VMware vRealize Automation (vRA) Overview

VMware vRealize Automation (vRA) is the #3 ranked solution in our list of top Cloud Management tools. It is most often compared to VMware vRealize Operations (vROps): VMware vRealize Automation (vRA) vs VMware vRealize Operations (vROps)

What is VMware vRealize Automation (vRA)?

VMware vRealize Automation automates the delivery of personalized infrastructure, applications and custom IT services.

This cloud automation software lets you deploy across a multi-vendor hybrid cloud infrastructure, giving you both flexibility and investment protection for current and future technology choices.

Agility Through Automation

Automate the end-to-end delivery and management of infrastructure, and accelerate application deployment and releases.

Choice Through Flexibility

Provision and manage multivendor, multicloud infrastructure and applications by leveraging existing infrastructure, tools and processes.

Personalization Through Governance Policies

Ensure that users receive the right size resource or application at the appropriate service level for the jobs they need to perform.

Efficiency Through Cost Containment

Provide consistent, automated delivery and management of IT services and reduce time-consuming, manual processes. Reclaim inactive resources for reuse with automated reclamation, providing cost savings.

VMware vRealize Automation (vRA) is also known as VMware vRealize Automation, vRA, VMware DynamicOps Cloud Suite.

VMware vRealize Automation (vRA) Buyer's Guide

Download the VMware vRealize Automation (vRA) Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: April 2021

VMware vRealize Automation (vRA) Customers

Rent-a-Center, Amway, Vistra Energy, Liberty Mutual

VMware vRealize Automation (vRA) Video

Filter Archived Reviews (More than two years old)

DM
Sr. Manager, Open Systems Service Desk at a healthcare company with 501-1,000 employees
Streamlines DevOps, enables us to incorporate and automate Day 2 Operations

What is our primary use case?

DevOps is our primary use case. It's performing okay. We're getting ready to upgrade and move into an HA environment, so it will be much better.

• "The most valued feature is the streamlining of the DevOps process, automation and orchestration. It provides the ability for the entire Dev lifecycle to actually be incorporated into a single stream."
  • "We still struggle a little bit with the configuration as far as making sure that we have all the endpoints where they need to be, because that's not as agile as we'd like in the back-end. We're working towards that with our DevOps teams to make sure that we're touching the right endpoints and getting the right data."
  • "in general, it took us a long time to get it off the ground. We had a lot of issues upfront and we determined that we just needed to scrap it. I think we scrapped it two or three times before we actually got it built the way we wanted, and we're still not where we need to be. We have had downtime. There have been some issues, but we're also two iterations behind on version."

What other advice do I have?

In general, I'd recommend vRA but make sure that your framework is set, that you understand what your processes are so that you can fit into the framework. It's not intuitive and user-friendly but we've made it that way. We've allowed the DevOps teams to incorporate some of their components inside of the catalogs themselves, so we give them a little bit more flexibility, rather than dictating what they need to do. That way, it really runs true to their process. I rate vRA about an eight out of ten because of the inability to get this thing stood up, initially. We weren't the first to actually…
DR
CEO at Lidoma
It is a source for restoration services

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use it for restoration services.

What needs improvement?

The most important thing that we missed in vRanger was the possibility to mount several images instantaneously and present it so that we can run it immediately.

Stability is fine.

The scalability is not good. It is slow to scale to our needs.

The installation was complex and time consuming.

What other advice do I have?

I would not recommend this product. I think that there are better products to meet your needs that are competitors on the market.
Learn what your peers think about VMware vRealize Automation (vRA). Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: April 2021.
502,104 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Cloud Architect at Swisscom
User-friendly and perfect for the end-user

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case of this solution is to provide our clients with a virtual private cloud. It has been performing very well. We've had some multi-tenancy issues but VMware has been very supportive.

• "For repeated installations and provisioning of VMs, we now have a clear definition of what has been installed, and we can monitor all that stuff."
  • "The initial setup was complex because we have a high availability cluster. Especially when it comes to upgrades, we have a lot of downtimes and problems. The upgrade experience has been painful."

What other advice do I have?

I would rate this solution a seven because it hasn't perfectly adapted to our use cases with multi-tenancy. If you're looking into this solution I would tell you that if you use this solution only within your own company, you'll be fine. If you have a business like ours, it can get complicated.
Team leader infrastructure at Asseco SEE
Easy to deploy and our Customers have seen ROI

What is our primary use case?

My primary use case for this solution is to automate the development of the infrastructure. I deployed the VM for the development team.

• "The initial setup was straightforward. It's easy to deploy."
  • "7.5 is not user-friendly, in fact, it's a nightmare. They changed everything on the graphic user interface, the mode where the user interacts with the product."

What other advice do I have?

I would rate this solution a nine and would advise someone looking into this or a similar solution to invest in VMware Orchestrator. It's behind vRealize Automation for almost everything. You should know vRealize Orchestrator first and then try to deploy, install, and configure vRealize Automation.
SD
Cloud engineer at a government with 10,001+ employees
Allows the user to deploy on their own and has increased provisioning speed

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case for this solution is for making a cloud through ICDC. We have to integrate them into many VM masses with vRA.

• "Before it would take months to deploy a VM, now, with this solution, we can deploy many VMs in one hour. We can do a stack of them with Mediaware."
  • "The setup was complex in many ways. The first reason is that we have many teams who work on it so it gets complicated gathering all of the people. The second reason is that it can be complicated to install it quickly, within a reasonable amount of time."

What other advice do I have?

I would rate this solution a nine because we've had a good experience with their consultants. Also, because the product is evolving. I would advise someone looking into this or a similar solution, to test the solution beforehand and to be in contact with VMware for advice and help with configuration. You'll realize this solution isn't so complicated.
    DK
    Systems engineer
    Requires an obscene amount of time to get anything done but has increased provisioning speed

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case of this solution is to automate with our various partners. It performs quite poorly, has a quite steep learning curve, and you have to invest an extraordinary amount of time to be able to do anything.

• "The setup was straightforward. We upgraded to a newer version seamlessly. It worked really well."
    • "I have not found this solution to be user-friendly. It's really complicated. The demo shows that you can automate anything but they only show basic scenarios. If you want to do anything more complicated than that, it becomes very complicated to set up."

What other advice do I have?

I would rate this solution a neutral five. It has a lot of potential but it's very hard to use. It has a steep learning curve and you need to invest an obscene amount of time to be able to do anything. I would advise someone looking into this solution to be prepared to invest some serious time.
    MS
    Vice president at a financial services firm with 10,001+ employees
    easy to add more capacity once it's set up but it's not cheap

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case is to deploy a private cloud. It has integrated well with an in-house-developed front end. Then we have the vRA's all over the backend and all the deployments in the vSphere.

• "We haven't hit any limits yet, scalability is good."
    • "It's not cheap."

What other advice do I have?

I would rate this solution an eight. There's always room for improvement, nothing's perfect but we haven't had any major problems because of it or with it. I would advise someone looking into this solution to check out the training before you get it and not afterward because it covers all of the deployment.
    MK
    DevOps Engineer at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
    Enables us to cover all use cases using only one product although it is lacking ways it can be automated

What is our primary use case?

We use vRA to deliver automation on top of the solutions we provide which are desktops, servers, and multiple other products. These products require more actions to implement than what the vendor offers. Our primary use case is integrating customer's environments and performing data operations.

• "The whole VMR ecosystem allows us to serve multiple customers, multiple organizations and also multiple units per customer. We can cover every level without using the whole VRA and the rest of the ecosystem. We don't need to use a separate product to provide separate functionalities for the customer. We can cover all the use cases using only one product on our side which is really helpful. T"
    • "I would like to see more automation, more ways to automate automation tasks."

What other advice do I have?

I rated this solution a seven because I wouldn't give a ten to any product since there is no such thing as an ideal product. Developers complain about some minor stuff so it's still not always the perfect product for us. I wouldn't give it a lower score because at the end it does what it's supposed to do. We are using it, customers are happy, it brings customers which makes money. It does the job. I would advise someone who is looking into VRA or a similar solution to try to network with other companies, to learn from the mistakes they've made, from the stuff they've discovered. Also, I would…
    Technical Manager at a pharma/biotech company with 5,001-10,000 employees
    It's easy for the end user to set up templates but hasn't been stable

What is our primary use case?

It's a SunBox for the people developing apps for the healthcare company. They can submit the project chapter, implement what they want based on the template that we have in the vRealize Automation, check, compare, and then at the end, they can build a project charter with all the needed components.

• "Scalability is perfect. We haven't had any issues."
    • "The stability is why I rated it a seven and not higher. There were several cases where we had to restart some services because it wasn't working correctly anymore. People cannot extend their machine or replay their machine. There is no alert to say that there is a problem and that we should stop the service. The monitoring system is not very good."
    MS
    Project Architect
    Enabled us to self-manage firewalls within NSX but the interface is outdated

What is our primary use case?

We use it to deploy virtual machines and for self-managed firewalls within NSX. It's a self-service portal to speed up things.

• "It's much more stable than the highest available variant."
    • "Most of the time the upgrade experience has been good but sometimes things break after upgrading. For example, some API codes stopped working."

What other advice do I have?

If you're looking into vRA, I would advise that you to choose it but don't customize it.
    Systems Engineer at a university
    We are able to provision VMs much faster than before

What is our primary use case?

Primary use case is building a self-service portal for students at our university. It has performed quite well up until now.

• "It's quite user friendly. Everyone can use it, even non-technical people. This is good, since we use it to build a self-service portal which even users with not a lot of technical background can use."
    • "We upgraded twice. The last upgrade was a bit problematic."

What other advice do I have?

We are overall satisfied with the product. Give it a try. Try it out in the labs from VMware. Evaluate it quite deeply, and see if it fits for your purpose or company.
    MC
    IT Professional
    The stability is very bad. It crashes. The tech support knows the IIS component is a bit buggy.

What is our primary use case?

We use it for automating the deployment of multiple virtual machines.

• "The customer can set up multiple machine blueprints. Therefore, we are able to customize the template of three machines, then the customer can deploy without knowing anything about the IT business."
    • "The initial setup is very complex because we have a bunch of customization workflows. They were built-in features that we had to program as code with Orchestration."
    • "The stability on the 6.2 version is very bad. It crashes. VMware tech support knows the IIS component is a bit buggy."

What other advice do I have?

I think we will be leaving the platform. For our business case, it was the wrong product, but there was nothing else on the market at the time. When we deployed our virtual machines, we had a very big template with 30 to 40 machines. It was difficult to configure all the virtual machines and blueprints. It was locked when it was deployed with vShield, and now, there is NSX and vShield is no longer supported.
    SB
    Principal Systems Engineer at a tech company with 10,001+ employees
    MSP
    It is bleeding edge technology, but at times, it is buggy.

What is our primary use case?

It is similar to a lab system for testing our software versions. We also use it for cloning customer environments for troubleshooting.

• "It is mostly for our tech support to test new versions, find bugs, and troubleshoot what is happening at customer sites."
    • "I can make a blueprint with an Active Directory deployment. With everything prepared, people can start installing our products."
    • "It is too broad scale and complicated. It takes too many clicks to do things."

What other advice do I have?

It is a complicated product, but you can do anything with it.
    PP
    Technical consultant at a comms service provider with 10,001+ employees
    The automation is valuable for us, especially where vRA integrates with vRO

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case is to automate deployments of virtual machines and data actions. We have automated everything using vRA.

• "The automation part is valuable, especially where vRA integrates with vRO, because it reduces the amount of effort we have to make."
    • "It's not a smooth upgrade process. For a DTA environment, which is very simple, it is a smooth process, but for our production environment, which is quite enhanced and has a lot of dependencies, it's not easy at all, and it results in a lot of errors... It takes a lot of retries to upgrade which ends up being costly."

What other advice do I have?

vRA 8, from what I have seen of it, in a session here at VMworld 2018 Europe, fulfills every need we have. The Service Broker is better. vRA simply speaks with all my other endpoints and I see a lot of benefits in that. I would rate this solution as an eight because the way we set it up reduces the effort which would normally have been needed to deploy a virtual machine or perform data actions. I'm not giving it a higher score simply because of the difficulties we have run into in the past with it as well as the difficulties we continuously face during upgrades. We are currently discussing if…
    YB
    IT Architect at a consultancy with 10,001+ employees
    Using the VMware vRealize self-service portal, we can better manage the lifecycle

What is our primary use case?

The primary use case is the automation of the cyber functionalities. Right now, it is performing well.

How has it helped my organization?

For the cyber functionalities, we used to set up the functionalities manually using templates. Now, using the VMware vRealize self-service portal, the user can request a server, and we can better manage the lifecycle.

What is most valuable?

Manageability of the blueprints. Integration with the rest of VMware solutions. Availability of the Orchestrator. It is intuitive and user-friendly.

Stability is fine. Though, we have seen some issues with upgrades or installations. This means we have to raise a call every time with VMware.

What do I think about the

UM
    IT Infrastructure Manager at a consultancy with 10,001+ employees
    Reseller
    We receive good attention from the technical support, and they are supportive

What is our primary use case?

We're moving from our normal IT support platform to be a service provider to our hospital. I am with a medical corporation managing more than 95 percent of the healthcare services in Qatar. There are many big hospitals under our IT Operations, and we're trying to move and be a service provider to them.

• "The solution is user-friendly and intuitive."
    • "We would like them to improve the automation part. This is an upcoming area that we would like to focus on."

What other advice do I have?

We recommend VMware technologies to any of our colleagues or anyone asking to compare to other virtualization technologies in the market. We have had VMware for more than twenty years. We are very old VMware customers and have a big setup.
    DV
    Engineer at a tech services company with 501-1,000 employees
    The automation of VMs is consistent. The front-end is user-friendly and intuitive.

What is our primary use case?

We use it for the automation of VMs. It is performing okay.

How has it helped my organization?

We use it to deploy databases and testing environments. It spins up quickly and breaks down fast.

What is most valuable?

The automation is consistent. The front-end is user-friendly and intuitive.

What needs improvement?

It is very difficult to make the automation work well. This is not product specific, but more due to environment and procedures that we have in our company. The back-end has a steep learning curve.

The stability is good.

I used the technical support during upgrades. They came onsite and are very technical. They are very good …
    Information Technology Services at TUI InfoTec GmbH
    It improves the work, making it better. It also makes daily work much easier.

What is our primary use case?

We use it to deploy virtual machines and integrate them into our structured environment.

• "The solution is intuitive and user-friendly. E.g., you have less number of logins."
    • "The stability is okay, but could be improved. We sometimes receive strange errors, which can only be solved with specialists."

What other advice do I have?

It improves the work, making it better. It also makes daily work much easier.
    PS
    Head of Cloud and Technology with 1,001-5,000 employees
    It can automate the entire technical and business processes related to it. Upgrades are always a pain.

What is our primary use case?

We're using it to automate the lifecycle of all the VMs that we are managing.

• "It is possible to completely automatize the creation and removal of a virtual machine."
    • "Upgrades are always a pain."

What other advice do I have?

I recommend going directly to the cloud which already has the self-service portal and other fancy features.
    RE
    Solution Architect at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
    It is stable and works fine with the exception of integration with public clouds and multi-tenant data centers

What is our primary use case?

We use it mainly for cloud automation with private cloud solutions. It works fine with the exception of integration with public clouds and multi-tenant data centers.

How has it helped my organization?

It has been pretty successful for many of my customers so far. vRA is user-friendly. It has the same layout and walk-through GUI, similar to other VMware products.

What is most valuable?

Orchestration Out-of-the-box integration with Database-as-a-Service Storage-as-a-service Backup-as-a-service

What needs improvement?

More integration and out-of-the-box use cases would be nice.

It is very stable, especially for high availability features.

What do I think about the scalability of the

Team Lead Private Cloud at a retailer with 1,001-5,000 employees
    Our users can order VMs using the API

What is our primary use case?

We use vRealize Automation for our customers. We are an internal service company and use vRA for a SAFE Self Service portal for our customers to provide VMs. We started five years ago with normal virtualization. Then, the platform grew and our customers requested additional services.

• "Our users can order VMs using the API."
    • "It would be better if VMware would provide API documentation for developers and customers on the Internet."

What other advice do I have?

The new version is user-friendly and intuitive. We have upgraded to 7.5, and this has been a good step for the product's usability. Today, I would start with the vRA device. In the beginning, we did a lot of stuff with vRealize Orchestrator, so we had to develop our workflows on our own, which is a bit more complicated. So, vRA is good idea if you want to start and get quick results.
    AE
    Head of IT at Interswitch
    It provides visibility into the VM space

What is our primary use case?

We use it to be able to see everything within our VM space.

How has it helped my organization?

It has helped our organization tremendously.

What is most valuable?

It provides visibility into the VM space. It is user-friendly to a greater extent.

It is stable.

It is scalable.

I have used the technical support once or twice, and they were good.

We are highly virtualized, so we like anything related to VMware because we need the visability their products provide. We need to know what is going on, so we can supervise our…
    Senior Systems Administrator at a financial services firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
    Video Review
    Enables us to automatically reboot, power up servers, add applications

What is our primary use case?

We have used it mostly for our internal IT. We haven't really published it for customers or other groups to be able to use it. But we've actually just hit the surface. We've used it for rebooting servers, adding applications, automating some scripts; general things like that.

What other advice do I have?

The solution is user-friendly, to a degree. I feel like you still have to know a little bit of the ins and outs of how to get into it, some of the commands to use for what, exactly, you're trying to do. But besides that, it's pretty user-friendly. In terms of increasing infrastructure agility with it, we have, maybe to a small degree. I don't feel that, with our implementation of vRealize Automation, we have really gotten very far. We've only scratched the surface. Like I said, we only use it for our internal IT, and we're just being able to save a little bit of time by the things that we do…
    AR
    Senior Systems Administrator at Webroot Software
    Video Review
    The infrastructure has helped us to greatly increase our agility

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case is for our QA department. They use it to deploy machines when they need to test something out. It has performed well. They are able to spin up a new instance of Windows virtual machine and test whatever use case they have, then turn it back down whenever they are done.

• "Our QA department is able to spin up a new instance of Windows virtual machine and test whatever use case they have, then turn it back down whenever they are done."
    • "The infrastructure has helped us to greatly increase our agility."
    • "For the administrator, it can be a little challenging. For the administrator, there are a lot of moving parts. It is fine once you figure out where the knobs are you need to twiddle, but it can be a challenge to get it up and running."

What other advice do I have?

I would rate the solution as an eight out of ten. It has been extremely useful for our end users. To administer, it has been a bit more difficult.
    Systems Administrator at a manufacturing company with 1,001-5,000 employees
    Video Review
    Used by developers to spin up their own VMs and destroy them at will

What is our primary use case?

It is primarily used for developers to spin up their own VMs and destroy them at will, afterwards my group spins it up in production machines. Probably, its most valuable feature is it takes time off of my schedule to quickly, securely, and conveniently deploy virtual machines, then I can work on other things.

• "It is probably 90 percent quicker to get something out the door than it was before. For developers, depending on who is building VMs for them, sometimes they request anywhere from 20 to 100. Now, we can deploy them in a matter of an hour, where previously it might have taken me three days to deploy out 100 VMs."
    • "The big benefit is it will spin up VMs quickly so it would take about 13 to 15 minutes to deploy a virtual machine. Whereas, if I were doing it based on an email from users who are requesting VMs, it might take time for me to hear back from them. This could be anywhere from an hour to a day."
    • "It's extremely convenient to be able to spin something up and be able to work on other things, because it's already done it, making my workload lighter."
    • "It would be nice in the next release if they added in tool tips. Whether you're putting it together, adding a blueprint, or you're making a change in the system, highlighting or selecting something and having it tell you what it does or what it will do would be nice. Because it's such a complex system, it's hard to work with unless you've been using it for years to know what everything is doing."

What other advice do I have?

It is a solid 10. It's completely taken a lot of time off my plate so I can concentrate on other things, including learning the product as well as vRO, vRealize Orchestrator. If it's too complex for you, get a consulting company, because it makes the process a lot easier. I would definitely speak with other people who have implemented it in their environment. We've actually done that in the past for other products. It's nice to hear what other companies think about the product. It will help accelerate your decision. Most important criteria when selecting a vendor: * Ease-of-use. *…
    Solutions Architect at a university
    Video Review
    It improves time to market and makes a developer's life easier

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case for the product is self-service IT. VMware builds it as a portal for self-service and infrastructure as a service, which is what we are using it for, as we roll forward automating and orchestrating more tasks and being able to push things out of the hands of sys admins and into the hands of the users and app admins.

• "In terms of scalability, vRA has connections to a lot of different systems. It's very flexible and an impressive product."
    • "vRealize automation stability is pretty good. They are always fixing bugs. The product team is doing a great job of addressing any issues that we might have."
    • "vRealize Automation has improved the speed of provisioning just by automating things, making people think about whether a human really needs to do something or can we make the machines do it for us. It is a lot faster to deploy things now."
    • "vRealize Automation on the back-end is still a little complicated. It has a lot of moving pieces, simplifying that from a pure infrastructure point of view would be a good thing. I would then like to have more out-of-the-box functionality and integrations with VMware components."

What other advice do I have?

The solution is getting better. VMware has been paying a lot of attention to it lately, and it's been inheriting a lot of their cloud efforts, user interface improvements, and getting more intuitive. It's a nice thing. To be able to build custom forms and do more things, which directly respond to our customer's needs. If I had to rate the solution one to ten, I would give it a seven. There is room for improvement, but it looks like they are making those improvements and putting a lot of work into it.
    Infrastructure Architect at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
    Video Review
    Solution is extensible, and customization of community-provided Blueprints helps as a basis for automation

What is our primary use case?

Primary use case is, generally, a DevOps lab-type environment that we have, spread across multiple locations throughout the United States. It's meant for a DevOps shop, for our developers to spin up, spin down VMs or applications, and do their testing.

• "The extensibility of it and the customization of a lot of the Blueprints, that you can customize, and the community as a whole. There's a ton of community-generated Blueprints that might be (helpful) to set up a design for your automation needs, that you can use as a base and go on from there and make changes to it."
    • "The deployment mechanisms for the initial deployment of the product line lacks the appropriate documentation to give someone who's never used it before... There might be cases where someone wants to go to the website, go to the doc section, and do a step-by-step on how to deploy it. That's really not as brushed-up as other documents I've seen that they have. That would definitely be an improvement on their end."

What other advice do I have?

Make sure that you know what you're getting into, first off, what it's for and what you might need it for because I might recommend maybe a less robust product line for your needs as opposed to something that's more of like a higher infrastructure, corporation-level product line, like vRealize. Every version, they've updated the UI, scalability, added new products to be able to work with different cloud vendors. Overall, that part of it's fine, there have been improvements from version to version. As far as automation techniques, like Chef or Puppet or Ansible, it's the age-old thing: Mac…
    AN
    Systems Administrator at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
    Video Review
    Allows us to deploy more quickly, tying into our CI/CD pipeline and giving us more agility

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case for the product is automating the basic rollout of a VM. Our experience with it has been very good. It's one of those things where, if you don't have to think about a product, it just does its thing, it's in the background, you don't have to worry about it, that's always handy.

• "The solution has helped us to increase infrastructure agility, mostly because, in addition to it being able to do its thing on its own, it has tie-ins to other parts of our CICD pipeline. We use Jenkins for our build process which, of course, vRA has plugins for, to be able to integrate with it. We use Chef and there is the Chef build as part of our image that we standardized to deploy, and that can tie in with our section of the pipeline that it does for applications."
    • "The most valuable feature that we have is that it's able to deploy several different operating systems, it's able to deploy whatever we want. We can take a template, spin it up, revise it, save it back off, and be able to have that for other departments. We can have one for our Dev team and one for our research team which has some specific requirements. We can keep track of them and deploy things automatically."
    • "We have also found it to be intuitive and user-friendly. It's something that, because it has the workflows that are very easily graphed out - you can follow what it's doing, it's very picturesque, you can see what it's doing easily - it's something that you can hand over to a user who is not familiar with it and they can wrap their brain around it pretty quickly."

What other advice do I have?

I would easily give vRA a nine out of ten. It has done everything that we need. We're not the most complex use case, but it's done everything we need, we can just forget about it in the background. It's a nine and not a ten because of the training stuff. It would be helpful to have a nice flow of training for a new employee. I'm the "old guy" of the shop and we're bringing on new people or new use cases. For example, the user-services department needs to start using it. How do we bring in new people to use its fleshed-out features, in addition to just our using it, where other departments are…
      AR
      Solution Architect at a aerospace/defense firm with 51-200 employees
      Automation enables us to do more with fewer people

What is our primary use case?

We mostly use it for generating VMware instances. Things are getting to a point now where you need to be able to do more with less. Anything you can automate is always going to help you in the long run. I'm in the government sector. We're in extreme "do-more-with-less," so we're constantly looking for solutions where we can automate things that we're doing on a day-to-day basis. That's especially true when you have repeatable processes. Automation becomes paramount to get your mission completed in a timely fashion.

What other advice do I have?

In terms of advice, being here at VMworld 2018 is a start. I'm sitting through a lot of these presentations and there's a myriad of information available that is located right here, as opposed to me having to go search for it across the web. When we consider working with a vendor, for us, government certifications help. From our perspective, ATOs and STIGs and all those types of things being in existence before we start to work with them are important, because having to obtain all those things from us is a difficult portion of it. Also, product support for integration with other systems…
      Executive Manager at a financial services firm with 10,001+ employees
      Creating machines is super-fast and managing the process is simple

What is our primary use case?

We use it for about 1,000 clients at Santander Bank in Brazil and, nowadays, we have about 22,000 machines. It's performing very well.

What other advice do I have?

I rate it nine out of ten because of the simplicity of the solution. It's so easy to manage
      BK
      Ops Manager at a financial services firm with 10,001+ employees
      Self-service, from onboarding to the end, is helpful, but upgrades are not straightforward

What is our primary use case?

Initially, we used it for private cloud. Now, we are trying to go with a hybrid model. In terms of performance, right now we're making revisions to ensure that it is hybrid-compatible. We have multiple engagements with VMware to facilitate it that.

• "The self-service capabilities are by far the best that we've seen in terms of features. If the user is being able to log in and make requests himself, from the onboarding process all the way to the end, that's very helpful."
      • "The upgrade experience is horrible. It's not straightforward, there are a lot of failures, a lot of support interactions. It's not something that we are able to pull off ourselves. I've been with vRA since it was termed vCSA. We've gone through multiple rounds, and it has never been easy."
      • "The stability needs a lot of work. The troubleshooting component of vRealize is a pain. The administration and the upgrades are not up to the mark. If they were able to improve on that, that would be the best thing and would make it much easier to run it in the enterprise."

What other advice do I have?

I rate it at six out of ten right now. To get to a ten, they definitely need to improve on the administration and the troubleshooting. From an operations perspective, it is a nightmare. From a user perspective, it is pretty good.
      MW
      Systems Engineer at a insurance company with 1,001-5,000 employees
      Allows us to deploy much faster, but sometimes deployments fail and we don't know why

What is our primary use case?

We use it for server deployments, typically. It's mostly for managing our own private cloud, for infrastructure-as-a-service deployments. It has performed well. We just recently went through an upgrade that had some hiccups to it, but it's been performing well for us.

• "Instead of deploying a VM from a template and going through the process of configuring that VM, with vRA we're able to click once and it does everything: grabs an IP, joins it to the domain, loads whatever configuration agents are needed. It does all of that without manual intervention."
      • "usability; Ease of use, the GUI, is probably the best feature, so that really anybody can use it. You don't have to be technical to be able to deploy a VM. I find it to be intuitive and user-friendly. Regarding some of the files that you feed it, you don't have to do a ton of development. You can feed it pretty standard configuration files. You don't have to be a developer, you don't have to know C# or Java or the like to get it going."
      • "My impression of its stability is "middle of the road." We've had some issues where it seems to be a little bit sensitive, where deployments fail and we don't really know a specific reason why. We'll dig through logs and try and figure out what's going on, but it's not always apparent as to why it failed. And you can kick it off again and it'll succeed. So stability could be better."

What other advice do I have?

I rate vRA at seven out of ten. There's some room for improvement, but it's better than the old way that we used to do things. It's a good product, it could just use some ironing out. The most important criterion when selecting a vendor, to my mind, is support: a support network, whether it be knowledgebase articles online, forums online, or calling into actual, paid support.
      NW
      System Engineer at a retailer with 10,001+ employees
      Helps us with speed of deployment, but upgrades and tracking down logs are difficult

What is our primary use case?

The primary use case is to automate systems, and at a faster pace, so we can give them to our end-users faster.

• "The most valuable feature is the way that it plugs into our monitoring systems, and Infoblox and Puppet."
      • "I don't find the solution to be intuitive and user- friendly. The GUI is really complicated. Tracking down logs and errors is very hard. Then, it takes a specialized JavaScript person to build. Also, I'm not sure how the upgrades are going now, but they definitely need to evolve the upgrade process. Finally, the logs are very generalized. Giving more of an indicator of what's actually going wrong, rather than just a generic error code, would help."
      • "We had a lot of issues at first. Especially with doing any kind of upgrades, it was a complete tear-down and a complete rebuild of all the Blueprints. The upgrade process was not easy or intuitive at all. But it seems to be getting better."

What other advice do I have?

Read as much as possible and then take it slowly and don't try to jump in full force. Make sure you have a good plan going into it. That was one of our mistakes. We were expecting, "Oh, this will be pretty easy," but once we got into it, was a little more complex than we were thinking. I give the solution about a seven out of 10, given the process we've gone through with it. We've had it now for three years, but we haven't been able to really deploy it in production. I don't know if it's because of the documentation or just the ability to be able to use it and make it functional.
      AJ
      Senior Infrastructure Design at a insurance company with 1,001-5,000 employees
      Helps us provision servers much faster but the learning curve is steep for sysadmins

What is our primary use case?

Primary use case for us is how do we consolidate, how do we provision machines as fast as possible, provision databases? Also, how do we go from on-prem to cloud?

• "I don't think it's intuitive or user-friendly. I think it's a good tool. Any automation tool, these days, the learning curve is kind of high. You're teaching sysadmins who never developed stuff. Maybe they modified a little bit of code and now you tell them, "Hey, here's the tool, use it." But you have to know a little bit of DevOps. So you have to train them how to do the scripting."

What other advice do I have?

My advice would be to hire Professional Services. Don't do it yourself. When looking to work with a vendor, the most important factor is skills. They need to have the right skills, especially when you don't have time, your project timeline is very short. Skills are the key: someone who knows the product, who has lot of experience, and who has done it before.
        PJ
        Cloud Services Engineer at a tech company with 10,001+ employees
        Access provisioning enables us to separate access to different Catalog items, but menus and stability need improvement

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case is production IT, VM provisioning workloads. It performs pretty well most of the time.

• "The most valuable features are the Catalog View and the access control business group. Access provisioning is probably the main use case for us, so we can separate access to different Catalog items among the different business groups and have that tied back to our AD LDAP systems."
        • "I don't find it to be entirely user-friendly. There are a lot of complicated menus within menus within menus. Things move around from version to version."

What other advice do I have?

If you have the validated designs or PSO guidance for setup, go with that now. Try to keep it as out-of-the-box as possible, in a supported configuration. I rate this solution at seven out of ten. By now, it does the job we need it to do most of the time. There are definitely areas where it could use some improvements.
        MT
        Principal Vendor Manager at a healthcare company with 501-1,000 employees
        Performance and optimization provide good value, but it may not keep up with changing technology

What other advice do I have?

You should look at the complexity and size of your environment, and when utilizing that background for your requirements, I personally would recommend VMware. You should look at what your deliverables are in this solution. If you do that, you have something you can measure it by, to determine if it's a good fit for you. But I do suggest that you look at VMware as a potential vendor. I rate the solution at seven out of ten because I don't believe it's a perfect solution. It fits in our data center and it works for our organization, so it's a good solution for us. Yet, at the same time…
        JK
        Sys Admin at a government with 1,001-5,000 employees
        Self-provisioning speeds up machine creation, but the solution is not user-friendly

What is our primary use case?

We mainly use it for deploying SAP machines, SAP-type systems.

• "It allows some of the tenants to self-provision their machines, so they don't have to wait for us to create the machine for them."
        • "I don't find it to be user-friendly or intuitive because, in my case, when I have to deploy SAP systems, I need to jump between the vRA, the vRO, and the actual vCenter itself. I need to go back and forth to do different things... I wish they could make it just one application, just vRA, that does all that. There might be a way to do it but I haven't figured out how to do it yet."
        • "vCenter and vRA, I believe they share two different databases so sometimes you have to somehow sync them up. I wish there was only one database between the two or, somehow, one database would rule over the other one, so if you have both products, the vCenter might use the vRA database. Otherwise, when you do stuff in vCenter, you have to write a command on vRA to update the databases."

What other advice do I have?

My advice is: Get training. I give vRA a seven out of ten, for now. In addition to the database issue I mentioned, it's not quite clear how to do certain things. I have not been given training on it. The learning curve is steep. For me, a lot of it is on-the-job training. There might be a better way to do things, a quicker way, but I don't know what it is right now. For now, I don't find it that intuitive to use.
        JS
        Systems Admin at a consultancy with 11-50 employees
        Templates enable me to streamline the initial deployment of systems

What is our primary use case?

Everything that takes away from my having to do my own tasks is a very big plus. With Automation and a lot of the components we are looking at right now, I will be able to template everything out and streamline the process, which is going to save me a lot of time. My main focus is COOP sites and disaster recovery, so automating those makes my job easy.

• "I find the system to be intuitive and user-friendly. In general, I'm quite happy with the entire setup. Once you configure the system, navigating the portal is pretty simple. They use a lot of the vSphere UI interface structure so it's intuitive, especially if you have used anything vSphere-related before."

What other advice do I have?

Make sure that you know what your infrastructure looks like before you start. I rate this solution at eight out of ten, with potential to grow. I still have to learn a lot more about it. Once I learn some of the additional features and add-ons that I can implement, I think it will increase.
          IC
          Product Engineer at a tech company with 5,001-10,000 employees
          Enables us to be hybrid, to provide services cross-platform to a variety of clients

What is our primary use case?

Automation and operations.

• "They can improve on the dashboard representations and the options for non-technical people. I would like to see the ability to customize that and maybe provide them with helpful guides to what subscriptions they have. Sometimes, I find that I have to do more explanation to people who do approvals. I would really like to customize the display to the terms they use in their particular business unit. So a little bit more of a nod to the customization of the UI for non-technical users would be helpful."

What other advice do I have?

My advice would be to go to hands-on labs to see if it's exactly what you're looking for because, as far as the reality versus the expectation goes, it might be a little bit of a shock, especially for the non-technical person. If they're going to say you, "It's going to be great. You're going to know everything," there are some things you might have to take into consideration. They might have to do a little tutorial for you. I would just try to set your expectations. I rate it at eight out of ten. I believe it's intuitive and user-friendly. Could it improve? Yes. Could it be worse? It could've…
            AB
            Field Service Engineer at a tech services company with 5,001-10,000 employees
            Decreases development and testing time, but stability and performance need work

What is our primary use case?

As a VMware partner, we use it to help us automate the deployment of VMs.

What other advice do I have?

I recommend this solution, though it is not that great. It is okay for what it is for. When it works it's great. For me, personally, I don't want a call from a customer that it failed. Most of the time it works. If it doesn't, then we do troubleshooting. I rate it a seven out of ten because it needs improvement in stability, performance, and quality.
            EK
            Engineer with 5,001-10,000 employees
            The automation of redundant tasks and implementation of ServiceNow are advantages for us

What is our primary use case?

We use it to automate redundant tasks. We're limited to two guys, so automation is beneficial and we'll probably implement it with ServiceNow, down the road.

• "The automation of the redundant tasks and the implementation of ServiceNow are huge for us..."

What other advice do I have?

Understand your business processes before working with it. That's what we're doing right now: getting a better grasp of our business processes and how the lifecycle of these VMs work, so we can better utilize vRealize Automation. I rate it at eight out of ten because of its intuitiveness, its ease of use, and the features that it will bring to us - a two-man team - will be like having a couple of extra guys on hand. And that's really great. I know PowerCLI is there and we can always script it out. But automation is really a powerful tool that we're looking forward to using, that will make it a…
              GN
              Architect at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
              Enables us to offer our customers a complete virtualization solution, at all levels

What is our primary use case?

We are looking at doing automation at the enterprise-class level.

What other advice do I have?

If your requirements are on par with what VMware is providing, we would recommend it. I would rate VMware solutions, overall, at eight out of ten. Whenever we talk about VMWare, people only think about the hypervisors, virtualization. But it's not only about the virtualization at the compute level, it's also at the storage level, at the network level, at all levels. It's about a complete solution. It creates an abstract layer on top of all these things.
              BM
              Computer Repairman with 5,001-10,000 employees
              Enables server virtualization within our environment and grows with our needs

What is our primary use case?

We use it for server virtualization.

What is most valuable?

It's scalable. As the needs of the university grow, it's growing with us.

What needs improvement?

There is room for improvement but, hopefully, everything is being been addressed already. For example, integrations. VMware is going crazy with M&A and integrations take time, so I can't complain.

More than five years.

It's a stable product.

I'm very happy to see the partnership with AWS.

Technical support is fantastic. They're responsive with tickets.

Which solution did I use

LH
              Sr Virtualization Engineer at a healthcare company with 1,001-5,000 employees
              Enables us to flex up or flex down the environment quickly; makes our DevOps processes more consistent

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use cases are around deployments supporting DevOps, around service provisioning of IP addresses, DNS; self-service entitlement or enablement. And then, driving some workflow processes from our service marketplace, through automation, to actually have them execute within the infrastructure. It's performing pretty well.

• "The most valuable feature is the consistency it delivers, at the end of the day. We know that we have consistent images based off consistent Blueprints, check-pointed or QA'ed in a consistent manner."
              • "With the advent of the automation, we've been able to give DevOps the ability to spin up environments, give them lease times, and then have it automatically reclaim the environment."
              • "It is not super-intuitive. It does require some skills to understand how to use it. I had no problem, but I had spent a lot of time already learning this product ahead of moving it to an operational status. But as we did so, we had a hard time bringing some people from other groups into the fold, to script and work against this environment. So, the ability to build workflows within that automation needs to be streamlined."
              • "In terms of additional features, I would like it to be able to poll my vCenter infrastructure more rapidly and adapt to changes quickly. It should alert me and let me know when there are broken components, as a result of underlying infrastructure changes. It needs to be more stringent."

What other advice do I have?

I would definitely recommend vRealize Automation. One thing that we've had to realize about this product is, it's dependent on some back-work that you do inside your vSphere environment to prepare for it: things like tags, things like folders, things like naming conventions. We've discovered that these are very important when you're attempting to roll out this product because you already have an established vCenter environment. For instance, in our case, where we had multiple data centers, we may have had different implementation times and perhaps may not have had the same standards around…
              VB
              Network Lead at a tech company with 10,001+ employees
              We are able to provide self-service to all of our IT and development teams to expand and decrease their environments at will

What is our primary use case?

The primary use case is that it fronts VirtualCenter for our entire development environment. The current version performs well.

• "We are able to provide self-service to all of our IT/development teams to expand and decrease their environments at will."
              • "value; It has provided my development team a pure self-service portal. We deploy thousands of machines and reclaim. So, their time to business, and their time to market has been improved exponentially."
              • "The initial setup was not straightforward. It was not simple, and we had a PoC. We had VMware help us deploy it, and it took them an exorbitant amount of time."

What other advice do I have?

The solution is intuitive to the end-user, absolutely. I've created a web portal, through vRA, in which users' specific requirements are built-in. Now, to develop that was not overly fun, but, overall, it is good. I give it an eight out of ten because it has provided my development team a pure self-service portal. We deploy thousands of machines and reclaim. So, their time to business and their time to market has been improved exponentially.
              ND
              Virtualization Engineer at a financial services firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
              Historical data enable us to see trends and where contention may exist in the future

What is our primary use case?

We use it for deploying, data recovery, and DR.

• "The most valuable features are the metrics and reporting aspects. The historical data and extraction enable us to tell where the trends are and where contentions may exist in the future."
              • "It would be nice if, at the director level, the manager level, there was a pretty graphic. They don't like to see numbers and line items, they want to see graphs and scales and real world pictures. That would support better reporting."

What other advice do I have?

Give it time to save you time.
              TG
              Systems Engineer with 10,001+ employees
              Automation of VM creation reduces the work involved and results in less human error

What is our primary use case?

We use it to automate workloads and it works well. The performance is as advertised.

• "It is not intuitive or user-friendly. It's complicated as heck. We actually hired VMware Professional Services to come in. I understand the newer version, which we're not quite on yet, is easier and that the interface is better. But the product is really a profession unto itself. The user interface could be improved on."

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend vRealize Automation. If you don't already have experience in it, you're probably going to hire a partner to help deploy it and make it tie into your environment. Make sure the third-party stuff works with it, make sure the APIs are open. We use it to automate. During the provisioning process, we use it to talk to the Infoblox with the DNS stuff and the IP provisioning, and to talk to our Veeam too. Just make sure that the rest of your stuff is going to work with it. I rate it a nine out of ten. To get it to a ten they should make it easier to use and to understand what it's…
                Technical Manager at Gilead Sciences, Inc.
                Significantly reduces the staff required to manage our environment

What is our primary use case?

We use vRealize Automation for monitoring and for some administration tasks. Anytime we do upgrades or patching, we just read the reports and it makes our lives easier.

• "Today, if I want to provision one VM, it takes me five minutes. Earlier, it would take a minimum of 30 minutes to go and choose everything. Now, I can just do one click and it can provision my whole VM. We also integrated with our Alexa, so even through voice functionality, I can create a VM. One of the guys at VMware, along with our partner, deployed that in our environment. If I say, "Hey, Alexa, I need a VM with four gigs of RAM," it will go and start creating it."
                • "The most valuable feature is, instead of doing the VMotion manually, we have automated everything with a script, using vRealize. That means I don't need to think about things like compatibility. The system will do everything for me and just give me a report."
                • "usability; It's very user-friendly. It is not hard to go and find things. There is a one-click Help that you can use to find all the documentation you need to manage it."
                • "compare-to-competition; Citrix was on our short list. But over the last ten years, we have been a big VMware shop. We wanted to continue with VMware because we are confident that VMware can address any kind of problem situation, any challenges. But with Citrix, we didn't find that kind of credibility when we did solution testing, a PoC."

What other advice do I have?

I rate VMware a nine out of ten. To get to a ten there are a few areas they could improve, especially vSAN. Performance-wise, there are no challenges, but from a product perspective, it is not that flexible. What we have in vSphere today is very flexible, but vSAN is not.
                  MU
                  IT Solutions Architect at a financial services firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
                  Enables us to pre-install the applications users have selected, when we deploy VMs

What is our primary use case?

We use it to deploy virtual machines in our traditional VMware environment. We don't use it as a front-end for our customers but it works fine for us, on the back-end.

• "We also use it to pre-install the applications that the people selected when they ordered the machine, so they get a fully functional machine."
                  • "In terms of usability, It has had its challenges. It requires a lot of custom code to integrate into our environment. It can take a little while to get it to do what we want, takes some code instead of having built-in functionality. Part it is how we use it. It would be a lot easier to use in a greenfield scenario versus brownfield, which is the way we using it."
                  • "I would also like to see them streamline the install. It's split between Windows and Linux appliances, and it would be easier if it was all appliances. I think they're going that way."

What other advice do I have?

Right now, it works for what we use it for. We're not using all its features, but the pieces that we use work fine.
                  SS
                  Senior Systems Admin at a retailer with 1,001-5,000 employees
                  One interface to control multiple environments makes it easier to monitor and manage

What is our primary use case?

We use vRealize Automation not only to track the utilization of the environment but to deploy new VMs on a regular basis. When DevOps decide they need a whole bunch of VMs spun up for a new version of an application we are already running, we can duplicate everything we've already got, spin them all up, get them running. When they're done with whatever test case they have going on, we can either move them over to staging or we can completely wipe out the entire environment, and that's a lot easier to monitor and manage.

• "Scalability is probably the best part about it. You can take things that you've already defined, that you've already built once, and build them again multiple times, without significant effort."
                  • "The stability is 95 percent. There are some situations where it gets a little bit clumsy. When it gets really big, when you're dealing with a very large deployment, it can be a little bit difficult, but it's better than nothing. It does a significant job, given what it's tasked to do."

What other advice do I have?

I give the solution a nine out of ten. Again, that's probably our own being behind. It's entirely possible the newest version is a ten. It's the whole extension, further into more modern technology, but we're not on the newest version at the moment. So it's probably already there and we don't see it yet. We're trying to get everything pulled together between our company and several other companies, to be on the same version. We're in the process of upgrading to the 6.5 and then, hopefully, very soon to 6.7.
                  Systems Engineer at a insurance company with 1,001-5,000 employees
                  The portal allows us to assign permissions enabling users to request and provision catalog items themselves

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case is to automate the end-user request for either a VDI or a server virtual machine. It has taken some time to implement vRA. Over the different versions, we had a lot of problems doing some upgrades, but as of right now, it's working really well.

• "We have integrated our CICD pipeline into an automatic catalog request through some API calls. It can request and provision new virtual machines behind the NSX load balancer, straight out of the CIDC pipeline and add those nodes to the load balancer, request SSL certs, do SSL termination at the load balancer so that it's not encrypted behind the scenes, all of which has really been helpful."
                  • "The most valuable feature is the portal where you can assign permissions to specific people to request specific items in the catalog and allow them to provision things for themselves. Or it enables them to request different services that you can create through vRO and vRA."
                  • "We've seen that typically, the people who are provisioning VDIs and server VMs can now utilize most of their time towards other projects and moving the environment forward, instead of just hammering out virtual machines all day."
                  • "Stability has gotten a lot better. However, the vRO aspect, when you have a multi vRA head, is a little bit finicky still. vRO still needs to stay on one appliance and be one application, because, when you have two, you can't see runs on the other one that are happening when you're not logged into that one."

What other advice do I have?

Use it, but be ready to invest a lot of time, man-hours, into building it out in the way that you want to use it. It can do a lot of things, and that's one of the problems - that it can do a lot of things. So you have to know what you want it to do before it'll do what you want it to. In terms of it being intuitive and user-friendly, from an end-user perspective, I believe it is. From the administration and development side, it's a little bit complex. It takes a little bit of time to understand how everything works behind the scenes of vRA and vRO, but once you start learning it, it's kind of…
                  TR
                  Solutions Architect at a comms service provider with 10,001+ employees
                  We are able to deliver a unified, three-tier app in a fraction of the time

What is our primary use case?

It is used to deploy and manage unified configs in an engineering environment. It has performed pretty well.

• "We had a lot of config drift before, and this really helps us keep it on track. Speed to provision is probably our biggest, significant gain."
                  • "Valuable features include integration with Infoblox, for IP management; and three-tier app deployment as one unified Blueprint."
                  • "Our time to deliver a fully unified three-tier app, at the right version, is one-twentieth what it was before. There is no manual intervention. No IP management. It just dramatically simplifies all of our processes."

What other advice do I have?

My advice would be, use it with NSX and with Infoblox. I give it an eight out of ten, mostly due to the learning curve to catch up to where you need to be. Some third-party integration, that would still be nice to see.
                    AO
                    Technical Project Manager at Bilgibim
                    VM creation time was reduced from many days to less than an hour

What is our primary use case?

My customer is the largest in Turkey, a university. The university has more than 48 servers in its data center, and they ask for between at least five to ten virtual machines daily. They were looking for a solution that automates VM creation, especially for SQL sites, because they have a very large SQL Server requirement, especially for project management. They are looking for an HPC solution. We performed a PoC at the customer's site using vRealize Automation. After that, they bought it for all their sockets, approximately 100 sockets.

• "Now the customer can manage their own server requirements directly. This is very important because, before that, the process included signing off on forms and sending them to the IT Director. It took at least 10 days to create a VM and send it to the person who needed it. Now, it's no more than a half hour to activate a new VM at the customer's site."
                    • "Another valuable feature is the flexible user interface. They can manage all of the servers, the full lifecycle of VMs, on one screen."

What other advice do I have?

Buy the solution. There is no problem. For the last three years, our customer hasn't had any problem. With vRA, the customer saves time.
                      Systems Administrator at a manufacturing company with 1,001-5,000 employees
                      Helps us push server provision automation, saving us significant time

What is our primary use case?

We use it to push out automation for all of our servers, not only to developers who are requesting what we call "cattle" - they want hundreds of servers to be able to test - but also to start getting away from the "onesie, twosie" builds, to save us more time on deploying so we can work on other projects.

• "To manage when VM's aren't being used, we have it set up so that it will auto-destroy them after a certain amount of time, obviously with permission from the user who owns it."
                      • "value; It does a lot of things automatically that would take our group, when we're already strapped for time, a lot of time to go through and clean stuff out of databases and the like."
                      • "I want to see HTML5. I want to get rid of JavaScript... we have a lot of issues with Java crashing when we're using vCenter. I obviously don't want that to happen with the vRealize Automation and Orchestrator side."

What other advice do I have?

Absolutely go for it. I believe in it. I've seen and I've heard companies talk about how valuable it is. My only suggestion is, if you're strapped for time, get a consultant or some third-party or VMware Support to help you with the deployment. There are a lot of "gotchas" in there that we didn't know about and I'm glad we did go with a consulting company. I give it a nine out of ten. I never really like giving something 100 percent because there's always room for improvement. I feel that it's a very solid system but there are little tweaks in there that could be done better. For example, HTML…
                      KB
                      Senior Associate at a consultancy with 10,001+ employees
                      Helps eliminate the need for our engineers to be involved in provisioning resources across multiple cloud platforms

What is our primary use case?

The primary use case is going to be managed services. We're a hosting provider and we're looking to provide provisionable resources across multiple cloud platforms and to be able to support Day 2 Operations. We're trying to fully manage the lifecycle process as well as fully integrate with all of our management end-points, whether it would be inventory, ITSM, or backups, etc.

• "I personally spend a lot of time in vRealize Orchestrator, so being able to directly tie into the back end on the APIs, I find that to be what really is the most advantageous thing for me."
                      • "The solution is intuitive, but not necessarily user-friendly. In particular, it's the documentation. It's a lot of going-through-the-weeds types of scenarios. There is just an abundance of information, so it's a matter of understanding how the objects or the relationships exist, and then, obviously, being able to access that information and knowing how to make use of it."
                      • "There is certainly room for improvement with some of the little things I was talking about, like either better managing of the upgrade process, or just making the infrastructure deployment a little bit easier. It feels like all of the pieces have been automated on one level or another, like with the PowerShell scripts, doing all the IS, Windows boxes preparation. They just need to get it to be more end-to-end."

What other advice do I have?

Do your research beforehand, because the architecture itself can get you tripped up if you don't properly align your certificates. You definitely have to have an idea of where you want to end up. There is certainly room for improvement with some of the little things I was talking about, like either better managing of the upgrade process, or just making the infrastructure deployment a little bit easier. It feels like all of the pieces have been automated on one level or another, like with the PowerShell scripts, doing all the IS, Windows boxes preparation. They just need to get it to be more…
                      RT
                      Virtualization Engineer at a financial services firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
                      The automation, the alarms when there are issues, help keep the lights green

What is our primary use case?

We use it to monitor our production VMware infrastructure. We use it to watch for things like resource contention and to automate around mostly similar needs.

• "The benefits are that it gives you a heads-up display and dashboard of the way everything's running. The ability to automate around those tasks is really where we get the value."
                      • "It's also absolutely easy and intuitive. It uses the same basic layout as the rest of the product suite so it's really easy to navigate, find your way around between the tabs and the areas."
                      • "I think they could probably do more if they created more actions and more use cases to automate things."

What other advice do I have?

My advice is "do it." Functionality really is the most important criterion when selecting a vendor. If I can purchase a product or a service that is going to check all the boxes, that's more important to me than price, personally. The company signs the checks though, so they might see it differently.
                      CN
                      Director of Infrastructure at a retailer with 1,001-5,000 employees
                      The blueprint functionality of the product is intuitive and user-friendly

What is our primary use case?

Automating the data center.

• "The blueprint functionality of the product is intuitive and user-friendly. The concept of the blueprints is visual and easy to use."
                      • "We have faster delivery times through its automation."
                      • "I would like to see support for Google Cloud and Azure. Because they don't support Google and Azure today, we need something that's cohesive with our entire landscape. There is a gap right now with VMware. If you want support for these environments, you have to go elsewhere right now."
                      • "The basic support is not there for Google Cloud and Azure. They are unable to provision nor do cost controls. Google is still left out. It is great that they have done AWS, but we are a retailer which means nothing to us because it is a competitor. Azure is good, but Google is where a lot of our development environments are."

What other advice do I have?

We moved to the solution because it is pushing the agility of IT. The upgrade process was fine.
                      DW
                      IT Manager at a healthcare company with 10,001+ employees
                      Upgrades have been simple because of their Lifecycle Manager product

• "Upgrades have been extremely simple with their Lifecycle Manager product."
                      • "It has saved us a lot of time and work. It helped us to reorganize some of our service lines, so we could be more efficient. For example, on our open system server team, we had 15 people building servers, now we have two."
                      • "It has a learning curve."

What other advice do I have?

Talk to a lot of different companies and people that have done it. Find out what not to do and what to do. It will make your journey easier. We are working on a lot of the digital transformation right now. We are working more on the Pivotal Container Service (PKS) product, and a lot of integrations that they're doing with the performance monitoring, the metrics, and KPIs. This is very important to us. Most important criteria when selecting a vendor: * Transparency: Be very open with us. * Be very knowledgeable about their products, so that we don't have to go through three or four different…
                      IT Director at a tech vendor with 201-500 employees
                      Giving our developers the ability to provision has enabled them to put up environments faster

What is our primary use case?

As a software development company with a smaller staff, we've got a lot of technical people - the operations team and myself. Being able to give provisioning of environments over to our developers and the different teams has enabled them to put up environments faster and also freed up time for the IT team. This is really one of our bread and butter solutions for our developers.

• "Being able to give provisioning of environments over to our developers and the different teams has enabled them to put up environments faster and also freed up time for the IT team. This is really one of our bread and butter solutions for our developers."
                      • "We've just shifted to an Agile development so there has absolutely been an improvement in speed to market. We now have consistent release plans because we have these environments as ready as they are."
                      • "The most valuable features for us are capacity planning as well as environment life management; putting in specific templates and workflows that we know are secure. That solidifies the environments that we're in or that are being provisioned. We also know that every environment being provisioned has a lifespan. It affects capacity, so it's great for budgeting, from my perspective, and good for my team."

What other advice do I have?

For a specific business, you need to know what you're trying to do. For ours, it's a match that I wish we would have had immediately. It has paid dividends. I give vRA a nine out of 10. Sure, there's room for improvement. I don't know all of those areas, I'd let my more technical people speak on that. For us, this has been one of those solutions where ownerships loves it, appreciates it, sees the difference.
                        EM
                        Systems Engineer at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employees
                        Self-service enables end-users to deploy their own machines with minimal training

What is our primary use case?

We are using it for developers to test code. Our Customer Care uses it to troubleshoot customer issues. We also have a training business unit and they deploy classes for customer training. We've been using it for four years now. It performs well. It does the functions we need. We do have some issues from time to time. I wish there was a little bit of more maturity out of the product, but it is getting better with every release.

• "It has definitely increased speed of VM deployment. When a normal server-request would come in, it might take anywhere from three to four days to deploy. Now, within 15 minutes, they can click and have something up and running."
                        • "The IT support for developers is nice as well because they are able to manage the environment themselves."
                        • "We have it deployed in a highly-available environment and scalability is nice because we just had another ESX host and then we are able to increase the capacity."
                        • "Something as simple as formatting the catalog in a different way would be helpful because there is no option for doing so. A lot of the contents for the virtual machine, blueprints that you can request, are hidden from view and there's no way to change the view."
                        • "It does go down from time to time. We have some issues with the appliances sometimes and we have to do reboots in the middle of the day. That affects the ability for them to deploy."

What other advice do I have?

It's a good solution. The deployment can be complex so I would recommend engaging professional services for setting up a proof of content environment to evaluate it. I rate vRA at eight out of 10 because of issues with the stability of the appliances. But other than that, it's a pretty solid product. It does exactly what we need it to do and we are happy with it.
                        AN
                        Systems Administrator at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
                        Helps to automate the building of our VMs, significantly decreases provisioning time

What is our primary use case?

Primary use case is for automatic deployment of VMware guests. It's performing as we want. We're not really asking anything too complex of it, but it does what we ask of it.

• "Our speed of provisioning has improved. We used to build systems manually, which would take four hours or a day. Nowadays we're able to spin something up off a template... and it takes about 20 minutes."

What other advice do I have?

vRA has a very nice toolset for being able to integrate with VMware. It is great for being able to automate things within the VMware environment. We probably need to learn more about it, so we can fully realize its use, what the plugins for other things are. But it's doing everything that we need for now. We've seen that it has room to grow with us.
                          Technical Architect at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employees
                          Provides a single pane of glass for our cloud tenants to deploy, monitor, access, and manage their VMs/guest operating systems

What is our primary use case?

The primary use case for deployment of vRealize Automation was to facilitate a service provider web portal front-end to our Hosted Private Cloud and Business Continuity solution. This is a fully automated virtualized SDDC, using VMware as the base hypervisor. We also incorporate NSX for network automation, vCenter Orchestrator for workflow execution, and additional software packages to support the service as a whole (vROps, Log Insight, Network Insight, NSX Manager, etc.). Our core networking is made up of a spine/leaf architecture using Cisco ACI/APIC and our storage is virtualized behind a… more »

• "We needed vRA to easily integrate with our hypervisor, orchestration, security (tenant segmentation, PCI), workflows, custom code, and internal monitoring/management tools. Since we didn’t have time to develop our own web front-end during the development sprints, vRA saved considerable time and resource cycles. Its ability to easily integrate with all of the VMware cloud products as well as public cloud providers, like AWS and Azure, out-of-the-box, makes it an even more powerful tool."
                          • "It provides velocity both from management and customer perspectives, from ingesting new catalog items, developing new workflows for additional features, and/or allowing customer access to multiple guest OS instances at scale in a shorter time frame."
                          • "vRA provides that single pane of glass for our cloud tenants to deploy, monitor, access, and manage their VMs/guest operating systems."
                          • "The most valuable feature is vRA’s ability to integrate whether with additional VMware vRealize suites or other vendors' cloud products."

What other advice do I have?

From experience working with other service provider cloud products, VMware vRealize Automation Center is the best out-of-the-box solution to quickly build out your cloud portal and fully integrate it into your orchestration layers, as well as your compute and storage infrastructures. It can support multiple public clouds as well as hypervisors, providing that single pane of glass for management, operations, and reporting. I would give it a nine out of 10 as there is always room for improvement, since cloud is always evolving.
                            KP
                            Principal Engineer at T-Mobile
                            We can tell customers, “Here's your server, it's already provisioned and ready for your app."

What is our primary use case?

We are using it to offer self-service capabilities to our customers, a self-service portal.

• "They should make it a little bit more dynamic, a little bit easier to deal with large-scale AD deployments. They need to make it a little more enterprise-ready. That is the one thing that kills us."
                              • "vRO can get out of sync with vRA. We've run into every once in a while."

What other advice do I have?

Make sure you think out the entirety of your deployment because it's hard to change components after the fact. Make sure that the initial deployment is good. We got that from VMware. They were very good at understanding the size of the environment and they tried to scale it for that environment. I would rate this solution at about eight out of 10. It has been good but, as I said, there are some faults. Overall, it has performed phenomenally and the support behind it has made it absolutely useful.
                              KM
                              DevOps Engineer at a pharma/biotech company with 5,001-10,000 employees

What is our primary use case?

The primary use case is to deploy an automated self-service portal for virtual machines for testers and developers to use. It is performing well.

• "The self service portal: People don't have to come to us to request something. They can just go fill out a form. Within 30 minutes, they have what they requested."
                              • "It benefits the speed of our development, and the speed of anything we test and send through to production."
                              • "I would like them to improve the product training."
                              • "The upgrade process 6.x to 7.3 was a significant effort. I'm hoping that 7.3 to the next version is much smoother."

What other advice do I have?

Find out what the requirements are and what do you want do with it, then see if it fits. If you're looking to deploy virtual machines through a self-service portal, this product works well. Most important criteria when selecting a vendor: It meets our requirements.
                              DB
                              IT Director at a healthcare company with 10,001+ employees
                              Allows my teams to create, manage, and retire all of our data center's infrastructure objects

What is our primary use case?

For us, it's a software-defined data center, automating compute, network security, and storage; all the infrastructure components.

• "One of the most valuable features is lifecycle management. It allows my teams to create, manage, and retire all of our infrastructure objects in the data center."
                              • "One of the features that's a struggle today is some of the public cloud extensibility. Some of the plugins that are native to vRA and vRO, I'd like to see them come out earlier for vRO. I understand that in vRA, the plugins are a little bit more polished because the VRA is the GUI. But we'd like to see them released earlier in vRO, prior to a GUI being released. Azure, for example, is a public cloud provider but we have some instability issues with the plugin in vRO. It's okay for us if we separate the vRA from vRO plugin releases. So I'd like to see some increased stability in some of those public cloud plugins."
                              • "Technical support could be improved. I definitely feel that the product is accelerating faster than the support engineers are able to keep up with the knowledge needed to know what's going on. The developers maintaining vRealize Automation are doing a great job improving it, but VMware is not doing a great job of training the people who we call to get support for it."

What other advice do I have?

My advice would be to heavily invest in training in vRO. vRO is the backbone of what vRA does. I also recommend that you come up with a plan. Don't try to automate everything in the first step. Find the good use case and make sure you offer new value to the customers that you're building it for, prior to just replacing what they have with something new. IT admins commonly don't like to have their interface changed so dramatically. When looking for an IT vendor that would integrate in the data center, I look for an extensible API. It's very helpful when that vendor gives me the ability to…
                              RC
                              Solution Architect at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
                              We can deploy blueprints which are easier on day-to-day operations

What is our primary use case?

We use it for the deployment of new environments and multiple stacks, as well as deployment inside of NSX. It is also used for easy application deployment and container management.

• "The repetitive tasks which took provisioning storage, network, and compute two to three weeks, now takes five minutes."
                              • "Instead of only deploying templates, we can deploy blueprints which are easier on day-to-day operations."
                              • "VMware should go the way of vROps, with everything in one machine, the ability to scale out, and a more distributed environment instead of having the usual centralized SQL database."

What other advice do I have?

While it's user-friendly use, you need to know what you are doing with it. Get your requirements beforehand. Make sure of the services that you want to provide and have them nailed out. If you are just writing VMs, then you don't need vRA. If you are providing services, you're going to become a broker of services to people, so you have to plan ahead. Also plan the workloads that you're going to be providing because they will consume a lot.
                              JT
                              Customer Apps Manager at TSTT
                              With the automation, we are able to provision a VM with the click of a button

What is our primary use case?

The primary use is to automate the provisioning of applications that my organization uses as well as sells to customers.

• "Among the valuable features are the ease and speed of creating the VMs. Originally, we provisioned them manually and it would take us two days to do the provisioning... but with the automation, we are able to provision a VM with the click of a button, within seconds. It cut down on the time as well as cut down on the expense and employee cost in provisioning."
                              • "It is also intuitive and user-friendly... With vRealize, we can have a Help Desk individual, who might not be that techy, provision the different elements quite easily, with no almost training at all."
                              • "I would like to see a simpler way of provisioning it. As is, we can automate the provisioning of a VM, however, when it comes to the external IPs, that is outside of VMware. But that has to be automated as well. If there was a way for us to have the virtual machines connect to switches that are external to VMware, that would be great. That way, it would handle the entire workflow from creation and provisioning of a VM to the connectivity to the external IP addresses which allow our customers to have access to the VM. Currently, that IP configuration has to be done manually."

What other advice do I have?

VMware is great. We have multiple criteria when selecting a vendor. But in general, we look at * support * experience * cost. I rate this solution at eight out of 10 because of the high level of functionality that it has. Why not a 10? Because there are some things that we wish we could have in the application, which the solution will have at some point, from what I'm seeing, but at the present, they're not there.
                              Chief Architect at Ens inc
                              The setup is getting better with each version

What is our primary use case?

* We use it for our own private hosting. * We do services for departments within the State of California. * We have a large agency where we design and deploy an automation solution around vRealize Automation.

• "If you do a deployment for a proof of concept, it is simple."
                              • "The setup is getting better with each version."
                              • "When you start to do a deployment where you need higher availability and more resiliency, then the complexity goes up drastically."
                              • "I would like to see more out-of-the-box blueprints and workflows for the rest of VMware's products and its portfolio."

What other advice do I have?

Be particular about requirements and what your goals are with the customer. There is a lot more to this product than doing a deployment, so make sure you understand the use cases.
                              JJ
                              IT Manager at a individual & family service with 10,001+ employees
                              We're able to support developers, giving them the box they need within minutes

What is our primary use case?

It's our private cloud platform.

• "Even with the virtualization, it would take us at least three or four days to create a VM. With vRA we have brought that down to seven minutes. The solution has helped increase infrastructure, agility, speed of provisioning, time to market, application agility. Everything got super fast."

What other advice do I have?

Start with VMware vRA. Other solutions haven't been in the game long enough. You're going to have a lot of custom-scripting that VMware already puts in there. I rate it an eight out of 10 only because I wish we had a way to get through the technical support department faster. We've been with them long enough - and I've already talked to the sales guy about this - that they should almost have an "express lane." You lose two or three days going through the normal process. It goes to level-one and he bounces it to level-two, to level-three, when pretty much, because we've got this long history…
                                Linear Dimensions, Consultant at a government with 10,001+ employees
                                Significantly decreases the time to market for our customers

What is our primary use case?

We use vRealize Automation for all of our court locations and the customers are able to, on any day of the week, 24/7, provision VMs at will and maintain them.

• "The most valuable features are that it's multi-tenant and the ability for scale."
                                • "Our customers don't have to manage HVAC and space and cooling and all of those things that they used to have to do. Today, all they have to do is provision a server and manage their users."
                                • "I would like to see more integration to do things like DR, from a court perspective. Today, for us, SRM doesn't scale because each of our customers has a local vCenter environment as well as the vCenter in our environment. So we can't get SRM to scale to the point to which we need. From an integration perspective, DR inside of that would be good."
                                • "I know you can spin up virtual desktops in vRA, but they're not thin-provisioned. I don't know if that's because the other product, Horizon View, is there, but it would be nice to see more integration."

What other advice do I have?

vRA is great. If you're looking for a multi-tenanted solution that is very easy, from a customer perspective, to use, and make it seamless for the customer to actually get what they're looking for, i.e. a server, developers love this. For the customer, from the time to market and ease of use perspectives, you can't go wrong with vRA. It's that good. I would rate it at about nine out of 10. If they would integrate DR, that would bring it to a 10.
                                DL
                                Principal Architect at a tech consulting company with 51-200 employees
                                It can predict to move workloads before hardware failures

What other advice do I have?

VMware is the pioneer of virtualization. They are way ahead of everybody else. Some of the other products have caught up, which has been fantastic because it has driven innovation. It is forcing the industry to evolve more quickly, innovate, and come up with better solutions. It is a very popular product. You have to do is you have to have a good understanding it. You can't just jump into it, especially half in. You have to understand what you are trying to solve. Have a good understanding of what you are trying to set up, like a defined solution.
                                Senior Systems Admin at a consultancy with self employed
                                Video Review
                                It has the ability to deploy heavy workloads quickly

What is most valuable?

Automation Ability to deploy heavy workloads quickly Ease of use and the flexibility

What needs improvement?

Ability to mimic more VCD functionality. Ability to share blueprints among tenants, or have a master blueprint repository, so you don't have to move the stuff between tenants. That's probably the number one feature. Improve functionality that we're looking for longterm.

It is very stable. It works well. It is easy to use once it's deployed, and is also easy to deploy.

We're starting small, but we see the ability to scale quickly and easily.

It's very good. I noticed with vRA, they are…
                                Engineer at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
                                Video Review
                                Needs more stability and is fairly complex, but scales

What is most valuable?

Automation Catalog Blueprints

What needs improvement?

Probably more stability and just ensuring everything works out-of-the-box. There is still a bit of a gap in terms of product maturity based on all the forums and things that we've seen, so we would like it to be much more mature than what we currently have.

There's some issues that we've encountered while standing it up.

As of now, it seems like it does scale. However, we haven't hit the point where we are deploying in a large scale.

So far, we haven't had too many issues reaching out to tech support.

Software Engineer at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
                                Video Review
                                Easy to use, just drag and drop VMs into Blueprint Composer, but needs Horizon and better NSX integration

What other advice do I have?

I give it a six out of 10 because we still haven't met what we intended it for. It works very well just spinning up VMs, creating blueprints, for doing some of the basic stuff. But doing some of the more advanced stuff, it still needs a little bit more work.
                                EVS Engineer 3 at Cabela's
                                Video Review
                                We're able to script things for monitoring, for patching - it's saved us a lot of late nights

What other advice do I have?

It's a great product. It saves us a lot of time. It cut down a lot of late nights for us.
                                IT Manager at a tech company with 10,001+ employees
                                Video Review
                                Provides a lot of flexibility and enables us to automate our VM provisioning processes

What other advice do I have?

It's one of the cool tools in the industry. Go get VMware.
                                Enterprise Architect at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
                                Video Review
                                Offers agility, flexibility, and scalability, helping us to serve our end customers

What other advice do I have?

The most important criteria when selecting a vendor include: * What is it really offering, for us as a customer, and for our end customers? * How much flexible they have in understanding our needs and accommodating those needs. * Support: How much support are they ready to offer, what are their capabilities in terms of getting us live, through the product lifecycle, and then helping us manage that product as we move along? I think vRA stands at the top of the list of the products that we rate, because of the problems that it has helped us to solve, in terms of providing the services to our end…
                                Lead Engineer at SynchroNet
                                Video Review
                                Has reduced a months-long process down to a matter of hours for us, yet naming scheme needs more flexibility

What other advice do I have?

It has a long way to go still but, for what it does, it does well and it helps enable you. Even if there are a lot of problems with the product itself that still need to be fixed, I don't think that they outweigh the actual business value that you'll get by having the product if you do a lot of deployments or if you need to provide access to developers. There's a whole myriad of cases that you could be using it for. If it falls within one of those cases, it can be extremely helpful.
                                Senior Engineer at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
                                ​Self-service and automation reduce the amount of time to build a virtual machine and related costs

What other advice do I have?

The most important criteria when looking at various vendors are reliability, their position within the industry, and the ability to get references from existing customers. Do a lot of planning upfront because some of the choices you make, when you initially deploy, you'll have to live with in the end. Sizing is the main one. I would suggest hiring a PSO.
                                Enterprise Infrastructure Manager at a mining and metals company with 10,001+ employees
                                It is our service catalog for our hybrid cloud.

What other advice do I have?

Do it and do it quickly. It depends on what your app stack is and whether your cloud-native or not. However, if you have a monolithic stack like Oracle and the traditional data center apps, it's the way to go. But, if you are cloud centric and use a lot of web services, then it's probably not the right solution. You should form a team, be committed to it and expect to put in a lot of work/effort/time into it.
                                Infrastructure System Administrator at a consultancy with 1,001-5,000 employees
                                The flexibility to build different components for VMs is a valuable feature

What other advice do I have?

Advice for looking at VM solutions: Definitely research the product and see what's out there. Look at blog posts of vRA. There's quite a few resources that you can search and find on the web which will basically get you on the ground running for deployment, even simply XaaS forms. Most important criteria when selecting a vendor: * Support * The cost is always important. * The ability of their features to match with ours.
                                System Infrastructure Architect at a financial services firm with 10,001+ employees
                                Provides automation for my customers to have guard rails on what they can deploy

What other advice do I have?

Most important criteria when selecting a vendor: * Features * Stability * A community who know the product and can share information about it.
                                SH
                                Cloud Architect at Dyntek
                                MSP
                                Reduced provisioning time from weeks to an hour or less but stability has been an issue

What other advice do I have?

Really look at the competition that's come a long way. Cisco's product, ServiceNow's product, Red Hat even has a product that is competing and, depending on their workload type and their end point type, there are potentially better solutions. But if you are a fully integrated VMware environment, this is still the best option. Regarding implementation, you should have a very well documented process for your current provisioning. You should have documented all the types of workloads and blueprints you would potentially need based on user demand, not based on what the admins think. We made that…
                                Manager Of IT Operations Back End at a leisure / travel company with 1,001-5,000 employees
                                Improved our delivery and made it fast

What is most valuable?

For a few years, when we needed a server, it took us three months to deliver one. Now, we can bring one up in approximately 15 minutes.

How has it helped my organization?

Our delivery is now very fast.

It's very stable.

We're satisfied with the scalability of the solution.

They are very good. We have an account manager. We use the account manager, if necessary, and have with a relationship with them, so they can respond very quickly.

What other advice do I have?

If you are looking to implement the product, do it together with VMware. It was a good experience for us.
                                Lead Senior Infrastructure Engineer at a tech company with 1,001-5,000 employees
                                MSP
                                Don't have to waste resources for a prolonged period of time due to lifecycling out. Want to be able to see multiple domains.

What other advice do I have?

Really pay attention to how you design your blueprints and your workflows, because a lot of developers do not want to do that. They do not want to design their own blueprints and workflow operations. They want it to already have been done for them. Make sure you have a strong relationship with your DevOps team so you can get the most out of this product. Because if you are trying to do it single-handedly as an Operations Center without the go-between, it'll be a struggle to get Development onboard with this type of product. But once they do get on board with the product, they won't want to…
                                JM
                                Delivery Consultant at a tech services company with 501-1,000 employees
                                Its third-party ecosystem allows automation of almost every IT process

What other advice do I have?

For me, being a consultant, vendor selection isn't what matters. I want to use whatever is best for the customer. So whatever fits their business use case best is what I'm going to go with, what I'm going to recommend. vRA does most things really well. There are still some issues such that, if you are going to go 100% cloud, if you don't want anything on-premise, there are some other solutions that might have a leg up. Use vRA, but it's more about the process than it is about the product. You have to make sure that the users, who are going to be internal IT most of the time, that their…
                                Senior IT Engineer at a healthcare company with 10,001+ employees
                                We've been able to have users self-provision their own machines and get them into networks

What other advice do I have?

I think documentation and support are probably the most important things. If you don't care about documentation and support, you can grab a free one and try and build it. If you want someone who is going to be able to answer your questions, someone who's got the documentation already, so when you have a given error, they have it right on their webpage: "This is what this error means. Go do this." VMware's very good about that. Overall, VMware is very good. It's very stable, very extensible, but it does have a relatively high learning curve. So folks that don't have the resources to dedicate to…
                                Product Manager at a comms service provider with 10,001+ employees
                                Cuts out a lot of waste, unutilized hardware, and improves performance

What other advice do I have?

Go for the product, but make sure you have experienced folks on the platform that can help your admins to ramp up and go to market quickly. When selecting a vendor, make sure: * They have continuous support. * The performance of their platform will scale, even if you load up the system to a point. * The system actually will be able to dynamically detect flaws and prompt the admin to go fix the flaw.
                                Project Lead at a healthcare company with 10,001+ employees
                                It's self-service for creating your own virtual machine

What other advice do I have?

Most important criteria when selecting a vendor: * Look at the support they provide, the backing of their product, and so on. * Have a big company name, like VM, where they have stability. * Fitting the your needs - nobody wants a product that they are never gonna use. If you get a lot of virtual machine requests, this is the product to get.
                                Senior Network Server Analyst at a healthcare company with 10,001+ employees
                                An effective Resource Management tool with some performance lag issues

What other advice do I have?

Make sure, and this solution does this, it touches on everything you want to see in a solution in terms of CPU memory. This is such an all-encompassing solution. Someone that's willing to be a good partner with us. Someone who's responsive, and who when they set us up, or when we enter a partnership, they don't just disappear afterward.
                                Virtualization Engineer at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
                                Can scale out deployments, though cumbersome to set up

What other advice do I have?

They're the pioneers of virtualization. The vSphere stack and all their other products are integrated with our core stack, which is vSphere. That's really the big reason why we like all their other products.
                                Senior IT Specialist with 5,001-10,000 employees
                                Cut our server deployment times down, but have had stability issues with product's older version

What other advice do I have?

Make sure you deploy the latest version.
                                IT Architect at University of florida
                                There are a lot less tickets in the self-service customer portal, though upgrades have been an issue

What other advice do I have?

It's a product worth looking at.
                                Technical Architect at a tech services company with 201-500 employees
                                Enables deployment of Azure VMs directly, config management, and running of scripts

What other advice do I have?

From my experience, people think of a High Available, then they plan to deploy a distributed environment, but I don't see much value. Because if they've got a distributed environment, it gets complex and there are more issues and sometimes people run out of patience. So I advise: Go for a simple environment that does 99% of the workload, then, if needed, you can scale it.
                                Cloud Solutions Architect at a tech company with 10,001+ employees
                                MSP
                                You can use it at any of the layers of Cloud, like infrastructure or software

What other advice do I have?

It requires very limited time to set up an enterprise environment. There is a lot of inter-configuration required to ensure your environment is built properly.
                                Founder & CEO at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
                                Provides a common console to manage workloads on private and public cloud infrastructures

What other advice do I have?

Go for it. It's a perfect product of a heterogeneous environment.
                                Infrastructure Automation and Cloud Specialst at a government with 1,001-5,000 employees
                                Extensibility Allows For Add-ons And Customisation

What other advice do I have?

Probably the decision to run a private cloud, such as VMware, versus running things in someplace like the public cloud and it being AWS. The main thing is about the scale, and getting sufficient scale, it can be cost effective to run your own private cloud. Best to find the right algorithms, if not setting up the hardware themselves; but you probably do need to reach that multi-million pound scale to make that the right decision. Smaller players are probably better off thinking about comparing costs without a cloud provider, and maybe a less niche product. It's a good product. It's very…
                                Assigned Client Engineer at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
                                Reduced Our Deployment Time But Initial Setup Is Complex.

What other advice do I have?

vRA is very powerful, but you need to know what you're getting into. You really can do almost anything that you want using the product in conjunction with vRealize Orchestrator, but it requires a lot of knowledge and work.
                                Deployment Lead at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
                                MSP
                                Self-Service Portal Helps Our Customers Worldwide To Provision Machines.

What other advice do I have?

Read the knowledge base articles from VMware.
                                Senior System Analyst at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
                                Straightforward Setup And Fast Provisioning.

What other advice do I have?

Go for it.
                                Private Cloud Lead at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
                                MSP
                                Multi-Tenancy Enables Using A Single vRA Portal To Configure Multiple Tenants.

What other advice do I have?

This is one of VMware's best products for automation.
                                Sr. Systems Engineer at a pharma/biotech company with 10,001+ employees
                                I can build machines quickly and deploy them from a central location to whichever worldwide datacenter we need.

What other advice do I have?

It simplifies daily chores, so go get it.
                                Product Manager at a media company with 5,001-10,000 employees
                                Extending vRA with vCO to add custom service designs allowed us to eliminate blueprint sprawl. It lacks the expected seamless integration with vCenter.

What other advice do I have?

VMware’s vRealize Automation is a good product, made for large enterprises. From my experience, vRA requires a highly skilled team to maintain, version upgrades without downtime are not possible, and overall it doesn’t scale fast. Every change requires weeks of planning and testing to see how the product is going to respond. With the release of vRealize Automation 7, there is a deployment wizard that reduces the complexity of setup. Make sure you have very knowledgeable technical staff to operate this product on a daily basis. There are 15 roles that come with the product by default; it’s a…
                                Senior Systems Engineer at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employees
                                One of the valuable features is controlling VM standards. I would like to see more detailed documentation.

What other advice do I have?

Take as much training as you can before trying to deploy and use the product.
                                Sr Systems Engineer at a financial services firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
                                The ability to quickly setup self-provisioning was a primary drivers for us to use this product. More focus needs to be done on QA.

What other advice do I have?

Do your research ahead of time and try to find others in your area who have already deployed the product. Your VMware rep can usually provide contacts that may be able to provide advice. Additionally, start talking to internal developers at your company and see what pain points they have and how automation can help. This communication will also help when you start publishing catalog items in automation, because a lot of more advanced workflows will require knowledge of Javascript and PowerShell. Lastly, start working with Orchestrator now. It has the steepest learning curve, but it is critical…
                                Technical Lead at a tech services company with 5,001-10,000 employees
                                The orchestration capabilities are valuable.

What is most valuable?

Orchestration capabilities are the most valuable feature of this solution.

How has it helped my organization?

Provisioning time is reduced from two weeks to 60 minutes.

What needs improvement?

Better integration with the public cloud and DevOps toolset

I have used this solution for three years.

We did not encounter any major stability issues.

There were no scalability issues.

The technical support is very good; they have come a long way in supporting vRA. Now, issues are being resolved in hours.

The installation for vRA…
                                Lead Technical Architect at a tech services company with 201-500 employees
                                The Event Broker Subscription is one of the most valuable features. Communication between the Linux appliance and the Windows IaaS components should be faster and smoother.

What other advice do I have?

Use it for automation in order to achieve Agility, Efficiency and Control over the IT Service Delivery..
                                Senior Consultant at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
                                We can automate the infrastructure services. It can be used for IaaS and PaaS.

What other advice do I have?

As soon as I started using this tool, I started seeing results immediately. This product is flexible and easy to implement. Its multi-tenancy support makes it more effective for use with different customers.