    • Because NSX is software, it cannot match dedicated physical hardware in terms of performance, however this weakness is balanced with flexibility and scale. Ensure that your SDDC is designed to match your business requirements – this way the risk of lack of performance is mitigated.
    • NSX on its own is not the greatest use-case, you really want to use it to complete your SDDC solution (ie. Cloud Management Platform, Compute Virtualisation, Network Virtualisation, Storage Virtualisation and Service Catalogue).