VMware Software Defined Storage Overview

VMware Software Defined Storage is the #13 ranked solution in our list of top Software Defined Storage (SDS) tools. It is most often compared to Nutanix Acropolis AOS: VMware Software Defined Storage vs Nutanix Acropolis AOS

What is VMware Software Defined Storage?

VMware software-defined storage is a simple, yet intelligent, storage data center architecture that aligns with business and application demands—eliminating static, purpose-built and inefficient hardware with dynamic, agile and automated solutions.

VMware Software Defined Storage is also known as VMware SDS.

VMware Software Defined Storage Buyer's Guide

Download the VMware Software Defined Storage Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: February 2021

VMware Software Defined Storage Customers

Helse Nord, Sky

VMware Software Defined Storage Video

Pricing Advice

What users are saying about VMware Software Defined Storage pricing:
  • "A single socket costs you around US $6,000 for three years. At a minimum, you have a three load cluster for a medium or enterprise-scale company. It can get quite expensive because you're likely to need four to six sockets on the other side. It comes to around $30,000."
  • "I believe there is a yearly licensing fee of around $2000 - $5000. I don't think there are additional costs above that but it depends on the type of infrastructure you're booting."
  • "The product is quite expensive and is among the most expensive for this type of solution."

VMware Software Defined Storage Reviews

KashifNaseer
Country Head SSID & GM South at a import and exporter with 51-200 employees
Reseller
Jan 30, 2020
Comes in a single management panel and doesn't require the need to buy separate dedicated storage

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case relates to the increasing number of customers moving away from traditional types of storage and trying to reduce the storage provisioning time and improve ease of use. That's the main reason customers are asking for software-defined storage. We deal with medium to enterprise-sized customers.

• "The single management panel is the main feature that is wonderful for the customer."
  • "I'd like to see improved hardware compatibility"

What other advice do I have?

VMware is better for those who don't have much experience with such tools because the locally available resources are enough to handle the solution. I think the product requires an OEM approach, purchase the hardware, software, and service from one source. The footprint of the hardware vendor should be established in the country and you need to have a very good partner in place to handle the hardware requests. I would rate this product an 8 out of 10.
RashidAnwar
Senior Project Engineer - Networks and Infrastructure at Tetra Pak
Feb 6, 2020
The ability to scale up without necessity of additional hardware is a key advantage

What is our primary use case?

I'm the senior project engineer for networks and infrastructure in our company and we're a customer of VMware. We usually design the product for specific situations and then sell it. We're currently working on four different projects, it's primarily a data product.

• "The best part of the solution is that you can actually scale up to a large number of operating systems without additional hardware."
  • "It doesn't have the ability to be deployed on any kind of hardware and network connectors."

What other advice do I have?

I would suggest to anyone considering purchasing the solution that it's important to validate your requirements first, whether you actually need it or not, before purchasing. In addition, the product can be better optimized. In the first instance, we paid more than we should have because we didn't know enough, but in subsequent projects we designed it differently, it was a better product, and we were able to save a lot of fees. You have to actually spend time customizing the solution based on your need and then it becomes more cost-effective and a more valuable solution, I would rate this…
Learn what your peers think about VMware Software Defined Storage. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: February 2021.
465,058 professionals have used our research since 2012.
reviewer841800
Data Center Technical Support Team Lead at a healthcare company with 10,001+ employees
Dec 16, 2019
Unifies all of our storage in one pool that can be located on different machines easily but it needs better reporting

What is our primary use case?

The primary use of the solution is to make better use of our resources.

• "This is an easy-to-use product for adding flexibility to your storage solution."
  • "The performance is not as good as some competing products and reporting can be improved."

What other advice do I have?

The product is user-friendly from an administrative standpoint and very easy to use. On a scale from one to ten where one is the worst and ten is the best, I would rate this VMware product as a seven out of ten. It is a seven and not an eight or nine because of the points which should be improved in the future like performance or added dashboard options and adding executive-level reporting and flexibility.