MP
Trainer in information and communication technologies at a educational organization with 51-200 employees
Excellent automated performance and agility; good integration with deployment tools

• "Provides good performance as well as integration with deployment tools."
  • "Troubleshooting tools could be improved."

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case of this solution is for performance storage and management, we are a training center. I'm the information and communication technology trainer and we have a  partnership with VMware vSan.

How has it helped my organization?

The solution allows our technicians to deploy multiple lab environments for different classes at any time, without requiring any manual installation.

What is most valuable?

This solution has provided us with good performance, something we were looking for as well as integration with deployment tools. One of our main aims is to be able to deploy lab environments in an automated fashion and the product enables us to do that, providing more agility in regards to a virtual machine. We can respond to different needs, but every virtual machine will use the same storage.

What needs improvement?

I'd like to see improvement in the troubleshooting tools, specifically the troubleshooting mechanism. We like the product, but once in a while there are problems that require us to reboot the host to fix things, and that creates an impact on production.

For additional features, I'd like to see a better monitoring tool.

I've been using this solution for 14 years.

It's pretty stable most of the time, but you need to make sure your hardware is supported and is compatible.

Scalability of the solution is easy, you simply have a new host and provide a few contributions and then compute. We only have a few people using this product.

We don't use the technical support, we troubleshoot problems ourselves.

The initial setup is straightforward.

What other advice do I have?

Make sure your hardware is up to date and make sure you test beforehand. It's a good idea to try and combine the solution with some third party products, such as products for automation.

I would rate this solution an eight out of 10.

Michael Ogunlade
Head of enterprise systems at Fidelity Bank Plc
Can be used to virtualize SAN without having to have a separate storage area network

• "It's stable and scalable. Also, you can virtualize SAN so that you don't have to have a separate storage area network and can have your computer and storage on the same box or computer."
  • "Because of virtual storage, the system reaches reserve storage for its functions. It also consumes a certain amount of storage, which then results in the creation of a fault tolerance for the system. All of this adds to a lot of capacity being consumed in terms of storage for each drive for vSan. I find this to be one drawback of using vSan."

What is our primary use case?

We use it to virtualize SAN so that you don't have to have a separate storage area network and can have your computer and storage on the same box or computer.

What is most valuable?

It's stable and scalable.

Also, you can virtualize SAN so that you don't have to have a separate storage area network and can have your computer and storage on the same box or computer.

What needs improvement?

Because of virtual storage, the system reaches reserve storage for its functions. It also consumes a certain amount of storage, which then results in the creation of a fault tolerance for the system. All of this adds to a lot of capacity being consumed in terms of storage for each drive for vSan. I find this to be one drawback of using vSan.

The pricing for licensing could be cheaper.

I've been using this solution for about three years.

I find it to be a stable solution.

I think VMware vSAN is a scalable solution.

I was satisfied with the customer service and technical support I received.

The initial setup was straightforward and took less than two weeks.

We used a consultant for the installation project.

The licensing cost is high and should be taken into account.

What other advice do I have?

You need to pay attention to the calculation metrics in terms of sizing. Depending on your design, you need to be sure that you actually factor in enough storage capacity to be able to achieve whatever you want to achieve in terms of looking at your growth rate.

Overall, on a scale from one to ten, I would rate this product at eight.

Learn what your peers think about VMware vSAN. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: October 2021.
543,936 professionals have used our research since 2012.
MS
VMware Technician Manager at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
Easy to install, quick to deploy, and very stable

• "The installation is very easy."
  • "It would be ideal if clients didn't need to monitor the solution on a daily basis."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution for 95% of our hyper-converged infrastructure deployments.

What is most valuable?

The solution is very stable.

The installation is very easy. The deployment is fast and only takes, at a maximum, 2 days.

What needs improvement?

The scaling could be a bit better.

The monitoring capabilities could be improved. It would be ideal if clients didn't need to monitor the solution on a daily basis.

I've been using the solution for about five years at this point. It's been a while.

The solution is quite stable. There are no bugs or glitches. It doesn't crash or freeze. the performance has been good.

We do have plans to continue to work with the solution. However, we do not use the solution ourselves. We are integrators. Deployments and their sizes depend on the clients.

We have about 60 to 100 clients that use the solution.

The initial setup is not overly complex or difficult. It's very straightforward and very simple to set up.

It took us about two days to deploy the product.

We had about five people who handled the deployment.

We did not need the help of a consultant or integrator. We are integrators ourselves. We were able to handle everything in-house with our own team.

I can't speak to the licensing arrangements or specific costs of the product.

What other advice do I have?

We are integrators and a partner to the vendor.

We are working with the latest version of the solution at this time.

I'd rate the solution at an eight out of ten. Our clients are pretty happy with it overall.

I'd recommend it to other users and companies.

MR
AVP at a computer software company with 501-1,000 employees
Depending on your applications, it could be more cost-effective and easier to manage on HCI however you still need to compare it against traditional deployment case by case.,

• "Being able to deploy multiple applications with virtual servers is the most valuable for us. The capacity of the system is quite constant so it's got some of the good features."
  • "I think it needs to be more cost-effective. I would also say that even though the capacity is good, there is also room for improvement there. Also, they could improve the security of the system."

What is our primary use case?

We use VMware vSAN in a private cloud. We deploy company (customers') applications using the application servers in VMware. We have about 10,000+ users using it.

How has it helped my organization?

[We deployed it for our customer]

What is most valuable?

What needs improvement?

I think it needs to be more cost-effective if customers already have existing SAN to compare with.

We have used VMware vSAN for four years. We are using version 6.5 of vSAN.

We have not had much of a problem so I would say it is very stable.

Good.

We have good support and meet SLA.

We switched from traditional deployment to HCI in order to scale and ease management to cope with a large number of applications

The initial setup was easy and straightforward. We had no issues. It took us about a month for installation and configuration.

N/A

Customer also considered Nutanix.

What other advice do I have?

VMware vSAN may not be the right solution for everyone or for every solution. There might be more solutions that you want to consider depending on your issues of application deployment at hand.  So you have to look at your own factors and compare solutions thoroughly before you make a big decision. I would rate VMware vSAN at an eight on a scale of ten.

Private Cloud
RB
Software Engineer at a comms service provider with 51-200 employees
Easy to install, scalable, and stable

• "We have found the solution to be very scalable."
  • "The price for the hard drive, for vSAN, is very expensive."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution for data storage for the virtual machines.

What is most valuable?

The solution is quite stable.

We have found the solution to be very scalable.

For VMware, it's almost perfect.

The installation is straightforward.

What needs improvement?

The cost of the product is very high. The price for the hard drive, for vSAN, is very expensive.

We've just recently deployed the solution. It's been about two or three months or so. It hasn't been that long.

The stability and performance of the solution are good. There are no bugs or glitches. It doesn't crash or freeze. It's been very good so far, although we haven't used it for very long.

The solution can scale. If a company needs to expand it, it can do so.

At this time, the administration team for the vSAN infrastructure is just three people.

We do not get support via VMware. We get it through our local integrator.

We did not previously use any other solution.

The initial setup is easy. It's not overly complex or difficult.

You need to do it as one complete infrastructure. It maybe takes one hour.

We had an integrator assist us with the implementation process.

The price of the product is very high. We want to rescale it, however, it's expensive to do so.

What other advice do I have?

I'd rate the solution at a nine out of ten. We have been pleased with its capabilities so far.

I would recommend VMware. The vSAN is just part of VMware.

Darshil Sanghvi
Consultant at a tech services company with 501-1,000 employees
Reseller
Deploys on any server or hardware, reliable, and good overall support

• "One of the valuable features of vSAN is it has a universal type of technology that allows you to deploy it on any server or hardware. Competitors, such as Nutanix, provides the AOS and can be deployed only on certified hardware. For vSAN, it does not require any kind of certified hardware."
  • "In a future release, they could add micro-segmentation or security level features integrated into vSAN."

What is our primary use case?

We have a lab setup using VMware vSAN which is on Nutanix. We are using the vSAN for testing purposes and attempting to answer some questions. For example, how will the application be supported, how will the exit configuration be, and what would happen in terms of failures.

What is most valuable?

One of the valuable features of vSAN is it has a universal type of technology that allows you to deploy it on any server or hardware. Competitors, such as Nutanix, provides the AOS and can be deployed only on certified hardware. For vSAN, it does not require any kind of certified hardware.

Additionally, the dashboards and user interface provide a lot of details.

What needs improvement?

In a future release, they could add micro-segmentation or security level features integrated into vSAN.

I have been using this solution within the last 12 months.

We have never had any kind of hardware issues or problems. The solution is stable.

The technical was responsive and was helpful. There is a lot of documentation online if we need assistance.

The initial setup was complex.

We had assistance doing the implementation from the vSAN engineers.

This solution is expensive.

Nutanix provides us with Acropolis Operating System (AOS) along with its hardware, while VMware provides vSAN, vCenter, and vSphere which all have separate licenses and costs.

We have evaluated Nuranix and HPE.

What other advice do I have?

If you have storage, separate servers, or any kind of traditional architecture you can convert it to FCI with vSAN. It is a very simple and easy-to-use solution.

I rate VMware vSAN an eight out of ten.

DS
Team Leader at a financial services firm with 10,001+ employees
Ease of integration is key in addition to a very good VCG notification feature

• "Very good VCG notification feature."
  • "Reporting currently depends on third party applications and that could be improved."

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case is to host our hyperconverged solutions. I'm a project manager and team leader and we are implementers of this solution. We carry out everything from implementation to rollout. We are customers of VMware vSAN.

What is most valuable?

The VCG notification feature is key for me.

What needs improvement?

We faced some latency issues but it's been a little better lately. I'd like to see a single dashboard product and an improvement in reporting which currently depends on third party applications.

I've been using this solution for almost seven years.

It's relatively stable now although we had some issues in the past.

The solution is scalable, we have around 5,000 users. I think there are about 15 people in the company who deal with monitoring, management, and implementation.

We had a very good team early on so we were not dependent on Microsoft or VMware to help mitigate issues.

We previously used Nutanix and I was very happy using Prism. We ended up with vSAN following a bidding process.

The initial setup took around 15 months. It was reasonably simple but there were some issues. We migrated around 150 VMs with applications on them.

We have a deal with them so we don't pay for individual licenses, it's a complete solution with an overall license.

What other advice do I have?

There are many similar solutions on the market. With VMware you get ease of integration because any new product they bring to the market has VMware.

I rate this solution an eight out of 10.

MinaMagdy
Senior Infrastructure Solutions Specialist at Fiber Misr
Good replication, deduplication, and compression features, with remarkable support

• "The most valuable features are Erasure Coding, Deduplication and Compression, and the advancement in stretching regarding replication."
  • "They should provide Deduplication and Compression over the hybrid drives."

What is our primary use case?

We are service providers.

vSan is a system with defined storage, it doesn't work on a public cloud. It works and is built in your private cloud.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features are Erasure Coding, Deduplication, and Compression, and the advancement in stretching regarding replication.

What needs improvement?

They should provide Deduplication and Compression over the hybrid drives. The Deduplication and Compression are locally only on all flash drives.

When you compare with Nutanix, you will find the performance in the Deduplication and Compression is over hybrid and on the flash drives. This feature is needed in vSan.

I have been working with VMware vSan for five years.

We are using the latest version.

VMware vSAN is very stable.

It's scalable up to 96 nodes. We have over 500 users in our company who are using this solution.

VMware technical support is remarkable.

We did not work with a similar software preciously. We were working with traditional solutions such as storage, and servers, but not software-defined storage like vSAN.

The vSAN is very easy to deploy.

To deploy a full cluster in a data center, can take four hours.

We are all engineers. We don't need a team to maintain this solution, as everyone services themselves.

The price could be lower. vSAN has many versions with standard and advanced including Enterprise and Enterprise Plus. Regarding the Enterprise and the Advanced, it could be lower.

Private Cloud
Product Categories
Hyper-Converged (HCI)
Download our free VMware vSAN Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.