WebLogic Suite OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

WebLogic Suite is the #7 ranked solution in our list of top Application Infrastructure tools. It is most often compared to Oracle SOA Suite: WebLogic Suite vs Oracle SOA Suite

What is WebLogic Suite?
Oracle WebLogic Suite is an integrated solution for building onpremise cloud application infrastructures that span web server, application server and data grid technology tiers. It includes Oracle WebLogic Server, an application server for developing and deploying applications across conventional and cloud environments, Oracle Coherence Enterprise Edition, Oracle Web Tier, Oracle TopLink, Oracle Java Mission Control and Flight Recorder, and other component technologies.

Download the Application Infrastructure Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: September 2021

WebLogic Suite Customers
State Revenue Office Victoria, Colab Consulting Pty. Ltd., Reliance Commercial Finance, Center for Railway Information Systems, Sascar, Banca Transilvania, UL, Chhattisgarh Infotech and Biotech Promotion Society, MCB Bank, Pacfico Seguros Generales
WebLogic Suite Video

WebLogic Suite Reviews

Amir-Khanof
Technical Manager at Royal Visio
Reseller
Console and enterprise management tools are really easy to work and it handles all environments

• "Robust solution; console and enterprise management tools are really easy to work."
  • "Lacking a solution for smaller applications."

What is our primary use case?

I usually use the single model or the clustering model of the solution. We deploy the dual application, ADF application, and BPM application, and there is a different scenario for each of them even though they all use WebLogic services. Each use case is somewhat different. It is our customers that use WebLogic. I deal with mid-size companies and also enterprise size companies. We are resellers and I'm the technical manager.

What is most valuable?

WebLogic has a very robust server so the product is robust. If there are issues it's usually because there's been a misconfiguration or maybe the application deployed under the WebLogic server has errors. Another positive is that you don't need to go editing external files - the console and the enterprise management tools that Oracle provide for monitoring are really easy to work. The parameters and everything can be found on the console.

Another point is that it has a different way for configuring and working with the application server. You have the EM, the console, and the WLST which you can use the scripting for. You can even extract the WebLogic server from another dual application which can be used in a programming application so you have a console over their application service.

One other feature that is useful is that you can extract WebLogic from different scenarios and from different environments. Because it's based on Java you can run with WebLogic on a PC which has Windows on a server which has AIX or Linux or any other environments. It can handle all of the environments. There are so many good things about this application, I could go on for an hour.

What needs improvement?

I think the only area where Weblogic could be improved would be if they were to develop a solution for smaller applications. WebLogic is really a solution for enterprise companies, meaning that it requires a lot of RAM. Sometimes you're working on a smaller application but WebLogic still needs a huge amount of RAM for it to work. Jboss or Apache, on the other hand, would start with the minimum amount of RAM, for example, 300 megabytes and with WebLogic, you need 3GB or 4GB. Because it's very heavy, the extraction time is longer compared to other solutions. Jboss would start in seven seconds, whereas WebLogic would start in 40 or 50 seconds. If there was a light version of WebLogic that would be useful.

I would also like to be able to turn off features. For example, if I don't want to use the GMS, I can't turn it off.

I've been using this solution for 10 years.

This is a very stable solution.

The product has great scalability. It can handle many concurrent users because of its coherent architecture.

We don't need any support for this solution but many of our customers get the Patch Updates from the Oracle website.

I think Oracle WebLogic and IBM Websphere are the best application servers that anybody can use for the Java application. I haven't worked with Websphere but from what I've read it's good, although it's only relevant for enterprise applications. Oracle WebLogic can be used for both enterprise and standard applications, and also in the development environment.If you're looking at midsize applications, then there are other competitors as well, whether from Oracle, Jboss, Tomcats, all of them. For enterprise applications, I think WebLogic and WebSphere are the two main players in the market.

The initial setup of WebLogic is very easy. You only need about 10 minutes to start the application. Compared to other Oracle products, it's very straightforward and easy to configure.

I'm not involved in licensing. I know that Oracle has a site called shop.oracle and you can check it there. There is a support team and online sales team that could help with that.

What other advice do I have?

If you take the time to go through the documentation of this product and its features you'll become familiar with the enterprise standards. It's a good path to becoming familiar with enterprise architecture. Even from an academic perspective, learning and using this application server can be a good start to understanding what can be achieved with an enterprise application server.

I would rate this solution a nine out of 10.

AK
Technical Specialist at a financial services firm with 10,001+ employees
Scalable and stable with good transaction handling

• "The transaction handling of WebLogic and the way it is designed is excellent."
  • "Support could be better. The expertise when we have some Oracle WebLogic issues and challenges is not there. The issues are not being addressed in time. This really needs to be improved going forward."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution for the UI (user interface), as a middleware product that communicates between different servers including application servers and databases.

What is most valuable?

I think the way the managed servers and the load balancing as well as the threading have been distributed is very good.

The transaction handling of WebLogic and the way it is designed is excellent.

What needs improvement?

Customization is a bit of an issue for us.

I've been using the solution for five years.

We've been using the solution for five years and haven't had any issues with stability so far. There haven't been bugs or glitches. We haven't had crashes.

The solution is scalable. This shouldn't be a problem for organizations that need to expand.

We have about 200 people using the product currently. Mostly they are developers and testing teams.

We've contacted technical support in the past. They've been okay, but they could be better. Sometimes it takes a while to get answers and some individuals don't have a clear knowledge base. I'd rate it seven out of ten in terms of satisfaction levels.

We haven't used a different solution. However, we have a vendor who has created a product which is based on the WebLogic.

The initial setup was not handled by myself. We have a separate team that handles the actual installation of WebLogic. However, I didn't see challenges in the implementation and the team didn't raise any issues that I know of.

What other advice do I have?

I don't remember the exact version number of the solution we are using, but it's around version 12.

I'd suggest other companies shop around. There are other competitors. The cost and the actual purpose of the application should be considered before choosing any solution.

However, we can recommend this solution considering the stability and scalability that we have seen over the last five years.

I'd rate the solution eight out of ten.

Find out what your peers are saying about Oracle, F5, Apache and others in Application Infrastructure. Updated: September 2021.
540,984 professionals have used our research since 2012.
DM
Senior Cloud Infrastructure Consultant at a tech vendor with 51-200 employees
MSP
It has improved our security but the upgrades are complicated and the integration with other providers needs to improve

• "The program is scalable."
  • "I think the support could be much better."

What is our primary use case?

We mainly use this program for forms and reports, as well as application provisioning for Java and so on.

How has it helped my organization?

This solution has greatly improved security wise over the last couple of years. The user experience is much better now than it was in the previous version, version 12. And the new inference manager is also much better.

What needs improvement?

All the areas of this program needs to improve. The integration with other providers and the user management could be better, and the upgrades are pretty complicated. So I would like to see that being improved in the next version.

I have you been using this solution for almost five years.

The program is stable and we haven't had any issues so far.

The program is scalable. You can create domains so we're fine with it. We currently have around 50 internal users and we have customers that which are big, state companies or government companies that use our solutions extensively.

The first line of support in India is quite bad, but as we go further into the problems, we are referred to some really good technical guys, and they are really great. But it's not immediately opened as a priority one issue of support, so that's pretty bad.

The initial setup was complex at first, but we soon got the hang of it and then it wasn't too bad. To deploy it by hand takes a couple of hours, but provisioning with a custom script takes around 10 minutes. It depends on the environment it will be run in.

What other advice do I have?

My advice to others would be: don't complicate things. Keep it simple. On a scale from one to 10, I rate this solution a seven. I think the support could be much better. So perhaps the developers can work on that. Also, the WebLogic management console could be more intuitive or more up to date, because it's still the old console from version 10. Bring us up to enterprise manager or cloud control, which has been in design and very intuitive.

AA
Data Networking at a manufacturing company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Hosts our applications and we can control all of our services from one place

• "The most valuable feature is that it provides one place where you can control all of the services."
  • "The restart capability needs to be improved because it takes us 15 minutes to restart any application."

What is our primary use case?

WebLogic Suite is a solution that I use myself and I also provide services to my customers.

In my company, it is a standalone instance that is not connected to a cluster.

This solution hosts our Oracle Business Intelligence application, OBIEE, and other Oracle applications.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is that it provides one place where you can control all of the services. You can switch on and off individual services, which comes in very handy.

What needs improvement?

This is a heavy application, like everything that comes from Oracle.

Debugging with this solution is tough and a bit complex.

The interface is not very user-friendly.

I have been using WebLogic Suite for between two and three years.

We have close to 500 users.

We have been in contact with Oracle support, although not for this solution.

In general, Oracle support is good.

We did not use another solution prior to this one.

We only had to deploy this solution once. Since that time, we have switched it off and on every two or three months for maintenance.

We manage one of the instances ourselves, and the other one is outsourced to a third-party in the US.

Oracle is costly compared to the other solutions that we have. It is double the price of a similar solution that we use from Microsoft.

Venkatraman Bhat
Delivery Head - Database and Infrastructure Services at Tech Mahindra Limited
A robust and highly available solution that supports multi-domain concepts

What is our primary use case?

We are a company that provides IT products and services. My role is to offer solutions to end-customers and then we implement and deploy it for them. WebLogic is part of the solution that we offer customers because PeopleSoft and Oracle ERP products both use it. WebLogic runs as the middleware for solutions such as Oracle Business Intelligence and Oracle Retail.

How has it helped my organization?

WebLogic adds a lot of value to business and investments.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature are robustness, high availability, and multi-domain concepts.

What needs improvement?

Deployment and integration should be simplified. I would like to see the licensing policy simplified.

I have been…

What is our primary use case?

How has it helped my organization?

WebLogic adds a lot of value to business and investments.

What is most valuable?

What needs improvement?

Deployment and integration should be simplified.

I would like to see the licensing policy simplified.

I have been using WebLogic Suite for about 13 years.

The stability of WebLogic is really good. We have customers running billions of dollars in transactions using this solution.

Scalability is excellent. This is a five-billion dollar company and we have 125,000 users. There are many hundreds of concurrent users between ourselves and our customers. We do plan on increasing our usage.

We deal with technical support regularly and we are satisfied with them.

I wouldn't say that the initial setup is very simple, but at the same time, it is not. It needs an external person to do it, so I will say moderately complex, rather than very complex, and it needs an expert.

I would estimate the time for deployment between one and three days.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate this solution a nine out of ten.

Hybrid Cloud
Ifeoluwa Oshinowo
Database Administrator/Business Analyst at Soft Alliance
Great monitoring tools and very robust

• "This is a robust solution."
  • "There are sometimes issues with clusters."

What is our primary use case?

My role is to set up the solution for the application team. They use it to fetch data and I think for the main part they use it for ULT or APL. I'm a database administrator and business analyst and we're a customer of WebLogic.

What is most valuable?

I like that the solution is a bit more robust than the API. Also, the setup is straightforward so I rarely have issues in that area or with administering. I think the monitoring tools and the documentation are not bad.

What needs improvement?

For improvement, I think the area of clusters are sometimes problematic and we do have issues around that.

I've been using this solution for two years.

This is quite a stable solution, we may have had some initial issues but it's fine now.

I think the scalability is fine.

The documentation for this solution is very good so I haven't had contact with technical support.

The initial setup doesn't take much time although it really depends on the quality of the infrastructure.

What other advice do I have?

This is a straightforward application. It's easy to set up and use if you have the proper documentation, it's not overly challenging. There is a lot of documentation available and what you really need is the technical know how.

I would rate this solution an eight out of 10.

Operations Manager EMEA at a tech vendor with 201-500 employees
Runs smoothly but we have had issues with scalability

• "It integrates well with other solutions."
  • "Sometimes there are issues when we work on a VM because people use it to put all of their reports on it at the same time. Then I have to restart and rebuild the machine."

What is our primary use case?

Our team works on it every day but; I don't do the technical work. I'm an operations manager and I  manage the team.

What is most valuable?

It runs smoothly and everything works fine.

It integrates well with other solutions.

What needs improvement?

Sometimes there are issues when we work on a VM because people use it to put all of their reports on it at the same time. Then I have to restart and rebuild the machine. That is more of an issue with the users though.

I have around 10 years of experience working with this solution.

We have between 40 to 60 users who use this solution.

The setup was complex but there weren't any issues.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate it a seven out of ten.

The client is happy and there are some issues sometimes with the scalability but it's probably because of the users. Otherwise, we don't have any other problems. Sometimes there are issues with the reports.

SG
IT Manager at a tech services company with 11-50 employees
Easy to use and easy to scale, but needs better documentation

What is most valuable?

The solution's ease of use is its most valuable feature.

What needs improvement?

The solution needs to share more information in terms of training. There needs to be more documentation involved to help those who are completely new to the product.

I've been using the solution for one year.

The solution is stable.

The solution is very scalable. It's easy to add processes even if you are new to the solution.

We haven't had much interaction with technical support, so I can't speak to any direct experience.

We didn't set up the…

What is most valuable?

The solution's ease of use is its most valuable feature.

What needs improvement?

I've been using the solution for one year.

The solution is stable.

We didn't set up the solution ourselves. Rather, we hired our vendor to handle all of the implementation details for us.

A vendor set up the solution on our behalf.

What other advice do I have?

We use the on-premises deployment model.

It's a good product. I'd recommend it to others.

I'd rate the solution seven out of ten.

Product Categories
Application Infrastructure
Download our free Application Infrastructure Report and find out what your peers are saying about Oracle, F5, Apache, and more!