vRealize Log Insight Overview

vRealize Log Insight is the #8 ranked solution in our list of Log Management Software. It is most often compared to Splunk: vRealize Log Insight vs Splunk

What is vRealize Log Insight?
vRealize Log Insight delivers indexing and machine learning based Intelligent Grouping, to enable searching, for faster troubleshooting across physical, virtual and cloud environments. It help monitors and manages Machine Data at Scale through analyzing massive amounts of log data and delivers near real-time monitoring, search and log analytics, coupled with a dashboard for stored queries, reports and alerts. Speeds correlation of events across an entire IT environment. vRealize Log Insight creates Structure from Unstructured Data by collects and automatically identifies structure in all types of machine-generated log data (application logs, network traces, configuration files, messages, performance data, system state dumps, etc.) to build an index for performing analytics. And it offers a pricing model that includes unlimited data and does not require buying licenses based on peak usage and worst-case scenarios.

Download the Log Management Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: June 2021

vRealize Log Insight Customers
Wildlands Adventure Zoo, Medic Mobile, IBM, Seventy Seven Energy, Baystate Health, Osis, Oxford University, Columbia University, Siemens, Cardinal Health, Ashdod Port, Vasakronan, Sydney Adventist Hospital, University of Derby
vRealize Log Insight Video

Pricing Advice

What users are saying about vRealize Log Insight pricing:
  • "The license cost for any other monitoring tool is too high compared to this product."
  • "Pricing could always be lower. If it were free, I would be more satisfied."

KayodeOdeyinka
IT Consultant/Network Security personnel at a tech services company with 11-50 employees
Virtualization with different operating systems that is easy to setup and has good support

What is our primary use case?

The primary use case for this solution is virtualization. Instead of getting additional hardware devices, we can add different compartments of storage in one hardware device. You don't have to get extra hardware devices, you just need one hardware device with different compartments, so you can save different tasks on different compartments in a secure server. That is the purpose of VMware on our server, and what works for multiple storage systems in a hardware device. That is what this solution is meant to do.

• "What I like is that you can have different storage locations for different applications."
  • "I think that it should be able to integrate with other third-party backup and recovery solutions, more that it does now."

What other advice do I have?

We are system integrators so we don't use this solution completely, we use the applications or services fully, we just make sure to go through the features and do our best to use them, and then we sell them. There may be some aspects that VMware needs to improve on, but we haven't used all of the features so it is difficult to know all that needs to be improved. We try to understand how it works, and the dynamics of the solution to sell it. It provides multiple platforms, you can use a Windows Operating System, you can Mac, and you can use Linux on a particular server. It allows us to do…
SB
Systems Operations Manager at a healthcare company with 10,001+ employees
A log analysis and alerts system that is inexpensive compared to the competition

What is our primary use case?

The primary use is for system log collection and analysis.

• "The setup and installation are very easy."
  • "It is very scalable and can handle a large workload."
  • "It needs better integration with third-party analytics tools."
  • "Log retention should have more options for user control."

What other advice do I have?

My advice to people looking at Log Insight as a monitoring tool is that it is good and that they can go ahead and go for it because it is a good solution. On a scale from one to ten (where one is the worst and ten is the best), I would rate the product overall as an eight-of-ten.
Find out what your peers are saying about VMware, Splunk, Elastic and others in Log Management. Updated: June 2021.
512,711 professionals have used our research since 2012.
RA
Infrastructure Engineer at a tech vendor with 201-500 employees
A scalable solution that works well with VM products, but has limitations in terms of usability

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case for the solution is for log management.

• "We are using it because we have a VMware product. It has its own built in dashboards for VMware products, and that's a good thing."
  • "The solution is a very good tool, but it has a lot of limitations. One of the main issues is around how you define your retention policy, for instance, in Log Insight. It doesn't have it. You can't define a log retention policy. You also can't define the destination or location for your logs. All of the logs are in one index or one bucket."

What other advice do I have?

I would rate the solution six or seven out of ten. It's very easy to use, but at the same time it has some limitations. You have to consider that if you decide to try out the solution.
PK
Infrastructure Expert at a tech services company with 501-1,000 employees
Has good dashboards and is simple to install and connect to the environment

What is our primary use case?

We use the on-premises version of this solution for log analysis and to find details about certain issues. My experience, however, is that Log Insight is not user friendly. You have to know a lot to find out how it works.

• "We use the on-premises version of this solution for log analysis and to find details about certain issues."
  • "Documentation is lacking, including some guide as to how to use the expressions. It is not clear how to look for a log, for example. Some examples in the documentation might be helpful. I think that VMware had good documentation, but it's no longer hosted. The documentation is not as easy to understand as it was before."

What other advice do I have?

I would rate this solution an eight of ten.
TV
Senior Specialist: IT Enterprise Systems at a comms service provider with 501-1,000 employees
Good interface and log search functionality but could use better pricing

What is our primary use case?

I primarily use the solution for a basic login switch. It's a centralized login server for us. When we have some incident or some log that we want to query, instead of querying directly to its server we analyze the logs and create our own specific queries.

• "The interface of the solution is good."
  • "The pricing of the solution could be improved."

What other advice do I have?

I personally am not actively using the solution for searching for logs or creating log analysis. I'm just using it for a few needs here and there when we have some requirements. It depends on a company's use cases, but I would advise that if they've got the infrastructure and it is all based on VMware, they should use Log Insight despite the price. I personally have more preference for the open-source tools but because of the price, also. However, Log Insight is quite good and very useful. I'd rate the solution seven out of ten. It's a good product, but it has room for improvement and could…
AliAmini
IT Consultant at ArioRasaneh
Very stable and scalable with good server virtualization

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution for the server virtualization for hosting services, and for some VDI solutions.

• "The most valuable feature is server virtualization. It's been very useful."
  • "The solution isn't user-friendly for admins."

What other advice do I have?

We use the private cloud deployment model. I'd rate the solution nine out of ten. I'd rate it higher, but the implementation is very hard. I would recommend the solution to others. They will save money is they use it. It's also good for maintaining the hardware.
AndreTaborda
Virtualization Engineer at a tech services company with 501-1,000 employees
A scalable solution that's well designed and offers an excellent trace log feature

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution to collect some data logs from the network device. This is something we're still developing out.

• "The trace log is the solution's most valuable feature. It's very helpful in troubleshooting problems."
  • "They should improve their web interface to make it more user-friendly."

What other advice do I have?

We use the on-premises deployment model. I'd rate the solution eight out of ten.
DK
Service Delivery Manager at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
Easy to set up and good pricing with a good root cause analysis feature

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution for complete log monitoring and management.

• "The root cause analysis feature is very valuable."
  • "I don't use the solution on a day to day basis, so I'm not sure what specifically can be improved."

What other advice do I have?

We use the on-premises deployment model. We're also platinum partners. In terms of advice to others, if they're looking for a basic VMware solution, it's okay. We've tried other options. Log Insight seems to be better than other solutions in terms of very good integrations and working out items to be able to log. I'd rate the solution nine out of ten. All of our must-haves are available in this product.
See 3 more vRealize Log Insight Reviews