VMware Workspace ONE Overview

VMware Workspace ONE is the #3 ranked solution in our list of top Enterprise Mobility Management (EMM) tools. It is most often compared to Microsoft Intune: VMware Workspace ONE vs Microsoft Intune

What is VMware Workspace ONE?

Workspace ONE is a digital workspace platform that simply and securely delivers and manages any app on any device by integrating access control, application management and multi-platform endpoint management. It is available as a cloud service or for on-premises deployment.

VMware Workspace ONE is also known as VMware AirWatch.

VMware Workspace ONE Buyer's Guide

Download the VMware Workspace ONE Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: April 2021

VMware Workspace ONE Customers
Australian Sports Commission, Stockport NHS Foundation Trust, Lomond School, Merck, United Bank, Medical College of Wisconsin, Latymer Upper School, 2gether NHS Foundation Trust, Dowling Aaron Inc., Trillium Lakelands District School Board, Harrogate Grammar School, Duke University Football, Delta Air Lines, Adventist Health System, Giochi Preziosi, Cramlington Learning Village, Intermountain Healthcare, Safexpress, TAG Aviation
VMware Workspace ONE Video

Filter Archived Reviews (More than two years old)

AC
User at PCCW GLOBAL
Displays a list of mobile assets, but lacks the ability to "remote wipe" a stolen device

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use cases are mobile device tracking and corporate email push.

How has it helped my organization?

It provides a central repository of the corporation's different mobile devices.

What is most valuable?

The feature that we find most valuable is the corporate email pushing. It seems quite straightforward and efficient (most of the time).

What needs improvement?

The mobile device repository is somewhat difficult to manage with a large user base. I would like to see support for "remote wipe" in the case device of theft.

AY
Server Administrator Coordinator at a educational organization with 501-1,000 employees
Enables us to manage all of the devices on our campus through one central service

What is our primary use case?

We are a large school managing Mac devices on all levels. We manage the iPads, push education through the iPads, and AirWatch works great. We use it to do a lot of tasks for the school work - manage teachers devices, student devices, and lab computer devices.

• "We used to have a system before, Mac OS Open Directory server and this open directory became obsolete because Apple decided to stop the enterprise market, so there was no other alternative for us to use. We chose this to replace the open directory and we found that it has many more features than the previous solution. We totally rely on it right now to manage all the devices on campus."

What other advice do I have?

I would rate it a nine out of ten. They need to make it so that you can add more tools to work so that it can cover all of the management tools that you need to manage all of the devices. I highly recommend AirWatch because it covers the compatibility issue. For an organization like us, we have the same platform and want to manage multiple devices, and it is the best solution for us right now.
    Learn what your peers think about VMware Workspace ONE. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: April 2021.
    501,818 professionals have used our research since 2012.
    User at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employees
    Reseller
    Ensures that your data is centralized, secure, and doesn't get hacked

What is our primary use case?

It's all about centralizing your data and making sure that your data is centralized and secure. Instead of putting your data on a laptop, you can put it centrally and there you can have full control over it. It's about centralizing the data and making sure it's not jeopardized. It stays legitimate and unchanged. It doesn't get hacked. It's all about centralizing the data and having control over your data.

• "It's all about centralizing your data and making sure that your data is centralized and secure."
    • "The solution needs to adapt to the cloud based reality of the current world model. Some customers may have reluctance to this, but it is the next level for all of the big providers. Azure, AWS and Google are all on the forefront of cloud-based solutions."

What other advice do I have?

I would suggest making a proof of concept with a reseller that can give advice and set up the infrastructure using the use cases that you are pre-testing.
    KD
    IT Consultant/Program Manager at Thanachart Bank
    The standard features are packed with flexibilities

What is our primary use case?

The standard features and securities are packed with flexibilities to enable and disable in accordance with the customer’s business operational process and IT Helpdesk process.

How has it helped my organization?

I can get to know and respond to my work email instantly without any worry of company data and security.

What is most valuable?

I find the most valuable feature is the MDM on my personal iPhone.

Less than one year.

It is a stable product.

It is a scalable product.

Tech support is helpful and has quick turn-around for us.

How was the

HD
    Management Trainee at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employees
    The BYOD management console has smooth application performance.

What is our primary use case?

My primary use case is we have a BYOD (Bring Your Own Device) policy. The employees have their own devices and to separate the corporate data from the personal data, we are using Airwatch. We monitor all dual aspects; we monitor email management and content management.

• "It seems highly stable and scalable."
    • "In terms of the inventory management side, as in the invoice management, the stock management and the entire inventory of an organization is lagging a bit in comparison to Blackberry or other EMM solutions."
    Product Manager ( HP EG Enterprise ) at Ingram Micro
    We currently find it is a stable product. We do not have to worry anymore about our data.

What is our primary use case?

We currently have 50-100 employees, and are growing towards 100 employees. We use some of our devices quite confidentially, and we use AirWatch to protect those devices. We want to separate personal data, and the company data because our employees are using their personal smart phone to access our email. It is just for data the email.

What is most valuable?

I don't have to worry anymore about my data after I used the EMM.

What needs improvement?

I want to see VMware move the management to the cloud. For now, the management is the premise of our server, but we want to move it to the cloud.

Less than one year.

Yes, this product is stable.

What do I

Senior Consultant at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
    Provides IT with security control over email yet end-users have flexibility in accessing email

What is our primary use case?

We use it for containerization and email management, EMM.

• "It's all about securing data with the help of the email client called VMware Boxer. It enables the end-user to carry data in their mobile devices but there is containerization between the personal data and the organization's data. It helps enhance their security while still carrying their own BYOD."
    • "People who want to adopt this solution may be thinking about it from the end-user's perspective, but this solution is also very friendly for the people who manage it. It's administration-friendly."

What other advice do I have?

This is a reliable solution, not like other vendors which may be good in some areas but lack in other areas. When compared to other products, AirWatch is highly scalable, redundant, reliable, and easily manageable. People who want to adopt this solution may be thinking about it from the end-user's perspective, but this solution is also very friendly for the people who manage it. It's administration-friendly.
      AK
      Global Mobility Leader at a aerospace/defense firm with 10,001+ employees
      Self-service and automation, along with integration with major players, are key for us

What is our primary use case?

We use it for device management. We have an on-premise environment, we are looking to go to cloud, and we want to manage the device, manage the applications of the device, manage the contents, and of course, manage e-mail on the device.

• "For me, the integration of AirWatch with various enterprise components is something I like. The way they are partnering with various services, like security services, or some of the big guys like Google, Android, Apple, and including Microsoft; that's really awesome. And the way they look at providing functionality to create self-service and automation, that's really usefully and beneficial. That's where I see they differentiate themselves."
      • "One of the things that I want them to improve on, if possible, is the management of Mac devices, MacBook Pro, for example. They do it, but they have scope for improvement, in my opinion. It's not that it's that bad, it just a small need."

What other advice do I have?

It's important to understand your requirements: What is important, what is your environment, and what are you looking for? If you are a government company, that means you are looking at a lot of data protection, security is the highest priority. If your back office is Microsoft and you are looking at an integration with your Microsoft products, that would be a different thing. If you are a salesperson, with Salesforce and you're application oriented... it all depends. Each organization has different needs. It depends on your priorities, what you need in terms of making sure your productivity…
      Talent Acquisition Leader at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees

What is our primary use case?

We use it against security breaches. We have a lot of corporate information, which is highly confidential. We don't want that information to be leaked. We have AirWatch to avoid allowing everybody access to all the information and using it. Once an employee's device is enrolled, everything is under security, so there won't be any opportunities for security breaches.

• "If an outside person tries to track or hack information, it is not possible without us being notified."
      • "The console comes bunched together as a package and inbuilt. Its called Workspace ONE. Whenever we have an issue, we contact the service provider, and instead of a fix, we are just getting the next version of Workspace ONE."
      Solution Sales Supervisor at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employees
      Enables setting up groups with different deployment policies, but MBM/MCM could be better

What is our primary use case?

My customer is a Microsoft and Apple site, 99 percent of the system in Windows Servers, and the company gives every manager an iPad or iPad Pro (500-plus devices). We deployed the MDM functionality of AirWatch to control all devices and MEM is the next step. We are struggling in MBM/MAM because all the applications are IE compatible.

• "Among the most important improvements is the ability to set up different groups with different deployment policies."
      • "The Content Locker cannot inherit permissions for the Windows Public Folder. If they could integrate with Microsoft on this point, it would be the perfect functionality."
      music and programming with 501-1,000 employees
      Upgrades have to be scheduled, and the features we need are too expensive

What is our primary use case?

We use it for managing BYOD devices and also for government-furnished devices - we support the Department of Energy. We use it for about 1500 devices.

• "We can impose cybersecurity requirements."
      • "We're unhappy with the quality of support we get for it. We're unhappy with how upgrades occur, so we are migrating away from it. We have an on-premise AirWatch solution and for us to do upgrades we have to call AirWatch to be able to perform the upgrades. They're busy, and scheduling it is not timely enough for us."
      Security Architect with 1,001-5,000 employees
      Enables us to push security policies at the device level

What is our primary use case?

We use it for handheld devices that have been corporately issued. They can include recognized devices whether they are connected to inventory, sales, or route delivery.

• "The antivirus and the ability to push security policies down to the device are key features."

What other advice do I have?

I rate it at seven out of 10 because it doesn't fit perfectly into our framework. My advice would be, look for the right sizing and the right use cases. It may be that the solution we're using is perfect for another vertical.
        Senior Systems Engineer at a retailer with 10,001+ employees
        ​If you want decent support mechanisms, expect to pay and pay well

What other advice do I have?

Scope out your functional requirements, HA and DR. You will need to plan for upgrades continually to any on-premise infrastructure. Lots of bad code so never go latest releases. If you want support, expect to pay. Managed services can be a good option. Test, test and test.
        Solutions Architect at a comms service provider with 10,001+ employees
        ​Have a long term plan in place and spend more time on designing the solution before rolling out

• "AirWatch has one of the best User Interfaces and it's quite easy to figure out where particular items are within the menu system."
        • "AirWatch doesn't seem to empower IT admins to try new things or get creative with implementations."

What other advice do I have?

Have a long term plan in place and spend more time on designing the solution before rolling out. Never lose sight in what your key motivators are, whether it's enablement, scalability, security, or governance.
        Systems Engineer at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
        Effective and simple to manage. Support for more devices would be an improvement.

What other advice do I have?

This product is effective and simple to manage. It has more options that stand-alone products such as Anti-Virus or Exchange.
        iOS Developer at a computer software company with 51-200 employees
        Video Review
        With these MDM and mobile content management solutions, an organization can manage their applications without any concern for the end user losing important enterprise data.

What other advice do I have?

Right now, I'd rate it a 10 but that's because everything that I've looked at from an AirWatch standpoint that it says it does this, this and this, it has been able to do and do well. You have to realize I have some exposure to experiences where, "Hey, our product does this, this and this." Then we go do those specific things and the product doesn't do it. Whereas with AirWatch, everything that it said it would do, it did out the gate. There wasn't like, "That's the next upgrade," or, "We'll ... " That's my satisfaction. I think they should consider flexibility. One of the things with respect…
        Sr. Systems Engineer at a individual & family service with 501-1,000 employees
        It lets us see whether users have rooted their phones and allows us to set standards before letting phones onto our network. It lacks, however, app-level support.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend it, as it's very stable and robust. Make sure you stay current with it, and up to date.
        AirWatch Admin/Messaging Specialist at a government with 501-1,000 employees
        Great solution. Windows 8.1 could have more options to control.

Valuable Features

Whitelisting applications Remote enterprise wipe GPS device location

Improvements to My Organization

Ability to deploy smartphone applications

Room for Improvement

Windows 8.1 could have more options to control

Use of Solution

6 months

AirWatch does not have control over Windows 8.0 devices which were the first 100 deployed devices.

No issues with stability.

No issues with scalability.

Customer Service: Excellent customer service. Technical Support: Excellent technical support.
        Engineer at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
        MSP
        The solution offers a great deal of management for devices. But, the level of support still needs improvement
        Mobility Engineer at a retailer with 10,001+ employees
        This product enables us to replace all existing stores PDA running Windows CE with iPod touch.

What other advice do I have?

Plan ahead as much as possible. However if there is a need to make significant changes in the environment post rollout, Airwatch is able to accommodate that with the flexibility of their product.