MO
Operation Engineer at a healthcare company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Great documentation, good reporting, and helpful technical support

• "The solution is very scalable."
  • "The initial setup is quite complex."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution for our virtual environment.

What is most valuable?

The VM features are all very good.

We've been very happy with the reporting aspects of the solution.

The documentation of the product is excellent. It's very helpful.

The product has been very stable. It's quite reliable.

The solution is very scalable.

We've found the technical support to be very helpful and responsive.

What needs improvement?

The initial setup is quite complex.

We would like the pricing to be lower. It's very expensive right now.

There could be more security features added to the product.

I've been using the solution for about five years or so. It's been a while at this point. I have a good amount of experience on it.

The stability is very good. It's reliable. The performance is good. There are no bugs or glitches. It doesn't crash or freeze.

The scalability is very good. If a company would like to expand, it can do so.

In our organization, ten to 15 people are using the solution.

We've been in touch with technical support in the past. They've always been responsive. They are helpful and effective at solving issues. We're quite satisfied with the level of support our organization receives.

The initial setup is not straightforward. It's pretty complex.

The licensing is on a subscription basis.

The solution, in general, is quite expensive. They should work to make it less costly for their customer base.

What other advice do I have?

We are customers and end-users of the product.

We are using the latest version of the solution at this time.

We've just deployed it ourselves, and it is very small. We haven't had any difficulties with it at all so far and it's been five years.

I'd recommend the solution to other organizations.

I'd rate the solution at an eight out of ten. We've been largely very satisfied with the capabilities.

AP
IT Infrastructure Manager at a financial services firm with 10,001+ employees
Stable, easy to scale and deploy, vCenter and SRM features are good

• "I think that the solution is perfect. It's the best on the market."
  • "Response time could be improved."

What is our primary use case?

We use VMware vSphere for virtualization and to deliver VDI.

How has it helped my organization?

The  vSphere plataform allow us to consolidate our datacenter and give us more availability.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features are the vCenter, and SRM.

Technically speaking, there is nothing that I don't like. I think that the solution is perfect. It's the best on the market.

I have not used all of the features but the features that are provided are perfect. There is nothing that this solution doesn't have.

What needs improvement?

I don't think that the solution must be improved.

I have been using VMware vSphere since 2007.

We have the latest version and 6.7. 6.5, and 6.0.

It's stable, we have not had any issues with stability.

We have 100,000 employees in our organization.

it's very scalable. It's easy to scale.

I would rate the technical support an eight out of ten. They need to improve the time it takes to resolve a case.

Response time could be improved.

Yes, a used Microsoft Hyper-V, I switched because vSphere is more mature and stable.

The initial setup is straightforward. It's easy.

It takes can take 10 to 15 minutes to deploy a new server into the vSphere platform. It's so easy.

It may take more time for testing and implementation.

Deployment varies, if you are referring to the deployment of the full solution, it includes deploying the vCenter, deploying the servers, the host, and creating our clusters can take up to three hours.

The implementation were with VMware consultant team.

I don't like the price because it's too expensive.

No, I evaluated just vSphere and Hyper-V.

What other advice do I have?

It's important to contract a good level of support from VMware.

I would rate VMware vSphere a nine out of ten.

Learn what your peers think about VMware vSphere. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: November 2021.
552,695 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Jeroen De Jonge
Autodidact Quantum Physics- Quantum mechanics. at IC Consultancy
Best way to have a non-host based fixed solution

• "The virtualization is set by itself. vSphere is the best way to have a non-host based fixed solution. We always try to find an agnostic environment where we can restore agnostics or just say, "I need resources, capacity." That's why VMware vSphere in particular, has been the best in the past but now also with the evolution of their product. Nowadays, you don't have to use any STEM infrastructure anymore because the bandwidth and the land speeds are getting steeper."
  • "The only way for it to be a complete product is if you integrate all the functionalities. Then you don't need any backup solution anymore and you can do it by yourself. Integration needs improvement. They should improve a lot of the functionality because normally it's half of a product. You're only protecting yourself against technical failures but not against any cyber threats or any other stuff."

What is most valuable?

The virtualization is set by itself. vSphere is the best way to have a non-host based fixed solution. We always try to find an agnostic environment where we can restore agnostics or just say, "I need resources capacity." That's why VMware vSphere in particular, has been the best in the past but now also with the evolution of their product. Nowadays, you don't have to use any STEM infrastructure anymore because the bandwidth and the LAN speeds are getting steeper.

If you look at the interconnection if you have a dark fiber connection, you can have data sent between locations. It's getting much cheaper.

If you use Zerto on top of that, then you are protected against any cyber threats or attacks. If you do it right, if you configure it from the hypervisor layer to external storage and then you have always a way back. It's blocked by the application of the journal. You can always go back to a point in time if you want to restore. If the point in time is as short as possible then you have the best solution. You can leave any additional solutions like CrowdStrike.

What needs improvement?

The only way for it to be a complete product is if you integrate all the functionalities. Then you don't need any backup solution anymore and you can do it by yourself. Integration needs improvement. They should improve a lot of the functionality because normally it's half of a product. You're only protecting yourself against technical failures but not against any cyber threats or any other stuff. It's not about prevention, it's about time to recovery because it's going to happen anyway.

I have been using vSphere for twelve years.

It was very easy to install. If you have the right piece of hardware or blade server in place, you can use it in a VM where you try XYZ and then install it. You go forward with that and it's ready to install, so it's not a big problem.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate vSphere and 9.5 out of ten.

I really like it because it's a storage restoration additional add-on but it's really expensive now.

Ricky Santos
System Administrator at ON Semiconductor Phils. Inc.
Provides robust and highly available development and production environments

• "The vMotion in particular I think is the most valuable because this feature provides migrations of virtual machines in case you want to run do maintenance."
  • "I would like to see VMware vSphere provide a centralized patch service on the VMware level, regardless of your operating systems."

What is our primary use case?

The entire production and development environments are running on VMware vSphere using the 6.0 and 6.5 versions with twelve-node clustered configurations. Two data centers were deployed to separate the production side virtual machines from those of test and development.

How has it helped my organization?

The deployment of Enterprise VMware vSphere architecture helps us provide a robust and high availability infrastructure because of the combined features of VMware vSphere and VMware vCenter such as HA, DRS and Fault Tolerance. This base metal virtualization is highly compatible with almost all of the IT hardware.

What is most valuable?

The vMotion in particular I think is the most valuable because this feature provides migrations of virtual machines in case you want to run do maintenance. This his feature comes hand-in-hand with other features of VMware like the DRS, which automatically load-balances the whole VMware farm based on the usage and recommendation.

What needs improvement?

Improve the patch and updates online and remove mandatory reboot, or move the virtual machine onto a physical host that needs patching/maintenance.

I would like to see VMware vSphere provide a centralized patch service on the VMware level, regardless of your operating systems.

I have been using this solution for eleven years.

In my long experience, I have a single incident where our whole VMware farm went down. I can say it is very stable as long as the hardware is healthy.

The scalability is great. This solution is highly scalable and compatible with almost all IT hardware on the market.

The support is very responsive and highly knowledgeable.

Prior to this solution, we used Oracle Virtual Machine and Xen Virtualizations.

I  used the profiling feature.

I set up the system myself.

The license of VMware is a one-time payment and you can continue to enroll in support for troubleshooting and also administer the licenses.

We did not evaluate other options before choosing this solution.

Kobus Almon
Chief Technology Officer at perfekt
MSP
Stable, scalable, easy to install and has good tech support

• "The initial setup is very simple."
  • "The integration with containers should be addressed."

What is our primary use case?

While we work with the latest version, we also support customers when it comes to backing up their older versions, meaning we work with a variety of different ones.

Many of our customers have their core infrastructure on vSphere platforms. They make use of the solution for their virtual environments when it comes to their educational and healthcare institutions.

What is most valuable?

We consider the virtualization of CPU and storage resources to be a valuable feature.

What needs improvement?

The integration with containers should be addressed. While they have started to integrate with Tanzu, the integration is not that good at the moment.

I have been using VMware vSphere for 15 years.

As the solution has been around for a while, it's quite stable.

The solution is easy to scale.

We have take advantage of technical support. It is very good.

The initial setup is very simple.

Its duration depends on how big the environment is. Huge ones may take several weeks for implementation, while smaller ones would take several days.

Once the solution is deployed, there is a need for specific maintenance, as there are security vulnerabilities which must be considered, or new features or versions that may be put out.

We provide all the maintenance for the customers. As we also have services organizations, we manage some of these environments on the customers behalf.

As the vSphere platform allows for a variety of additions, it is quite good. There is enterprise plus, enterprise and standard, so the pricing is not too bad.

What other advice do I have?

The solution is mostly deployed on-premises, although we also have cloud deployments.

This product is suitable for a company of any size.

The solution rates competitively against Nutanix and Microsoft. Overall, I feel it to be a pretty proven platform, although the underlying platform, or the management and features that surround it, are of secondary importance. BDI is the main focus.

I rate VMware vSphere as an eight out of ten.

SM
Cyber Security Technical Engineer at a tech services company with 1-10 employees
Good speed, excellent scalability, and an easy initial setup

• "The speed of the solution is excellent."
  • "There needs to be more integration overall. That would be quite helpful."

What is most valuable?

The scalability of the solution is excellent. It expands very nicely.

The speed of the solution is excellent.

The splitting of the machines is quite useful.

The installation of the product is quite straightforward.

Technical support is quite helpful and very responsive.

What needs improvement?

Whatever VMware features that are provided on a virtual workstation should also be provided here. However, various features don't seem to be included.

There needs to be more integration overall. That would be quite helpful.

The stability could improve a bit.

We've used the solution in our organization for many years. I can't speak to the exact amount of time. It's used across many departments. They may have started using the product at different times. However, it has been used for quite a while internally.

The stability could be better. It's not flawless. There can be some improvements.

The solution scales well. It expands easily. If a company wants to expand, it can do so with ease. It's not a problem.

The technical support is fast and the feedback is good. They are knowledgeable and responsive. We are satisfied with their level of service.

The initial setup is not overly complex. It's quite straightforward. A company shouldn't have any issues with the initial setup process. It's simple.

We had everything up and running within a week. It doesn't take too long.

We have the staff on hand that is capable of handling the implementation ourselves.

I'm not sure what the pricing of the product is. It's not an aspect of the solution I typically handle.

What other advice do I have?

I'd rate the solution at an eight out of ten. We've been quite satisfied with its capabilities overall. We are very happy with it.

I would recommend the solution to other organizations and users.

ZB
Executive Director at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
Easy and quick to install, flexible, and stable

• "The most valuable features are that it's stable, easy to use, and it's flexible."
  • "The price is a big issue for us because the market is very competitive in our country, so we can't really push our VMware vSphere products because the customers will prefer to use something cheaper."

What is our primary use case?

We have been using ESXi hypervisors with vCenter. We use it for both private and public clouds.

What is most valuable?

What needs improvement?

The price is a big issue for us because the market is very competitive in our country, so we can't really push our VMware vSphere products because the customers will prefer to use something cheaper. Customers in our country are very price-sensitive, so if the price were reduced it would be more popular.

We have been working with VMware vSphere for the past decade.

It is a simple product to use and we haven't had any issues with using it, right out of the box. We plan to continue using it in the future.

This is a scalable product. Our entire business and virtual machines run on vSphere, and our customers do, as well.

We have been in contact with technical support and had a good experience. We are satisfied with them.

We did not use another similar solution prior to vSphere.

The deployment is straightforward and probably takes less than 20 minutes per host.

It is easy to install and we did it by ourselves.

We have two engineers who are responsible for maintenance.

This is an expensive product, especially because we need to pay in US Dollars. Really, it depends on the exchange rate. If the exchange in our country is bad then the product becomes even more expensive.

I have evaluated other hypervisors and based on my experience, I find that vSphere is top-rated.

What other advice do I have?

This is a good product and I recommend it.

I would rate this solution a ten out of ten.

SP
General manager at a comms service provider with 501-1,000 employees
Scalable and easy to set up with good stability

• "The installation process is very straightforward."
  • "The solution should offer more integration capabilities."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the product for server virtualization. We have multiple VMs for different environments for our business needs.

What is most valuable?

The solution is scalable.

We haven't had any issues with stability.

The installation process is very straightforward.

What needs improvement?

The solution should offer more integration capabilities.

I've been using the solution for four or five years at this point.

The solution seems to be stable. We haven't had any issues. There are no bugs or glitches. It doesn't crash or freeze.

You can scale the solution very well if you need to. It's not a problem at all.

As I am not directly involved with the product, I've never had to reach out to technical support to troubleshoot any issues. Therefore, I cannot speak to how helpful or responsive they are.

We have found the solution to be straightforward. It's pretty simple and not overly complex.

A different team handled the setup and deployment. I can't say exactly how long it took to get everything up and running.

We have some engineers that can handle the deployment and maintenance aspects of the product.

While I'm sure we are paying some sort of licensing fee, I cannot speak to any exact details. That's handled by management and is not something that I have to deal with directly.

I am not familiar with the company looking at or evaluating other solutions.

What other advice do I have?

We're end-users and customers.

I'm not sure which version of the solution we're currently on. I don't manage that aspect of it.

Overall, I would rate the solution at an eight out of ten. We've mostly been very happy with its capabilities.

I would recommend the solution to others.

Download our free VMware vSphere Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.