AA
ICT Business Solution Architect at Cloud Technology
A hyper-converged infrastructure that is easy to install

• "Cost-effective and easy to install."
  • "Lacks integration of licenses so that it's an expensive solution."

What is our primary use case?

We are system integrators and IT providers.

What is most valuable?

The solution is cost-effective and easy to instal, it's just a plug and play. It also contains a ready VMware solution that I use to manage virtual machines. Finally, it is a hyper-converged infrastructure, so it's not a regular server.

What needs improvement?

A beneficial improvement they could make would be the integration of all the dealings with VMware to provide a license with VxRail so the customer can purchase it without the need to pay for an additional license for the VMware. If the license for VMware were to come together with the hardware at no additional cost, that would be great. Nutanix offers this package.

I've been using this solution for four years.

The solution is very reliable.

The solution is flexible, scalable and easily integrated. We can add to it at any time and it'll give extra performance and extra CPU.

Our engineers deal with any support issues we may have.

The initial setup is straightforward and can take up to four days. Deployment requires a technician and an assistant engineer to plan everything and get it ready to host the services. Maintenance is required but we receive documentation regarding updates and framework feature updates. We have five system administrators working on this product.

Dell VxRail is flexible and reliable and scalable. It's easy to restore without the higher cost. We're not comfortable with the cost of VxRail and neither are our clients. As a result, we sometimes have to go to other brands because the price of VxRail is not competitive. Not that comfortable with some projects so the recommendation is Dell can do the same price as the normal server. I know it's marketing plan, especially for Middle East. It'll be much better and we will buy all the required servers from VxRail not, as you know, you'll go to all hyper-converged infrastructure.

We also offer Nutanix to our clients. What Nutanix offers is not available in Dell or HPE. Nutanix has its own management system similar to VMware and is also easy to configure. Through the system, the system administrator can manage and ensure all the virtual machines or virtual appliances that will host the services. If they could change the licensing structure so there is no additional license required, it would be a great feature that would strengthen Dell against their competitors.

What other advice do I have?

I always recommend VxRail because of their scalability and flexibility, but sometimes the cost creates a barrier with the client. All of our clients who have chosen VxRail are happy with it, it's just the cost that's an issue.

I rate the solution nine out of 10.

BH
Enterprise Solutions Architect at a logistics company with 10,001+ employees
Highly stable, efficient, and great performance

• "VxRail has high performance and has great efficiency. There is a single place for us to manage all of our virtual machines. The ability to right-size instead of overcommit VMs is a large benefit."
  • "We do not use the storage part of VxRail, we use Pure Storage to map out the VxRail because the disk performance from Pure Storage was far better than the performance of the disk on the inside of VxRail."

What is our primary use case?

We have VxRail for Hyperconverged infrastructure for our Windows and Linux VMs. We have the vRealize Suite which helps us with lifecycle management and forecasting our environments.

What is most valuable?

VxRail has high performance and has great efficiency. There is a single place for us to manage all of our virtual machines. The ability to right-size instead of overcommit VMs is a large benefit.

What needs improvement?

I have found that Dell sales are the worst part of the organization or the blemish of their solutions. When they tell you, you are receiving something, and then down the road, you find out you actually have to buy something else in order to have the intended functionality it can be frustrating. We should have been told when purchasing this solution that we needed to purchase VMware Tanzu for private clouds.

I have used VxRail within the past 12 months.

VxRail is highly stable. I would rate VxRail a ten out of ten for stability.

The solution is scalable, it has the ability to scale up but if you go and you add clusters it can get a bit difficult. If you are adding everything new, you only add it, and then it becomes a part of a cluster, but if you started off with a small four-cluster and then you have a 12-node cluster then you want to move those machines, it can take some work.

The installation is straightforward we have never had a problem. They could improve on the process of adding clusters. For example, when you want to add a four-node cluster to a 12-node cluster, there is a whole lot of resetting we have to do on that cluster and put it back on. We do not understand why you can not add a cluster into the same management interface. This is something they should look into.

What other advice do I have?

The only advice that I would give to those wanting to implement VxRail is to make sure that they look at what comes with the VxRail package. For example, Dell offers vRealize, which is not private cloud. They mistakenly will say that it is for private cloud but all vRealize offers are lifecycle management, the ability to do costing, and everything between public cloud and a private cloud. They will tell you that you have to buy VMware Tanzu in order to get the private cloud features. When they initially sell VxRail as hyper-converged infrastructure, they also sell it as your private cloud but there is no private cloud functionality. You have to build that on.

I rate VxRail a ten out of ten.

Learn what your peers think about VxRail. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: November 2021.
554,873 professionals have used our research since 2012.
FV
Director of Maritime Geoinformation at ARMADA DEL ECUADOR
Elastic and scalable solution

• "VxRail has improved out organization because we are trying to be a little more proactive and elastic. We are trying to change our conventional approach to development."
  • "Deployment was not initially straightforward for us. We had an incompatibility issue that was very difficult for Dell Professional Service to solve."

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case for VxRail right is deploying management systems. We are trying to consolidate some infrastructure.

How has it helped my organization?

VxRail has improved out organization because we are trying to be a little more proactive and elastic. We are trying to change our conventional approach to development. So this kind of solution is very suitable for data and that approach.

What needs improvement?

It could be very interesting to integrate VxRail with vSAN Ready Nodes, which we also use. Both solutions were built by Dell. vSAN Ready Nodes is another family of products, but with the same building blocks as VxRail, I think. VxRail easier to manage and deploy, but it is a little more expensive, and vSAN Ready Nodes would work better for some of our clients' use cases.

It would be good to have both of these solutions on the same dashboard. We don't want to have two management domain. It would be great for us to have these two Dell solutions integrated.

Dell could do more to help customers understand the real value proposition of this solution, especially related to deployment and scaling. A lot can be done with this solution. For example, it can be used for coverage bonds for virtual machines or as a solution for disaster recovery. This is important for customers with critical infrastructures.

In-person training and online training tools could be great, as well. Including training in the bundle with the equipment would be beneficial for us.

We have been using VxRail for two years.

Ecuador is a small market, so we do not have much access to local tech support. There are a lot of local commercial channels and partners, but not so much technical support. I think we only have two or three channels.

Before switching to VxRail, we had a very common solution that utilized Blade servers. We switched because we wanted something more elastic and scalable.

Deployment was not initially straightforward for us. We had an incompatibility issue that was very difficult for Dell Professional Service to solve. We had people from different countries trying to solve it. We were deploying the regional product but something with the version was inconsistent. It was a special case, but was very difficult to identify and to solve. It took us about two days.

Once we solved that issue, deployment was very easy. It took maybe an hour and was really easy.

The impression we got from the technical papers was that it would be very easy and quick to deploy this solution, but it was not. However, after we dealt with those issues, the solution was very solid, very easy. It wasn't easy to configure, but right now it's very stable. We are happy with that.

Private Cloud
AV
Deputy Manager at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
Reseller
Easy to install, robust integrated solution, perfect fit for small and medium businesses

• "I would recommend VxRail, it works for most of the use cases."
  • "The technical support is good but could be better."

What is our primary use case?

We use it for provisioning the applications for customers. There are no specific sets of installations for using the solutions. We meet the customers' needs through their requests.

What is most valuable?

It is easily scalable, easy to manage, and has rapid provisioning.

What needs improvement?

In the future, they could provide faster performance.

VxRail has many components integrated into one solution. Instead of integrating many components, having a single component with VMware as a solution; this could be useful.

We have been using the solution for around three years now.

It is a stable product.

It is an easily scalable product. It is a perfect fit for use in small and medium businesses. For the larger enterprise, you can use it, but again it depends on the use case. If you have a specific use case that fuels for VxRail, definitely it can be used.

The technical support is good but could be better.

We have used other solutions in the past like Nutanix and SimpliVity but VxRail definitely has more advantages. Mainly it uses the VMware vSAN technology, and it is ever-evolving. It integrates with a large ecosystem of solutions. When you consider a large enterprise, these organizations require solutions that include security, scalability, and all the network components in place and integrated. VxRail is more capable of handling these complexities than any other product.

The setup is very simple.

We provided the deployment service and depending on if all the prerequisites are met, we can have it all completed in one day.

The price would be in the middle to the expensive range. It is not cheap. There are different licensing models as well which can meet the requirements of the customer.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend VxRail, it works for most of the use cases.

It is good to understand you can't have 100% of all the applications installed. It's never possible with a product like this. At the end of the day, it's a good solution. Whenever there is a need for IT infrastructure requirements, you can definitely consider VxRail.

If there are very specific requirements or things that are very specific to traditional infrastructure, they can go with that, or for intensive cloud-native applications, they can go with cloud. VxRail comes in the middle. It can extend to use all the applications but do have a proper study to get the right solution for you.

I rate VxRail an eight out of ten.

Paulo Xavier
Sales Manager at LTA-RH Informatica
Reseller
Stable with good software-defined storage and easy to set up

• "The stability continues to get better and better. It's pretty reliable."
  • "The solution should offer more integration with other virtual software. VxRail runs just with VMware, however, maybe it should integrate with Hyper-V or with KVM as well."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution as a platform for all of the virtual platforms using VMware. We change the traditional infrastructure and don't sell any servers anymore. We're now selling appliances and VxRail and change the traditional platform to the hyper-converged platform.

How has it helped my organization?

Our customers have found that there is better performance across all of the virtual platforms and the routings. Routing and running are now faster.

What is most valuable?

The software-defined storage and software-defined network are great. We can easily change to VMware on Amazon, or on Azure or on private Cloud running Vx. It's very flexible.

What needs improvement?

The performance of data centers needs to be improved. They need to process more and deliver more in the space of the storage and offer better performance.

The solution should offer more integration with other virtual software. VxRail runs just with VMware.

We've been dealing with the solution for three or four years now.

The stability continues to get better and better. It's pretty reliable.

You are able to scale up to 64 nodes at a maximum. It does scale to that size. I don't know of any client that would need 64. We have a few clients that have an installation of 16 to 24 nodes and that's rather sizable. Chances are you wouldn't have to scale quite as large as 64. Therefore, it would be a rare instance in which it wouldn't scale enough for a company.

All of our clients are quite large and government-related.

We've never had to reach out to technical support, not have our clients. We have an SLA, however, we really don't have many requests as the solution works very well.

The solution does not have a complex setup. It's very simple and very straightforward.

I've personally helped my clients with the initial setup. While I don't have all of the technical skills, I have a team that's very well versed in the product.

What other advice do I have?

We're a reseller. We sell the solution to our clients.

I'm not sure which version of the solution we're using. It might be the latest, which is the most likely.

We launch the solution on-premises in order to launch a private cloud.

Overall, I would rate the solution ten out of ten.

YA
Co-Founder and CEO at PT Eugenea Kreasi Utama
Powerful, user-friendly, and easy to manage

• "Updating the product has been very easy."
  • "The cost is quite high. It's a very expensive solution to run."

What is our primary use case?

We're using three nodes appliance.

What is most valuable?

VxRail is a hyper-converged infrastructure that delivers a solution with full performance. It's scalable and easy to maintain.

The replication capabilities have been great.

We find the solution easy to manage.

The product is user-friendly and easy to navigate.

We have had zero problems so far with this product. It's quite reliable.

There is good support on offer.

It's a very quick product.

Updating the product has been very easy. Often, they let us know that there is an update pending so we can expect it.

The features are very powerful.

There are a lot of great features on offer.

We've found the scalability to be very good.

The solution is stable.

What needs improvement?

The cost is quite high. It's a very expensive solution to run.

We purchased the solution originally in 2017. We've been using it for about four years or so at this point.

The stability of the product is great. We have not had any issues whatsoever and find it to be very reliable. The performance is good. There are no bugs or glitches. It doesn't crash or freeze.

VxRail is easy to scale out. That said, from 2017 until now we're using just three nodes. We haven't upgraded our VxRail to scale. Therefore, we haven't personally scaled.

Dell EMC support is very, very good. They offer lots of useful information and are very friendly. We find them to be helpful and supportive. We're quite satisfied with the level of service they provide. They offer very good after-sales support. YOu can even invest in premium support.

The product is very, very expensive, even when you are renewing. It's a problem for us as management is complaining about the price.

What other advice do I have?

I'm a customer and an end-user.

I'd recommend this solution to others. It has a lot going for it in that the performance is good and it's reliable. They have great after-sales support and is generally easy to maintain. However, it is a very expensive option and a company needs to be prepared for the price tag.

I'd rate the solution at a nine out of ten, however, if the pricing was a bit more reasonable, I would rate it higher.

Overall, I'm very impressed with the product.

Adeel  Akhtar
Team Lead IT Infrastructure & Datacenter at a financial services firm with 5,001-10,000 employees
Enables us to run all of our mid-layer applications and has good scalability

• "The initial setup was not complex."
  • "A more containerized approach in regards to the interface would be better."

What is our primary use case?

We use this solution mainly as a middleware application. We work in banking and use VxRail to run all of our mid-layer applications.

What needs improvement?

We would like to have on-premise technical support.

A more containerized approach in regards to the interface would be better.

I have been using this solution for one year.

VxRail is very stable.

We haven't had problems with bugs, We recently updated VxRail and we haven't had any problems.

If there are any issues, we just open a ticket and are connected with an engineer who helps us solve the problem.

We use two solutions: Vxrail with a hypervisor on VMware; and HyperGrid, with a hypervisor on Microsoft Windows, 2016. Both solutions are different and have separate pros and cons.

The initial setup was not complex.

We had an integrator from Dell to help us set up everything. I can't remember exactly, but I believe deployment took only one or two days.

Pricing its depend on your requirement well licensing is very simple all VMware and other license cost including in VxRail. But If an organization wants to buy a VMware enterprise license, then they need to pay separately.

What other advice do I have?

VxRail is a good solution, but it all depends on your strategy. We could build our own VMware cluster by buying a separate product. Technically, I could purchase a server and then built my own solution, but with VxRail, everything comes in one box, including licensing, Dell EMC and VMware — It's nice and simple. Although, if an organization wants to buy a hypervisor layer on Microsoft, then that's another story. There are many solutions available for this, including Cisco, which uses Unity to provide a hypervisor layer. HyperGrid uses Windows 2016 on its host operating system. It all comes down to your strategy and roadmap. You need to select your hypervisor first. If you go with VMware, then VxRail is a great choice; however, if you're not using a VMware hypervisor, then there are many other options to choose from.

On a scale from one to ten, I would give VxRail a rating of nine, simply because there is always room for improvement.

Thiago Souza
Solutions Architect at Net Place
MSP
A very good and fast platform with good throughput and scalability

• "My customers use it for VDI. It has been very usable and very fast to use with VDI. On the VxRail side also, it has been very fast."
  • "Its price needs to be improved. It is very expensive. NSX should be licensed together. It will make the network virtualization layer more usable. It would be better if they come together in a bundle, not separately."

What is our primary use case?

I'm a reseller. I've been selling VxRail as well as Nutanix for about one to two years. My customers use this solution as a virtualization server for general virtualization and also for VDI. I am currently selling versions 70 and 71.

How has it helped my organization?

For the main boot systems where all virtual machines are deployed, it has been very effective on the throughput side. We have a much faster deployment of the machines after they are located on the host disk as compared to the storage side.

What is most valuable?

My customers use it for VDI. It has been very usable and very fast to use with VDI. On the VxRail side also, it has been very fast.

What needs improvement?

Its price needs to be improved. It is very expensive.

NSX should be licensed together. It will make the network virtualization layer more usable. It would be better if they come together in a bundle, not separately.

It has been very stable. I haven't seen many problems with it, and I do not have any complaints about it.

It is quite easy to scale. You just need to add more nodes.

Our clients are both medium and large companies. Most of our clients have a virtual environment, and they use VMware as a traditional infrastructure and add VxRail to it. As the company grows, the usage of this solution will also grow.

Their technical support is very good. It is 10 out of 10.

The initial setup is quite simple and very easy.

I live in Brazil, and my customers are from Brazil. It is quite an expensive solution. It is more expensive than the traditional environment.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend VxRail because is simple to use and administer. It just saves time in deploying the platform. Most of the teams are already able to use VMs and have experience with that. You just have to improve a little bit of storage knowledge. It is not very much different, and you don't have to learn a whole new platform. It is easy, and you should use it.

I would rate VxRail a nine out of ten. It is a very good platform.

Product Categories
Hyper-Converged (HCI)
Download our free VxRail Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.