Rommie  Kaputin
IT TECHNICAL/ SERVER ADMINISTRATOR at a transportation company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Valuable features, user-friendly, and priced reasonably

• "I have found the Storage vMotion feature to be the most valuable."
  • "One problem that needs fixing is when we run the backup for the servers, the servers become inaccessible to everybody on-site while it is creating a snapshot."

What is our primary use case?

We use it to host our business-critical applications and servers on-premise.

What is most valuable?

I have found the Storage vMotion feature to be the most valuable.

It is a very user-friendly solution.

What needs improvement?

One problem that needs fixing is when we run the backup for the servers, the servers become inaccessible to everybody on-site while it is creating a snapshot. If your server size is large you will have to wait longer when the server is unavailable.

In the future, it would be a benefit for VMware to improve on the Storage vMotion feature by making it become faster between host. It takes a lot of time to transfer files between hosts currently.

I have been using the solution for six years.

The solution is very stable.

The scalability in my experience is good.

I was not at the company when they did the deployment of vSphere version 5.5 but I did do the deployment of a host on version 6.7, which is quite straightforward.

The pricing is reasonable and you are able to purchases licencing for certain time frame intervals, monthly, yearly etc.

What other advice do I have?

I would definitely recommend the solution to others working in IT.

I would give the solution a nine but the vMotion feature takes too long for transferring files between stored data sources.

I rate VMware vSphere an eight out of ten.

Maan Othman
Senior presales consultant at Waseela
Reseller
Feature-rich, easy to install, stable, with good support

• "It is easy to use."
  • "They have multiple components required for the setup. It would be better to integrate it into one solution, especially for small business companies."

What is our primary use case?

We are resellers of VMware products. We sell both VMware vSphere and VMware vSAN.

This solution is used for infrastructure virtualization. It is deployed to get the most benefits of our hardware or for the user's hardware.

What is most valuable?

It is easy to use.

The features are very rich.

What needs improvement?

I would like to see it more open to working with other platforms.

They could improve the pricing. The license could be cheaper.

I have been acquainted with vSphere for two years.

It's a stable product.

It's a scalable solution. We have between 10 and 20 users.

Technical support is fine.

The initial setup is straightforward.

Depending on the environment, it can take a couple of days to complete the installation and configuration.

We have a team of two engineers to complete the entire setup.

It's a perpetual license paid on a yearly basis.

A customer can buy a license and support on a yearly basis.

The pricing should be more flexible and more affordable for the customer.

What other advice do I have?

I can recommend vSphere to other users who are looking into implementing it.

I would rate VMware vSphere an eight out of ten.

Learn what your peers think about VMware vSphere. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: October 2021.
542,823 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Michael Ogunlade
Head of enterprise systems at Fidelity Bank Plc
Good dynamic resource scheduling and fault tolerance capabilities

• "Its dynamic resource scheduling and its fault tolerance capabilities are two features that I've found to be valuable. I also like that VMware vSphere is stable, scalable, and easy to install."
  • "I would like to see improvements in simplifying automation, cloud native deployment, administration, and fault resolution."

What is our primary use case?

It's used as a private cloud, and currently, we operate the original enterprise infrastructure. For VMware, a majority of the workload is posted on VMware, and it's posted on the HCI solution.

What is most valuable?

Its dynamic resource scheduling and its fault tolerance capabilities are two features that I've found to be valuable. I also like that VMware vSphere is stable, scalable, and easy to install.

What needs improvement?

I would like to see improvements in simplifying automation, cloud native deployment, administration, and fault resolution.

I've been using VMware vSphere since 2008.

My impression is that it's a very stable solution.

I believe that VMware vSphere is scalable.

The customer service and technical support were fine.

We used Hyper-V, which is a Microsoft product.

It was easy to install. We performed a complete deployment because it was a full MCI, so it required some architecture. I believe it took about a month.

I used consultants for the implementation process because it was a refresh project.

I currently use the yearly licensing option, and I think that the pricing is fine for this solution.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate this solution at 9, on a scale from one to ten.

NB
Director Global Security at a outsourcing company with 10,001+ employees
Flexible, good scalability, and it brings stability to our workloads

• "The most valuable features are stability and support."
  • "I would like to see support for endpoint virtualization."

What is our primary use case?

The primary use case is server virtualization and it brings stability to our workloads.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features are stability and support. The stability of this product is very good, and I have not seen an issue for many years. It is very stable for all of the features that are available today.

What needs improvement?

I would like to see support for endpoint virtualization.

Another thing that I would like to see are improvements with respect to performance.

I have been using VMware vSphere for at least seven or eight years.

The stability is very good and should be a top priority for choosing this product.

This is definitely a scalable product and it is used in a virtualized environment.

The support is very good and we have had no issues with them.

Compared to other products, vSphere is number one in terms of flexibility and scalability.

Pricing is a little bit on the higher side, compared to other products.

What other advice do I have?

Basically, this is a good solution and most of the features are already there. I can recommend it to others. That said, I would like to see better performance.

Hybrid Cloud
OM
IT Chief with 201-500 employees
Provides great backup and is extremely reliable

• "Provides good backup to our servers."
  • "It's an expensive solution."

What is our primary use case?

We are a construction business and this solution enables us to securely operate our technology. We are customers of VMware vSphere and I'm the company's head of IT.

How has it helped my organization?

We have many power outages and VMware is very reliable in terms of dealing with that kind of experience on a regular basis.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is the reliability for our own servers, the backup of the information on our servers.

What needs improvement?

The main issue for us is the cost of the solution.

I've been using this solution for four years.

The stability is fine - we need to upgrade our hardware and that is currently an issue.

We currently have 25 employees using this solution with another 20 users who work remotely.
We have two people managing vSphere.

Our experience with technical support has been very good.

We previously used SAN products and we've recently decided that we're going to move to Nutanix.

The initial setup was straightforward with deployment taking two weeks. We had an independent integrator who was responsible for this and they did a good job.

What other advice do I have?

This is a very good product for small business or community organizations.

I would rate this solution an eight out of 10.

FW
Information Technology Manager & Chief Information Officer at a financial services firm with 1-10 employees
Allows us to create or clone a virtual environment in a short period of time and has good stability and support

• "The ability to create or clone a virtual environment in a short period of time for testing is most valuable."
  • "An improvement could be in terms of keeping up with the upgrades. The upgrades could be set in an automated way so that the newer features don't require you to manually update, or you get an option to update automatically. This would be a useful enhancement."

What is our primary use case?

We use it to create virtual machines and things like that.

What is most valuable?

The ability to create or clone a virtual environment in a short period of time for testing is most valuable.

What needs improvement?

The enhancements that come out from time to time usually surpass what we need. We tend to upgrade because we do not want to be behind, but our needs don't continually grow. We are not very fast in terms of appetite for new things. However, we do appreciate that there is a continuous improvement, and for us, it is just a matter of being able to spin up a new environment quickly.

I have been using this solution for three years.

It is very stable.

Their technical support is great.

It has medium complexity. It isn't necessarily easy to set up. After you have set it up, it is easy to enhance.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate VMware vSphere a nine out of 10.

AS
Sr. Virtualization Engineer at a government with 51-200 employees
A highly available cloud computing virtualization platform with a useful resource distribution feature

• "I like the capability of vMotion, DRS, high availability, and resource distribution."
  • "The price could be better. The licensing is definitely expensive and tech support is sometimes frustrating."

What is our primary use case?

I use VMware vSphere as a regular VM for different workloads and different configurations.

What is most valuable?

I like the capability of vMotion, DRS, high availability, and resource distribution.

What needs improvement?

The price could be better. The licensing is definitely expensive and tech support is sometimes frustrating.

I have been using VMware vSphere for 15 or 16 years.

VMware vSphere is a robust and stable product. It doesn't break that often.

Technical support is sometimes frustrating. Lately, we have been dealing with some tech support on SRM and they are not able to solve it.

The initial setup is straightforward. Once you have some understanding, it's straightforward.

The price could be better. The license is definitely expensive.

What other advice do I have?

I don't find anything that I think it would be a bottleneck or any challenge. I've been using it for so many years. It's a robust product, and I don't see anything lacking. I would advise potential users to go for it. It's something you can rely on. It's very robust and doesn't break if you implement it correctly. It actually gives you peace of mind.

On a scale from one to ten, I would give VMware vSphere an eight.

MS
VMware Technician Manager at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
Easy to install, stable, and scalable

• "Stability and scalability are the most valuable features of this solution."
  • "I would like to see more support regarding containers, and they need more features for them."

What is our primary use case?

We use this solution for financial full disclosure, end-user computing, and for private cloud.

What is most valuable?

Stability and scalability are the most valuable features of this solution.

The connectivity to the pools from the large amount of memory to the CPU is also very good.

Also, the stability that it provides from the large system to the virtual machine is good.

What needs improvement?

I have been using VMware vSphere for a couple of years.

The stability of this solution is one of the most valuable features. It's a very stable product.

It's a very scalable solution. Every release includes scalability.

We have 200 to 300 customers who are using it and we have plans to increase our usage.

Technical support is moderate.

The initial setup is straightforward.

The time it takes for deployment depends on the environment and the design of it.

We need a team of five technicians to maintain this solution.

It's a monthly subscription model.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this solution to others who are interested in using it.

I would rate VMware vSphere a nine out of ten.

Download our free VMware vSphere Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.