vRealize Business for Cloud Overview

vRealize Business for Cloud is the #4 ranked solution in our list of top Cloud Cost Management tools. It is most often compared to VMware vRealize Automation (vRA): vRealize Business for Cloud vs VMware vRealize Automation (vRA)

What is vRealize Business for Cloud?
VMware IT Business Management Suite offers in three editions: Standard, Advanced, and Enterprise. VMware IT Business Management Suite provides transparency and control over the cost and quality of IT services. By providing a business context to the services IT offers, IT Business Management helps IT organizations shift from a technology orientation to a service broker orientation, delivering a portfolio of IT services that align with the needs of line of business stakeholders. With benchmarks providing objective evidence, IT Business Management also provides the fact-based approach needed to minimize the cost of IT while maximizing the value IT delivers to its customers. Greater transparency and alignment, and the continuous improvement of IT services they enable, support IT as it seeks to develop competitive advantage through major IT transformation initiatives such as cloud, mobility and data center modernization.

vRealize Business for Cloud is also known as VMware IT Business Management Suite, VMware ITBM, IT Business Management Suite, Digital Fuel.

vRealize Business for Cloud Buyer's Guide

Download the vRealize Business for Cloud Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: July 2021

vRealize Business for Cloud Customers
Rent-A-Center, SAIC - (Science Applications International Corporation), Tribune Media, iGATE, EMC, Deutsche Telekom, GEFCO, Banca Ifis
vRealize Business for Cloud Video

Pricing Advice

What users are saying about vRealize Business for Cloud pricing:
  • "The pricing model is complicated."
  • "It's expensive, which is one of the problems with this solution."

Leo Kennedy
Network & Systems Senior Analyst at a computer software company with 10,001+ employees
A VM estimating and billing tool that is stable, scalable, and has good technical support

What is our primary use case?

We have the complete VMware suite, including vRealize. We are using this solution as a chargeback tool for billing the respective business groups and project teams for our VM solutions. Our interaction with clients begins with planning. We meet with the client to discuss project requirements, expectations, and use cases. We collate the information and use this to recommend how much compute, storage, and neutral bandwidth they will need. Once we have those numbers in hand, we can easily size and bill the customers based on what was discussed. For example, a customer may want 100TB of storage… more »

• "The most valuable feature is that it allows us to compare the billing between the clouds."
  • "I would like to have an easy way of modifying the reference data that is used for the purposes of estimating the total billing."

What other advice do I have?

For anybody who is implementing this solution, my only advice is to learn the tool and then use it. I would rate this solution an eight out of ten.
KA
Chief Technology Officer at a tech services company with 11-50 employees
Reseller
Flexible hybrid or cloud automation by a product at the upper end of the product category

What is our primary use case?

Automation and obviously the commercial aspects of the product are our primary use cases. Traditionally, we were mostly using an on-premise infrastructure, but in the last few years, we have done more with hybrid deployments. So we are generally traditional on-premise deployments but combined with cloud technology. Our model has significantly changed in the last few years as per the needs of the market and advancements in technology.

• "The flexibility is the product's most valuable feature."
  • "The pricing model is complicated and would be more predictable if it were simplified."
  • "Better integration with other VMware toolsets would be beneficial."

What other advice do I have?

I would definitely recommend vRealize Business for the right situations. I think it works well especially for customers who are already on the VMware platform. Just to moving over to the cloud on VMware is much more simple than changing the platform. Switching platforms is not really worth the migration that is involved. On a scale from one to ten where one is the worst and ten is the best, I would rate Business for Cloud as an eight-out-of-ten. It would not be any higher because there are always improvements that can still be made to any product and, of course, I find the pricing to be an…
Learn what your peers think about vRealize Business for Cloud. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: July 2021.
521,637 professionals have used our research since 2012.
RT
Data Center Engineer - Wintel & VMware at a consumer goods company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Good cost management, good reporting and easy to understand

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution for our internal cloud or private cloud as well as for the external clouds. I also use it at home for my private cloud.

• "The product provides excellent daily reports."
  • "The solution's private cloud is much too expensive."

What other advice do I have?

We're just customers. We aren't sellers or partners. I'm not sure of which version of the solution we are currently using. I'd advise other companies if they decide to implement the solution, to make sure they are using the right sizes. It would be nice if they changed their pricing model, but I don't think that is going to happen. I'd rate the solution nine out of ten. It's very good.
TM
Solutions Architect and project manager with 11-50 employees
User interface has a new look and feel and it is very easy to set up

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case is to build a free communication environment for our customers and to validate the services of all organizations connected to the customer in different locations. Each location has its own IT, IT staff and IT infrastructure and we go to each of these to set up for them. The first step is implementing native ERS, IS, IAAS services, followed by PAAF or a similar solution. I'm a solution architect and project manager and we're a customer of vRealize.

• "The most valuable feature is that it has a very easy and adaptive look and feel, compared with some other cloud solutions."
  • "If you haven't established a vSphere cluster and you only have a single server to integrate, you can't deploy any service."

What other advice do I have?

It's a very, very good solution and comparing it to others, it's definitely a solution that works. From our point of view, we are in a native VMware environment and that works fine for us. I would rate this product an eight out of 10. If it were an optimal solution and more simple to use, I would give it a 10, but it's not.
Mohamed Zein
Datacenter Team Leader at a tech services company with 201-500 employees
A stable solution to assist with the billing and management of resources

What is our primary use case?

We are a solution integrator and this is one of the products that we implement for our customers. This product is used by cloud providers to help manage their private and hybrid clouds. It is essentially a metering solution for VMware.

• "The most valuable feature is the metering capability."
  • "The knowledge base is not available for the engineers, which is something that needs to be improved."

What other advice do I have?

My advice for anybody who is implementing this solution is to get as much information as possible from the vendor. It is important to understand it properly, in advance. If it is designed properly then you will get the best value because the scheme will be optimized. Overall, this is a good solution and we have not had any problems, but I can't say that it is perfect because of the issues with the documentation and knowledge base. I would rate this solution a nine out of ten.
Eric Preudhomme
Products Manager at RCARRE SA
Hybrid cloud environment with great automation, but the pricing could be reduced

What is our primary use case?

We are service cloud providers. Our company has approximately 150 employees, and in our cloud, we manage approximately 6,000 users.

• "The way the dashboard works with the main orchestrator to combine different types of cloud providers is helpful."
  • "It would be a good idea for VMware to be compatible with the most popular orchestration tools in the market."

What other advice do I have?

Except for the price, this product is excellent and I am content. Because of the pricing, I would rate this solution a seven out of ten.
Vedran Bojcic
Expert Coordinator for Support of Data Centers at a energy/utilities company with 5,001-10,000 employees
Stable, easy to install, and suitable for deployments of any size

What is our primary use case?

The primary case use of this solution is to learn about the provisioning of the virtual machine and for asset management of our hardware. The deployment model we are using is on-premises.

• "This solution has made us aware that we are over-provisioning our virtual machines."
  • "There are some kinks to resolve with the Web GUI user interface, as it freezes at times."

What other advice do I have?

I would rate this solution a nine out of ten.