WatchGuard Data Loss Prevention OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

What is WatchGuard Data Loss Prevention?

Data breaches pose a serious threat to organizations of all sizes, as the number of incidents and associated costs are on the rise. Whether a data leak was intentional or not, it can also cause permanent reputation damage to your organization. WatchGuard Data Loss Prevention (DLP) is a comprehensive service that helps keep your confidential data private. It prevents data breaches and enforces compliance by scanning text and files to detect sensitive information attempting to exit your network.

WatchGuard Data Loss Prevention is also known as WatchGuard DLP.

Download the Data Loss Prevention (DLP) Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: November 2021

WatchGuard Data Loss Prevention Customers
Royal Yachting Association, Sunray Engineering
WatchGuard Data Loss Prevention Video

Pricing Advice

What users are saying about WatchGuard Data Loss Prevention pricing:
  • "It is kind of expensive. I buy it on the appliance. I always buy three-year total security."

WatchGuard Data Loss Prevention Reviews

Scott Morin
Owner / CEO at Midwest Technology Specialists LLC.
Good support and easy to set up, but it catches very little

• "I find that their tech support is excellent. And as a reseller, my relationship with my point of contact is also strong. WatchGuard does a good job of maintaining that."
  • "WatchGuard Data Loss Prevention catches so little. When I've implemented it, it just can't look at the traffic in a thorough enough manner to capture as much as it should. And I find that I'm disenchanted with all data loss protection solutions I've tested and looked at."

What is our primary use case?

The big issue with data-loss protection is the end-to-end encryption between the user and whatever site they're connecting to. And that diminishes the effectiveness of the data loss protection because it can't inspect all of the data contents. Formatting is still reliant on numbers, letters, and sequences recognizable as credit cards, driver's license birthdays, etc. There's a lot of other sensitive material that could be at a client site, for example, that doesn't have a known methodology. It can be challenging to set it up to recognize instances of information unique to an environment. Unfortunately, it's even the case with a company like Microsoft. I would compare it to the data loss protection within Office 365 and say that it has the same inherent problems that you see with any encrypted email.

What needs improvement?

WatchGuard Data Loss Prevention catches so little. When I've implemented it, it just can't look at the traffic in a thorough enough manner to capture as much as it should. And I find that I'm disenchanted with all data loss protection solutions I've tested and looked at. WatchGuard certainly is not any better or worse than the others. It's just not a technology I have much faith in.

You can get awfully granular in the setup, but it reminds me of antivirus software. True antivirus software catches very little. It's rare that antivirus software identifies a true virus. Everything's becoming more complicated, so now you need to look at detection and correlated threat response systems that are more effective than traditional antivirus. Data loss protection, I'm afraid, is kind of in that space.

We've used Watchguard Data Loss Prevention off and on for several years depending on the client's needs.

Overall, I have utilized WatchGuard solutions for at least 20 years. I have been with them as they switched from private to public ownership and back again. So I've been a pretty faithful user for an excessive amount of time.

I find that their tech support is excellent. And as a reseller, my relationship with my point of contact is also strong. WatchGuard does a good job of maintaining that. So even if you are not getting the best response from support, you have a method to escalate it. I have so few incidents where I need to reach out to support. My most recent incident was handled very quickly, but with my experience, I don't have to call them often. At most, I maybe contact them once or twice a year. I have a lot of WatchGuard devices in service with my clientele.

It's a very simple setup.

I've never licensed it as a separate solution. It's always included in the licensing that would be appropriate for a medical facility, so I've never purchased DLP as an add-on to their basic licensing. I wouldn't say that I can give you a straight answer. It's never even come up in conversation to license it as a standalone solution.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate WatchGuard five out of 10, but all of the data loss protection solutions I've looked at would be in that five range. I haven't found one that I would put much faith in.

Honestly, I think that data loss protection is just part of a whole configuration. Let's say you need granular control, reporting, and things of that nature. In that case, you need to do an extensive job configuring the firewall. It's probably insufficient to run the quick setup wizard and say that's good enough. So if you're looking to implement a feature like data loss protection, you probably need to have a relatively advanced technical person doing that configuration. So it's not difficult. But conceptually, to be effective, you need to have an excellent understanding of firewalls and firewall methodology.

AS
IT Audit Group Head at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Helpful email filtering security features and has an easy to understand integration

• "One of the most valuable features is that when we send emails and it gives a warning, you can configure those email addresses so that they can only send outside the email."
  • "There is a problem with the RAM - it's eating up resources. The RAM utilization sometimes reaches up to 80% - 95%, and what we do is just restart the firewall."

What is most valuable?

One of the most valuable features is that when we send emails and it gives a warning, you can configure those email addresses so that they can only send outside the email.

What needs improvement?

WatchGuard Data Loss Prevention could be improved if they would add a pocket-size, meaning limitations on the data size, where for example an email address can only send 25MB for a month.

In terms of additional tools, I would like to see more graphical reporting tools, with graphs, etc., that are very easy to comprehend. This is especially important if you are reporting to top management so they will fully understand what is happening in the firewall. You don't need to use technical terms or definitions, just show them the graph. That would be good.

I have been working with WatchGuard Data Loss Prevention for one year.

It is stable, though there is a problem with the RAM - it's eating up resources. The RAM utilization sometimes reaches up to 80% - 95%, and what we do is just restart the firewall. Maybe WatchGuard could get it higher.

The scalability is fine for small and medium enterprises, 10Gbps is fine and smooth.

We have 800 employees using it. But for maintenance and monitoring, we only have one IT personnel. It is easy to maintain as long as you have the knowledge and capability.

After five years we will upgrade and I hope that there will be a higher model for WatchGuard. If not we will be looking into other high-performance firewalls, like Stormshield, where you have 20Gbps throughput.

The technical support here in our country is different vendors or resellers of the firewall WatchGuard. So you just have to choose the most reliable vendor for technical support.

We are a group of companies. One company said that their support, their vendor, is good in technical support, but we also have another company saying that their vendor supporting WatchGuard is not that reliable. So it's a 50/50.

We have used the antivirus and also the Data Loss Prevention for USB. But I don't think the antivirus can manipulate your emails, so in terms of a DLP with regards to emails, we have firewalls.

We chose firewall brands based on a group of concepts and brand proposals. We analyzed the best functionalities, not only for Data Loss Prevention but also for the firewall functionalities. I got WatchGuard because of its cost and functionality.

Initial setup is straightforward. They make the integrations simple and easy to understand.

It is fast, only a day or two.

What other advice do I have?

My advice for anyone is to get adequate knowledge. Whatever firewall brand you are going to use, you have to train one IT person for maintenance and support. Sometimes, or oftentimes, you don't want to have to rely on the vendor or the technical support, but to rely on your own IT by making them knowledgeable and capable of maintaining and monitoring the firewalls. Then you're good to go!

On a scale from 1 to 10 where 1 is the worst and 10 is the best, I would rate WatchGuard Data Loss Prevention an eight.

Find out what your peers are saying about WatchGuard, Trustwave, Broadcom and others in Data Loss Prevention (DLP). Updated: November 2021.
552,027 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Andrew Ramsey
President at Precision Solution Group, LLC
Amazing support, good stability, and useful for compliance

• "It is something that we need for compliance, and it has been useful. Their support staff is also amazing."
  • "They need to stop the VLAN limitation. They have a VLAN limitation on the size of their boxes. It is the worst thing ever. They basically sell their boxes by the size and the number of VLANs it can handle, which is a real issue. You spend a couple of thousand dollars for a firewall, and you can only do 30 VLANs, which is extremely silly, as a matter of fact. It would be really great to have something for easier mass rule changes. It also needs a drag-and-drop function so that you don't have to constantly duplicate firewall rules. It would be nice to have such a feature because you got one WatchGuard, and you want to mirror its config and change a couple of things in another one and move some things around. It is not as easy as you would necessarily think. It is kind of expensive, and its pricing can be a little better for sure."

What is our primary use case?

We use it to meet our compliance.

What is most valuable?

It is something that we need for compliance, and it has been useful. Their support staff is also amazing.

What needs improvement?

They need to stop the VLAN limitation. They have a VLAN limitation on the size of their boxes. It is the worst thing ever. They basically sell their boxes by the size and the number of VLANs it can handle, which is a real issue. You spend a couple of thousand dollars for a firewall, and you can only do 30 VLANs, which is extremely silly, as a matter of fact.

It would be really great to have something for easier mass rule changes. It also needs a drag-and-drop function so that you don't have to constantly duplicate firewall rules. It would be nice to have such a feature because you got one WatchGuard, and you want to mirror its config and change a couple of things in another one and move some things around. It is not as easy as you would necessarily think.

It is kind of expensive, and its pricing can be a little better for sure.

I have been using this solution for a couple of months.

Its stability is good.

It is not very scalable. If you need more than 30 VLANs, you got to upgrade to the next biggest box. You have to change the hardware box and swap the boxes.

Their tech support is great.

We used a different solution. We switched because the other company was unethical. They did some unethical things that we weren't too happy with.

It is easy. The GUIs of WatchGuard System Manager and WatchGuard are different. You have to know where to go and look in both places to set them up.

We have four admins in my company for its deployment.

It is kind of expensive. I buy it on the appliance. I always buy three-year total security.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this solution. I would rate WatchGuard Data Loss Prevention an eight out of ten.