VMware Workspace ONE OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

VMware Workspace ONE is the #3 ranked solution in our list of top Enterprise Mobility Management (EMM) tools. It is most often compared to Microsoft Intune: VMware Workspace ONE vs Microsoft Intune

What is VMware Workspace ONE?

Workspace ONE is a digital workspace platform that simply and securely delivers and manages any app on any device by integrating access control, application management and multi-platform endpoint management. It is available as a cloud service or for on-premises deployment.

VMware Workspace ONE is also known as VMware AirWatch.

VMware Workspace ONE Buyer's Guide

Download the VMware Workspace ONE Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: August 2021

VMware Workspace ONE Customers
Australian Sports Commission, Stockport NHS Foundation Trust, Lomond School, Merck, United Bank, Medical College of Wisconsin, Latymer Upper School, 2gether NHS Foundation Trust, Dowling Aaron Inc., Trillium Lakelands District School Board, Harrogate Grammar School, Duke University Football, Delta Air Lines, Adventist Health System, Giochi Preziosi, Cramlington Learning Village, Intermountain Healthcare, Safexpress, TAG Aviation
VMware Workspace ONE Video

Pricing Advice

What users are saying about VMware Workspace ONE pricing:
  • "The solution runs at roughly around $36/user for a year."
  • "It is quite expensive, but I think large companies have agreements with these organizations that provide remote monitoring for phones, and they get massive discounts. The public price does not reflect what they pay. You won't get the same pricing if you're buying for 10 employees versus 1,000 employees. On the public price, you get perhaps a 10% discount, but if you're buying 1,000, the discount could be really massive, especially if you signed a contract for a number of years."
  • "For most of the projects, we use the standard license but for complex ones, we use the older type of processes, integrations, and licenses inside the solution."
  • "If you have a host of custom requirements (including licensing), make sure to set aside enough time for the initial setup because it can take up to a few weeks depending on how complex your environment is."
  • "There is a separate cost for technical support and extra premium features. The pricing should be simplified."

ME
Senior Solutions Architect at a computer software company with 201-500 employees
MSP
A straightforward setup with a good set of features and very good documentation

What is our primary use case?

We've had a full range of use cases. It's great for community colleges or remote workers. Onsite it can be on desktops or mobile. It has the ability to wipe mobile devices. You can lock them down or control them. Obviously, with COVID, the remote workforce has been a huge driver. I had one client that had a bunch of gyms where you got to work out and they deployed Workspace One across all of them and used that just to serve all the desktops. That way everything was uniform, and everything was the same patching level. It just simplified management. That's one example of a specific use-case.

• "The solution has very good documentation."
  • "I'd like to see expanded device support, particularly for IoT things like SCADA devices."

What other advice do I have?

I'm a solutions architect for a VMware partner. I supervise the implementation team. There are engineers that are out there that implement it and do the post-implementation support as well. Largely, we are working with on-premises deployment models, however, we're working towards a hybrid deployment. It's hard for some organizations to break the old ways of thinking. They mistrust the cloud and while on-site is tried and true, and something you can put your hand on, it's just an education process and it takes time for companies to come around to the cloud is just as good. I would advise…
Roshan Teeluck
Partner Manager North America at a tech company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Secure, easy to use, centrally managed, and works well

What is our primary use case?

We deploy AirWatch on the mobile devices of our employees.

• "You can put all your applications on a mobile device, be it a phone or tablet. It is secure and easy to use. Because it is centrally managed, you don't have to do any configuration on the phone. I just got the phone and connected to the central applications. I just downloaded one thing and everything got rolled out. Email, calendar, and other things were deployed centrally. If you don't have AirWatch, you have to configure your phone manually. For example, you need to deploy and configure your email manually and then synchronize everything. It is much simpler when a mobile device is centrally managed."
  • "Its performance is quite good on Apple phones or even mid-range phones. If you install an AirWatch on a phone that is not too powerful, you will have performance issues. That's only because the phone is not too powerful, and there is not enough memory, etc. They could do a lighter version for a less powerful phone. It would also be useful for very small companies that don't want to spend money on expensive phones. Having said that, I don't think that is their target market. If their target market is enterprise, all enterprises perhaps have an agreement with Google or Apple, and they would get a phone that has already been tested, and they know that AirWatch will work on that phone."

What other advice do I have?

I would rate AirWatch a nine out of ten. It is quite good, and I have a good experience with it. The phone has never failed, so it is working well.
Learn what your peers think about VMware Workspace ONE. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: August 2021.
535,919 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Thiago Lima Soneti Da Silva
Service Success Manager at a tech services company with 201-500 employees
Reseller
Utilization of many application, useful Kiosk mode, and helpful customer support

What is our primary use case?

The solution has VMware Horizon embedded which allows the utilization of many types of applications. We inform our clients how they can use this tool to convert applications and move them inside any type of device, such as tablets and smartphones. There is a lot to learn in the process, you need to create a new policy to include mobility and security. The security policy is important when it comes to mobility. You have VMware Workspace ONE with Horizon, to bring the older type of devices, such as bring your own device (BYOD), all consolidated in the same console. You can make many types of… more »

• "The most valuable feature depends on the use case of the clients. However, one feature I like is the Kiosk Mode. In the Kiosk Mode in most cases, the clients only can make available one application developed by the solution and permit the employee or the final client to use only this one application for interaction. This provides a security control layer limiting only one application functionally."
  • "There are other solutions that might be better for certain use cases. This is not an all-purpose solution."

What other advice do I have?

Apple and Google need to improve the APIs internally to permit VMware access to updates and use this to create granular security policies inside devices, such as smartphones and tablets. A lot of the time we have to use an older approach because Google and Apple do not release these APIs to VMware. However, they release the same APIs for their own solutions, for example, Apple uses their own configuration. I rate VMware Workspace ONE a nine out of ten.
AG
Technical Specialist at a tech services company with 201-500 employees
Stable and scales well but needs better training

What is our primary use case?

This solution is primarily used for mobility services. The solution has been mainly used for multiple platforms, including Android, Linux-based services, Windows, and MacBooks. If you want to access your organization data from anywhere, from any device, you do it via this solution.

• "We've found the solution to be easy to use."
  • "Technical support needs to be more responsive to our requests."

What other advice do I have?

I'm using the latest version of the solution. I'm not a client. I'm an architect of Workspace ONE. I implement the solution for clients, so I don't use it directly per se. I implement all deployment models, both cloud and on-premises. I'd recommend the solution to other companies. Overall, I've been pretty satisfied with the solution. I would rate it at a seven out of ten. It has all of the features I need. We just need to be better informed when there are new features or changes.
RR
Head Of Information Security at a energy/utilities company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Good policy-driven control and visibility, straightforward to set up, and the support is helpful

What is our primary use case?

We are using this product for BYOD and mobility management.

• "The most valuable feature is policy-driven control of the devices."
  • "When it comes to deployment and maintaining security, there should be an integrated console where you have a singular view of all of the products from the same OEM."

What other advice do I have?

Workspace One is a product that I strongly recommend. They are the leader in the category and it's a wonderful product. My advice for anybody who is implementing it is to focus on what they need to achieve in the organization and build a strategy for that. This is what the relationship with the product should be based on. My approach was to integrate my existing solution with the new one that was under procurement, and it was a good fit that met my requirements. I would suggest this strategy for any new product that is being on-boarded. For somebody using the cloud version, with reduced…
Jijo_Joseph
Managing Partner at Digitaiken
Streamlines employee management and supports many different operating systems

What is our primary use case?

I have used VMware Workspace ONE to manage and support the applications and operating systems (including Windows) used by staff in environments with all different kinds of requirements.

• "The feature with the highest rating for me is its employee management. I can also praise how versatile it is in terms of operating systems. It has good support for multiple operating systems and can easily manage them all. Not just that, but it can also support any kind of tool that can be run on all these operating systems."
  • "From an identity perspective, there is a lot of room for improvement when it comes to integration with other solutions. I would say it needs more capabilities in terms of direct integrations, including cloud identity solution integrations."

What other advice do I have?

I can surely recommend VMware Workspace ONE to others. I would rate VMware Workspace ONE a nine out of ten.
CK
IT Systems & Network Administrator at a transportation company with 201-500 employees
Quick to deploy, easy to set up, and offers good remote device management

What is our primary use case?

The product is a DM solution - a device management solution. It's for our users, for moving devices and laptops.

• "The initial setup is easy and the deployment doesn't take too long."
  • "The pricing could always be better."

What other advice do I have?

We're a customer and end-users. We've worked with resellers in the past. We're using the latest version of the solution. On a scale from one to ten, I would rate the solution at a nine. Its capabilities are good and we've been quite happy with it overall.
Mitul Rajput
GM COE at a tech services company with 501-1,000 employees
A very good product that is easy to deploy, manage, and maintain

• "Cloud-based VMware Workspace ONE is very good. It is easy to deploy and manage. Maintenance is also quite simple."
  • "Pricing is the only challenge right now. The licensing fee should be simplified a little bit. They have kept too many products as add ons. These need to be bundled with the low-cost, standard version. This will help customers in adopting this technology at a faster pace."

What other advice do I have?

We are the first master service in India. We are a service partner, and we are deploying this solution for our customers. A few deployments are on-premises, and a few are on the cloud. Cloud deployment is simple, but from the security point of view, few banks want to deploy it on-premises. I absolutely recommend VMware Workspace ONE. It's a very good product. They should keep improving the pricing and innovation of the product. Otherwise, the customer will not be convinced about the cost. That's the only problem. India is very cost-sensitive. Everyone wants everything free in India, which is a…
See 11 more VMware Workspace ONE Reviews