VMware SRM Overview

VMware SRM is the #8 ranked solution in our list of top Disaster Recovery Software. It is most often compared to Veeam Backup & Replication: VMware SRM vs Veeam Backup & Replication

What is VMware SRM?
VMware Site Recovery Manager is the industry-leading solution to enable application availability and mobility across sites in private cloud environments. Site Recovery Manager allows: Fast and reliable IT disaster recovery, simple and policy-based management, zero-downtime application mobility, and up to 50% lower TCO.

VMware SRM is also known as VMware vCenter Site Recovery Manager.

VMware SRM Buyer's Guide

Download the VMware SRM Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: May 2021

VMware SRM Customers
Acorda Therapeutics, Columbia Sportswear, Mainfreight, Nippon Express, Sin Chew Media, Fisher & Paykel, Siam City Bank
VMware SRM Video

Filter Archived Reviews (More than two years old)

Project Manager at Shriram Value Services
Its array-based integration is the most valuable feature

What is our primary use case?

VMware failover is our primary use case of DC DR automation. We are integrated with array-based replication.

How has it helped my organization?

We had not achieved our RTO before the SRM implementation. But now, we have achieved our RTO for DR drill.

What is most valuable?

Array-based integration is the most valuable feature. It has a user-friendly dashboard and will use the same vCenter console.

What needs improvement?

DR drill report is good but needs to be improved, and the replication monitoring feature is not available.

Solutions Consultant at a tech services company with 11-50 employees
Combined with RecoverPoint, it offers zero RPO and zero RTO

What is our primary use case?

We use it, I and several of my colleagues, as a data recovery solution between VMware environments. It is a complementary solution to EMC solutions, for storage.

• "Combined with RecoverPoint, it offers zero RPO and zero RTO."
  • "I would like to see better integration with other storage solutions. I would hope to see that within the next two or three years."

What other advice do I have?

Before choosing a cheaper solution, I would advise checking the limitations or boundaries of each solution. Compare VMware to Microsoft Hyper-V and other solutions - maybe open-source - and then see which fits your needs best.
Learn what your peers think about VMware SRM. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: May 2021.
509,820 professionals have used our research since 2012.
JY
User at a healthcare company with 5,001-10,000 employees
User
Makes the DR process a lot faster and easier for recovery, but SRM reporting is lacking

What is our primary use case?

Trying to analyze the feature and functionality of this combined product. SRM is current been used in the production. However, with new DR requirement, we are look for other solutions.

• "It made the DR process a lot faster and easier for recovery after we were familiar with the product operation."
  • "One thing which is lacking from the SRM is reporting."
  • "SRM may hit some OS issues related to IP changes, but they are usually OS related, especially in the 2008 realm."
Senior Systems Administrator with 1,001-5,000 employees
Testing Failover Capabilities Is Valuable, Though ​Flexibility To Choose Different PITs Would Help

What is most valuable?

Ease of management. Testing failover capabilities.

How has it helped my organization?

Gives us the ability for true DR testing, readiness.

What needs improvement?

Flexibility to choose different PITs would be nice. Also, ability to give VMs different priority per Recovery Plan would be useful.

Four years.

Not yet.

Not yet.

Seven out of 10. I give them a seven because they don’t always get back within the SLA, and have had a few issues they took a long time to resolve.

How was the

MZ
Senior Manager IT - Infrastructure at a construction company with 10,001+ employees
We Were Able To Cut Outage To A Maximum Of One Hour

• "Virtual Machine Recovery during DR situation, with automation and easy to use menus and options."
  • "In my view, if VMware comes up with an appliance-based solution like vCenter Server (which was also Windows-based), it will be much easier for deployment. I"

What other advice do I have?

It’s a good product from VMware. Just ensure that for each version upgrade, be patient and look for reviews or, if possible, have a test (virtualized) environment for test deployment.
Principal Analyst at a pharma/biotech company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Video Review
It helps execute a playbook to bring up your DR site after failing over a group of VMs to it, although I'd like more tools to help with editing the embedded databases.

What other advice do I have?

I always think there's room for improvement. They would seriously need to sit down and take a machine. I want to bring this machine up over here on a different network at a different location. And write down all the steps that they would manually do if they were going to do this process by hand. And like I said the replication is free. So they could technically replicate that over there right now today, make a copy of it and go oh, okay, go bring it up over there and write down all the steps that you have to manually do and then multiply that times the number of machines that you have to do…
Technical Architect at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
It has done some rearranging of the recovery plans so that you can get better visibility into what is going on during a failure.
Originally posted https://theithollow.com/2015/08/31/vmware-site-recovery-manager-6-1-annouced/ VMware announced Site Recovery Manager version 6.1 this week at VMworld in San Francisco California. Several new features were unveiled for VMware’s flagship Disaster Recovery product. Storage Profile Protection Groups Remember back in the old days (prior to today), when deploying a new virtual machine we had to ensure the datastore we were putting the virtual machine on was replicated? Not only that, but if this new VM was part of a group of similar VMs that needed to fail over together, we needed to make sure it was in the same protection group? Well VMware decided this was a cumbersome process and added “Storage Profile Protection Groups”. In SRM 6.1 we…
VMware NSX T/V Consulting Engineer /Solutions Architect at Plan IT Virtual, LLC
The solution allows organizations to have a solid business continuity plan but some research needed for configuration

What other advice do I have?

You should aspire to be really well versed on supporting this product you need to have in-house engineers that are well rounded in the networking, storage and operational aspects of vSphere/vCenter/SRM. I would recommend getting hands-on training through a VMware a Partner before implementing this product in your environment.
System Engineer with 1,001-5,000 employees
It provides a fast recovery time with easy access to history, but there can be stability issues.

What is most valuable?

Fast recovery time Ease of use

How has it helped my organization?

Easy to use Easy to document Easy to report Easy access to history

What needs improvement?

I can’t think of any right now, honestly.

I would give it a 7/10 for stability. It can be really bad, but generally fine, and we look at the availability when choosing new products.

It does have some limitations, but I would give it a 6/10.

Sometimes it’s good, sometimes it’s bad. It’s just luck of the draw.

We previously used Zerto. We switched because VMware only has a…
Senior Systems Engineer with 51-200 employees
MSP
It provides us with business continuity and disaster recovery, although it's not fully storage agnostic and there are versioning issues.

What other advice do I have?

Zerto may be more cost efficient, so I’m not 100% sold, and may not need it at all.
IT Administrator and Sr. VMware Engineer at a retailer with 501-1,000 employees
It has a detailed and comprehensive policy-based control.
Originally published in Spanish at https://www.rhpware.com/2015/09/vmware-site-recovery-manager-61 It is well known that VMware Site Recovery Manager is a high availability solution for applications and data transfer in private cloud environments. This is accomplished using isolation and encapsulation of virtual machines, resulting in simplified automation of the processes involved in replication to remote sites. Thus, SRM reduces the costs associated with obtaining efficient Recovery Time Objectives (RTO), providing a robust and standardized solution for business continuity and dramatically reduce the risk of data loss in our VMware virtualized data centers. Among the features offered by SRM is the ability to create and maintain disaster recovery plans more effective, which do not use…
Presales Cloud Consultant at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
With it, we're able to perform disaster recovery for different site, but there are issues with synchronization.

What other advice do I have?

Choosing VMware in general, is best in terms of functionality, but it is not necessarily cost effective, as their licensing and setup costs are too hight. Maybe we will see more products for cloud and automation.
Senior System Engineer at a government with 501-1,000 employees
Being able to test run in a protected environment is a valuable feature while vSphere Replication needs work

What is most valuable?

Test run in protected environment

How has it helped my organization?

More confidence over DR services

What needs improvement?

vSphere Replication feature

Four years.

We had an issue with the Array SRA.

We had a problem connecting to the SRM plug-in.

No issues encountered.

Customer Service: Good. Technical Support: Average.

No previous solution used.

Initial set-up was straightforward.

What about

Engineer at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
We're able to restore the files from SRM with minimal downtime.

What is most valuable?

Cost

How has it helped my organization?

We have had some customers that were hit with some random wear and we were able to restore the files from SRM with minimal downtime.

What needs improvement?

Nothing I have run into as of yet.

About 8 months.

It was deployed prior to my arrival with the company.

None encountered.

We use several solutions. We determine what is best for the customer and…
Associate Consultant with 51-200 employees
You avoid costly and time consuming DR recovery tests but vSphere needs additional scalability for smaller sites
System Engineer at a manufacturing company with 501-1,000 employees
Easily create test environments with the SRM test functionality but auto guest customizations through a GUI is missing

What other advice do I have?

Read and follow the admin guide, otherwise when you miss a step you can search long time. Also use the correct storage adapter of your storage vendor.
Owner with 51-200 employees
Implementation is not difficult as long as you know the business requirements

What is most valuable?

Disaster recovery of a failed site.

How has it helped my organization?

None, I implement this product for customers.

What needs improvement?

Storage integration.

5 years.

The integration (SRA’s) with storage and it’s versions.

None encountered.

Customer Service: 9 out of 10. Technical Support: 9 out of 10.

Just a regular backup product. But this wasn't a disaster recovery solution.

Senior IT Infrastructure Solutions at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
Able to provide customers with required RPO, not possible with traditional backup solutions. Stability could be better.

What is most valuable?

Instant VMware integration and a wide integration with storage vendors.

How has it helped my organization?

The company was able to provide customers with the required RPO that was not possible with traditional backup solutions.

What needs improvement?

Stability, speed.

4 years.

Bugs bugs bugs...

Sometimes the vm would not failover.

No backwards compatibility of different versions, this made scaling a bit difficult as we needed to upgrade existing infrastructure all the time.

Customer…
Senior IT Virtualization Architect at a tech services company with 501-1,000 employees
Easy to use and with lowest RPO can protect the main site; add a function to detect the business critical applications.

What other advice do I have?

Vmware SRM can handle all of the challenge of replication and disaster recovery in a simple way.
Senior Systems Engineer at a media company with 501-1,000 employees
The setup documentation needs to be improved greatly but the ability to support DR is valuable to our organization.

What is most valuable?

Ability to support DR.

How has it helped my organization?

We have a fully functioning DR environment.

What needs improvement?

The setup documentation needs to be improved greatly.

Only the fact that I had scour the Internet to find the proper setup information.

No issues encountered.

Customer Service: Average. Technical Support: Well the tech I spoke to did not know how the setup should be implemented, until I found the literature myself.

Did not…
Senior Consultant at a recruiting/HR firm with 51-200 employees
The recovery plans and customization options are great. I also the love the re-protect feature for easier fallback.

What other advice do I have?

Take the time to understand your change rate of your servers, your bandwidth capabilities and the recovery objects for your DR plan.
Architect at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
SRM - standard disaster recovery for VMware
Most VMware administrators have heard of Site Recovery Manager (SRM). SRM has been the standard in disaster recovery for some time. It plays into VMware’s parent company’s (EMC) product line, traditionally leveraging storage based replication. This architecture leverages write journaling technology we spoke of in our first article in the series, so Recovery Time Objectives (RTOs) and Recovery Point Objectives (RPOs) could be very aggressive. The down side to this architecture is that the customer has to have similar storage arrays at both the production and disaster recovery site. If for example the customer had a fiber channel array on the production side, and a lower grade NFS array from a different vendor on the other side SRM was not compatible Bummer… VMware however…
Architect at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
VMware SRM vs. Veeam vs. Zerto
Disaster recovery planning is something that seems challenging for all businesses. Virtualization in addition to its operational flexibility, and cost reduction benefits, has helped companies improve their DR posture. Virtualization has made it easier to move machines from production to recovery sites, but many of the disaster recovery tools today still function at the storage layer. Legacy technologies like storage array snapshots, and LUN based replication restrict the configuration options of upstream technologies like VMware Storage DRS. If you wanted to replicate a virtual machine you had to replicate the entire LUN is resided on. You weren’t free to leverage Storage DRS for its automated performance balancing features because a VM could be migrated from one LUN mucking…
Download our free VMware SRM Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.