VMware vSphere Overview

VMware vSphere is the #1 ranked solution in our list of best Server Virtualization Software. It is most often compared to KVM: VMware vSphere vs KVM

What is VMware vSphere?

VMware vSphere is the leading server virtualization platform with consistent management for virtual data centers.

Deliver business value from day one with powerful server virtualization, breakthrough availability, safe automated management and intelligent operational insight that adapts to your environment. Automate workload placement and resource optimization based on preset customizable templates.

VMware vSphere Buyer's Guide

Download the VMware vSphere Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: May 2021

VMware vSphere Customers

Abu Dhabi Ports Company, ACS, AIA New Zealand, Consona, Corporate Express, CS Energy, and Digiweb.

VMware vSphere Video

Filter Archived Reviews (More than two years old)

MA
Systems and Network Administrator at Gulf Precast Concrete Co. LLC at Gulf Precast Concrete Co. LLC
A stable way of controlling our VMs and moving them between hosts

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case is controlling our virtual machines, as well as our host machines.

• "We are able to create virtual machines and move them from one host to another, controlling the resources."
  • "Generally, the user interface needs to be improved for non-technical people."

What other advice do I have?

When I hear that somebody is willing to deploy a similar solution, I suggest this product to them and even help with the deployment. I love this product. Once this solution is deployed, only fine tuning needs to be done. Once complete and everything is in place, you don't have to do much. From the technical end, the product is great. I would rate this product a ten out of ten.
User
Offers an easy OS upgrade and safe migration in a live environment, where downtime is extremely costly

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case for this solution is High Availability Industrial Control Operator Interfaces, and Historian & Regulatory Compliance Data.

How has it helped my organization?

This solution offers an easy OS upgrade and safe migration in a live environment, where downtime is extremely costly.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is its ability to revert to previous snapshots during testing of various guest and application deployments.

What needs improvement?

Two improvements that I would like to see are higher resolution console modes for guests and easier switching between consoles.

Learn what your peers think about VMware vSphere. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: May 2021.
509,641 professionals have used our research since 2012.
CEO and Owner at PT Solusindo Total Teknikatama
Helps to automate data replication and disaster recovery

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case is to implement a high availability server environment.

How has it helped my organization?

It helps to automate the data replication and DR.

What is most valuable?

The feature that I have found most valuable is the auto recovery during failure.

What needs improvement?

The scalability of the solution should be improved.

Three to five years.

The scalability needs improvement.
System Architect at KT Bank
High availability feature allows for automatic recovery of failed hosts

What is our primary use case?

We are virtualizing our x86 server infrastructure with VMware vSphere. It consolidates our environment dramatically. Our virtualization ratio is over 92%.

How has it helped my organization?

Using vSphere we have virtualized over one thousand servers and this gave us management, cost and datacenter space advantages.

What is most valuable?

vSphere offers the High Availability feature which serves automatic recovery of failed host's virtual machines on another host or hosts in the cluster. Also, DRS makes the cluster balanced.

What needs improvement?

Although vSphere is a nearly perfect product, it does need a little improvement. Datacenter and Cluster structure should be mixed so that the management of clusters would be easier.

For how long have

IT Supervisor at WACT
Makes Resources Available & Services More Reliable

What is our primary use case?

The company I work for is a global company and has many data inflection issues. Quality control decisions are not actually made at the local level. It is made at the headquarter level in Europe. We have our cloud site solution, our production environment, and our data recovery environment. We use VMware solutions integrated with HP solutions for hardware replication and storage-to-replication facilities. We use vSphere with ESXi 6.0, primarily for VM migration. We have an HP storage replication system in place for our first storage requirements with the VMs. Every other one is managed by… more »

• "The features in VMware vSphere data recovery are excellent. Sometimes I've deleted an entire server before and was able to recover the deleted VM. I just used some command line tools and I was able to restore the deleted VM."
  • "We want to see improvement from VMware with security. We want minimal downtime. We want automation. We want to deploy more efficiently."

What other advice do I have?

The advice I would give is that there should be proper planning for implementing VMware solutions. With us, the content management suppliers and the various vendors provided this. If VMware vSphere is the particular product you are choosing, consider where the sellers were located and if they have a knowledge of the product. * Do the suppliers have the right models for your business? * Do the suppliers have different VMware licenses available? * Will you be able to enjoy the VMware license discount with the manufacturer? * Does the integrator company have good partners in the supply chain? If…
Solution Architect at Viettel IDC
It helps us in the management of thousands of VMs in the coverage UI

What is our primary use case?

Cloud computing service (IaaS) Private/hybrid cloud Virtualization infrastructure Virtualization desktop infrastructure.

How has it helped my organization?

High availability causes downtime service because it is needed to reboot VMs. Fault tolerance is limited by the four vCPUs. The service provider is not easy to integrate via API like OpenStack.

What is most valuable?

vCloud Director, because we may use it as the dashboard for providing cloud services. vCenter  vSphere, because it helps us in the management of thousands of VMs in the coverage UI.

What needs improvement?

The SDK/API to help SPs (service providers) provide the pay-as-you-go business model in cloud service.

JP
Systems Security Administrator at Twin River Casino
Dynamic deployment of new servers is critical

What is our primary use case?

Standard commercial environment.

How has it helped my organization?

A gold standard of server virtualization.

What is most valuable?

vMotion NSX Dynamic deployment of new servers is critical.

What needs improvement?

Improvements to the vCenter server appliance are still needed, especially the HTML5.
TR
Network Administrator
Video Review
Allows us to run our critical business workloads at speed and keep them highly available

What is our primary use case?

My primary use case for the product is testing Home Lab. I was involved in the early vSphere 6.7 beta. I wanted to see what the new features were, how it worked. I'm using it currently in my Home Lab for testing lots of the different products as a vSphere-base for vSAN, NSX, running the latest vCenter, etc. Some of the critical workloads that I'm running in my vSphere environment are Exchange, SQL, various different application servers, and those have to be up and available at all times, and vSphere does that for us. It gives us High Availability, failover, vMotion capability for load… more »

• "The most valuable features for me are a very easily scalable infrastructure. I can have a couple of hosts to do basic workloads. I can have a lot of hosts to do a lot of workloads. vSAN integrates my storage so I don't need an external storage SAN. I love having everything integrated in the same UI. The new HTML5 interface doesn't require any plugins anymore and it's super-fast."
  • "An improvement could be allowing a "dark mode" for the interface. I think the HTML5 client is a little bit hard to read. It's all white. It's a little bit bright on the eyes. A lot of us IT guys view in the dark."

What other advice do I have?

We do not currently use VMware Cloud on AWS. If I had to rate vSphere from one to ten - version 6.7 - I would say right now it's probably about a ten.
Windows Virtualization Engineer at a tech vendor with 5,001-10,000 employees
Video Review
The content library option will help us meet our requirements going forward

What is our primary use case?

We have three different types of environments: internal cloud, managed hosting, and VDA. We use VMware vSphere as the main product to accomplish this. VMware is now the main backbone in our company. We are not using VMware cloud on AWS. We are in PoC mode. We may use it in another six months to a year.

• "Since we have an internal cloud, suddenly people may require 1000 or 2000 VMS in something. We have options to analyze and make sure we have enough scalability."
  • "We previously had a hard time using tech support."

What other advice do I have?

I would rate vSphere as a nine out of 10. I will recommend the solution, but there are some steps to take first. There are some VMware videos to view and some KB articles to read, which are available, regarding compatibility. I would recommend them to go through everything. Go through the KB articles, then I will recommend them to implement that one. An important criteria for choosing a vendor is evaluating how a company behaves. We will review their past history, the current market, and the value of that product. Then, we will see whether that product can used for our requirement. Based on…
TC
Internship Student at na
Distributed vSwitch and vSphere are the two most valuable features

What is our primary use case?

Server virtualization.

How has it helped my organization?

Consolidation and normalization.

What is most valuable?

Distributed vSwitch, and vSphere.

What needs improvement?

Improvement in price.

Principal Consultant at a tech consulting company with 1-10 employees
Gathering all of the hosts together to create one single pool across the enterprise is a terrific feature, but the integration between multiple nodes needs improvement

What is our primary use case?

We started using this just for virtualization, but now we have gone into creating private cloud features for our customers.

• "Gathering all of the hosts together to create one single pool across the enterprise is a terrific feature."
  • "It needs to integrate better between multiple modules."

What other advice do I have?

VMware alone cannot offer all the features that customers require. There are times when the differential cost of the customer is not feasible. In addition, there are times when the requirements, in terms of API, build up and the connectivity to the outside world is more important. People need to decide on their own whether this is a good solution or if an OpenStack solution is the better choice.
Deputy Manager IT at a financial services firm with 51-200 employees
It is a centralized platform for hypervisoring that speeds up the migration between the nodes

What is our primary use case?

It is a powerful solution which enables us to take a snapshot and clone any virtual machine. It is also a centralized platform for hypervisoring that speeds up the migration between the nodes.

• "It is a powerful solution that enables us to take a snapshot and clone any version of machine."
  • "This solution should have a better backup policy. Furthermore, there should be an ability to expose the universal machine. In the current version, you need to shutdown and use an offline virtual machine to backup."
Azure Infrastructure Architect at Wireless Car
It is a fast, responsive solution that is easy to use

What is our primary use case?

I primarily use vSphere for management. It is very fast, responsive, and easy to use.

What is most valuable?

It has high clustering and availability features. These features are not found with other hypervisors.

What needs improvement?

I would like to see VMware head towards a more GPU friendly environment.

The stability is high.

I also have experience with Citrix ESXi.

The other options that we considered were Cisco, Dell EMC, and Nutanix.
PE
Head of Technological Architecture at a energy/utilities company with 10,001+ employees
We saved a lot of time and hardware with this solution

What is our primary use case?

We virtualize our infrastructure with this solution.

How has it helped my organization?

We saved a lot of time and hardware with this solution. It also prevents fewer incidents.

What needs improvement?

I would like to see more software as a service solutions.

More than five years.

The tech support is very good.

The setup was a bit complex at first. Now, it is more simple.  The implementation was fast.

The pricing is a little expensive, and the licensing is a bit complex.
SA
VP Cloud Business at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
It is fairly easy to use and has enhanced security, but the tech support is poor

What is our primary use case?

The primary use case is documentation.

How has it helped my organization?

I use this solution on AWS, which is pretty standard. It is fairly easy to use and has enhanced security.

What is most valuable?

From a feature set point of view, I am quite comfortable with it.

What needs improvement?

The pricing and tech support need improvement.

I have not scaled it very high. I have only used it in small implementations. I only have a total of 190 people using the solution.

The technical support is poor. We are in Australia, but we do not have the same level of support as the US…
Network Architect at a tech company with 10,001+ employees
It is easy to set up. Once you get it running, it doesn't break down. It just runs.

• "It is highly scalable. We need to scale out and up, and we can do that with vSphere. We can easily add more storage, drives, or memory."
  • "We stopped using a lot of cloud services. However, I see that VMware has integrated with Amazon Cloud. We will now to have to move everything to the cloud."

What other advice do I have?

Price is not everything to me. Even though price may put a burden on a company, if you are trying to solve something for your company, the more expensive solution may help you run your environment smoothly. Then, it is worth the expense.
CR
Pre-sales engineer
A solid solution for backups and security

What is our primary use case?

We use this product as a solution for backups and security.

What needs improvement?

The functionalities and management of the product demonstrations need improvement.

Three to five years.

It is a stable solution.

It is highly scalable. We can add new hardware and expand the infrastructure easily.

The tech support is good.

The setup was easy to install and deploy. It took one or two days for deployment.

The pricing is expensive but we really do not have…
Founder Director at a tech services company with 11-50 employees
It has allowed us to have the flexibility of moving around our workloads on different machines, and not having to worry if anything is down.

What is our primary use case?

It is primarily for virtualization.

• "As an end-user, I would say it has allowed us to have the flexibility of moving around our workloads on different machines, and not having to worry if anything is down."
  • "In addition, I think some of the backup features or the prediction features can be improved."
TN
System Administrator at a energy/utilities company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Video Review

What is our primary use case?

I use it as systems administrative management tool. I use VMware vSphere, vCenter, and vSphere ESXi. We do not use VMWare cloud on AWS.

• "The ability to to virtualize systems and run those virtual workloads with a fewer number of servers is tremendous."
  • "I like the capability of logging into one system, then being able to shift over to another system within that single pane of glass."
  • "The one area where I would love to see an improvement is the HTML5 client. It's great, but it could get better."

What other advice do I have?

I would rate it at a nine, because I don't believe any type of technology is a ten. There is always room for improvement. However, this is a solid nine. Spend time researching, investing, and testing for months. Spend a few months testing the product before implementing it to production. I don't have too much experience with the encryption or secure features of the new vSphere version.
MM
Vice President with 1-10 employees
The Scalability of the Solution is Good. You Can Scale Up to Maximum Levels.

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use this solution for replication purposes we have, and to back up information in HR (High Resolution) mode.

What needs improvement?

I think they should consider lowering the pricing of entry-level products. In addition, I think they should come up with a backup feature that is more product enrichment-based. It should be a full-fledged backup solution. It just is not there right now.

More than five years.

The stability of the solution is quite stable.

The scalability of the solution is good. You can scale up to maximum levels. We currently have 2000 users. This requires four engineers…
Head - Server and Storage at a financial services firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
The DRS feature is helpful to my organization.

What is our primary use case?

My primary use case for this solution is the DRS feature of the solution.

• "The DRS feature of this solution is a very valuable feature."
  • "From my point of view, my advice is to design the solution properly the first time."

What other advice do I have?

From my side, the advice would be to design it properly the first time. Have proper capacity planned out, and don't just create over-provision in the production environment. Best you can do with provisioning with production, you definitely need to have some capacity sizing done properly. And, that goes in not for just this product but any virtualization product that a company implements. You do not want to overload the hardware. You have to think about the capabilities of the end-user.
IT Infrastructure Architect at a retailer
We have seen a tremendous performance boost with 100% uptime

What is our primary use case?

Our main use case for the product is we want to do virtualization. We want to save costs on the physical hardware because we were running some big workloads on the physical hardware that we migrated over to VMware. In terms of the retail applications which we are running on the physical hardware, we have now virtualized them.

• "We have seen a tremendous performance boost. From when we started this VMware engagement in 2016 until now, we have seen around a 70 percent performance boost. This is a good number."
  • "There is still room for improvement with the HTML5 Web Client. They are working on it, as I can see on their blog. However, there is still room for improvement in the newer features that they can push into it."

What other advice do I have?

I will rate vSphere a ten out of ten, as I'm a huge fan of vSphere. Please look into this solution. You can have it, test it, and download it for 60 days, then you can test it yourself decide what is best for you. We don't have VMware cloud on AWS, but we have plan to go on it in six months. The most important thing when choosing a vendor: We look for performance, return on investment, and tech support. Tech support is very important for us in day-to-day tasks. These are the things that we look for in a vendor.
CB
Chief Technology Officer at Keeforce
Video Review
Easy to use, anybody can figure out how to power on or create a VM

What is our primary use case?

My primary use case of VMware vSphere 6.7 is that I manage some 100 clients who are using this product in their day-to-day work. These are businesses that use it. It runs the core of their networks. It runs their business. It is critical for them to be up and running, so vSphere is pretty important for them. The mission-critical application that we run on vSphere is our main program that we use to actually monitor all of our customers. We have hundreds of customers. Our main application of remote monitoring runs in our vSphere environment. We also run our Exchange, which is critical. That's… more »

• "The built-in encryption of vSphere really helps us to secure our customers, especially customers in the medical field who need to be HIPAA compliant. Being able to encrypt the VM itself helps out a ton."

What other advice do I have?

The best advice I could give somebody looking to implement the solution is definitely to download the trial because you can try it out for free. Put it on some test equipment and run it and you're going to love it. We don't have a customer that uses VMware Cloud on AWS, but we've been very involved in hoping the price gets cheaper so we can sell it.
    Instructor at MATC
    Video Review
    You see more responsiveness now with the HTML5 client. It feels like a much snappier product.

What is our primary use case?

The primary use case is spinning up lab VMs. We can spin up several hundred VMs for students to work with, which could be Windows-based or Linux-based. It's about creating these VMs, then destroying them as soon as they are done. So, there is a lot of creation and destruction. We also spin up VM environments as well. On the vSphere 6.7 product, the optimization is great. The older versions, 6.0 and 6.5 were sluggish. When your spinning and destroying things, it's a big deal to have higher performance.

• "You see more responsiveness, especially now with having the HTML5 client. It feels like a much snappier product."
    • "Having a virtualized infrastructure and being able to bring up Windows, Linux, and VMware within a virtualized environment brings more technology into the classroom. Without it, we couldn't do what we do."
    • "The biggest issue with stability is the SSO. That is still an issue as far as integrating it with Active Directory, and any large scale of it."
    • "The biggest thing to improve is to have more self-service in the portals. I would like to receive more help through the web interface."

What other advice do I have?

I would rate it as a nine out of ten. Go big with your hardware. You have to be willing to invest in the hardware platform. Storage is key. Make sure you have enough performance with it. When you're looking at the actual overall product, make sure you understand what third party offerings you need to put in. It could be something from VMware or one of the partners, but it's going to be more that just the VMware Suite. There will be one or two things you need to add to it. Specifically, monitoring or reporting will be the big draws. I don't have a percentage for the performance boost of the…
    Cloud Solutions Architect at Clouditalia Telecomunicazioni
    Video Review
    All our daily operations are faster with HTML 5 and vCSA makes it faster and more stable

What is our primary use case?

Our main use case of vSphere is as the lower layer of a cloud service provider. It's the basis for offering our services through vCloud Director to our customers.

What other advice do I have?

The built-in features such as encryption - even including TPM module 2.0, are good, but still not useful for us, just because we don't have a lot of requests for this. The mission-critical applications - more or less all are critical applications. vCenter keeps all the virtual machines of our customers and we don't know what's on those virtual machines. For us, every one of them - not knowing what is inside - is critical. That is for the vSphere used for resources. For the vSphere that we use for management, the critical ones are the infrastructure applications, the ones that keeps the…
    RV
    Chief Architect at RoundTower Technologies
    Video Review
    TPM and virtual machine encryption provide more security for our financial and healthcare customers

What is our primary use case?

It's running mission-critical and business-critical workloads for our customers, and the experience has been positive. The mission-critical apps include core banking systems, core healthcare systems, artificial intelligence. And highly transactional workloads are also great fits for vSphere 6.7.

What other advice do I have?

Partner with the right partner because not all partners are the same. And have a strategy in mind. Have a design in place, the logical design. What functions are you trying to achieve? What business problems are you trying to solve? And then go ahead and do your due diligence with testing, etc. Once you involve the partner and you're implementing, make sure you have proper testing, have a soft launch, and then a go-live, so that you've got a risk-free solution. That's where a lot of customers go wrong. They don't do their due diligence, and they don't properly launch, and they have the wrong…
    MC
    Technical Support at a energy/utilities company with 5,001-10,000 employees
    It is a fast, and expedient solution. It performs our TCO easily.

What is our primary use case?

We are using the VMware vSphere product to virtualize our servers and we are very succesful. We are very satisfied.

What is most valuable?

It provides a new environment in an expedient manner. It is a better use of resources between the servers. As we can use these resources better, it helps our TCO (Total Cost of Ownership) analysis.

What needs improvement?

We would like VMware to add capacity to add more equipment. We also think it could improve with the hyper-converged.

It is very stable.

It is very scalable. We like that it is very functional and it has ability to…
    JM
    Engineering Manager at Turnkey Cyber Solutions
    User

What is our primary use case?

Enterprise Infrastructure. We are distributed across the nation and are primarily all remote employees. I was able to build our private cloud with the tool.

How has it helped my organization?

What is most valuable?

Virtualization of our environment has made our carbon footprint, the real estate necessary and the ease of deployment in time savings significant.

What needs improvement?

The thick client had features that were removed from the HTML5 web console and it has caused a learning curve deficiency. Training could be more customer-centric.

JH
    Lead IT Systems Engineer at a tech consulting company with 10,001+ employees
    Video Review
    VCHA is a nice redundancy feature, while VMFS-6 for using auto UNMAP on data stores is a quality of life improvement

What is our primary use case?

My primary use case for vSphere 6.7 is that it's used strategically as a management plain for all 2,100 ESXi hosts across our environment. In terms of mission-critical apps, I couldn't tell you, because I operate the public cloud and we don't really care what our customers use it for. We do not use VMware Cloud on AWS yet but it is something we are exploring.

• "Most valuable features of vSphere 6.7, for us, at the management level would be: VCHA is a nice redundancy feature that they added in v6.7. I like the quality of life improvements with the VMFS-6 for using auto UNMAP on the data stores. And we really appreciate the improvements to the Clarity UI where we can manage Update Manager (VUM) and our vSAN stack within the modern interface."
    • "The solution is also very simple and efficient to manage. Features that have made it simple and easy to manage include the newer VAMI for the V-center appliance, it's very easy to see what version we are at, and very easy to upgrade to the next version. The fact that we can now use VCHA at the appliance level just decreases our chance of having an outage because so many of our customers rely on the API interface for V-center."

What other advice do I have?

We don't use any of the built-in security features but I do appreciate that vSphere 6.7 is inherently more secure in that it's limited, by default, to using TLS 1.2. I would rate the solution to be a nine (out of ten) but I think they're steadily creeping towards a ten with some of the post-GA releases I've seen.
      Systems Engineer at BYU Idaho
      Video Review
      End-user interface is more efficient in v6.7, can be used from phone, laptop, and any OS

What is our primary use case?

The use case is that we want to upgrade to the new features and functionality of version 6.7. We run several SQL Servers on there, Active Directory Servers, file servers, web servers; multiple servers running on it.

• "The main benefit of the version 6.7 is that it makes end-users able to use the interface much more effectively. They don't have to install a client on their machine, they can do it from their phone, their laptop, their tablet, any OS, anytime. It's a better experience for the end-user."
      • "Ease-of-Use; The solution is very simple to use and to manage. Updates are simple. The biggest feature that enables the ease of use is the fact that you can update via the web interface. With a couple of clicks, the update is done; no manual intervention, you just click Update and it automatically reboots the server for you and you're back up and going again."
      • "It would be nice to see it a little more tightly integrated with the patching solution so you could do it in one pane of glass. Right now, you have to jump back and forth. It's still not difficult, but you have to jump back and forth to do your update definitions and then go back and actually do the updates themselves."

What other advice do I have?

Anybody who's looking to research this, to upgrade in the future, should go for it. It's a very easy upgrade. The features are very beneficial. It's very worth the time to update. It's a much easier solution for the future, and it's a better experience for all involved. Regarding using VMware Cloud on AWS, we use AWS right now, but for our backup solutions, is all. Cold backup, long-term storage out to the cloud, is all we do right now. For us, the biggest criteria for selecting a vendor, right now, are the pricing and the support. Because we are higher education, we have to find the best…
      SK
      Senior System Administrator at a university with 501-1,000 employees
      Video Review
      Quick provisioning allows us to respond more quickly to the needs of the business

What is our primary use case?

Primary use case: data center virtualization. It's performing well. We're really happy with vSphere as a virtualization platform. In terms of the built-in security features, we use none of them. I really couldn't tell you much at all about that. Mission-critical apps would be our student information system - that one is running on PeopleSoft - student portals, also PeopleSoft. Those are the mission-critical ones that we're running on VMware. There's other stuff that is critical, but I wouldn't say that it's mission-critical.

• "Most valuable features are quick provisioning, High Availability, and DRS for balancing workload."

What other advice do I have?

Aim for simple, go for fewer hosts with bigger resources, depending of course of on what you need. Don't try to do everything at once. Start with a basic setup and work up from there. We did not really see a performance boost with version 6.5. Regarding the most important criteria when selecting a vendor, it needs to be an industry-leading solution, needs to be easy, simple to set up, not an entire ecosystem of things that I need to deploy to get their system working. Ideally, I want something that we can set up in a day. I'd give vSphere about a nine out of ten. There is still stuff to work…
        Information Systems Analyst at Sandag
        Video Review
        We can do VM encryption on the fly, adhere to PCI DSS, and pass our audit without issue

What is our primary use case?

The primary use case for the product is, we use it as our core infrastructure to power all of our servers as well as any kind of application that runs tolling for the region. For mission-critical applications that we use this for, it's mostly for proprietary applications that were specifically built to run tolling. So all of our tolling applications run on vSphere 6.7.

• "In the past, we struggled with VM encryption. We couldn't encrypt the virtual machines with older versions of vSphere without some kind of third-party tool. Now, with 6.7, it's all in the application itself, in vSphere. We no longer have to procure additional products to meet that requirement. We can just do it on the fly, and pass our audit with no issues."
        • "The most valuable feature would be enhanced, what we call, Linked Mode to link our disaster recovery site to our primary site across different vCenters, without being required to be broken apart. Meaning, we have identity management and the actual vCenter servers split. We can actually do embedded now, thanks to vSphere 6.7."
        • "There is definitely room for improvement and that improvement should be in the licensing and the simplicity of procuring additional licenses or additional VMware products. Right now, it's very complex."
        • "VMware has amped up how frequently they release new versions and that adds instability to a stable environment."

What other advice do I have?

We do use AWS, but not for VMware Cloud on AWS. We only use it for storage. I'd give vSphere a nine out of ten. The only reason I give it a nine is because VMware has amped up how frequently they release new versions and that adds instability to a stable environment. But other than that, I would've given it a ten.
        VP of Product Engineering at Navisite
        MSP
        Improved our organization by delivering solid stability to our clients in a cost competitive fashion

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case for vSphere is not a primary use case, because we actually offer a pretty wide breadth of services. Our key use cases revolve around hosted private cloud, as well as being the underpinning virtualization platform for our multi-tenant vCloud Director based cloud. We don't use VMware cloud on AWS.

• "vMotion radically changes the way we think about how we can operate a large infrastructure, and notably, in terms of proactive maintenance."
        • "An important vSphere feature from a security perspective is VM encryption. As is the right thing to do in this day and age, security needs to be the number one concern for any IT operator. While there are security solutions which can be delivered at the physical, hardware layer, they don't necessarily address all of the requirements from an encryption perspective. Being able to have VM-centric, VM-level encryption is a great feature of vSphere."
        • "As we continue to push mission-critical workloads into vSphere, and those workloads are not readily protected at the application layer for availability, continuing to increase the size limitations on FT-protected VMs would be a great advance."
        • "It's inherently complex. Operating a large virtual infrastructure is not an easy task for anyone."

What other advice do I have?

If I had to give a rating of one to ten for vSphere, I would give it a nine. No software nor hardware is perfect, but vSphere is good. That's why I would say a nine. There is still some room for improvement, like larger FTVMs, continued evolution, and keeping pace with the scalability of underlying physical infrastructure. For somebody looking to evaluate a virtualization platform such as vSphere or any of its competing open source solutions, like KVM or other virtualization platforms, one of the key considerations is to look at TCO. vSphere may seem expensive upfront, and there may be some…
        System Administrator at City of Sioux Falls
        Video Review
        HA and DRS make sure our machines are always available, while encrypted VMs enhance security

What is our primary use case?

The primary use case for vSphere is managing and controlling all of our virtual environments from the servers, and the storage resources, to all of the guest virtual machines. As far as mission-critical apps go, the most important that I see is our computer-aided dispatch software which runs all of the police, fire, and ambulance services for the city. That that is the most important thing that we do, to simply protect lives and protect property. Other kinds of very critical workloads that we have to have include an enterprise-resource-planning system that most everything goes through. The… more »

• "One of the most valuable features that vSphere has is its HA and DRS protection, where it can simply make sure that all the machines are always where they need to be and how they need to be taken care of. We have a lot of servers and services for emergency services for police, fire, and the like. We have the ability to use DRS as Anti-Affinity Rules to make sure that those redundant server pairs always stay away from each other. But then, if anything would happen to one of them, we have HA to be able to come up and bring it right up and going again."
        • "Security-Features; vSphere does offer quite a bit of security stuff built-in. It is nice to know that we can have the virtual machines encrypted, so that if somebody were to get a hold of any of those files, we don't have to worry about them actually being used. Since we do have so many different departments and areas with a lot of people that need access into the solution, we can use the role-based access controls to really restrict and control who can do what, so everybody can do what they need to do, but they can't do anything else past that."
        • "vSphere does offer quite a bit of security stuff built-in. It is nice to know that we can have the virtual machines encrypted, so that if somebody were to get a hold of any of those files, we don't have to worry about them actually being used."
        • "I met with the lead solutions architect for vSphere, and one of the things that I really kind of sat him down on was, "What's the deal between these Custom Attributes and these Tags? What are you trying to do with that?" He said, "So here's the deal. I know that they're halfway done and we have a vision of where they're all going, but we'll get it there." That that would be a great ability, to keep all that metadata about your virtual machines inside the solution and staying with the machines."

What other advice do I have?

As an overall solution, I'd probably give it a nine out of ten. It is very rock solid in everything that it does and it simply works with everything, and it does a pretty darn good job doing it.
        Sr. Operations Engineer at Kamstrup
        Video Review
        I'm able to schedule backup for the VCSA and boot just the OS, not the entire server

What is our primary use case?

The main use case of this product and its performance is server virtualization, and the performance is pretty good compared to what we were used to with the previous version. The previous version for us was version 6.0. There are built-in security features, TPM and encryption, which are something we're going to use at a later stage. Right now, we are waiting for a hardware refresh to be able to support a TPM version too. But it's something I'm really looking forward to. The mission-critical apps and workloads running on vSphere are just about everything. Our municipality covers everything from… more »

• "For me, the most valuable feature would be the EVC, but EVC has been changed to be per-VM which makes it possible for us to migrate the VMs to cloud and not take into account what hardware they're running on. Also, a big improvement from the previous version is that I'm now able to schedule backup for the VCSA. That is, in my opinion, a huge improvement. The last thing that I think is really great is, I'm not able to boot the OS and not the entire server. That's going to save me a lot of time."
        • "Where I think there is room for improvement is in the HTML5 interface in vCenter. What it lacks, for me, is integrating to VMware's other products, especially NSX."
        • "I would like to see a more automated upgrade, where you take the other products into account, so you can upgrade the entire VMware stack from a single interface."

What other advice do I have?

My advice would be just get started as soon as possible. At the moment, we are not using VMware Cloud on AWS, but that's because we're still trying to get ahold of legislation because of GDPR. If I had to rate the product from one to ten, I would rate it at a nine. What could they do to bring it to a ten? In my opinion, it would be alignment with other products, and a more automated upgrade, where you take the other products into account, so you can upgrade the entire VMware stack from a single interface.
        Customer Engineer at a tech vendor with 51-200 employees
        Video Review
        Gives us the ability to bring up and tear down pods, nodes, and clusters quickly and easily

What is our primary use case?

We are in the IT manufacturing industry. This solution has performed wonderfully. We do research and development into how our products can be best used in a vCenter/vSphere environment. Mission-critical applications we use it for include vSan, HA, DRS. They're all very, very important to us.

• "The redundancy, the failover, the ability to stay up and running 24/7, all the various tools that are in there, high-availability, DRS, are very critical to us."
        • "My biggest suggestion would be some kind of a mechanism - and it's almost an AI-type thing, a Siri/Cortana - for where to find how to do certain things. If there was the ability to just type in a basic question and say, "How do I change the VM settings for this?" and it could bring me right there, that would be really awesome."

What other advice do I have?

Do your homework, figure out what you need. This really relates back to the question about the licensing. Do your homework, find out what version you need, think to the future, and figure out what you might need in five years and invest in that now, because that stepping stone just gets easier and easier if you plan for the future now. We have not done a lot with the built-in security features. Some of our customers are inquiring about it. That really is their own choice to use. It's not something that we develop products for when we have not begun to use it internally in our own environment…
        System Admin with 1,001-5,000 employees
        Video Review
        Increased performance and streamlined VM management for our back-end engineers

What is our primary use case?

We use vSphere to manage VMs, route our infrastructure, changing settings, remote desktopping, and providing services for the university. In terms of mission-critical apps, we use it for our Student Information System (SIS) to manage all student records and financial aid for all students on campus, along with databases and other web servers on campus.

What other advice do I have?

In terms of advice, I've looked at many different solutions out there and, right now, VMware is the only one that can provide all the different things that we needed it to do. When selecting a vendor, the most important criteria would be the ease of use, the benefits it has, the features. If we were to switch to someone else, they would have to have all the different features that VMware has currently. And then, price would come in last. I give it a nine out of ten because it has almost all the features we've needed and it's pretty much simple keeping it under control.
        RC
        Systems Engineer at Vestmark inc
        Seamless HA with vMotion, and being able to run vCenters in HA mode, are key for us

What is our primary use case?

We use vSphere for our production and DR infrastructure. We have all our critical machines on there: domain controllers, monitoring systems, ticketing systems, financial systems, billing systems, Test and Dev environments. For the most part, as far as vSphere is concerned, it's performed pretty awesomely. Sometimes the hardware doesn't work as well. Once we got VMware vCenter, once we got all that setup - did a PoC, proved that it worked - we did a big push. I led the project to move our entire internal infrastructure from physical to virtual. We haven't worked with VM Encryption or support… more »

• "The most valuable features are the seamless HA with vMotion and being able to run vCenters in HA mode."
        • "I'd like to get rid of the Flash Client. There are still some things we need to go in there and use it for, some plugins and other things aren't supported in the HTML5."

What other advice do I have?

Take your time to do the appropriate research and planning, so that it's sized appropriately. A lot of issues that I've seen are from either underlying hardware or resource constraints that aren't necessarily related to vSphere or VMware, rather that things weren't implemented appropriately. We do not you use VMware Cloud on AWS. Right now we just have on-prem for both production and DR. We are starting to move some small Dev environments to AWS. I haven't been a part of that project. From what I hear, there have been some ups and downs but, for the most part, I believe there has been positive…
        JL
        Systems Administrator at a pharma/biotech company with 51-200 employees
        Gives us greater flexibility, allows us to adapt our environment much more quickly

What is our primary use case?

The primary use case for us was to virtualize a small data center of about 30 guests. We use it for our Active Directory and Exchange servers. The solution has worked well. We're not yet using VMware Cloud on AWS or vSphere's built-in security features.

What other advice do I have?

Make use of the resources that are there. That's something we failed on when we first started. We started out thinking, "We're going to go with this company for storage, we're going to use Vsphere, etc.," and we just went in with a partner. As I went further along, I learned that there were a lot of built-in resources that I really didn't know I had access to. That was a bit tough. When selecting a vendor, the most important criterion for us, being a smaller IT department, is the support. Also, to a certain extent, the name is important, because when you're a small department you don't have…
        JK
        Desktop Support Supervisor at a financial services firm with 201-500 employees
        VMotion enables us to migrate easily, flexibly move machines around on the host

What is our primary use case?

Primary use-case would be updating our Gold/Masters for the Horizon environment. It works pretty well. We're still getting used to the HTML5 Client versus the old Flash-based Client. We use it for all of our servers, we have virtualized everything. The mission-critical things, for a bank like us, are the mainframe - it's the IBM iSeries - and our Saleslogix application. Those would be the two biggest ones, but we use it for all of our databases as well. We're 90 percent VMware, with hundreds of servers. It's been a pretty smooth transition. We just upgraded to 6.5. Hopefully, we'll be updated… more »

• "The most valuable feature is being able to VMotion and migrate easily, moving machines around on the host. I know DRS will take care of a lot about that, but there's still some manual intervention here and there, so the flexibility of it has been really good."
        • "I would like to see DRS for the GPU machines."

What other advice do I have?

It is quick to learn, it's not overly complicated. You don't have to spend a lot of time learning about it, at least from the usability perspective, once it has been set up, of course. It's really easy to use, easy to set up, easy to find what you're looking for, easy to manage. When selecting a vendor to work with, our biggest issue would be availability. We've had some issues with some vendors in the past where they were just too small. Being in Des Moines, we don't have a lot of options, other than bringing people in from other states, or even other countries, possibly. If we do have…
        AA
        Senior Network Engineer with 1,001-5,000 employees
        We even run our ERP environment, which is AIX, on vSphere

What is our primary use case?

The primary use case is to virtualize our physical environment and to decentralize management of the systems themselves. It has been performing very well. We use it for everything. About 95 percent of our environment is virtualized at this point. Even our ERP environment, which is AIX, runs on vSphere, ESXi is the host. We have implemented SRM for failing-over and having high availability and disaster recovery in our other data centers.

What other advice do I have?

If you're not on vSphere, you should get on it as soon as possible because it will only make your life easier. All the different innovations that have been coming out over the years have shown that it's only going to get better, especially with artificial intelligence, IoT, etc. With all the different technologies that are being proposed, VMware is always going to get better. From a technology standpoint, anybody who is in the industry needs to be on this because it just makes everything easier. We have been using the built-in security features such VM Encryptions and support for TPM and VBS…
        JA
        IT Infrastructure Engineer at a retailer with 10,001+ employees
        Runs the back-end for all of our retail, point-of-sale systems

What is our primary use case?

The primary use cases for the solution are all of our production and DTQ. We're not using any of the built-in security features.

• "The vSphere Client always feels slow, and/or like it doesn't keep up with what I'm trying to do. So I usually use the thick client most of the time."

What other advice do I have?

It's the only virtual solution I've ever used.
          Lead Systems Engineer at a tech services company with 11-50 employees
          Changes made to VMFork instant cloning enable HA and DRS on a parent virtual machine

What is our primary use case?

Our main use case for this is that it's the foundation of our company. What our company, MacStadium, does is provide virtual environments for customers to do iOS development on Apple hardware. And the foundation for that, for creating the private cloud, is vSphere. In terms of mission-critical apps, it's utilized mainly for iOS development. So customers will use the API for vCenter to automate things. They can do CICD, where they can spin up and spin down virtual machines, rapidly, and provide them to their internal groups or to their customers to do iOS development. It has actually been… more »

• "The most valuable feature would be the slight changes they've made to VMFork instant cloning, in which they have abstracted out the parent-child relationship in cloning, in which certain features, like HA and DRS, are now usable on that parent virtual machine. That is wildly amazing and something that wasn't available until 6.7."
          • "In the past, little changes have broken things in vSphere. Going from 6.0, which worked perfectly fine on the Mac Pro, there were certain changes in hardware drivers, when 6.5 came out. Some were no longer present or had been deprecated. As a result, it didn't work on the Mac Pro anymore, which was business critical."

What other advice do I have?

In terms of advice, especially if you are on things like Hyper-V or other products that I've touched, the simplicity and scalability of the vSphere product has been solid. For another individual who is in the IT or engineering fields, I wouldn't go with anything else. One thing a lot of people don't realize or know about is that Xcode and OS X are closely tied to the versioning of vSphere and what features will be enabled. Coming out this September is MacOS 10.14 and that brings with it the need and requirement to run APFS, which is only supported in 6.7. So we have an abundance of customers…
          RP
          IT Director at Jewish Family Service
          VMotion gives us the ability to move things on the fly; to be scalable, agile, flexible

What is our primary use case?

The primary use case is to save us a lot of money. Really, the primary use case is to be flexible, to be scalable, to be agile, as the company changes. As a non-profit, we really change often. New programs come in every day. vSphere gives us the ability to be flexible The mission-critical apps we use it for include Exchange, SQL, Active Directory, document management systems. We use it for everything. While we haven't seen a performance boost for these apps, they're flexible. That's really what it's about. I'm still learning how to make it boost performance. We haven't used any of the built-in… more »

• "VMotion is the biggest feature. It gives us the ability to move things on the fly."
          • "I do not find it to be simple and efficient to manage. The tools, the interface to manage it, are a pain. In the latest version, they moved us to web-only, the Web Client and it's terrible. It's slow. It crashes. It's annoying. I used the Web Client in the older version and was happy. I would go back to the regular thick client but I don't have that option anymore, so I am always fighting it."

What other advice do I have?

In terms of advice to a colleague, I'm giving it every day. I take the guy out to lunch to beat him up with vSphere. I've got a buddy who is a Hyper-V guy. He's says, "But it's free," and I keep saying, "Well, you get what you pay for." He says, "But it never gives me any problems." I say, "Then why are you calling me every week asking me why Exchange is doing stupid things? I don't have those problems and I run exactly the same version you do." It's stable. It just works. I don't have to think about it. Some of the new stuff that's coming out is pretty exciting, as we start thinking of moving…
          LG
          Server Engineer at a financial services firm with 201-500 employees
          Enables server consolidation and saves us rack space

What is our primary use case?

We use it to manage our VM servers, everything we have. We're about 98 percent virtualized and we're using VMware vSphere and it works great. It performs great. In terms of mission-critical apps, we mainly host a lot of our accountants, so we have a lot of accounting software. It's really mission-critical to where we have to have these apps running 24 hours a day, seven days a week. With vSphere, we're able to use VMotion, HA, and Fault Tolerance to keep our apps up and running for them. We don't use VM Encryption or support for TPM or VBS. We don't yet use VMware Cloud on AWS but we're… more »

• "Server consolidation. Getting rid of our physical servers and going virtual is saving us some money in overall rack space."
          • "It's extremely simple. Installing the ESXi is a piece of cake and then putting servers on there is really simple and having HA and building a cluster for our VM servers. It's very easy."

What other advice do I have?

Give it a shot, check it out how easy it is. It just works. I rate it a ten out of ten. I'm a big advocate of VMware.
            JS
            Network Administrator at a mining and metals company with 201-500 employees
            It saves us money because we don't have to buy as many physical servers

What is our primary use case?

We use it to virtualize our server infrastructure.

• "We find the solution simple and efficient to manage."
            • "We use it to virtualize our server infrastructure. Virtualization has made it easier for us to manage our environment. We can manage it from location, the vSphere web client."
            • "They should make it more efficient and stable."

What other advice do I have?

We are just learning about VM Encryption, TPS, and VBS right now. We just moved to VMware ESX 6.7. While I don't have a lot of experience in it yet, but we're looking to implement them. Since we have had VMware, we've had no problems with it. It's easy to manage. It works very well. Other competitors may not offer as much. You can do a lot with VMware. You get different plugins, so it's a great product. Just go with it. Most important criteria when selecting a vendor: * Cost * Stability.
            PC
            Windows Systems Administrator with 1,001-5,000 employees
            Stable solution that meets all of our needs

What is our primary use case?

It's how we manage our server infrastructure virtually.

What other advice do I have?

I would absolutely recommend it. vSphere has been at the last two jobs that I've had and it's solid. It's a definite nine out of 10. I'm not sure that there's anything out there that would be better. Microsoft has a hypervisor but I think VMware is more feature-complete.
            SM
            IT Professional with 5,001-10,000 employees
            We have seen a significant lift in terms of delivery of applications

What is our primary use case?

I'm building a VDI center and a second-tier user. In terms of mission-critical apps, we use it for our executive pool of users to secure their everyday work. Sometimes we use it for distance education programs as well. It has been performing pretty well.

• "Its most valuable features are reliability, for sure, and quickness in getting the job done. I can spin off 100 or 200 machines in the matter of half an hour."

What other advice do I have?

Test it, give it a try, and see how it goes. Definitely try it. For me, the most important criteria when looking for a vendor are * reliability * ease of use * customer support. I would rate it at eight out of 10 because there is still room for improvement. However, we are not using the full extent of the product so I might be wrong. There is some room for improvement in the ease of use.
              delete at a tech vendor with 501-1,000 employees
              Enables me to spin up and bring down virtuals and use DRS for load-balancing

What is our primary use case?

Use case is to manage virtuals; spin them up, bring them down, create them, and a little maintenance on them. It performs okay for me. We do DRS for load-balancing. We're looking at doing Microsoft SQL virtual on it, probably without clustering; replacing physical clusters with it; and job scheduling; all probably in Q1.

• "It would be nice if it had auto-scaling, no need to select CPU or select database size. Let it auto-scale, let it use the features that VMware has, instead of having to preselect."

What other advice do I have?

Do a side-by-side comparison. Try it, stay away from Microsoft. The Microsoft solution of being everything to everybody does not fit. Never fits. Everything that we do is strictly within our own company. So we don't do encryption, although we might look at that. We don't really have a need for TPM. It's a pretty controlled environment. I would rate vSphere an eight out of 10. To make it a 10 they need to get rid of Flash and then apologize for having used Flash, have it auto-scale, and no Java.
                CH
                Infrastructure with 5,001-10,000 employees
                All my data centers show up in one view and performance statistics help reveal major issues

What is our primary use case?

We run, easily, 98 percent of our servers out of vSphere. We pretty much have nothing physical anymore. In terms of mission-critical apps, our entire ERP environment is all virtualized, outside of the rack. Everything in our organization, our student database records, employee records, all of our management stuff, is in VMware.

• "What I like about it is being able to see my entire organization, especially with some of the newer enhanced links. All of my data centers show up in one view and I can see every server that's running. I also get performance statistics so if there are issues, major problems going on, I can see them."
                • "From the interface, you see how much CPU utilization and RAM utilization that each one of those hosts is giving you. You can tell ahead of time when you need to start expanding the environment. And with VMotion, you expand the environment and then let DRS have at it and walk away."
                • "vSphere itself is great when you don't need to make updates, but any time you have to touch it, unfortunately it's always the little bit of a fight to get it to do what you want."

What other advice do I have?

In term of advice, obviously some of the SSL stuff would be good to know upfront because the requesting of the certificates, while it's gotten easier, can still be a little bit tricky. There are so many of them that you need. Knowing the right steps for selecting what you need can be challenging. We're not using VM encryption, support for TPM or VBS right now, but we're looking at implementing some of that stuff to improve our security stance. We're slowly attempting to push our database administrators into moving into VMware. They're reluctant, of course, but we have not given them much of a…
                DP
                IT Systems Engineer at a retailer with 10,001+ employees
                Being able to dynamically allocate memory and processors has boosted performance

What is our primary use case?

We're virtualizing the whole infrastructure of the company. We are only keeping some of the bigger servers as bare metal, but aside from that, everything is being virtualized. We use vSphere for mission-critical apps including SAP and part of our internal development in C+, for the solution that collects everything for the buyers.

• "We have seen a performance boost because we have been able to more dynamically allocate either memory or processors."
                • "It's a very nice tool to be able to reduce your footprint, consolidate servers, and accumulate several servers in a high-density configuration."
                • "Workloads; We use vSphere for mission-critical apps including SAP and and part of our internal development in C+, for the solution that collects everything for the buyers."
                • "Performance; We have seen a performance boost because we have been able to more dynamically allocate either memory or processors."

What other advice do I have?

Analyze your infrastructure first, see what you want to do, and then start deploying everything from zero.
                  Systems Engineerineering Manager at a wholesaler/distributor with 51-200 employees
                  We use its customization to prevent network and DNS collisions to the router

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case is for labs, development workloads, and engineering. I use it for our processing development on our product. Our company does printing technologies for gaming, particularly for gaming casinos in the gaming industry. It's working great. We are looking at going to VMware Cloud on AWS. I'm familiar with the SDDC software solutions, but cost always comes in to play. I would like to find out more, as it sounds a lot cheaper now. We already use Azure for our deployment packages. Right now, it is just FTP, but we could use somewhere to actually manage the infrastructure… more »

• "The VMware community is always there and it is a valuable resource."
                  • "I use the ESXi a lot for my users to create their own templates and control their own VMs without my interaction."
                  • "I use customization to prevent any network and DNS collisions to the router."

What other advice do I have?

Go for it. It's easy to use and manage. Most important criteria when selecting a vendor: support.
                    KW
                    IT Analyst I at Sacramento City College
                    Virtualization makes it easier for us to back up, maintain, and manage our servers

What is our primary use case?

vSphere allows us to virtualize our campus servers and our student environment. We run vCenter within vSphere, so we have about 300 or 400 student desktop workstations that we run at any given time. We are able to customize our students' experience very quickly, very easily, and are able to make it mobile from different computer labs on campus. We're also exploring opening it up so students would be able to remote into their VDI workstations from offsite. We're also looking into wrapping everything up with Workspace ONE, so we can virtualize more applications and let them have more of an MDM… more »

• "Ease of support is one of the main features that we have with it. We're able to take Snapshots before doing updates to make it easy to roll back if something does happen to go wrong."
                    • "The visibility that we have of our VMs is also important. What's being applied? Who has management of them? Laying it out in a virtual environment allows us customization for our students. We're able to respond to the students' needs much more quickly than we could in a physical environment."
                    • "I would like to see a little bit more visibility regarding errors. When an error does occur, there are times where it says "Unknown error" or something to that effect, and it doesn't necessarily give you a lot of metrics. If you go online and you give a description of it, normally the VMware forums can help you find out what it is, but I'd like to see a little bit more visibility from the software itself regarding what's going on: "This went wrong, this is why.""

What other advice do I have?

Plan your environment well, determine what your needs are, and then try to bump that up by 20 percent; give yourself a little bit of future expanding. That way you don't have to leap off and buy a lot right away. Budget for the future if you can. Put a little bit away here and there. Look at the virtual storage, you will save yourself a lot of headaches on configuring. The physical storage can be a pain. The virtual storage, once you get it in place then you don't have to manage it much. Make sure that you really have spec'd out your ESXi host so it can support your environment. Normally…
                    CT
                    IT Analyst at a manufacturing company with 10,001+ employees

What is our primary use case?

It's a virtualization service. The product is performing well. We are quite satisfied with it. We are looking into using VMware on AWS in the future.

• "We have seen an improvement in uptime. The whole hardware lifecycle process is easier."
                    • "On Vista, there should be a lot more new features. We would like to see more security features to harden our environment in the future."

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend trying the solution.
                    JH
                    Senior Systems Administrator at a consultancy with 5,001-10,000 employees
                    We have seen a significant performance boost for legacy apps, and we're able to rapidly scale workloads

What is our primary use case?

The primary use case is enterprise virtualization for server consolidation, energy conservation, data center space conservation, and overall efficiency and scalability. The mission-critical apps we use it for are everything from machine-learning to business processing to scientific research and development.

• "The most valuable features for us are DRS, VMotion, and, of course, some of the analytics that we were able to define to quantify our workloads and tell us how we are able to make our data center more efficient."
                    • "I'd like to see a little bit more integration for VDI. I think that Composer servers, security servers, broker servers with connections, I'm not sure they are necessary at this point. Perhaps they could have a lot of those functions baked directly into the hypervisor. It seems to me that if the hypervisor is scalable and flexible enough, that the processor and compute can handle all of that. Maybe we eliminate those other components for VDIs and have more mixed workloads: server workloads and desktop workloads all in the same hypervisor."

What other advice do I have?

I have recommended VMware over the at least 12 years now that I've been working directly with them and VMware's hypervisor products. I've recommended it to a lot of folks, and this goes back to the days when other players were involved; companies like Virtual Iron and Zen. VMware has always been a leader in that space and I foresee that they always will be. Although I work in government, we are actively pursuing VMware on Cloud and we are awaiting certain certifications to help drive the initiative. At the moment we're at a standstill with that. In over a decade, from where we started until…
                    IT Operations Services Manager at a energy/utilities company with 10,001+ employees
                    It is a single pane of glass that lets you access your hosts and VMs

What is our primary use case?

We use vSphere to monitor our ESX hosts and VMs. We use it on day-to-day basis. vCenter one of the first things employees open when they arrive to our offices. It is a good product. It has an array of things that you perform with it, and we use it all the time. We are planning to use AWS, but we are not using it yet.

• "It is a single pane of glass that lets you access your hosts and VMs."
                    • "We scale it both vertically and hortizonally. We have many data centers on it."
                    • "I would like to see AI in future releases."

What other advice do I have?

I would definitely recommend the product.
                    MH
                    Senior Systems Administrator at a transportation company with 1,001-5,000 employees
                    Having a lot of the encryption built in helps us with federal compliance

What is our primary use case?

Our use case is virtualization of hardware infrastructure, for return on investment cases. We have done pretty well with it. I'm really happy with it. The mission-critical apps we run on them include SQL; there is a lot of file sharing; there are a lot of websites and web servers running on them. There's some big data stuff for big science. We have to be able to digest lots of data and then pull analytics on it at a high-level, and be able to show big data in useful ways.

• "With the current compliance options that I have to go through, it's very nice to have a lot of the encryption built in. It checks a lot of boxes for the federal level so I don't have to either bolt something on or have something on top of it. Having it native and integrated into the system makes things much easier."
                    • "being able to manage a lot of servers in one pane of glass makes things a lot simpler. Basically, a lot of things just happen in one area. You can roll things over, move things around more dynamically, without having to hit multiple systems."
                    • "Valuable features include VHA, DRS, VMotion, and redundancy and failover; any DR situation."
                    • "Not having to buy something from a third-party to scan the actual hardware components, like the hard drives and the port containers and fan speeds; not having to bolt something on and go through another vendor, would be helpful."
                    • "the HTML version of things needs to get a little bit better. The vSphere side of things gets a little difficult to manage; right-click, in some browsers, doesn't work as well as it used to. I'm seeing a little bit of general latency that we didn't used to get with the thick client, although it's getting there."

What other advice do I have?

My advice is "do it". I rate vSphere at nine out of 10 because the HTML version of things needs to get a little bit better. The vSphere side of things gets a little difficult to manage; right-click, in some browsers, doesn't work as well as it used to. I'm seeing a little bit of general latency that we didn't used to get with the thick client. It's getting there. Version 6.71 brought some of those performance metrics back, but it's just hard to get from one end to the other. With the ever-changing federal requirements, we need to really strip down and minimize what can be done in the browsers…
                    PG
                    Senior Manager at a manufacturing company with 501-1,000 employees
                    We can easily pull reports and give access to people to look at specs or performance metrics

What is our primary use case?

We use it to manage multi-site, multi-regional implementations of VMware. We use the security end roles to give different tiers of access from the VM up to the VMware installation. We manage the roles and responsibilities within the security to do this. We do all the functionality inside vSphere. We use VMotion and DRS to manage some of our licensing issues that we have. With bigger software vendors, like Oracle, we use it to keep licenses and requirements compliant and keep VMs running on specific hardware. We use it for quite a few daily tasks: cloning and testing out patching. Then, we can… more »

• "Visibility: We can easily pull reports and give access to other people to look at specs or performance metrics."
                    • "When it comes to cross-regional (e.g., someone in the US managing the China vSphere implementations), it can be a somewhat slow. I would recommend increasing the speed. While there has already been improvement there, I would like to see more."

What other advice do I have?

* Look at the market and see what is supportable. How long can you support the product. VMware has the history. It has the people who can support it in the industry. * Look at the supportability of it. Look at the job market and how many people, from a staffing perspective, can support it. * Then, look at the cost, because I don't think cost is everything. Most important criteria when selecting a vendor: They are a leader and more innovative than the competitors.
                    CH
                    System Administrator at a energy/utilities company with 10,001+ employees
                    Gives us flexibility and provides our user base with ease of use

What is our primary use case?

We use it for VMware AirWatch/Workspace ONE: managing mobile devices.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend it highly. I have no complaints. We did a PoC with them and we have been using other products from VMware for years. The important criteria involved in choosing it were flexibility and ease of use for our user base. My advice, if you are going to implement it, is: Read the documentation and question the vendor carefully when doing the install.
                    CIO at a library with 201-500 employees
                    Allows us to build servers and hand them over to users so that they can "own" them

What is our primary use case?

We had almost 100 servers and we wanted to consolidate them and also make them movable, especially when we have to upgrade hardware. It also allowed us to create more testing environments, because we tended to buy new iron every time. We also want users to be able to “own” servers themselves, so that we would build them for them, hand them over and say, "Have fun".

What other advice do I have?

If you're managing more than five servers run over and get some vSpere Essentials. I think virtualization is the only way to go, whether you do it on-premise or in the cloud, nowadays. It doesn't make any sense once you get beyond a couple. I rate the solution an eight. Price would be the main thing, as well as the relative inaccessibility for end-users to be able to touch the product.
                    IT Manager at a construction company with 51-200 employees
                    Used for our VDI infrastructure and managing virtual machines

What is our primary use case?

The primary use is to manage all of our virtual machines/servers and the ESX host. It is performing well.

How has it helped my organization?

We use it to incorporate our infrastructure around one product.

What is most valuable?

Ease of access Manageability We use it for our VDI infrastructure and managing virtual machines.

What needs improvement?

I would like to see the UI incorporating all of the functionality that the thick client had.

It is very stable.

Scalability is great.

I have used the product my…
                    Desktop Support Specialist at Bank Independent
                    Makes managing your virtual servers easier and more centralized

What is our primary use case?

We use vSphere to manage our virtual servers. We have about 50 spread across our main company as well as another company that we own. We use them to manage the applications which are attached to different tasks.

How has it helped my organization?

It makes managing your virtual servers easier and more centralized.

What is most valuable?

Usability Convenience

What needs improvement?

It could use a smaller learning curve.

Three to five years.

It has been very stable since we did the most recent upgrade.

It is scalable.

What other advice do I have?

I would definitely recommend the product. …
                    Lead Administrator at Comcast
                    We don't have any downtime because it was built right

What is our primary use case?

We use it for call centers and providing server applications.

• "We don't have any downtime because it was built right."
                    • "Technical support is not that great. It is too slow."
                    • "They need to stop pushing code out so fast."

What other advice do I have?

I'm anxious for 7.0 to come out because I'm curious to see how the HTML will function. We keep hearing the web client will be better, and it's not. Bring back the fat client!
                    CW
                    Director at a financial services firm with 501-1,000 employees
                    Gives us high-availability, easier management, and a lower cost of support

What is our primary use case?

We use it for virtualization of approximately 90 percent of all of our computing. In terms of mission-critical apps, quite honestly we use it for the majority of them on the banking side: our financial apps, loan accounting, loan origination, etc.

• "The most valuable features are its flexibility and the ability to move workload."
                    • "Scalability is the big advantage of it. The product itself allows us to scale on the fly as we need it, and plan for the future."

What other advice do I have?

If you're not already looking at vSphere, you're probably behind. I don't really have any colleagues who aren't utilizing this product. I rate this solution as a nine out of 10 because I think you can always improve. But it's a tremendous product. We consider VMware a partner, we work with them closely.
                      JJ
                      Systems Administrator at a energy/utilities company with 51-200 employees

What is our primary use case?

We use it for about 90 percent of our corporate network. We have a separate vSphere for an ISP that we run on a private and public cloud, because we are an anti-cloud company.

• "We have removed the need for backups and going to the office at three in the morning to change a server. I do everything during my business hours. It gave me my life back."
                      • "Since it is riding inside of a multi-hardware environment, downtime is virtually nothing."
                      • "I would like them to move into having a containerized application to manage the vCenter."
                      • "I would like having something that works on a smaller screen, so we can get to it on our iPads and have it more touch-centric versus having to sit at a laptop."

What other advice do I have?

Do your homework and build it from the ground up. Set up a plan to replace everything and get started from the beginning as a full virtualized environment. It won't bite you later, which is one thing we were worried about, and we ended up having to do extra work to do small steps into virtualization. Most important criteria when selecting a vendor: * Interoperability with what I currently have and its ability to work with others. * Support. * Price.
                      GW
                      Network Administrator with 5,001-10,000 employees
                      Changing hardware is quicker, but the web client is browser-dependent

What is our primary use case?

We use vSphere to manage the various vCenters that my group is responsible for. We use it for the main controllers. We have VMs that that manage access to buildings. Until there's a problem you don't realize, necessarily, how many key systems have been virtualized. If we shut everything down, then maybe people would realize how virtualization has really changed things. We don't do anything active with the built-in security features, such as VM Encryption and support for TPM and VBS.

• "One of the things I like with the web client, versus the thick client, is that we're able to access all the vCenters that we manage. With the thick client, you have to log in to one vCenter at a time."
                      • "As far as the web client goes, one of the frustrating things is that it's dependent on different browsers. One day it may work with only a given browser or there may be issues with Flash. So I look forward to being able to use the HTML 5 client."

What other advice do I have?

I would tell colleagues to take a look at vSphere, if it makes sense for their organization. I've been working with VMware products in one way, shape, or form since the late 90s. Originally, I used it for training purposes and I wasn't even thinking about production. But I have no qualms today, if it's a production system, virtualizing it, as opposed to keeping it on hardware. There is always a learning curve and there are also functionality differences between the clients. For the most part, if everything is working fine, it's efficient to manage. But if you have people say, "Hey, I see…
                      TM
                      IT Infrastructure Architect at a transportation company with 1,001-5,000 employees
                      Snapshotting gives a layer of protection for simplified rollback when we do updates

What is our primary use case?

We use vSphere to virtualize or server workloads. We use the solution for all our mission-critical applications. We're an airline so our main application servers for running the airline are all virtualized on vSphere. We don't utilize the built-in security features such as VM Encryption and support for TPM and VBS.

• "Some of the most valuable features are: the ability to Snapshot so that when we do updates we have a layer of protection for simplified rollback; the replication that we can leverage for data center failures and data center downtime; the ease of migrating workloads from physical device to physical device for maintenance that we have to do on physical servers."
                      • "We can slide in new resources without any impact. We can do maintenance on our clusters without any impact to applications, and we have the flexibility of migrating those workloads to other data centers, when required, in the case of data center downtime."

What other advice do I have?

The advice I would give is: This is the only solution that you need to evaluate. I'd have to say that vSphere is a 9 out of 10, just because of its flexibility and ease of use. We can slide in new resources without any impact. We can do maintenance on our clusters without any impact to applications, and we have the flexibility of migrating those workloads to other data centers, when required, in the case of data center downtime.
                        Senior Systems Analyst at Manufacturing Organization
                        Increased density of virtualized servers enables a lot of page sharing and memory sharing

What is our primary use case?

The primary use case is for virtualization of the Windows environment for our organization. It has performed wonderfully. Over the course of the last 10 years, we have implemented vSphere Hypervisor and moved from five percent virtualization up to a current rate of about 85 percent, for our Windows environment. The mission-critical apps we use it for are for production facilities, as well as optimizers for the machine equipment that is at those production facilities. There are ancillary systems in our corporate data centers that are used for the internal customer-facing apps, to work with the… more »

• "We are able to increase the density of the virtualized servers and, with the increased density we have a lot of page sharing as well as memory sharing."
                        • "It is absolutely simple and efficient to manage. We can bring in people who have never been exposed to vSphere or virtualized environments and they're still able to support it from a server standpoint. The training time as well as the adoption rate, for a junior technician or somebody coming right out of college, is very good."
                        • "In the last couple of years, the breaking apart of specific added benefits and charging license upcharges for them. That would be the only negative thing that I have to say: As a large consumer of the Hypervisor, we have a hard time justifying the cost of utilizing the extra products, especially when it's a couple of grand here and there, a couple of hundred dollars here and there. It's hard for an IT administrator or an architect to sell to upper management. When they're seeing so much ROI from the Hypervisor, it's hard to show them that there is extra value in the additional products that can be tied on top."

What other advice do I have?

If you are not already virtualizing, existing-wise, you are doing yourself a severe disservice. Anybody who is continuing down the road of physical servers, any justifications that they think they have, should be challenged. If you have an environment that is all physical servers, a very easy win would be to present virtualization and denser workloads to your management. That would definitely make you look good in your career. I really don't see any negatives to moving to virtualization, even at a 100-percent adoption rate. We have yet to find a workload that is unable to run successfully in a…
                        SJ
                        Professional ICT at a non-tech company with 11-50 employees
                        Gives me the most options for integration with other software solutions

What is our primary use case?

I have the whole server park in VMware and I have about 14 VDI desktops for Windows 7. I'm not happy with the performance. It's slow. Maybe it's the graphics, because I don't have a graphics card in this server.

• "When I use VMware and Citrix there are conflicts."

What other advice do I have?

VMware is a safe solution and it's a stable solution. I would recommend it. The most important criterion when selecting a vendor is integration. VMware has the most support for other software solutions, such as backup. That's important to me. I would rate VMware at eight out of 10. It's good but it's too expensive.
                          System Developer/Engineer at Navy Network Information Center (NNIC)
                          Saves us significantly on the cost of physical infrastructure, as well as space and energy

• "In the next release, I would like to see programming. I'd like to see a lot more about customization for people who want to customize programming API, SDK."
                            Senior Architect at Art Van Furniture
                            Enables the creation of template-based servers very quickly, through a very intuitive UI

What is our primary use case?

vSphere is managing virtual machines in VMware infrastructure, ESXi, and it has performed very well. It's actually an excellent product.

• "The benefit of the solution is that you can create template-based servers within minutes. If you were to use a physical server, it would probably take several hours, if not a whole day, to get everything set up the way you need."
                            • "The UI is very intuitive, you don't have to spend hours before you figure it out. All in all, compared to other environments, like Hyper-V, we find vSphere a lot more user-friendly and intuitive to use."
                            • "These days we have an environment where we are often using clouds as well. A solution that would be a little more cloud-aware would be really helpful. I know there is a product from VMware that is more specifically for the cloud, but it would be nice if VMware Cloud Manager would be cloud-aware. It would simplify certain processes."

What other advice do I have?

I would rate this solution at around nine out of 10. There are ups and downs, but essentially it is an excellent solution. My advice: Just go for it. At this point, I have had a lot of experience with competing products, but in terms of finish, in terms of flexibility, in terms of user-friendliness again, I would say vSphere, in my book, is still about as good as a solution can be. They are near the top. There is always room for improvement, but they are in front of the pack.
                            Infrastracture Administrator at a energy/utilities company with 501-1,000 employees
                            It is easy to maintain our data machines and take snapshots with the solution

What is our primary use case?

We have a lot of different machines running on this solution.

• "It is easy to maintain our data machines and take snapshots with the solution."
                            • "It is easy to manage the solution. It is scalable and very stable."
                            • "I would like to start to using NSX in the next release."

What other advice do I have?

It is easy to manage the solution. It is scalable and very stable.
                            Electronic Engineer in Telecommunications and Master in Technologies and Systems of Communications at QUANYX
                            User
                            Easy of use with reduced space provides a better use of infrastructure

What is our primary use case?

Virtualization of servers: Use of the solution to reduce the space usage in the data center. Also, for hyper-convergence, you can virtualize the storage.

How has it helped my organization?

Less space is need. It reduces the space of the infrastructure in the data center. The easy of use with reduced space provides a better use of infrastructure.

What is most valuable?

vMotion vCenter All the features in the vSphere essentials are great in helping the administrators manage the virtual platform.

The only issue with vSphere might be with the cost of its tools and the software.

What other advice do I have?

I think that the…
                            Sr. IT & Business Consultant at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employees
                            It has an intuitive user experience that simplifies and helps operational management

What is our primary use case?

I have been a VMware Certified Professional (VCP) since 2008 and did several projects for server consolidation on-premise and migration to vSphere-based cloud. Currently, I am working on project to build a private cloud on-premise with Cisco FlexPod (Multipod environment stretched over two datacenters). The Cisco FlexPod includes Cisco UCS (computing), Cisco ACI (networking), VMware vSphere (virtualization), and NetApp (storage).

• "vSphere has enabled an enterprise class virtualization environment with a central point of monitoring and management stretched over multiple datacenters (multi-site use), adding all the features of clustering for high-availability and failover, VM migration, and operations."
                            • "vSphere brings the features required for an enterprise class system with a lot of supporting components: An intuitive user experience that simplifies and helps operational management."
                            • "As we introduce the DevOps culture, we need to make sure that the principles and tools used to support this approach can be easily integrated and interoperated with the vSphere environment with no (or less) redundancy in tools and functionality."
                            Team Lead at Tata Consultancy Services
                            Top ReviewerTop 5
                            vSphere 6.2 is better then v 5, so better upgrade
                            Yes. vSphere 6.5 is better then v 6.2 I was wondering what function you wish to have in vSphere 6? Happy New Year
                            Senior Network Engineer at a tech services company with 201-500 employees
                            The High Availability, and flexibility are what we've found to be important for us It's made us a lot more agile.

• "We've found the High Availability and flexibility to be important."
                            • "They need to further develop graphics virtualization."
                            IT Systems Administrator II at a manufacturing company with 1,001-5,000 employees
                            vMotion is a valuable feature and it's not hardware-dependent, but the web client could be better.

What other advice do I have?

Stop looking at others solutions and implement vSphere 6. It is hands down the most robust, scalable and easy to use virtual infrastructure out there today.
                            Deputy Director at a government with 501-1,000 employees
                            We're able to provide more IT services with the same IT staff, such as VDS/VPS services to different customers.

• "vMotion is one of the most useful features, which helps to provide both flexibility and High Availability. With new versions of vSphere and vCenter, it is still improving (e.g., vMotion across vCenter Servers and virtual switches)."
                            • "Due to the fact that during the last three months there appeared some critical bugs, the virtual machine backup might be inconsistent."

What other advice do I have?

This is one of the best products as a virtualization platform. It is important to consider best-practices designing the infrastructure and to put in practice-available features. I think new customers will be pleasantly surprised with the results.
                            Project Leader at a tech services company with 501-1,000 employees
                            The most valuable features for us are HA, DRS, and SDRS.

• "The most valuable features for us are HA, DRS, and SDRS."
                            • "The Web Client is too slow."

What other advice do I have?

For a customer who needs to have a stable infrastructure that's scalable, for very critical applications, I recommend vSphere without a doubt. I would also recommend that you request a VMware Partner to design and implement the solution.
                            Solutions Architect at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
                            It has improved resiliency and ease of asset management as most customers were able to reduce role segregation.

• "Cross vendor integration is in my opinion one of the best features."
                            • "I’d like to see a better web console or rather, transform the web console in a real single pane of glass for the whole infrastructure instead of having to go for vRealize Ops Manager."

What other advice do I have?

Start with the least expensive Licensing model and upgrade as you need. Change your operating model to virtualisation and fully leverage its potential. vSphere has it all in one package and can really change the way IT operates. We’re 12 years into virtualisation on x86 and I still find most of the virtualised customers not happy with what it offers since they don’t know how to utilise it.
                            Manager - System Engineering and Storage at a construction company with 1,001-5,000 employees
                            We are able to scale up with densities of 10:1 or 20:1. Stability and manageability need improvement.

• "Basic hypervisor functions with HA."
                            • "Stability and manageability need improvement."

What other advice do I have?

The core hypervisor is decent. Many issues will be with management and bolt-on products.
                            Lead System Architect at a tech company with 1,001-5,000 employees
                            MSP
                            Usability is the most valuable feature

What is most valuable?

Usability is the most valuable feature.

What needs improvement?

There is need to resume the C# client.

I have used this solution for six years.

There are no stability issues.

There are no scalability issues.

I would rate the technical support at a seven out of 10. In practice, the IT has faced vCenter related problems very rarely.

We still continue using our other solution. We did not switch.

The setup was very straightforward and simple.

What's my experience

IT Infrastructure Team Lead / Project Lead IT at a mining and metals company with 1,001-5,000 employees
                            Facilitated our disaster recovery by easy replication of the VM images.

• "VMware's high availability which supports our SLA, VMware on the fly features like LUN expansion, P2V and API integrations are the most valuable features."
                            • "The solution could benefit by expanding the CPUs and memory from different physical nodes."

What other advice do I have?

If you need to meet your business SLA, then there is no second choice in virtualization to give you peace of mind; it is easy to manage, scalable, stable and has APIs to integrate with all the backup solutions.
                            Cloud Automation and Integration Focal at a tech consulting company with 1,001-5,000 employees
                            It provides us with distributed virtual switches, though I’d like to be able to expand the capability of SMP fault tolerant VMs.

What other advice do I have?

Buy it, and you will be hard pressed to find a better combination, but you need to understand it, and have a plan. As simple as it is, don’t just go out and buy.
                            Researcher and Professor at a university with 1,001-5,000 employees
                            We have better security for development projects and are seeing easier backups, although I'd suggest a full automatic host server setup using DHCP and PXE without configuration scripts.

• "I find that the Virtual Center Management, iSCSI support, and VMotion hot migration are very beneficial."
                            • "A fully **automatic** and lightweight Virtual Center. Another time this has a huge improvement in last releases. However, a more automatic and simple deployment is required."

What other advice do I have?

Contract only experts or use an external consultant.
                            Technical Education Manager at a tech services company with 11-50 employees
                            The solution has given us a faster time to market our services and lower overall total costs.

What other advice do I have?

This software is just another tool to get things done. Ensure that you have laid out your requirements and have carefully evaluated your priorities before acquiring a cloud solution.
                            DPSA III at a government with 5,001-10,000 employees
                            Now we can bring up brand new servers with a couple of mouse clicks when it used to take a couple of days.

What other advice do I have?

Do as much up-front planning as possible. Make sure you analyze the IOPs of your servers and plan for computing power, bandwidth and redundancy. Take into consideration whether the DR and backup solution can support the new environment. Check into whether the operating systems being used can be virtualized and whether the application will work in that space.
                            User at a energy/utilities company with 501-1,000 employees
                            Work life balance as systems administrators got flexibility, robustness, scalability of current infrastructure.

What other advice do I have?

Keep going guys. Best thing under the sun.
                            RR
                            VMware Engineer at a tech company with 501-1,000 employees
                            The DRS and snapshot features are valuable. vRA and vROps management could be simpler.

• "It gives us the ability to be running over 250+ VMs on five physical hosts and in various flavours of guest OSs."
                            • "The only improvement that is needed that come to mind are improvements in the vRealize Automation and vRealize Operations management simplicity."

What other advice do I have?

Overall, I strongly recommend this product.
                            Independent Analyst and Advisory Consultant at Server StorageIO - www.storageio.com
                            Putting some VMware ESX storage tips together
                            PART I Have you spent time searching the VMware documentation, on-line forums, venues and books to decide how to make a local dedicated direct attached storage (DAS) type device (e.g. SATA or SAS) be Raw Device Mappings (RDM)' Part two of this post looks at how to make an RDM using an internal SATA HDD. Or how about how to make a Hybrid Hard disk drive (HHDD) that is faster than a regular Hard Disk Drive (HDD) on reads, however more capacity and less cost than a Solid State Device (SSD) actually appear to VMware as a SSD' Recently I had these and some other questions and spent some time looking around, thus this post highlights some great information I have found for addressing the above VMware challenges and some others. The SSD solution is via a post I found on fellow VMware…
                            Infrastructure Engineer at a non-profit with 5,001-10,000 employees
                            It enabled deployment of the virtual machines via templates and distributed switches. If the browser crashes, then any progress is lost on the vCenter.

What other advice do I have?

You need to place more time into the design phase. You should also build higher spec servers in order to save costs on the licensing.
                            VI Specialist at a comms service provider with 1,001-5,000 employees
                            I value the support for this application.

What is most valuable?

I value the support for this application.

How has it helped my organization?

If you compare the trend of each version, you can see that the practical features add to this product's value.

What needs improvement?

It would be very useful if they would configure the built-in backup application on this product.

I have used it for more than five years.

There were some stability issues. If you assign a non-dedicated resource to this product, you can see the issue in storage.

There were no scalability issues as such. However, it depends on the license that you buy.

How is customer service and technical

Infrastructure Senior Specialist at a financial services firm with 51-200 employees
                            Leverages the migration with unshared storage. Helps manage main and DR sites simultaneously.

What other advice do I have?

This solution has lots of features. Just be aware of all of them and you will get the most out of it.
                            Systems Administrator at CityServiceValcon
                            Provides high availability and DRS.

What other advice do I have?

Consider alternatives like AHV before jumping in feet first.
                            Information System Engineer at a manufacturing company with 1,001-5,000 employees
                            It provides a centralized management interface for ESXi hosts.

What other advice do I have?

For new users, virtual appliance is the best choose as it is saving costs and is much easier to set it up as well.
                            Chief Information Officer at a tech services company with 201-500 employees
                            Helps to migrate from one storage vendor to another. Moves virtual machines off of arrays for maintenance or upgrade.

What other advice do I have?

Choose VMware to gain the proper stability, scalability, and flexibility with premium support.
                            CEO at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
                            Very simple to configure and use. No agnostic option of vSAN to use it with another hypervisor.

What other advice do I have?

Its important to have experience with VMware products, and licensing is not very cheap.
                            System Support Engineer at TMN
                            HA, FT and DRS features support large scale servers and VMs.

What other advice do I have?

I advise you to review your needs and then look into the features. I am sure you will get solution of your needs.
                            Senior System Administrator at a financial services firm with 501-1,000 employees
                            It cuts the cost of maintaining high availability, which is very expensive with physical servers.
                            Chief Technology Officer at a tech services company with 51-200 employees

What other advice do I have?

For anyone looking to implement VMware, don't take the initial implementation lightly, and don't cheapen up on the hardware, especially the storage. You will save a ton of headaches by investing in good storage that would be adequate for at least three years. Also, do your homework on best practices, and how to implement things. It is very easy to get things working and it is more difficult to get things working smoothly. Never had I thought that I had to get familiar with the deep workings of disks, and IOPs, read and write/s ... but these are really necessary if a good implementation is the…
                            Senior Environments Engineer - Virtualised Environments at Derivco with 501-1,000 employees
                            It's a tiny install, but it's packed with features.

Valuable Features

VMware leads the pack with their hypervisor. It's a tiny install, but it's packed with features.

Room for Improvement

The setup can be complicated for those who are not technically inclined. The pricing can also be complicated.

Use of Solution

I've used it for 10 years now.

We did encounter issues during deployment, but they were mostly because of human errors.

We've had no issues with stability.

We've had no issues scaling it for our needs.

Customer Service: In my experience, I give VMware customer service a 7/10. Technical Support: In my experience with technical support, I give them a 7/10.

The initial setup was straightforward,…
                            Senior Oracle Database Administrator at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employees
                            It provides the option to view performance with advanced real-time monitoring.

What other advice do I have?

I would have preferred to implement vSphere straight away instead of OVM and then switching.
                            Technical Director at ADMI France
                            ​The more visible example is the performance seen by the user in my DaaS product.

What is most valuable?

High performance for data access Scalability Simplicity

How has it helped my organization?

The more visible example is the performance seen by the user in my DaaS product.

What needs improvement?

A more graphical reporting of the health of vSAN.

I've been using it for six months to manage two clusters of four servers. One with vSphere ESX 5.5 with 30 ISCSi network storage, and one with vSphere ESX 6.0 with 40 vSAN six storage.

We had no issues during deployment.

For the moment, I have only one issue. One disk of a server is not seen by the system. I have opened this issue with Dell, but it’s not a…
                            Project Manager at a non-tech company with 10,001+ employees
                            Top ReviewerTop 20
                            Highly recommended virtualization product for mid/large sized organizations
                            ESXi is highly recommend for virtualization these days for mid/large sized organizations due to its increased reliabilty and lot of other features. Pros:- - 1. VMWare ESXi is virtualization product that allows us to partition a single physical server into multiple virtual machines.  2. VMWare ESXi hosts can be with Windows, Solaris, Linux and Netware, any or all of which can be used concurrently on the same hardware.  3. VMWare ESXi has been proved as leader in cloud enterprise class solutions.  4. VMWare ESXi takes virtualization higher and deeper with rich storage automation and more advanced virtual networking tools.  5. VMWare ESXi allows dynamically to modify cpu, memory, disk and network configurations.  6. VMWare ESXi hosts can be accessed using vsphere…
                            Project Manager at a non-tech company with 10,001+ employees
                            Top ReviewerTop 20
                            Reliable vitrualization software for implementing virtual servers
                            VMWare server is freeware server and provides very good environment for testing. It is used to be one of the good product, but now it has come to EOL. Pros:-  1. VMWare server is cost saving virtualization product that allows us to partition a single physical server into multiple virtual machines.  2. VMWare server works with Windows, Solaris, Linux and Netware, any or all of which can be used concurrently on the same hardware.  3. VMWare server takes virtualization higher and deeper with rich storage automation and more advanced virtual networking tools  4. VMWare server allows dynamically to modify cpu, memory, disk and network configurations.  5. VMWare server provides web management console for easier management.  6. VMWare server is normally implemented in…
                            Senior System Administrator at a computer software company with 501-1,000 employees
                            It allows us to perform VM customizations when joining machines with multiple domains, change their names, and clone them.

What other advice do I have?

It’s rock solid and there’s nothing in its class in terms of alternatives.
                            Virtualization Engineer at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
                            vCenter, SRM, and vSphere replication are not only the most valuable features for us, but they're the features we use the most right now.

What other advice do I have?

My advice would be to go for it. VMware has a wide range of products. Try them :)
                            Sr. Systems Engineer at a real estate/law firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
                            Its hardware abstraction allows us to refresh easier. There are, however, some networking changes, storage integrations, and leverage features that aren’t available.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend it, as it's very stable and robust. Make sure you stay current, and up to date.
                            Solutions Consultant at a tech services company with 501-1,000 employees
                            Once we moved everything over to the virtualization platform, we have the benefit of newer and faster disk arrays directly attached to the VMware system.

What other advice do I have?

Don't just buy the minimum because you need the best clustering capabilities, which includes having at least one host to be in maintenance mode while the other two are running the business. I'd also advise that you purchase DRS and HA. For example, with DRS, you don't have to manually balance the load all the time and trying to keep the host balanced out. Backup is obviously an essential part, so I always recommend Veeam, which works very well with VMware. A lot of people think they can do snapshots on their array and that will be their backup, but it's not. for DR, they can use vCloud Air to…
                            VMware(VCP5), VMware Regional Academy Director at a university with 501-1,000 employees
                            The data center virtualization is of importance for multiple reasons. We also deploy HA + DRS clustering.

What other advice do I have?

From my point of view, particularly in the IT industry, you need to be continually moving forward, otherwise you are moving backwards or out. But that is not to say there is no room for improvement in particular areas, for instance, in addressing products that help the small business arena. With discussions I have had with internal VMware employees, they have known this and have introduced products, like VSAN, to help address this arena. Get buy-in from other areas within your organization, which is typically an easy sell. But do it up front and identify a relatively small test deployment and…
                            Server Virtualization Engineer at a financial services firm with 501-1,000 employees
                            It provides flexibility and manageability by abstracting the physical dependencies from the physical hardware.

What other advice do I have?

It's just made my life so much better as far as being able to move servers around and perform firmware updates during the middle of the day. I love that.
                            Principal System Engineer at a financial services firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
                            It's agile and provides us with the ability to make changes within the environment seamlessly.

What other advice do I have?

Definitely do your research. Leading into something, you don't just want to listen to just sales. You would like to know what the industry is giving, and in the case of this product, there is an enormous wealth of information, a wealth of community out there from which you can draw information to get a feel for kind of what you want to do, completely outside of the sales channel. Beyond that, it is probably beneficial to do something like a large-scale licensing unit to be able to get the kind of features that, on a larger scale, deployment is going to need.
                            Server Manager at a local government with 1,001-5,000 employees
                            The ease of administration and flexibility are the most valuable features for us.
                            System Administrator - Backup & Storage Specialist at METRO SYSTEMS Romania
                            vMotion and Storage vMotion, Storage APIs, Storage Thin Provisioning, and good integration with LUN mapping to VMFS are reliable features.
                            Senior Systems Administrator at a media company with 501-1,000 employees
                            It's served my purpose of just needing to virtualize our environment and manage it effectively.

What other advice do I have?

Cost considerations aside, be sure to properly scale your VM environment above all else. This is true regardless of product.
                            Systems Administrator at a transportation company with 1,001-5,000 employees
                            Cross vCenter vMotion allows us to perform vMotion from one vCenter to another without the need for shared storage.
                            IT Infrastructure Engineer at a consumer goods company with 1,001-5,000 employees
                            We've been able to scale out at deployment time to match our predicted future needs.

What is most valuable?

We've found that the most valuable features for us are: vMotion Replication Portability

How has it helped my organization?

It's improved our functioning in three areas: Deployment Backup Disaster Recovery

What needs improvement?

One way VMware could improve on this solutions is to re-incorporate the FAT client along with the web client.

I've used it for nine years.

Deployment is done with future needs in mind. But with day-to-day deployment, we haven't had any issues.

There have been no issues with the stability.

We've been able to scale…
                            Senior IT Analyst at a retailer with 1,001-5,000 employees
                            vMotion, HA, and snapshots are the most valuable features for us.

What other advice do I have?

You should understand what is your demand and plan your capacity and resource allocation carefully to avoid double work in the near future.
                            IT Architect at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
                            The higher usage ratio of hardware and vMotion are valuable features.

What other advice do I have?

Do a PoC and compare it to other solutions.
                            Solution lifecycle manager at a pharma/biotech company with 10,001+ employees
                            DRS and resource pool sharing are valuable features for us.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend analysis of different options and pricing, including public/private-cloud models. Depending on your application and needs, you may not need such an advanced product as vSphere Enterprise.
                            ITC Systems Administrator at a tech services company with 11-50 employees
                            Primarily, we've been able to save on energy costs. It also gives us easier migrations when upgrading infrastructure.

What other advice do I have?

Nothing to be afraid of. Everything about vSphere is advantageous.
                            Technical Director - IT Consultant at a tech services company with 501-1,000 employees
                            It's helped us to include automatization in all processes, thus reducing maintenance hours and increasing energy savings.

What is most valuable?

vSphere's performance and stability are its more valuable features for us.

How has it helped my organization?

What needs improvement?

The price is too high right now.

I've worked with vSphere for 6years now.

I'm a vExpert so I don't have any issues with deploying it.

With v6, there were some stability problems, but after an update to a later version it's been stable.

That's one of the great things about vSphere -- its…
                            System Engineer with 501-1,000 employees
                            We're now able to provision new servers faster and have the option to perform snapshots prior to implementing changes.

What is most valuable?

vMotion DRS High Availability Snapshots

How has it helped my organization?

What needs improvement?

The installation of vCenter SSO for a lot of my customers could be improved, but I think it's a totally useless feature.

I've used it since version 4.0, so around six years.

Sometimes there were issues during the installation, especially with certificates.

Only once in five years have we had stability issues.

Customer Service:…
                            Stevenson University Systems Administrator at a university with 501-1,000 employees
                            Solutions can be tested in all manner of environments before deployment and go through rigorous testing before going live with the Redirect-on-Write snapshot technology.

What other advice do I have?

The Hardware Compatibility List (HCL) is your bible now. Read it, understand it, and do not deviate from it. If you have existing centralized storage you wish to use, it must be on the HCL. See what VAAI primitives it supports. Do not thin provision both Array Side and VMware side; pick one.
                            Managing Director & Head of Technologies at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
                            vMotion allows us to move VMs from host to host, which helps a lot while performing scheduled maintenance on production environments and for workload consolidation.

What other advice do I have?

For small infrastructures, start with the free vSphere Hypervisor. For small businesses, VMware vSphere Essentials Kits are inexpensive but limited to three hosts. So be sure you are not going to grow more than this for a while if you are considering this option. For medium-sized businesses and corporations, go for it. It will greatly reduce your operating costs.
                            Datacenter Manager at a healthcare company with 501-1,000 employees
                            The most valuable feature for us is Virtual Volumes because it gives us better control of VM stores.

What other advice do I have?

Install it in a test lab first if the experience level is low for VMware solutions.
                            Senior Software QA Engineer at a tech company with 10,001+ employees
                            The features of DRS, High Availability, SRM, and vMotion have been valuable for us.

Valuable Features

There are several valuable features, including virtualization, of course, as well as DRS, High Availability, SRM, and vMotion.

Improvements to My Organization

It's really helped us out with our testing and development.

Room for Improvement

It's not perfect, and could use improvements with better stability and better support.

We attempted to upgrade from vSphere 5.0 to 5.5, but we weren't successful. We contacted technical support and, after a few tries, they closed our case and asked us to perform a fresh vCenter install and to create the inventory from there.

It hasn't been as stable as we expected.

Scaling it is not an issue.

Customer Service: Customer…
                            Deployment Engineer at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employees
                            ​It has helped organise computing into more logical groups, instead of random physical servers.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend evaluating the features that match what you need before deciding. Use the 60 day trials to test.
                            VMware continues to execute delivering on the Virtual Data Center aka Software Defined Data Center paradigm.
                            VMware has announced version 6 (V6) of its software defined data center (SDDC) server virtualization hypervisor called vSphere aka ESXi. In addition to a new version of its software defined server hypervisor along with companion software defined management and convergence tools. VMware vSphere Refresh As a refresh for those whose world does not revolve around VMware, vSphere and software defined data centers (believe it or not there are some who exist ;), ESXi is the hypervisor that virtualizes underlying physical machines (PM’s) known as hosts. The path to software defined data center convergence Guest operating systems (or other hypervisors using nesting) run as virtual machines (VM’s) on top of the vSphere hypervisor host (e.g. ESXi software). Various VMware…
                            Consultant at a tech consulting company with 51-200 employees
                            We work less on weekends because of the possibility to patch during normal working hours. The pricing, however, could be improved.

What is most valuable?

High Availability vMotion Storage vMotion

How has it helped my organization?

One particular example is the ability to work less on weekends because of the possibility to patch during normal working hours.

What needs improvement?

The pricing.

I've used it since 2006.

We have not had any issue with deployment over the years.

Customer Service: 8/10 Technical Support: 9/10

We didn't use…
                            VMware Architect at a tech company with 10,001+ employees
                            Less time is needed to go live for workloads, although the web client is prone to errors and crashes.

What is most valuable?

vMotion Storage vMotion High Availability DRS Storage DRS Enhanced vMotion Capability

How has it helped my organization?

Less time is needed to go live for workloads. We have, therefore, been able to increase our efficiency and that of the virtual infrastructure.

What needs improvement?

The web client is prone to errors and crashes. Dump this in favor of the C# desktop client.

I've used it for two years.

Customer Service:…
                            Engineer with 51-200 employees
                            The best part of ESXi for us is the flexibility it gives us...be aware of VM sprawl and the associated license costs.

What other advice do I have?

I’d say, understand what it is you wish to achieve from the outset. Take into account growth, be aware of VM sprawl and the associated license costs – we were all happy to add servers left right and centre, we’ve now been through a server rationalisation process to bring our VM server count down a little. Make sure that your engineers are suitably trained and make sure that you have a good support contract in place – it gives you peace of mind!
                            Principal Architect at Rackspace
                            Video Review
                            In our environment -- it's pretty large -- we have roughly just less than 100 vCenters, and it's very rare that they actually go down.

What other advice do I have?

There is nothing else enterprise-ready, like they are. If you are considering similar solutions, make sure you take deep dives technically into how well they integrate with other vendors, or how well they integrate with your hardware. Like VSAN for instance, a lot of the storage vendors that are really going for it to be on the VSAN HCL, and unfortunately some of the RAID controllers are not on at that HCL, and a lot of times people don't know that. If you are looking at different solutions, make sure you check compatibility guides, not just for the whole VMware Stack, but including maybe…
                            Technical Lead - IT at a tech vendor with 201-500 employees
                            Video Review
                            One of the benefits is that you can deploy a virtual machine and any environment you want in seconds.

What other advice do I have?

We didn't have any problems. If you're starting to use vSphere solutions, I guess the first thing you should do is check hardware compatibility list to make sure that all your hardware is going to be compatible with your software. After that, if you run into any problems, just check the VMware knowledge base. Basically all the information you'd need is in there.
                            Senior Systems Engineer at PlanSource
                            Video Review
                            We like being able to itemize using vApplications to do starter priorities, so if you have dependent NFS and database mounts, applications won't come up prior to that.

What other advice do I have?

They've been able to push out little things as the management agent which allow you to work through vCenter and allow you to connect through vCenter to see all your hosts and make automation very, very easy. On top of that they give you the vCenter Applicance so you're no longer tied to a SQL license. You don't have to worry about using SQL Express and running out of space or running out of license space and then re-licensing it. Then they've also solved the upgrade path. Every time a new B, C, D, whatever version of vCenter comes out I don't know how many times the Windows version blows up…
                            Sr. IT Technical Engineer & Solutions Architect at a hospitality company with 1,001-5,000 employees
                            Video Review
                            It gives us simplicity of deployments, speed-to-market with our application portfolios, and gives our developers quick provisioning or stand-up with no hand-holding.

What other advice do I have?

I have not tested Virtual Volumes. That's why I'm here, to learn more about the Virtual Volumes feature along with the NSX platform. I'm excited about it because we have a huge SAN infrastructure where we would like to be able to move workloads from point A to point B and I think that's a good starting point. I've seen a lot of hypervisors out there, but 10, hands down, in the market. If I were to recommend this particular product to some of my peers or co-workers or somebody else in another industry, I would clearly state the reliability, the stability, and the ease of use, is which they…
                            System Administrator at a tech services company with 501-1,000 employees
                            It's provided our company with a solution that has High Availability and is scalable, although VSAN is not as reliable as I expected.

What is most valuable?

High Availability Storage vMotion Strong support loads

How has it helped my organization?

Scalability Cost reduction Efficient resource utilization

I've used it for two years.

VSAN was not as reliable as I expecting and it crashes when we get to 90% memory.

Customer Service: VMware support escalation tickets are so slow to answer. Technical Support: It's poor.

We switched because in most cases, support was slow, so we had to find forums and internet articles for solving our issues.

It was straightforward, just…
                            System Engineer at a legal firm with 501-1,000 employees
                            We can spin up VMs within hours instead of going through a paper trail of physical servers and install process, reducing our procurement timeline.

What other advice do I have?

Understand your requirements and see how it fits in, especially with Hyper-V as a competitor. Take into account third-party support.
                            Senior System Engineer at a retailer with 1,001-5,000 employees
                            From compute and storage perspectives, we use our resources more efficiently. But although I wasn't involved in initial setup, they should apply consistent policies and have them function singularly.

Valuable Features

It gives us flexibility in deploying infrastructure. With vMotion, we're able to move critical VMs around our cluster infrastructure, which we manage with DRS.

Improvements to My Organization

From a compute and storage perspective, we're able to use our resources much more efficiently.

Room for Improvement

it’s so simple that it’s idiot proof.

We never have a problem. It’s almost set it and forget it. Once configured, it takes care of itself. Usually any issues are with hardware, which can’t be helped. With vSphere running on UCS, we’re thrilled.

We’ve needed to scale and have had no problems in deploying nodes into clusters and getting their profiles. It’s very simple.

We've…
                            Chief General Manager at SVC Bank
                            Our entire banking operation is virtualized and we can switch between servers if there's latency or slow responsiveness.

What other advice do I have?

VMware is not as proactive. They’re not willing to correct some problems I've faced. So VMware should be a bit more flexible in their engineering. I always tell them that with the architecture I've put in place, I can’t use SRM at all, but whatever SRM does, I can do manually, yet I can’t automate it.
                            Senior Systems Administor at a tech vendor with 501-1,000 employees
                            MSP
                            It's reduced the size and cost of our physical data center, although vROPS should be part of the product and not something extra.

What other advice do I have?

It just works. Just get it. There are other hypervisors, but the amount of time you put into it to get your job done, you’re going to save money on the back end with vSphere.
                            System Administrator at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
                            It makes servers easier to manage and offers increased redundancy, although I think the product licensing should be simplified on a sliding scale.

What other advice do I have?

You should work with an existing VMware partner to deploy, but seek proper training or coursework for day to day management.
                            DL
                            Virtualization Architect at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
                            MSP
                            Delivery time for a server resource to the organization has been reduced from weeks to minutes, though I'd like to see an additional licensing model based on size restraints rather than function.

What other advice do I have?

* Make sure you have a strategy so you could utilize a hybrid cloud solution as you grow. * Build your segments as managers and users * Look beyond licensing cost and calculate administration and support time * Make sure you have a good naming strategy that can scale - I had a customer that named his hosts after the seven sins in the bible, so when he needed to grow beyond seven hosts he had to invent an eighth.
                            IS Director at a financial services firm with 501-1,000 employees
                            We're able to rapidly provision servers due to the decoupling of servers from physical hardware. Recent releases have had significant bugs, which delays new-version deployment.

What other advice do I have?

I would advise anyone who is interesting in implementing virtualization using VMware's products to try it. We started using the free licensing without support and were extremely satisfied with the ability to rapidly provision resources. We then purchased licensing and support to better manage the environment and have grown to 50 licensed hosts.
                            Director of IT at a engineering company with 501-1,000 employees
                            We're able to use less hardware and consume less power, although the performance manager needs improvement.

What is most valuable?

vMotion, which lets us migrate from one server to another, is a really beneficial feature.

How has it helped my organization?

We are using less hardware and less power as a result of this solution.

What needs improvement?

Improvements need to be made in the performance manager.

I have used it for over 10 years.

No issues encountered.

Customer Service: 5/10. Technical Support: 5/10.

Which solution did I use previously and why did I

Sr. Architect - Enterprise Virtualization at a insurance company with 1,001-5,000 employees
                            The consolidation of hardware is good, however, VSAN needs to be improved.

What is most valuable?

It's allowed us to consolidate our hardware.

How has it helped my organization?

We spend less money on hardware. We're able to get better use of data center space because our hardware is consolidated into a smaller footprint.

What needs improvement?

The VSAN storage could be improved.

I've used it for over 10 years.

No issues encountered.

There are only slight issues.

Customer Service: It's very good. Technical Support: It's very good.

No previous solution was used.

How was the initial

Director of IT Infrastructure at a media company with 501-1,000 employees
                            It helps in managing computer and storage resources, and in shrinking your physical environment significantly.

What other advice do I have?

The best advice I could give is spend a lot of time designing your environment to receive VMware. Read everything you can get your hands on, and take a good online course or attend one in a city near you. Be aware that you will need to know a lot about computers, storage, networking, and security environments to determine the best design for you. Download the latest ESXi version and build a test lab. You get 60 days to play with the full gambit of features. Then get a lot of advice from vendor specific engineers, HP, EMC, Netapp, Cisco, etc. because the hardware you choose will run into…
                            IT Infrastructure Engineer at a retailer with 501-1,000 employees
                            Although we're new to this, the ability to automate will save our company money and IT time.

What other advice do I have?

Access the enormous amount of virtual apps they have to get practical performance instead of just the KB to deploy.
                            IT - Server Administration with 501-1,000 employees
                            As an admin, virtualization has made my work life far simpler on a day to day basis, but sometimes we have issues where we need to contact tech support.

What other advice do I have?

Do your homework so you learn as much as you can about virtualization concepts as there are many nuances that are quite different from the physical counterparts. It’s easy to get an ESXi host stood up and install a vCenter management server – then you decide to stand up a “few” VM’s and when you figure out how easy that is, you are off and running. But what about your network configuration and HA or DRS to name a few. It’s way easier to learn the concepts ahead of time than to have to research a bunch of little issues after the fact. Google VMware and/or vSphere and have at it!
                            IT Technician at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
                            It's given us flexibility for large and quick deployments.
                            Technical leader at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
                            We can add hypervisors with VNX and switches for a CSA fabric solution. However, the MAC-pinning feature should be there in NIC-teaming.

What other advice do I have?

We must meet a real-switch behavior and functionalities. Go ahead and definitely purchase it.
                            Senior System Analyst at a hospitality company with 1,001-5,000 employees
                            WAN management has some stability issues, but it has given us a substantial increase in server density.
                            Operations Director at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
                            Its vMotion and HA features provide for an expandable and usable virtualization solution, but the web GUI is a bit clunky in version 6.

What other advice do I have?

I would advise you to implement it as I believe it's still the best in virtualization for expandability and usability.
                            Senior Consultant at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
                            It's helped us improve our SSO functionality and there's the opportunity to scale with the Platform Services Controller.
                            Senior Vice President at a consultancy with 1,001-5,000 employees
                            It's increased our disaster recover abilities, although it could improve on the heterogeneous management of disparate hypervisors.
                            Systems Administrator at a healthcare company with 501-1,000 employees
                            We leveraged it to help us with our DR following power outages. However, we don't necessarily have a need for the expensive add-ons.

What other advice do I have?

Peer reviews are pretty important, more so than online resources.
                            Vice President, Systems Architect at a financial services firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
                            vMotion helps with core banking operations and time-to-market, but I'd like to see self-discovery of assets.

What other advice do I have?

Don’t hesitate, and go get it. From an architecture perspective, plan out a typical deployment, but you need to understand the business requirements and challenges, be able to define requirements, and make sure you choose the right-size server farm.
                            Network/Systems Administrator at South Plains Electric Co-Op
                            We were able to scale up from 10 to 80 machines, something we couldn't have done with physical servers. Training, however, should be made more available.

What other advice do I have?

Probably the availability of training is the most important thing to look at when choosing a vendor. It’s not perfect but it’s pretty good, and VMware is great. Peer reviews are pretty important, it’s an easy way to look at hands on market research that you don’t have to pay for, to be honest.
                            Systems Services Representative at a financial services firm with 10,001+ employees
                            We've moved our secondary products to a virtualized environment. The web client in version 6.0, though, is inferior to the Windows client.

What other advice do I have?

Nothing’s perfect, and they are docked points for moving to a web client. Also, single sign-on is unfriendly, and there were growing pains.
                            When we release our new applications, we just scale out without investing in new infrastructure. It's missing centralized management, however, which limits our troubleshooting ability.
                            Network/Systems Administrator at Tidewell Hospice
                            It's allowed me to aggregate resources, including reducing the number of physical machines from about 200 to 30.

What other advice do I have?

Peer reviews are important but not the highest. There are a few groups I look to specifically, one of which is Spiceworks, but I respect the people I’ve dealt with.
                            Senior Systems Administrator at a energy/utilities company with 1,001-5,000 employees
                            It provides us a global standardization, ease of management on a global level, and helps our remote sites for those who don’t have a sufficient tech level. Training for it is expensive.

What other advice do I have?

Depending on the size and budget, if there's a smaller shop with less money, and you could get by with just a couple VMs, vSphere would be difficult to recommend. But if you're larger with more money, it’s the best platform for virtualization and cloud integration. VMware is further along than anyone else in this regard.
                            Senior Infrastructure Engineer at a insurance company with 501-1,000 employees
                            We're able to accept every request to build new VMs and can leverage it with the API's, although it still requires programming experience as the process isn't fully automated.
                            Senior Engineer at a healthcare company with 1,001-5,000 employees
                            DRS helps us to balance data storage and the workload of our datacenters. However, if we lose a host, it doesn't report which VMs were affected

What other advice do I have?

Even with no reporting, it's near perfect, because reporting would just make things easier, and not having it doesn’t impede performance.
                            Principal Analyst at a pharma/biotech company with 1,001-5,000 employees
                            It separates the software from the hardware so that a hardware failure is not catastrophic.
                            Program Manager at a mining and metals company with 1,001-5,000 employees
                            We've been able to consolidate and distribute our infrastructure across multiple data centers. Its support for non-Windows platforms could be improved, though.

What other advice do I have?

Everything is going in the right track so I would ultimately recommend the product. Peer reviews are 10/10 – extremely important.
                            VP, Infrastructure Management and Security Services at a energy/utilities company with 5,001-10,000 employees
                            With it, we’ve been able to consolidate and save millions of dollars for licenses, maintenance, and labor costs.
                            IT Manager at a retailer with 501-1,000 employees
                            We're able to virtualize hundreds of servers at as low a cost as possible, with planned implementation of Operation Management and, perhaps, VSAN as well.

What other advice do I have?

Compatibilities with software, with OS, we have some applications that are only running on XP and 32 bits. You need to do some research to make it work.
                            Network Engineer at a legal firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
                            It's saved us costs, greatly reducing the number of physical servers, although it could be improved with more storage capabilities and hot-adding of devices.

What other advice do I have?

Nobody’s perfect, but it’s great for our needs, and I would absolutely recommend the product.
                            Director, Information Technology at Mountville Mills
                            It enables us to run lots of servers with minimal hardware. However, the client interface is superior to the new web interface.

What other advice do I have?

Make sure you have good SysAdmins who have experience with VMware, as this will save money.
                            Group Leader - Server Technologies & Storage at a government with 501-1,000 employees
                            We have lower personnel and investment costs with virtual servers than with physical servers, although the web client is not as good as the C# client.
                            System Administrator at Maricopa County Community College District
                            We had a lot of disparate hardware that we've now been able to consolidate onto one platform.
                            Senior Systems Engineer with 51-200 employees
                            MSP
                            We have 750 machines and 50 ESXi hosts that are all consolidated, sharing memory and computing.

Valuable Features

Virtualizing everything HA DRS

Improvements to My Organization

When I came, it was already being used, but it helps with consolidation of our 750 machines. We have 50 ESXi hosts, and they’re all consolidated, being able to share memory, computing. As a partner we have VSPP (VMware Service Provider Program in which we pay per memory usage).

Room for Improvement

The web client needs to be moved from flash-based to HTML5. I would like an app as well for remote access.

I've had hardly any issues. The ESXi host can stay up and running, and the hardware compatibility is very good, and we're moving towards a virtual appliance (vCenter).

It's easy to scale.

I rarely contast them as…
                            Technology Services Manager at Oden
                            It saves me time when spinning up machines for dev environments, is stable, and scales well.

What other advice do I have?

It’s been great. I would recommend it all the time, it’s great. Peer reviews are quite important, as I need to know what others are experiencing before I do.
                            Sr. Systems Engineer at a pharma/biotech company with 10,001+ employees
                            With the DR and HA functionalities, if any hardware goes down, we have another host with little downtime.

Valuable Features

Virtualization Ability to vMotion and create servers on LAN HA DRS

Improvements to My Organization

The ability to build machines on the LAN as the business needs them, and the ability to have good DR and HA, with no hardware that can cause issues. If we go down, we have another host with very little downtime.

Room for Improvement

I would like them to keep the client-based system, even though they are going towards web client.

It's extremely stable rarely any issues.

It's very scalable. We currently have 10,000+ servers, and 80% virtualized, so scalability has to be there.

VMware tech support is excellent. It’s one of the best vendor tech support I’ve found.

IS Manager at a pharma/biotech company with 501-1,000 employees
                            We've consolidated our footprint and decreased the number of hardware hosts, although the web client is an area that needs improvement.

What other advice do I have?

I would say from a 4 of Hyper-V, I would easily give this a 7 or 8, as the support definitely improved drastically. When selecting a vendor, do your research and develop relationships. If you know the product and can get in contact with POCs, we want to see the product before we buy it.
                            Virtualization Engineer at a retailer with 10,001+ employees
                            MSP
                            We can consolidate machines that aren't using computer resources into an environment where they can all exist without performance degradation.

What other advice do I have?

vSphere is great, I’ve made a career of it.
                            CIO at a insurance company with 51-200 employees
                            I have central management of all our servers and can deploy a server quickly with low hardware cost and high ROI.
                            System Engineer at a tech vendor with 1,001-5,000 employees
                            We're able to manage our infrastructure of 12,000 users from a central location, although the web client, which uses HTML5, could be better.

What other advice do I have?

Peer reviews are significant, but you can tell the most from firsthand experience.
                            vSphere Consultant at a tech services company with 501-1,000 employees
                            It's given us automation capabilities for server provisioning and management of configurations, although the main feature suite should include those from vCloud and vRealize.

Valuable Features

It only breaks predictively.

Improvements to My Organization

It's saved us costs for power and cooling. It's given us automation capabilities for server provisioning and management of configurations.

Room for Improvement

I'd like to see more trickle down features from vCloud/vRealize to the main feature suite.

Tentatively favorable – we haven’t had a lot of outages just wary about future upgrade ability.

I would go with unknown at this point – we're kind of small, at best were medium sized, so we're not sure what our scaling needs will be. It is not close to the maximum.

Good technical support – response time was good/ average.

Can be straightforward,…
                            Manager of Corporate Systems at a retailer with 1,001-5,000 employees
                            It's a stable product, scales out well, and provides us with the ability to recover from hardware failures.

What other advice do I have?

Peer reviews, are very important. I prefer to start with those before I contact the vendors.
                            Asst. manager System Operations with 1,001-5,000 employees
                            Along with the features of clustering and High Availability, it's also reduced our total cost of ownership and operational time.
                            Manager of Technical Support at a retailer with 501-1,000 employees
                            I'm able to single-handedly manage 22 virtualized servers on one set of hosts, and the DR helps me bring systems back up.

What other advice do I have?

The support could be a bit better. I would do the same thing that I do. I don’t have a very big network because I’m so busy, but I count on my consultants and information system networks a lot. After, I’ll research a lot on the internet to back up what we’re doing.
                            System Engineer at a transportation company with 1,001-5,000 employees
                            It performs reliably and performs VM snapshot consolidation well without unnecessary tweaking by me.

What other advice do I have?

We always look at responsiveness, availability, and willingness to work on a partnership when choosing a provider. I believe we continuously still look at updates, and sadly we still have some Hyper-V. It’s hard to cost justify switching over for vSphere, as Windows Data Center is just so cheap. But vSphere is definitely better if you ignore costs. If I’ve never worked with a product, and I’m comparing apples to apples across the board, I definitely have to look at what peers are saying in helping me reach my decision.
                            Senior Systems Engineer at a retailer with 1,001-5,000 employees
                            With it, you don’t have to go with third-party solutions as long as you have people with the ability to script within your enterprise who can create tools and access APIs.

What other advice do I have?

There’s no better alternative. I would absolutely recommend vSphere. I do think that they’re the most expensive, but well worth the money. I also think peer reviews would be an interesting way to research, as I haven’t ever encountered a site like IT Central Station before, but I can definitely see the value of moving forward with it.
                            Network Engineer 4 at a healthcare company with 501-1,000 employees
                            We're able to scale up as much as we need so long as the backend support is available, although there's no option to choose either the web or thick client.

Valuable Features

vMotion DRS HA

Improvements to My Organization

It uses less data-room space, and has lower cost and power consumption, giving us much bigger cost savings.

Room for Improvement

I wish they would maintain thick clients and web clients, so you can choose which to go with.

It's great, just natural hiccups during the upgrade process, but we straightened out those issues.

It's fantastic, able to go as big as you want to go, so long as the backend and databases to support are big enough.

Used tech support for upgrades over the years, and they were good. They were better before partnering with EMC, and not a little more drawn out (ticket, open case, priorities, etc.). Don’t work with…
                            Technology Architect at a tech company with 10,001+ employees
                            It provides a single platform for API integration, but the web client is clunky.

What other advice do I have?

It lose points because it lacks color coding, the web client is clunky, and the interface itself makes it harder to find stuff. You should run the SQL scripts outside the intial install, cluster SQL, cluster vCenters and run as VMs, and set DR rules to match.
                            Systems Administrator at a healthcare company with 1,001-5,000 employees
                            Our end users have less downtime because vMotion allows us to move off failed hardware and onto another machine, but the web client is clunky.

Valuable Features:

vMotion, because you can move off failed hardware, and if you have a maintenance window, you can put everything onto a physical server, and then put everything back

Improvements to My Organization:

Less downtime for all end users, so if it fails you can get it up on the other machine quickly.

Room for Improvement:

I don’t like the web client, as it's real clunky, and not so instantaneous.

It's very stable.

Scalability Issues:

You can go as big as you want

It's very easy.

Other Advice:

If you don’t have it, you need it because everything should be virtualized.
                            Senior Systems Administrator at a university with 1,001-5,000 employees
                            We can take one server, virtualize it, and put 12 VMs on it, and have them play different roles. The web client, however, should move from flash-based to HTML5.

What other advice do I have?

It's a good solid product. If I had to virtualize anything, it would be my choice and and would use anything like MS Hyper-V. Make sure hardware on compatability matrix that VMware uses, because if use something not on list, will run into driver issues unnecessarily. And if planning a brand new data center, those are things you want to look at.
                            Network Analyst at a construction company with 1,001-5,000 employees
                            We run 200 virtual servers on a few physical machines, saving on environmental costs like power and heat. However, internal notifications and performance monitoring could be improved.

What other advice do I have?

I would tell say that if you have the money you should buy the solution and go with blades. Also, make sure you do a lot of number crunching to show that the solution is valuable.
                            Systems Analyst at a university with 1,001-5,000 employees
                            We've been able to consolidate 70-80 physical servers into much smaller ESXi virtual servers, though I've yet to figure out the product fully.

What is most valuable?

Stability Ease of deployment

How has it helped my organization?

We have been able to consolidate 70-80 physical servers into much smaller ESXi virtual servers. We’ve reduced our footprint to a much smaller virtual environment.

What needs improvement?

I can't say as I'm still trying to figure out the product fully.

I have been extremely impressed by the stability of the solution.

It's extremely scalable. The ease of being able to add a new server or host in, and get it compatible with what's going on gives us a lot more functionality to get that host up and running.

Fortunately, I…
                            Principal Systems Engineer at a individual & family service with 10,001+ employees
                            Instead of having one application for every physical host, we can run 30-40 on one host.

Valuable Features

The entire virtualization element has allowed us to utilize the hardware more efficiently.

Improvements to My Organization

Instead of having one application for every physical host, we can run 30-40 on the same physical host.

Room for Improvement

I think the updates allowing me to run through the VCSA appliance could be better.

Fantastic – I love vMotion.

Its been working out great for us.

Our technical support is through HP, but we've had very few issues, and it's been great for us.

It was way too easy.

Pricing, Setup Cost and Licensing

We look at the price point per performance, performance first and then how much it costs.

Other Solutions

Sr. IT System Engineer at a tech services company with 501-1,000 employees
                            We can cluster storage and make it HA-aware, deploying it across our smaller remote offices without local IT staff.
                            Monitoring Tools Analyst at a individual & family service with 10,001+ employees
                            We're able to have all VMs use the ESXi and to move all blades without ever affecting the user experience.

What other advice do I have?

Without explicitly saying look at VMWare, understand what functions you need in your products, look at different vendors and what they claim to provide, and then bring them in house to see if they deliver on their claims. They have to pass all of the tests that your company needs.
                            Infrastructure Engineer at a tech services company with 501-1,000 employees
                            It allows us to be flexible-- every time we need a new server we don’t need a new physical box.

What other advice do I have?

You can't go wrong with VMware. The stability and the flexibility it allows, they do it best compared to competitors. Peer reviews are fairly important, but I try to form my opinion from a POC over anything else.
                            Sr. Server Engineer at a financial services firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
                            We can manage it from a single pane of glass, although the web client is disappointing.

Valuable Features

It enables vMotion, DRS, and HA.

Improvements to My Organization

The ability to consolidate and portability, flexibility, and DR. The management thereof is a single pane of glass.

Room for Improvement

The web client is botched.

There's not many problems with it.

It's very scalable and increasingly so because of what they’re doing with applicances. There's no trade-off between maximums of Windows and appliances.

Since they outsourced it, response times are not what they used to be.

It’s now very easy. It was harder, but now there are more deployment options, scripts, auto-deploy, and you can have full automation or manual, with a smaller footprint.
                            Sr. Server Engineer at a financial services firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
                            Its ability to perform consolidations has improved our company, though its stability on Dell servers needs work.

Valuable Features

vMotion DRS HA

Improvements to My Organization

The ability to perform consolidation and it's portability, flexibility, and DR capability.

Room for Improvement

None that I can think of. It's a nicely-evolved product.

Overall, it’s very stable. I'm very impressed, except when running on Dell, but it works on Cisco blades.

It's very scalable, and you can add more as needs dictate. It depends on the ratio and goals for consolidation, so you can scale as you need.

The quality is not quite what it used to be since it was outsourced.

It’s now very easy, was harder but now more deployment options, scripts, auto-deploy, can have full automation or manual, smaller…
                            Sr. Systems Engineer at a real estate/law firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
                            It simplifies the management of our 30 VMs and allows us to move our DR location from one state to another. The alerting function, however, is unclear both in emails and on the console.

What other advice do I have?

Make sure you get training on use, and deployment because you won’t know what you’re getting into.
                            Sr. Systems Engineer at a real estate/law firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
                            The vMotion feature allows us to migrate VMs from one physical server to another with no downtime, though I'd suggest training prior to deployment.

What other advice do I have?

Make sure you get training on its use and deployment, because you won’t know what you’re getting into.
                            Systems Engineering Associate Manager with 1,001-5,000 employees
                            It allows a more efficient way to increase/decrease the server inventory.
                            Executive Vice President at a construction company with 501-1,000 employees
                            Before implementing, I suggest you set up a couple of machines in a practice lab.

What is most valuable?

The virtualization is the valuable feature.

How has it helped my organization?

It's much easier to manage than a pile of hardware. We are also able to roll out new ideas to the users quicker.

What needs improvement?

The web-based access is flaky. It needs to have a built in backup ability, and the update manager needs to be its own appliance.

I've been using it for four or five years.

It does not like working with the older Intel NICs nor the Realtek NICs, but I was able to work around that.

Customer Service: The one customer service issue I have had is almost three months old and still unresolved (that…
                            Senior IT Engineer at a manufacturing company with 501-1,000 employees
                            It now has an easier configuration so new server deployments don't take much time anymore.

What other advice do I have?

Stick with vSphere as long as they don't screw up the product.
                            Technical lead - Infrastructure Consulting / Transformation at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employees
                            This product has helped to reduce the number of physical x86 servers, reducing CAPEX cost.

What is most valuable?

DRS HA vMotion vConverter Distributed switch

How has it helped my organization?

This product has help to reduce the number of physical x86 servers from 500 to 150. This has saved server hardware costs, data center floor space, power, and cooling. This has significantly reduced the CAPEX cost.

What needs improvement?

It needs to be easier to integrate with open cloud.

I've used it for nine years.

Deploying the older v3 and v3.5 had lots of issues, but the morerecent v4, v5, and v5.5 version are much easier to deploy.

The product is stable.

Network/Systems Administrator at a insurance company with 501-1,000 employees
                            It's helped to reduce the overall physical footprint of the environment and to improve availability times.

What other advice do I have?

Yes, we evaluated Hyper-V 2012. From previous experience as well as feedback from the community we decided to move forward with VMware.
                            Senior Systems Engineer at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
                            It gives us the ability to manage thousands of servers from a centralized point because it supports migration between hardware and consolidated workloads.

What other advice do I have?

I’d grab the software from their site - you can deploy it and use it for 60 days free of charge, so whether you’re doing a large or small deployment try it out and see if it works. You can also engage with technical support services. The software is free, so grab it and play with it.
                            IT Administrator and Sr. VMware Engineer at a retailer with 501-1,000 employees
                            We needed to improve our response times for server deployment, SLA, testing, templates, and storage.

What other advice do I have?

Evaluating migration to vSphere 6.0 in brief. I'm currently taking vSphere 6.0 courses and reading a lot, including writing a lot in my blog about this version. The improvements are really big and we wait more announces in VMware World 2015 very soon.
                            Owner at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
                            The Distributed Virtual Switch can be configured once and then promoted to all servers.

What other advice do I have?

Look at the total product – if you’re comparing it to Citrix and Microsoft, look at all the features VMWare is hosting in your product and make a comparison. Also, understand your plans – what do you want to do, what’s your vision, and how does it match what you’re looking to buy?
                            Operations Support Analyst at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employees
                            Multiple VMs can run on a single host and have a single point of management.

What other advice do I have?

Plan it properly and skip 5.1 if possible. I would avoid 6.0 until Update 1 is out, so any initial bugs can be ironed out.
                            System Administrator at a cloud provider with 51-200 employees
                            With its availability and scalability, we've moved to a cloud paradigm with infrastructure that combines storage and networking elements in a single software layer.

What other advice do I have?

Before installing this product, try to design all the components, and don't be shy asking for comparisons or sharing your experience. Often design guidelines are the result of customer implementations, and different points of view. Before bringing it into production in your environment, execute hardening procedures. If you are working for an ISP, where network admin rules an IT organization, try to get control of all networking devices connected to all services provided by your platform. Often, ISP network administrators are specialized in internet networking, and often they don't know data…
                            Systems Engineer at a engineering company with 501-1,000 employees
                            It's given us faster provisioning after consolidating all our physical machines onto it, especially with VMotion.

What other advice do I have?

We were seeking a green and an efficient solution for our datacenter. We found vSphere to be a great product and decided to become their customer. When working with vSphere, I think you always have to take three things into consideration: * Know your system requirements - are there any compatibility issues, or performance impacts etc. * Monitor the current physical infrastructure so you have a specific resource consumption, and can then develop the best investment plan * Make a transformation plan from the physical infrastructure to the virtualized one
                            Systems Support Analyst at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
                            High Availability works with a series of sub-features that ensure customer resources are online during critical changes.

What other advice do I have?

It is necessary to be sure about the systems that will be migrated to a virtualized environment. Although nowadays virtualization is at an advanced stage, some systems still present problems when they are migrated from a physical server to a virtualized one. Systems that require too much performance need to have a different configuration, then it's a necessary study on how to implement them.
                            System Administrator at a university with 1,001-5,000 employees
                            We've used it to move 80% of our servers to a virtual environment, but it lacks a good built-in backup feature.

What other advice do I have?

It is a very good solution and it is stable.
                            VMware Consultant at a media company with 1,001-5,000 employees
                            With its High Availability feature, it's become a standard hypervisor with our customers, though the VDI could use improvement.

What other advice do I have?

I would encourage you to try this solution not just for Labs, but for production and DRP solutions. I know there are many others out there, and some very good ones, but VMware has been evolving in the right direction, and it is still the benchmark for all the others.
                            Virtualization and Cloud Consultant at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
                            It has fast server provisioning and improves disaster recovery.

What other advice do I have?

Go ahead and implement it as you will enjoy using it.
                            Storage and VMware Expert at a comms service provider with 1,001-5,000 employees
                            We can use all the resources available on the servers without losing CPU or memory resources.

What other advice do I have?

Go ahead and get it as this product is very, very stable.
                            Analista de Suporte Sênior Especializado at TIVIT
                            MSP
                            With the High Availability feature, we have more confidence that the virtual servers are secured.

What other advice do I have?

Take the time to study vSphere to get to know more about the product. There are a lot of documentation and labs available to help a person develop the skills required to work with vSphere.
                            System Engineer with 10,001+ employees
                            By centralizing the customization process while removing common hardware problems, it makes the provisioning and deployment of virtual servers and clients quick and predictable.

What other advice do I have?

Have a plan for system virtualization before pursuing vSphere. Often, the actual needs of an organization, particularly small and medium sized, are overestimated which leads to spending more for a product or product license than is necessary.
                            IT Systems Administrator at a tech company with 10,001+ employees
                            With vMotion, High Availability, and Distributed Resource Scheduler, we're able to administer hardware resources in a better way. But, it could use better DRS-friendly functions.

What other advice do I have?

Review the SLAs with customers and provide several options describing cost/benefits to them.
                            Programmer at a tech company with 1,001-5,000 employees
                            We're able to to build, test, and take snapshots of VM's on a daily basis.

What is most valuable?

The out-of-box application works well even without customization. vCenter web UI is great.

How has it helped my organization?

I work on it daily and it's easy to build VM's and take snapshots. I can also test the VM's as much as I want.

What needs improvement?

vCenter web UI has the occasional bug. Sometimes it takes a while until the VM responds to a mouse click.

I've used it for six months.

None.

Haven't yet needed to scale.

Customer Service: Haven't needed customer service.…
                            CEO with 51-200 employees
                            We have been able to create stable, enterprise-level services with it as the core product.
                            IT Director with 501-1,000 employees
                            We needed to reduce the number of physical servers and maximize CPU usage.

Valuable Features

Redundancy Speed Security

Improvements to My Organization

I had 300 physical servers, but now I need only six. It’s less noisy, much cheaper, and has less of a tendency to get hot.

Room for Improvement

I want to see a better hypervisor.

Use of Solution

I've used it for five years, since.

Deployment requires a special proficiency.

The product has good stability.

The stability is perfect, as long as you can afford it.

Customer Service: We work with a company that provides this service. Technical Support: We work with a company that provides this service.

It was complex as we have many sites. Therefore, we needed to decide if we…
                            Vice President at a tech vendor with 51-200 employees
                            Leaderboard
                            The Dell PowerEdge M520 is a general purpose server that scales very well.
                            The Dell PowerEdge M520 is a dual cpu socket, half-height blade server that offers up to 20 processor cores and 12 DIMMs per node with up to 16 other half height blades being deployed in a single M1000e blade enclosure. This powerful yet compact server is a great general purpose machine that offers scalability and performance in any size business. Like other PowerEdge M series blade servers, the M520 operates independently of other blades in the m1000e and has the ability to mix different types of M series servers in the same enclosure. The M520 uses the Intel C602 chipset and take up to two Intel Xeon E5-2400 or E5-2400 V2 series chips. For each blade, a total of 12 DIMM slots are available for a potential total of 384GB of RAM spread between 3 channels for each CPU.…
                            System Administrator at a cloud provider with 51-200 employees
                            We were able to transition from 20-25 physical servers on three to four racks to 500 VM's on 16 physical servers.

What other advice do I have?

First try this product, evaluate the infrastructure sustainability, and purchase the correct license that fits your needs.
                            Technology Consultant, ASEAN at a tech services company with 501-1,000 employees
                            vSphere vs. Hyper-V
                            Recently I got some questions about this one. Who is better? Or who is cheaper? I was worked in VMware and Microsoft, both covered virtualization products. Now, I’m working in one of Cloud Datacenter with many platform like Sun Solaris (Oracle), IBM AS400, IBM iSeries, IBM pSeries, Microsoft Hyper-V (the first Partner Hosted Productivity Cloud – PHPC in Asia), and VMware technologies (vSphere, vCloud and vCAC). Based on that, don’t think too much about the platform. The most important is the SLA. All platforms is good as long as we manage the SLA. And use the most suitable platform for your applications. If you want to use Microsoft, then Windows Hyper-V 2012R2 is the right one. Don’t use any version below Windows 2012R2. Anyway, back to the questions. Let’s make a simple…
                            Virtualization Architect at a tech services company with 501-1,000 employees
                            Replication: VMware vSphere vs. Veeam Backup
                            VMware introduced replication in vSphere 5.5. The biggest limitation is that it only provides a single restore point only. This is an immediate show stopper for most customers. Multiple restore points are absolutely essential, because just like "good" data, any corruption/virus/dataloss from the source VM is immediately replicated to target VM, and if you don't spot the problem and perform failover to replica fast enough (before the next replication cycle) - which is going to be impossible in most cases - then you are done. Other limitations • No failback • No traffic compression • No traffic throttling • No swap exclusion • No network customization (network mapping) • No re-IP upon failover • Minimum possible RPO is 15 minutes • Basic VSS quiescing (no application-aware…
                            Head of Infrastructure at a financial services firm with 51-200 employees
                            Improved webclient. Unfortunately it's still not in HTML5.
                            So it’s finally here! The long-awaited release of vSphere 6.0, has been released, and will ready for download medio March we’ve been told. I’ve done a small write-up of some of the new features in this release. Release cycles As seen at VMworld, where many customers thought that VMware would release vSphere 6.0, VMware has adopted a strategy of longer release cycles of the core component vSphere. So instead of a yearly release we are most likely to see roughly 18 months release cycles instead. This is because the hypervisor needs to be stable all the time, and not something you’d need to upgrade all the time. On the other hand products like vRealize Operations or vRealize Automation Center will see shorter release cycles. I’m really liking this approach, as the hypervisor…
                            Practice Manager - Cloud, Automation & DevOps at a tech services company with 501-1,000 employees
                            VMware vSphere 6.0 features "brain-dump"
                            Originally posted at vcdx133.com. The amazing VMware vSphere 6.0 has just been announced and will be released in March 2015! Michael Webster wrote a great article about the significance of vSphere 6.0 that is worth reading. This a “brain-dump” of the impressive new features and improvements Enhancement of vCenter Server architecture – SSO has evolved to the multi-service Platform Services Controller (SSO, Licencing, Certificate Authority, Certificate Store, Service Registration). vCenter Server Appliance – supports large (1000 hosts, 10,000 VMs) environments and Linked Mode Enhanced Linked Mode for vCenter – Microsoft ADAM has been replaced with a VMware “native Replication Technology” where vCSA is supported and Policies and Tags are also replicated. IP version 6 – Static…
                            Virtualization Consultant at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employees
                            The web client could be improved. Features I like include: High Availability, DRS, SDRS, DvSwitch, NIOC.

Valuable Features:

High Availability, DRS, SDRS, DvSwitch, NIOC

Improvements to My Organization:

Better management of the virtual infrastructure

Room for Improvement:

Web Client, SSO

Use of Solution:

1.5 years

Deployment Issues:

Scalability Issues:

Senior Cloud Engineer at a comms service provider with 51-200 employees
                            Top Reviewer
                            v6 Webclient - I can’t say it’s been an overly positive experience, largely because of browser compatibility issues rather the the design of the webclient itself.
                            Summary: The vSphere Webclient has been around since vSphere 5.0 but it’s fighting an uphill battle to gain user acceptance. I’ve recently tried using it as my primary administration tool with mixed success. Recently I’ve been rebuilding my home lab to test out new features in vSphere6 among others. As VMware have been very vocal about moving to the webclient I thought it was about time I took the plunge and started using it in anger – after all it’s been out for several years and like many others until now I’ve stuck with the C# client. Unfortunately I can’t say it’s been an overly positive experience, largely because of browser compatibility issues rather the the design of the webclient itself. To be fair it does seem faster than in earlier releases. VMware KB2005083 lists the…
                            Regional IT at a maritime company with 501-1,000 employees
                            We did a comparison between Microsoft Hyper-V and VMWare. In the end, VMWare won the battle of evaluation.

Valuable Features:

Robust, reliable, ease of use, good value for money and reduced Total Cost of Ownership (TCO)

Improvements to My Organization:

Reduced TCO through the elimination of physical servers into virtual servers.

Use of Solution:

Since 2010

Deployment Issues:

No. Setup and installation takes less than 20 minutes.

Excellent.

Initial Setup:

Setup was straightforward.  Even an entry-level IT engineer could follow the instructions on the screen with ease.

Implementation Team:

In-house team.

Cost and Licensing Advice:

Daily usage is for Critical Business Applications to the users.

Other Solutions Considered:

Solutions Architect with 51-200 employees
                            Hopefully Long-Distance vMotion is only going to get better.
                            One of the major new features of vSphere 6 is the ability to vMotion over very long distances. With previous releases of vSphere the maximum network Round Trip Time (RTT) was 10 ms which equates to a distance of almost 400 miles. With Long-Distance vMotion the RTT has been increased to a whopping 100 ms which increases the distance to 4,000 miles – far enough to move a VM from London to New York. Of course you do still require a L2 stretched network (L2 adjacency) which is where technologies like vSphere NSX come in, but what about the storage? vSphere 5.1 introduced Enhanced vMotion which combined vMotion and Storage vMotion into a single operation so that shared storage was no longer required – essentially Long-Distance vMotion moves all of the storage for a given VM along with…
                            Senior System Engineer with 1,001-5,000 employees
                            The web GUI isn't a worthy replacement for the standalone one but it is ​cheap and fast to deploy new servers

What is most valuable?

Cheap and fast to deploy new servers.

How has it helped my organization?

Faster server deployment.

What needs improvement?

Standalone GUI dismissed, the web GUI isn't a worthy replacement.

Seven years.

No issues encountered.

As long as the network and storage attached are running fine, you have nothing to worry about.

Monitor your RAM usage closely and you will be fine.

Customer Service: Very good. Technical Support: Very good.

CIO at Robusta Technology & Training
                            vSphere vs. RHEV vs. Hyper-V vs. XenServer

What other advice do I have?

* VMware vSphere 5.5 should be invested in for virtualization infrastructure as it is cheap, effective, and stable. It also meets more requirements than other products. * Investment decisions VDI technology did its review on the actual needs for each person/group/ department needs and had professional software for it and they decided to use VDI. * In the process of deploying VDI, the application should be virtualized, shared services should be enhanced, and limited desktop virtual machines for the particular user.s (e.g. design engineers need 3D GPU rendering, chief accountant, architect…
                            RR
                            VMware Engineer at a tech company with 501-1,000 employees
                            I've found that it’s still the leading hypervisor on the market. Needs improvements to the Fault Tolerance feature.

What other advice do I have?

From my personal experiences I've found that it’s still the leading hypervisor on the market.
                            Sr. System Engineer VMW Specialist at a government with 501-1,000 employees
                            We condensed our whole Data Center into three 42U racks, less power consumption, less space, less network switches.

What other advice do I have?

VMware is a great virtualization solution. But, if your servers are very performance-demanded, my suggestion is you must also study the shared vLUN, SAN VV and VM’s IOPs requirement. Don’t just create vLUN and dump any VM into the vLUN. Some programmers and DBAs do not have ideas of how much IOPs their applications or database servers are needed. You will experience performance issues. This is not a problem when you use physical server because physical server resources are not shared.
                            System Administartor at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
                            We were able to use ESXi to centralize the server farm. I recommend documenting everything.

What other advice do I have?

Always have a plan for the work document everything.
                            Manager of Infrastructure at a tech services company with 501-1,000 employees
                            Proven to be very stable; systems run unattended...Citrix on the other hand allows you to easily mount iso files.

What other advice do I have?

Its the most production ready virtual platform.
                            Consultant at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
                            Cost effective and best solution available. Compatibility with non-standard devices should be improved.

What other advice do I have?

* For companies comparing this to Hyper-V, this is still the gold VM solution. While Hyper-V is catching up, it’s still has a way to go. * For small companies, I really advise to go for Essentials Plus. This gives you proper small scale HA capabilities and it gives you tech support. Essentials provides no technical support.
                            Assistant Design Manager with 1,001-5,000 employees
                            Works wonders. Very useful product for trying different software products. All the tools are very easy to use.
                            Vice President at a aerospace/defense firm with 51-200 employees
                            ​Exponentially easier to manage servers, but plan for more storage than you think.

What is most valuable?

Robust, functional, reliable, ease of use, good value.

How has it helped my organization?

Exponentially easier to manage servers.

Since 2009.

None

Customer Service: Excellent. Technical Support: Excellent.

No - prior was physical one up servers.

Straightforward.

In-house plus one consultant.

Considered Hyper V. …
                            Asst. System Maintenance Manager at a manufacturing company with 501-1,000 employees
                            The best VM hypervisor

What other advice do I have?

For small-to-medium business, I would recommend to install ESXi on USB stick or SD card. It provides more flexibility and lower cost to setup the virtual platform.
                            IT Representative at a manufacturing company with 51-200 employees
                            VMware pays for itself with the increase in efficiency. With ESXi make sure the hardware matches the compatibility list.

What other advice do I have?

Plan, plan, plan. Always plan out your network changes, test those changes, implement, monitor, and note take along the way. Aside from that, do it.
                            Infra Director with 51-200 employees
                            Enables combining many physical servers but is pricey
                            Use of Solution:  I have been using the solution for 7 years. Valuable Features: Reliability, Flexibility, High Availability; Vmware enables virtual servers to instantly move from 1 physical server to another with no user downtime. Improvements To Organization: Enables combining many physical servers to a few or one. Room For Improvement: The price could be lower. Deployment Issues: No issues with deployment. Stability Issues: No issues with stability. Scalability Issues: No issues with scalability. Customer Service: Very good customer service. Technical Support: Very good technical support. Previous Solutions: Yes, we previously used Citrix Xenserver and Microsoft HyperV. Initial Setup: It was straightforward, but you need training first. Implementation Team: We implemented through an…
                            User at a non-tech company with 501-1,000 employees
                            Improved our server consolidation and research work but lacks live migration features

What is most valuable?

Hypervisor, VM deployment, Migration, Dynamic frequency scaling.

How has it helped my organization?

Server consolidation and Research work.

What needs improvement?

SDK of vCenter server PowerCLI lacks live migration features.

3 years.

vCenter server installation is really a headache.

Often the virtual disks are corrupted if servers are shut down due to power fluctuation.

vCenter comes with strict licensing which is not only expensive but also not realistic.

Customer Service: Have not experienced…
                            Senior Manager of Network at a tech company with 51-200 employees
                            I have tried XenServer, Hyper V, & KVM...but ESXi has been doing it better for longer

What other advice do I have?

Assess why you think virtualisation is the answer to your problem. Research hypervisor choices, perform Proof of Concept exercises with those products you choose to assess and most of all think about the legacy of what you're doing. i.e. what do you want to leave behind?
                            Engineer at a financial services firm with 501-1,000 employees
                            VMware ESXi is better than its predessor, ESX 3 & 4.

What other advice do I have?

Since I don't have experience with other solutions, except Vmware, I like it and recommend others who are looking for such a solution to consider talking to VMware.
                            Founder & Principal Architect at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employees
                            VMware's vSphere is THE industry leading virtualization platform - today

What other advice do I have?

VMware's vSphere is currently THE industry leading virtualization platform. I have been using VMware vSphere and its predecessors for almost ten years now. The core hypervisor continues to lead the industry. At the present time, you cannot go wrong with VMware's vSphere suite. However, competitors are rapidly closing the gap, so watch the market closely over the next few years. I implement business-critical applications on vSphere for all sizes of business almost daily, and am proud to be a virtualization enthusiast. At the moment, VMware vSphere is my hypervisor of choice - without…
                            VMware vSphere 5.5 Review
                            The industry’s flagship virtualization platform, VMware’s vSphere, reached its latest release in September of 2013 with the launch of version 5.5. I am a ‘best tool for the job’ sort of technologist, and strive to stay impartial and always recommend the right product for the purpose. Currently, this release is better than any other hypervisor on the market in many ways, such as performance, scalability, management, and automation. I make this statement unequivocally and without bias because I believe so strongly in this product. Every environment that I encounter in my job has some sort of VMware infrastructure powering some set of its critical business applications. The core of the platform is the server-level virtualization hypervisor, VMware ESXi. It is a bare metal hypervisor that gets…
                            Infrastructure Expert at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
                            This server class product is very stable, but expensive.

Valuable Features:

This server class product is very stable, I have been using it for more than 7 years, previous versions were named different with less bugs. No downtime.

Room for Improvement:

Pricing can be considered as measure block small and mid range companies. Company needs to think in this direction as well.
                            Chief Executive Officer at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employees
                            Provides adaptive and cost effective security services within a single management framework
                            The VMware vShield family provides adaptive and cost effective security services within a single management framework for securing virtual datacenters and cloud environments at all levels-host, network, applications, data and endpoint. The vShield products are built from the ground up to protect virtualized infrastructure more efficiently and economically than legacy physical approaches to security relied upon by vSphere competitors. vShield products enforce security at the ESXi hypervisor level and are managed by specialized virtual appliances to make security virtualization-aware. The vShield product family includes, VMware vShield Zones, VMware vShield App, VMware vShield App with Data Security, VMware vShield Edge, VMware vShield Endpoint and VMware vShield Manager.
                            Senior Technical Product Marketing Manager at SnapLogic
                            Leaderboard
                            VMware vSphere Rocks

What is most valuable?

vSphere is very easy to navigate and manage.

How has it helped my organization?

As a Tech Mktg Engineer, this product helps us develop test environments quickly.

What needs improvement?

The scroll window of processes at the bottom of the UI for the vSphere client is sometimes is hard to adjust.

About 4 months

Customer Service: I did not have to contact them.Technical Support: n/a

n/a. It was…
                            Consultant at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
                            Great product with great feature set (edition license). Manageability, scalabilty, transportation and low footprint.

What other advice do I have?

Don't be intimidated by all the possible functions and comparison reports out there. Look what is needed for your requirements and match to available editions. Also when looking into costs, take the whole into account (not just initial costs, but also consolidation ratios, managebilty and the returns you get from those.)
                            Infrastructure Expert at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
                            Pros are that it is easy to use but it is hard to have certified resources for it

Valuable Features:

HA, DRS, VMotion, Storage VMotion

Use of Solution:

2 years

Initial Setup:

Every thing was straight forward and can easily/readily be found on Internet

Implementation Team:

In-house small deployment
                            Consultant at a tech services company with 501-1,000 employees
                            Rock solid, great support, large vision, overall stands alone.

What other advice do I have?

Definitely have a plan before implementing. Don't rush. It is crucial to think years out so you don't have to redo any architecture because you didn't plan for growth, DR/BC or working out of the cloud. If resources are tight to gather, it would be beneficial to reach out to your favorite consulting team to gather advice.
                            Systems Analyst at a government with 51-200 employees
                            Excellent Customer Service & Technical Support but make sure your hardware is compatible
                            For how long have you used this product? - 4 Years Which features of this product are most valuable to you? - Fault Tolerance (FT) - vSphere Distributed Resources Scheduler (DRS) Can you give an example of how this product has improved the way your organization functions? - Making your infrastructure simpler and more efficient. Applications get deployed faster, performance and availability increase and operations become automated, What areas of this product have room for improvement? - Networking Did you encounter any issues with deployment, stability or scalability? - We haven't had any issues during deployment. Did you previously use a different solution and if so, why did you switch? - Yes. Citrix Xenserver. We switched it to VMware ESXI because its easier to…
                            Best virtualization product available
                            I have worked with VMware products for just over 5 years at this point, and during that time frame have compared with competing virtualization products. I believe that VMware Esxi is the BEST hypervisor available. If you have a virtualization project then this is the route to go, although I will concede that MS Hyper-V may be appropriate for some small businesses with just a couple of servers to virtualize. Deploying Esxi is very simple, install the package on the host, open the vSphere client, and you are ready to go. The setup can be very simple if you are using local storage, or in-depth if using network storage and wanting to customize the virtual network configuration. regardless, the tasks are simple and easy to understand. If you run into an issue, VMware documentation is very…
                            Consultant at a tech consulting company with 51-200 employees
                            Microsoft Hyper-V vs VMware vSphere
                            One topic that gets discussed quite often is Microsoft Hyper-V vs VMware vSphere, and a quick Google search for comparisons will return at least several hundred thousand hits. There seems to be a large number of posts and articles trying to make a case that one is better than the other by listing and comparing features of the hypervisors themselves one by one. The purpose of this post is not to claim that one platform is better than the other. Is that the best way to really compare the different virtualization technologies as a whole, or should we take a step back and really look at differences in approach for the virtual infrastructure and/or virtual ecosystems' Microsoft: In my opinion, Microsoft is defining and building their virtualization infrastructure as an extension or expansion…
                            IT Administrator at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
                            Excellent product as compared to other Hypervisors
                            Pros: a reliable hyper-visor with a thin architecture, requires minimal configuration and can be up and running in minutes. Management is simple. Cons: None, we have a very good experience in its deployment and usage.
                            Director of IT at a manufacturing company with 1,001-5,000 employees
                            Good entry level product

Valuable Features:

Great product for users stepping into virtualization and consolidation

Room for Improvement:

Management requires vCenter, with additional expense

Other Advice:

This makes sense for smaller companies that are looking to start the consolidation process, or smaller divisions of large companies.
                            Director of IT at a manufacturing company with 1,001-5,000 employees
                            Very stable and contributes to high uptime. Reduced our data center power and cooling costs.
                            Virtualization Counsultant at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
                            The only way to use vmware features like HA, FT, and DRS.
                            It is best way to manage your virtualization in your company and its the only way to use vmware features like HA, FT, DRS and so many other features that vmware provides.
                            Virtualization Counsultant at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
                            Fast, manageable, and secure. But no web interface without vCenter

Valuable Features:

Fast Manageable Secure Low overhead

Room for Improvement:

Little expensive Needs a lot of dependencies No web interface without vCenter
                            Engineer at a insurance company with 1,001-5,000 employees
                            vSphere 5.1 – Lesser publicized, neat improvements.
                            There are a lot of neat improvements in vSphere 5.1, but it’s worth mentioning some of the neat features that may not be getting as much publicity. Below are some of the features in the release documentation that aren’t in the “What’s New in vSphere 5.1” one-pager, and so-far I haven’t seen nearly enough excitement about thus far. These are features that an engineer will enjoy, but the engineer’s boss might not care so much about 32 Nodes Accessing VMDK Simultaneously on VMFS: This is an important improvement for VMware View workloads using Linked Clones as it allows for higher density clusters. Previously, VMFS only supported 8 nodes accessing a VMDK, and to overcome that then the architect had to use NFS. VMFS and NFS now support the same number of nodes to a read-only file with View…
                            Technical Architect at a tech company with 1,001-5,000 employees
                            VMware ESXi rocks

Valuable Features:

Brilliant hyper-visor with proven virtualization stack.

Room for Improvement:

You need to learn the internals of the system to really customize and reap all benefits.
                            Developer at a university with 51-200 employees
                            Formerly the Leading First Generation, Free of Charge Virtualization Server of VMware
                            Student at a university with 501-1,000 employees
                            The best product of VMware.

Valuable Features:

Easy to use and manage.

Room for Improvement:

More tutorials to use the tool.
                            Senior Manager of Infrastructure at a non-tech company with 1,001-5,000 employees
                            vSphere Review

What other advice do I have?

Advice: - VMware is not the only game in town anymore - Look at your requirements: - If you are a small to medium shop other server virtualization products may provide what you need - If you are a large shop I would recommendVMware
                            Senior Manager of Infrastructure with 1,001-5,000 employees
                            Our current virtualization standar platform, but Hyper-V 2012 version functionality appears to gain on VMware vSphere

What other advice do I have?

Things to consider before purchasing VMware or Hyper-V: • Understand your virtualization objectives and requirements before purchase. Assess all requirements against VMware or Hyper-V licensing cost and edition functionality • Define a strategy for resource intensive applications (large CPU or memory requirements) and when to stay standalone vs. virtual • Implement processes to control “VM sprawl” as VM provisioning process is so simple. • Consider other process efficiencies that virtualization may drive (i.e. Service Catalog) • Ensure IT staff gets proper training. The learning curve can be…
                            AM
                            Senior Techical Support Engineer at A Cloud Compute Company
                            * User friendly and not complex. * Easy to...
                            Head of Data Center at a university with 1,001-5,000 employees
                            An excellent product with proven track record. Plan properly the deployment and use as this products is expensive.

What other advice do I have?

It is also recommend to get a reliable partner for integrating the software with the hardware system. As vSphere has numerous features, an inexperienced integrator or un-trained in-house administrator might not be able to configure fully all features necessary to maximize the product.
                            Partner at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
                            Reseller
                            Ease of use, functionality, established product, works very...

Valuable Features:

Disclosure: My company is a VMware reseller. Ease of use, functionality, established product, works very will with almost any prime time OS, very thought-out application, works with the developer community to improve, has deep pocket organization like EMC to help propel them into the future

Room for Improvement:

Moved away from local/domain end-user authentication to a single-sign on authentication mechanism, introduced a single-point of failure, added additional complexity that came be overcome with proper training
                            Head of Infrastructure at a energy/utilities company with 501-1,000 employees
                            The best product for critical server virtual infrastructure.

What other advice do I have?

Now I lead the Upgrade to vSphere 5.1 project in my Company. SSO installation are strange... need to involve DBA in this process. Scripts are not good... This installation must be re-produced. But new features are very great and interesting.
                            Partner at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
                            Comparison of VMware, Citrix and MS Hyper-V
                            Disclosure: My company is a VMware reseller. What I have found is as follows: VMware: - Easier to setup, established product, works with most OSs - Is owned by EMC (1 storage vendor) and has plenty of development resources - Constantly improves, has an established upgrade process - Just works, seems to be very flexible and is ready for production environment - Has relationships with many organizations where they continue to improve (features and benefits) especially when it comes to networking (virtual networking - able to control the packets ability to traverse the network using an application) - Storage virtualization has improved along with giving vendors the ability to develop API's to work with their solution - Has integrated with Powershell to allow for automated VM…
                            IT Administrator at a media company with 51-200 employees
                            Used to be a very good product but now is being replaced by some other of its types.

Valuable Features:

Easy to use and provides centralized management. With that, it is free and provides a very simple and easy web and also remote interface to interact with the product.

Room for Improvement:

The only problem with it is that it is now in the category of obsolete products. Though its still very good, but its support and updates won't be available.
                            IT Administrator at a media company with 51-200 employees
                            Despite its minor issues, it's still the choice of most of the System Admins.
                            Fast and Reliable Virtualization Solution
                            Head of Infrastructure at a comms service provider with 51-200 employees
                            Highly usable but cannot be managed from Linux.

Valuable Features:

Most usable hypervisor in the industry. It's well documented, really simple and quick to setup.

Room for Improvement:

You can not manage it from Linux.
                            VMware Server: Still one of the best virtualization tool

What other advice do I have?

All these features mean that VMware Server is a great platform for personal experimentation or light business use. I've personally had a VMware Server host with a couple guest machines running continuously since 2009.
                            CIO at a consultancy with 51-200 employees
                            DR/BCP friendly, but hard to justify annual maintenance vs. HyperV

Valuable Features:

Greatly consolidated my server infrastructure; DR/BCP friendly

Room for Improvement:

Hard to justify annual maintenance vs. HyperV
                            Senior Site Infrastructure Engineer at Kurungsiku
                            Old, almost dead, but still great software to play with, but not for your production environment

What other advice do I have?

Not the best choice if you want to start learning virtualization. You better choose VMware Player, or VirtualBox if you want to run virtualization software on your desktop or VMware vSphere Hypervisor and XenServer Free edition if you want a free virtualization software on a dedicated machine.
                            Network Engineer at a retailer with 51-200 employees
                            VMware contributes a lot to virtualization with its better security and load management techniques.

What other advice do I have?

A major issue with this server is that there are several free solutions offered. These are very appealing because of the virtualization rollout that cuts costs. If your intention is to decrease costs by using the VMware Server instead of several machines for several servers, the horsepower of the VMware hardware should be very powerful or every virtual machine will experience a mess.
                            Infrastructure Expert at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employees
                            Free Hypervisor from VMWare

What other advice do I have?

All in all, it is an excellent solution that I have deployed in multiple locations and organizations.
                            Infrastructure Expert at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employees
                            Excellent tool for its time, but there are better solutions now.

What other advice do I have?

As of now, OracleVM (formerly known as VirtualBox), is an excellent solution that is open-source and freely available for download.
                            Data Center Expert at a insurance company with 501-1,000 employees
                            Vmware ESXi - innovation, changing the old traditional ways

What other advice do I have?

This gives the technology lovers an opportunity to do all the things they want or need to do at the same time.
                            Senior Manager of Data Center at a integrator with 51-200 employees
                            VMware Server is the best available virtualization solution with live migration, high availability, and dynamic resources

What other advice do I have?

One of the cutting edge virtualization technologies offered by VMware works on platforms like Windows, Linux, and Solaris. It facilitates an application developer to test applications on virtual machines with ease of configuration and management. It provides visibility at each and every level of virtual infrastructure.
                            Head of Data Center at a university with 1,001-5,000 employees
                            Easy to install and configure, but lacks central management

What other advice do I have?

The downside to the free version is that you can only use it on a server with a maximum of 32GB memory. Also, you cannot manage multiple ESXi instances with the management client. You have to log-in individually to each server running the free version of EXSi. These limitations are surely a setback considering other competing products do not have these limitations and even offer features which are only available in paid versions of VMware.