Rangga Kusuma
Head Tim Infrastructure, and IT Security at Lembaga Penjamin SImpanan
Helpful load balancing, reliable, and responsive technical support

• "The most important feature is the ability to balance the servers with Distributed Resource Scheduler (DRS). It is a very useful feature and should be mandatory for vSphere to have but it is only available in the enterprise edition. It should be available in all versions."
  • "We are provided with a mini dashboard that has been improved in the latest version but it still could be better. The monitoring is now available on the vCenter dashboard and the vROps has been added to the basic version that had to be purchased separately before. A complete dashboard has always been provided with some competitors, such as Nutanix."

What is our primary use case?

Previously, we were using the conventional physical server but we now use the enterprise version of VMware vSphere to virtualize all of our servers. All of the servers in our company are now virtualized servers. In 2016, we do not know that virtualized servers can be monitored, we have implemented monitoring for the virtualized systems and management allowing us to create DR for the solution.

What is most valuable?

The most important feature is the ability to balance the servers with Distributed Resource Scheduler (DRS). It is a very useful feature and should be mandatory for vSphere to have but it is only available in the enterprise edition. It should be available in all versions.

What needs improvement?

We are provided with a mini dashboard that has been improved in the latest version but it still could be better. The monitoring is now available on the vCenter dashboard and the vROps has been added to the basic version that had to be purchased separately before. A complete dashboard has always been provided with some competitors, such as Nutanix.

I have been using the solution for approximately seven years.

The solution is reliable.

We have purchased the platinum technical support and they are responsive. They answer emails and telephone calls quickly.

I have used Hyper-V previously.

The initial setup is easy but the security configuration is complex.

We are on a perpetual license for VMware vSphere and the price can be expensive compared to other solutions, such as Hyper-V. They should lower their price.

I have evaluated Nutanix.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this solution to others. I advise those wanting to use the solution to test it out and compare it to competitors.

I rate VMware vSphere a nine out of ten.

Domingos Francisco
IT Administrator at a healthcare company with 201-500 employees
User-friendly, easy to manage, and straightforward installation

• "The solution is user-friendly. It is easy to convert, create, and manage systems."
  • "On the older version of VMware vSphere, possibly version four, we had a feature that allowed us to backup Ziploc machines. It has not been available in the newer version such as six or seven. I have been looking for another solution to accomplish the backups but they should bring back this plugin-type tool to allow older backup capabilities."

What is our primary use case?

We have implemented VMware vSphere a lot which is used for Server Virtualization. It has reduced the number of equipment that we need to use in the data centers servers, such as HP, IBM, Dell, and many others. We can use this solution for many use cases, even storage.

How has it helped my organization?

We have been able to reduce the amount of time between implementations and the number of systems needed which has allowed us to focus that time somewhere in our organization.

What is most valuable?

The solution is user-friendly. It is easy to convert, create, and manage systems.

What needs improvement?

On the older version of VMware vSphere, possibly version four, we had a feature that allowed us to backup Ziploc machines. It has not been available in the newer version such as six or seven. I have been looking for another solution to accomplish the backups but they should bring back this plugin-type tool to allow older backup capabilities.

I have been using this solution for approximately eight years.

The solution is stable.

The solution is easy to scale.

We use Microsoft Hyper-V.

The installation is straightforward.

I have recently implemented version seven and I am monitoring the differences from five to seven.

We have found sometimes when we have some instability it is difficult to get support for the specific issue.

We have saved money from reducing the number of systems needed, the time it takes for someone to do implementations, and the electricity used for the systems.

What other advice do I have?

My advice to those wanting to implement the solution is to make sure they read and know exactly what the solution does, and if there were updates from the previous version they have used, understand the changes before implementing.

I rate VMware vSphere a nine out of ten.

Learn what your peers think about VMware vSphere. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: October 2021.
543,089 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Gabriele-Pizzigati
Senior Software and Systems Engineer at SAMU.IT
User
Reliable, scalable, with good support and high availability

• "This solution's most valuable feature is its High Availability."
  • "The support is good, but it's slow."

What is our primary use case?

We are an IT company and VMware partners.

VMware vSphere is used for virtualization in all situations and for all businesses.

What is most valuable?

This solution's most valuable feature is its High Availability.

What needs improvement?

The only concern I have with VMware vSphere is that the level of support is inadequate. It's not very fast. The support is good, but it's slow.

When we need help, we require someone to answer the phone quickly.

I've been selling VMware vSphere since it was launched.

We have no issues with the stability of VMware vSphere. It is very stable.

VMware vSphere is a scalable product.

Technical support is good but not very fast.

We have customers who use Sangfor, as well as customers with VMware.

vSphere is used by all VMware customers.

A small infrastructure installation can take up to eight hours.

The teams are always the same. We have five technicians, three of whom specialize in networking and virtualization, and one who is a management engineer.

Our customers have the option of paying the licensing fee when they purchase the solution or renting it from us.

If a customer chooses to rent the solution, the customer pays us and we purchase the solution.

What other advice do I have?

The vSphere serves as the system's control center for managing virtual machines (VMs). VMware vSphere is present in all installations.

Our solutions are all deployed on-premises.

As a company, we advise, supply, and install products for our clients. We provide two solutions, one of which is Sangfor and the other is VMware.

As a reseller of vSphere, I would recommend this solution to anyone who is interested in using it.

I would rate VMware vSphere an eight out of ten.

VC
CEO at a tech services company with 201-500 employees
An easy-to-use and stable solution that can reduce the manual cost of your infrastructure

What is our primary use case?

We have co-located our servers in different data centers, and these co-located servers are in a cluster. For storage, we are using vSAN, and for compute, we are using vSphere 6.7. We will be upgrading to version 7 in due course.

What is most valuable?

It is very easy to use and very stable.

What needs improvement?

The cost can be better.

I have been using this solution for almost eight to nine years.

It is very stable.

It is scalable. You can use a cluster with 216 nodes. I believe it can be scaled much more. We use vSphere to create virtual machines and give them to our customers. Most of the…

What is our primary use case?

What is most valuable?

It is very easy to use and very stable.

What needs improvement?

The cost can be better.

I have been using this solution for almost eight to nine years.

It is very stable.

We use vSphere to create virtual machines and give them to our customers. Most of the applications are on it, so we have around 8,000 to 10,000 users on five different clusters. In terms of our plans to use this product in the future, we are currently thinking about whether to continue using this solution or not.

Their support could definitely be better. They can put more experienced and more intelligent people on support. I would rate them a seven out of ten.

I won't say it is straightforward, but it is also not complex. If the hardware and net securities are there and you have the hardware configuration, then the installation takes 24 to 48 hours.

We have a team of infrastructure users who are experts in VMware. They do the installation. Two persons can do the deployment.

It is expensive.

What other advice do I have?

I would definitely recommend this solution to others. It is a very good product. It is very stable, so your infrastructure uptime can be better. The manual cost of your infrastructure can be less if you use vSphere.

I would rate VMware vSphere an eight out of ten.

Private Cloud
NW
Head of Technical at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
Reseller
A virtualization platform with useful standard features

What is our primary use case?

We use vSphere primarily for data center solutions. We migrated most of the physical workloads to a virtual environment. Even physical data center migrations were made possible because of VMware workloads. We had replication workloads using such technology for DR purposes. I've also deployed a Nutanix cluster with the VMware Hypervisor.

What is most valuable?

I like the standard features.

What needs improvement?

The price could be better.

I've been using VMware vSphere for eight or nine years.

What is our primary use case?

What is most valuable?

I like the standard features.

What needs improvement?

The price could be better.

I've been using VMware vSphere for eight or nine years.

It's a stable product. I have a little reservation about their vSAN product, which I don't think is well suited for co-work loads that require performance. In that aspect, I tend to favor Nutanix, but other than for vSAN, I think it's a good product.

It's a scalable solution.

Technical support is very good.

The initial setup becomes simpler by the day. It's very easy. But it wasn't easy before and was pretty tedious. But these days, it's easy.

The deployment time depends on the workload and how large the environment is. If there are a lot of hypervisors and migration work, it could take anywhere from two to six days or more to install and deploy.

I work as an integrator, so I implemented this solution.

It could be cheaper. But not only cheaper because Nutanix's hypervisors are free of charge out of the box. You don't even have to pay for the hypervisor's enterprise version. Given that, I don't think VMware should be charging so much for the hypervisor. The hypervisor is a commodity now.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend it to potential users.

On a scale from one to ten, I would give VMware vSphere a nine.

Leonardo Shewchenko
Information Technology Support Coordinator at a computer software company with 5,001-10,000 employees
Reseller
Is stable and integrates well with other environments

• "It is a very stable solution. Integration with other environments was simple to achieve."
  • "The documentation could be improved. It does not help me to show the client the value of going with VMware vSphere rather than an open source or cheaper solution."

What is our primary use case?

It's the main virtualization solution for our clients.

What is most valuable?

The HA and DRS are very valuable.

It is a very stable solution.

Integration with other environments was simple to achieve.

The initial setup is simple even for complex environments. The documentation for implementation is very good.

VMware vSphere has great technical support.

What needs improvement?

The documentation could be improved. It does not help me to show the client the value of going with VMware vSphere rather than an open source or cheaper solution.

If we have extensive documentation that is complete and helps us understand all the features, it will help us to try to propose the solution itself and try to show the value of going with it.

I've been using VMware vSphere for more than twenty years.

When compared to the stability of other solutions, VMware vSphere is by far the most favorable.

Compared to Microsoft's technical support, it's by far the best experience that we've had.

The initial setup is very simple. Even for more complex environments, it's really pretty simple. The available documentation is complete, which helps specialists create more complex solutions in VMware.

This is not the cheapest solution, but when you consider the stability of VMware vSphere, it is a great solution.

My clients evaluated Hyper-V because they use a Microsoft environment.

What other advice do I have?

I recommend that they get familiar with the technology and also with the documentation for implementation. It's really complete. I would also recommend that they obtain the training available online, which is really good.

On a scale from one to ten, I would rate this solution at ten.

ForrestWu
Sr. Manager at WWF CANADA
A cloud computing virtualization platform with a useful distributed resource scheduler feature

• "I like that it's like a distributed rescheduler. You can move to and use VMotion as well. You can move the server and move the virtual machines around different physical servers. This makes it easier when it comes to redundancy."
  • "The initial setup could be better. It manages all the setups, but it's not very straightforward, and it takes time."

What is our primary use case?

We use VMware vSphere for our windows server and other virtual machines.

How has it helped my organization?

No need to upgrade the hardware for individual machines, easily to assign more resources to virtual machines when desired.

What is most valuable?

I like that it's like a distributed resource scheduler, the workload can be balanced automatically. Also you can use vMotion as well to manually move the virtual machines around different physical hosts. This makes it easier when it comes to redundancy.

What needs improvement?

The initial setup could be better. Follow the instruction you can set it up, but it's not very straightforward, and you need some storage and network knowledge to get the better understanding.

I have been using VMware vSphere for over ten years.

It's stable. These have patches regularly, and we apply the critical patch.

Scalability is fine. We don't have too many virtual machines because we're moving to the cloud slowly. That's why we don't have an issue with that.

I think VMware support is excellent. They have the highest one, and I'll rate them nine out of ten. I'm still satisfied with their support.

The initial setup is a little complex because of the infrastructure. It's not related to just the one physical server, you need design the storage and networks. There are three different areas.

What other advice do I have?

For my friend with stock in virtualization, I think maybe they can try the Cloud. That may be easier, and they don't need to stay on-premises.

On a scale from one to ten, I would give VMware vSphere a nine.

DB
IT & Security Team Leader at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
Versatile, extremely stable, and very scalable with useful DRS and resource pooling features

• "It is very versatile. All features are beneficial and very good, especially DRS and resource pooling."
  • "They can maybe review its price. They can also consider offering a free public version for development for a certain number of users."

What is our primary use case?

We use it for the virtualization of server infrastructure.

What is most valuable?

It is very versatile. All features are beneficial and very good, especially DRS and resource pooling.

What needs improvement?

They can maybe review its price. They can also consider offering a free public version for development for a certain number of users.

I am using version 6.7, and it would be good if it has support for SaaS storage. They might already have this feature in the latest version 7.1.

We have been using this solution in our company for 10 years.

It is extremely stable.

It is very scalable. Its usage depends on each customer. We have small, medium, and large customers.

As a company, we are not a big consumer of VMware solutions. We do VMware deployments in other companies. We sell it to other companies, and we have a partnership with VMware.

Based on my experience, they are very good. Their support used to be best, but it also depends on the number of subscriptions for each contract. Generally, their process is very good.

It is easy.

I'm not a pricing or budgeting person, but I know that its price is a little bit high, and they can consider reviewing it. Its price is probably the highest in this domain.

What other advice do I have?

I personally do not recommend Hyper-V based on my experience, but I can recommend others to also look at Proxmox. There is also a solution from IBM. They are, for sure, very good contenders.

I would rate VMware vSphere a nine out of 10. It satisfies our needs.

Private Cloud
Download our free VMware vSphere Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.