MS
VMware Software Engineer at a insurance company with 10,001+ employees
Reliable with good performance and helpful technical support

• "The pricing of the product is reasonable."
  • "The latest version of the solution has a few bugs."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution for virtualization.

What is most valuable?

The solution offers a very stable performance.

It's a scalable product.

The solution is extremely reliable. It's an excellent product.

The initial setup is pretty straightforward.

Technical support has always been great.

The pricing of the product is reasonable.

What needs improvement?

The latest version of the solution has a few bugs. This may be due to the fact that they moved to web-based management. There are some problems in that web-based management, however, it's a minimal issue.

I've been using the solution for seven or eight years at this point. I've used it for a while.

The solution is very stable and very reliable. The performance has been great. In the version we are using, there are no bugs or glitches. It doesn't crash or freeze.

The solution is very scalable. If a company needs to expand it, it can do so.

I'm not sure of the exact number of users, however, we do have the solution installed on 4,000 machines.

Technical support has been excellent. They are helpful and responsive. We have no complaints. Their level of service is always good.

The initial setup was straightforward and not overly complex. Although it took us a couple of weeks before we installed it, the deployment only took about one day or one and a half days.

We had three engineers that handled the deployment.

We handled the initial setup ourselves. We did not need the assistance of an integrator or consultant.

There's a yearly licensing fee, however, it isn't overly expensive.

What other advice do I have?

Up until now, we use the product on-premises, however, currently, we are developing a hybrid cloud. We are moving to the cloud solution and the base, the transition system is, VMware vSphere.

While we use the solution's 6.7 version, the latest version is version 7.

I'd rate the solution at a nine out of ten. I've been very happy with the capabilities of the product.

I would recommend the solution to other users and organizations.

Kshitij Singhai
Owner at Computech Associates
Feature-rich, stable, scalable, and useful for running multiple virtual machines from a single server

• "This product is useful for running multiple virtual machines from a single server so that people can utilize the hardware resources in their organization. Its ability for backups is also valuable. In case of a disaster, you can recover the entire server from the images. It is easy to use. In terms of features, whatever they are providing is more than sufficient for us. We are not exploiting this product up to a hundred percent."
  • "Its price should be better. Their support should also be more customer-friendly, and they should train people like us so that we know more about the latest technologies and features. If there is some program and drive from their side to teach us, it is definitely going to help us. Pricing and support are the most important features for mid-level companies. We are not implementing this solution for big tech companies."

What is our primary use case?

We are a service provider, and we give services to our customers. Whenever we provide the solution, we give the latest version available at that time.

What is most valuable?

This product is useful for running multiple virtual machines from a single server so that people can utilize the hardware resources in their organization. Its ability for backups is also valuable. In case of a disaster, you can recover the entire server from the images. It is easy to use.

In terms of features, whatever they are providing is more than sufficient for us. We are not exploiting this product up to a hundred percent.

What needs improvement?

Its price should be better. Their support should also be more customer-friendly, and they should train people like us so that we know more about the latest technologies and features. If there is some program and drive from their side to teach us, it is definitely going to help us.

Pricing and support are the most important features for mid-level companies. We are not implementing this solution for big tech companies.

We have been dealing with this solution for seven to eight years.

It is stable.

It is a scalable product. Very few people are using this product because of less awareness in our area. We are based in a small town in India where we don't have IT and IT companies. IT is a part of the production process. There are very few people who are using this service.

They should be more customer-friendly.

Its installation is almost straightforward. The basic installation is easy, but it also depends upon the customer requirements.

Its price is slightly higher for India. It is a little bit expensive on a monthly basis when considering the value of the Indian rupee.

What other advice do I have?

There is no other perfect solution as compared to this solution. If you want to go for virtualization, there is no other stable and sustainable option.

I would rate VMware vSphere an eight out of ten.

Learn what your peers think about VMware vSphere. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: October 2021.
552,027 professionals have used our research since 2012.
EN
IT Manager at a legal firm with 51-200 employees
Scalable with a straightforward setup and good stability

• "Technical support is quite good and very responsive."
  • "The cost could always be lower."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the product as a server. Most of the work we do for our clients.

What is most valuable?

The product works very well for us. Over the last decade, it's been extremely dependable.

The initial setup is very straightforward.

The stability has been very good.

Technical support is quite good and very responsive.

The solution can scale well.

What needs improvement?

The product meets our needs pretty well. I can't recall noticing any missing features. It's pretty complete.

Our hopes are that it continuously keeps improving.

The cost could always be lower.

I've been using the solution for about ten years or so. It's been about a decade. We've had it a while.

The stability is excellent. There are no bugs or glitches. It doesn't crash or freeze. It's extremely reliable and the performance has been good.

The product is very, very scalable. If a company needs to expand it, it can do so without any issues.

Our clients have users that vary anywhere from hundreds to thousands. Quite a few people are on it.

We've dealt with technical support in the past and I would rate them very highly. They are helpful and responsive. They get us answers. We're quite satisfied with the level of support we receive.

We didn't previously use a different solution. We've basically used this product since day one.

You can save quite a bit using this solution.

What other advice do I have?

We're just customers and end-users. We don't have any business relationship with VMware.

We use the latest version of the solution. I can't speak to the exact version number.

We're very happy with the solution overall. I'd rate it at a nine out of ten.

Using this product is a no-brainer. It's a really easy product to use. If you're looking at simply a VM or anything similar or anything cloud-based, it's pretty much exactly what you need.

SM
Manager at a non-profit with 201-500 employees
Easy to use and straightforward to implement with a nice dashboard

• "The solution is very straightforward to implement."
  • "Technical support could be faster in terms of response times."

What is our primary use case?

The solution is primarily used for management. It offers easier control at multiple branches.

What is most valuable?

The product is stable.

The flexibility of the solution is very good.

The product is very easy to use.

The product offers a very nice single dashboard for complete management.

The solution is very straightforward to implement.

We found the scalability to be very good.

What needs improvement?

The solution doesn't seem to be missing any features currently.

It would be ideal if the integration capabilities were a bit more robust.

Technical support could be faster in terms of response times.

I've been using the solution for about five or six years. It's been a while at this point.

The solution is very stable. There are no bugs or glitches. It doesn't crash or freeze. It's very reliable in terms of performance.

The scalability is very good. We haven't seen any issues with expanding it if we need to.

There are about 15 to 20 users on the solution at this time.

While we don't have current plans to increase usage, if the business grows, we likely will.

The technical support is quite good. They are helpful and knowledgeable. That said, their response times need to be better. We would like them to respond faster to queries.

Other than that, we are satisfied with their level of service.

The product is not overly complex to set up. It's very simple and straightforward. A company shouldn't have any issues with the implementation.

We have an admin team that can handle any maintenance required.

We are looking for opportunities with Nutanix. We are looking at it now.

That said, we did not evaluate any other products before choosing this solution. However, many years back, we did look into Citrix.

What other advice do I have?

We are using the latest version of the solution at this point. I cannot speak to the exact version number off-hand.

We are not integrating the solution at this time.

I'd rate the solution at an eight out of ten. I would recommend the solution to other companies.

PrasadMane
System Advisor IT at CRIF High Mark
Reliable, user-friendly interface, easy to install, configure, and manage

• "There is the simplicity of management, accessibility, and availability."
  • "The only concern that I have with VMware is the support. It is very limited and can be better."

What is our primary use case?

In the organization where I have worked for the past nine years, there are multiple virtualization platforms. Virtualization software includes Microsoft Hypervisor, Red Hat KVM, Oracle virtual machine, and Oracle virtual cloud.

vSphere is optimized for a specific type of virtualization.

What is most valuable?

There is the simplicity of management, accessibility, and availability.

The interface is really user-friendly.

What needs improvement?

When you get support from the VMware global team or support locations, customer complaints are not entertained or taken seriously by the VMware global team or support centers. Other OEMs, such as Microsoft and Oracle, would make you a priority.

I have been using VMware vSphere for three years.

We recently upgraded to the latest version.

It's a very stable solution. In fact, when it comes to virtualization, you can tell anyone to use the system.

In our organization, we have 600 users.

My previous organization had a population of approximately 35,000 people.

The support is the only negative feedback, they need improvements.

I'm familiar with all of the virtualization platforms that are now available on the market.

The initial setup and installation are straightforward. It is something that can be done by anyone.

In one hour, we can complete the installation and configuration.

Admins are only required to look after the VM portion of the new VM creation as well as the configuration or modification. Aside from that, we have a team of two or three admins to deploy and maintain this solution during their shift time, such as in the morning and afternoon shifts.

The organization pays the licensing fees.

We looked at a few alternatives and compared them to vSphere.

What other advice do I have?

The freelance experience for the platform is excellent.

I would recommend this solution to other users.

I would rate VMware vSphere a ten out of ten.

Yves-Schatzmann
Senior Information Technology Consultant at a energy/utilities company with 501-1,000 employees
Stable, scalable, with good customer support and an easy initial setup

• "I definitely like the stability, performance and ease-of-use."
  • "NSX is a product of VMware vSphere and it would be nice to see the solution have full integration capabilities with it."

What is our primary use case?

The solution acts as the basis for doing virtualization.

What is most valuable?

I definitely like the stability, performance and ease-of-use.

I have no issues with the solution's scalability or user-friendliness. I consider these to be perfect. We have had a fantastic, problem-free solution for the past 14 years when it comes to fault tolerance and disaster recovery. It has everything one needs.

What needs improvement?

VMware vSphere has a limited scope and necessitates the adding of additional products. This involves further complexity and expense. NSX is a product of VMware vSphere and it would be nice to see the solution have full integration capabilities with it.

I have been using VMware vSphere since 2007.

The solution is stable.

The solution is certainly scalable.

The customer support is nice. We are talking about a great organization, which offers much staff, support and white paper.

The initial setup was straightforward, perfect.

This process for the initial server lasts ten minutes. There is also the console, which involves two parts, one being the server itself. This is where the CD-ROM goes, something which is now on a USB key and does not involve the undertaking of any activity.

Deployment lasts half a day, at which point everything is up and running.

The real question is whether the person wishes to have one server or a hundred. The use of 200 machines will take longer. What I am talking about is small, basic installations.

If a person is trained, then he will be able handle the deployment and maintenance on his own. This is not complex.

Our customers incur a yearly licensing fee, one of three or five years, in fact.

What other advice do I have?

We consider the solution to be obligatory.

The solution's use can range from ten users to thousands.

I would definitely recommend the solution to others. I am a big fan of it.

I rate VMware vSphere as a twenty out of ten. I give it a perfect ten rating.

SK
Sr. Systems Engineer at a non-profit with 501-1,000 employees
Highly reliable with great support

• "Very reliable with a great community."
  • "Pricing is starting to get a little high-end."

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case of this solution is for server consolidation and high availability. We are customers of VMware and I'm a senior systems engineer.

What is most valuable?

The solution is highly reliable and suits our needs - it's highly popular. Support and the overall community are great. You can find a solution to any issues you have.

What needs improvement?

I think what they need to improve on is their pricing. They're starting to get a little high-end in terms of price compared to other solutions and the other solutions are catching up. Everything with VMware is very modularized and you can't just buy one piece and be done with it.

In my opinion, they would be wise to include a high availability out of the box type set up and not just for cloud, but site to site.

I've been using this solution for close to 15 years.

Technical support is excellent. They stay on the line and track down the problem. Usually it's on the first call. I have had some complex issues that took a day or two to resolve but for the most part, they're resolved in the first call.

For the most part, the initial setup is pretty straightforward. If you start getting into the more complex setups, it can get more complex. For most use cases, it's just stick the disk in, let it run, and it sets most of itself up. It's almost out of the box ready.

As far as I know, there is a standard licensing fee. It all depends on the options that you choose and what you need for each business. Every company that I've worked for has had a different pricing model and a different set of use cases. So pricing can range anywhere from $700-$800 per server core, all the way up $2,000-$3,000 per core.

What other advice do I have?

It's important to do your homework and make sure that it's the right solution for you. It's the same with anything, there are other options out there and you need to figure out what fits your business use case at the time.

I would rate this solution an eight out of 10.

MO
Operation Engineer at a healthcare company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Great documentation, good reporting, and helpful technical support

• "The solution is very scalable."
  • "The initial setup is quite complex."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution for our virtual environment.

What is most valuable?

The VM features are all very good.

We've been very happy with the reporting aspects of the solution.

The documentation of the product is excellent. It's very helpful.

The product has been very stable. It's quite reliable.

The solution is very scalable.

We've found the technical support to be very helpful and responsive.

What needs improvement?

The initial setup is quite complex.

We would like the pricing to be lower. It's very expensive right now.

There could be more security features added to the product.

I've been using the solution for about five years or so. It's been a while at this point. I have a good amount of experience on it.

The stability is very good. It's reliable. The performance is good. There are no bugs or glitches. It doesn't crash or freeze.

The scalability is very good. If a company would like to expand, it can do so.

In our organization, ten to 15 people are using the solution.

We've been in touch with technical support in the past. They've always been responsive. They are helpful and effective at solving issues. We're quite satisfied with the level of support our organization receives.

The initial setup is not straightforward. It's pretty complex.

The licensing is on a subscription basis.

The solution, in general, is quite expensive. They should work to make it less costly for their customer base.

What other advice do I have?

We are customers and end-users of the product.

We are using the latest version of the solution at this time.

We've just deployed it ourselves, and it is very small. We haven't had any difficulties with it at all so far and it's been five years.

I'd recommend the solution to other organizations.

I'd rate the solution at an eight out of ten. We've been largely very satisfied with the capabilities.

Download our free VMware vSphere Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.