FK
Head Of Network & Technical Support at a financial services firm with 501-1,000 employees
Good for applications and high availability, and possible to install on-premises yourself

• "The high availability is very good."
  • "The stability needs to be improved."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution for our applications and its high availability.

What is most valuable?

The high availability is very good.

It's a good place to store our applications.

You can install the solution yourself.

What needs improvement?

The solution isn't as scalable as we would like it to be.

The stability needs to be improved.

The installation process is difficult.

I've used the solution for about three months. I installed it around a year or so ago.

The stability could be better. We're not really happy with the reliability or performance.

The scalability isn't ideal. A company might have trouble with this aspect of the solution.

We have about 500 users still using the solution.

The installation process isn't easy. It's not straightforward. It's a bit difficult, actually. They could work to make it easier.

We have about 17 people on staff that can handle maintenance tasks.

I handled the installation myself. I did not get help from a consultant or integrator. It was all handled in-house.

We do not currently pay a license fee. I cannot speak to any costs related to having this product in the company.

What other advice do I have?

We're using version seven of the solution. I'm not sure if it is the latest version or not.

I'd rate the solution at a nine out of then.

I would recommend the solution to other users.

Peter Betyounan
CTO & Co-Founder at Servers Australia
Best stability, good price, and useful Stretched Cluster feature

• "Stretched Cluster is one of the big features that we use across multiple data centers."
  • "I am looking for more of a software-defined storage platform that uses different protocols, such as iSCSI, NFS, and CIS, and maybe also has an object as part of that. They should 100% make it more of a storage-based product where it is not linked just to VMware, and it also has NFS and iSCSI built-in at a scalable level. They should turn it more into a dedicated storage-as-a-service platform instead of just being built into the VMware kernel. Their level one and level two support is not at all good, and it should be improved."

What is our primary use case?

We use it everywhere. We power all of our public cloud with it, and we also power all of our customers' private clouds with it.

What is most valuable?

What needs improvement?

I am looking for more of a software-defined storage platform that uses different protocols, such as iSCSI, NFS, and CIS, and maybe also has an object as part of that. They should 100% make it more of a storage-based product where it is not linked just to VMware, and it also has NFS and iSCSI built-in at a scalable level. They should turn it more into a dedicated storage-as-a-service platform instead of just being built into the VMware kernel.

Their level one and level two support is not at all good, and it should be improved.

I have been using this solution for four years.

This is the best product that we've ever used.

It is surely scalable for 64 nodes. We can run petabytes of data if we want.

Our clients are small to medium companies.

VMware's level one and level two support is not at all good. Their support is good only when you get to level three.

It is cheap. It is $0.02 a gig.

What other advice do I have?

I would advise others to just make sure that latency is brought into the equation because being HCI, network latency determines everything.

I would rate VMware vSAN an eight out of ten.

Learn what your peers think about VMware vSAN. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: October 2021.
542,721 professionals have used our research since 2012.
MC
Senior Manager IT Services at a financial services firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
A stable solution with integrated storage and a single pane of glass for management and operational control

• "It has a single pane of glass for management and operational control, which is the most valuable feature. The integrated storage is also valuable."
  • "Its integration with a hybrid cloud can be improved. Its scalability can also be improved so that it can be integrated with more than 32 nodes. The maximum number of nodes is okay, but our use cases could probably do with more nodes, probably up to 64. In terms of new features, it should probably have the basic support for high-speed networking spaces."

What is most valuable?

It has a single pane of glass for management and operational control, which is the most valuable feature. The integrated storage is also valuable.

What needs improvement?

Its integration with a hybrid cloud can be improved. Its scalability can also be improved so that it can be integrated with more than 32 nodes. The maximum number of nodes is okay, but our use cases could probably do with more nodes, probably up to 64.

My experience with it has been for about 12 months.

It has good stability. It is better than the non-hyper-converged one that we had previously.

Its scalability can be improved so that it can be integrated with more than 32 nodes.

Their support is good. If you are a big enough user, you get enough support.

This is the first one that we used.

For us, it was fairly straightforward. You need to have knowledge of vCenter. The deployment took about two to three days in total.

It is expensive, but you get what you pay for.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this solution, but you have to be careful about the license cost. It can get quite expensive.

I would rate VMware vSAN a nine out of ten.

Roberto_Boclin
Information Technology Consultant at a tech services company with 201-500 employees
A storage virtualization software with a useful orchestration feature

• "I like the orchestration feature."
  • "Integration could be better."

What is our primary use case?

We provide it for the government, big banks, and companies in Brazil.

What is most valuable?

I like the orchestration feature. The biggest problem with the hyper-convergence solutions is storage. This is because there's often a problem with the big size of the database. The other problem is how to use and balance VM in storage and CPU memory. When you use vSAN, you have a very good orchestration part. It's the main selling point of vSAN compared to other solutions.

What needs improvement?

Integration could be better. It should be easier to integrate vSAN with the dashboard you have, with Google, and the others. Better integration is very important because the customers need to put the solution inside their company. It's the same dashboard for AWS, the same dashboard on GCP. It's good to see this inside a dashboard. It's very important.

I have been using VMware vSAN since 2015.

On a scale from one to ten, I would give VMware vSAN a nine.

My company is a vSAN implementer.

The price is okay.

A good orchestration solution is SimpliVity. It's a very good choice because you don't have to dedicate much time. But vSAN is also very good. Dell's solution is very similar, but it's a complex tool.

Sandeep Solanki
Assistant General Manager at a manufacturing company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Feature-rich, good support, and a trouble-free setup

• "Technical support is good."
  • "There is always a challenge with their firmware."

What is our primary use case?

We use this product for server virtualization.

What is most valuable?

We have found many of the features to be valuable.

What needs improvement?

There is always a challenge with their firmware. There is different hardware and they are always looking for different firmware that is compatible with vSAN. It is very difficult to find the compatibility matrix.

They need to do some kind of automation in terms of hardware, firmware, and compatibility with the vSAN. They need to do some sort of upgrade for the customer.

I would like to see the upgraded mechanism, and improvements on the hardware so that we can create a VPN.

I have been using VMware vSAN for more than two years.

It's a stable solution. So far we have not had any issues.

This is a scalable product. As it is only used for server virtualization, we do not consider usage on a per-user basis.

Technical support is good. They know what we need. We log a case and they come to us with suggestions to fix the issues.

The initial setup was manageable. It was not a problem.

Tun Toe Aung
Head Of Products And Solutions Architect at a government with 201-500 employees
Responsive technical support, easy to use, and stable

• "The solution is simple to use compared to other solutions, such as Hyperflex, VxRail, and Nutanix"
  • "VMware vSAN needs to improve its features because other solutions have more advanced features."

What is our primary use case?

VMware vSAN is a hyper-converged infrastructure and we use it as a software-defined storage solution for our customers.

What is most valuable?

The solution is simple to use compared to other solutions, such as Cisco Hyperflex, Dell VxRail, and Nutanix

What needs improvement?

I have been using VMware vSAN for approximately four years.

The solution is quite stable in small and medium environments. However, I do not have experience using the solution in enterprises companies.

We have 31 people in my organization using this solution.

Technical has been good in my experience but they could improve.

The price of VMware vSAN is expensive and there is an annual license required.

I have evaluated many other solutions, such as Cisco Hyperflex, Dell VxRail, and Nutanix

What other advice do I have?

In my country, Myanmar, both VMware, and Cisco are the most reliable solution for networking and virtualization than other related solutions. Other vendors, such as Nutanix and SimpliVity are quite strange to our IT environments at this time.

I rate VMware vSAN an eight out of ten.

Maurizio Del Bianco
IT Manager at PAFOM
Reliable, simple to use, integrates well but expensive

• "The solutions best feature is that it is easy to use."
  • "The customer service is good but there is a cost for it. It does not come free."

What is our primary use case?

We are a non-profit and we are working on a project utilizing the solution for infrastructure.

What is most valuable?

The solutions best feature is that it is easy to use. The integration between different operating system is easy. It is reliable.

I have been using the solution for more than fifteen years.

The solution is totally stable.

The customer service is good but there is a cost for it. It does not come free.

It is an expensive solution. There should be more flexible with licensing to allow small businesses the essentials of the solution's features. They should have a reduced license fee for a certain amount of memory and nodes, or some kind of restriction like this, that would allow smaller businesses a reduced price. We have had a hard time to afford the solution.

There are a lot of other companies that offer similar solutions and they are becoming more and more competitive with VMware at a fraction of the price. For example, Red Hat.

What other advice do I have?

The solution is very good but the price is its downside, this is the reason for my low rating.

I rate VMware vSAN a seven out of ten.

Vladyslav Slobodianyk
Director at Dnipro-Technocnter
Reseller
Good productivity, data storage capabilities, and technical support

• "The most valuable features are productivity and data storage."

What is our primary use case?

We are a solution provider and VMware vSAN is one of the products that we implement for our clients.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features are productivity and data storage.

I have been working with VMware vSAN for between one and two years.

vSAN is a stable solution.

This is a scalable product.

I have not dealt with them directly but my understanding is that they have good technical support.

We are trying to support Nutanix, so I have some experience with it.

The suitability of one solution over the other depends on the use case.

As a system architect, I have not deployed it myself.

The price of vSAN could be lower.

The licensing fees are paid quarterly.

What other advice do I have?

My advice when it comes to products like vSAN or Nutanix is that these are products for new customers. Existing customers have a classic architecture and they have no reason to implement a hyper-converged infrastructure.

I would rate this solution a nine out of ten.

Product Categories
    Hyper-Converged (HCI)
    Download our free VMware vSAN Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.