GF
IT Operations Support at a energy/utilities company with 501-1,000 employees
Stable, simple to scale, simple to operate, and has helpful support

• "The virtualization this solution offer is very complete for the infrastructure."
  • "The support for the latest version could be improved."

What is our primary use case?

We use VMware vSphere on our main computer systems and we are using the Center Configuration Manager from VMware for the solution as well as vCenter for replication.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is the tech manager from the utilization.

The virtualization this solution offers is very complete for the infrastructure. It meets our requirements and our needs.

It is very easy to operate.

What needs improvement?

The support for the latest version could be improved.

I have been working with VMware vSphere for ten years.

We began with version 4.0 and are now working with the most recent version.

VMware vSphere is a stable solution.

VMware vSphere is a scalable product.

Technical support from VMware is very comprehensive and helpful.

We use several solutions such as Microsoft Azure, Oracle, and we use VMware for our infrastructure.

We also have another solution for disaster recovery.

We used Microsoft Azure for testing with the model phone credit. It was for testing only.

In my opinion, the price is not cheap, nor it is expensive. It's average.

Currently, we are starting on study for implementing the software design network, and I am evaluating options because I want to know the latest information about the products.

We are also evaluating NSX to implement it in the future.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate VMware vSphere a nine out of ten.

Hybrid Cloud
Fernando Tamariz
Information Technology Specialist at a university with 1,001-5,000 employees
A resilient solution that is easy to scale

• "The most valuable features are the resilience of the solution and vMotion."
  • "Support for the product is not good enough."

What is our primary use case?

We are using vSphere to virtualize our workloads.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features are the resilience of the solution and vMotion.

What needs improvement?

I would like to have replication between sites available in the standard version.

We have been using vSphere for more than five years.

We use it on a daily basis and it seems stable most of the time.

All of our servers and products run using vSphere. It is easy to scale.

Support for the product is not good enough. It should be faster and more efficient.

This is the only solution of this type that we have used.

The initial setup was simple, but you have to develop it before you begin to install it.

The deployment took us approximately one week.

We shared the implementation with a partner.

We do the maintenance, although we did have a problem one time that we escalated to the vendor.

The price of this solution is mid-range. There are additional features that can be purchased for an extra charge. For example, if you want replication between sites then you have to pay more.

What other advice do I have?

In summary, this is a good product and I recommend it because it's resilient and you do not have many products to install.

Learn what your peers think about VMware vSphere. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: November 2021.
554,529 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Daniel Aramayo
Implementation and Support Engineer at PRACSO S.R.L.
Has availability and is stable, scalable, and easily implemented

• "It is very stable and scalable, and implementation is straightforward as well."
  • "I think the pricing could be lower, and the technical support could be improved."

What is our primary use case?

It's a VDI and also for virtualized machines. We use it for digitized databases.

How has it helped my organization?

It made provisioning servers and application a lot easier and faster

What is most valuable?

vVols, vMotion, and vSphere have availability. It is very stable and scalable, and implementation is straightforward as well.

What needs improvement?

I think the pricing could be lower, and the technical support could be improved.

I would like to see more active replication in the next release.

3 years

It's very stable. There are some bumps or unintended behavior from time to time, but it has not really been an issue.

It is a scalable solution.

Technical support is not that great, and it's not that accessible.

Oracle Virtualizacion. Was not so user friendly and lacking a lot of features

The initial setup was extremely straightforward.

in-house

The pricing is a little bit on the expensive side, and the licensing is on a yearly basis.

We evaluated a lot of options like Microsoft Hyper-V and Proxmox, and Red Hat Virtualization

What other advice do I have?

I would totally recommend VMware vSphere even though I have some complaints about it. It's one of the great technologies available right now. I would rate it at eight on a scale from one to ten.

MD
Technical Account Manager at a tech services company with 201-500 employees
Simple to manage, user-friendly, and good technical support

• "The solution is user-friendly and easy to manage."
  • "The installation can take a long time, they need to improve on the simplicity and length of the installation."

What is our primary use case?

This solution is used as a virtual and a clustered environment. We provide a minimum of two central storage server clusters and the maximum we have is for approximately four server clusters.

What is most valuable?

The solution is user-friendly and easy to manage.

What needs improvement?

The solution could improve by providing better information on what other products it is compatible with. For example, we have customers that do not like AMD Chipsets used with VMware but it is not a technical issue, they need to bring more awareness.

I have been using VMware vSphere for approximately 10 years.

I have found the stability to be good.

The solution is scalable.

we have approximately 50 customers using the solution.

The customer service is good.

The installation is straightforward because it comes with the appliance, you only have to deploy the appliance. The installation can take a long time, they need to improve on the simplicity and length of the installation.

All the customers who have the VMware have the vSphere because there is no single installation.

We have five technicians for the installation and maintenance of the solutuion.

There is a perpetual license for this solution and the support is a yearly subscription.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this solution to others. If you use VMware, then you need to use vSphere to manage the clusters.

I rate VMware vSphere a nine out of ten.

Costinel Tunsoiu
Database Administrator at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
Robust and easy to use with good performance and efficiency

• "The performance is efficient."
  • "One of the areas creating a crash is when you are cloning."

What is our primary use case?

We have Hyper-V on a physical machine and another virtual machine. We are using this because of iSCSI, and we are using VMware for performance and production.

What is most valuable?

The performance is efficient. You can log the performance and report on the bottlenecks or any other problems you encounter.

What needs improvement?

One of the areas creating a crash is when you are cloning.

If you are cloning a virtual machine and you have any license on another system it will crash and we have to contact third-party support for assistance.

It's not cloning 100%.

I have been using VMware vSphere for eight years.

We are using version 5 and 6.7.

It's a stable solution, we have not had any issues with stability.

It's a scalable solution. We have three people in our organization who are using this solution.

We did not contact technical support. It wasn't necessary.

We are working with Hyper-V. It was so poor that we started using VMware.

The initial setup was straightforward, it was easy.

The price could be lower.

We are looking for other solutions, specifically for Hyper-V and domain controllers.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this solution. It's robust, it's working and it's easy to use.

I would rate VMware vSphere a ten out of ten.

MF
IT Manager at pioneers
Feature rich, easy to use, and simple initial installation

• "The solution has many valuable features. Virtualization is flexible and it has simple clustering. However, the most important feature is the ability to move between VMs. The vMotion features are very good."
  • "The monitoring is not good in vSphere, many times you have latency or you cannot find what you want. The events should be improved."

What is our primary use case?

We are using VMware vSphere on all of our servers in all environments.

What is most valuable?

What needs improvement?

The monitoring is not good in vSphere, many times you have latency or you cannot find what you want. The events should be improved.

I have been using VMware vSphere for more than five years.

The stability is very good, but the performance is not good. If you have a large workload, you have to go to a physical service.

The solution is scalable, to add storage is easy.

We have approximately six administrators that use the solution in my organization.

I have needed the support of VMware on one occasion. The first level of support is not good but the second level is better and overall the response times tend to be poor.

The initial setup is easy.

I did the implementation of the solution myself. We do the regular maintenance ourselves.

I'm satisfied with the VMware vSphere price. They have a bundle that is priced well. However, any advantage feature is very costly.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this solution to others.

I rate VMware vSphere an eight out of ten.

Rommie  Kaputin
IT TECHNICAL/ SERVER ADMINISTRATOR at a transportation company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Valuable features, user-friendly, and priced reasonably

• "I have found the Storage vMotion feature to be the most valuable."
  • "One problem that needs fixing is when we run the backup for the servers, the servers become inaccessible to everybody on-site while it is creating a snapshot."

What is our primary use case?

We use it to host our business-critical applications and servers on-premise.

What is most valuable?

I have found the Storage vMotion feature to be the most valuable.

It is a very user-friendly solution.

What needs improvement?

One problem that needs fixing is when we run the backup for the servers, the servers become inaccessible to everybody on-site while it is creating a snapshot. If your server size is large you will have to wait longer when the server is unavailable.

In the future, it would be a benefit for VMware to improve on the Storage vMotion feature by making it become faster between host. It takes a lot of time to transfer files between hosts currently.

I have been using the solution for six years.

The solution is very stable.

The scalability in my experience is good.

I was not at the company when they did the deployment of vSphere version 5.5 but I did do the deployment of a host on version 6.7, which is quite straightforward.

The pricing is reasonable and you are able to purchases licencing for certain time frame intervals, monthly, yearly etc.

What other advice do I have?

I would definitely recommend the solution to others working in IT.

I would give the solution a nine but the vMotion feature takes too long for transferring files between stored data sources.

I rate VMware vSphere an eight out of ten.

Maan Othman
Senior presales consultant at Waseela
Reseller
Feature-rich, easy to install, stable, with good support

• "It is easy to use."
  • "They have multiple components required for the setup. It would be better to integrate it into one solution, especially for small business companies."

What is our primary use case?

We are resellers of VMware products. We sell both VMware vSphere and VMware vSAN.

This solution is used for infrastructure virtualization. It is deployed to get the most benefits of our hardware or for the user's hardware.

What is most valuable?

It is easy to use.

The features are very rich.

What needs improvement?

I would like to see it more open to working with other platforms.

They could improve the pricing. The license could be cheaper.

I have been acquainted with vSphere for two years.

It's a stable product.

It's a scalable solution. We have between 10 and 20 users.

Technical support is fine.

The initial setup is straightforward.

Depending on the environment, it can take a couple of days to complete the installation and configuration.

We have a team of two engineers to complete the entire setup.

It's a perpetual license paid on a yearly basis.

A customer can buy a license and support on a yearly basis.

The pricing should be more flexible and more affordable for the customer.

What other advice do I have?

I can recommend vSphere to other users who are looking into implementing it.

I would rate VMware vSphere an eight out of ten.

Download our free VMware vSphere Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.