VMware Player OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

What is VMware Player?

VMware Player, or VMware Player Plus, is described by VMware as the easiest way to run a virtual machine on Windows or Linux PCs in a commercial environment. If you want to deliver a managed desktop to your employees, customers, students, contractors, or partners, then this virtual desktop solution is the way to go.

VMware Player provides the most advanced virtualization platform available, which is capable of supporting even extremely demanding applications. Even though the platform is so advanced, the user interface is simple and easy-to-use.

There is seamless integration with Windows XP and Windows XP applications even if the machine itself is a Windows 7 PC, a Windows 8 PC, or even Linux-based. It also gives your IT person the capability of restricting the virtual machines by requiring runtime passwords, adding an expiration date, blocking USB devices, or encrypting the machines. By using VMware vCenter Converter, VMware Player can even convert old machines into virtual machines without you needing to re-configure or re-install any applications.

Download the Virtual Desktop Infrastructure (VDI) Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: October 2021

VMware Player Customers
Akademiska Hus
VMware Player Video

Archived VMware Player Reviews (more than two years old)

Aimee White
Info Sec Consultant at Size 41 Digital
It's enabled us to fire up speedy sandboxes to test software or malware in a closed environment.

What is most valuable?

Ease of install. Ease of upgrade. We also got to check out w10 so we could see how we wanted it set up for everyone.

It used to be a bit buggy with v7 when you wanted to suspend a machine but those issues seem to have been worked out with v12.

How has it helped my organization?

It's enabled us to fire up speedy sandboxes to test software or malware in a closed environment. We can also run other operating systems at the click of a button. In general, it's saved us time and money. We can also run honeypots to capture information on exploit attempts. Three really great things to have more of.

What needs improvement?

From my POV, I have no real niggles with it. It's fine as it is but I probably use about 40% of the capabilities so I've not delved into every single function provided by VMware player.

To avoid problems you really do need to be on the most recent version, especially if you want to use W10 images.

On and off I've used this for 7-8 years.

it_user5700
Engineer with 501-1,000 employees
Awesome little program for running VMs on a desktop.
Awesome little program for running VMs on a desktop. Very easy to use and very powerful. Used correctly, it can really increase productivity!

Find out what your peers are saying about VMware, NComputing, Parallels and others in Virtual Desktop Infrastructure (VDI). Updated: October 2021.
542,721 professionals have used our research since 2012.
sumodirjo
Senior Site Infrastructure Engineer at Kurungsiku
Free virtualization on your Windows and Linux desktop

Valuable Features:

Free, That's the most important thing about VMware player. It's available on both Windows and Linux. VMware used to only run a virtual machine / virtual appliance, but now we can create a new VM with VMware player. You can even redistribute VMware player with permission from VMware, it might be useful if you want to send demo of your product as virtual appliance to your client. We don't need dedicated machine to install VMware player, we can just use our desktop to run VMware player.

Room for Improvement:

Not available on Mac OS, so the only virtualization solution from VMware for your Mac OS is VMware Fusion. Lack of some features that only available in VMware workstation or VMware Fusion such as Teams, multiple Snapshots, multiple Clones, and Virtual Rights Management. Compared to Virtualbox, VMware player is slightly heavier on resource usage than Virtualbox.

Other Advice:

Simple free virtualization solution that you can depend on. A lot of virtual appliance on VMware virtual appliance marketplace.
it_user1227
Tech Support Staff at a tech services company with 501-1,000 employees
Stable and free virtualization tool with support for running multiple operating system platforms

Valuable Features:

VMware player is one of the free virtualization tools available in the market. It provides you a sandbox environment to install and play around with almost any Operating System. VMware has support for sharing folders between the guest operating system and the host operating system, which can be very easily configured using the drag and drop feature. Another remarkable feature seen only in VMware is that, you can easily copy and paste files/text etc from one VMware guest to another VMware guest, both running on top of a single host. This feature is generally not available on other Virtualization tools like Virtualbox. Specifically targeted for heavy users who basically need a reliable and a powerful virtual environment to test new software or try new operating systems. Supports multiple OS platforms like Windows, Linux, Macintosh etc.

Room for Improvement:

VMware player does not allow to create snapshots of a guest system. You can use snapshots to store the current state of an operating system using and later can restore to the same state. VMware player has a very high memory footprint and requires a lot of memory for running multiple operating systems under a single host system.It is very limited in terms of the number of features supported e.g. it does not allow you to create new Virtual Operating System images.

Other Advice:

VMware player is a very good alternative for those who want a stable and free virtualization platform that can be easily run in various Operating System platforms like Windows, Linux, Macintosh etc. Folder sharing between guest and host can be easily configured in VMware. Though creating a new virtual operating system is not allowed in VMware Player and you will have to upgrade to the commercial virtualization tool, known as VMWare WorkStation.
PatrickCiPaaS
Senior Technical Product Marketing Manager at SnapLogic
Leaderboard
I've significantly improved my desktop processing productivity

Valuable Features:

By using a VMware player, I've significantly improved my desktop processing productivity. By having multiple VMs running in the background for testing software, running scripts, or doing other CPU intensive tasks, I can get a lot more accomplished without interfering with my programs running in the forefront on a PC or another VM.

Room for Improvement:

The initial setup is quite easy, but can be daunting to someone unfamiliar with desktop computing environments.

Room for Improvement:

Download our free Virtual Desktop Infrastructure (VDI) Report and find out what your peers are saying about VMware, NComputing, Parallels, and more!