VMware SD-WAN Overview

VMware SD-WAN is the #2 ranked solution in our list of top Secure Access Service Edge (SASE) tools. It is most often compared to Cisco SD-WAN: VMware SD-WAN vs Cisco SD-WAN

What is VMware SD-WAN?

Software-Defined Wide Area Network (SD-WAN) is the application of softwarebased network technologies that virtualize WAN connections to provide agility,
performance and reliability for network traffic between remote and branch offices to
data centers and the cloud.

SD-WAN leverages cloud-hosting to simplify deployment and management of
network devices and employs traffic steering to applications in the data center and
the cloud. It combines the bandwidth of broadband with existing WAN connections to
more efficiently and cost-effectively connect users to data center and cloud-based
applications from any location in the network.

SD-WAN optimizes traffic over multiple available connections (MPLS, broadband,
LTE) to deliver traffic across the network, delivering a better user experience to any
location. SD-WAN will dynamically steer traffic to the best available link, and if the
available links show any transmission issues, it will immediately apply remediation for
jitter and packet loss based on policies to ensure performance of the high-priority
applications.

VMware SD-WAN is also known as VeloCloud.

VMware SD-WAN Buyer's Guide

Download the VMware SD-WAN Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: February 2021

VMware SD-WAN Customers

Redmond, Coca Cola, Roka Bioscience, MetTel, Deutsche Telekom, Rockford Construction,  The Bay Club, tru Independence, Triton Management Services, DevCon, AXPM

VMware SD-WAN Video

Pricing Advice

What users are saying about VMware SD-WAN pricing:
  • "The price of this solution is higher than that of other SD-WAN vendors."
  • "The price is reasonable for this solution, but the only challenge for us is that the Rand currency fluctuates to the dollar and provides some complexities. The price might go up just because the Rand has actually lost value."
  • "VeloCloud performs as well as the Cisco SD-WAN but it is cheaper in price."

VMware SD-WAN Reviews

Joel Bacaycay
CIO at freelanceitengineer
Sep 30, 2020
Scalable, has DMPO to ensure data integrity, good technical support, and zero-touch set up

What is our primary use case?

The biggest benefit to SD-WAN is with VoIP. Any real-time data transfer where you cannot have any latency and packet delivery. What VeloCloud provides is a solution that maintains data integrity. The biggest challenge for voice over IP telephone systems, are real-time and also video, and any kind of video conferencing. That type of thing, if there are any latencies, you're going to get trashy voice calls and also a lot of intermittent ghosting on conference calls. That's where VeloCloud comes in. They provide a resilient connectivity points system. Your connectivity is pretty much preserved.

• "The biggest feature is called D.M.P.O., or Dynamic Multipath Optimization, which is one of the technologies that they use to deliver or ensure data integrity."
  • "They need more gateways"

What other advice do I have?

It's an SD-WAN solution and they've got edge devices of different sources and types. Depending on the client's needs, you pretty much choose the type of product that's required. The end result is cloud-based. It's a cloud-based software-defined wide area networking affiliation. VeloCloud is in the cloud. They have over a thousand gateways to get to their services in the cloud. They're tied into Microsoft Azure, Office 365, and also AWS services. If you're going to do a cloud design, what you likely want to do is have an SD-WAN solution like VeloCloud, such that if you're dealing with multiple…
reviewer1433172
ISM Network Architect at a transportation company with 10,001+ employees
Oct 19, 2020
Great QOE, good stability and pretty straightforward to set up

What is our primary use case?

I work for a supply chain and we have a site where we want to offload the internet traffic and get to the application, etc. Some of the cloud applications go out directly and automatically through the SD-WAN device to the internet, so it is local and does not go to the MPLS. We can load balance those applications.

• "They have a lot of built-ins. There are so many applications defined inside the solution. It makes it so that we don't have to create some policies. Each and every application is already defined in it."
  • "The solution doesn't offer failover between their own devices. If I want to, I should be able to put the two devices at the side, so there can be a failover."

What other advice do I have?

We're just customers. We don't have a business relationship with the company. We are not using the newest version of the solution. They already have a newer version, however, we have everything outsourced to AT&T, and they have not upgraded the new version on it yet. The version we have on the VeloCloud is 3.4.3, and the newest version, which, from my understanding, is four, and is already out there. The greatest advice I have for potential new users is this: when you do deploy the VeloCloud, it's pretty straightforward. However, the only thing you have to remember is to make sure that you…
Learn what your peers think about VMware SD-WAN. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: February 2021.
465,891 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Hirendrasinh R Chauhan
Senior Technical Consultant at a manufacturing company with 10,001+ employees
Nov 22, 2020
Exceptional performance on the cloud, but weak as an in-house solution

• "The cloud gateway is a very good feature for scaling purposes, etc."
  • "They should provide us with the flexibility to scale up."

What other advice do I have?

VeloCloud is a good solution. They are only lacking in regards to the in-house version. On a scale from one to ten, I would give VeloCloud a rating of seven.
Rein Pusra
Solutions Architect at Jedi Global Teknologi
Mar 6, 2020
Easy to use and the Dynamic Multipath Optimization is useful

What is our primary use case?

We are a solution provider and this is one of the products that we implement for our customers. Our customers use VeloCloud to create their own SD-WAN.

• "The most valuable feature is the Dynamic Multipath Optimization (DMPO), which allows the customer to maintain and monitor their link quality in real-time."
  • "VeloCloud needs improvement in terms of its security features."

What other advice do I have?

We have been using multiple versions of this solution. We have been using the software as well as different Edge devices including the Edge 510 series and the Edge 520 series. The 510 series is the most common one. Most of the deployments are cloud-based. Our customers prefer the cloud from a business point of view because it is less expensive. To deploy on-premise, the cost of using VeloCloud is quite high and it becomes an obstacle for some customers. My advice for anybody who is considering this solution is to first think about their SD-WAN needs. VeloCloud is a very good product as long as…
Paul Woods
Consultant at SDWAN Clan
Nov 30, 2020
Zero-Touch provisioning, stable, and easy to set up

What is our primary use case?

The primary use cases of this solution are global WAN refreshment, Campus-to-Campus connectivity, and because my client is a global customer, they want zero-touch provisioning.

• "Anyone can migrate over to VeloCloud, it's that simple, just plug in the necessary cables and it's done."
  • "It needs better security."

What other advice do I have?

I will continue to use this solution, we have another customer that wants to use SD-WAN, but they are better suited for Cisco Meraki, so we are just doing a proof of concept with them. I would definitely recommend this solution to others. 100%. That said, it needs better security. There is always room to improve. I would rate this solution an eight out of ten.
SihleLetlaka
Chief Infrastructure Architect at a financial services firm with 10,001+ employees
Feb 21, 2021
Plenty of features, reasonably priced, and high level quality

• "The most valuable features are the orchestration layer, plug and play capabilities, and also the fact that you can either configure it as a full mesh or hard install."
  • "There are a number of customers we have that require a fully mashed SD-WAN on VeloCloud that is not available currently."

What other advice do I have?

This solution is at a very high level, and quite good. However, it is not one platform that fits all, it depends on the use case and what the customer looking for. You might find customers that want security or other UTM based features, which VeloCloud does not offer. It weighs heavily on the customer requirements, but if security is what they are after then I would not generally recommend the VeloCloud offering. I rate VMware SD-WAN an eight out of ten.
MohamedHassan
Regional Technical Manager at Nestingtech
Feb 21, 2020
Good performance and allows our customers to better manage their environment

What is our primary use case?

We are a reseller and this is one of the solutions that we provide to our customers. The use case is dependent on the customer and their requirements, but the primary use is as an SD-WAN. It helps our customers streamline their configuration, it improves link recovery, and helps them better manage their environment.

• "The most valuable feature for one of our customers is the ability to stage cloud workloads from the local network."
  • "Technical support is in need of improvement."

What other advice do I have?

I recommend using this solution. It is a good product and if the support were improved then it would be even better. I would rate this solution a nine out of ten.
reviewer1385268
Technical Lead at a comms service provider with 10,001+ employees
Nov 24, 2020
Simplifies automation and virtual services insertion

What is our primary use case?

We use it for connecting multiple sites through the internet. Typically, our clients are medium-sized businesses.

• "VeloCloud developed DMPO to increase performance and connectivity."
  • "VeloCloud could improve its integration capabilities with other solutions."

What other advice do I have?

For reliable connectivity, I would definitely recommend VeloCloud; however, if my customers want another kind of service in addition to connectivity, then I would recommend another kind of solution. On a scale from one to ten, I would give this solution a rating of nine.
See 7 more VMware SD-WAN Reviews