VMware Workspace ONE OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

VMware Workspace ONE is the #3 ranked solution in our list of top Enterprise Mobility Management (EMM) tools. It is most often compared to Microsoft Intune: VMware Workspace ONE vs Microsoft Intune

What is VMware Workspace ONE?

Workspace ONE is a digital workspace platform that simply and securely delivers and manages any app on any device by integrating access control, application management and multi-platform endpoint management. It is available as a cloud service or for on-premises deployment.

VMware Workspace ONE is also known as VMware AirWatch.

VMware Workspace ONE Buyer's Guide

Download the VMware Workspace ONE Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: September 2021

VMware Workspace ONE Customers
Australian Sports Commission, Stockport NHS Foundation Trust, Lomond School, Merck, United Bank, Medical College of Wisconsin, Latymer Upper School, 2gether NHS Foundation Trust, Dowling Aaron Inc., Trillium Lakelands District School Board, Harrogate Grammar School, Duke University Football, Delta Air Lines, Adventist Health System, Giochi Preziosi, Cramlington Learning Village, Intermountain Healthcare, Safexpress, TAG Aviation
VMware Workspace ONE Video

Archived VMware Workspace ONE Reviews (more than two years old)

AC
User at PCCW GLOBAL
Displays a list of mobile assets, but lacks the ability to "remote wipe" a stolen device

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use cases are mobile device tracking and corporate email push.

How has it helped my organization?

It provides a central repository of the corporation's different mobile devices.

What is most valuable?

The feature that we find most valuable is the corporate email pushing. It seems quite straightforward and efficient (most of the time).

What needs improvement?

The mobile device repository is somewhat difficult to manage with a large user base. I would like to see support for "remote wipe" in the case device of theft.

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use cases are mobile device tracking and corporate email push.

How has it helped my organization?

It provides a central repository of the corporation's different mobile devices.

What needs improvement?

I would like to see support for "remote wipe" in the case device of theft.

AY
Server Administrator Coordinator at a educational organization with 501-1,000 employees
Enables us to manage all of the devices on our campus through one central service

• "We used to have a system before, Mac OS Open Directory server and this open directory became obsolete because Apple decided to stop the enterprise market, so there was no other alternative for us to use. We chose this to replace the open directory and we found that it has many more features than the previous solution. We totally rely on it right now to manage all the devices on campus."

What is our primary use case?

We are a large school managing Mac devices on all levels. We manage the iPads, push education through the iPads, and AirWatch works great. We use it to do a lot of tasks for the school work - manage teachers devices, student devices, and lab computer devices.

How has it helped my organization?

What is most valuable?

Managing Mac Devices with profiles. Pushing Apps to iOS devices.

What needs improvement?

The accuracy of the management function has room for improvement. It's important to us because sometimes we send a profile to the machine and it's pending but doesn't reach. And we have to go manually and push it. Also, Chromebook management needs a lot to be improved.

It's very stable despite the accuracy component that I want them to focus on improving.

Scalability is great for us. When we evaluated other solutions, they didn't meet our scalability needs.

We have it deployed have on our entire server. All of our accounts propagate to 1500 users. It's great to have all of our users being managed by one central service.

It's a newer solution and I use it at school so I always rely on their technical support. Sometimes they are great, but sometimes they are not.

I switched to AirWatch because it is compatible with different platforms like Windows, Mac, iOS devices, Chromebooks devices. The previous solution we were using did support Mac ONLY.

The initial setup was straightforward with the consultant's help, but without, I couldn't do it by myself. The documentation is not enough to do the implementation of the product. You still need a consultant to guide you.

The deployment changes every year and the policies change every year. The time it takes to deploy depends on how many devices you have. If you're like ourselves and have a ton of devices, it takes a month to finish the deployment.

For our implementation strategy, we moved on the groups of the policies that were assigned for each. Our strategy was to bend different policies on each so we can get the most of the features we needed to apply to each group.

We used a consultant from France. He was excellent and guided us through the setup of the contact and the implementation.

If you purchase it for one year, it is very expensive. If you get it for three years or up to five years, then you can bargain a better price.

Jamf Casper.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate it a nine out of ten. They need to make it so that you can add more tools to work so that it can cover all of the management tools that you need to manage all of the devices.

I highly recommend AirWatch because it covers the compatibility issue. For an organization like us, we have the same platform and want to manage multiple devices, and it is the best solution for us right now.

Learn what your peers think about VMware Workspace ONE. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: September 2021.
    541,708 professionals have used our research since 2012.
    User at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employees
    Reseller
    Ensures that your data is centralized, secure, and doesn't get hacked

• "It's all about centralizing your data and making sure that your data is centralized and secure."
    • "The solution needs to adapt to the cloud based reality of the current world model. Some customers may have reluctance to this, but it is the next level for all of the big providers. Azure, AWS and Google are all on the forefront of cloud-based solutions."

What is our primary use case?

It's all about centralizing your data and making sure that your data is centralized and secure. Instead of putting your data on a laptop, you can put it centrally and there you can have full control over it. It's about centralizing the data and making sure it's not jeopardized. It stays legitimate and unchanged. It doesn't get hacked. It's all about centralizing the data and having control over your data.

What needs improvement?

The solution needs to adapt to the cloud based reality of the current world model. Some customers may have reluctance to this, but it is the next level for all of the big providers. Azure, AWS, and Google are all at the forefront of cloud-based solutions.

I think the stability depends on the initial implementation. All of the use cases must be properly dealt with in order for the solution to be stable.

Scalability depends on the hardware platform you put it on. That's why we tried to put it on a hyperconverged infrastructure to keep the number of users scalable which keeps the performance momentum so that it can be properly scaled.

We used tech support but they have room for improvement.

Some users think that the cloud model will lower the cost but that is not necessarily the case.

What other advice do I have?

I would suggest making a proof of concept with a reseller that can give advice and set up the infrastructure using the use cases that you are pre-testing.

Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: I am a reseller
    KD
    IT Consultant/Program Manager at Thanachart Bank
    The standard features are packed with flexibilities

What is our primary use case?

The standard features and securities are packed with flexibilities to enable and disable in accordance with the customer’s business operational process and IT Helpdesk process.

How has it helped my organization?

I can get to know and respond to my work email instantly without any worry of company data and security.

What is most valuable?

I find the most valuable feature is the MDM on my personal iPhone.

It is a stable product.

It is a scalable product.

Tech support is helpful and has quick turn-around for us.

How was the

How has it helped my organization?

What is most valuable?

I find the most valuable feature is the MDM on my personal iPhone.

It is a stable product.

It is a scalable product.

Tech support is helpful and has quick turn-around for us.

The setup was very difficult. It was not as easy as I had expected.

The pricing of the product needs advisement. It would be great to bundle the VM products together. The actual box itself should be included in the license. At present, it is not paired with the mobile device. Furthermore, the Licensing Structure of the VMware products is expensive if purchased separately.

HD
    Management Trainee at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employees
    The BYOD management console has smooth application performance.

• "It seems highly stable and scalable."
    • "In terms of the inventory management side, as in the invoice management, the stock management and the entire inventory of an organization is lagging a bit in comparison to Blackberry or other EMM solutions."

What is our primary use case?

My primary use case is we have a BYOD (Bring Your Own Device) policy. The employees have their own devices and to separate the corporate data from the personal data, we are using Airwatch. We monitor all dual aspects; we monitor email management and content management.

How has it helped my organization?

It has improved our email management and the separation of personal and corporate data.

What is most valuable?

The management console is great. The BYOD management console has a smooth application performance. Whenever I choose an application, template or report, it is easy to use.

What needs improvement?

In terms of the inventory management side, as in the invoice management, the stock management and the entire inventory of an organization is lagging a bit in comparison to Blackberry or other EMM solutions.

It is a stable product.

It seems highly scalable. There are no challenges.

The setup was straightforward. There were no challenges during the initial setup.

When considering a vendor for our needs the primary concern is the technology. It should be  within the parameters that are required for our needs.I would definitely reccomend a free trial period to really get to know the product and whether it is a good fit for the organization.

The pricing and licensing are affordable. They are not too high.

Product Manager ( HP EG Enterprise ) at Ingram Micro
    We currently find it is a stable product. We do not have to worry anymore about our data.

What is our primary use case?

We currently have 50-100 employees, and are growing towards 100 employees. We use some of our devices quite confidentially, and we use AirWatch to protect those devices. We want to separate personal data, and the company data because our employees are using their personal smart phone to access our email. It is just for data the email.

What is most valuable?

I don't have to worry anymore about my data after I used the EMM.

What needs improvement?

I want to see VMware move the management to the cloud. For now, the management is the premise of our server, but we want to move it to the cloud.

Less than one year.

Yes, this product is stable.

What do I

What is our primary use case?

What is most valuable?

I don't have to worry anymore about my data after I used the EMM.

Less than one year.

Yes, this product is stable.

Our company is still pretty small, so I have no issues with scalability at the moment. I have heard that this VMware product can manage over 20,000 employees. We are not at that stage of need yet.

The premise is that you just have to install the software. We had already programmed the server. It was a bit complex on the setting up of the policy, at first. Once the policy was done, then we had to update. Every so often, we still need to update. It's not too complex.

I have no opinion about the pricing.

What other advice do I have?

VMware is the better solution versus other things that are out there. It is an EMM to help us problem solve issues.

Senior Consultant at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
    Provides IT with security control over email yet end-users have flexibility in accessing email

• "It's all about securing data with the help of the email client called VMware Boxer. It enables the end-user to carry data in their mobile devices but there is containerization between the personal data and the organization's data. It helps enhance their security while still carrying their own BYOD."
    • "People who want to adopt this solution may be thinking about it from the end-user's perspective, but this solution is also very friendly for the people who manage it. It's administration-friendly."

What is our primary use case?

We use it for containerization and email management, EMM.

How has it helped my organization?

Previously, my end-users would carry their complete email in their Outlook client. After we started using this solution, people started to use our actual email, with the help of the mobile client. It enables people to access their mail from wherever they want, whenever they want, and however they want. It enables users to carry a highly manageable platform and also a highly secure one.

In terms of IT, we can achieve security control, but from the end-user's point of view they have flexibility in how they use their mail.

What is most valuable?

It's all about securing data with the help of the email client called VMware Boxer. It enables end-users to carry data in their mobile devices but there is containerization between the personal data and the organization's data. It helps enhance their security, while still carrying their own BYOD.

Redundancy, manageability, and lack of complexity, are the typical things which make people choose VMware AirWatch.

Whatever product you choose in the VMware portfolio, everything is stable and very reliable. It is very controlled and very stable for product usage and in terms of manageability.

We have definitely not had any issues with scalability. It is highly redundant, highly scalable.

It is very easy to deploy. For the installation and configuration, we had straightforward documentation. With the help of consultants and architects, we developed the right design. They helped us to move forward.

If you ask me, in terms of installation, configuration, management, and monitoring, this solution is far better than others.

In terms of pricing, this solution is definitely much more expensive compared to other solutions, like MobileIron or MaaS360 or any other product in the market. This solution is more expensive by 30 or 40 percent. That is very hard because, while enterprise companies can afford for this pricing, if you look at the SMB sector, they can't afford this pricing, and they won't adopt this kind of technology.

We did a pilot of MaaS360.

When compared to other mobility solutions:

We think VMware AirWatch stands ahead of the other solutions. Other players can improve their functionalities and features by looking at the features of VMware AirWatch. This product is much more stable, much more compliant, and much more redundant. Also, rolling out the solution is much easier when compared to other products or vendors.

What other advice do I have?

This is a reliable solution, not like other vendors which may be good in some areas but lack in other areas. When compared to other products, AirWatch is highly scalable, redundant, reliable, and easily manageable. People who want to adopt this solution may be thinking about it from the end-user's perspective, but this solution is also very friendly for the people who manage it. It's administration-friendly.

AK
      Global Mobility Leader at a aerospace/defense firm with 10,001+ employees
      Self-service and automation, along with integration with major players, are key for us

• "For me, the integration of AirWatch with various enterprise components is something I like. The way they are partnering with various services, like security services, or some of the big guys like Google, Android, Apple, and including Microsoft; that's really awesome. And the way they look at providing functionality to create self-service and automation, that's really usefully and beneficial. That's where I see they differentiate themselves."
      • "One of the things that I want them to improve on, if possible, is the management of Mac devices, MacBook Pro, for example. They do it, but they have scope for improvement, in my opinion. It's not that it's that bad, it just a small need."

What is our primary use case?

We use it for device management. We have an on-premise environment, we are looking to go to cloud, and we want to manage the device, manage the applications of the device, manage the contents, and of course, manage e-mail on the device.

How has it helped my organization?

There are various MDM vendors, and I've used at least five of them. The reason I prefer AirWatch is simply because it helps me to think more in terms of a future perspective. It has given me the right tools for my enterprise. That's the key thing. It aligns with our IT strategy in a very good way.

What is most valuable?

What needs improvement?

AirWatch has all the features. One of the things that I want them to improve on, if possible, is the management of Mac devices, MacBook Pro, for example. They do it, but they have scope for improvement, in my opinion. It's not that it's that bad, it's just a small need. They have set the bar very high already so that's the expectation.

Three to five years.

It's absolutely stable, no issues.

We have a large instance. We have tens of thousands of devices already, and I don't think there are any issues at that scale. We are probably one of the top-10 customers in terms of scale.

Technical support is really awesome. They follow up, they have it 24/7, they handle things in multiple regions. It's not like just one person will be there and they're not responsive. They are responsive, they ensure that they give the right priority to their customers. If it's a critical item, which means it's a showstopper, they do help us immediately and ensure that there is proper follow-up among the team members. It's not like they leave you hanging there. There are very good documented records in terms of what actions have been taken, and what the next engineer is going to come in and do.

I was the one who set it up. It was not complex, it was an appliance-based setup and it was pretty easy. AirWatch was there, but I was the one who was there from day one.

What other advice do I have?

It's important to understand your requirements: What is important, what is your environment, and what are you looking for? If you are a government company, that means you are looking at a lot of data protection, security is the highest priority. If your back office is Microsoft and you are looking at an integration with your Microsoft products, that would be a different thing. If you are a salesperson, with Salesforce and you're application oriented... it all depends. Each organization has different needs. It depends on your priorities, what you need in terms of making sure your productivity, your top line and the bottom line, grow. It's nothing like one size fits all.

When selecting a vendor, there are multiple things to consider, there is not just one. But one of the things I would really look at this moment, because so many vendors already give that, is the ability to do discovery/self-services analytics: How the solution is going to help. It should give some kind of a blueprint in terms of what's happening in an enterprise, so that you can take an informed decision. I would make analytics a key decision point.

I rate AirWatch at about nine out of 10. I would not give them 10 because there is always room for improvement. I have had no issues and it has been really awesome for me. I have been using it for five years, and I have seen how they have moved up on the ladder, how they've integrated, how they have gone forward moving into the enterprise, and the rate of change, of transformations. It's really excellent.

Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: We sell our products through them.
      it_user568986
      Talent Acquisition Leader at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees

• "If an outside person tries to track or hack information, it is not possible without us being notified."
      • "The console comes bunched together as a package and inbuilt. Its called Workspace ONE. Whenever we have an issue, we contact the service provider, and instead of a fix, we are just getting the next version of Workspace ONE."

What is our primary use case?

We use it against security breaches. We have a lot of corporate information, which is highly confidential. We don't want that information to be leaked. We have AirWatch to avoid allowing everybody access to all the information and using it. Once an employee's device is enrolled, everything is under security, so there won't be any opportunities for security breaches.

How has it helped my organization?

We are sending emails from one person to another person in the same domain. This falls under security. We need there to be no security breaches, when we are sending emails which are confidential. There can be no points of leakage. If an outside person tries to track or hack information, it is not possible without us being notified.

What is most valuable?

1. Application management: Apply application to users via a catalog or app store.
      2. Content management: Attachments, documents, PDFs, etc. and emails should be encrypted.
      3. Device management: Basic troubleshooting.
      4. Email management: Avoid email hacks.

It is stable.

Joseph Ma
      Solution Sales Supervisor at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employees
      Enables setting up groups with different deployment policies, but MBM/MCM could be better

• "Among the most important improvements is the ability to set up different groups with different deployment policies."
      • "The Content Locker cannot inherit permissions for the Windows Public Folder. If they could integrate with Microsoft on this point, it would be the perfect functionality."

What is our primary use case?

My customer is a Microsoft and Apple site, 99 percent of the system in Windows Servers, and the company gives every manager an iPad or iPad Pro (500-plus devices).

We deployed the MDM functionality of AirWatch to control all devices and MEM is the next step. We are struggling in MBM/MAM because all the applications are IE compatible.

How has it helped my organization?

The company used DEP to manage all devices previously. Now, with AirWatch (Workspace ONE Advanced) they can manage all devices and apps more easily. Among the most important improvements is the ability to set up different groups with different deployment policies.

What is most valuable?

MEM is valuable because all push emails can be monitored.

What needs improvement?

MBM/MCM could be improved. MBM can support specific versions of development tools. If VMware would let the customer know this more clearly, we would not need to waste time explaining this and delaying the project.

Also, the Content Locker cannot inherit permissions for the Windows Public Folder. If they could integrate with Microsoft on this point, it would be the perfect functionality.

it_user869985
      music and programming with 501-1,000 employees
      Upgrades have to be scheduled, and the features we need are too expensive

• "We can impose cybersecurity requirements."
      • "We're unhappy with the quality of support we get for it. We're unhappy with how upgrades occur, so we are migrating away from it. We have an on-premise AirWatch solution and for us to do upgrades we have to call AirWatch to be able to perform the upgrades. They're busy, and scheduling it is not timely enough for us."

What is our primary use case?

We use it for managing BYOD devices and also for government-furnished devices - we support the Department of Energy. We use it for about 1500 devices.

How has it helped my organization?

It makes us more efficient in managing these devices, in lieu of not having it, that's for sure. We can also impose cybersecurity requirements.

What is most valuable?

For the most part it works, that's valuable to us.

What needs improvement?

We're unhappy with the quality of support we get for it. We're unhappy with how upgrades occur, so we are migrating away from it. We have an on-premise AirWatch solution and for us to do upgrades we have to call AirWatch to be able to perform the upgrades. They're busy, and scheduling it is not timely enough for us.

There are features that we want like the ability to use Derived Credentials and things like that, which we can do with AirWatch, but doing so we move up into a different tier of licensing and the cost increases dramatically. To get the features we want, we can do the same thing with Microsoft Intune and we're going to see a product savings of over $70,000 a year.

it_user745155
      Security Architect with 1,001-5,000 employees
      Enables us to push security policies at the device level

• "The antivirus and the ability to push security policies down to the device are key features."

What is our primary use case?

We use it for handheld devices that have been corporately issued. They can include recognized devices whether they are connected to inventory, sales, or route delivery.

How has it helped my organization?

The benefit is that it helps our remote connections be as secure as possible. Also, being able to issue mobile devices increases productivity.

What is most valuable?

• Antivirus
        • The ability to push security policies down to the device

I think the stability is adequate, but I don't know for certain because we haven't actually stress tested it.

In terms of scalability, it has served our purposes, but I don't know if we go larger enterprise if it would be as satisfactory.

Our licensing is coming up, so we want to make sure that we either renew our current license or we go in another direction.

The most important criteria when selecting a vendor include reliability, the ease of obtaining technical support, and responsiveness. And of course, price.

What other advice do I have?

I rate it at seven out of 10 because it doesn't fit perfectly into our framework.

My advice would be, look for the right sizing and the right use cases. It may be that the solution we're using is perfect for another vertical.

it_user583992
        Senior Systems Engineer at a retailer with 10,001+ employees
        ​If you want decent support mechanisms, expect to pay and pay well

What is most valuable?

• Easy to navigate interface for admins
        • Integration with Cisco ISE and other third party applications utilizing REST and SOAP APIs.
        • AD/SMTP/Certificate Integration (SCEP/DCOM)
        • Feature-rich, including integration with other VMware products (Content Management/Mail/VPN/SandPit).
        • Zero day support for new Mobile OS firmware – fast to market on new API’s available.

How has it helped my organization?

By allowing us to centrally manage cross-platform mobile devices for corporate and BYOD.

What needs improvement?

• QA – better code execution
        • Apple Mac management is troublesome
        • Documentation prerequisites often leave out important information.
        • Support in general; We have many issues that have never been fixed.

I've used this solution for six years.

• On-premise comes with challenges with upgrades and new features (SEG/Powershell)
        • Many bugs with every version release of both the console and AirWatch Apps/products. Often bringing back old documented issues in new releases.

Yes. Way too many servers needed for additional functionality which becomes very complex.

If you want decent support mechanisms, expect to pay and pay well. Otherwise, the process is time consuming often covering the same processors multiples times. The first point of contact takes notes of the issue with no product knowledge.

The next escalation is slow and often just asks for logs and is not helpful. If you are implementing a new service or upgrading expect to be charged for professional services even if you believe this is a support issue.

I have used many solutions over the past five years. They all have pros and cons and, unfortunately, no silver bullet.

Setup is complex in a large or on-premise environment. Recommend SaaS model for most scenarios, but still complex once you start plugging in the additional features.

VMware is expensive and continues to raise licensing costs year on year. Business model is to separate services so you need more servers which if you are a VMWare customer cost you more in licensing costs.

Also, I've noticed that the minimum hardware specs for your servers continue to be raised.

I have evaluated the other main players. MobileIron is built by engineers, not sales teams. Infrastructure is relatively simple and does what it says on the tin well.

AirWatch has many more features but is not always implemented well. The rest are all trying to catch up or are specialized for particular use cases.

What other advice do I have?

Scope out your functional requirements, HA and DR. You will need to plan for upgrades continually to any on-premise infrastructure. Lots of bad code so never go latest releases. If you want support, expect to pay. Managed services can be a good option. Test, test and test.

TuPham
        Solutions Architect at a comms service provider with 10,001+ employees
        ​Have a long term plan in place and spend more time on designing the solution before rolling out

• "AirWatch has one of the best User Interfaces and it's quite easy to figure out where particular items are within the menu system."
        • "AirWatch doesn't seem to empower IT admins to try new things or get creative with implementations."

What is most valuable?

They have good functionality across all the major platforms, too.

How has it helped my organization?

It has allowed employees to access their apps from their mobile or tablet while on the go, essentially freeing them from their old desktop workstations.

What needs improvement?

There is a lack of a real developer community. AirWatch doesn't seem to empower IT admins to try new things or get creative with implementations. They are more happy to sell you one of their support subscriptions.

I've used this solution for six years.

Some features like the AirWatch Launcher on Android can be very quirky.

The enrollment process on Android devices has always created challenges with scalability.

Scalability on iOS is seamless if you have developed a try zero touch build via AirWatch's integration with Apple's DEP and VPP deployment programs.

A three out of 10.

I manage Mobile Iron environments as a professional service. Through previous roles, I also have had exposure to InTune, SOTI MobiControl, and IBM MaaS360.

Not particularly, they are all evenly matched here.

Don't make compromises when enticed by enterprise license agreements for other products that may include their own MDM for a substantially low price.

You should take out a dedicated license agreement of your MDM fleet and invest heavily in innovating in this space. I've seen many companies that buy into MDM and don't make a continued investment in evolving their use cases.

Zen Mobile, Good, Silverback, and MobileIron.

What other advice do I have?

Have a long term plan in place and spend more time on designing the solution before rolling out. Never lose sight in what your key motivators are, whether it's enablement, scalability, security, or governance.

it_user173805
        Systems Engineer at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
        Effective and simple to manage. Support for more devices would be an improvement.

What is most valuable?

We find this solution allows us to deploy apps more efficiently. We have a vendor that developed an app for their software for use in our company. We were able to deploy this custom built app easily.

We also find the Secure Email Gateway very useful. Active-Sync email routes through that server to the exchange server. With this configuration, we were able to lock down Exchange to only allow active-sync email from this server. We were able to configure the email settings within AirWatch to choose which extensions can be allowed on the email on the mobile device, as well as what app can be used to view attachments. There are alot of other options such as forwarding and screenshots that can be disabled, or restricted. We have implemented this with AirWatch Inbox to further lock down the email functionality and secure the email. We have also been able to deploy outlook settings to Windows desktop OS by using AirWatch.

I also like the ability to enroll devices in shared mode, which allows devices to be "checked out" by users by entering their username/password in the AirWatch app. Once they do this, their email is configured, and any apps, etc are downloaded. When they are done, they sign out, and the email and apps are removed.

I do like the remote wipe and how it allows you to locate a device if it is missing and delete the enterprise data, however these are limited on apple devices due to apple policies and cannot be changed by AirWatch. This will be the same on any MDM provider and isn't limited to just AirWatch. For example, if a device is stolen, you can't wipe it if they have it turned off. It will need to phone back home in order to be wiped. Now you can set a wipe after up to 10 passcode failed attempts which will help keep your data safe if it's stolen. You also can't force location services to be enabled by AirWatch. When enrolled, location services has to be enabled (or enabled later in the settings). AirWatch cannot force location services to be turned on due to Apple policies (and this will be the same for any other MDM provider). If the device is stolen and is phoning home, you can't locate it if location services was disabled or never enabled.

How has it helped my organization?

Jabber and other applications used often are easily able to be deployed and configured, as is e-mail. Email can also be secured more effectively with their product.

What needs improvement?

More functionality has been added for Windows desktop devices, and the options for Android and IOS has been fairly extensive already. The only recommendation I could make right now is continuing to add more functionality

We have had this deployed and in production for around 4 years now

No. The deployment is fairly simple.

We encountered an issue with the renewing of the APN certificate, which was due to a bug in the version we were running and was resolved in an update. We have had a need to move the database, and that was fairly difficult as documentation was sparse, and the first support technican said AirWatch would need re-installed. However the next support technician pointed me to the configuration file in the install path that I needed to change settings in.

This has functioned as we expected in scalability.

When we have worked with Customer service, they have most often been helpful, knowledgeable and timely. There have been some instances where they weren't great such as when I needed to move the database. The first technician stated we would need to re-install AirWatch, however I opened a case up again and the next technician pointed me to a configuration file that I just needed to update. There have been other moments when one technician states something isn't supported or possible, but the next technician would state it is and provide information on how to do it.

When we have worked with Technical Support, they have most often been helpful, knowledgeable and timely. If we got one that wasn't, we give it a day and open another case in hopes of getting a better technician.

We used the default exchange settings to manage e-mail however the settings for security and deployment are limited there compared to AirWatch. We also tried to Use Vipre MDM but it was very limited as well when compared to AirWatch.

The setup of AirWatch itself was performed by AirWatch, however the setup of groups, policies, apps, etc. was straightforward.

We implemented this product on our own. It was straightforward and fairly easy to implement.

What other advice do I have?

This product is effective and simple to manage. It has more options that stand-alone products such as Anti-Virus or Exchange.

it_user335925
        iOS Developer at a computer software company with 51-200 employees
        Video Review

What is most valuable?

Two of the most valuable features are the MDM, mobile device management, and the content management, the containerization management of apps so that I can have clients that bring their own devices to an enterprise as well as enterprise apps, and I have two different solutions of deploying applications to those mobile devices. There are a lot of other aspects other than security that are advanced features in AirWatch that I didn't see in some of the competitor's products.

How has it helped my organization?

From an AirWatch standpoint, basically a lot of concerns in the enterprise today are security. With these MDM and mobile content management solutions, an organization can manage their applications without any concern for the end user losing important enterprise data.

For instance, say a person leaves an organization, we can basically, even though they own the device, we can using AirWatch, wipe all the content that's enterprise related off of that device immediately. If it's an enterprise device and it gets lost, we can wipe that device immediately. AirWatch gives you the security built into their solution that's very robust.

What needs improvement?

I'm so overwhelmed and pleased with the solution that they offer. The solution that I had before was so difficult for me to use that I haven't been able to use it enough to find things that it's lacking. There may be things out there that it's lacking, but I'm not just aware of those at this point.

We use the cloud version. They have a on-premise solution of AirWatch. We use the cloud solution of AirWatch. We found that the responsiveness of that solution far exceeds the competitor products. We used competitor products for a while, and we were consistently encountering issues with stability as far as connectivity, time outs, but the AirWatch solution flawless as far as the cloud solution is concerned.

From a scalability standpoint, it looks like it's really, really robust, but we haven't had the opportunity to scale it up to a high number of users. Just from a scalability standpoint, for instance, the ability to take organizational groups and manage at a lower level of an organization with the multi-tenancy just kind of blew my mind.

I'm amazed that somebody thought about this in advance of the solution of the development of the product so that the solution that comes out would be a solution that you can have like three or four companies under one AirWatch instance. I was amazed.

I myself, haven't used them a lot. When I have used them, it's been stellar. They've been very responsive. What I really like is they have the support infrastructure that allows you to go to their forums and ask questions. I've shared a lot of information with other forum participants and finding solutions to the specific problems that others have had as well as the search capabilities inside the forums are really robust.

There were some issues that we encounter with respect to.... For instance, we would have partners that we work with that have their own apps and they want to put those apps on our devices and use our devices, or they want to have their own devices and use our apps.

The solution that AirWatch had where you can manage just content on a device, or you can manage a device itself as far as an enterprise device, was a lot more flexible, so we were able to put our apps in, say, the Apple App Store and allow our partners to download those apps onto their devices in a containerized solution that we can immediately wipe.

For the cloud solution, it was really straightforward. There are some, they weren't issues, I wouldn't call them issues, there was just some technical obstacles to overcome that were more organizational than anything else related to the AirWatch connector to sync active directory, et cetera with the enterprise.

What other advice do I have?

Right now, I'd rate it a 10 but that's because everything that I've looked at from an AirWatch standpoint that it says it does this, this and this, it has been able to do and do well. You have to realize I have some exposure to experiences where, "Hey, our product does this, this and this." Then we go do those specific things and the product doesn't do it. Whereas with AirWatch, everything that it said it would do, it did out the gate. There wasn't like, "That's the next upgrade," or, "We'll ... " That's my satisfaction.

I think they should consider flexibility. One of the things with respect to AirWatch, and its ability to be flexible in any type of enterprise, and as well as working with external entities from your company that your teams or sales people are working with to deploy whatever solutions to any of your clients. You want something that's going to change so you can adapt it to your specific business model or business environment.

We see what other enterprises are doing. We look at that. Then we also look at some of the Gartner materials that are out there. We use some ITIL Standards to do some evaluations. Basically, we definitely look at what's happening externally in the environment. As you know, this industry is changing so fast. Somebody has a solution but that solution is no longer relevant by the time we implement it.

it_user321159
        Sr. Systems Engineer at a individual & family service with 501-1,000 employees
        It lets us see whether users have rooted their phones and allows us to set standards before letting phones onto our network. It lacks, however, app-level support.

Valuable Features

• Mobile provisioning
        • Security
        • Some mobile application provisioning

Improvements to My Organization

It lets us see whether users have rooted their phones, and set standards before letting phones on our network. It has minimal OS levels, and provides the abilities to enforce security.

Room for Improvement

• Application-level support
        • Per-app VPN coming together

It hasn’t always been good, but getting better. We do quasi-hosted situations, so getting it to the right level took a while.

I don't have the visibility of this.

We haven't had to use it.

I wasn't involved in the setup.

Other Solutions Considered

We chose Airwatch because it has a good setup, is easy to administer, and the POC was good.

Other Advice

I would recommend it, as it's very stable and robust. Make sure you stay current with it, and up to date.

it_user177183
        AirWatch Admin/Messaging Specialist at a government with 501-1,000 employees
        Great solution. Windows 8.1 could have more options to control.

Valuable Features

Whitelisting applications Remote enterprise wipe GPS device location

Improvements to My Organization

Ability to deploy smartphone applications

Room for Improvement

Windows 8.1 could have more options to control

Use of Solution

6 months

AirWatch does not have control over Windows 8.0 devices which were the first 100 deployed devices.

No issues with stability.

No issues with scalability.

Customer Service: Excellent customer service. Technical Support: Excellent technical support.

Valuable Features

• Whitelisting applications
        • Remote enterprise wipe
        • GPS device location

Improvements to My Organization

Ability to deploy smartphone applications

Room for Improvement

Windows 8.1 could have more options to control

Use of Solution

6 months

No issues with stability.

No issues with scalability.

Excellent customer service.

Excellent technical support.

Engineer at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
        MSP
        The solution offers a great deal of management for devices. But, the level of support still needs improvement

What is most valuable?

The Organization group approach they have taken to manage both Device and Administrative access

How has it helped my organization?

It has help in providing administrators with a way to separate devices based on business use cases.

What needs improvement?

There are currently canned reports that provide a a great deal of device detail. But, there could be room for the solutions to allow for custom reporting for ad-hoc reports

3 years

This is an area that could use some improvement. we have had a few incidents where the level of support was not what it was pictured to be.

There are a lot of very skilled engineers well versed in all aspects of the solution.

We have used multiple solutions. We are responsible for service delivery so we are expected to be familiar with the main players in the industry.

It depends. On-prem is a lot more involved than SaaS. There are a lot of moving parts for the on-prem version of the solution that can be consolidates if it is the desire of the client/customer.

Vendor. We have had a great experience with all of our current clients.

Yes, MobileIron, MaaS360, Blackberry, XenMobile, Afaria, Soti, Good.

it_user164091
        Mobility Engineer at a retailer with 10,001+ employees
        This product enables us to replace all existing stores PDA running Windows CE with iPod touch.

What is most valuable?

1. The ability to use shared device mode for check in/check out for corporate owned devices.
        2. Vast numbers of REST API for automation and integration.
        3. Very flexible in provisioning and assignment of devices, profiles, contents and apps.

How has it helped my organization?

This product enables us to replace all existing stores PDA running windows CE with iPod touch.

What needs improvement?

1. Better reporting functionality and performance.
        2. Improved BYOD solution with true DAR encryption for iOS devices and a better UI for the Airwatch Inbox app.

Over 2 years.

1. We use a SaaS solution from AirWatch and the issue that we have encountered was load issue with automatic app push to 10-60 thousands of devices.
        2. Airwatch has quickly added additional resources so that future app updates deployment will not cause problems.

Yes, we have seen inconsistency for performance from time to time.

No, Airwatch has accommodated out expanding number of endpoints.

With Enterprise Service agreement it is a 5/10. Without Enterprise Service agreement it is a 3/10.

In partnership with a 3rd party vendor, I would rate them at 3.5/10.

Too early to tell as these are devices replacing existing PDA and we have just completed the rollout.

Symantec App Center.

What other advice do I have?

Plan ahead as much as possible. However if there is a need to make significant changes in the environment post rollout, Airwatch is able to accommodate that with the flexibility of their product.

Download our free VMware Workspace ONE Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.